Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

I dunno, maybe it's a cultural thing and I'm wrong to look at it through a Puritanical, U.S. lens.

Or, maybe it's exactly what it looks like- a creepy older guy lured a bimbo from another country over to cruise on his boat with the promise of a lot of cash and publicity exposure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

I found his video for Season 1, Episode 1 interesting.   He talks all about his background.   Norway looks like an amazing place.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

He seems to get a boat load of hot chicks to go sailing with him.  He must be hung like harry the horse.

Or very wealthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Or very wealthy. 

I thought that too but he was a line cook for a cruise ship making basic wages and saved up for a boat.   I'm pretty sure he was shoestring before patreon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It turns out, he scoops these chicks from a site called:  crewbay (https://www.crewbay.com/).  He puts an ad on there, and answers ads on there and these girls hook up with him through that site.  They are looking for free rides on a sailboat going places, and he is offering that experience for them.  He pays for the food and and other expenses and they help sail the boat.   lol.  And he gets eye candy for his youtube channel.  I dont think he is getting any sexy sexy time with these chicks.  They are all about 20 years younger than him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nice. I appreciated the belaying pin exercise as I had to make 20 of them for my boat (a few spares, needed 16). I used my big metal lathe and a template to get the handles all the same, and glued in lengths of stainless tubing for the pin part. 

Might have to watch more of these guys.

FKT

I will be watching them.  The cruise across the Pacific was great watching.  Good to see them back.  They are the first youtubers I have been able to watch for more than three or four episodes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

It turns out, he scoops these chicks from a site called:  crewbay (https://www.crewbay.com/).  He puts an ad on there, and answers ads on there and these girls hook up with him through that site.  They are looking for free rides on a sailboat going places, and he is offering that experience for them.  He pays for the food and and other expenses and they help sail the boat.   lol.  And he gets eye candy for his youtube channel.  I dont think he is getting any sexy sexy time with these chicks.  They are all about 20 years younger than him.

That all makes sense. But that looks like at least partly a hookup site to me.  "Patricia from Poland, warm and open, etc etc."  I'm all for videos with healthy, happy chicks in the scenes as clickbait, but don't want to support anything that is based on exploitation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

what do you think chaps

 

Christian is awesome!  I love his channel.  Such a great narrator.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The Geordie, The Witch and The Wench...

She jumped ship as bemoaned here:

Banking on continued interest without her.

Doubtful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

On the theme of debauchery, is it my imagination or are the delos team more open about their smoking weed? Seems a bit reckless to advertise. 

Recursive cause and effect.   Smoke more, get more sloppy, show more smoking, etc.

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was the time that they were demonstrating how they were circumventing a customs seal.  But then, AFAIK, all their videos are months in the past.  Maybe it depends on whether you intend to ever return to that place.  Keep moving forward...

I'm sure the whole "Hold My Beer" genre contains evidence of all sorts of malfeasance that no cop on earth is bored enough to comb through.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 2:44 AM, dylan winter said:

too much vacuous windy yacking and not enough sailing perhaps?

I had hopes.... but she is schlepping around the same spots all the others have bern filming

I see pig feeding in her future

 

I think she bypassed the pig feeding area staying offshore from North Carolina to parts south.  Hey, have to start a RTW voyage someplace!

Link to post
Share on other sites

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

 

Dylan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

 

Dylan

 

The opening 5 second visual staccato,  was enough to turn that OFF. Next,... :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

 

Dylan

 

If I was the marina owner I'd toss them out permanently and ban them for life. Cutting & grinding steel around plastic or timber boats with expensive paint jobs is a very unfriendly and inconsiderate thing to do - the metal particles travel quite a way on the wind and the next time it rains or just gets damp, you have lovely orange speckles all over your paintwork. And I *own* a steel boat. Got a few of those stains on my paintwork, but at least I know who to blame for it.

Also the way they're using angle grinders without safety guards and in bare feet no less - they're a collection of accidents waiting to happen. I nearly cut a tendon on my hand with one of those thin cutoff discs, and the guard was on, and I was wearing gloves.

As for building your own petrol tank, good luck with that idea. Hope they've got really, really good gas sniffers fitted, plus a plan to safely empty that tank in the event of a leak. And that they actually had the thing designed by a competent person.

But, judging from the half I watched before the cringe factor overcame me - I doubt it.

One thing I can say for sure - I wouldn't want them *anywhere* near me. Especially if they have that tank filled......

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If I was the marina owner I'd toss them out permanently and ban them for life. Cutting & grinding steel around plastic or timber boats with expensive paint jobs is a very unfriendly and inconsiderate thing to do - the metal particles travel quite a way on the wind and the next time it rains or just gets damp, you have lovely orange speckles all over your paintwork. And I *own* a steel boat. Got a few of those stains on my paintwork, but at least I know who to blame for it.

Also the way they're using angle grinders without safety guards and in bare feet no less - they're a collection of accidents waiting to happen. I nearly cut a tendon on my hand with one of those thin cutoff discs, and the guard was on, and I was wearing gloves.

As for building your own petrol tank, good luck with that idea. Hope they've got really, really good gas sniffers fitted, plus a plan to safely empty that tank in the event of a leak. And that they actually had the thing designed by a competent person.

But, judging from the half I watched before the cringe factor overcame me - I doubt it.

One thing I can say for sure - I wouldn't want them *anywhere* near me. Especially if they have that tank filled......

FKT

$500 says they have a pinhole leak in a weld seam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

Watching that, I could hear my grandmother's voice back in the late 60s..."Ye Gods!  Look at those dirty hippies. The first thing they need to do is wash their hair."

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dylan winter said:

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

 

Dylan

 

The only person who stands out for me in the vid (I was only able to get through the first few mins, just to get the gist of the “story”) was the French girl from Brittany starting at around 20:00 in.  (I FFW’D through the rest.) The rest of them, not so interesting —all that navel-gazing “look at me,  we’re cool” energy.

I mean, if you’re going to watch a vid with white guys in dreadlocks fixing old boats, you can do no better than the classic one by Moxie Marlinspike, entitled “Holdfast”, about their aptly named sailboat Pestilence!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

but they are people of energy and enthusiasm

good for them

bad for the peace and quiet us old farts relish

D

Totally agree - love their youthful/useful energy.  Undoubtedly, I would have had (and most of us too would too) much the same “look at me, look what I’m doing!!!” vibe at that age.  I just meant that their film itself ain’t that gripping - the usual fate of amateur filmmakers.  Except your films, Dylan - you know how to tell a good story!  

Definitely - good on them for taking on such a huge project.  I suspect that if I was 20 or 22 watching that, I’d be totally impressed and inspired.  It is good to see young fools out there just going for it, making it happen, undaunted by old farts in marinas complaining!  :-). But there’s a limit at grinding and big metal work in a marina...yikes!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On this topic, getting out there on shabby boats [?], here’s a really fascinating character.  Wow! Classic programmer...devil-may-care aesthetics...I’m quite sure he’d really ruffle a few old farts’ feathers here (and not by his grinding) :-) :-)

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra

Amd if you’re looking to cruise the world on the cheap, start here: Squattheplanet’s boat punk sailing forum, home of REAL anarchists :-) :-)

https://squattheplanet.com/boat-punk-sailing/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will echo that

 

have a look at this beautifully  written prose on an astonishing seaman

Sean has the look of a castaway. Trim frame. Slightly sunburned appearance. Blond hair and beard sun-bleached, and at a length suggesting several months at sea. He greets us from a cockpit cluttered with wires, bits of solar powered lights, and pressure cooker.

In the cockpit, amid all the clutter, a line runs through a block on the starboard side, loops around the tiller, and takes several turns around a pvc pipe before closing the circle back at the block. The pipe is endcapped by a plastic bottle enclosing a small motor. But this motor isn’t for propulsion, it’s for steering. Sean explained the setup: it was an autopilot he had built using a windshield wiper motor, gyroscope, television remote, and a Raspberry Pi – a palm sized computer costing less than $40. He has spent the last several months coding and testing the software that runs the autopilot.

 

 

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dylan winter said:

they decide to build a 600 litre home built gas tank on a boat.....

needed to power the "big ass ride" to get to the diving grounds and the compressor needed to fill all the dive tanks

to build the tank  they planned to start grinding stuff on a dock.....

they were told to  go off and grind elsewhere

so they went away, did some grinding, then came back and started grinding again

- at night in a marina

If I was the marina owner....I am not sure I would welcome them

- while the money from a 70 footer would be nice....dealing with the noise and complaints and rust spots might make it not worth the candle.

These people are going to be noisy neighbours wherever they wash up

I assume that they are also applying a fair amount of pressure on the bogs and showers.

while the film is more interesting than Mads and his never ending, astonishingly anal, fettle....

it is less interesting and worthy than Leo and his never endlng hardwood chomping re-build

I am not sure "Drenched" is going to make money.

It is a bit like watching big brother but first having to watch a badly filmed series about the set being built...

 

Dylan

 

Hey, don't knock the dock work.  We pulled our 42 year old teak decks and re-cored 80% of the fore and side decks in a marina slip.  Then, relaid the glass skins with epoxy, filled and faired, sanded the shit out of it, filled and faired some more, sanded some more, and then sprayed new 2-part polyurethane with rolled on non-skid.  We had permission to do so from the Marina Manager, but more importantly, we had the blessing of our downwind neighbor in the next slip.  We hung tarps as lee cloth and vacuum-sanded everything with HEPA filters.  We only then sprayed the paint on a zero-wind day, and no one was the wiser.

The problem with people who have already fixed their boat is that they don't want anyone else nearby to fix their boat.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:  What's the definition of an Environmentalist?

Someone who already HAS a cabin in the woods...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mad said:

$500 says they have a pinhole leak in a weld seam.

And that they don't pressure-test the tank before filling it.....

I had a pinhole leak in one of my diesel tanks but I found it by putting the tank under 2.5m of head and filled with water. Had to grind and re-weld that bit. This on a tank I was building for myself and paying close attention to the seams.

These people don't seem to even know what they should be doing. Re-welding a pinhole leak in a volatile fuel tank is really, really dangerous once that tank has been filled with fuel.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So after a month and a few days from Costa Rica to Hawaii, these guys went "Full Rimas" and got towed into Honolulu. Blown heat exchanger and no wind.

I'm actually willing to bet they could've sailed her in if there was a breeze.

Hey man, at least they had the foresight to purchase Boat U.S. and not rely on the taxpayer funded USCG....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

Hey, don't knock the dock work.  We pulled our 42 year old teak decks and re-cored 80% of the fore and side decks in a marina slip.  Then, relaid the glass skins with epoxy, filled and faired, sanded the shit out of it, filled and faired some more, sanded some more, and then sprayed new 2-part polyurethane with rolled on non-skid.  We had permission to do so from the Marina Manager, but more importantly, we had the blessing of our downwind neighbor in the next slip.  We hung tarps as lee cloth and vacuum-sanded everything with HEPA filters.  We only then sprayed the paint on a zero-wind day, and no one was the wiser.

The problem with people who have already fixed their boat is that they don't want anyone else nearby to fix their boat.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:  What's the definition of an Environmentalist?

Someone who already HAS a cabin in the woods...

That's all very well and good, but paint & f/g dust are inert and just sluice off in the next rain downpour. The only sketchy thing you did WRT OPB's is the painting, and you took good precautions.

Grinding steel is a totally different thing. The particles *will* lie in places because they're a lot heavier, they can and will stick to painted surfaces, and they *will* rust leaving orange speckles everywhere. I'd never do this sort of work amongst other peoples' boats in a marina. Even on the hard you need to rig drop sheets to contain the dust.

These guys get a pass - once - out of ignorance. Doing that sort of thing again just shows they don't give a shit about others. And this coming from a person who considers his paint job 'workboat' standard and isn't particularly precious about it - it's there to protect the steel from rusting, all else is vanity.

FKT

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done welding work on the marina and a bit of grinding with permission over the winter when i was one of the only boats here. My decks are covered in orange specks but they're being repainted anyway over the summer. But if there was a boat anywhere near me, i'd not do it. It's damn destructive. That's a big boat they have, i wonder what her plating is like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 12:12 PM, dylan winter said:

it was more interesting/alarming as it went along

cutting noises to make music is a tough thing to do

 

This made me happy.... thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 2:06 PM, dylan winter said:

Sean has the look of a castaway. Trim frame. Slightly sunburned appearance. Blond hair and beard sun-bleached, and at a length suggesting several months at sea. He greets us from a cockpit cluttered with wires, bits of solar powered lights, and pressure cooker.

Hey - we met Sean in Richards Bay, S.Africa. His boat was a total mess but he's a nice fellow. He helped write OpenCPN so lots of gratitude to him. I gave him *something* to help him out but damned if I can recall what. He has an interesting personality. Maybe a bit of Aspergers, but does sail everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The kids on the 70' boat put on a dive compressor that will fill a 80 cubic ft. bottle on a cool morning in about 22-25 minutes. See how long they like it when they are filling bottles for the crew. Them compressors are noisy suckers if powered by a cheap Honda motor as so many are. If electric, all good.

The 600 L of gas in the stern scares the shit out of me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, dylan winter said:

 

 

This is one of the funniest things I have seen, not for the content, but I've met one of the people on board. She was not wearing shoes but was wearing a light grey beanie, out in the bush, at the West Australian equivalent of a 1970's Grateful Dead Concert but instead with Psychedelic Trance music which lasts for a couple of days. Must have been like a year ago.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

The kids on the 70' boat put on a dive compressor that will fill a 80 cubic ft. bottle on a cool morning in about 22-25 minutes. See how long they like it when they are filling bottles for the crew. Them compressors are noisy suckers if powered by a cheap Honda motor as so many are. If electric, all good.

The 600 L of gas in the stern scares the shit out of me.

Man I hope to god they just build an enclosure for a tank, don't seal it, and coat it in foam rubber and just get a bladder made for the fuel. If not, good fucking luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I wonder if these people are paying for their trip on the 70 footer

there is a lot of money slopping around this project

victualling for 14 is tough

as for doing the washing up or laundry  for 14 would be a challenge

 

D

Depends how the boat is set up I guess. Friend of mine has an ex-Navy sail training vessel, 60+ feet, 43 tonnes, 5 tonnes of water, 3 tonnes of fuel. It was set up for a crew of 18. He's ripped out about half the bunks now but the galley has plenty of room for the duty cook and the scullions on cleanup.

It also had a washing machine and drier along with 3 generating sets.

Glad I'm never going to be the one paying for the fuel. Or the stores.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I wonder if these people are paying for their trip on the 70 footer

there is a lot of money slopping around this project

victualling for 14 is tough

as for doing the washing up or laundry  for 14 would be a challenge

 

D

Those hippies are notoriously trash with money.

But it wouldn't surprised me if there were some wealthy parents who are footing some bills for a few of them.

They would have to be paying for the trip somehow... I can't see any one of them having the money individually for what they've shown themselves planning...

Also, you forget hippies are notoriously filthy, I would think that they are hardly bringing any clothes, and that they keep them on for a while... So laundry will be a no-brain-er. As for the washing up, they are a communal people, and I would expect minimal dishes but them to work together to clean them.

Also that boat was sold for around $250k NZD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hippies is a very old word laden with meaning.

They are just travellers. They are well funded and weell organised

but

Too many people on one boat for my liking.  I have done a couple of 500 milers on my 26 fotter with two other blokes. I enjoyed the experience and the night time chats in the cockpit  but I was pleased to get a chance for some personal space and quiet when the old blokes got on the bus to go home and left me to tidy up.

14 people on one boat

and a home made gas tank

not my cup of  tea

butgoodonem

Dylan

PS -  they love  diving - half an hour to fill each air tank. I have shared harbours in sccotland  with dive boats and their relentless compressors....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Troglodytarum said:

ALERT!!! BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!!!

Delos is pregnant.

Details at eleven.*

* unless you're one of our Patreons, in which case we'll give you the details via exclusive pre-release at 10.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

here is one for the thumbnail archive

ticks most of the boxes

implied peril, boat gear, chick in tight clothes, some grinding

 

other top notch thumbnails from same place

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSpPCvsStba64VTs-dy2sRw

 

and for you moaning minis who feel excluded because you are not patreonistas even their patreon page has an age warning

you are over 18 I take it

https://www.patreon.com/Goodbadandugly

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dylan winter said:

here is one for the thumbnail archive

ticks most of the boxes

implied peril, boat gear, chick in tight clothes, some grinding

 

other top notch thumbnails from same place

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSpPCvsStba64VTs-dy2sRw

 

and for you moaning minis who feel excluded because you are not patreonistas even their patreon page has an age warning

you are over 18 I take it

https://www.patreon.com/Goodbadandugly

Great Thumbnails but what a contrived Betotch!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Great Thumbnails but what a contrived Betotch!

Yeah of course, but what is not contrived on these things.  Hang on... do that again the light was just not right.  Oh shit, I'l have to take it from the other side, the harbour is in view.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

 I hope for him at least the sex was good...

She fucked him good. Does it count?

 

The sheer amount of creepiness in that beard alone is fascinating. It's the only reason I can think of to explain why she actually stayed and did the shores for a few days before coming back to her senses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure she knew exactly what she was getting herself into.

Best case a sailing holiday and some youtube exposure, and at the very least a free ticket to Europe. 

All for at most a couple of fucks...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes she was. I just thought there was no reason for her to stay longer than what it takes to say "hiya, thanks for the lift, where are the taxis, bye". Yet she did. The beard hypnotized her, I'd say.
 

And I very much doubt he got to touch anything during her stay, hilmelf aside.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Israel Hands said:

 

 

This is the best video ever!!   Creepy dude appears to bare soul, and come off as a normal guy (although one could argue that most guys aren't quasi-whoremongers like him). At 4:00..."Jesus Fucking Christ, I don't want this!"  He actually fell for the chick.  She hypnotized the Beard!

If I were a video whiz, I'd dub Anybody Seen My Baby in the soundtrack, as she polished the stove and zipped away on a Vespa....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 8:24 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The only person who stands out for me in the vid (I was only able to get through the first few mins, just to get the gist of the “story”) was the French girl from Brittany starting at around 20:00 in.  (I FFW’D through the rest.) The rest of them, not so interesting —all that navel-gazing “look at me,  we’re cool” energy.

I mean, if you’re going to watch a vid with white guys in dreadlocks fixing old boats, you can do no better than the classic one by Moxie Marlinspike, entitled “Holdfast”, about their aptly named sailboat Pestilence!

 

I have wtcched this film before

they went "scavenging" for boat gear - they went theiving

they squatted on a neighbours boat without permission

scumbags

D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I have wtcched this film before

they went "scavenging" for boat gear - they went theiving

they squatted on a neighbours boat without permission

scumbags

D

One dull winter day, I delved into that guy's on-line persona.  In some blog, he pretty much says that he got his (previous to Pestilence?) boat by picking out an apparent unused zombie in a marina someplace and just... taking it.     

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have to admit it doesn't make sense. On the outside that boat looks like no one has been near it for a very, very, very long time. The insides are a bit cluttered with stuff but it is in no way a disaster. They'll probably be finished their refit before Mads too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toddster said:

One dull winter day, I delved into that guy's on-line persona.  In some blog, he pretty much says that he got his (previous to Pestilence?) boat by picking out an apparent unused zombie in a marina someplace and just... taking it.     

I've pointed this out on this site before, but ... 'Moxie Marlinspike' could be a multibillionaire tooling around the Med in his other Wally 100  if he gave half a shit. Might not agree with his particular brand of techno-anarchism, tho it's hardly rare in those circles. What is rare is his comprehensive grasp of peer-to-peer security software. Hippy dude on the crappy sailboat was chief security guru at Twitter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

I've pointed this out on this site before, but ... 'Moxie Marlinspike' could be a multibillionaire tooling around the Med in his other Wally 100  if he gave half a shit. Might not agree with his particular brand of techno-anarchism, tho it's hardly rare in those circles. What is rare is his comprehensive grasp of peer-to-peer security software. Hippy dude on the crappy sailboat was chief security guru at Twitter.

then he should have had enough cash to not go around nicking stuff at night

I had two really good outboards "scavenged" at night

not best pleased

Dylan

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

fekkin creepy pictures to put on the wall of a boat - at 9.10 in

Exactly!  Several things about this guy, taken individually, don't really mean anything

-apparent repetitive trolling for young female crew to accompany him on his vlog travels

-his creepy beard

-female nude artwork in his 'bachelor pad' boat

But taken together, they spell C-R-E-E-P.   Another guy behaving badly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Exactly!  Several things about this guy, taken individually, don't really mean anything

-apparent repetitive trolling for young female crew to accompany him on his vlog travels

-his creepy beard

-female nude artwork in his 'bachelor pad' boat

But taken together, they spell C-R-E-E-P.   Another guy behaving badly.

and some of it on youtube - and even more if you become a patron

D

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Exactly!  Several things about this guy, taken individually, don't really mean anything

-apparent repetitive trolling for young female crew to accompany him on his vlog travels

-his creepy beard

-female nude artwork in his 'bachelor pad' boat

But taken together, they spell C-R-E-E-P.   Another guy behaving badly.

Zap Brannigan is his role model:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was 6 years before twitter and the money, he open all his software to the comunity, could be a very rich man:

In 2004, Marlinspike bought a derelict sailboat and, along with three friends, refurbished it and sailed around the Bahamas while making a documentary about their journey called Hold Fast.

In 2010, Marlinspike was the chief technology officer and co-founder of Whisper Systems,[13] an enterprise mobile security startup company. In May 2010, Whisper Systems launched TextSecure and RedPhone. These were applications that provided end-to-end encrypted SMS messaging and voice calling, respectively. The company was acquired by the social-media firm Twitter for an undisclosed amount in late 2011.[14] The acquisition was done "primarily so that Mr. Marlinspike could help the then-startup improve its security".[12] During his time as head of cybersecurity at Twitter,[15] the firm made Whisper Systems' apps open source.[

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

then he should have had enough cash to not go around nicking stuff at night

I had two really good outboards "scavenged" at night

not best pleased

Dylan

Yeah -- he should go around nicking entire economies in broad daylight, like certain other tech bros.<_<

The kids in Hold Fast seem to be operating on the  widespread belief that salvage operates on a 'finders keepers' basis.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

wait, there a pig beach in the Abacos too now? Since when? Are they just putting pigs on beaches to make tourist attractions?

of course they are

the owners  learned about it from youtube

The pigs get pretty sick - they eat a lot of sand with all the hamburgers and crap the women in bikinis throw for them

Pigs are also really terrible for ground nesting birds and the native vegetation of these islands

Dylan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hard aground said:

 

I have to admit it doesn't make sense. On the outside that boat looks like no one has been near it for a very, very, very long time. The insides are a bit cluttered with stuff but it is in no way a disaster. They'll probably be finished their refit before Mads too.

I don't think Mads will ever be finished. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

so a german laying claim to other people's possessions?

Nevah happened b'foh

Hey! Just to say: I actually liked your post. But being the jerk I am, I could not resist giving you your 100th downvote. Congrats!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, woahboy said:

I don't think Mads will ever be finished. 

Yeah.  The idea of continually rebuilidng his boat seems to have a greater appeal to him than actually sailing it.  He will continually come up with more projects that "need" to be done as the old ones near completion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Yeah.  The idea of continually rebuilidng his boat seems to have a greater appeal to him than actually sailing it.  He will continually come up with more projects that "need" to be done as the old ones near completion.

he went to sea once - he got sea sick

which is a tragedy for some-one who loves boats

he makes fixing vids not sailing vids.

Goodonim - they are very well done and he has a wonderful persona

- although my philosophy is sail now fettle later

Incidentally - I drove 1000 km to Finisterre to buy a Fisher 25 last week -

from a Frenchman

- there are some good lessons to be learned

there is a blog about it somewhere

filthyfisher-Still017.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I see now you're writing mystery thrillers.  Twas a good attempt, I must say.  Alas, the outcome is likely predictable based on the teaser photos and tone of the Prologue--- but I don't think a pound is worth filling out a PayPal transaction, only to have the missus ask about it on the next billing cycle.

Think bigger, offer a little more...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Veeger said:

Okay, I see now you're writing mystery thrillers.  Twas a good attempt, I must say.  Alas, the outcome is likely predictable based on the teaser photos and tone of the Prologue--- but I don't think a pound is worth filling out a PayPal transaction, only to have the missus ask about it on the next billing cycle.

Think bigger, offer a little more...

well done for  following through though

making free films does not cut the mustard - too many wonderful alogrithm pandering free films out there  so tried selling words and pictures

it is an old concept

also trying to establish if the mechanics of the paywall works for  what is likely to be the last chance saloon with the films this coming winter

full no quibble refund available

It earned me $4 overnight

pissed off a few people no doubt as well

email me if you wish to read the full gruesome details for freemans

it was a good story though

it had a flow to it, a mystery, an evil genius at it's centre and a  happy ending

Dylan

PS - it was $1 - £1 would have cost $1.25 and involved an even bigger fight with swmbo

Link to post
Share on other sites