Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

For a while, when making truck films I was earning $150 a day .... then youtube de-adsensed me.

Dylan, 

Thank you for sharing your experience with adsense.

Looks like I'll keep my day job.

Steve

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Panope said:

Dylan, 

Thank you for sharing your experience with adsense.

Looks like I'll keep my day job.

Steve

It is a common story.... there are broadly similar stories all over the web

There is no redemption in the land of the google algorithm .

15 hours ago, dylan winter said:

the alogjobbies are probably a bit more subtle than that. The box I ticked (and you did too probably) lead me to a 20,000 word contract and around 100,000 words of adendums.

Keep licking  on the tits lads... it is good for google.

The_Walton_Backwaters_Keep_Turning_Left_

holy cow.. does that say Eben ??!!??    Thats my buoy! 

6 hours ago, nebe said:

holy cow.. does that say Eben ??!!??    Thats my buoy! 

I saw it and thought of you.....

that aside.... pretty good tides on the Deben I reckon.

great fun to ride them - although there is no going back until they quit and decide to turn back the other way.

23 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Sav":

Says on the box, "crafted for a richer VEGEMITE Experience with a bolder finish."

I'll tell you what I think after the A/B taste tests.

Taste? I thought you were going to smoke it in that pipe. 

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Sav":

Says on the box, "crafted for a richer VEGEMITE Experience with a bolder finish."

Weird these brand extensions. Like 'new faster acting zantec'. Who buys the old slower acting  pills? 

'I don't mind having this headache for a minuets more if I am saving a few cents.'

Not everything is an improvement. There have been some back to the future marketing break throughs. For instance condoms crafted using the old fashioned middle-eastern method of sheep's intestines, are selling like hot cakes in NZ...and you can also buy them at the butcher there.

I am concerned for this bloke but I reckon he has got "it" to get through this.

Reckon he will.

Keep on keepin' on.

Cheers,

Jim B)

21 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Sav":

Better to finish bold than finish last. 

well spotted.

in summary - patreon used to charge the receiver a percentage -  at one time I think it was as much as 14 per cent on tiny patrons) for playing the Patreon game.

It looks as though Patreon will now be frontloading as well

" Every $1 pledge will cost patrons $1.38 under this new model. Small donors are, in essence, going to pay 38 percent more under this new system. This change incentivizes bigger individual pledges. One $10 pledge will now cost a supporter $10.64 per month, while ten $1 pledges will be $13.80. This change will gut the $1, and perhaps the $5, economy on Patreon."

I think the average donation from la vag and delos supporters is around the $5 per film mark.  So that will impact both the donors and the recipients of their largesse.

The paypal tap sent as a donation incurs a fee only on the recipient.

so a donation of $10 will incur a fee of 55 cents on my end.

I think that the ongoing shake-out in the market for sailing videos is picking up pace. It has shaken out into a two horse race with delos and la vag earning ten times their closest no hoper rivals.

D

S2540002.jpg

On 10/12/2017 at 11:20 PM, dylan winter said:

I think that the ongoing shake-out in the market for sailing videos is picking up pace. It has shaken out into a two horse race with delos and la vag earning ten times their closest no hoper rivals.

Main stream entertainment is like this. A lot of shit and few pearls on the popular front. Then the not so popular pearls followed by enthusiasts and or people with double digit IQ's.

This has nothing to do with sailing in bikinis. 

What do you call this genre of instructional videos? This guy is a master at his craft but he never says a word or shows his face. I really enjoy the anonymity as opposed to the vanity that pervades YouTube.

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

This has nothing to do with sailing in bikinis. 

What do you call this genre of instructional videos? This guy is a master at his craft but he never says a word or shows his face. I really enjoy the anonymity as opposed to the vanity that pervades YouTube.

If you like the 6061 guy, you will love the clickspring guy.

On 10/12/2017 at 1:06 AM, Bob Perry said:

Mystery solved!

Merrrill Levi sent me the VEGEMITE.

Thanks Merrill.

Now that you have it Bob its time to get cracking in the kitchen.

2/3 cup caster sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoon Vegemite

3 teaspoons cornflour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

1 cup thickened cream, whipped

Combine in a saucepan the sugar, cocoa, honey, Vegemite, corn flour and milk.

Whisk over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently until slightly thickened and custard like.

Remove from the heat, pour into a heat proof bowl and chill. Fold the whipped cream through the chilled custard mixture then pour into popsicle moulds. Freeze until firm.

images (20).jpeg

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

2/3 cup caster sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoon Vegemite

3 teaspoons cornflour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

Whisk over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently until slightly thickened and custard like.

Remove from the heat, pour into a heat proof bowl and chill. Fold the whipped cream through the chilled custard mixture then pour into popsicle moulds. Freeze until firm.

images (20).jpeg

That sounds like a really complicated way to throw Vegemite away.

• Like 1

Bob Perry has been a little quiet through the last few days. He was last seen heading off into the wild blue yonder, jar of new and improved Vegemite 17 in hand and searching for the elusive bold finish.

Word has it that a bold finish is the down under version of a happy ending. I sure hope he's OK.

Hey you guys/gals

I have to give a shout-out to a Youtube channel that I just started watching.  Life in a Nutshell.  Its a couple who were on a narrowboat in the UK and have recently moved to onto a sailing yacht in Panama.  And the reason I enjoy this is that Magnus is resourceful and takes on fixing everything he is faced with.  Actually they are both resourceful and take on anything with a smile.   No whining, just go fix it.  

Greece's economy must be shot if a 35' power boat is now a Super Yacht. 

These two didn't own the problem being they had a trillion feet of scope out and didn't marker buoy (marked no mooring) their anchor accordingly to stop someone anchoring over it. Not sure they are ready to go to the Artctic in a Cat.

Another Clickbait title to add to the vault.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

These two didn't own the problem being they had a trillion feet of scope out and didn't marker buoy (marked no mooring) their anchor accordingly to stop someone anchoring over it. Not sure they are ready to go to the Artctic in a Cat.

Another Clickbait title to add to the vault.

I wonder if the Outremar yacht company want them to go to the cold places to prove how tough the cats are.

I also came across this

it is a seabattical

A SEAbbatical is not just a holiday, it’s an adventure and a path to self discovery all at the same time, as it tests your character in pursuit of paradise without safety nets. We have studied how successful business owners and professionals have made the dream of cruising a reality and now we can show you how to fund the right boat, engage your family and safely pursue paradise by sea … BEFORE you retire.

Our SEAbbatical packages will help you Plan a SEAbbatical that suits, Purchase the right boat, Profit from a charter program, Prepare your skills and Prosper when you sell. Watch this interview on Channel 9 with one of our customers.

https://www.multihullcentral.com/seabbaticals/

Dylan

PS - this is the Deben yesterday -

no Meltoni in suffolk this year  - bright, beautiful and hovering around freezing point - a real six layer day

keeptuyrningleft_deben_winter_Still001.j

Superyacht ? 

" Optimistic " is the politest word I can put on all that. I was expecting to see a 100 ft gin palace but no, it was just a common old garden variety flybridge cruiser of 38 ft or so in length.

" There was a crew of eight in these like uniforms " said Brows.  Oh really ?  It looked more like some cerebraly challenged shmuck with his screaming missus and kids.

Apparently Brows has not heard of the boy who cried wolf.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

24 minutes ago, savoir said:

Superyacht ? 

" Optimistic " is the politest word I can put on all that. I was expecting to see a 100 ft gin palace but no, it was just a common old garden variety flybridge cruiser of 38 ft or so in length.

" There was a crew of eight in these like uniforms " said Brows.  Oh really ?  It looked more like some cerebraly challenged shmuck with his screaming missus and kids.

Apparently Brows has not heard of the boy who cried wolf.

Seems like your comprehension might be the bigger issue fellas, might pay to watch it again.  Maybe get someone else to explain it all to you.

54 minutes ago, weatherbeaten said:

Seems like your comprehension might be the bigger issue fellas, might pay to watch it again.  Maybe get someone else to explain it all to you.

Go ahead and explain then as I throw up at the first views of their shit...but do so to remain objective. A second view is not happening unless you indicate exactly why and otherwise.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:33 PM, jack_sparrow said:

2/3 cup caster sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoon Vegemite

3 teaspoons cornflour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

images (20).jpeg

What can’t you do?!!

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What does the gallery think about 10:1 scope in this type of situation? 5 or 6:1 might've sufficed in 40-50 knots with less swing. This is the type of topography that will get two boats to swing in opposite directions (in an offshore blow) and you've gotta look out for those laneways that exist sporadically throughout this type of anchorage. You'll know once your anchored if you're in the lane when you and your neighbour get a little to close. 

I'd be checking on my neighbours or any new neighbours pretty much constantly with a plan to re-boot in short order in this type of wind/anchorage.

Any other thoughts on how to deal with this mess? A line between the two boats to take tension off the chain? Then slip the Outremer anchor and at least the distressed boat is still attached. Also makes me wonder what back-up anchoring gear the Outremer has. Cats can anchor well off the stern on a single hull and this might've been a quick stabilization tactic if you had the right gear before being dragged into deeper water. That is risky too though has your also using reverse throttle to slow down the drag/drift. I dunno.

These thoughts from the comfort of my armchair.

10:1 sounds like a lot of chain to me.  If I was putting that much out, I would be tempted to buoy it so it was clear to everyone else.

If you had a spare anchor, one option might be to attach it to the inboard end of your rode before slipping it to try to anchor the other boat. I don't know how many people carry multiple anchors though.  Iirc Riley didn't think they could tow the other boat and I'm not sure how useful tying the boats together would be unless the plan is to tow them.  I would prefer to hold station close by in case things went sideways quickly.

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Go ahead and explain then as I throw up at the first views of their shit...but do so to remain objective. A second view is not happening unless you indicate exactly why and otherwise.

Pretty simple really:

9 hours ago, DavidC59 said:

The "Super Yacht" does not appear in the video (as they stated).

35ft stink pot snags their pick, both vessels begin to drift towards unseen (in the video) super yacht.  Vagabonde manages to drag both vessels to one side of unseen super yacht as they are blown out of the anchorage.  Filming starts once they are clear of the super yacht.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

10:1 with all chain sounds way overkill to me. If you're going to be bobbing a quarter mile from your anchor a buoy would definitely be a good idea.

Definitely overkill.  I'm not too sure that an anchor buoy would help--- it's far enough from the boat that it might not be readily recognized as being any part of that boat's anchoring gear...

1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Definitely overkill.  I'm not too sure that an anchor buoy would help--- it's far enough from the boat that it might not be readily recognized as being any part of that boat's anchoring gear...

Simple...you employ the COLREGS MPMS (matching pair marker system)  where the on board marker is hoisted aloft. These come in many different shapes and sizes.

images (36).jpeg

images (49).jpeg

images (50).jpeg

8 hours ago, fufkin said:

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What does the gallery think about 10:1 scope in this type of situation

Who uses anchor marking buoys? Somebody will just come along and pick it up! If somebody looks like they are anchoring over your anchor, you yell at them or get in your dinghy and tell them. You have to be proactive.

10:1 scope is excessive unless you are expecting a hurricane. Even 7:1 is really in the realm of diminishing returns.

Carrying 2 or more anchors is totally normal for long distance cruising boats. Not doing so is stupid. Each anchor should be able to hold the boat in a blow.

In that situation? Ease your anchor rode out till close to the bitter end. Tie a big fender with rope lead through the bow roller to the chain. Drop the anchor rode. Motor a bit far away or drift downwind, and re-anchor with spare anchor and rode. Take dinghy over and get your own chain / anchor back once things are bit calmer in the anchorage.

54 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Who uses anchor marking buoys? Somebody will just come along and pick it up! If somebody looks like they are anchoring over your anchor, you yell at them or get in your dinghy and tell them. You have to be proactive.

^^^You mark it with a fuck off message. Crowded anchorage a marker is just something extra for idiots to foul and too much scope you are the anchorage pain in the arse, particularly if boats aren't swinging in sync. Proactive is good, but the idiots like to surprise you when your not on board or asleep.

54 minutes ago, Zonker said:

In that situation? Ease your anchor rode out till close to the bitter end. Tie a big fender with rope lead through the bow roller to the chain. Drop the anchor rode. 

^^^ I have had to do this a few times due to numbskulls. Once when stern to at a dock! My guess this lot didn't buoy and dump the rode because either didn't think of it, or if they did, idiots don't carry a second anchor.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

10:1 scope is excessive unless you are expecting a hurricane. Even 7:1 is really in the realm of diminishing returns.

Carrying 2 or more anchors is totally normal for long distance cruising boats. Not doing so is stupid. Each anchor should be able to hold the boat in a blow.

In that situation? Ease your anchor rode out till close to the bitter end. Tie a big fender with rope lead through the bow roller to the chain. Drop the anchor rode. Motor a bit far away or drift downwind, and re-anchor with spare anchor and rode. Take dinghy over and get your own chain / anchor back once things are bit calmer in the anchorage.

^^^^^ This is the correct procedure. They did not seem to HAVE a 2nd anchor, or at least never thought of using it. I had almost that exact scenario happen to me in Istria. I was running a Baltic 51, no anchor windlass - but did have three good sets of anc gear. I was the last one into an inlet with a deep drop - off to the bottom, and knew the winds were going to circle as the front passed. I set all the hooks at 120 apart. Anchors don't work until you toss them in the water!  Around 2 am a 35' powerboat struggling to anchor trips their windlass breaker. They don't know where it is, just that their anc is now stopped 40 below their bow, they can't maneuver, and they are being blown back & forth across my bow. Their anc hooks my rode & they slide down & end up alongside smashing into the hefty alum toerail of the Baltic. Smashes out two hull portlights in quick order. They are German, have no English. I the opposite.  We get them away from the hull, give them my 3rd anc line, they drop back, cleat off my line & sit happily till morning. I checked over my boat, surprisingly no damage, and dink over to the Germans. A few minutes of inspecting the control station on the main deck, I find the breaker, turn it back on. They had been operating entirely from the flybridge & never knew about it.   It took about 45 minutes apiece to get the two anchors out of the mud with the dink, they were feet below the surface.

watched the La Vaga ep last night. It seems like they could have used a 2nd anchor in that situation and they didnt have one. As an expert in getting chain wrapped around props, it sounds like they couldnt get it unwrapped because the engine was still in gear. Considering they have a full-time cameraman now they really could have done a much better job of filming this situation. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

watched the La Vaga ep last night. It seems like they could have used a 2nd anchor in that situation and they didnt have one. As an expert in getting chain wrapped around props, it sounds like they couldnt get it unwrapped because the engine was still in gear. Considering they have a full-time cameraman now they really could have done a much better job of filming this situation. 

I have not followed closely but I watched the cameraman recruitment process with interest - then they took on a pro but I  don't think he lasted long -maybe a few weeks or so - the style of the films changed a fair bit - but I had heard he has left - not sure if he has been replaced.

....but it looks as though it is reverting to a little the way they were with a lot of pieces to camera.

as an old TV hack it has been fascinating watching these vlogging sailing soaps unfold  - from the playboy centre-fold with a black eye, the sinking of some projects(literally), the unexplained stopping from Cheeky Monkey, the delos crew changes and of course the La Vag plastic busters.

what a panorama  of human talents and emotions is  laid on your screens every night.

and all in the name of a sailing film

Dylan

28 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I have not followed closely but I watched the cameraman recruitment process with interest - then they took on a pro but I  don't think he lasted long -maybe a few weeks or so - the style of the films changed a fair bit - but I had heard he has left - not sure if he has been replaced.

....but it looks as though it is reverting to a little the way they were with a lot of pieces to camera.

as an old TV hack it has been fascinating watching these vlogging sailing soaps unfold  - from the playboy centre-fold with a black eye, the sinking of some projects(literally), the unexplained stopping from Cheeky Monkey, the delos crew changes and of course the La Vag plastic busters.

what a panorama  of human talents and emotions is  laid on your screens every night.

and all in the name of a sailing film

Dylan

They still have that young American guy, right? He's their crew/cameraman though he did not make an appearance on the last episode. He's usually behind the camera though. 

As for Cheeky Monkey I think they weren't getting as many viewers as they were hoping for and their Patreon didnt blow up like some of the others (they only have 59 patrons) so they gave it up. 

I would have assumed that all of these high-dollar exhibitionist boats would be studded with an array of permanently-mounted action-cams by now.  I thought it was a standard feature that you can set them to record a (30-minute?) loop, continuously, and if something interesting happens, you tap a button to save the current loop.  

(Now, what *I* need is a button to tap that erases the last 30 minutes...)

29 minutes ago, JBE said:

Cheeky Monkey was in Fij when we were there . sept , october? They were having fun , very hospitable . I gather there's a relationship breakup so that might explain something.

I assume that they had not reached a critical mass on Patreon to make it worth while and having to make and upload a film a week must really play havoc with the experience.

Dylan

ktl_8_17_Still028.jpg

6 hours ago, Mark Set (BIMBO Local 713) said:

They still have that young American guy, right? He's their crew/cameraman though he did not make an appearance on the last episode. He's usually behind the camera though. 

As for Cheeky Monkey I think they weren't getting as many viewers as they were hoping for and their Patreon didnt blow up like some of the others (they only have 59 patrons) so they gave it up. 

The cameraman left after about 2 months. So far he has not been replaced but you do see quite a few guests drawn from the subscriber list.

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

That's quite a lineup, I think they should be flattered. To be in it.  They are credited with 35,000 miles? I thought the did Europe to Caribbean and then Pacific to oz? How does that at up to 35k miles?

15 minutes ago, chester said:

That's quite a lineup, I think they should be flattered. To be in it.  They are credited with 35,000 miles? I thought the did Europe to Caribbean and then Pacific to oz? How does that at up to 35k miles?

Australian miles.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:39 AM, dylan winter said:

water under the bridge......

the only ways of making money as an independent producer of youtube  films is to place products, try patreon(0.4 per cent response rate) or wave the buskers cup.

They seem to have pissed off enough people to generate momentum for the creation of an open source alternative : https://framatube.org/#en

11 hours ago, chester said:

How does that at up to 35k miles?

It doesn't..and her new cans don't even have 100 sweaty hours on the clock. I actually have a theory Tash might be a cross dresser and that is where their aiming their market at. Listen to the sound tracks their using ..something is not quite right...bordering on Barry Manilow meets George Michael. Can't put my finger on it. 

There has also been vids of hair remnants on her pillow..they don't match his and her eye brows aren't malting last time I looked. We need to be more vigalent people.