Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

12 hours ago, kadyca said:

Well, they are putting the boat up for sale in Mexico and moving on to other adventures. Their videos are still months behind. I think the most recent ones they posted are still from when they in SoCal last fall. 

They haven't been very transparent about what caused them to want to stop sailing, but my take from what I've gathered from their videos (which I only started watching when I saw they they were passing through SF on their way south) is that they are fairly typical of a couple who weren't sailors to start with, but somehow got excited about the whole tiny living thing and what would be better than living on sailboat, but in the process of sailing down the coast and getting to Mexico figured out that sailing really isn't their thing. Kudos to them thoughit i for at least making it that far. It's like they did the hard part but were too worn out by it to enjoy it once they finally got to the Sea of Cortez and could not get excited about continuing.

They are a pretty young couple, so another part of it might be that Mexico just isn't exciting/social enough for them, as it seems like the majority of Mexico cruisers may be on the older/retired type? So who knows. I'll be curious to see what they do next. I could easily see them going the RV route or a THOW back in PNW where they are from, or maybe they buy a boat in the Med or fix up a hurricane damaged boat in the Caribbean. Regardless, I wish them well.

the whole sailing film market has been a fascinating experiment in free market economics

my guess is that the shake-out has started

the bikini schtick has gone bust

following on the heels of the success of Sampson we are starting to get a few resurrection series coming along

2 minutes ago, chester said:

"the bikini schtick has gone bust"  Say it isn't so!!!!

great name for that comment Mr Chester

I think that once some-one like sailinf Seill 3  twists the genre so hard thatn it eats its own tail and  when Sailing with the  Wynns start making bikini videos wwith some other pair of identikit cat sailors the end is nigh

^^^^ Looks like the opening shot of a terrible american sit-com.

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

a situation without the comedy

Dylan

Like most American sit coms. Glad I grew up with Canadian parents and I got a taste of that sense of humor. Then I discovered Monty Python at 13 and it was all down hill from there.

Jim

41 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

50,000 views in 10 hours

time for delos chicks to strip

Wow, a side boob. I am in a state of tugidity now. (Sorry, no purple font here). They must get paid by the view. You’d know better than I.

Jim

1 minute ago, woahboy said:

Wow, a side boob. I am in a state of tugidity now. (Sorry, no purple font here). They must get paid by the view. You’d know better than I. I have always enjoyed yours Mr. Winter. Keep up the good work. Will pitch in when I can.

Jim

12 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Wow, a side boob. I am in a state of tugidity now. (Sorry, no purple font here). They must get paid by the view. You’d know better than I.

Jim

about $2.50 per thousand

I earn nuffink as I got culled from adsense 8 years ago

Dylan

6 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

about $2.50 per thousand

I earn nuffink as I got culled ffrom adsense 8 years ago

Dylan

Bloody wankers!

Jim

9 hours ago, chester said:

to be fair, Distance shores is really the original sailing/lifestyle boat.  They've been doing this for decades.....PI (pre-internet)

I would more inclined to credit the Hiscocks and the Johnsons with that. One of Exy Johnson's books has a great photo of at least 6 crew sat round a table, each of them with a portable typewriter, banging out their account of the most recent passage. Reminded me of Delos with their laptops.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, kass said:

I would more inclined to credit the Hiscocks and the Johnsons with that. One of Exy Johnson's books has a great photo of at least 6 crew sat round a table, each of them with a portable typewriter, banging out their account of the most recent passage. Reminded me of Delos with their laptops.

there are several who pre-date the days of "woo hoo everything is free"

we could now spend all night every noght watching sailing films

all beamed to our houses

good thing?

perhaps.

12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

50,000 views in 10 hours

time for delos chicks to strip

Image result for jack nicholson wanking gif

Haven't you lot got anything better to do?

11 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

we could now spend all night every noght watching sailing films

all beamed to our houses

good thing?

perhaps.

I think it's great for sailing. Personally, I was starting to worry about it becoming a bit of a time sink for me, but then someone (PBO) started paying me to do it (and then write about it), so I don't feel as guilty. Although, tbh they're not paying me anywhere near my day job rate, but it's something.

The column I've just filed is devoted to women skippers with vlogs, and it was surprising difficult to find channels by women without male co-skippers. Ditto vlogs by racing skippers (as distinct from race report content from race organisers). A rare combination of the two which I love is Clarisse sur l'Atlantique, but as I have found, if you are operating on a budget and also trying to be even vaguely competitive, then collecting and editing footage quickly goes to the bottom of your jobs list. 

I'm tempted to give it a try though (and full of regret about not having done so when I first considered it in 2013...it's been a very eventful six years). My first race of the season, a sprint from Cowes to the Nab Tower and back (35nm), is on Saturday and I've recruited an ambitious whippersnapper to be my co-skipper. I'm trying to convince her to start a channel as well, as I reckon she's going places. What do you think? Would you be interested in following a 19 year-old's quest to represent Great Britain in the new mixed offshore event at the 2024 Olympic Games?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, kass said:

What do you think? Would you be interested in following a 19 year-old's quest to represent Great Britain in the new mixed offshore event at the 2024 Olympic Games?

No but that's because I don't give a fuck about sailboat racing.

Just got back from a couple days drifting about the D'Entrecasteaux Channel. Lots of wildlife, fish, seals, not many boats and best of all, nobody with a camera glued to their forehead making movies of it all.

FKT

• Like 3

Your female racer would have to be psychologically tough enough to cope with reading sweary comments from old blokes 

Having said that if you hang on in here when the sensible Americans come home from work you will get some of the best forum prose anywhere on the web

many of the comments in this overlong thread are thoughtful nd beautifully written

there are some that are neither

but any sailor has to be able to cope the good and the not so good

Dylan

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kass said:

What do you think? Would you be interested in following a 19 year-old's quest to represent Great Britain in the new mixed offshore event at the 2024 Olympic Games?

If it was well written, factual and devoid of "manufactured drama," then yes.  If you're planning on publishing something with a cheap, reality TV vibe, I'll pass.

5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

If it was well written, factual and devoid of "manufactured drama," then yes.  If you're planning on publishing something with a cheap, reality TV vibe, I'll pass.

Just to be clear, I'm not the 19 year old, but rather a 50 year old, although I'm also considering starting a channel to document my (ongoing) mission to be the first American woman to complete the OSTAR (having retired from the last one after getting through the storm which claimed 4 boats in the event). I think neither of us will have time for manufactured drama, so no worries there. We do our pilot episode(s) this weekend and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

Your female racer would have to be psychologically tough enough to cope with reading sweary comments from old blokes

I think she's probably okay on that front, but if not I can coach her as I have years of experience.

1 hour ago, kass said:

Just to be clear, I'm not the 19 year old, but rather a 50 year old, although I'm also considering starting a channel to document my (ongoing) mission to be the first American woman to complete the OSTAR (having retired from the last one after getting through the storm which claimed 4 boats in the event). I think neither of us will have time for manufactured drama, so no worries there. We do our pilot episode(s) this weekend and see how it goes.

I apologize for the misuse of the "you" in my statement. I was just commenting on the general format. I lean more towards a documentary format rather than drama or embellishment.  I think that's one reason why I enjoy Dylan's videos so much. I might enjoy your story more in a written format as opposed to video but that's another discussion.

As a fellow American, I hope you do better than just completing the OSTAR, I hope you get onto the podium.

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I apologize for the misuse of the "you" in my statement. I was just commenting on the general format. I lean more towards a documentary format rather than drama or embellishment.  I think that's one reason why I enjoy Dylan's videos so much. I might enjoy your story more in a written format as opposed to video but that's another discussion.

Yeah, I reckon I'll prefer telling my story in written format as well, but that's going to have to wait until after the race. Don't worry, there'll be a book.

15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

As a fellow American, I hope you do better than just completing the OSTAR, I hope you get onto the podium.

Yeah, ideally I'd like to be the second American name on that board (and the first woman), but realistically I'm gonna need a bigger boat. 2024 maybe. I mean, Weld was, what, 66? I've got time...will just need to sell a lot of books.

Kass_OSTAR_winners_board.JPG

• Like 1

@kass  I'm a little behind on your story and just catching up so I apologize for all the questions.

Did you purchase your boat in the UK or Europe and you're fitting it out there, or is the boat in the US and you need to deliver the boat to Plymouth? If the boat is in the US,  what is your plan to get it to the other side?

You have about a year of prep time remaining. It'll probably fly by faster than you'd like. Are you excited?

If you have a website that chronicles all of this, I'd be happy to read it so as not to be a bother.

12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Did you purchase your boat in the UK or Europe and you're fitting it out there, or is the boat in the US and you need to deliver the boat to Plymouth? If the boat is in the US,  what is your plan to get it to the other side?

I live in the UK and have done for half my life now, but I reckon if my mum can still claim she's Scottish after having landed in NYC in 1950, then I'm okay saying I'm American. I bought the boat here and she is based in Cowes. Historically American competitors have struggled with the delivery to the start of the OSTAR. It will be even more difficult next year as the start will be two weeks earlier than usual. Richard Lett (British, but now lives in the States) will be sailing over after the Bermuda 1-2, doing the Fastnet, and then leaving his boat in the UK for the winter. Wise move.

12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You have about a year of prep time remaining. It'll probably fly by faster than you'd like. Are you excited?

If you have a website that chronicles all of this, I'd be happy to read it so as not to be a bother.

It's a strange mixture of excitement and dread. The last one was pretty full-on, but I learned a lot and have a pretty solid list of issues I need to sort over the coming season, which will include an Azores and Back Race and a Rolex Fastnet campaign (both double-handed).

My blog at sailingwithzest.me tells much of the story, but is a bit patchy.

In a nutshell: I bought the boat in January 2013 and embarked on an ambitious refit to make her easier to handle shorthanded. I considered starting a video blog at the time, and emailed Dylan for advice, but turns out the refit was more than enough to keep me busy. Didn't finish that in time, which in hindsight is just as well, as I wasn't really ready myself either. A couple of years, many miles and some silverware (AZAB, RWYC RB&I) later I signed up for the 2017 OSTAR feeling much more confident in myself and the boat. My other half and I decided to go kick back in the Caribbean for the winter of 2015/16, but only got as far as Finisterre before having our asses kicked by a rogue wave 150 miles off the coast of Spain (coincidentally about 30 miles from where Hugo Boss was rolled 2 weeks later). We rescued ourselves and the boat, and spent the next year rebuilding her, just in time for me to get another hiding in the 2017 OSTAR, which had the most severe conditions in the race's history. Last year I made a good start at rebuilding my confidence by doing the Solo Fastnet. That work continues.

Probably saved you an hour of reading with the previous paragraph. Have had more than my share of drama so far, honestly hoping there won't be any more! (yes, I realise that's unlikely)

Kass_with_torn_piece_of_deck.thumb.jpg.76a099227d014757fc25780ee825bbc6.jpg

FOR SALE: Portion of side deck and main bulkhead. Teak on gaboon ply accented with steel chainplates. Measures approx. 2x1m. Will make a conversation-starting coffee table.

• Like 1

An excellent summation.  Will you race under the US flag or the flag of your adopted country? (Doesn't matter, I'm just curious.)

You tried to take your boat to the Caribbean and that chunk of bulkhead is from Zest? If so, I greatly admire your tenacity and skill to make a repair of that magnitude, to say nothing of self-rescuing after taking damage of that kind. You've got more lives than a cat!

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I greatly admire your tenacity and skill to make a repair of that magnitude, to say nothing of self-rescuing after taking damage of that kind... 

Ditto

30 minutes ago, Ajax said:

An excellent summation.  Will you race under the US flag or the flag of your adopted country? (Doesn't matter, I'm just curious.)

Zest is a UK flagged vessel, but in the OSTAR it's the skipper's nationality that counts. I am now a dual US/UK national, but only acquired UK citizenship 10 years ago, so race as an American.

30 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You tried to take your boat to the Caribbean and that chunk of bulkhead is from Zest? If so, I greatly admire your tenacity and skill to make a repair of that magnitude, to say nothing of self-rescuing after taking damage of that kind. You've got more lives than a cat!

Thanks, I really hope so! We assembled a great team to do the really skilled stuff, but project managed it all and did the bits we could. My other half wrote a really detailed article about the repair in the June 2018 issue of PBO. Sadly that is not available online, although the articles about the incident and repainting the hull both are:

https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/36ft-zest-hit-14m-rogue-wave-dismasted-off-spain-77073

https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/paint-boat-like-new-60452

• Like 5

All I can muster is a WOW.  :o

These are the kind of events that make me nervous to cross oceans.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:12 AM, kadyca said:

They are a pretty young couple, so another part of it might be that Mexico just isn't exciting/social enough for them, as it seems like the majority of Mexico cruisers may be on the older/retired type? 

Everyone is definitely on the older side here. I can count on one hand the number of people I've met who are in their 40s, 30s or younger since I arrived here last autumn. Especially the La Paz area - almost all retirees there it seemed. Bandaras Bay seems a mite better with more young families.

Hopefully French Polynesia will have a bit of a younger crowd - I've liked everyone I've met but sometimes it's nice to be able to have a bit of a hangout with someone your own age, ya know?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, kass said:

Absolutely...and the Roths and the pardeys...distant shores was an early example of using film as the primary medium for documenting the sailing/cruising lifestyle?  Is that ok?

21 hours ago, kass said:

I think it's great for sailing. Personally, I was starting to worry about it becoming a bit of a time sink for me, but then someone (PBO) started paying me to do it (and then write about it), so I don't feel as guilty. Although, tbh they're not paying me anywhere near my day job rate, but it's something.

The column I've just filed is devoted to women skippers with vlogs, and it was surprising difficult to find channels by women without male co-skippers. Ditto vlogs by racing skippers (as distinct from race report content from race organisers). A rare combination of the two which I love is Clarisse sur l'Atlantique, but as I have found, if you are operating on a budget and also trying to be even vaguely competitive, then collecting and editing footage quickly goes to the bottom of your jobs list. 

I'm tempted to give it a try though (and full of regret about not having done so when I first considered it in 2013...it's been a very eventful six years). My first race of the season, a sprint from Cowes to the Nab Tower and back (35nm), is on Saturday and I've recruited an ambitious whippersnapper to be my co-skipper. I'm trying to convince her to start a channel as well, as I reckon she's going places. What do you think? Would you be interested in following a 19 year-old's quest to represent Great Britain in the new mixed offshore event at the 2024 Olympic Games?

Boo?

23 hours ago, kass said:

Looking forward to the videos Kass, nice to see you here. Thanks again for the PBO write up

Rhys

11 hours ago, alctel said:

Everyone is definitely on the older side here. I can count on one hand the number of people I've met who are in their 40s, 30s or younger since I arrived here last autumn. Especially the La Paz area - almost all retirees there it seemed. Bandaras Bay seems a mite better with more young families.

Hopefully French Polynesia will have a bit of a younger crowd - I've liked everyone I've met but sometimes it's nice to be able to have a bit of a hangout with someone your own age, ya know?

I share your sentiment. At 40, I was far and away the youngest person on the board of my sailing club and definitely one of the youngest in the entire membership.

I am very lucky that in my local sailing circle, the older people I hang out with are incredibly cool and knowledgeable.  I mean, laughing-your-ass-off-over-stories-and-shots-of-rum-into-the-wee-hours kind of cool. They sail hard, too. None of this "The wind is up a bit, what say we drive over to our destination instead of sailing?"

• Like 1

@kass  Ok, I read the article you linked, in depth.  God damn, I admire that kind of cool headed ability to think on one's feet.  You guys were amazing.

Even if someone had been on deck and saw the wave approaching, I don't think anything could have been done about it.

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

@kass  Ok, I read the article you linked, in depth.  God damn, I admire that kind of cool headed ability to think on one's feet.  You guys were amazing.

Even if someone had been on deck and saw the wave approaching, I don't think anything could have been done about it.

I cant even fathom that 60' wall of water coming at you .  Im pretty sure I would have lost my shite.

Kass - good job on saving the boat and yourselves. Far too many people panic and push the EPIRB button.

That's a very worrisome type of structural failure. You'd expect the rigging wire to break long before you tear a bulkhead apart and take the deck with it...

• Like 4

Interesting I am reading this now. Just watched a bbc video regarding schroeningers formula and how it relates to rogue waves. Linear versus non linear. Was very interesting.

3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I cant even fathom that 60' wall of water coming at you .  Im pretty sure I would have lost my shite.

World's biggest bidet incoming, clean that right up.... :o

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

here is a $10,000 film from la vag - the most successful sailing film makers the world has ever seen

Score one more for tiny boats. The fellow they interview talks about adding 10,000 to a repair bill. 

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/lacey-martin-30/6840429482.html

16 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Score one more for tiny boats. The fellow they interview talks about adding 10,000 to a repair bill. 

Nice boat!   Looks like there is an ad for her in SA Classies also.    Looks to be an old MORC maxi.

My first thought while looking at the pictures for the berths (very reduced size pix,) "Just the right size for the crew!"

MORC (Midget Ocean Racing Conference)

- Stumbling

On 4/6/2019 at 9:29 PM, dylan winter said:

this bloke talks a lot but sails in tough places

I watched quite a few of these. The single handed docking tips were excellent. Really enjoyable videos. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Plus with a SEVEN FOOT draft you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that beach in the first place!  Also no waterline level hatches on an old monohull...

Can't believe they are getting around $10k a video for nonsense videos like that.

19 minutes ago, nlmasopust said:

Plus with a SEVEN FOOT draft you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that beach in the first place!  Also no waterline level hatches on an old monohull...

Can't believe they are getting around $10k a video for nonsense videos like that.

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

https://graphtreon.com/creator/LaVagabonde

my income from films is, of course, a tad better

Dylan

24 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

https://graphtreon.com/creator/LaVagabonde

my income from films is, of course, a tad better

Dylan

Can't tell if serious....

But I sure wish that you are.  Your videos are infinitely more interesting to watch.

Thanks for the graphtreon link, very interesting.

I looked up Leo's as well, suspect Vag is doing better, but maybe not by too much.  Should be the other way around, but at least he's doing very well as he very much deserves it.

2 hours ago, nlmasopust said:

Can't tell if serious....

But I sure wish that you are.  Your videos are infinitely more interesting to watch.

I was embarrassed about the amount of money each film was earning so I sold the boat to a very nice man in scotland.

fortuntaely La vag say they are going to make some films in scotland so I will leave them to pick up where I left off

Dylan

• Like 2

Dylan,

It looks like you're just guessing how much they earn per episode. Patreon doesn't show it and the Graphtreon's best guess says "Best Guess: $4K - $23K".  That's a pretty big range.

Do you have any inside info?

* Graphtreon's Best Guess for unknown earnings is based on a creator's number of patrons, and the earnings of similar creators that do publish earnings information.

More specifically: it's calculated by taking the average earnings per patron in the same category, adding/subtracting the standard deviation from that average to get both extremes, and multiplying by the number of patrons. These estimated earnings are calculated solely by Graphtreon. No actual earnings data for such creators is provided or endorsed by Patreon.

7 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Dylan,

It looks like you're just guessing how much they earn per episode. Patreon doesn't show it and the Graphtreon's best guess says "Best Guess: $4K - $23K".  That's a pretty big range.

Do you have any inside info?

* Graphtreon's Best Guess for unknown earnings is based on a creator's number of patrons, and the earnings of similar creators that do publish earnings information.

More specifically: it's calculated by taking the average earnings per patron in the same category, adding/subtracting the standard deviation from that average to get both extremes, and multiplying by the number of patrons. These estimated earnings are calculated solely by Graphtreon. No actual earnings data for such creators is provided or endorsed by Patreon.

2,500 patreons

minimum chip in  $5

Dylan

Whoa. Now I see why you're jealous. Brian (Delos) told me not all their Patreon subscribers pay for every video and they were not making quite as much as you'd think (but still a substantial amount)

10 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Nice boat!   Looks like there is an ad for her in SA Classies also.    Looks to be an old MORC maxi.

My first thought while looking at the pictures for the berths (very reduced size pix,) "Just the right size for the crew!"

MORC (Midget Ocean Racing Conference)

- Stumbling

Kind of looks like it could have been an old MORC-Maxi and is the right vintage (1982 or so), but it is not.  Not built to any rule.  Just a PHRF light air machine.  Enormous rig on her.  Low freeboard and only 9.5 ft beam.  Cool boat, but realize it is a woody and not everyone is into that.

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I was embarrassed about the amount of money each film was earning so I sold the boat to a very nice man in scotland.

fortuntaely La vag say they are going to make some films in scotland so I will leave them to pick up where I left off

Dylan

Who’s doing the music? Too bad Richard Thompson has yet to make sailing song.

22 hours ago, Zonker said:

Whoa. Now I see why you're jealous. Brian (Delos) told me not all their Patreon subscribers pay for every video and they were not making quite as much as you'd think (but still a substantial amount)

La Vag work bloody hard churning out a film each week - I am assuming that their bandwwidth costs are massive and I assume tyhat they have a shore-based editor somewhere - theur sound mixes are exccellent

Delos are top notch too

As an eldlerly film maker I have to accept that their films are 40 times better than mine

Dylsn

44 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

As an eldlerly film maker I have to accept that their films are 40 times better than mine

Bollocks. I can't stomach more than a couple of minutes of La Vag and I have gone off Delos since they arrived in the Carribean. I always watch your films beginning to end, sometimes twice. Yours are actual films, not some video personal diary to suck in vicarious tit-seekers. However, you should get the spelling of your name down pat, Dylsn.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Cwinsor said:

^^^ Ditto. Quality will always win out in the end.

well it has ended for the forseeable future

I have not turned a frame on the project since jan 2017 when I sold the boat in a bit of a hurry in Glasgow

the market created and controlled by google/youboob  and its algorithms determines what sinks and what floats when it comes to sailing films

here is a nice playlist I called Boob Based Boat Blogs  - I put one of my films in it with a custom made thumbnail in it designed to attract the google algorithim - it is my best hitting film over the past month

the only exception is Leo

Dylan

1 hour ago, Zora said:

Acorn to Arabella aren't far behind Leo either. 

https://www.patreon.com/acorntoarabella

800 patreons earning $4,500 per film/week

https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco

1800 patreons earning him $9,000 per week

Tits still blow old timbers out  of the water

so does anyone on here chip in towards either of these two wonderful projects

and

are you paying for the entertainment or for the wood?

Dylan

I’m a patron of the Irish fella with the blue steel boat. The other two are doing well enough. Although Leo’s videos are the most instructive. Not that I would ever take on a project of that size and scope. Oh and one other nice chap.

Jim

4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

and

Dylan

I contributed to Leo twice via PayPal in the early days before he'd setup a Patreon. Early enough that he couldn't even accept USD, just GBP. Now that he's rolling with good support, there's no need for my ongoing financial support. 

I contribute to Leo for each video.  Almost since the getgo.  He's the only one so far for me.  I might start with Acorn to Arabella once they get to expensive stuff in their build...  I was born within an hour's drive of them.   I like Leo's vids best though.  He is a good videographer and editor.  And I dig his choice in soundtracks as well.

Paying for the wood of course :)

13 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

Before Patreon took down the amount creators make La Vag and Delos were both around $7k-$8k per video iirc.  Keep in mind that $5 minimum patreon is only the minimum.

Patreon hides what their creators earn? That's dirty.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

and

Dylan

Maybe it is their tits that are 40 times better than yours.

Not that you don't have lovely tits of course.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dylan winter said:

No because they're only mildly interesting. But it's a case of BTDTGTTS for me.

6 of my friends have built their own boats, all over 10m LOD. I watch some of those vlogs to see how they do stuff. In one case I offer back channel advice and provide pix when asked of how I've done stuff, I'm not interested in making public comments. It's their show.

I tried watching a Delos vid once. Just not my cup of cafe. All that idiotic enthusiasm, reminded me of people trying to party too hard to prove they were having fun. Couldn't even stomach sitting through a single La Vag vid. Boring, ignorant, vacuous people. No wonder they're so successful in this century.

FKT

• Like 2
On 4/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Zonker said:

Dylan,

It looks like you're just guessing how much they earn per episode. Patreon doesn't show it and the Graphtreon's best guess says "Best Guess: $4K - $23K".  That's a pretty big range. ...These estimated earnings are calculated solely by Graphtreon. No actual earnings data for such creators is provided or endorsed by Patreon.

It's a part of Patreon culture (and exacerbated by those in this thread who dislike people 'begging' for money) which I hate. I LOVE the option for fans of art (and filmmaking certainly qualifies) to 'patronize' that art directly. The part I don't like is the embarrassment of the creators to earn too much money, and at some point hide their total earnings. The motive is to not seem greedy, or to live better than the people contributing, or some other nonsense. I don't get it. Musicians aren't embarrassed by earning a lot of money (in fact one could argue the whole industry is dependent on projecting images of profligate spending and vulgar displays of status). Why should independent artists? The culture needs to change or at least up the scale at LEAST an order of magnitude. I think artists living off the long tail of their fan's support shouldn't consider getting shy until their income matches, let's say, some NFL scrub you've never heard of and never seen play who's making north of four hundred grand a year (league minimum). Setting up a comfortable retirement should be an open goal. Fans should take pride in how well their artists are doing. Competing directly with the horror of huge entertainment conglomerations should be a source of pride for all. 

I understand the thinking in making your income hidden, but I still disagree with it. The Vaga kid is going to need to pay for college, after all... (I've got about a dozen artists I support on Patreon, and give the Vaga channel $1/video. It's all about the long tail, and getting a higher percentage of fans to kick in small amounts). Anyway, that's my argument about culture needing to get into patronizing more aggressively...

On 4/10/2019 at 7:40 AM, Ajax said:

Patreon hides what their creators earn? That's dirty.

Well, the creators decide whether to show their earnings or not, but Patreon does hide the percentage of donations they take as fees. The thing to understand is the big banking corporations that are few in number and not that competitive but have a lock on transactions, primarily Visa. They hide the fees they charge and make anyone who wants to use their services sign confidentiality agreements to keep them confidential. Even if Patreon wanted to reveal how much of your dollar makes it to the artist, they couldn't. This actually caused a huge shitstorm about a year ago when they tried to jigger their formula to add fees to donations instead of subtracting them (which would have given the artist more on the receiving end but cost the patreon more on the donating end), but they didn't explain themselves well, and were gagged by the Visa confidentiality agreement, and so couldn't even explain why they were gagged and unable to explain the fees.

It really sucks, and even Paypal doesn't tell you how much they skim when you donate to an artist directly. It's a huge sucking vacuum in the financial world, and hopefully some clever startup will come along with a transparent and competitive fee structure, but getting the banking license (both Federal and for each individual state) is a locked down world where the industry owns the regulators and you'd have to sue openly in court for decades to get anything close to cracking that market into a non-crony, level playing field. It blows all the goats.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, dcnblues said:

It's a part of Patreon culture (and exacerbated by those in this thread who dislike people 'begging' for money) which I hate. I LOVE the option for fans of art (and filmmaking certainly qualifies) to 'patronize' that art directly. The part I don't like is the embarrassment of the creators to earn too much money, and at some point hide their total earnings. The motive is to not seem greedy, or to live better than the people contributing, or some other nonsense. I don't get it. Musicians aren't embarrassed by earning a lot of money (in fact one could argue the whole industry is dependent on projecting images of profligate spending and vulgar displays of status). Why should independent artists? The culture needs to change or at least up the scale at LEAST an order of magnitude. I think artists living off the long tail of their fan's support shouldn't consider getting shy until their income matches, let's say, some NFL scrub you've never heard of and never seen play who's making north of four hundred grand a year (league minimum). Setting up a comfortable retirement should be an open goal. Fans should take pride in how well their artists are doing. Competing directly with the horror of huge entertainment conglomerations should be a source of pride for all. 

I understand the thinking in making your income hidden, but I still disagree with it. The Vaga kid is going to need to pay for college, after all... (I've got about a dozen artists I support on Patreon, and give the Vaga channel $1/video. It's all about the long tail, and getting a higher percentage of fans to kick in small amounts). Anyway, that's my argument about culture needing to get into patronizing more aggressively...

Well, the creators decide whether to show their earnings or not, but Patreon does hide the percentage of donations they take as fees. The thing to understand is the big banking corporations that are few in number and not that competitive but have a lock on transactions, primarily Visa. They hide the fees they charge and make anyone who wants to use their services sign confidentiality agreements to keep them confidential. Even if Patreon wanted to reveal how much of your dollar makes it to the artist, they couldn't. This actually caused a huge shitstorm about a year ago when they tried to jigger their formula to add fees to donations instead of subtracting them (which would have given the artist more on the receiving end but cost the patreon more on the donating end), but they didn't explain themselves well, and were gagged by the Visa confidentiality agreement, and so couldn't even explain why they were gagged and unable to explain the fees.

It really sucks, and even Paypal doesn't tell you how much they skim when you donate to an artist directly. It's a huge sucking vacuum in the financial world, and hopefully some clever startup will come along with a transparent and competitive fee structure, but getting the banking license (both Federal and for each individual state) is a locked down world where the industry owns the regulators and you'd have to sue openly in court for decades to get anything close to cracking that market into a non-crony, level playing field. It blows all the goats.

Not just the pretty one?

On 4/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

...Couldn't even stomach sitting through a single La Vag vid. Boring, ignorant, vacuous people. No wonder they're so successful in this century.

You've actually hit on the great unspoken truth in the billion dollar entertainment industry. You'll never hear a producer or director talk about this in any interview, but I think there's an ironclad policy in place on just about ANY entertainment project funded by Hollywood, and it's this: you always have to give the audience people they can feel superior to. This flows from the woman backing into the dark room in the horror movie to the idiot character in the sitcom (and of course someone turboed the concept with the idea of an ensemble where ALL the characters take turns being idiots and you end up with the gigantic hit Friends). Always, always, always there are idiots who know less than the viewer. Always there are producers making sure the idiot audience has some loser who can buck up their self-esteem. But nobody EVER talks openly about this rule. I still can't sit through Jurassic Park (the first one) because of the steady stream of idiocy you have to watch, but it requires a fine touch. Spielberg did it well there, and made a ton of money. Ridley Scott did it terribly in Prometheus, and it tanked.

One can really measure good movies and television by the absence of idiotic characters. It's actually quite an efficient filter. And you see that dynamic playing out in this discussion of sailing videos. So let me put in my vote for great tits on a woman who's smarter than me and a far better sailor than I am. (There are a ton of female fighter pilots out there. Let's give one of them a go pro and a fast boat when they retire and let her sail the world.) I'd watch the shit out of that...

27 minutes ago, dcnblues said:

You've actually hit on the great unspoken truth in the billion dollar entertainment industry. You'll never hear a producer or director talk about this in any interview, but I think there's an ironclad policy in place on just about ANY entertainment project funded by Hollywood, and it's this: you always have to give the audience people they can feel superior to. This flows from the woman backing into the dark room in the horror movie to the idiot character in the sitcom (and of course someone turboed the concept with the idea of an ensemble where ALL the characters take turns being idiots and you end up with the gigantic hit Friends). Always, always, always there are idiots who know less than the viewer. Always there are producers making sure the idiot audience has some loser who can buck up their self-esteem. But nobody EVER talks openly about this rule. I still can't sit through Jurassic Park (the first one) because of the steady stream of idiocy you have to watch, but it requires a fine touch. Spielberg did it well there, and made a ton of money. Ridley Scott did it terribly in Prometheus, and it tanked.

One can really measure good movies and television by the absence of idiotic characters. It's actually quite an efficient filter. And you see that dynamic playing out in this discussion of sailing videos. So let me put in my vote for great tits on a woman who's smarter than me and a far better sailor than I am. (There are a ton of female fighter pilots out there. Let's give one of them a go pro and a fast boat when they retire and let her sail the world.) I'd watch the shit out of that...

You have probably captured one of the major reasons I don't own a TV set.....

If I want to insult my intelligence there are endless ways on the internet to manage it and not get subjected to ads at the same time - though YouTube is getting there. Must investigate further ad-blocking.....

As for Patreon I recognise the validity of your viewpoint but frankly fail to see value for money in the vast array of offerings out there. So you want to swan about in a sailboat and make vlogs. Fine, have at it, just don't expect me to fund your hobby. I can't think of more than a couple I'd miss if they switched to van life or some other activity, though, and even those I wouldn't miss for long. Unless you buy into the soap opera side of it there gets to be a terrible sameness about a lot of it. Especially those hanging about in the Caribbean following each other from bar to bar.

FKT