Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

39 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That place is so foreign to the manicured shores that Dylan sails that he simply has no basis for comparison. A handful of people taking fish for their own food makes no difference whatsoever. It's the commercial fisheries that fuck it totally.

FKT

our shoreline has been pretty well occupied for some time now that is true

what has changed is that, with the arrival of diesel engines in boats, the fishermen netted everything that swam and then decided to scrape trawls across every bit of flat bottom within 200 miles of the shore.

So it is different from bits of Australia.

I small request though -

Please don't dismiss my comments on my presumed ignorance

- your assumption being that during 30  years as a working environmental hack I never left the island I live on and am therefore  a know nothing Brit.

I  think that if you go to visit an environmental gem of a place then it would be better all round if you brought your food with you rather than slaughtering a few of the fairly long lived natives and leaving the place unnecessarily impacted by your presence.

I am with the sierra club

"leave only footprints - take only pictures"

which seems a reasonable way of going about things

Dylan

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Posted Images

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't worry Dylan I'm pretty sure they won't be messing with the top predator in this locale...unless they get a bigger boat.

images (100).jpeg

it's Australia, they only need a bigger knife.

source: have watched Crocodile Dundee

and Crocodile Dundee 2

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I  think that if you go to visit an environmental gem of a place then it would be better all round if you brought your food with you rather than slaughtering a few of the fairly long lived natives and leaving the place unnecessarily impacted by your presence.

Dylan don't forget there has been a crowd already camped there for  around 60,000 years doing exactly that. I can think of far greater impacts than a few boating souls living off the land exactly as they did.

Ironically the biggest threat to the area they (and others in similiar locales) pose is making UTube vids of where they are. I will leave that rant for another day.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dylan don't forget there has been a crowd already camped there for  around 60,000 years doing exactly that. I can think of far greater impacts than a few boating souls living off the land exactly as they did.

Ironically the biggest threat to the area they (and others in similiar locales) pose is making UTube vids of where they are. I will leave that rant for another day.

profound... and true. 

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Let's not start down *that* path, Jack, or we'll get to discussing the rights of the natives to  take dugong as a traditional food source.

Using tinnies, outboards and rifles.

Dylan, you might have poked about places for 30+ years and seen a lot but I was a professional fisheries biologist/population ecologist, even got the published bits of paper to prove it. I got paid to poke about the places. A handful of people taking fish for subsistence is noise level in that country.

Now commercial fisheries, don't get me started - I don't think there's ever been a fishery, anywhere, ever, that the commercial fishers haven't over-exploited & ruined, followed by screams for protection, a closed fishery, licensing, selling the licenses to newcomers who have to fish even harder to service their debt in addition to running costs & profit, further declines in the fishery etc etc.

And that's the NEARSHORE ones. Pelagic fisheries are even worse. It's one of the reasons I got out of that part of scientific work. Tragedy of the commons writ large and over & over again. It's depressing.

After the declaration of our 20 NM EEZ back in the late 70's or early 80's (memory is vague) we licensed the foreign trawlers & gillnetters fishing in out EEZ and started recording their catches - I was a very junior part of that which meant I got a lot of field work. In the end they got pushed out - especially the trawlers, too much environmental damage. That's a story for a bar though, not here.

As for the Kimberlies area or northern Australia in general, estuarine/nearshore I'd bet on the increase in the crocodile population taking far more fish than the relative handful of humans do subsistence fishing. There are a lot more crocs than when I was last there and the top predator croc is a lot bigger & less afraid of humans. Back in the 1970's and 80's they were generally afraid of people and for good reason - they were the survivors. Their less afraid compatriots were shoes & handbags.

Jack is dead right, too - more people, more pressure especially on reef fish and therefore reduced stocks. NFI what we can do about that but it's something to keep in mind for sure.

Out of time now I'm afraid.

FKT

10 hours ago, Simon75 said:

it's Australia, they only need a bigger knife.

source: have watched Crocodile Dundee

and Crocodile Dundee 2

not Crocodile Dundee 3??

It's the one people always forget about.......mainly as it was a bit shit.....

On 3/13/2018 at 5:34 AM, overlay said:

I Agree FKT. Fishing for food is fine. I think we are in a minority though on the catch and release angle though ,judging by the plethora of fishing shows on TV.

Its not acceptable to to cast a 12/0 hook baited with an apple into a paddock full of horses,  WhyTF is it acceptable to torment fish on  a length of monofilament.

Only a couple months of the Cyclone season left, and our Kimberley cruise season comes around again.:)

CeRY4wDWsAA2MfU.jpg

Marching for the gay whales isn't good enough anymore, now we need to weep for the walleye?

The Free Range couple haven't taken anything that could be considered "sensitive", I think the longest lived critter they've bagged was a big lobster, but they let him go.  The rest of the fish they are taking are relatively short lived prodigious reproducing ones like King Mackeral, Mangrove Snapper & Mahi.

Actually the real enlightening for me is how many similar species there are in Oz Land and Florida.  I never really noticed before but even a Barra looks alot like a chunkier Florida Snook.

barramundi_17.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

according to this

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/snook/sketch-common-snook/

the snook of which you speak live for up to 21 years

two decades is quite a long time - longer than the average human marriage - 

Dunno about Barra or Mackeral or Snappers

how long lived they are is not really the point though

The Robins in my garden live up to five years - do they deserve any less respect than the Florida Snook

D

The best trick I had back when our kids were just old enough to hold a rod, was the squeeze the barbs closed,...every goddamn one of them!  With cheap hooks, the barbs just break off, which is even better. 

There's not much 'catch and release' with small fish, and sharp small barbs. You get a bloody mess and a crying kid out of it. They rarely lose a fish for the lack of a barb, and you can slide them right off by turning the hook a bit.

Best of all, if you spend a lot of time with little kids fishing, somebody is going to get hooked! And guess what, it's likely to be the Dad. I can attest, it's great knowing the hook will come right out. A small hook with a barb in somebody's ear, and you're headed to the emergency room. 

My son showing a friend how to close a barb. My daughter was the only one to catch 6 mackarel on a 5 hook jig!  Made me think of it when Dylan's friend hooked a handful of them. 

40768846732_7c22ff7388_b.jpg

lovely snaps there KK

we have some film of my son (then 8 years old) being taught to fish in wyoming by a good friend of mine

Although I am not a fan of the passtimeI have to admit that fishing brings a lot of happiness to humans

after Jon had caught his five fish on one line he was immensely happy

I regard fishing much as Mark Twain regarded Golf when he declared golf to be a "good walk ruined".

For me it just gets in the way of the sailing.

Jon was nice enough to cook his mackeral out in the cockpit - one of the major advantages of an origo is its portability

Both curry and bacon get the same outdoor treatment when being cooked aboard.

D

• Like 1

I think Dylan should take some of his hours of footage and put together a 'Slow TV' video. You don't really watch 'Slow TV' it's more like background music with pictures. Television to read by if you will.  This video is sadly only 18 minutes long and but it's a great start on the genre

The original "Slow TV' video was a bit over 7 hours long and when broadcast was viewed by 1/5 of the population of Norway

Wow, that's impressive (and not in a good way...). I only skipped through it briefly but if the forestay breaks, how about turn downwind, attach the jib halyard to the tack and put some tension on it and THEN drop the main (turning up into the wind first if needed), and motor home with the mast still standing?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Airwick said:

Wow, that's impressive (and not in a good way...). I only skipped through it briefly but if the forestay breaks, how about turn downwind, attach the jib halyard to the tack and put some tension on it and THEN drop the main (turning up into the wind first if needed), and motor home with the mast still standing?

Seems he did do that, then "other stays or something were breaking".  The part I don't get is why try to jump from boat to boat?  Is there literally no other solution with all the dinghies getting dragged around?  The boat was making so little way after that the dinghy was on a slack line at one point?  Surely even motoring up ahead with the dinghy in tow would have been better?  I've done that before for a boat where the engine died, and it was relatively simple, and less likely to end in a good squashing.   The girl seemed to have a lot more practical sense.  It was at least interesting to watch, which was nice. 

Having only one offshore leg to my name, I probably shouldn't opine but...

PJ's and sandals? No gloves? Handling jagged, aluminum spar wreckage? Just asking for a bad injury.  I would have jumped into appropriate clothing and grabbed a hacksaw the moment I saw trouble. The woman was handling the wheel well enough that he could have done this but I guess he was more worried about filming it all. Once they got underway, he filmed his buddy passing out, but couldn't be bothered to put him in the first aid recovery position? Was he just ignorant or did he just leave him that way for additional drama?

What a shit sandwich to be in- Bad weather on the way with a deadline to be in a safe place, and then observing this rigging and medical casualty.  I might have been inclined to take the old fellow and his dog onboard, and leave his boat rather than put myself, my mate and my boat at risk to save his boat.

There was some talk of a reef to anchor behind for shelter, so maybe the risk wasn't as great as I'm thinking.

I was wondering just how far offshore they are. 

This does seem to be a developing twist genre = the disaster film.

the soap sailing films went from journey in hot place wearing a bikini  to "we met these other vloggers who are also sailing - maybe we can combine viewrs" and now to "oops what a disaster"

we have had sinkings, groundings, dismastings, bashes on heads,  toes mashes in hatch lid..... the first mortality captured on film can only be weeks away.

20 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I was wondering just how far offshore they are. 

This does seem to be a developing twist genre = the disaster film.

the soap sailing films went from journey in hot place wearing a bikini  to "we met these other vloggers who are also sailing - maybe we can combine viewrs" and now to "oops what a disaster"

we have had sinkings, groundings, dismastings, bashes on heads,  toes mashes in hatch lid..... the first mortality captured on film can only be weeks away.

I can't watch crap like that. The idea of dealing with people like that, being around people like that, or even guilt by association, makes me never want to cruise. 

Gah!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

One more candidate for the "distaster thumbnail" genre

oops we nearly died

Wow. Thanks Dylan. I’m scared now. I thought this was an act on what not to do, till I realised...it wasn’t an act!

Just quietly, LV has been a little dull lately. The lack of a camera man is starting to show in the sameness of it all. They have mostly been showing their latest guests Flossy McFloozie and Clyde Stuffknuckle having fun in the sun or doing yoga on the trampoline but that gets a pretty boring after a while . . . . unless you're Flossie's mom.

They are currently in the Canaries with no guests and a dead motor.

1 hour ago, savoir said:

Just quietly, LV has been a little dull lately. The lack of a camera man is starting to show in the sameness of it all. They have mostly been showing their latest guests Flossy McFloozie and Clyde Stuffknuckle having fun in the sun or doing yoga on the trampoline but that gets a pretty boring after a while . . . . unless you're Flossie's mom.

They killed a motor already?

What a surprise.

Who would have expected a couple of massively inept people to do that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, savoir said:

However,

the formula is still working

250,000 views per film

1800 patreons and an income of over $10,000 a week

Their carefully edited youtube comments are full of love from happy punters.  The interesting this is that their films go on youtube via  a private link to the patreon payers before they go public

the patronistas can then post comments  before the films go truly public. There are 1800 people who love their work enough to chip in and many leave adoring comments. The rolling soap has always been an attractive format. Some of these people will have sailed with LaVag for 60 or 70 virtual hours.

It is the patreonistas who call the shots - what (us) patreon averse grumpy old blokes  on forums think matters not a jot. 

The cat maker and diesel maker and sailmaker  will get their names on films that arrive on 248,200 desks each week - or a million sailors or would be sailors desks each month.  Not many yachting mags can offer than many sailors eyes.

As we know if you are not paying then you are the product.

the latest schtick of bringing others on board is interesting too

I do wonder if being jolly host and hostess to those who pay for the patreon lottery might not wear a bit thin week in and week out.

It must be a bit like running a hosted chartering operation.

Dylan

It's a great deal for the guests who get an almost free holiday. No doubt that was the idea of Outremer who are hoping that a few potential buyers might identify with the guests and think " That could be me having fun out there ". Anyway, even if I find it all a bit dull and repetitive there are plenty who don't.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

They killed a motor already?

What a surprise.

Who would have expected a couple of massively inept people to do that?

Riley says that the fuel system is sucking air. Maybe he's right ? He added that this was their 5th time with a dead motor which is not a good look for a Volvo that is not even 1 year old. The last vid has them in the canaries waiting for a mechanic.

6 hours ago, savoir said:

Wherever they went at least we know that the place has wifi.

that is one of the burdens - never stray from the wifi. That frames the journey in some measure.  However, their bandwidth costs must be horrible. Howeverr,. if you are going to play the Patreon game you have to feed the monster every week - otherwise it dies. I wish that I could match their productivity but I come from an age where it took a long time and a lot of thought to make a TV show.

It is wonderful that they have been a wonderful success

Dylan

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

that is one of the burdens - never stray from the wifi. That frames the journey in some measure.  However, their bandwidth costs must be horrible. Howeverr,. if you are going to play the Patreon game you have to feed the monster every week - otherwise it dies. I wish that I could match their productivity but I come from an age where it took a long time and a lot of thought to make a TV show.

It is wonderful that they have been a wonderful success

Dylan

Yeah, quality is a bitch isn't it? :)

There was a peripherally-related story this morning in the NYT about the Sagan-Wannabe science channel genre.  They note that successful videos are "Information-light and punchline-heavy." Drama sells, content does not.  Another big race to the bottom.  

Somehow it reminds me of a self-help book that was a best seller a few years ago.  (Can't find it now, water under the bridge...) The author spent a few thousand bucks on Google Adwords to test exactly what topics and phrases would draw clicks.  Scrambled up some verbiage for each of the best click-bait phrases, and hey, presto! Best-selling book! Made a few hundred thousand bucks from the investment, IIRC.   

Seems like a bit of AI and some very simple algorithms could churn out the very best people-pleasing pablum.  If the computers can't yet actually make the videos (not quite yet, anyway) they could at least handle the storyboarding.  

4 hours ago, toddster said:

There was a peripherally-related story this morning in the NYT about the Sagan-Wannabe science channel genre.  They note that successful videos are "Information-light and punchline-heavy." Drama sells, content does not.  Another big race to the bottom. 

Interesting. I watch a variety of channels on metalwork, mainly machining. Some of the people run their mouths for maybe 40% or more of the time without actually *doing* anything. I either give up or make copious use of the fast-forward option.

Same with people like Barry (Adventures of an old sea dog) rabbiting on about nothing for 10 minutes while sailing in the middle of nowhere doing nothing.

I thought it was them with the issue. Perhaps it's me. I'm good with that, I already knew I have a very low boredom threshold.

FKT

6 hours ago, toddster said:

Somehow it reminds me of a self-help book that was a best seller a few years ago.  (Can't find it now, water under the bridge...) The author spent a few thousand bucks on Google Adwords to test exactly what topics and phrases would draw clicks.......

Back in the days of steam I think it was the editor of 'Punch' magazine who covered all bases  by publishing a book... 'Golfing for Cats' which had a swastika on the cover... as I recall the contents had nothing to do with golf, cats or nazis...... 

12 hours ago, toddster said:

Seems like a bit of AI and some very simple algorithms could churn out the very best people-pleasing pablum.  If the computers can't yet actually make the videos (not quite yet, anyway) they could at least handle the storyboarding.  

Seems like you are pleasantly unaware of the hell that is Youtube for Kids. https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Interesting. I watch a variety of channels on metalwork, mainly machining. Some of the people run their mouths for maybe 40% or more of the time without actually *doing* anything. I either give up or make copious use of the fast-forward option.

Same with people like Barry (Adventures of an old sea dog) rabbiting on about nothing for 10 minutes while sailing in the middle of nowhere doing nothing.

I thought it was them with the issue. Perhaps it's me. I'm good with that, I already knew I have a very low boredom threshold.

FKT

There are a lot  of overlong Pieces To Camera  spreading across the genre like filler on flour> However if they are to  hit their target 16 minutes each week  and all they have done is to sit in a  rolly polly anchorage  for a week then they can either Yack  at the camera saying  how they are feeling or start making films about fettling.  Barry spends months in free anchorages and grows some impressive underwater gardens.

There is nothinng cheaper  with which to fill a screen than a talking head - followed closely by a well formed cavorting body.  I find editing shots of my jowly old face so unpleasant that  I try to avoid doing it.  I also prefer to have a think about what I  have seen and where I am.

Most of them seem to  have left the swimming pigs - I  noticed that Bums on a Boat were complimented on "passing by  that stinking place".  We do see a lot of underhull scraping scenes.

If they are to hit  that  target of 16 minutes every  weekend  then they all have to hang onto that all important wifi - or invest in local phone cards. 

I think that there is a shake out under way. Fewer people are jumping on the warm water/bikini/40 footer sailing story. Getting traction is much harder. The drop out rate is increasing dramatically.

Incidentally, my revenue per film this past winter was higher than the disastrous previous two years.

It seems that the fewer films I make and the more time I  spend thinking about the contents means  that a higher proportion of viewers chip in -(still down around 3 per cent of regular viewers -   The average for Delos/Lavag is around 0.4 per cent.)  So on that count I am three times as successful as la vag. 

People also chip in on old  films - so maybe there are signs that the "long tail" is making a come  back.

. I have always said that I have lost the plot if people are watching the films  to  see what happens next - one of  the main aims  when I  am sailing is not to get frightened or make a cock up.   I make cock  ups (Cocks up) but the most frightening thing I encountered were the marina bills.

Meanwhile google keeps on tweaking the thumbnail algorithms so getting hits days or weeks after a film has been posted is extremely hard.

As an old TV hack this is so interesting to observe the speed with which change sweeps the sailing film industry.  At this rate books will  be back.....maybe read out on youtube.

Dylan

I am currrently doing a lot  of dinghy sailing and rowing to  try to  get fit for some dinghy adventuring in the lochs I missed the last time I ran out of  cash

49 minutes ago, N1772 said:

Seems like you are pleasantly unaware of the hell that is Youtube for Kids. https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

I read that with much interest -

wow and wow again

For those who can't be shagged to read 2,000 words

basically computers - along with a bit of human tweaking - are generating countless hours of content for kids - who love repetition

Kids are interested in Kinder eggs and baby fingers so they click on the thumbnails and are offered a relentless diet of  the same stuff

just as sailors are interested in bikinis and pert buttocks - so they click on the thumbnails  and are offered relentless iterations of the same stuff.

"The second is the levels of exploitation, not of children because they are children but of children because they are powerless. Automated reward systems like YouTube algorithms necessitate exploitation in the same way that capitalism necessitates exploitation, and if you’re someone who bristles at the second half of that equation then maybe this should be what convinces you of its truth. Exploitation is encoded into the systems we are building, making it harder to see, harder to think and explain, harder to counter and defend against."

Dylan

You are going to lose the 'muricans with that one Dylan, as Kinder Eggs are actually illegal in the USA.  One can get arrested bringing them over the border, although usually they just take them away from you.

So - dissatisfaction with changes at youtube is growing...  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/youtube_hq_shooting_nasim_aghdam/

1 hour ago, sculpin said:

You are going to lose the 'muricans with that one Dylan, as Kinder Eggs are actually illegal in the USA.  One can get arrested bringing them over the border, although usually they just take them away from you.

So - dissatisfaction with changes at youtube is growing...  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/youtube_hq_shooting_nasim_aghdam/

Having been engaged in a deeply frustrating dance with google algorithms for the past decade I know that dealing with them is a real challenge.  I have worked for some terrible journalism bosses over the years and google is easily the worst/most capricious/mean spirited/inhumane operation ever.

They now own almost everything I have ever produced and will own everything I will ever produce - and pay not a penny.  They encourage people to build an enterprise around their all powerful platform which has no competition  and then kick the ground away from under these budding entrepreneurs  at a moment's notice.

They drive even sane people bonkers.

I have no sympathy for the gun toting nutters though.  Violence is never the answer. 

All google gets from me is just the occasional Tsk Tsk and resigned shrug of the shoulders - while I try to guess what their latest iteration is doing and try to find a way around it. Most frustrating

Dylan

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

There are a lot  of overlong Pieces To Camera  spreading across the genre like filler on flour> However if they are to  hit their target 16 minutes each week  and all they have done is to sit in a  rolly polly anchorage  for a week then they can either Yack  at the camera saying  how they are feeling or start making films about fettling.  Barry spends months in free anchorages and grows some impressive underwater gardens.

There is nothinng cheaper  with which to fill a screen than a talking head - followed closely by a well formed cavorting body.  I find editing shots of my jowly old face so unpleasant that  I try to avoid doing it.  I also prefer to have a think about what I  have seen and where I am.

Most of them seem to  have left the swimming pigs - I  noticed that Bums on a Boat were complimented on "passing by  that stinking place".  We do see a lot of underhull scraping scenes.

If they are to hit  that  target of 16 minutes every  weekend  then they all have to hang onto that all important wifi - or invest in local phone cards. 

I think that there is a shake out under way. Fewer people are jumping on the warm water/bikini/40 footer sailing story. Getting traction is much harder. The drop out rate is increasing dramatically.

Incidentally, my revenue per film this past winter was higher than the disastrous previous two years.

It seems that the fewer films I make and the more time I  spend thinking about the contents means  that a higher proportion of viewers chip in -(still down around 3 per cent of regular viewers -   The average for Delos/Lavag is around 0.4 per cent.)  So on that count I am three times as successful as la vag. 

People also chip in on old  films - so maybe there are signs that the "long tail" is making a come  back.

. I have always said that I have lost the plot if people are watching the films  to  see what happens next - one of  the main aims  when I  am sailing is not to get frightened or make a cock up.   I make cock  ups (Cocks up) but the most frightening thing I encountered were the marina bills.

Meanwhile google keeps on tweaking the thumbnail algorithms so getting hits days or weeks after a film has been posted is extremely hard.

As an old TV hack this is so interesting to observe the speed with which change sweeps the sailing film industry.  At this rate books will  be back.....maybe read out on youtube.

Dylan

I am currrently doing a lot  of dinghy sailing and rowing to  try to  get fit for some dinghy adventuring in the lochs I missed the last time I ran out of  cash

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better this year. Maybe you'll be able to afford that little pilothouse boat.

I haven't had as much time to watch your films this winter but we're supposed to get a heap of snow on Saturday, so I may have an opportunity to catch up.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better this year. Maybe you'll be able to afford that little pilothouse boat.

I haven't had as much time to watch your films this winter but we're supposed to get a heap of snow on Saturday, so I may have an opportunity to catch up.

Enough already.  Stop with that word.  Just stop.  It will not do that on Saturday or ever again this year at least till December.  And if it does so help me God I will have the Laser (daggerboard, deck/hull joint, mast step, and cockpit drain all of which I blew apart last weekend after my first rushed and lame repair) repaired again and will be out sailing in it and posting pics in the appropriate thread for such winter sailing pics.  And you should be sailing a Hobie and not watching movies or speaking or writing this word.  Good grief.  Burn the socks and wash your mouth out with soap.

LOL... I *might* make it out tomorrow after work (another foul word), but it won't be on no Hobie. No drysuit! Water temps at 48F degrees!

Pff... shorty wetsuit weather.  

Damn.  Spent the whole nice weather window trying to fit the new (CL) 9.9 to the Zodiac. Then trying to fit the Zodiac to the old boat trailer.  And sending away for more expensive little odds and ends needed to do so.  Damn... even little boats do it.  PNM can be really harmful!  

11 hours ago, dylan winter said:

They now own almost everything I have ever produced and will own everything I will ever produce - and pay not a penny.  They encourage people to build an enterprise around their all powerful platform which has no competition  and then kick the ground away from under these budding entrepreneurs  at a moment's notice.

Do You Tube *own* your work or do they simply (!) have an unlimited right to use, re-use and abuse your work? I'm thinking it's the latter.

I own quite a bit of IP in software so these differences are important. I'll grant licences to use, re-use and maybe abuse my code including source code, but I still own the copyright and can't be prevented from using it myself.

This differs from my assigning copyright to some other organisation where I can no longer use what I created. I've done that many times when working as a contract software designer.

The distinction is important.

FKT

12 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Do You Tube *own* your work or do they simply (!) have an unlimited right to use, re-use and abuse your work? I'm thinking it's the latter.

I own quite a bit of IP in software so these differences are important. I'll grant licences to use, re-use and maybe abuse my code including source code, but I still own the copyright and can't be prevented from using it myself.

This differs from my assigning copyright to some other organisation where I can no longer use what I created. I've done that many times when working as a contract software designer.

The distinction is important.

FKT

I can still use it elsewhere - but they have it and can use it as they see fit in perpetuity and in the known and as yet unknown universe

others can copy it and use it in youtube vids.

They own it - they make the money from the advertising and the personal data flow of the people who watch it.

all signed away in the 20,000 word youtube user agreement

I think that today the distinction is irrelevant

I cannot exploit it anywhere else - because there is no-where else it can go -  they are the only game in town - and they take advantage of that.

Dylan

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I can still use it elsewhere - but they have it and can use it as they see fit in perpetuity and in the known and as yet unknown universe

others can copy it and use it in youtube vids.

They own it - they make the money from the advertising and the personal data flow of the people who watch it.

all signed away in the 20,000 word youtube user agreement

I think that today the distinction is irrelevant

I cannot exploit it anywhere else - because there is no-where else it can go -  they are the only game in town - and they take advantage of that.

Dylan

So, they don't actually own it, as I thought.

The distinction may be close to meaningless but it's still there.

FKT

15 hours ago, sculpin said:

Just saw them in a WalMart checkout lane last week. 

7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Just saw them in a WalMart checkout lane last week. 

Hmm...  per CNN:

A version of the European chocolate treats -- loved by kids and expats alike -- will launch in the U.S. in January 2018, a spokeswoman for Italian candymaker Ferrero said Monday.

Maybe you're confused because you've already seen them in stores? That's understandable.

Technically, Kinder Surprise eggs are banned in the U.S. by the FDA and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Surprise eggs consist of a milk chocolate shell with a capsule inside that contains a toy -- but that's considered a choking hazard.

Despite that ban, Kinder Surprise eggs, or knock-offs, are already widely available in the U.S. thanks to a black market.

"Any Kinder product that has been sold in the US up until now was done on an unauthorized basis," the company said in a statement.

The newest Kinder eggs to hit U.S. stores, called Kinder Joy eggs, will be completely legit.

8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

gotta hand it to him - he ain't no La Vag

He isn't a beginner either. He's done the mini transat and several transatlatics on ORMA60s. Laurent Bourgnon was his brother. My slightly pathetic claim to fame, he co-skippered an ORMA60 on a transatlantic race with an ex boss of mine.

8 hours ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

Barry's fifteen minutes of fame is about up. People watch him for his engaging personality. Nice chap to have a pint with and he has over achieved  as far as
sailing adventuring goes. He has proven that in the modern age with today's communication , equipment, and safety net, any idiot can cross the oceans, including the Pacific, with a  half million dollar floating home.  He has done the Atlantic with much less. But he is a crap sailor of the grandest order. Watching him torture himself drifting  out the San Blas was painful. Columbus'  'Santa Maria' had closer tacking angles.  He often takes 2-3 days  sailing upwind to a destination 25 miles away which should take a few hours. Barry is underfunded, old, exhausted, weak, and sometimes stays aboard over a week at a time while anchored in port. The cumulative affect has caught up to him   A third of his videos are normal rain showers with thumbnails titled  'Survived a typhoon at sea!' In his last video  his main engine and outboard were both broken  and he was towed into a marina. His engine has been under maintained for eons. Most of the time he is chasing after 'RAN' like Ahab after Moby Dick.  Leave the poor kids alone they have their own channel!   In the last 12 minute video, 5 of that ended with him playing guitar and harmonica in his cockpit.  It was a pedestrian effort with  original compositions that one might hear a pre-teen making through his bedroom door after his 5th or 6th lesson.   I truly hope he stops before he hurts himself.  Or at least finds a hippie  or two to take on board for passages.  It's obviously  become too much for him That being said, there are worse things to watch I guess. 

Yeah - I haven't watched the last couple of Barry's efforts. There seemed little point.

OK I know he arrived on the Pacific side so he's transited the Canal. He pops up on another one of the RAN sailing vids. I pretty much stopped watching theirs too when all they were doing was a daysail to another drinking hole in the Caribbean. Boring.

Gonna be interesting seeing how they all go in the Pacific if they keep heading west. Long way between islands and wifi or free internet might get a lot more scarce.

Still, if he made it this far I'd lend him one of my moorings and invite him ashore for a few beers & a feed. The Delos & La Vag crew could FOAD as far as I'm concerned.

FKT

On 4/5/2018 at 3:48 AM, sculpin said:

Hmm...  per CNN:

A version of the European chocolate treats -- loved by kids and expats alike -- will launch in the U.S. in January 2018, a spokeswoman for Italian candymaker Ferrero said Monday.

Maybe you're confused because you've already seen them in stores? That's understandable.

Technically, Kinder Surprise eggs are banned in the U.S. by the FDA and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Surprise eggs consist of a milk chocolate shell with a capsule inside that contains a toy -- but that's considered a choking hazard.

Despite that ban, Kinder Surprise eggs, or knock-offs, are already widely available in the U.S. thanks to a black market.

"Any Kinder product that has been sold in the US up until now was done on an unauthorized basis," the company said in a statement.

The newest Kinder eggs to hit U.S. stores, called Kinder Joy eggs, will be completely legit.

These were called Kinder Joy and looked like a plastic 'egg' which promised a toy inside (small diecast bicycle??) and some dreadful-looking chocky crisp as well.  Seemed very much made to generate maximum WANT!! crying scenes in the checkout aisle. Toy is not inside the foodstuff, which does indeed sound like a fucking stupid idea.

Whatever was ailing Riley seems to have cleared itself. He is now in the Caribbean so despite Brows' bleatings they didn't turn back. Their vids are starting to get like those old Saturday matinee serials with all the clickbait they are putting out. You know the scene where the stagecoach goes over the cliff and gets smashed to pieces but in next week's episode you see that the hero jumped off at the last second. 

Whew !

• Like 1
On 7.4.2018 at 12:50 AM, sculpin said:

I don't think the subtitles are accurate around 1:15...  What an adventure though!

High Northern latitude in summer.  Looks about right to me.  Even where I live, still south of the polar circle, for a few weeks the sun is just a few degrees below the horizon at midnight and, I suppose thanks to refraction, light level depends more on cloud cover than time of day.

6 hours ago, savoir said:

Whatever was ailing Riley seems to have cleared itself. He is now in the Caribbean so despite Brows' bleatings they didn't turn back. Their vids are starting to get like those old Saturday matinee serials with all the clickbait they are putting out. You know the scene where the stagecoach goes over the cliff and gets smashed to pieces but in next week's episode you see that the hero jumped off at the last second. 

Whew !

There is a strong aspect of a floating soap opera to some of the films

The location of the drama is, at times, all but irrelevant.

Dylan

Yup, he quit doing his own thing, now he wants to be just like Delos with visions of Patreon bucks dancing in his head....

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

One moment he had a family and a banker to look after so couldn't do it full time. Did he kill them to be able to follow in Delos's shoes?

He is going to start taking more patrons on board ...

although I am not sure that more people make the films any better -

more films as good as the delos ones would be good for the market

Their films actually have a sense of  place

but it will be most interesting to see the change in style at naked lady sailing.

For me the relentless warm water sailing is really wearing a bit thin. I have never sailed in warm water and never will - I have never owned anything bigger than 26 feet so cats as big as tennis courts just seem like an encumbrance to me

just to keep us up to speed on the latest 16 minutes from la vag

looks as though she has been crying for the camera

200,000 hits and 1,000 comments - plus    $10K from patreon

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabondehttps://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

They are  the  big hitters of the genre.

Dylan

Now I’m really getting confused... Which is the more essential cruising gear: Fresh standing rigging or a camera drone?  Which is best to have in a storm: Jordan Series Drogue, or Panasonic Video Camera?  Should the Coast Guard prevent reckless sailors from trying to leave port with only an old Kodak?  I think we can all agree that the most essential bit of sailing kit is well-founded, full-keeled (avoid bolted-on keels...) bikini girl, but I don’t think my budget would stretch that far.  

Camera mounts are the new cup-holders.  

• Like 1