Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

What do people get in return for their donation?

From reading the blog (i admit very briefly) i got the opinion that she is fixing the boat to sell it and move home???

I can understand why my generation is universally disliked, and the one coming after isn't much better. 

13 minutes ago, rhysmate said:

From reading the blog (i admit very briefly) i got the opinion that she is fixing the boat to sell it and move home???

I can understand why my generation is universally disliked, and the one coming after isn't much better. 

The standard answer to your question used to be: "You get entertainment. I continue to make videos for you to watch."

In her case, you don't even get that. I'm not going to piss on your generation. Once in awhile, I meet a few that give me hope.

17 hours ago, jgbrown said:

Wonder if there'd be an interest in a funding campaign for me to buy it off her.  In exchange for the funding I would commit to never wearing a bikini(or mankini), only sail it in cold places and film and release youtube videos as often as golden globe racers, unless something is actually wrong(that would get HD filming of course).  Patreon members could receive a monthly spreadsheet of all the things that broke and were fixed without drama. 

Channeling your inner Dylan Winter?

4 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

I watched one of their videos some time ago when the putz was talking about how money is evil and they wanted to live off the land. 

Then I watched as their boat took on water and had no money for professional salvage help or repairs.

And there is something about his personality that doesn't click.  He just doesn't come off as a nice guy.

he kept the camera running through the disaster

so I winged him $5 for a well told story.

as for what people get from tapping in (donations)  - I assume that there are as many reasons as there are contributors

For some it might be the way you give money to a good busker - for a job well done

for some it is compassion and a desire to see the story telling continue

.... I think for some it is the thought that they pay for netlflix... so why not a sailor who tells you an interesting story.

I have been to lots of sailing club talks that cost £5 for two hours sitting on a hard chair looking at slides on a big screen while a richy bloke tells you how tough their sailing life is

For some it is a chance to get in the free holiday lottery la vag et al, offer to high paying patreons

and

for some it is a chance to get an occasional glance of a free swinging buster

D

PS I am occasionally astonished at how angry some forumites get about something that is delivered to their desktops for freemans

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

as for what people get from tapping in (donations)  - I assume that there are as many reasons as there are contributors

For some it might be the way you give money to a good busker - for a job well done

.... I think for some it is the thought that they pay for netlflix... so why not a sailor who tells you an interesting story.

I have been to lots of sailing club talks that cost £5 for two hours sitting on a hard chair looking at slides on a big screen while a richy bloke tells you how tough their sailing life is

For some it is a chance to get in the free holiday lottery la vag et al, offer to high paying patreons

and

D

PS I am occasionally astonished at how angry some forumites get about something that is delivered to their desktops for freemans

I agree, just to clarify what i meant by my question of what people get in return for donations.

I meant in particular the Papageno saga, purely because it appears that its being repaired to sell... 

I have a Patreon that a small number donate to the project in return for early videos so i am obviously not against the idea of it, just that particular situation doesn't sit right with me. 

33 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

and

D

CHESSS, the shorthanded sailing club that I started, is hosting circumnavigator Jerome Rand for a presentation in November. His fee was $500, which the club is paying, but we are not charging admission. So people will sit on their hard chairs for free. :)

1 hour ago, rhysmate said:

I agree, just to clarify what i meant by my question of what people get in return for donations.

I meant in particular the Papageno saga, purely because it appears that its being repaired to sell... 

I have a Patreon that a small number donate to the project in return for early videos so i am obviously not against the idea of it, just that particular situation doesn't sit right with me. 

I think if you read the comments under her film you will see what the followers are getting from it - they feel they shared her joys and now they can share her obvious pain

the comments go on for page after page

and many of them are women

who are as rare as hens teeth in the comments on my vids

PS - by way of a change here are two happy sailors - both nice to look at - lovely teeth, too many tats,  enthusing about lithium batteries - goodonem

2 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I think if you read the comments under her film you will see what the followers are getting from it - they feel they shared her joys and now they can share her obvious pain

the comments go on for page after page

and many of them are women

who are as rare as hens teeth in the comments on my vids

fair point :) and ya, less than 1% of my viewers are female... 

PS. i started watching you recently

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

CHESSS, the shorthanded sailing club that I started, is hosting circumnavigator Jerome Rand for a presentation in November. His fee was $500, which the club is paying, but we are not charging admission. So people will sit on their hard chairs for free. :)

I met Jerome at the Newport Boat Show and had a few rum drinks with him at the Bitter End Yacht Club trailer and he is a first rate sailor and represents us well. If you get a chance to hear him speak then for sure don't miss it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, rhysmate said:

Come on, let's be honest here. Look at who is  donating. It's the misguided old man fantasy that they donations will become friendship, and before too long they will be motor-boating with her down island - and giving her the missing mast.

I had gotten bored and unsubscribed from this channel. Somehow the youtube fairies knew I would be intrigued by this thumbnail. Don't bother clicking. They don't sink their boat, it is just a clickbait thumbnail. In fact, nothing happens in this episode except them talking. About something that happened to a previous owner 10 years ago. 

They must be getting desperate. This channel took and interesting approach, and I first saw them as sponsored content. They got a lot of followers quickly that way, but they must just be bleeding views since they sold the HR, stopped sailing, and now just film the side of a boat sitting in a yard in New Jersey.

1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

I had gotten bored and unsubscribed from this channel. Somehow the youtube fairies knew I would be intrigued by this thumbnail. Don't bother clicking. They don't sink their boat, it is just a clickbait thumbnail. In fact, nothing happens in this episode except them talking. About something that happened to a previous owner 10 years ago. 

They must be getting desperate. This channel took and interesting approach, and I first saw them as sponsored content. They got a lot of followers quickly that way, but they must just be bleeding views since they sold the HR, stopped sailing, and now just film the side of a boat sitting in a yard in New Jersey.

I was hoping her busters would emerge but they always seem well hidden.   She is quite a hottie.   I also stopped watching once they sold the HR to buy this piece of crap.

17 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I was hoping her busters would emerge but they always seem well hidden.   She is quite a hottie.   I also stopped watching once they sold the HR to buy this piece of crap.

well, they spent so much time at the beginning pontificating about never being that kid of channel, it will be funny to watch when they eventually and slowly do. Check back in a few months.

6 hours ago, freewheelin said:

Agree. What a crock. They filmed themselves talking on a mobile phone with the original builder. I skipped forward in chunks to see if things improved. Nope.

Talking about stuff you might do one day while begging for donations.

FKT

• Like 1
On 11/2/2018 at 2:45 AM, jack_sparrow said:

LB went to the LeVag presentation at his club and was caught hiding behind the lecturn. I think he was made to clean up the drool.

In fact I was offered a choice of a free ticket to go or shooting myself in the cock. It still hurts to piss a bit but most of the powder burns have healed.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

In fact I was offered a choice of a free ticket to go or shooting myself in the cock. It still hurts to piss a bit but most of the powder burns have healed.

Lynn Pardey is hanging about up at Scarborough ATM, I'm reliably informed. Perhaps the sight of her would help the healing process.

At least she actually knows how to sail.

FKT

• Like 1
On 11/1/2018 at 9:48 AM, dylan winter said:

"Ka-Ching!" from me. I'll need a refund - or at least fair warning -  if you start showing your tits though.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:38 AM, Zora said:

Someone broke into his boat this week and stole all his laptop and camera gear. 

"FROM SALTY's FACEBOOK PAGE.....Robbed. Two nights ago while ashore I was boarded and robbed. Thieves took all of my computers. Including the Mac with finished episodes and all my work on it. Also two Samsung tablets with navigation software. I dont speak Spainish to report this and even if I did I'm sure nothing would become of it. Its my own fault as Id not locked one of the hatches when going out. Changed all my passwords and am hoping the bastards don't manage to get in to my info and content. I'm in sh...ock thinking of all of the work that Ive lost including the last two episodes of this season. I have the raw footage on a hard drive but now nothing to edit on! They didn't take the cameras, harddrives or anyother valubles that I know of. Not been a been good couple of months. Apart from some other things Ive had to deal with, last week I fell down an escalator and cut the back of my foot! Now a huge amout to do to get set up again before I leave."

no film posted for three weeks from him - a three week gap from me is nothing at all as I do not post each week - but Bassa has been very regular - I underdtand that he is off on a 4,000 mile sail

Dylan

PS this dropped into my inbox - coming to a lake near you

girl in bikini on a drone - it is a brilliantly shot item

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:
"FROM SALTY's FACEBOOK PAGE.....Robbed. Two nights ago while ashore I was boarded and robbed. Thieves took all of my computers. Including the Mac with finished episodes and all my work on it. Also two Samsung tablets with navigation software. I dont speak Spainish to report this and even if I did I'm sure nothing would become of it. Its my own fault as Id not locked one of the hatches when going out. Changed all my passwords and am hoping the bastards don't manage to get in to my info and content. I'm in sh...ock thinking of all of the work that Ive lost including the last two episodes of this season. I have the raw footage on a hard drive but now nothing to edit on! They didn't take the cameras, harddrives or anyother valubles that I know of. Not been a been good couple of months. Apart from some other things Ive had to deal with, last week I fell down an escalator and cut the back of my foot! Now a huge amout to do to get set up again before I leave."

no film posted for three weeks from him - a three week gap from me is nothing at all as I do not post each week - but Bassa has been very regular - I underdtand that he is off on a 4,000 mile sail

Dylan

PS this dropped into my inbox - coming to a lake near you

girl in bikini on a drone - it is a brilliantly shot item

Ooooooooooh yes... If you thought drunk rednecks on jetskis were a problem, wait until this becomes mainstream. Water crashes, mid-air collisions, smashing into trees. It will definitely happen.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Lynn Pardey is hanging about up at Scarborough ATM, I'm reliably informed. Perhaps the sight of her would help the healing process.

At least she actually knows how to sail.

FKT

She is a true sailor. Been at the game a long time. I haven’t communicated with her in over 20 years...

So, I don't know if Simon's been posted, but I'm sure you'll all have a lot to say about him and his adventures. He's close to my heart, as he's doing what he can on an (even with Patreon) pretty limited budget, he works odd jobs, lives on the west coast of BC, all that good stuff. 

On the down side his boat's a 50-ish foot wharram cat that has an abomination of a deck pod/cabin, and he's not exactly going about it in the best way for a sailing vessel. Lots of extra weight, focus on things that aren't exactly important, windage like you wouldn't believe. I almost am torn on how to feel about it because this guy works HARD, even if a lot of his labour seems misguided. I think respect is the appropriate response, plenty of people have given him advice and suggestions but he's very set on doing things his own way, so I think at this point you just watch the videos, enjoy the scenery, and hope against hope it turns out better than it seems like it will. He's going for an unstayed, biplane junk rig which won't perform too well upwind, but he seems to both recognize and be okay with it. 

Very interesting all around. 

51 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

So, I don't know if Simon's been posted, but I'm sure you'll all have a lot to say about him and his adventures. He's close to my heart, as he's doing what he can on an (even with Patreon) pretty limited budget, he works odd jobs, lives on the west coast of BC, all that good stuff.

Watched a couple, gave up. I like people doing stuff but I simply cannot relate to him or what he's doing. OK he's not as bad as the 'Rusty Junk' man, but he's not far off it.

FKT

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
1 hour ago, Vaeredil said:

Watched a couple, gave up. I like people doing stuff but I simply cannot relate to him or what he's doing. OK he's not as bad as the 'Rusty Junk' man, but he's not far off it.

I watched chunks of the vid which Vaeredil posted.  Despite his painfully hipsterish hair, I tried to like him ... but his determination to add tons of weight to a catamaran won't end well.  All sorts of trouble arises from that.

In any case, Wharram ply catamarans don't usually have a hugely long life.  They are signed to be a quick-and-dirty go-now boat, not an heirloom.  I have read of 20 years as being average before the rot gets to critical places.  His boat doesn't look young, and adding all this weight will increase the stress on an already weakened hull.  Not good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I have to admit to a morbid fascination with Rusty Junk, just to see what he will come up with next. :P

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I watched chunks of the vid which Vaeredil posted.  Despite his painfully hipsterish hair, I tried to like him ... but his determination to add tons of weight to a catamaran won't end well.  All sorts of trouble arises from that.

In any case, Wharram ply catamarans don't usually have a hugely long life.  They are signed to be a quick-and-dirty go-now boat, not an heirloom.  I have read of 20 years as being average before the rot gets to critical places.  His boat doesn't look young, and adding all this weight will increase the stress on an already weakened hull.  Not good.

And his definitely has some bad chunks. There's an episode where he's replacing completely rotted wood from the stern with standard 2x4's and a messy ply job and then slathering epoxy on it. It'll be a tough boat when he's done, but I can't see it sailing well, if at all. 

I just wish he was putting his massive work ethic towards a sailboat that was a little more productive. 

EDIT: in case you hadn't noticed, apparently his boat is narrow than design for that wharram model, and he's replacing the original rope lashings with a  solid superstructure. Not good. Those lashings may have provided enough "give" to have kept the boat together for longer than it will now. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Vaeredil said:

I just wish he was putting his massive work ethic towards a sailboat that was a little more productive. 

This is why the goddess invented management: to direct the hard labours of the worker towards productive practises, and way from time-wasting follies.

(Also, to pointlessly harass and humiliate and misdirect workers if the manger is an eejit, as is too often the case, and to cream off the profit in most cases.  But I digress)

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

his boat is narrow than design for that wharram model, and he's replacing the original rope lashings with a  solid superstructure. Not good. Those lashings may have provided enough "give" to have kept the boat together for longer than it will now

Oh Lordy.  I just pray he keeps it as a houseboat on some river, and doesn't take to sea.

Hardening soft connections is rarely a wise move.  Doing so when adding weight increase the stresses. :(

This could end as nastily as HotRod's adventures in boatbuilding-by-shedmaker.  Simon's follies may yet deserve their own thread.

• Like 1
Just now, TwoLegged said:

Oh Lordy.  I just pray he keeps it as a houseboat on some river, and doesn't take to sea.

Hardening soft connections is rarely a wise move.  Doing so when adding weight increase the stresses. :(

This could end as nastily as HotRod's adventures in boatbuilding-by-shedmaker.  Simon's follies may yet deserve their own thread.

Honestly, there's quite a lot that could be said. We kinda do need a long-term boat to talk about right now, don't we? Not much movement on the Rimas side and HotRod is long gone. 

There's an episode where the rotten floor of the middle pod falls (rots) out and he loses something like a dozen batteries and a bunch of tools at the bottom of the bay. Luckily, he is moored in a shallow spot and can retrieve them.....

46 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

This is why the goddess invented management: to direct the hard labours of the worker towards productive practises, and way from time-wasting follies.

(Also, to pointlessly harass and humiliate and misdirect workers if the manger is an eejit, as is too often the case, and to cream off the profit in most cases.  But I digress)

I got promoted to manager. Many times. I always ended up resigning. I like building stuff, not telling other people how to build stuff. A team of 10 is about the max I was ever happy managing.

Pretty much all my staff from my last managerial stint still talk to me so I must have got something half right.

Anyway I just came in for a coffee after welding up another bit of stainless jewellery for my boat that I probably could have gotten by without from now to eternity, so I wouldn't put myself forward as any exemplar of avoidance of time-wasting follies.

It is strong and likely useful though. Nice square socket for a table, a winch, a vise or anything else I want to mount to a bit of 50 x 50 square tube and drop in the socket. One day I might congratulate myself on my forethought.

Pity about the job list I'm *supposed* to be reducing though.

As for the rusty junk man I'm well & truly over him. His standard of work is worse than Brent Swain's and that's a pretty difficult achievement.

FKT

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mad said:

I have to admit to a morbid fascination with Rusty Junk, just to see what he will come up with next. :P

I am more concerned about what pics that fuckhead VWAP will post when he sees the phrase ‘rusty junk’.

• Like 1

In Oz it's legal to own a wombat for a pet. They're all cute and furry. Not well known.Women fall to pieces around them.  

So, I'm going to buy a little fat fucker and do a "A Man and his Bear goes Sailing".

I'll grow a Grizzly Adams beard, and we'll set up a Patreon account and cater to all the animal lovers as well as single women thirsting for a small rotund furry thing that bites. Hard. And often. But at least It won't kill you.

We might go and find a Japanese whaling ship and Wally will sacrifice himself by being tethered to a harpoon shot from a cannon into the screws of the whaling ship (whilst being videoed in all its bloody glory), thus ensuring prime time on all major news channels across the world.

I'm going to be rich, so I'll keep buying new wombats. Each episode can model Wally as Kenny from South Park.

I'm going to be so rich. Yuge.

Wombat-the-Largest-of-his-species.thumb.jpg.73a5e6bea3482e001cc17dd5bbff79dd.jpg

Do wombats scream?

Maybe I should record the audio just in case.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

In Oz it's legal to own a wombat for a pet. They're all cute and furry. Not well known.Women fall to pieces around them.  

So, I'm going to buy a little fat fucker and do a "A Man and his Bear goes Sailing".

I'll grow a Grizzly Adams beard, and we'll set up a Patreon account and cater to all the animal lovers as well as single women thirsting for a small rotund furry thing that bites. Hard. And often. But at least It won't kill you.

We might go and find a Japanese whaling ship and Wally will sacrifice himself by being tethered to a harpoon shot from a cannon into the screws of the whaling ship (whilst being videoed in all its bloody glory), thus ensuring prime time on all major news channels across the world.

I'm going to be rich, so I'll keep buying new wombats. Each episode can model Wally as Kenny from South Park.

Wombat-the-Largest-of-his-species.thumb.jpg.73a5e6bea3482e001cc17dd5bbff79dd.jpg

Do wombats scream?

You can dub in Yoko Ono as required.

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Do wombats scream?

My country property in NSW is overrun with the little bastards. Their favourite habit is digging burrows in the middle of the farm tracks. I couldn't bring myself to shoot them even if it was legal - which it probably isn't.

Feel free to come & live-trap replacements any time you need one.

FKT

Thanks FKT,

If the sailing vlog fails, we could always look at establishing a sex trade in them to Japan.

I've seen some of their game shows, there's no way on God's green earth that those bastards are not into weirder shit than I could ever dream of. 

wombatb.jpg.af7cad2224e2e9971621c8afc2bda429.jpg

8 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Thanks FKT,

If the sailing vlog fails, we could always look at establishing a sex trade in them to Japan.

I've seen some of their game shows, there's no way on God's green earth that those bastards are not into weirder shit than I could ever dream of. 

They may fuck wombats, but they will still pixellate all the good bits.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Honestly, there's quite a lot that could be said. We kinda do need a long-term boat to talk about right now, don't we? Not much movement on the Rimas side and HotRod is long gone. 

There's an episode where the rotten floor of the middle pod falls (rots) out and he loses something like a dozen batteries and a bunch of tools at the bottom of the bay. Luckily, he is moored in a shallow spot and can retrieve them.....

That's excellent entertainment right there.  Can't imagine the batteries liked that bath too much.   There's a certain draw towards the most unrewarding project type boats for some.

• Like 1

farm girl - 13 million hits on repairing a washing machine....

this is the patreon page  for jennifer saucier - aka farm girl

https://www.patreon.com/bansheemoon

you have to agree that you are over 18 to view it

she is- over 50

14 Oct 2015 - Jennifer Saucier, who goes by Farm Girl Jen, said she earns six figures ... Last summer, a video of Jen weight training with a tractor went viral, ...

218 nillion hits

good on her - and good on him

this is one wonderful world

back to sailing films

Incidentally - the power of the naked shoulder here

there is this channel - just a french sailing  holiday film

ticking along at 2,000 views per film - 20 films posted

one thumbnail of a pair of naked shoulder - bingo 171,000

and I just know that shed loads of blokes are watching to see more of her

D

surely they woud be better off watching more and better flesh on pornhub - or so I have heard

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Thanks FKT,

There's a dead wombat that you're allowed to pat - it's an art object in the University Museum next to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens, I forget the name. 

OK it's *supposed* to be a cow lying down, but it looks a hell of a lot more like a wombat. One could get some 'interesting' pictures posing with it. Provided the attendants weren't watching.....

FKT

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

champ is gone - sailors dog dies

That was really heartbreaking, Gotta be one of the most emotional thing's I've seen on youtube, ever. The guy really loved his dog. 

1 hour ago, Vaeredil said:

That was really heartbreaking, Gotta be one of the most emotional thing's I've seen on youtube, ever. The guy really loved his dog. 

That was really hard to watch, Simon is a really nice guy and he had champ for a very long time. 

On the subject of people clicking on nakedness, the real problem isn't that people put the videos up.. it's that millions of people jump on it. It's hard to keep making honest videos when a flash of ass gets such a response. 

2 minutes ago, Zora said:

That was really hard to watch, Simon is a really nice guy and he had champ for a very long time. 

On the subject of people clicking on nakedness, the real problem isn't that people put the videos up.. it's that millions of people jump on it. It's hard to keep making honest videos when a flash of ass gets such a response. 

Good luck changing human nature. Porn has been one of the biggest drivers for tech on the internet.

I could take exception with the implied pretentiousness of describing what you do as 'honest videos' as opposed to those doing the bikini babe thing. If I cared enough. Which currently I don't so I'll just make that point that you want to be careful implying that those others are making 'dishonest' videos simply because they do things differently.

As far as I'm concerned all of the YouTube vloggers running Patreon or similar accounts and shilling the same in their videos are in the content for money biz. Some are more interesting/successful than others. Attractive and scantily clad women are ways of getting more paying punters. I have no problems with that. Free Range Sailing is one of my favourites. Troy is laid back and *highly* technically competent. Pascale is cute, good on camera and very nice to look at in her swim wear. They have an old 30 foot boat, go interesting places and do stuff. And, unlike a number of vloggers I can think of, they don't spend 75% of their time talking to the camera about stuff they're *going* to do, they get out there and do it.

FKT

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Good luck changing human nature. Porn has been one of the biggest drivers for tech on the internet.

I could take exception with the implied pretentiousness of describing what you do as 'honest videos' as opposed to those doing the bikini babe thing. If I cared enough. Which currently I don't so I'll just make that point that you want to be careful implying that those others are making 'dishonest' videos simply because they do things differently.

As far as I'm concerned all of the YouTube vloggers running Patreon or similar accounts and shilling the same in their videos are in the content for money biz. Some are more interesting/successful than others. Attractive and scantily clad women are ways of getting more paying punters. I have no problems with that. Free Range Sailing is one of my favourites. Troy is laid back and *highly* technically competent. Pascale is cute, good on camera and very nice to look at in her swim wear. They have an old 30 foot boat, go interesting places and do stuff. And, unlike a number of vloggers I can think of, they don't spend 75% of their time talking to the camera about stuff they're *going* to do, they get out there and do it.

FKT

I actually didn't mention my videos at all?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zora said:

I actually didn't mention my videos at all?

I wasn't aiming the comments specifically at yours. I've watched most of yours, FWIW. Don't take this to heart but as a person who's fitted out a steel boat, I'm waiting to see just how badly you misjudge how long things are going to take. And yeah, that *is* the voice of experience talking.

My build went precisely as expected, however. It's way over time and budget. And now if I include the cost of driveway work, it's *waaaaaaaay* over budget. But what the hell, it's only money.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I wasn't aiming the comments specifically at yours. I've watched most of yours, FWIW. Don't take this to heart but as a person who's fitted out a steel boat, I'm waiting to see just how badly you misjudge how long things are going to take. And yeah, that *is* the voice of experience talking.

My build went precisely as expected, however. It's way over time and budget. And now if I include the cost of driveway work, it's *waaaaaaaay* over budget. But what the hell, it's only money.

FKT

I agree, i am probably being too optimistic on the timeline but i'm just going to keep pressing on and hope i'm not wayyy off.. If i am somewhat ready to do some proper sailing in the summer of 2020 i'll be happy..But i'll be even happier if i do it right.  With the money side, i don't have a "budget" because the boat is my only expense and it takes everything.. so i guess i just have to keep spending and hope i don't have to sell my kidney. 

How long did it take to fit out your? Similar size?

I appreciate you watching, thanks for the feedback. 

2 minutes ago, Zora said:

How long did it take to fit out your? Similar size?

36 months I'd say but spread out over more years - I usually spend at least 4 months working on other projects, usually interstate to warmer climates in the winter.

12m single chine boat, 7.5 tonne displacement.

That time includes all the interior construction, plumbing, wiring, making custom bits, sewing the cushion covers, making the sails & masts etc etc. I haven't paid anyone to do a single thing on the boat. Got some help from friends along the way but basically a single person's time.

Building the hull was the easy part.

If I were to do it again I'd be at least 25% faster, probably 33% and possibly even more. But you have to pay your dues. I have a pretty long mental list of things I'd NEVER do again, too. Starting with making my own opening bronze port holes, a subject that still causes me much pain every time I think about it. But they do look good.

FKT

• Like 1
Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

36 months I'd say but spread out over more years - I usually spend at least 4 months working on other projects, usually interstate to warmer climates in the winter.

12m single chine boat, 7.5 tonne displacement.

That time includes all the interior construction, plumbing, wiring, making custom bits, sewing the cushion covers, making the sails & masts etc etc. I haven't paid anyone to do a single thing on the boat. Got some help from friends along the way but basically a single person's time.

Building the hull was the easy part.

If I were to do it again I'd be at least 25% faster, probably 33% and possibly even more. But you have to pay your dues. I have a pretty long mental list of things I'd NEVER do again, too. Starting with making my own opening bronze port holes, a subject that still causes me much pain every time I think about it. But they do look good.

FKT

36 months is pretty decent? evening and weekends or full time?

I've had Zora since February, and luckily the sails etc came with it. Not sure if you came across the sailing video but she sails pretty nicely considering it's about 4 inches above the designed waterline (for now until i fit out). I'm giving myself another 18 months and if i slip by 6/12 months i'm not too worried. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw... i'll stop now... 

7 hours ago, Zora said:

36 months is pretty decent? evening and weekends or full time?

I've had Zora since February, and luckily the sails etc came with it. Not sure if you came across the sailing video but she sails pretty nicely considering it's about 4 inches above the designed waterline (for now until i fit out). I'm giving myself another 18 months and if i slip by 6/12 months i'm not too worried. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw... i'll stop now... 

thread drift is good - it is a sign of a healthy discussion...

well done for throwing so much effort at a  boat . She looks wonderful

and you are making progress with the no tits youtube hits

https://www.youtube.com/user/rhyswalters1/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

you probably need to raise your game on the wind noise once you start sailing  - base 1 with sailing vids

If you want to make the video thing really work then you probably need some nice tits on board -

image.php?large=5181763

However, short term it seems you are going to spend two years making fettling films

there are two masters of this genre

Mads from sail life - who sadly gets seasick when he leaves harbour

and  sampson boat co

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

he has a nice boat, nice girl, nice parrot

both of these fettling video s do astonishingly well and are generally beautifully made and structured films - these blokes know about the genre.

this is sampsons patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco

with 1400 patrons he is doing very well indeed.

but he gets 150,000 views  per film and around 1 per  cent of those viewers have signed up.

I have been making you tube films for a decade now - the financial model has changed with the web and the speed of digits arriving in old men's houses.

for  a while I was offering downloads, then DVDs, and now to busking for paypal taps...

which as any busker will tell you ... is not a good way of making money and I have not turned a frame on the project for 18 months

I have a bit more material about scotland to edit and post this winter...

I am attempting a few more twists of the genre - dumping the plinky plonky music that gets smeared over every sailing film, removing my ugly face and using more natural audio... not much is woking

after I run out of scottish films  I am guessing that KTL will, like the tide, slowly ebb away - and nothing at all wrong with that

D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

thread drift is good - it is a sign of a healthy discussion...

well done for throwing so much effort at a  boat . She looks wonderful

and you are making progress with the no tits youtube hits

https://www.youtube.com/user/rhyswalters1/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p

you probably need to raise your game on the wind noise once you start sailing  - base 1 with sailing vids

If you want to make the video thing really work then you probably need some nice tits on board -

image.php?large=5181763

However, short term it seems you are going to spend two years making fettling films

there are two masters of this genre

Mads from sail life - who sadly gets seasick when he leaves harbour

and  sampson boat co

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

he has a nice boat, nice girl, nice parrot

both of these fettling video s do astonishingly well and are generally beautifully made and structured films - these blokes know about the genre.

this is sampsons patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco

with 1400 patrons he is doing very well indeed.

but he gets 150,000 views  per film and around 1 per  cent of those viewers have signed up.

I have been making you tube films for a decade now - the financial model has changed with the web and the speed of digits arriving in old men's houses.

for  a while I was offering downloads, then DVDs, and now to busking for paypal taps...

which as any busker will tell you ... is not a good way of making money and I have not turned a frame on the project for 18 months

I have a bit more material about scotland to edit and post this winter...

I am attempting a few more twists of the genre - dumping the plinky plonky music that gets smeared over every sailing film, removing my ugly face and using more natural audio... not much is woking

after I run out of scottish films  I am guessing that KTL will, like the tide, slowly ebb away - and nothing at all wrong with that

D

I appreciate that Dylan, thanks for watching. I've enjoyed your Sailing the Forth videos, as have lots of others (I forgot to subscribe but now have). I find them easy to watch because of the more ambient audio and nice shots of what is happening around you. I've just been lucky with subscribers due to making friends with other channels (Brupeg, Seeker, Arabella, Tally HO), and we talk about each other in our videos which shares the love a bit. 

I watch Leo religiously, he's a nice guy. We were in touch a bit when Seeker was doing some work with us all. I watch Sail Life here and there. He structures his videos really well!

Hopefully you are right and 2 years of fettling will see me through. I'm wondering what will happen to the audience then when i transition into a "sailing channel", but i have a plan for that. Thanks for the tip on audio, it has been one of my bigger challenges but i think i am getting the hang of it. 

Currently saving for a boob job so maybe that will help boost the channel a bit. 

the good thing about his videos is that it gives a real insight into the optimism with which some people approach a project.

His decision making is astonishing to watch.

He likes coffee. He liked his dog.

A near scrapper warram goes on to give pleasure to him, his friends and a few old blokes on a forum.

All for free - no need to pay

On the other hand if you like the films and want to send him a present in the post he usually opens them on film.

But, just like a busker,  you are also  free to walk on by  -

but unlike a busker,  you never have to look him in the eye after spending 20 minutes listening to his material

Goodinit

• Like 2

Finding Simon: The saga continues. the first 4:30 is just sponsor talk about a watch. He rescues some of the batteries that fell out of the boat when the cabin floor broke through, and cuts one apart cause his subs have been keyboarding about their danger. Not much sailing content in this one :/

This little gem right here deserves a prominent place in the Pantheon of Sailing Vlogs of All Time. I mean this with respect because the protagonist here is doing many things right.

However, the masts being fixed on a small budget is just Not. Gonna. Happen.

I love the part where Stella gets her groove back. Really nice video work and well worth the watch. Props for the Moxie!

https://youtu.be/jynIdN9ylT0

5 hours ago, Jib Man said:

This little gem right here deserves a prominent place in the Pantheon of Sailing Vlogs of All Time. I mean this with respect because the protagonist here is doing many things right.

I love the part where Stella gets her groove back. Really nice video work and well worth the watch. Props for the Moxie!

WARNING: It's Lizbef

• Like 1
On 11/12/2018 at 1:04 AM, Jib Man said:

You need to get out more. The only entertainment value in her shit is what a train smash her life is. 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:15 PM, toddster said:

WARNING: It's Lizbef

This is like when people try to post the link to VoidHo! to trick you into clicking on it.  Remember this game?

circle.jpg.93162e04784dc9373add10d40a7e133e.jpg

• Like 1

For those of us who live out on the fringe goat-trails of the information superhighway, clicking on one of these video links is a significant investment in time and resources.  Not to mention even opening this thread. I should know better...  

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

This is like when people try to post the link to VoidHo! to trick you into clicking on it.  Remember this game?

VoidHo is the sailing forum's version of getting RickRolled.

1 hour ago, Blitz said:
5 hours ago, Ajax said:

The hole game.

I don't know that game. It's very close to this nasty symbol.

maxresdefault.jpg

Really ??

FFS has the entire planet been lobotomized to remove their common sense and context glands. Professional protesters find yet another way to be offended.

BTW Technically in the image posted upthread the sign was upside down so presumably means delightful masturbation.

NTTIAWWT YMMV

I am getting too old for this shit