Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well dust off the moths in your wallet Scan...she has her own rattle my can so she don't have to get a real job thing going. The teaser and quick takes where you see her on a cat..well that is on the Vag. They are are a close knit bunch these Canasters as well as being very expert in cross personnel  promotion but without cross contamination. Pretty cluey this lot.

 

Yeah WOW mate. Didn't know that. Got that new look. Really unhappy with myself. Look - plenty of ex's in that category. Mind you she's lasted miles longer on a boat than my ex's so power to her. Branched off from her man 24/7?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

do they pay?

I assumed they signed up for the adventure in return for being filmed - but maybe that is naive  of me. If they are paying then that runs into insurance issues and boat coding. 

One girl was told that she could not update her face-book status until the film of her leaving had gone out.

I think that now they choose vivacous  patreons - hopefully with a large face-book groups. Follow the story were after people with large youtube followings.

I wonder what it is like sharing  50 footer with a boss who really wants you to leave at the next stop and is currently arranging your replacement.

These films are soap operas on water... so what is happening behind the scenes is anyone's guess. 

I dunno. But assume they pay a bit, have you priced a holiday like that recently + some F grade celebrity status?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

do they pay?

I assumed they signed up for the adventure in return for being filmed - but maybe that is naive  of me. If they are paying then that runs into insurance issues and boat coding. 

One girl was told that she could not update her face-book status until the film of her leaving had gone out.

I think that now they choose vivacous  patreons - hopefully with a large face-book groups. Follow the story were after people with large youtube followings.

I wonder what it is like sharing  50 footer with a boss who really wants you to leave at the next stop and is currently arranging your replacement.

These films are soap operas on water... so what is happening behind the scenes is anyone's guess. 

I seem to recall an episode where they had worked out the cruising budget in terms of dollars per person per boat month and everyone was required to pony up that amount.  But their finances may have changed significantly since then.  

Also, there are accumulated a year's worth of dreadful, long, self-absorbed blog posts on the Delos web site, from one of the current "new" girls.  I skimmed a few of them and IIRC there is some agonizing about whether she will "make the cut" for the next leg.  I didn't/couldn't read any of them in detail.  

I sort of had the impression that these people come on board for a pre-defined fixed term, unlike the departing semi-permanent GF you mention from years past. 

Speaking of personnel changes, I find it a little odd that, even when they tell stories about "the early days," there is never, ever any mention of the First Wife.  Or the cat, for that matter.  All of the laundry is not aired. For which, I suppose, we should be thankful.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toddster said:

Speaking of personnel changes, I find it a little odd that, even when they tell stories about "the early days," there is never, ever any mention of the First Wife.  Or the cat, for that matter.  All of the laundry is not aired. For which, I suppose, we should be thankful.  

Tody I get the impression he is a pretty cool and considerate guy and just being respectful. She has moved on, got married, children etc no doubt but I suspect still friends. Pretty common for relationships to go south after a pond crossing,  people get sick of each other and or one of them of the lifestyle. The current GF also coincidently appeared at this time so I'm sure she doesn't want to see a rerun of it for perpertuity. Remember also they were not prolific filmers back then and there are large slabs missing from that period NZ to Aust. 

I'm quite amazed how relaxed some of these people are at having the outside world continually peering into their day to day life. I couldn't cop that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

If they are paying then that runs into insurance issues and boat coding.

They aren't "paying guests" in the commercial sense. They are "sharing costs" which in the US (US flagged boat) is o.k. as a non commercial vessel. So it's still a yacht, not a passenger vessel. Insurers won't care how many crew you have aboard (within reason).

US Code of Federal Regulations

SEC. 506. PASSENGER FOR HIRE.

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.

"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies." Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

 

The UK is similar. See here:  https://www.crewseekers.net/how-much-should-crew-contribute/

 

 

 

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Z

that clears that up.

I must say I admire the Delos man's willingness to get involved in paperwork.  There are lots of bits of film with them signing into and out of countries, getting jabs etc.  With any luck I will have finished with scotland by the time they are independent.

Since I stopped racing I have only ever been asked for paperwork just the once - that was a glance at my third party insurance for the boat as I went through the sea lock half way up the River Nene.

The lock keeper apologised for asking for it.

Maybe if I had shaved that  morning and he would not have asked for it

 

D

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

They aren't "paying guests" in the commercial sense. They are "sharing costs" which in the US (US flagged boat) is o.k. as a non commercial vessel. So it's still a yacht, not a passenger vessel. Insurers won't care how many crew you have aboard (within reason).

US Code of Federal Regulations

SEC. 506. PASSENGER FOR HIRE.

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.

"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies." Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

 

The UK is similar. See here:  https://www.crewseekers.net/how-much-should-crew-contribute/

 

 

 

 
 

Yeah but when was the last time they made port in their country of origin. I think anything goes so long as you aren't in highly regulated country & keep off the radar. 

Who is the Ex Jack? Delos or LaVag

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

They aren't "paying guests" in the commercial sense. They are "sharing costs" which in the US (US flagged boat) is o.k. as a non commercial vessel....

Zonk that regulatory mumbo jumbo is worth bat shit in 3rd world...in fact bat shit is worth more. I have run commercial charters with the only local requirement being that I employed a local on board full time.

That was pretty successful in one joint so they then wanted me to join what we would call the local chamber of commerce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In some ways they are the ultimate reality/soap opera.  The on-board relationships are sometimes more interesting than the places.

La Vag have their massive cat but I fear that they may have signed a pact with the devil. The pressure is really on them. Boats can be high pressure places to live and run relationships. They are now living and working in a pressure cooker but with extra guests. My guess is they are working harder than they ever have.

Delos seems more paced

Dylan

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Whom were you referring to when you mentioned one of them had an ex wife & previous catamaran? 

If you go back to the beginning of the Delos blogs, it starts with cruising the PNW, en route to their wedding, with a furry cat on board. 

Apparently Brady later assumed the role of the cat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That thing is only a baby, we have frill-necked lizards bigger than that. Why doesn't she tackle a real reptile.

FKT

yup try a leisurely paddle in the Markham at Lae P.N.G, or for that matter the Mission river at Weipa.......far from cute and kissable ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your the weird one slinking around this beauty parlour...the back, sac and crack wax doorway is down the corridor.

More cackling from the head hen, carry on chicken little. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bryanjb said:

You all sound like a bunch of women discussing a soap. 

Sounds like you have had a bad experience picking it up in the shower at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently I need to stop in more often, you kids get up to all sorts of interesting stuff...

On 10/9/2017 at 7:52 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I have a fishing guide friend who goes "Live" on Facebook pretty much every morning as he's blasting across the harbor. Allows me to look and see how much wind and chop there really is and decide whether it's a sailboat day or a powerboat day.

Your harbour doesn't have a live webcam?  Hell it isn't that hard or expensive to run, my club runs three, hell even the volunteer Coastie auxillary station runs one.

Cost to run only becomes an issue because of vandalism.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:45 PM, jack_sparrow said:

The interesting thing about UTube is once it has logged your views it then starts stalking you big time with viewing suggestions.

This one was pretty weird when the boys got hold of a section of floating dock and anchored it over the reef in Bali.

PS. Anyone know how I can stop it sending me vids of Ukrainian Mail Order Brides?

  That has to be the most brilliant solution to make a "meh" swell entertaining.

  It all went to shit as soon as a real break started...but hey, they were nagverting for the dock company and I'm sure they'll use the hours of footage to more than pay for a few Euro trash surfers a trip.

 

  I'm not a surfing guy, but I became mesmerized by that big wave doc.  That one is my 2nd fav surfing vid. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:36 AM, jack_sparrow said:

The Deltones new season starts (bearing in mind this is April in real time) and with a passage plan and a crew list that would seem to indicate they are keen to knock the Vagamite Coastal Canasters off their #1 Tuber perch. Grab the popcorn and let's see.

 

 

On 10/13/2017 at 8:52 AM, SCANAS said:

Yeah WOW mate. Didn't know that. Got that new look. Really unhappy with myself. Look - plenty of ex's in that category. Mind you she's lasted miles longer on a boat than my ex's so power to her. Branched off from her man 24/7?

  Actually rumour has it he dumped her, drug use.

 

On 10/14/2017 at 3:29 AM, dylan winter said:

Thanks Z

that clears that up.

I must say I admire the Delos man's willingness to get involved in paperwork.  There are lots of bits of film with them signing into and out of countries, getting jabs etc.  With any luck I will have finished with scotland by the time they are independent.

Since I stopped racing I have only ever been asked for paperwork just the once - that was a glance at my third party insurance for the boat as I went through the sea lock half way up the River Nene.

The lock keeper apologised for asking for it.

Maybe if I had shaved that  morning and he would not have asked for it

 

D

 

 

 

Says the man from England.  The land that invented paperwork.

Next time you're trolling kids bouncing between islands, notice their mood changes between landing on a French island and landing on a former English island.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

  I'm not a surfing guy, but I became mesmerized by that big wave doc.  That one is my 2nd fav surfing vid. 

The king of fruit cakes at the pointy end of big wave surfing...totally fearless and at a French, not English island. Imagine what he would be like in a Open60 in the Sth Ocean.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Delomites being #1 in the money stakes (as opposed to Tuber stats) is not by accident. They work hard on increasing the numbers when ever they can and have a infectious package to back that up with after getting new bites.

After watching a couple episodes some time back, I'd describe it as a repellent package myself.

About the only thing worse I can think of than being stuck on a long passage with that lot is being stuck on a cruise ship.

Well maybe not - there's more places to get away from people on a cruise ship. Even going sailing with LB on Moreton Bay would be preferable, as long as it was only a day-sail and I got to choose the beer.

FKT - curmudgeon and happy with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you miss the point Fucknuckle. It is entertainment come infommercial in the eyes of most potential followers, and not what I or maybe anyone would like to have as a personel experience. Or do you watch say a documentary on climbing Mt Everest in the nude and then judge it by wether you would like to be there or not?

BTW If I was onboard the Swedish chick's voice would be enough to cause her to be bait after the first 5 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think you miss the point Fucknuckle. It is entertainment come infommercial in the eyes of most potential followers, and not what I or maybe anyone would like to have as a personel experience. Or do you watch say a documentary on climbing Mt Everest in the nude and then judge it by wether you would like to be there or not?

BTW If I was onboard the Swedish chick's voice would be enough to cause her to be bait after the first 5 minutes.

Nope, didn't miss the point at all.

Many millions of people watch American comedy programs and find them entertaining, too. Never understood why either.

Agree about the chick - I did a quick check, yep, she'd have to go.

FWIW - not a lot - I do like RAN Sailing and the Adventure Adrift couple. Plus a couple others. Delos is successful, La Vag is successful, I can't be bothered watching either. I really don't give a damn if that puts me in a minority of one, even.

Probably look LB up next time I'm in BrisVegas and take a slab along regardless of the sailing.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Or do you watch say a documentary on climbing Mt Everest in the nude and then judge it by wether you would like to be there or not?

Is that the Nepalese word for 'If it is going to snow? That is one all in the spelling Nazi competition now Jack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

 

Probably look LB up next time I'm in BrisVegas and take a slab along regardless of the sailing.

FKT

Do that mate but we can go out on the Pogo for a yacht and drink Shaggie's beer. It can be a bit of a lottery  reaching into that cold box though.

True story. When we were in Tassie I mentioned to the child bride that I wouldn't mind catching up with a guy I speak to on SA. (As usual she rolls her eyes at the very mention of SA - she thinks it is just a waste of time where grown men swear, call each other names and talk about bullshit. Despite doing a Ph.D she can still be a little clueless at times :) ) With her voice dripping with sarcasm she said 'Oh yes, and what would his name be?, let me guess - something with the word cunt in it?' When i said 'Fuck you to' she shook her pretty little head and said 'Who would have thought?' 

OK if I just call you Kiew? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually 2 to 1 against me....let you find but you are now a "mean" instead of a "man", though I could invoke the accent rule

Sweet as bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, savoir said:

Waddayamean ?

Sailing Moreton Bay with LB would be fun and educational too. He could show you all the interesting places. Word has it he knows both of them.

:)

Well played sir. But LB's shack isn't navigatable by water, so you can drop one off the list.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Do that mate but we can go out on the Pogo for a yacht and drink Shaggie's beer. It can be a bit of a lottery  reaching into that cold box though.

I've got into the habit of sprinkling VB's on the top, and my bar tab had dropped astronomically. That is until the Matrix boys got back from Hammo.

The carton of Guinness remarkably remains untouched though , I'm thinking of registering it as a vintage year brew soon.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I've got into the habit of sprinkling VB's on the top, and my bar tab had dropped astronomically. That is until the Matrix boys got back from Hammo.

The carton of Guinness remarkably remains untouched though , I'm thinking of registering it as a vintage year brew soon.

 

Did we drink all of those over sized cans of that Japanese cats piss on the Keppel race? As I recall Scanas was bugleing one just as we plowed into that Sunfish doing 20 kts.

 

 

 

 

 

I didn't realize they could swim that quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, savoir said:

Waddayamean ?

Sailing Moreton Bay with LB would be fun and educational too. He could show you all the interesting places. Word has it he knows both of them.

As I tell all southerners It is just a shallow, muddy, mosquito ridden shit hole. Best to sail outside Moreton and head stright to Yepoon.

Nothing to hit up their except the other crews. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love a good bromance

 

now there is a thing....

 

we need a new genre and I think that the LGBT community are seriously under-represented in the hot water sailing video industry.

 

You lads should go for it.  Buy a $50,000 40 footer, head for a warm place and emote at dolphins wearing not many clothes. You could even feed swimming pigs.

 

Dylan

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

we need a new genre and I think that the LGBT community are seriously under-represented in the hot water sailing video industry.

I agree wholeheartedly Dylan. I would be quite happy to take this ...mmm thing.. aboard my boat ...well for bait anyway...and probably throwing a line in before casting off.

 

af2e49893d27206bdca1cd75.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I love a good bromance

 

now there is a thing....

 

we need a new genre and I think that the LGBT community are seriously under-represented in the hot water sailing video industry.

 

You lads should go for it.  Buy a $50,000 40 footer, head for a warm place and emote at dolphins wearing not many clothes. You could even feed swimming pigs.

 

Dylan

Mmmm, swimming pigs - fantastic - you could catch your own brekkie/lunch/dinner/snack/etc/

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Do that mate but we can go out on the Pogo for a yacht and drink Shaggie's beer. It can be a bit of a lottery  reaching into that cold box though.

True story. When we were in Tassie I mentioned to the child bride that I wouldn't mind catching up with a guy I speak to on SA. (As usual she rolls her eyes at the very mention of SA - she thinks it is just a waste of time where grown men swear, call each other names and talk about bullshit. Despite doing a Ph.D she can still be a little clueless at times :) ) With her voice dripping with sarcasm she said 'Oh yes, and what would his name be?, let me guess - something with the word cunt in it?' When i said 'Fuck you to' she shook her pretty little head and said 'Who would have thought?' 

OK if I just call you Kiew? 

Funny thing is, my nom is actually a literary allusion. Bonus points for the title & author of the book. It was tempting to try to register it as my boat name with AMSA until I thought of the ramifications of getting on the radio and calling up the ports authority. Visions of men in black with guns, sniffer dogs and oversized anal inspection probes convinced me it was a bad idea. I think the dinghy will be Fah Kit though.

OBTW can you please keep praising Moreton Bay and slagging off Tasmania?

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Funny thing is, my nom is actually a literary allusion. Bonus points for the title & author of the book. It was tempting to try to register it as my boat name with AMSA until I thought of the ramifications of getting on the radio and calling up the ports authority. Visions of men in black with guns, sniffer dogs and oversized anal inspection probes convinced me it was a bad idea. I think the dinghy will be Fah Kit though.

OBTW can you please keep praising Moreton Bay and slagging off Tasmania?

FKT

No way mate - if we keep slagging off both they won't turn left or right and will just stay in their shity little harbour dodging ferrys and telling themselves how it is the greatest sailing location on the planet. Or we can sing the praises of Port Philip bay...

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

No way mate - if we keep slagging off both they won't turn left or right and will just stay in their shity little harbour dodging ferrys and telling themselves how it is the greatest sailing location on the planet. Or we can sing the praises of Port Philip bay...

You say that like it would be a bad thing. I grew up in Sydney, usually spend a couple months there in winter nowadays. It was a wonderful place in the 70's with less than half its current population. I think they deserve to keep the place myself now it's overcrowded.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything Port Philip Bay has to recommend it.

OK it has water.

There are attractive women in spandex jogging along the waterfront but that's hardly unique - at least Brisbane has some great riverside bars where you can watch the joggers going by. Funnily enough BJ tied up to the pilings off of the Bot Gardens just upstream from there.....

The ferry to Tasmania leaves from Port Philip Bay.

Nobody will ever make a YouTube video series on the joys of cruising on Port Philip Bay. Even daysailing is pushing it.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You say that like it would be a bad thing. I grew up in Sydney, usually spend a couple months there in winter nowadays. It was a wonderful place in the 70's with less than half its current population. I think they deserve to keep the place myself now it's overcrowded.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything Port Philip Bay has to recommend it.

OK it has water.

There are attractive women in spandex jogging along the waterfront but that's hardly unique - at least Brisbane has some great riverside bars where you can watch the joggers going by. Funnily enough BJ tied up to the pilings off of the Bot Gardens just upstream from there.....

The ferry to Tasmania leaves from Port Philip Bay.

Nobody will ever make a YouTube video series on the joys of cruising on Port Philip Bay. Even daysailing is pushing it.

FKT

I was joking. Work takes me to Sydney about once a month but that is just normally Airport - marina - sailing - marina- airport so I get to see the best of it (which isn't all that great once you have seen it a few times)   and only have to deal with the traffic and crowds briefly. Melbourne on the other hand (yep I go there a bit for work as well) is a great city to get around and has a interesting vibe, but the close to town sailing is horrible. Having said that, the bottom of the bay, and the peninsula itself are fantastic. The sailing around there can be great provided there is no N in the breeze and in summer when it ain't to cold it can be sensational. Adelaide was closed last time I was there and the sailing sucked and Perth is just a shallow river full of ex-pat poms dressed in white taking themselves very seriously on their 4kt shitboxes. Freo is ok but and nice as it is, you can only sail to Rottnest so many times. No swimming there for me as that is were your Tassie great whites go to eat out. As for Brisvegas, the city is somewhere we Manly dwellers rarely or ever go (except by boat) It bears no resemblance to the city that i knew back when I wore a suit to work and hung around the pub scene. But our Moreton bay is the best kept secret in the sailing world and we want to keep it that way.

As a place to conduct sailing training it is recognized in the RYA world as almost without equal. My School isn't the biggest in the country (and the 14th biggest on earth, not that I am keeping score ;) ) simply due to my peerless brilliance, Adonis like good looks, quiet humility and of course, Charm.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

 my nom is actually a literary allusion. Bonus points for the title & author of the book.

I did a search and now I am friends with several Chinese dudes on facebook and a member of a Hong Kong strip club.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I was joking. Work takes me to Sydney about once a month but that is just normally Airport - marina - sailing - marina- airport so I get to see the best of it (which isn't all that great once you have seen it a few times)   and only have to deal with the traffic and crowds briefly. Melbourne on the other hand (yep I go there a bit for work as well) is a great city to get around and has a interesting vibe, but the close to town sailing is horrible. Having said that, the bottom of the bay, and the peninsula itself are fantastic. The sailing around there can be great provided there is no N in the breeze and in summer when it ain't to cold it can be sensational. Adelaide was closed last time I was there and the sailing sucked and Perth is just a shallow river full of ex-pat poms dressed in white taking themselves very seriously on their 4kt shitboxes. Freo is ok but and nice as it is, you can only sail to Rottnest so many times. No swimming there for me as that is were your Tassie great whites go to eat out. As for Brisvegas, the city is somewhere we Manly dwellers rarely or ever go (except by boat) It bears no resemblance to the city that i knew back when I wore a suit to work and hung around the pub scene. But our Moreton bay is the best kept secret in the sailing world and we want to keep it that way.

As a place to conduct sailing training it is recognized in the RYA world as almost without equal. My School isn't the biggest in the country (and the 14th biggest on earth, not that I am keeping score ;) ) simply due to my peerless brilliance, Adonis like good looks, quiet humility and of course, Charm.

Sydney airport is starting to remind me of flying through LAX, complete with men in black with too many guns. Better avoided. I've got a house 5 minutes walk from the river & 15 minutes to the ferry service so getting about isn't too bad.

Agree Melbourne is a more liveable city than Sydney these days. If you're near the bay. In the burbs - dunno, never go there. Probably the same as any other suburban existence - better avoided.

Funny Adelaide was closed when I was there last, too. It also has terrible water and beer tho the Cooper's is drinkable. Adelaide has gotten so bad that an engineer friend is looking at moving to Burnie for a job. Burnie! God help him if Burnie is an improvement over Adelaide.

We used to do crew changes in Freo. Nice place for a drink and a couple days but after that - ??? I prefer the Albany to Esperance area. Lots of interesting islands, clear water and white sand. Pity about the sharks.

There are only 2 capital cities in Australia with interesting ports & sailing at the doorstep and Sydney is beyond full. Thank God Bass Strait keeps them away from here. Here's to another rough & stormy Sydney to Hobart.....

BTW friends of mine are heading to Brisbane in 3-4 weeks from New Caledonia after over a year in NZ. 12m carvel planked 2.1m draft cutter rig they built themselves at Port Huon. Any advice WRT a decent marina to hang at for a few days?

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sydney airport is starting to remind me of flying through LAX, complete with men in black with too many guns. Better avoided. I've got a house 5 minutes walk from the river & 15 minutes to the ferry service so getting about isn't too bad.

Agree Melbourne is a more liveable city than Sydney these days. If you're near the bay. In the burbs - dunno, never go there. Probably the same as any other suburban existence - better avoided.

Funny Adelaide was closed when I was there last, too. It also has terrible water and beer tho the Cooper's is drinkable. Adelaide has gotten so bad that an engineer friend is looking at moving to Burnie for a job. Burnie! God help him if Burnie is an improvement over Adelaide.

We used to do crew changes in Freo. Nice place for a drink and a couple days but after that - ??? I prefer the Albany to Esperance area. Lots of interesting islands, clear water and white sand. Pity about the sharks.

There are only 2 capital cities in Australia with interesting ports & sailing at the doorstep and Sydney is beyond full. Thank God Bass Strait keeps them away from here. Here's to another rough & stormy Sydney to Hobart.....

BTW friends of mine are heading to Brisbane in 3-4 weeks from New Caledonia after over a year in NZ. 12m carvel planked 2.1m draft cutter rig they built themselves at Port Huon. Any advice WRT a decent marina to hang at for a few days?

FKT

Any of the Marinas in Manly are close to shops ect. We are at East Coast but it is full of smelly single blokes living on their Roberts 25's and making up tider accounts claiming they are a yacht owner. RQYS has great facilities with the added bonus that they won't bump into Randumb because he hates the place. Two many liberal voters for his taste. If they like the quiet life then QCYC at Sandgate is great. Nice safe creek and very friendly people and if they do want some action, there is a garage a short stroll away where they can watch people changing tyres. There is also the pile mooring in town where BJ is, but why people drop out, buy a boat then moor it in the heart of a major city is beyond me. Will PM my email if they want anymore info.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Delos are cranking in >USD$13k per episode via the Patreon can and sometimes churning out one every 2 weeks when close to WiFi land.

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

Then there is income from merchandise and UTuber income above that which I don't think is a lot and the former included in Patreon expenses in the form of donation enducements.

That sounds like a lot until you start factoring in big capital replacement items that for many cruisers kills their plans for a while or alternatively decide it is something they can do without for a while.

With that in mind an often forgotten income stream is product placement. Therefore my guess is they didn't fork out too much for this USD$12K, Onan 8Kva generator. 

It certainly pays well being at the top of the money tree. But as Dylan and others point out not many get within cooee of this, so it is more a bush than tree.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuckin hilarious..the man who invented "grifting" lives. Hope he never includes a video camera on his begging list.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/18/558479798/man-found-after-137-days-adrift-in-sailboat-and-its-not-his-first-rescue

Looks as though he now has disciples lining up to kill themselves.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/08/11/211072485/family-rescued-in-pacific-after-sailing-where-god-led-us

Maybe they are all trying to get away from Trumpy?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuckin hilarious..the man who invented "grifting" lives. Hope he never includes a video camera on his begging list.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/18/558479798/man-found-after-137-days-adrift-in-sailboat-and-its-not-his-first-rescue

Looks as though he now has disciples lining up to kill themselves.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/08/11/211072485/family-rescued-in-pacific-after-sailing-where-god-led-us

Maybe they are all trying to get away from Trumpy?

Sadly, I played the dockside interview vid and I believe there was some nonsense thrown out about a live webcam (or still cam?) on board for the next drift "to Japan."

The thought did occur to me that Rimas might be working for Trump, executing an extremely slow-motion stealth "insertion" into North Korea.  At least that's what the Koreans will assume if he drifts that way...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy very much this thread even if I don't watch the vlogs. Too much bandwith needed, and they are very boring! But I like the social commentary that goes around it. I don't know if the vloggers start their endeavor to pay for the ride or because they would do it anyway. Almost anybody flood the internet with unsolicited videos anyway. The attention racket teaches them how to become viral (stupidity this great human capacity helps) and the algorithm feeds itself, again and again.

I have a little bit of cruising experience under my belt and I noticed that there are more popular ways to fund one own's cruising budget than trying to make videos, so I believe this phenomenon has much more to do with vanity rather than being a viable way of making money (beside from the stars of course).

During my life afloat I observed and practiced other ways of financing cruising, waus that are more popular and of proven efficacy. Three is really space for everybody out there! I needed to add two new categories to the classic ones because times are changing, and, believe it or not, we are evolving.

Harbor rats

A group of very dedicated and skilled cruisers, with budget limitations that enhance creative thinking, like raising your hull above the waterline using truck tubes and perform other crazy low cost, low-tech solutions. Their boats are put together with a collection of mad max type dumpster dived items. The hoarding beahvior is what made me delete the "minimalist" from the name. Only harbor rat. They soon get skilled enough to perform sketchy boat work for clueless and/or broken sailors that pay in boat parts, favors like car rides, boat sitting or food/shelter. Countries with expensive cruising fees are skipped or deceived by forging clearance papers. Their budget is very low so it does not attract the vlogger type, which is usually high maintenance.

Comfy retired or semi retired folks

Easy spotted by their complex and heavy as hell stern arches and bimini structures that costed not only money but human lives in the fabrication. Another good indicator is the size of their battery banks. If it exceeds 700ah you have 78% chance of being in this category. They usually live off their savings and or investments with different degrees of luxury depending on the case, but generally speaking on the lower end which translates in a very good ability to keep track of expenses. They try to save money nitpicking on contractors' work and equipment, on food vendors and taxis and they may never leave the comfort of the harbor without a spare alternator but they don't buy an available one because it's more expensive than "back home". They say they will pick up one when they fly back next time, which is entirely dependent on the house or financial market returns. Due to all the crap on deck and above, their boats sail poorly and with great effort until they settle, usually in a part of the world which is cheap and where it is still possible to communicate with the locals that they need in order to satisfy their needs. Internet, chinese restaurants and booze are the expenses they struggle to keep in check.

3rd world charter businessmen/women

They got a big boat thinking that it will pay itself doing illegal charters and in general having paying guests. They settle in some 3rd world country with loose regulations but with good enough infrastructure for the guests to be able to reach the boat and for them to enjoy their first world vices with a lower price tag. As there are not many places like this around they compete with other hungry likeminded people over customers. This drives the price down and so the returns. Costs keep raising as they have to keep the boat in good shape because otherwise guests are going to give bad reviews on the internet and they cannot afford it, but they are in a place where locals paddle dugout canoes and can only give you fish and coconuts and where shipping is either unknown or crazy slow and expensive. Places where a mechanic has to fly in, for example. Logistic hassles, booking fever and, sometimes terrible guests totally undermine the healthy lifestyle they were longing for, while their boat falls apart.

 

Technomads

The forst byproduct of the internet revolutionl, these are people with a "real job" they can do anywhere, even on a boat. I've met editors, skype english teachers, cruising consultants (I know this should not be a "real job") coders and other tech people, runnomg profitable business from a sailboat. Their focus is to keep the infrastructure going, making sure the machines stay out of salt water or anchoring closer to the cell tower even if the swell there is good for surfing. Marinas and cruising destinations are chosen and rated by the internet signal and other amenities (internet cafes, libraries) and they move the boat to nicer places on weekends or during holidays. Usually before any long passage there is a deadline panic. Finally, after the second day on passage they dream about quitting their job and find a different source of income.

 

Part time cruisers

They are experts in packing/ unpacking the boat for long term storage, and they are a tough cookie for any yard manager. Halout fees and collaterals are the main expense on their books, together with airfare and unnecessary compulsive shopping items, boat parts and souvenirs that fill the extra check-in bags each way. They are usually able to ratch up quite a sum during their work period that they then spend quite instantly in the first weeks of cruising. By the end of the sailing period they look a lot like the Harbor Rat type, sometimes having to borrow money to get back to work.

 

Girls and dudes with patreon accounts

Here is your bunch folks, this is the totally new addition to the list thanks to the omnipresence of the internet that boosts egos and celebrity fever and also to the relentless stalking that platforms operate on us. They say commercial fishermen destroy the oceans, but I think people buying and eating fish are the real culprits. Same with the vlogging. Blaming the hardworking bluecollars of the camera for our inevitable loss of intelligence and taste is a form of hypocrisy. The basic idea here is that a group of "angels" pay upfront for a product that involve a lot of work and investment and that then anybody else can see for free on youtube. So far I haven't met many of those in the real world, just a couple, and not the superstars. Because the videos were not paying off they were also resolving to other forms of hustle to keep the finance in check. The internet makes it a bigger phenomenon than it is in real life and yet, because homo sapiens is mainly here to mimic other homo sapiens, the number of people who try is increasing, as it's wonderfully documented in this thread.

(Thank you guys for keeping an eye out).

Having no real world working skills or financial assets seems to be a good enough reason to try this way, even if the odds of financial solvence are pretty slim. It only seems to pay off to the ones at the very top but with a cost in hours of work and focus on their public image that hinders a little bit the idea of traveling for fun, and to take themselves not too seriously.

Grifters and visionaries

It takes guts to be in this group. We are looking at a very elite of individuals that are willing to sail no matter what. To conquer donors and enablers they need a higher purpose or a big challenge and also to look as as clueless trainwrecks doomed to fail as possible. Stubborness and willingness to go down to the lowest possible points of human dignity seem to help as well. This is only for the very motivated ones, like Rimas and very few others. The good thing is that you don't have to put any money in it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Cuntyhunk said:

3rd world charter businessmen/women

They got a big boat thinking that it will pay itself doing illegal charters and in general having paying guests. They settle in some 3rd world country with loose regulations but with good enough infrastructure for the guests to be able to reach the boat and for them to enjoy their first world vices with a lower price tag. As there are not many places like this around they compete with other hungry likeminded people over customers. This drives the price down and so the returns. Costs keep raising as they have to keep the boat in good shape because otherwise guests are going to give bad reviews on the internet and they cannot afford it, but they are in a place where locals paddle dugout canoes and can only give you fish and coconuts and where shipping is either unknown or crazy slow and expensive. Places where a mechanic has to fly in, for example. Logistic hassles, booking fever and, sometimes terrible guests totally undermine the healthy lifestyle they were longing for, while their boat falls apart.

 

 

Exactly what these Vlogers have decided to do. Find a loosely regulated area to run pirate charters. I guess they think they can fill the cruising kitty. Regs be damned.

http://www.triotravels.ca/rates

https://www.youtube.com/user/3969godkinrd/featured

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cuntyhunk said:

I have a little bit of cruising experience under my belt and I noticed that there are more popular ways to fund one own's cruising budget than trying to make videos, 

A little bit?? well if that is the case you are one very observant chap. That was a good read. Well done.

I can't think of another cruiser category but I'm sure someone like LB can add one or two.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ARumRunner said:

Exactly what these Vlogers have decided to do. Find a loosely regulated area to run pirate charters

ARum a lot of places are all over these pirate operations and simply demand that they employ someone local, and if they ignore that the consequences are somewhat unorthodox and very effective as a deteretant to others.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites