Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

I blame it all on covid. I am spending far too much time on YouTube these days.

First to admit that some of the camera work with drones and high resolution is breathtaking.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Quick reality check.  You don't get to buy a million-dollar boat by going to work all day every day.  The sums don't add up.

That path may buy you a modest, aged yacht, but it doesn't let you a million.

In the past, most buyers of million-dollar boats got them through various forms forms of other people going to work. Inherited wealth, or through getting other people to work for the lucky person, or through the various forms of rent-seeking which capitalist societies facilitate, or through speculation.

Here we have a new business model.  La Vagabonde are getting their money through a lot of hard work: making themselves the subject of a self-produced TV show.  And they monetise it like any busker does, by holding out a hat.  Sure, their that is virtual, but they do very effective marketing, and that's work.

If you don't like it, don't put money in the hat.  But you'll have a hard time persuading me that the YouTube path to boat ownership is less virtuous than the other ways to buy big boats.

A million? Think the OP was referring to 100k - somewhat more affordable. Despite COVID boats of a modest size are easily attainable for anyone who can save a few hundred currency units a month. Though of course, things can change. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, chester said:

they "grow" away from the itinerrant life style of hippy cruiser and pivots to needing to raise lenny in chateau in southern france.  

A riff on the Shania Twain story!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

last I remember La Vag didnt own the Outremer, they were leasing it on a sweetheart deal with Outremer as a promotion. Lease over?

3 hours ago, robtoujours said:

A million? Think the OP was referring to 100k - somewhat more affordable. Despite COVID boats of a modest size are easily attainable for anyone who can save a few hundred currency units a month. Though of course, things can change. 

Not so. @bajakiter's coment was i the context of La Vag buying a million-dollar boat.

The first La Vag was a $100k (or thereabouts) boat which had been bought from the money Riley had saved when working on the oil rigs.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:12 AM, Mark Set said:

last I remember La Vag didnt own the Outremer, they were leasing it on a sweetheart deal with Outremer as a promotion. Lease over?

They were buying it on a sweetheart vendor finance deal.  With all that Patreon money they have probably paid it off by now.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Who are the 95 people giving it a thumbs down.  WTF.

95 down vs. 16,000 up.  That's great.  Only 6/10 of a percent thumbs down.

My stuff averages about 2 percent thumbs down.

I seem to get 'em even when not slagging any anchors.

Steve

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Gotta wonder what is going on in the head of anyone who gives Leo's videos a thumbsdown.

Brilliant craftsmanship, very well-filmed.  Great explanations of the vast range of skills, tools and processes involved in turning trees into a durable boat.  Plenty of engaging characters, including a dog and a parrot, and at the centre of it all the fascinating Leo.

Leo is a somewhat shy, hesitant man, the sort of person who looks like he'd be uncomfortable at a party, and talked over by the big egos in a meeting.  To use a crude term, he looks like a template for a beta male.

But he clearly has huge talent for boatbuilding and lots of experience, and has some very high people skills. He has managed to get a lot of people working well together, creating a buzz that goes way beyond the faces working around the hull, bringing in all sorts of support and input from long distances.  In a world where power and limelight seems to be hugged by shallow, confident bullshitters, the success of that unlikely leader is refreshing and fascinating.

So by now, the lure of the series goes way beyond boats, and way beyond crafts.  It's also a compelling human story.

So I hope that those downvoters are just bored trolls.

• Like 7

Zero tits, 16,000 views. That's quality. 

5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

To use a crude term, he looks like a template for a beta male.

Hey,  that's what's today's women want- unthreatening males that will never challenge them in any way. He'll be sought after. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

Zero tits, 16,000 views. That's quality. 

Hey,  that's what's today's women want- unthreatening males that will never challenge them in any way. He'll be sought after. 

I would be interested myself, except it'd be a bit too much like cradle-snatching. :D 

But seriously, most het women don't want an unchallenging man. They want a non-dominating man, which is a whole different thing.

• Like 3

Just read this sentence in the latest "Cruising World." For some reason, I found it astonishing. But maybe I shouldn't have?

"We have yet to meet a young cruiser who isn’t vlogging, blogging, photo journaling or writing a book about their cruise."

Somehow, the concept of universal self-promotion depresses me.   

Now I'm remembering a quote from somebody's signature line that astonished me, some time ago.  I may not recall it exactly:

"If your signature line does not include your facebook, instagram, and youtube handles, I assume that you are not a real person and will automatically block you."

:blink:

I think I'll go take the dog for a long walk.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, toddster said:

Just read this sentence in the latest “Cruising Wod”:

"We have yet to meet a young cruiser who isn’t vlogging, blogging, photo journaling or writing a book about their cruise."

Somehow, the concept of universal self-promotion depresses me.   

Now I'm remembering a quote from somebody's signature line that astonished me, some time ago.  I may not recall it exactly:

"If your signature line does not include your facebook, instagram, and youtube handles, I assume that you are not a real person and will automatically block you."

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Panope said:

Steve

Your YouTube videos are great. I often wonder what hang-up those people have.

JJ

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Panope said:
15 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Panope, anyone downvoting your videos is a wanchor

• Like 4

These guys hired a surveyor to evaluate their fix and apparently, it passed inspection.  That's great news, but, I think I would have hired an engineering-type person.  Maybe this surveyor was that type of person, but, it's unclear.  Apparently, this was part of the process to get the boat insured.

2 hours ago, johnsonjay17 said:

Your YouTube videos are great. I often wonder what hang-up those people have.

JJ

Thanks, JJ

Assuming I have not shown their favorite anchor in a spectacular failure, then It could be something as basic as my demeanor or even the sound of my voice that just rubs them the wrong way.

Can't please them all.

Steve

• Like 2
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Gotta wonder what is going on in the head of anyone who gives Leo's videos a thumbsdown.

Brilliant craftsmanship, very well-filmed.  Great explanations of the vast range of skills, tools and processes involved in turning trees into a durable boat.  Plenty of engaging characters, including a dog and a parrot, and at the centre of it all the fascinating Leo.

Leo is a somewhat shy, hesitant man, the sort of person who looks like he'd be uncomfortable at a party, and talked over by the big egos in a meeting.  To use a crude term, he looks like a template for a beta male.

But he clearly has huge talent for boatbuilding and lots of experience, and has some very high people skills. He has managed to get a lot of people working well together, creating a buzz that goes way beyond the faces working around the hull, bringing in all sorts of support and input from long distances.  In a world where power and limelight seems to be hugged by shallow, confident bullshitters, the success of that unlikely leader is refreshing and fascinating.

So by now, the lure of the series goes way beyond boats, and way beyond crafts.  It's also a compelling human story.

So I hope that those downvoters are just bored trolls.

I think you care about downvotes much more than Leo does 

19 hours ago, Panope said:

Steve

Considering that anchors are the 2A topics of the sailing world, that's a really good percentage. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Panope said:

Assuming I have not shown their favorite anchor in a spectacular failure, then It could be something as basic as my demeanor or even the sound of my voice that just rubs them the wrong way.

Can't please them all.

Maybe they resent your failure to get naked.

5 hours ago, Elegua said:

Considering that anchors are the 2A topics of the sailing world, that's a really good percentage. 

Sailing's third rail -- anchor preference.

I watch a lot of YT videos of rescue kittens who were abandoned and are tiny but feisty and super cute. (All of these descriptors must be included in any rescue kitten video.) There are downvotes, invariably. Perhaps from people who feel the kittens should be tinier or cuter or feistier? Or maybe the voter thinks the foster human is doing it wrong. 

Also, it is really easy to hit the thumbs down icon by accident on a phone screen.

these people are moving fast

and they seem to have plenty of experienced yet fairly cheap  labour  available - plus no health and safety to worry about

I think some of the negativity in this thread  towards their efforts  is unjustified

Dylan

15 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I think some of the negativity in this thread  towards their efforts  is unjustified

Dylan

Depends how much they replace & how far from land they go IMO! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Depends how much they replace & how far from land they go IMO! 

as they are rebuilding a tourist boat for paying guests then there is no need to go far from shore. - just a bay for paddle boarding  They also have all that lovely cheap local hardwood and cheap skilled labour. If she can cook and he can clean then they will be 0ffering some very noce holidays for tourists and patrons

Dylan

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dylan winter said:

as they are rebuilding a tourist boat for paying guests then there is no need to go far from shore. - just a bay for paddle boarding  They also have all that lovely cheap local hardwood and cheap skilled labour. If she can cook and he can clean then they will be 0ffering some very noce holidays for tourists and patrons

Dylan

If that was the plan from the beginning, it all makes sense and I retract some of my negativity.

If their plan was to emulate Uma or something, it is the wrong tool for the application.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

I watch a lot of YT videos of rescue kittens who were abandoned and are tiny but feisty and super cute. (All of these descriptors must be included in any rescue kitten video.) There are downvotes, invariably. Perhaps from people who feel the kittens should be tinier or cuter or feistier? Or maybe the voter thinks the foster human is doing it wrong. 

Or maybe they grew up on farms where very young kids routinely drown barnyard kittens for amusement.  By hand!  I was horrified when my country cousins showed me the practice.

8 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Sailing's third rail -- anchor preference.

Also, it is really easy to hit the thumbs down icon by accident on a phone screen.

And bull-rails.

People are strange. There's a woman in Australia that goes around saving flying foxes. There is usually a moment in each video when she feeds them some grape juice and they go from squalling and fearful to placid and pliable.  People vote that down. 200 fat fingers?  And people will upvote a video on Hitler's Top 10 favorite Finger Sandwiches (Updated!!!).

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Or maybe they grew up on farms where very young kids routinely drown barnyard kittens for amusement.  By hand!  I was horrified when my country cousins showed me the practice.

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

People are strange. There's a woman in Australia that goes around saving flying foxes. There is usually a moment in each video when she feeds them some grape juice and they go from squalling and fearful to placid and pliable.  People vote that down. 200 fat fingers?  And people will upvote a video on Hitler's Top 10 favorite Finger Sandwiches (Updated!!!).

Eight downvotes. "Kittens were active and super cute but not tiny. 2/10, would drown in bucket."  WTF people?!?

15 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Eight downvotes. "Kittens were active and super cute but not tiny. 2/10, would drown in a bucket."  WTF people?!?

Music sucks...downvote.

• Like 1

I watched 50 seconds, then managed to stop it playing just before my will to live slipped into deficit.

I didn't know that nay human being could be as deadly boring as those two.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

La Vagabonde ups its stake in the sailing-vlog-with-baby race, by putting another bun in the oven

Did they raffle that duty off to a lucky viewer?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Did they raffle that duty off to a lucky viewer?

Well, I suppose it's *possible* that I could care less.

Maybe a bit less than watching a vid about a sailing couple buying a tiny apartment in the Czech Republic and putting together a bunch of Ikea furniture.

But possibly not too.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Well, I suppose it's *possible* that I could care less.

Maybe a bit less than watching a vid about a sailing couple buying a tiny apartment in the Czech Republic and putting together a bunch of Ikea furniture.

But possibly not too.

Whatever floats your boat. FKT.  Shiny happy people aren't my favourite either.

My interest is n the media phenomenon, not the content.  With 400k+ viewers per episode, and more than 4 dozen episodes with over 1 million views each, La Vagabonde is now probably the single most popular media representation of sailing.   That matters, because it defines what a lot of people think sailing is about.

And even tho  don't like hem much, I admire the fact that a pair of working-class kids have managed to build for themselves a life previously available only to the 1%.  They haven't been part of the parasitism that scoops up cash through banking or rent-seeking or asset speculation or by creaming off the surplus value of other people's wages; instead they make all their money from individual voluntary contributions.  I think that's a welcome change, but YMMV.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

What a cracker crew Tommy Lee Jones and Karen.

that is some top notch entertainment there

I love their video thumbnails too - they make the very best of their assets - well her assets too

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC71ywztleCsbPQ5K7x8eTdQ/videos

they also do merch

https://teespring.com/stores/sailing-intermission-2

560.jpg

still I say.......... goodonem!

Dylan

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I love their video thumbnails too - they make the very best of their assets - well her assets too

Tits in every thumbnail.  They don't do subtlety.

If there's a market out there for perving over saggy wrinkly tits attached to a voice that sounds like a Mogadon test, then this couple are on target.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Whatever floats your boat. FKT.  Shiny happy people aren't my favourite either.

My interest is n the media phenomenon, not the content.  With 400k+ viewers per episode, and more than 4 dozen episodes with over 1 million views each, La Vagabonde is now probably the single most popular media representation of sailing.   That matters, because it defines what a lot of people think sailing is about.

And even tho  don't like hem much, I admire the fact that a pair of working-class kids have managed to build for themselves a life previously available only to the 1%.  They haven't been part of the parasitism that scoops up cash through banking or rent-seeking or asset speculation or by creaming off the surplus value of other people's wages; instead they make all their money from individual voluntary contributions.  I think that's a welcome change, but YMMV.

Yeah I don't have any problems with how they're funding their lifestyle, more power to them. Lots more exploitive ways to do it, people obviously think they're getting value for money.

Just not interested in them or what they do, any more than I am about the Kardashians or any of the other vacuous people.

Others, sure - Samson boat works, Acorn to Arabella, Salt & Tar, Free Range Sailing, Magic Carpet to name a few. I don't donate money to them though. The only YouTube person I've donated to is Dylan.

FKT

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Priscilla said:

What a cracker crew Tommy Lee Jones and Karen.

Clavicles too sharp. Wouldn't bang.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

that is some top notch entertainment there

they also do merch

https://teespring.com/stores/sailing-intermission-2

560.jpg

still I say.......... goodonem!

Dylan

winches or wenches?  is that a typo?

8 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Tits in every thumbnail.  They don't do subtlety.

If there's a market out there for perving over saggy wrinkly tits attached to a voice that sounds like a Mogadon test, then this couple are on target.

hey!  she/both i guess, are lookin pretty good... better than the vids they make!  I like how this seems to have gone down:  lot's of yong beautiful people seem to be making money my videoing the hot chick partner in very little clothing...let'd getemout!  the dancing at the base of the companion way? yikes, highly cringey.  And this is ageist (and worse since, ya know i'm in my 60's) but there seems to be an age when, regardless of  how good yer looking, buying swim wear from wicked weasel just doesn't work.

11 hours ago, olaf hart said:

More interesting, useful stuff 

Sort of a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance kind of dude... His videos on outboard repairs are spot-on. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Elegua said:

Sort of a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance kind of dude... His videos on outboard repairs are spot-on. 

He's doing alright.  I took a quick squiz at his channel and he is married to a lass whom looks young enough to be his daughter.

26 minutes ago, JRC026 said:

He's doing alright.  I took a quick squiz at his channel and he is married to a lass whom looks young enough to be his daughter.

And that's a good thing? 

9 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

And that's a good thing? 

'Earning above his pay grade'

"Batting above his average'

That is what I meant.  I have no feelings either way about young-old partnerships (of legal age!) between the sexes
Live and let live I say, when it comes to love...

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 7.10.29 PM.png

1 minute ago, JRC026 said:
10 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

And that's a good thing? 

'Earning above his pay grade'

"Batting above his average'

That is what I meant.  I have no feelings either way about young-old partnerships (of legal age!) between the sexes

That combo is often a variant of perve-meets-gold-digger.  Not always, but often.

The only woman I know who made such a marriage was alarmingly knowledgeable about the fragile cardiac situation of her wealthy husband.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

That combo is often a variant of perve-meets-gold-digger.  Not always, but often.

The only woman I know who made such a marriage was alarmingly knowledgeable about the fragile cardiac situation of her wealthy husband.

'perve meets gold-digger'!

That deserves it's own thread.  Could have some fun with that  :-)

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

And that's a good thing? 

Women are intelligent, strong, powerful and empowered. It's their body and they're capable of making their own decisions.

I personally, would never engage in an emotional or physical relationship with a woman too far my junior but I won't judge young women who choose to engage in relationships with men who are far their seniors (or vice versa) as long as it is mutually consensual and within the legal statutes for age in the place where the relationship takes place.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, olaf hart said:

More interesting, useful stuff 

I think it's bad karma as to why he kept getting hit...................

After watching the "Sail into Freedom" guy get a hole blown in his boat I sure as hell don't want it happening to me. @Innocent Bystander had to have his hull peeled after a strike.

I have bonding all over the place that ties to the keel and to the engine...which leads to the shaft, which goes in the water.  This all seems very logical and reassuring but I'm not placing a whole lot of faith in it.

8 hours ago, JRC026 said:

I have no feelings either way about young-old partnerships (of legal age!) between the sexes

What's love got to do with it?
-- Tina Turner

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ww_4307.png

That poor, poor girl. Lured in by that wealthy perv. He's so shrewd, she doesn't have a clue what she's gotten herself into.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ajax said:

That poor, poor girl. Lured in by that wealthy perv. He's so shrewd, she doesn't have a clue what she's gotten herself into.

Exactly. She's totally been forced into this position by a violent patriarchal society that only value her for her fake boobs.  /s

1 minute ago, Elegua said:

Exactly. She's totally been forced into this position by a violent patriarchal society that only value her for her fake boobs.  /s

Ah, thank you for reminding me to use the sarcasm font. ;)

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Pasting his EKGs into the wedding album is one clue.

heart rhythm, Electrocardiogram, ECG - EKG signal, Heart Beat pulse line concept design isolated on white background Stock Vector - 112511049

On 1/9/2021 at 11:22 PM, Panope said:

Steve

Wow, your videos are great. Love em.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

After watching the "Sail into Freedom" guy get a hole blown in his boat I sure as hell don't want it happening to me. @Innocent Bystander had to have his hull peeled after a strike.

I have bonding all over the place that ties to the keel and to the engine...which leads to the shaft, which goes in the water.  This all seems very logical and reassuring but I'm not placing a whole lot of faith in it.

Zero faith. Remember my strike 1.5 years ago. Zero protection on me. Full bonding on boat next to me. Top of the line. We were both hit. Guess who had more damage...

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Wess said:

Zero faith. Remember my strike 1.5 years ago. Zero protection on me. Full bonding on boat next to me. Top of the line. We were both hit. Guess who had more damage...

Your neighbor took more damage? Oh, that's lovely. You took a lot of damage.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

Wow, your videos are great. Love em.

Thanks Wess.

---------------------

Thinking more about the occasional downvotes that I receive, some are likely from people who have legitimate criticism of my test protocols and/or analysis.

Certainly, they are not perfect.

Steve

• Like 1