Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

10 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

A ketch owner asked a question about his 'missen' on a FB sailing group. 

For a ketch owner not to know the correct spelling of his mizzen, means that the dolt has not read one paragraph of text about the ketch rig. 

It's safe to assume his only knowledge of sailing has come from the text-less, Youtube Sailing channels. Scary. 

Dolt, "OMG, mizzen is spelled with 2 z's!! Who knew??!!!

Just fair warning that we could be seeing more sailors in the future with large holes in their general on-the-water knowledge. 

Maybe he actually has a sloop but he thought he had a ketch. “I can’t find my missen mast”

• Like 2
  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

Maybe he actually has a sloop but he thought he had a ketch. “I can’t find my missen mast”

Could be a muezzin mast. "It calls to me somehow. Everything is going fine, then the boat auto-tacks and faces Mecca."

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Could be a muezzin mast. "It calls to me somehow. Everything is going fine, then the boat auto-tacks and faces Mecca."

I hereby charge you with flagrant islamoboatia.

You are not required to say anything, but anything you do say will be stripped of context and used against you.

If you go to his website and read the paper there about estimating patreon pages you'll see that the estimates are wildly overblown. By about 10x.

- we will neglect Youtube revenue because it's very low.

- Patreon can allow subscribers to limit pledges to per month, not per video. 

- Uma has 2098 Patretons today. There are 3/7/33.50 pledge rates. I'd say 90% of people are pledging the $3 level. as a WAG. 10% are pledging at $7/month

- So... round numbers 0.90 x 2098 x 3 x 12 = 67 975

+ 0.10 x 2098 x 7 x 12 = 17 623  = $85 598

That's in the ballpark of what I expect, based on what Brian told me in 2016. 

If they were making 1.9M a year they probably would have upgraded to a bigger boat long ago.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, floater said:

and there you have it - the sailing world has been flooded by noobs because covid. and I guess many of them do in fact have couches.

From a FB group I’m part of.  Sure, if you have some power boat background you could jump into a 50’ sailboat and manage - but these folks are talking about sailing south from British Columbia to Mexico...pretty ambitious, methinks.

54A1CEAA-F989-4DBF-B488-8943A5D828F7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

If they were making 1.9M a year they probably would have upgraded to a bigger boat long ago.

Interesting since their most recent video was the first time I heard them ‘thinking’ out loud about a different boat.  My ears sort of perked up to that.  I figure it’s coming….

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

85k is good income while living on a boat,  not having a mortgage,  etc.

Yes, it is. But you're doing pretty close to a full time job in filming and editing videos. Dylan would know but I think a 50:1 ratio is typical ( editing : final product hours). That 1/2 hour video may have taken 25 hours to edit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

these folks are talking about sailing south from British Columbia to Mexico...pretty ambitious, methinks.

Look at a map. It's all downhill.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

85k is good income while living on a boat,  not having a mortgage,  etc.

Might be like NFL running backs, tho. Yeah, they make good salary -- for 2.5 years, on average, then they're out of the league with huge medical bills,  a permanent ringing in the ears, and, uh, limited employment prospects outside the Nightclub Door Monitor industry. La Vag and Delos have shown more staying power than expected, given the ephemeral nature of their medium; but if you sink $200k into a boat, live five years on $85k, then sell the boat at a loss and face the mortgage/job hunting/kid's college fund grind from zero.... I suspect it's a bumpy landing for many influencers, once the brand loses its luster.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Look at a map. It's all downhill.

But how do you stop when you get to the bottom?

No stop means sliding all the way to Oz, then falling off the bottom of the world.

Just now, TwoLegged said:

But how do you stop when you get to the bottom?

No stop means sliding all the way to Oz, then falling off the bottom of the world.

Get tangled in Mexican fishing nets, duh.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Get tangled in Mexican fishing nets, duh.

Damn.  That's obvious when you think about it.  Duh @me.

But it's handy, 'cos Oz doesn't welcome foreigners these days.  And if you fall off the bottom of the world you will crash into a Starlink satellite

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

But it's handy, 'cos Oz doesn't welcome foreigners these days.  And if you fall off the bottom of the world you will crash into a Starlink satellite

I prefer Terry Pratchett's universes.

maxresdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Could net you a quick trip to Serbia ?

9 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Might be like NFL running backs, tho. Yeah, they make good salary -- for 2.5 years, on average, then they're out of the league with huge medical bills,  a permanent ringing in the ears, and, uh, limited employment prospects outside the Nightclub Door Monitor industry. La Vag and Delos have shown more staying power than expected, given the ephemeral nature of their medium; but if you sink $200k into a boat, live five years on $85k, then sell the boat at a loss and face the mortgage/job hunting/kid's college fund grind from zero.... I suspect it's a bumpy landing for many influencers, once the brand loses its luster.

A beautiful, simple, analysis.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

A beautiful, simple, analysis.

If I built and was launching a new 50’ monohull I would give one to Brian and cut my boat show and print ad budget by half. I would spend 2 seconds thinking about it and give him the boat. I bet Brian indirectly sold more used Amels than anybody in history x10.

Then Brian can auction Delos to his Patreon fanboy followers, throw in some t shirts, old bikini bottoms and all those Polaroids and get 50% more than it’s worth.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Free Rangers Troy and Pascale are selling their boat. No word on future plans though. 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/clansman-30-1969/sse-ad-7484576/

Yes, I saw that. On the one hand, they're such a nice couple I'd love to see them get a loaner of some fancy cat for a year for marketing the boat. OTOH, I love their simple, honest, down to earth style and I'd probably lose interest in their content if they went that way.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

All good points.  But there is another way of looking at it.

Sportspeople are basically one-trick ponies.  Even at the top of the game, all they need to do to stay there is to engage with that ball effectively for 90 minutes, twice a week.  It helps if they are also not complete arseholes, but in most sports only the worst of the worst arseholes are ejected.

Some sportspeople maximise their earnings by making themselves into a media brand: e.g. David Beckham, though that seems to have been mostly his wife's work.  The players who do that have a chance of  career which outlasts their sporting prowess, but it's rare.  The rest of them are spoon-fed employees, cosseted by a machine ... and adrift without the corporate machine.

By contrast, those who have held a place near the top of the Sailing YouTube charts have had to deploy a significant range of skills, and sustain those skills week-in week-out for several years.  They do filming, video editing, customer relations, brand management, and usually merchandising, all on top of maintaining an ageing boat and crossing oceans.   And they do it all without any senior management above them to guide the way and mostly without reserves to cushion any blows.  And it's all done in  a small, cramped space.

That's quite a high level of achievement, and a lot of it could be deployed effectively on land.

For example, if Dan & Kika from Sailing Uma were to consider starting a business on land, they would be bringing to the table an impressive track which would be attractive to investors.  Same with Leo Sampson-Goolden, who has shown impressive project management skills and great leadership skill, as well as huge resilience and a lot of diplomacy.

All a long way from yer ball-kicker.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, Zonker said:

Yes, it is. But you're doing pretty close to a full time job in filming and editing videos. Dylan would know but I think a 50:1 ratio is typical ( editing : final product hours). That 1/2 hour video may have taken 25 hours to edit.

25 hours is 1/2 of a normal workweek for cubicle wage slaves. $85k/year for 1/2 workweeks seems...not terrible.

However, @Diarmuid's analysis of the end game is pretty brutal and probably correct. I personally, do not think that this is a sustainable, permanent way to earn a living, regardless of the success of La Vag and Uma.

Hey, you guys want to see something *really* painful?  I don't think this woman is trying to earn a living via vlogging, I think it's just sort of a personal journal but this is just "full cringe:"

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

However, @Diarmuid's analysis of the end game is pretty brutal and probably correct. I personally, do not think that this is a sustainable, permanent way to earn a living, regardless of the success of La Vag and Uma.

I reckon that Diarmuid's analysis applies to a lot of them, but as above I don't think it applies to those at the top of the sailing vlog pyramid.

I doubt that many of them think that the vlogging is a permanent job, but in this gig economy, permanent jobs are increasingly rare.  The high-achieving, multi-tasking, multi-skilled vloggers such as Delos, La Vag and Uma seem to me to have a lot of the attributes to thrive in that gig economy.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I reckon that Diarmuid's analysis applies to a lot of them, but as above I don't think it applies to those at the top of the sailing vlog pyramid.

I doubt that many of them think that the vlogging is a permanent job, but in this gig economy, permanent jobs are increasingly rare.  The high-achieving, multi-tasking, multi-skilled vloggers such as Delos, La Vag and Uma seem to me to have a lot of the attributes to thrive in that gig economy.

Among creatives, reinvention has been key to staying relevant in a fad/fashion-driven world. But changing your style, or image, or musical genre, or public image has to be balanced against alienating the existing fan base. Who got you where you are and loyally buy the next next album before it is released. And then maintaining high quality output in every mode.

The Beatles were quite good at this: mop-top Scousers riffing off Little Richard, sophisticated Mods toying with pop conventions, long-haired mystics fronting psychedelia, reality show drama (If we must fight, let's at least do it on mic!). Bowie was brilliant at it. He always wrote what he liked, and it was usually good, and he sold 140 million albums. He and many others griped about Let's Dance as a sellout -- but the songs have held up.

Among current musicians, Taylor Swift is prohibitively the ace reinventor working now: dreamy pop-country balladeer, whip-smart angsty girl, lipstick feminist, snaky villain, cottagecore Martha Stewart. All offering something new, all offering impeccable fan service. All on her own terms. And all of really good quality. (First time I heard TayTay I had no idea who she was. Was driving back from Colorado, when Blank Space came on the radio, and I just marveled at its structure, voice, and melodic lines: "Holy shit. Someone has been listening to their Fleetwood Mac! Nothing wrong with this song, at all at all.")

Collaboration is the other key to staying current, growing your audience laterally, and providing narrative. You aren't just sailing to Tahiti; you are hanging with the Finding Avalons!

Bowie with Tina Turner, Freddy Mercury, Bing Crosby, Iggy Pop, Cher, Donny McCaslin. Swift with Mayer, Bon Iver, Keith Urban, Phoebe Bridgers, The National.

There's a ton of work goes into that, and I have respect for those who sustain their careers while providing quality output.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

25 hours is 1/2 of a normal workweek for cubicle wage slaves. $85k/year for 1/2 workweeks seems...not terrible.

Uma could open a boat electrification consultancy, like Bruce Schwab did.  He is charging top dollar and booked indefinitely. 

Some of these people will just go back to regular jobs. Others jobs in the industry. Like the kid from Wicked Salty, which was a fun channel. He worked in boat yards, got some certifications, then joined the Coast Guard. Others like Parlay Revival could parlay their learnings into businesses of their own. There are lots of opportunities in life.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Zonker said:

If you go to his website and read the paper there about estimating patreon pages you'll see that the estimates are wildly overblown. By about 10x.

- we will neglect Youtube revenue because it's very low.

- Patreon can allow subscribers to limit pledges to per month, not per video. 

- Uma has 2098 Patretons today. There are 3/7/33.50 pledge rates. I'd say 90% of people are pledging the $3 level. as a WAG. 10% are pledging at $7/month

- So... round numbers 0.90 x 2098 x 3 x 12 = 67 975

+ 0.10 x 2098 x 7 x 12 = 17 623  = $85 598

That's in the ballpark of what I expect, based on what Brian told me in 2016. 

interesting. But perhaps worth noting your inside info is dated (2016), assumes patreon support of just 12 videos per year (slow says 32), and an average pledge of < $3.00 per video (slow says $6 - I believe). Nevertheless, this being the internet and all (and everyone's an expert - right?), I'll do some devil's advocacy here:

My thought is that a lucky few sailing channels were in the right spot at the right time when the world changed. Lighting has struck - and it has minted a few millionaires. Is it just a bubble? seems likely, but I guess the bells haven't tolled yet.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, floater said:

whoa - all top 10 raking it in, and Uma making 1.3M a year? I had no idea. so how much longer can they endure that 5ksb?

If it's on Youtube, it must be true, right?

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Among current musicians, Taylor Swift is prohibitively the ace reinventor working now: dreamy pop-country balladeer, whip-smart angsty girl, lipstick feminist, snaky villain, cottagecore Martha Stewart. All offering something new, all offering impeccable fan service. All on her own terms. And all of really good quality. (First time I heard TayTay I had no idea who she was. Was driving back from Colorado, when Blank Space came on the radio, and I just marveled at its structure, voice, and melodic lines: "Holy shit. Someone has been listening to their Fleetwood Mac! Nothing wrong with this song, at all at all.")

I don't follow this new whiny pop, but I found Blank Space on YouTube.  I didn't like the song at all, but I admire the numbers: just short of 3 billion views.  Wow!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I hope it's order to buy another boat

but they had just done some significant work to this one...i'm guessing they are experienced enough not to think that investment can't just be added to the sale price

2 hours ago, chester said:

but they had just done some significant work to this one...i'm guessing they are experienced enough not to think that investment can't just be added to the sale price

$50,000USD for a 45 year old 30 ft boat suggests other wise
Clansman 30 post osmosis treatment in good condition go for less than $20,000 USD.

Admittedly theirs is in better than new condition.

Sail boats in Australia are far more expensive than the rest of the world, for example a 20 year old Beneteau Oceanis 36 in like new condition is about $100,000 USD

24 minutes ago, jvodan said:

Clansman 30 post osmosis treatment in good condition go for less than $20,000 USD.

Still a small boat though. Lovely restoration job but it's still a small boat.

FKT

1 hour ago, jvodan said:

Sail boats in Australia are far more expensive than the rest of the world, for example a 20 year old Beneteau Oceanis 36 in like new condition is about $100,000 USD

so it looks like they're gonna ask for a bit of a return on their work, good luck to them...they seem like nice peeps

55 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Still a small boat though. Lovely restoration job but it's still a small boat.

FKT

any inside info on their plans?  different boat?  moving on to other things?

6 hours ago, chester said:

so it looks like they're gonna ask for a bit of a return on their work, good luck to them...they seem like nice peeps

Problem no 1, they are in Western Australia, the borders are still closed, so their market is very restricted.

Problem no 2, the used boat market in WA has been flat for about five years, boats are generally going for a 50% discount over east coast prices. A local guy who used to live in WA has been importing and reselling boats from the west for a few years with profitable results.

Problem no 3, Clansmen regularly sell over here for 10k, never heard of one going for 20k, this boat has an old engine and a dyneema rig, some insurers don’t count that as real rigging.

I fear they are dreaming…

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Lovely restoration job

And it seems like minutes ago that they were building that hard dodger.

Maybe they are starting a family. That boat would be small for that!

On 1/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, Diarmuid said:

Ketches and yawls are a calling, not for everyone. 

10 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Problem no 1, they are in Western Australia, the borders are still closed, so their market is very restricted.

Problem no 2, the used boat market in WA has been flat for about five years, boats are generally going for a 50% discount over east coast prices. A local guy who used to live in WA has been importing and reselling boats from the west for a few years with profitable results.

Problem no 3, Clansmen regularly sell over here for 10k, never heard of one going for 20k, this boat has an old engine and a dyneema rig, some insurers don’t count that as real rigging.

I fear they are dreaming…

BuT iT'S a FaMOuS bOaT! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

One more for the guaranteed 1 million income.. looks like splinters fron those decks

Boat looks like a liability

D

Didn't that guy go to jail in ZA? 

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Another million dollar taker...this one from the school of fibbing thumbnails

She reminded me of Wyeth's Christina. The undernourished crippled arms, I guess. Not clickin' though,...(nice try Dylan) 

625672765_ChristinasWorld.jpg.ad16ff47df3b8c12609ea1a3136e1878.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You’re right - the CW article link that someone posted above actually says six kids, not five (so that means Elegua’s kids per hull percentage figure might be incorrect). 

I guess when you’re 65 and your wife is 20+ years younger, I.e., nearing the end of prime child-bearing years, it’s in for a penny, in for a pound.  Five kids.  Have another, sure, why not.  Ya just gotta keep up to her.  Personally, I can’t imagine parenting babies at age 65... 

From what I was able to observe, the older ones take (some) care of the younger ones and so it goes...

19 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

She reminded me of Wyeth's Christina. The undernourished crippled arms, I guess. Not clickin' though,...(nice try Dylan) 

Also not clicking, but guessing she's an undernourished Asian model.

33 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

625672765_ChristinasWorld.jpg.ad16ff47df3b8c12609ea1a3136e1878.jpg

So you are saying this picture is the painterly version of that thumbnail :D  It took me several years of anchoring in Maple Juice to figure out which house that was. I didn't realize he erased the trees and the neighbors. Strange clan. 

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Also not clicking, but guessing she's an undernourished Asian model.

I think she is a digital creation of the Youtuber as is Wyeth's Christina. An apt analogy to the Youtube Sailing Life vs Wyeth's brush work, of a boat sailing.  

1915656829_Goodbyemylove.Wyethstudy.thumb.jpg.a6f701f91fb48c2492a1fe3950dfc4e7.jpg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Elegua said:

It took me several years of anchoring in Maple Juice to figure out which house that was. I didn't realize he erased the trees and the neighbors. Strange clan. 

I've still yet to anchor in Maple Juice Cove. Hopefully this season. I know many of these places by road. 

I can imagine folks just like the Olsens down many of those long necks on the coast of Maine, in those days(quite a few left today!).

The isolation must have been brutal and beautiful. It's a great old place to visit. 

989092021_Olsenchairwindow2.thumb.jpg.2e129f927efb91bb22a2f507a154b130.jpg

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

One more for the guaranteed 1 million income.. looks like splinters fron those decks

Boat looks like a liability

D

Hans and Ontong Java (this is II - I was sold in NZ some years ago) are (in)famous.

I wouldn't worry about the boat. Hans and his boats are well proven, and surprisingly fast, despite both their looks :D

Hans Klaar and his exploits makes for interesting reading and he is somewhat of a legend amongst 'his' type of people.

There aren't many sailors like him around anymore.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:03 AM, loneshark64 said:

If I built and was launching a new 50’ monohull I would give one to Brian and cut my boat show and print ad budget by half. I would spend 2 seconds thinking about it and give him the boat. I bet Brian indirectly sold more used Amels than anybody in history x10.

Then Brian can auction Delos to his Patreon fanboy followers, throw in some t shirts, old bikini bottoms and all those Polaroids and get 50% more than it’s worth.

I understand you almost can't find a Contessa 35 in Europe now, thanks to Erik Aanderaa.  Yeah, I'd give him a boat if I had a boat factory.

On 7/6/2016 at 5:41 PM, LB 15 said:

these guys are bringing in $107 a movie from patreon

On 7/6/2016 at 1:14 AM, dylan winter said:

one more for the genre

these guys are bringing in $107 a movie from patreon

The sad part is that there are people who have nothing better to do than spend money to support watching "essentially....nothing". To those folks I say "the world is full of incredibly interesting things folks...try some of them out!"

On 1/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Kris Cringle said:

A ketch owner asked a question about his 'missen' on a FB sailing group. 

For a ketch owner not to know the correct spelling of his mizzen, means that the dolt has not read one paragraph of text about the ketch rig. 

It's safe to assume his only knowledge of sailing has come from the text-less, Youtube Sailing channels. Scary. 

Dolt, "OMG, mizzen is spelled with 2 z's!! Who knew??!!!

Just fair warning that we could be seeing more sailors in the future with large holes in their general on-the-water knowledge. 

No wonder it’s hard to get insurance to go farther than across the bay.

6 minutes ago, Startracker said:

Isn't he married with kids?  I was pretty sure I read he was while reading about the build of the boat.

Hans Klaar has had / has different women in his life. Yes he has children too.

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

He was jailed for rape. The story sounds complicated. 

https://mg.co.za/article/2011-01-21-who-is-hans-klaar/

There is a good deal of uncertainty surrounding the stories surrounding the man. But the world is full of human beings whose name is never used in the same sentence as 'smuggling,' 'rape,' or 'severed head,' and it would be advisable for free-spirited young women to keep that in mind. Like, maybe don't get too close to Marilyn Manson, right? Or let Bill Cosby hand you a drink.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

There is a good deal of uncertainty surrounding the stories surrounding the man. But the world is full of human beings whose name is never used in the same sentence as 'smuggling,' 'rape,' or 'severed head,' and it would be advisable for free-spirited young women to keep that in mind. Like, maybe don't get too close to Marilyn Manson, right? Or let Bill Cosby hand you a drink.

You have to be careful how society treats people who don't fill the "correct" social roles, but yeah....I've tried to live my life so as not to be associated with those things...

When Harvey invites you to a private viewing at the Four Seasons....

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Elegua said:

You say how you totally love landscaping, and ask if Rudi can come too

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

You have to be careful how society treats people who don't fill the "correct" social roles, but yeah....I've tried to live my life so as not to be associated with those things...

Speaking of Jabba the Hut...

On 1/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, chester said:

any inside info on their plans?  different boat?  moving on to other things?

No, no inside gossip. They've been sailing, we've been sailing, 3 hours time difference etc.

Might drop them a line soon, see what they say.

I agree on the price, FWIW. No way I'd pay that and I saw first hand what they did to the boat so I know the work was first class. Yep, it's better than new. It's still a small boat suitable for 2 people as long as they can live in each other's space for long periods.

As for the dyneema rig & insurance, shrug, I have no insurance on my boat, neither do they, problem for people who insist on having it I guess. I'm planning on changing my standing rigging to dyneema. We hang $500K or more in equipment on the end of kilometers of 8mm dyneema in the Southern Ocean for ~12 months at a time. It doesn't break.

Mostly.

FKT

6 hours ago, Gerry said:

The sad part is that there are people who have nothing better to do than spend money to support watching "essentially....nothing". To those folks I say "the world is full of incredibly interesting things folks...try some of them out!"

You quoted a post I made 8 years ago? 

That is deep state level of stalking.

14 hours ago, low bum said:

I understand you almost can't find a Contessa 35 in Europe now, thanks to Erik Aanderaa.  Yeah, I'd give him a boat if I had a boat factory.

That's fascinating.  That's really the rumor on the street, that Erik influenced the pick up of old Contessas?

If so, you'd think that manufacturers that are experiencing slow sales might attempt to recruit popular vloggers for marketing purposes.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That's fascinating.  That's really the rumor on the street, that Erik influenced the pick up of old Contessas?

If so, you'd think that manufacturers that are experiencing slow sales might attempt to recruit popular vloggers for marketing purposes.

Hmm, I'm finding that hard to believe... though it sounds like a good basis for an urban myth!

They only made 80, I bet a good number have already been scrapped, or have deteriorated to the point where they ought to be.  There might be a few people that have added them to their shortlist but it seems to me that Erik is using the boat he has to do the sailing he wants to do, despite it not being the ideal fit. All credit to him- says a lot about the guy... but his videos don't seem to me to present the boat well- it's strong and seaworthy,  yes, but hard work short-handed and would be cramped with a crew... too much jib, main is hard work to manage. You need to run around the decks to handle the boat.

I'm not knocking it... just saying I don't see how his videos would influence many to seek out that boat...   Maybe that's my lack of understanding on how these things go!

I didn't know that there were only 80 made. With such a small sample size, it'd be hard to attribute Erik's influence to sales.

I agree-  I don't like the sail plan for singlehanded work (as far as choices of sloops go). I find a main-driven, fractional rig to be much friendlier. Otherwise, I like his boat.  He's "run what ya brung" as you say.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

you'd think that manufacturers that are experiencing slow sales might attempt to recruit popular vloggers for marketing purposes.

who's gonna tell him?

On 1/21/2022 at 1:06 PM, Lurker19 said:

This popped up into my feed the other day and I had a gander.  I don't know anything about the author, but he says he does economics and is familiar with YouTube income sources.  He also has a gaming channel, and I think those basically print money.  So, I'm guessing this is a better guess than most people can make.

Even if he's off by a factor of 10, the top 5 are making serious bank.

This chucklehead is still doing his schtick?  He was inaccurate about his first list years ago, and his assumptions are about as wrong as a particular English dood that keeps turning left.

Save us from nowhere college professors & retired gov't employees.

11 hours ago, AnIdiot said:

They only made 80, I bet a good number have already been scrapped, or have deteriorated to the point where they ought to be

Contessas were always well-built, well-finished and well-designed.   (That mid-70s Petersen one-tonner thing is not my taste, but the Contessa 35 is one of the better examples of the type).

That makes a Contessa more desirable than similar boats of a similar age.  The name has a v fine reputation.  So I expect that the scrappage level is low.

7 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

This chucklehead is still doing his schtick?  He was inaccurate about his first list years ago, and his assumptions are about as wrong as a particular English dood that keeps turning left.

Save us from nowhere college professors & retired gov't employees.

At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest....What assumptions?

v happy to issue corrections and apologies for specifics

D

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Contessas were always well-built, well-finished and well-designed.   (That mid-70s Petersen one-tonner thing is not my taste, but the Contessa 35 is one of the better examples of the type).

That makes a Contessa more desirable than similar boats of a similar age.  The name has a v fine reputation.  So I expect that the scrappage level is low.

Fair point. Would be (mildly) interesting to know. I had a quick google for an owners club or registry but virtually all the hits were for 26s & 32s...

I think I'm making an assumption around the regular UK forum advice on Westerleys, Moodys, Sigmas, Nicholsons, Rustlers compared to newer, typically French builds, more upmarket Scandinavian boats and older IOR C/R designs. In amongst all that chat I rarely see Contessas mentioned except for the occasional references to the 26/32, so I'm jumping to the conclusion that they are generally not objects of desire. Maybe says more about the contributors than the market! :-)

The 35s were good boats. Back in the day we used to race against one in our old half pounder, they were quick.  Our owner bought himself one to cruise when he got old as a result. He was very happy with it. Bit scruffy but a nice yacht.

2 hours ago, AnIdiot said:

I rarely see Contessas mentioned except for the occasional references to the 26/32, so I'm jumping to the conclusion that they are generally not objects of desire. Maybe says more about the contributors than the market! :-)

It probably does say most about the contributors, tho I am not sure what.  Forum contributors are not a random selection.

But if you follow the classifieds, Contessas hold their value well

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest....What assumptions?

v happy to issue corrections and apologies for specifics

D

Wow! I can't wait to watch that on a big screen tonight. A lovely piece on a small screen. 

• Like 2

I can believe it. Look at what Hal Roth did, still does, to the market for Wauquiez Pretorian 35s  All he did was buy one in his decrepitude and he’s been dead for how long? Not sure it does anything for the yard as they still had to get bailed out by Beneteau. 

7 hours ago, AnIdiot said:

I think I'm making an assumption around the regular UK forum advice on Westerleys, Moodys, Sigmas, Nicholsons, Rustlers compared to newer, typically French builds, more upmarket Scandinavian boats and older IOR C/R designs. In amongst all that chat I rarely see Contessas mentioned..

is it too much a simplification to lump all of these boats - assuming they are all seaworthy - into one of three categories - comfortable, elegant, or cramped? I think I know where the Contessa belongs..

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Look at what Hal Roth did, still does, to the market for Wauquiez Pretorian 35s  All he did was buy one in his decrepitude and he’s been dead for how long?

See, I'd take that as a warning.:P

From a sample size of one ... many less-experienced sailors looking to upgrade to a real cruising boat tend to think in terms of Big Passages and Great Stories and Heavy Weather and to gravitate to brands or models that have aura & pedigree in those fields. Tanya Aebi and the 79 Fastnet cemented Contessa as Small Boats That Do Big Things. (Same way Blondie Hasler's Jester has sold a lot of Folkboats, new and used.)

• Like 1