Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

Dunno... I always end up with lingering suspicions about young people with that much wealth and leisure.  Petty of me, I know.  

Still, I expect to discover that they're sitting on a pile of Nazi loot. Or fronting for a drug cartel.  Those overnight sails? Disposing of bodies, probably.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, chester said:

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

Chester, nobody living on a big expensive yacht and flying back-and-forth from it is "regular folks".  Regular folks work two jobs to pay the rent on a crappy home.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, chester said:

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

TwoLegged didn’t watch the short but sweet bralette part, I think, where she rollllllls out the dough, so TL is reading too much into the video :-) :-)

10 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

TwoLegged didn’t watch the short but sweet bralette part, I think, where she rollllllls out the dough, so TL is reading too much into the video :-) :-)

I haven't watched any of that video.  But over the years, i have watched probably a dozen of the Wynns' other videos, and that's how I form my judgement of them.

31 minutes ago, chester said:

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

35 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, TwoLegged said:

Q. What's the definition of the perfect man?

A. The one who screws you silly until 3am ... then turns into a pizza

This yin POV ("fuck me") is how women since the dawn of time have cultivated the yang alpha male ("fuck you") archetype.  The joke has considerably more than a grain of truth.  And so it goes...

1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

groan...obviously i should have been more familiar with their work before defending them.

25 minutes ago, chester said:

groan...obviously i should have been more familiar with their work before defending them.

Hah, I was actually watching of their vids before they bought a boat when they were working remote out of an RV.  Specifically they do some deep delves into the different hardware they actually use.

Although yeah, they are social influencers of their generation and the Hipster is strong.

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

We own a wine aerator.:unsure: It was a gift! We only use it ironically. Also many cheese knives, a marble rolling pin, and a pizza peel (for those 3am post-boff snacks). 

I like the Wynns. For the same reasons I like the aforementioned rescue kitten YouTubes: They are super cute, feisty, harmless, and soothing in a world full of anger, spite, and violence. They come from priviledge, and few of us here can escape that charge, but they are self-aware enuf to know it and they generally try to behave decently and tread lightly. They put in the hours and get better at things. If their curiosity seldom qualifies as intellectual, they still take an interest in the world and people around them. They seem kind, happy, and in love. I`m not sure on what basis we ought ask more.

"I was not born to save this world, but to live in it." -- Thoreau

• Like 5

Oh my god, I'm on youtube this fine afternoon, sadly not sailing :(

What do I see?

ANOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN YOUTUBE SAILING CHANNEL, STARRING SOME LITTLE BITCH WITH A FUNNY NAME, A STUPID AS HELL CHANNEL NAME, NOW WITH A PATREON ACCOUNT!

They have only made 26 videos before this one (their 27th episode) before they "ask the community to contribute" because "they would love it" and wish they could "give us extra features the you don't get 'just watching the videos'".

This channel doesn't even go sailing in all their videos, just a handful of them unfortunately.

I won't lie, their leading star isn't exactly a supermodel either with some pretty questionable tatts and they have some nothing of a 35 foot 4ksb, but really just spend all their time gawking at other peoples boats and doing boat tours (which they have some weird fettish for windows, naturalists eh?).

Anyway, if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqPp5578PHo

I'm more of an "onlyfans" guy, but this one actually sounds pretty cool, apparently they are involved with some sailing website as well, I forget which one.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Oh my god, I'm on youtube this fine afternoon, sadly not sailing :(

What do I see?

ANOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN YOUTUBE SAILING CHANNEL, STARRING SOME LITTLE BITCH WITH A FUNNY NAME, A STUPID AS HELL CHANNEL NAME, NOW WITH A PATREON ACCOUNT!

They have only made 26 videos before this one (their 27th episode) before they "ask the community to contribute" because "they would love it" and wish they could "give us extra features the you don't get 'just watching the videos'".

This channel doesn't even go sailing in all their videos, just a handful of them unfortunately.

I won't lie, their leading star isn't exactly a supermodel either with some pretty questionable tatts and they have some nothing of a 35 foot 4ksb, but really just spend all their time gawking at other peoples boats and doing boat tours (which they have some weird fettish for windows, naturalists eh?).

I'm more of an "onlyfans" guy, but this one actually sounds pretty cool, apparently they are involved with some sailing website as well, I forget which one.

Well played, DR!

1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

It's only a startup, but on the upside there is no man bun ... and are no tits on view.  The latter will probably rule it out for all the men who are still tying to compensate for having been bottle-fed ... 

3 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

You'd make good company on a boat,  I like people who don't like the sound of their own voice !

Most people act like silence is a hole that must be filled, as if somehow, the hole is offensive to them. People need to learn what "companionable silence" means and learn to enjoy it.

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

We own a wine aerator.:unsure: It was a gift! We only use it ironically. Also many cheese knives, a marble rolling pin, and a pizza peel (for those 3am post-boff snacks). 

I am not sure that you can get away with the irony defence for owning that many gadgets.  Especially the multiple cheese-knives.

It's like a push-up bra. You can own one ironically, but by the time you have a whole drawer-full in different colours, the irony drowns due to the lack of juxtaposition.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

To that list in the last sentence, I add engine noise. When the birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage etc are interrupted by a feckin engine, it's like being back on a city street.

I agree about companionable silence.  It's a much under-rated virtue.

OTOH, when it is time to talk, I want the company of people who have something of substance to say.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Most people act like silence is a hole that must be filled, as if somehow, the hole is offensive to them. People need to learn what "companionable silence" means and learn to enjoy it.

It's amazing how far one has to go these days to find that kind of quiet. You are nicely settled in a quiet anchorage on an offshore island and the wind shifts to the NE and suddenly the private aircraft are going overhead in the landing pattern.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

One reason why I'm looking forward to sailing off the coast for awhile.

In which case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

Your burning question answered here.

I had to look it up after yesterday’s spirited discussion of required bourgeois accoutrements..  I’m not much of a wine guy —I’ll drink it paired with (yes, I just said “paired” - on purpose) the right food, but on its own, it’s no big deal to me.  Maybe I’m missing out.  Yes, sure, I would eat Nikki’s pizza and drink her wine.  

36 minutes ago, Elegua said:

It's amazing how far one has to go these days to find that kind of quiet. You are nicely settled in a quiet anchorage on an offshore island and the wind shifts to the NE and suddenly the private aircraft are going overhead in the landing pattern.  

I find the magic pretty close to home - on the boat. But you have to get up early because it doesn't last long. That is usually enough peace,  to reset my mental stability,...

4:52 am, anchored about 10 miles from home. 

2096308139_Dawn4-52.thumb.jpg.88fa29825d6a46dc368988c7bb5dad2a.jpg

We own a wine aerator but not because we're wine snobs. It's because we're not.

My favorite score is to find a decent red for <$5 a bottle and it's a rare day indeed that I pay more than $10. These aerators can make a $5 bottle drink like an $8 bottle and, depending on the wine, a $10 bottle.

Yes, I could just open it and let it breath for an hour but patience isn't a virtue in our household where wine is concerned.

Skipjack Sailing, my favourite old retired US Navy nuke tech, talks up Palomino de La Guajira, in eastern Colombia; discusses why he prefers hanging out in the slightly-sketchy parts of town; buys some possibly-illegal indigenous hooch; plays some Monty Python tunes on a ukulele; and more.

25 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I find the magic pretty close to home - on the boat. But you have to get up early because it doesn't last long. That is usually enough peace,  to reset my mental stability,...

It’s funny - now that I only keep my boat in a marina in the winter for security from winter storms (with the ancillary benefit of being able to get projects done that are too difficult to do when you have to row out to a mooring), I sort of hate being in a marina: it’s harder to leave, there’s all the idle chitchat that people want to have, etc. And frankly not having the private space to pee overboard when I want.  :-) Being on a mooring has spoiled me. Some days I’ll simply row out just to row out, or just to hang out.  A few hundred feet from shore changes everything...lose the cell phone, and it’s paradise...

Sometimes I’ll find a reason to climb the mast - keeos me in practice - to check on something and just to enjoy the view - totally different than being penned up in a marina 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I'm only one peninsula away from you.  I wake up early for two reasons: the only thing I like to hear is the sound of my Simplex kettle for coffee and I like to catch the am E/NE to get out of the river. 

ACtC-3dfhLgkD39nMS8jBqAvMzNFR3cp7BED_J3P

By about 8am, breakfast is done and there a light E/NE breeze.  The SW'er filled-in nicely in the afternoon. 

ACtC-3ftg1TfAdC__blEeC6MRAIh_WkMdHdoUfFX

• Like 2

Oooh, good point- I forgot the sensory experience of the morning ritual. The "pop" of bacon in the skillet, the odor and taste of quality, fresh brewed coffee. Watching the steam escape from the cup while watching the sunrise on a cool, spring morning.

This is also something not to be ruined with the crassness of human speech.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

One reason why I'm looking forward to sailing off the coast for awhile.

After spending a few weeks going down the ICW from Annapolis to Southport NC. I headed outside. It was so relaxing in comparison. Like most newbies I was afraid to leave the security of the ICW but going outside was a piece of cake compared to constantly trying to navigate a narrow channel and I wont even mention how many times I ran aground in the ICW.

And unlike sailing in the Chesapeake you aren't constantly dodging crap pots.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

In whicfh case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

A couple F-15s where using me as target practice when I was on the ICW. The first dozen times the flew directly overhead it was pretty cool. The next few dozen times it was just annoying.

56 minutes ago, Roam said:
2 hours ago, Veeger said:

In whicfh case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

A couple F-15s where using me as target practice when I was on the ICW. The first dozen times the flew directly overhead it was pretty cool. The next few dozen times it was just annoying.

Twice on visits to difft parts of northern England, I have been out for a walk on the sides of a valley only to have jet fighters scream though very close, below me.  On both occasions, the planes were less than 200 feet way at their closest, and on each occasion, the planes were actually below me.

Low-flying is one of the RAF's specialities, but it is appallingly intrusive.  On each occasion it completely spoilt my day out; I just turned back.

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

22 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

Can we please save this kind of supercilious willy-waving for PA?

This happens all the time around here.  Military aircraft stationed at coastal bases hop over to their practice ranges east of the mountains and play "top gun" in the canyons and valleys in between, then home for lunch. There have been a number of mid-air collisions over the years, including a couple of crop-dusters that got creamed.  I see the "top view" of F-15s and KC-135s all the time.  Once, an A-10 flew in between my house and barn so close that I could see the pilot's face.  

• Like 1

I’ve always felt that America is a highly militarized culture and society, whether explicitly (i.e., the number of bases everywhere), or just on the margins, woven into the subtle fabric of daily life in many places, and Hollywood movies  (and I grew up in Washington, DC - so very glad to be nowhere near there now).  If I had to hear F-15s on a regular basis while cruising, the personal would indeed become the political :-). (As Gloria Steinem or someone said)

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Elegua said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Can we please save this kind of supercilious willy-waving for PA?

That's a rather childish response to discussion about a public nuisance.

Dunno... I recall hiking in Switzerland and noticing that there always seemed to be a pair of jet fighters in the air, zooming back and forth.   Eventually, I hypothesized that they had to stay in Swiss airspace, so they had to, you know, keep turning around.  

3 minutes ago, toddster said:

Dunno... I recall hiking in Switzerland and noticing that there always seemed to be a pair of jet fighters in the air, zooming back and forth.   Eventually, I hypothesized that they had to stay in Swiss airspace, so they had to, you know, keep turning around.  

They needed slower planes. 

11 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve always felt that America is a highly militarized culture and society, whether explicitly (i.e., the number of bases everywhere), or just on the margins, woven into the subtle fabric of daily life in many places, and Hollywood movies  (and I grew up in Washington, DC - so very glad to be nowhere near there now).  If I had to hear F-15s on a regular basis while cruising, the personal would indeed become the political :-). (As Gloria Steinem or someone said)

When we get a southerly, we can hear and feel the Growlers taking off in Anacortes. I resent the noise.  

Twice on visits to difft parts of northern England, I have been out for a walk on the sides of a valley only to have jet fighters scream though very close, below me.  On both occasions, the planes were less than 200 feet way at their closest, and on each occasion, the planes were actually below me.

Low-flying is one of the RAF's specialities, but it is appallingly intrusive.  On each occasion it completely spoilt my day out; I just turned back.

It’s not like you had helicopter gun ships cruising down the Falls Rd at 3am at rooftop height or anything like that...

35 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That's a rather childish response to discussion about a public nuisance.

Think of how you framed your response.  It's CA, so you you can post how you want, but there might be other ways to get your point across. Another thread polluted by your throwing shades. 

15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Growlers can indeed  make you burp.

Yes. I have been thinking that one of these high-tech growlers might make a nice christmas present for the boat galley, but so far nobody has taken the hint.

19928.jpg

... or is that getting too close to wine aerator territory?

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

sp1.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Veeger said:

In which case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

Back in the 80's we were anchored in a quiet bay up in the Kimberley country, fishing. Engine off, gen set off, no industrial noise at all. Bliss.

Then a fucking F1-11 flying nap of the earth came over the top of us.

If we could have shot that bastard out of the sky we would have.

FKT

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, toddster said:

Yes. I have been thinking that one of these high-tech growlers might make a nice christmas present for the boat galley, but so far nobody has taken the hint.

19928.jpg

Well past it IMO.

FKT

42 minutes ago, toddster said:

19928.jpg

I don’t ever get the chance to use the word “twee” - but it applies here . (Do the Wynns have a set up like this onboard?  :-)  Branded, his-‘n-hers twee craft beer...)

47 minutes ago, toddster said:

19928.jpg

Those look like they belong in the day tank thread.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, toddster said:

19928.jpg

uKegGO64_NHL-CANUCKS_grande.jpg?v=1607726394go Canucks!

2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

It’s not like you had helicopter gun ships cruising down the Falls Rd at 3am at rooftop height or anything like that...

Different issue: that's not low-flying practice.

And also a different jurisdiction. Mercifully, neither the Irish Air Corps nor the Gardai are behaving like the occupying forces in Northern Ireland.

There are plenty of f*cked-up things about Ireland.  But thank God we don't waste money on fast jet aircraft with which military kids screw up the great outdoors.

4 hours ago, toddster said:

19928.jpg

Those look really cool, I don't give a shit what anybody thinks about my beer drinking accessories.  Who makes them?

28 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Those look really cool, I don't give a shit what anybody thinks about my beer drinking accessories.  Who makes them?

Both those and the "economy" version posted by Chester are made by Growlerwerks in Portland.  

Dang, now I'm tempted again.  There are literally four breweries within walking distance of my marina.  And there wouldn't be any empties to dispose of.  It's just that sailing alone, I really don't drink that much beer.  

5 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Back in the 80's we were anchored in a quiet bay up in the Kimberley country, fishing. Engine off, gen set off, no industrial noise at all. Bliss.

Then a fucking F1-11 flying nap of the earth came over the top of us.

If we could have shot that bastard out of the sky we would have.

FKT

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, toddster said:

Both those and the "economy" version posted by Chester are made by Growlerwerks in Portland.  

Dang, now I'm tempted again.  There are literally four breweries within walking distance of my marina.  And there wouldn't be any empties to dispose of.  It's just that sailing alone, I really don't drink that much beer.  

Well that was a fun rabbit hole.

My only concern would be foamy pours. And it looks like you need a fresh cartridge every use, or can they be used for a couple refills? Especially if you use the lowest pressure.

You shouldnt concern yourself with drinking that much beer, the 64 is only 4 pints. A man has to stay hydrated. 

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Attributed to Ben but he didn't actually say it)

On 1/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Although yeah, they are social influencers

Turns out when you’re a social influencer, you’re very much a public figure, you’ve made the choice to live your life in a very public way, and you can “social influence” some people...the...wrong...way. Very much the wrong way.

Ms. Nikki, it seems you’ve been rated on ‘hot or not’.  Well, a podiatry version of it.  Yes, wikifeet, which rates women celebrity’s feet and provides sample pics and user comments (on such unsavory details as her shoe sweat).  Are these social influencers leading people astray? 

I’m not shocked and you shouldn’t be either.  It’s the Internet.  Thanks a lot Bob Kahn, Vint Cerf, Tim Berners-Lee and the rest of you Wikiers, modern-day Encyclopédistes.  (Or should I say Encyclopodistes.)

I guess now we know about one Wynn’s feet anyway.  So it’s all good - it’s part of the world’s common knowledge set (though it does not list her shoe size.) Don’t know if his are out there somewhere in some database.  Let’s hope. Not.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, Diarmuid said:

Slice o' cheesecake from the PG-rated Wynns on Curiosity:

If you pass the 'Nikki in a bralette' cardiac stress test, the 'Nikki threatens her thumb with a machete' stress test might do for you instead. (Spoiler alert: She's pretty handy with the chopper.)

She does look quite winsome in that getup. Nice pineapples, too.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Interesting song, Ish. And a compelling response to those airborne thugs who engage in what Leon Rosselson magnificently described as "The bombs and rockets sanctified that rain down death from heaven".

I am not a fan of weaponry, but it's hard to object to the inherently defensive anti-aircraft weapons.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, Diarmuid said:

Slice o' cheesecake from the PG-rated Wynns on Curiosity:

If you pass the 'Nikki in a bralette' cardiac stress test, the 'Nikki threatens her thumb with a machete' stress test might do for you instead. (Spoiler alert: She's pretty handy with the chopper.)

Meh, wouldn't get hired as an intern at the local wet market. Such a big knife for such a small job. Wastes too much pineapple as well. 

It's another round of the men-who-travelled-around-the-world-to-kill-people-whine-about-feeling-bad show.

You glib reply is not cool. If you had bothered to watch/listen, the guy was a rescue swimmer, not a combat operative. Regardless, PTSD is like most mental illness - treatment and research is woefully underfunded.  PTSD is life-threatening and suicide rates are unacceptably high. You may be a confirmed pacifist, but at least acknowledge that even your unarmed Irish Garda or the fire brigade or any other first responders are not safe from PTSD. 

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

You glib reply is not cool. If you had bothered to watch/listen, the guy was a rescue swimmer, not a combat operative. Regardless, PTSD is like most mental illness - treatment and research is woefully underfunded.  PTSD is life-threatening and suicide rates are unacceptably high. You may be a confirmed pacifist, but at least acknowledge that even your unarmed Irish Garda or the fire brigade or any other first responders are not safe from PTSD. 

Most people in any military service are not combat personnel.  But he was still part of a massive machine which wanders the globe attacking people.

PTSD is of course real, and horrible.  But I have little sympathy for those traumatised by participation in terror gangs of any description.

And BTW, I am not a pacifist.  I support the right of self-defence, but I distinguish between defence and deploying armed forces abroad.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

It's another round of the men-who-travelled-around-the-world-to-kill-people-whine-about-feeling-bad show.

JFC, that is just the worst.  

• Like 2
On 1/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, TwoLegged said:

Went to the air show a few years ago. It was held off the beach at Bray, Co. Wicklow. A nice long promenade for the spectators and the aircraft doing their stuff a couple of miles out to sea, presumably to minimise casualties in the event of an unplanned catastrophe.

So we travelled by boat and loitered offshore, right under the play area.

All very cool and impressive, fancy manoeuvres, high-speed turns, close flying etc.

A Saab Viggen (I think) came down the coast and went vertical. Right over us, so we were looking up his tailpipe.

The noise was such that i could feel my whole body tremble.

Spectacular.

R116 goes out over my house most weekends for training around Lambay and Dublin Bay. Always brings Dara Fitzpatrick to mind. Have to say I don’t mind that noise.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Ajax said:

JFC, that is just the worst.  

No, the worst bit is the stuff like My Lai or Fallujah or Gitmo or the black prisons or the USS Vincennes

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Black Sox said:

R116 goes out over my house most weekends for training around Lambay and Dublin Bay. Always brings Dara Fitzpatrick to mind. Have to say I don’t mind that noise.

I regularly spend a bit of time at a house that R118 uses a navigational aid, and I too don't mind it.   It's intrusive, but orders of magnitude less so than low-flying jets ... and it's also not threatening.  The rescue helicopters aren't practising to bomb or shoot anyone

22 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

No, the worst bit is the stuff like My Lai or Fallujah or Gitmo or the black prisons or the USS Vincennes

And the four Blackwater mercenaries Trump pardoned last month and all the innocent wedding parties obliterated by drones.

Shock And Dismay After Trump Pardons Blackwater Guards Who Killed 14 Iraqi Civilians
December 23, 2020
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/23/949679837/shock-and-dismay-after-trump-pardons-blackwater-guards-who-killed-14-iraqi-civil

Nicholas Slatten, Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard were convicted six years ago in the killing of 14 Iraqi civilians and the wounding of 17 others. Witnesses described how the American men ambushed the civilians unprovoked, firing on Baghdad's Nisour Square with heavy gunfire and grenade launchers.

The massacre took place in 2007, when the four were working as guards for Blackwater, a private military contractor, on an assignment in Baghdad. They claimed they were fired on, but prosecutors said the Blackwater guards opened fire first. Slatten, whom prosecutors said started the shooting, was sentenced to life in prison.

There is a very dark side to many who are attracted to using weapons, including too many cops.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

You understand that when we enlist, nearly all of us do it with the intent of self-defense of our nation? We don't do it to "wander the globe and kill."

You understand that once we've taken the oath we're not given the luxury of choosing our missions? "Uhh...skipper? This seems more like aggression than self-defense. I'll sit this one out."  

If you want to hang the blame for our foreign policy failures on our political leaders who send us out on these misadventures, I'm game for that. Blaming the lowly enlisted people who get caught up in the gears of this machine while trying to uphold their oath is bullshit. 

Your worldview is so warped and twisted as to be impossible to find common ground with. Talking with you is toxic and even when discussing sailing you are perpetually combative and contrary towards practically everyone. I gain ZERO fucking benefit from interacting with you.

Into the "Ignore" bin you go, along with Cristoforo and all the other SA deplorables.

• Like 8
  • Downvote 1
15 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You understand that when we enlist, nearly all of us do it with the intent of self-defense of our nation? We don't do it to "wander the globe and kill."

You understand that once we've taken the oath we're not given the luxury of choosing our missions? "Uhh...skipper? This seems more like aggression than self-defense. I'll sit this one out."  

If you want to hang the blame for our foreign policy failures on our political leaders who send us out on these misadventures, I'm game for that. Blaming the lowly enlisted people who get caught up in the gears of this machine while trying to uphold their oath is bullshit.

^^^ This.

As one of those Commie Pinko Canuks, I have seldom been a fan of US foreign policy (a good American friend said it should be call "foreign expediency") but I am a realist and realize someone has to wield 'the big stick'. But more to the point: Ajax is 110% correct when he admonishes Two Legs and says to blame the politicians, not the enlisted man. I think this is absolutely fair in first world countries not subject to military juntas.The man in uniform has to follow the orders that come down the chain of command that ultimately originates from a civilian power. If you are going to talk My Lai, that shit is the realm of war crime, not soldiers doing their sworn duty. I know this is Sailing Anarchy but this shit really belongs in PA. So back to babes cruising and panhandling in hot places please!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Ajax, are you seriously trying to tell me that people who enlist in the US armed services do not know that they may be deployed overseas, including possibly engaging in armed combat overseas?

I don't want to presume any answer ... but if you are saying that, then you are saying that those who enlist in the US armed services are spectacularly dumb or uninformed people who have grown up completely unaware of what their armed forces do.

OTOH, if they did know, then they signed up knowing the scope of what they might  be asked to do.  There's no point in blaming political leaders, because at the insistence of both the UK and the USA, the "I was only obeying orders" defence is no defence, path or no oath: see the Nuremberg principles.

It is very sad that you call this "twisted".  The principles of responsibility for actions, and of not waging wars of aggression, are principles of international law which the USA used to actively uphold ... but you think that they are twisted.

• Like 1

Jim, the notion that "someone has to wield 'the big stick'" is a point-of-view you are entitled to hold.  It is not a point of fact or realism, but a political choice.  If you choose to back people who go around beating others with big sticks, that's your choice.

3 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

The man in uniform has to follow the orders that come down the chain of command that ultimately originates from a civilian power

Not so, Jim.

See the Nuremberg principles, esp Principle 1 "Any person who commits an act which constitutes a crime under international law is responsible therefor and liable to punishment" ... and Principle IV "The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him".

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Elegua said:

Meh, wouldn't get hired as an intern at the local wet market. Such a big knife for such a small job. Wastes too much pineapple as well. 

Apparently has other assets.