Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1 hour ago, hard aground said:

Some people can learn from the mistakes of others, other people have to be the ones who become the salutory lessons for dreamers.

I know already which category this couple fall into.

It's not even an attractive boat. I wouldn't have taken it on for free.

FKT

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Some people can learn from the mistakes of others, other people have to be the ones who become the salutory lessons for dreamers.

... and some make them on purpose.  (or so it seems).

Just now, MauiPunter said:

... and some make them on purpose.  (or so it seems).

Yeah well I built a boat and what's more, were I a younger man I'd build another one or 5. I like building stuff.

Alternatively I don't learn from personal experience.

FKT

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

This is all becoming quite repetitive. It's not even worth checking out new channels anymore.

Oh yeah, well they haven't gone swimming with the pigs yet, so there's that!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dogscout said:

Oh yeah, well they haven't gone swimming with the pigs yet, so there's that!

The first thumbnail shows the girl fully clothed and wearing a giant, orange horse collar PFD.

I give it 2 months before she's jamming a winch handle between her ass cheeks while wearing a thong bikini so that they can meet their marina bill.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

The first thumbnail shows the girl fully clothed and wearing a giant, orange horse collar PFD.

I give it 2 months before she's jamming a winch handle between her ass cheeks while wearing a thong bikini so that they can meet their marina bill.

Now I need mind's eye bleach.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ajax said:

I still wouldn't pay to see that...

FKT

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ajax said:

now, now be nice  :)

9 hours ago, Ajax said:

Well she's going to have to skip the breakfast bar for a while first. Just saying.

2 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Sorry, I forgot. Our acceptable low bar here is "not horrible looking."

I thought our bar was, "can she make pancakes?"

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ajax said:

This is all becoming quite repetitive. It's not even worth checking out new channels anymore.

It's actually a competition for who can buy the shittiest, most oversized boat with the most damage possible, then make 15 minute videos which is 10 minutes of selfie cam and 5 minutes of irrelevant B-roll with voice-over talking about how "there is just so much work than expected to do".

1 hour ago, toddster said:

And the difference between this and the other 98% of millennial slackers is that there’s a boat.

I think anyone who takes on a project that big is probably not a slacker

deluded perhaps but not frightenedof hard work - I am sure that  they have watched the literally hundreds of other films where a slightly telegenic couple by a heap of junk and either transform it like a swan..... or walk  away and leave it for another  person to deal with.

I thought the  "sinking" headline was a bit rich

most of my boats have required bailing/pumping  out at some stage - the water comes either up through the cutlass or down through 40 year old windows/hatches

The little trailer sailer has never leaked a drop though -   newer hull/windows  and outboard in a well. I clean the bilges with a dustpan and brush. 

The 50 year old fisher is another kettle of fish.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, darth reapius said:

It's actually a competition for who can buy the shittiest, most oversized boat with the most damage possible, then make 15 minute videos which is 10 minutes of selfie cam and 5 minutes of irrelevant B-roll with voice-over talking about how "there is just so much work than expected to do".

Yeah it’s somebody grinding fiberglass, a crying baby, or the girlfriend showing it off for clicks. Kind of tired of it.

But, really enjoying Vendée Globe videos now, with subtitles on where possible (first one was the last live update and starts at 3:57):

13 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Well she's going to have to skip the breakfast bar for a while first. Just saying.

She's not ripped like Kika from Sailing Uma but she's not as pudgy as the swimming pigs.  She is pasty and bland.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Happy to know I'm not alone in my hate for selfie sticks.  Can't take another minute of "watch me and the pavement behind me as I walk down the street".  Looks even dumber in skiing videos

My other pet peeve is having someone sit in a cockpit or salon and tell me what they did instead of actually showing me the footage.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, svitale said:

Happy to know I'm not alone in my hate for selfie sticks.  Can't take another minute of "watch me and the pavement behind me as I walk down the street".  Looks even dumber in skiing videos

My other pet peeve is having someone sit in a cockpit or salon and tell me what they did instead of actually showing me the footage.

The other one I hate is when they show sped up video of 2 hours of boat work in 2 minutes. Makes my head explode.

I am helping my daughter do a conversion project on a 2000 Ford econoline delivery van she bought on Facebook and I have watched a lot of #vanlife videos lately to figure it out. The people on those videos are worse. Didnt learn much. My daughter’s van is now marine-grade, with the rusted out parts of the cabin sole fiberglassed, lots of Blue Sea parts, and the same electrical system I have in my boat, so if it goes in the water it should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
5 hours ago, svitale said:

3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

#vanlife videos

Ah yes, we had a bit of an infestation of both of those this summer.  I can't complain too much: I was able to unload a scrap project van that had been rusting behind the barn for far too long on some gullible enterprising young guy. The van people mostly seem to have migrated off to warmer climes now.  BTW, I looked up the prices of some of those stock vans :blink: and thought of the sort of boat I could buy for that much money!

Then there were various kids that I observed facing blank walls along the waterfront and doing little dances.  At first I thought it was some sort of neurological event. Then I realized they had their phones propped up there and were making "TikToks."

28 minutes ago, toddster said:

Ah yes, we had a bit of an infestation of both of those this summer.  I can't complain too much: I was able to unload a scrap project van that had been rusting behind the barn for far too long on some gullible enterprising young guy. The van people mostly seem to have migrated off to warmer climes now.  BTW, I looked up the prices of some of those stock vans :blink: and thought of the sort of boat I could buy for that much money!

Then there were various kids that I observed facing blank walls along the waterfront and doing little dances.  At first I thought it was some sort of neurological event. Then I realized they had their phones propped up there and were making "TikToks."

You sure it's not a bit of both?

The Expedition Evans people are formerly #vanlifers and there are a couple others I can’t think of right now where the van was a gateway drug to a sailboat. So it’s not all bad.

But the van is sitting in my driveway with a busted serpentine belt right now. Only cost $3K but shoulda got a survey.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

They should be punished for egging those kids on. The fawning on Youtube was too much for me to stomach. Not a realistic opinion in the bunch.

It makes me question the Yaba folks even more.  They bought that hulk just because they wanted too.  There was no other ulterior motive.

34 minutes ago, hard aground said:

Next!!!!!

Well that was painful.

Hope they've got a really good stock of grinding disks and at least 4 angle grinders. Not to mention decent welding experience.

The interior was considerably better condition than I expected from the exterior.

Not going to watch any more.

FKT

There are yards and yards of abandoned derelicts for small or no money.  Enough for everyone to get a youtube  channel.  If you don't have a youtube channel, are you really sailing?  Are you though?  :D

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

There are yards and yards of abandoned derelicts for small or no money.

Will you shut up? I do NOT need any more bright ideas. Though there's no chance I'll ever have or appear on a YouTube channel, already passed on the opportunity to have a cameo role.

But if anyone knows of a Colvin DOXY or YANKEE POINT vessel going cheap.....

FKT

Maybe we are going about this all wrong.  I dont want a you-tube channel, but if some young Aussie chick with nice breasts shows up on the dock with a go-pro, I just might let her onboard.  I may even consider letting her film the dog.  I'll just sit back and watch the whole thing unfold.  If she wants to make french toast well then let her.  If she develops a liking to the winch handle, well then who am I to judge?  

Im open to this?  Because thats the kind of giving person I am.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Maybe we are going about this all wrong.  I dont want a you-tube channel, but if some young Aussie chick with nice breasts shows up on the dock with a go-pro, I just might let her onboard.  I may even consider letting her film the dog.  I'll just sit back and watch the whole thing unfold.  If she wants to make french toast well then let her.  If she develops a liking to the winch handle, well then who am I to judge?  

Im open to this?  Because thats the kind of giving person I am.

you are being entirely reasonable. Good luck1! :P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, robtoujours said:

looks like they have form - their previous boat was a Snapdragon 24

1952.jpg.a29617c0a3f7ba18f2dd8f640765c78e.jpg

That's not horrible. It's functional, at least.  This makes their choice of a waterlogged, unattractive schooner all the more baffling. They should have known better.

Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit unfair. They are known as floating caravans, but at the same time, a very solid choice as a starter boat in the uk. logical upgrade indeed would be something like a 30-32ft westerly or moody. maybe the missus demanded some interior luxury? they'll need it as they won't be going very far for a while

1 minute ago, robtoujours said:

Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit unfair. They are known as floating caravans, but at the same time, a very solid choice as a starter boat in the uk. logical upgrade indeed would be something like a 30-32ft westerly or moody. maybe the missus demanded some interior luxury? they'll need it as they won't be going very far for a while

I ask you seriously, do you think they could safely doublehand a 70 foot schooner? Are they planning on taking on crew?

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

It's bad enough these people have to pick hopeless, decrepit boats but do they have to pick UGLY boats that won't sail worth a shit?

In the last few years the Dolphin 24 site listed a few boats available for free, with no takers, which probably wound up in a landfill. Sad.

Ajax: looks like crossed wires, I was talking about the sailing melody couple with the 38ft rust bucket !

I don't know if the schooner loons even had a boat before? if it wasn't wood but steel then I could vaguely understand some hope to use it as a powered diving tender for charterers as apparently the guy is a diver? or maybe they are going to try a Mikasa solution on some beachfront property? 

This poor couple got a huge boat and is way in over their head but try to redeem themselves by making delightful videos that will make you positively squeal with delight and live vicariously through their madcap adventures at the dock and enjoying gourmet  onboard one-pot recipes, and will make you want to support their Patreon account so that they’d can upgrade their onboard air conditioning to make it through another hot Florida winter.  Help them, please!

Oh, wait, that’s another YouTube channel...

4 hours ago, robtoujours said:

Ajax: looks like crossed wires, I was talking about the sailing melody couple with the 38ft rust bucket !

I don't know if the schooner loons even had a boat before? if it wasn't wood but steel then I could vaguely understand some hope to use it as a powered diving tender for charterers as apparently the guy is a diver? or maybe they are going to try a Mikasa solution on some beachfront property? 

Yeah - 2 different things/boats, I got it.

The steel boat isn't totally horrible, it'd look better if that amount of crap was in a 45' hull but whatever. I liked the comment about wide decks, hate to think what they had before if they think those decks are wide. Mine are 600mm wide. If I were building it again I'd probably narrow them to 500mm but no less; if I want to go forward I don't want to have to turn sideways and wiggle my way along.

That one is restorable on a surface view, nothing really stood out as a show-stopper if you're fair to good at metalwork, woodwork, electricals and plumbing. And have at least 3 years free time, full time.

FKT

9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This poor couple got a huge boat and is way in over their head but try to redeem themselves by making delightful videos that will make you positively squeal with delight and live vicariously through their madcap adventures at the dock and enjoying gourmet  onboard one-pot recipes, and will make you want to support their Patreon account so that they’d can upgrade their onboard air conditioning to make it through another hot Florida winter.  Help them, please!

Oh, wait, that’s another YouTube channel...

A semi knock down? What is that? Is it a bit of a wobble when the shit you didn't stow properly ends up on the floor?

I'm not clicking on the vid to find out.

5 hours ago, European Bloke said:

A semi knock down? What is that? Is it a bit of a wobble when the shit you didn't stow properly ends up on the floor?

I'm not clicking on the vid to find out.

It’s actually only about 20 secs long.  Boat goes almost 90 degrees, then rights.  No fake drama, storyline or music.  Just happened to have an onboard cam rolling when a wave sort of snuck up on him off Australia. (The entire dialogue is, “Oh shit!!”)

Of course, there’s always drama at the dock/one pot onboard gourmet meals “sailing” vids to click on instead :-) :-)

1 hour ago, hard aground said:

Are you building a boat Ajax?

This looks interesting.  I'll take a look. I suck at woodwork so people who are good at it fascinate me. 

10 hours ago, fragglerock said:

No bikinis for this lot!

What a curious boat, shape like a warship and painted like a UK lifeboat, and a pedestal grinder forward of the cabin house... Interesting design philosophy that's for sure.  Kudos for crossing the south atlantic in the middle of winter though

5 hours ago, Fintho said:

What a curious boat, shape like a warship and painted like a UK lifeboat, and a pedestal grinder forward of the cabin house... Interesting design philosophy that's for sure.  Kudos for crossing the south atlantic in the middle of winter though

It is Pelagic (Skip Novac boat)... More British you die!