Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

53 minutes ago, TheDragon said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

I can admire his tenacity in repairing major damage, but his he-man shtick grates with me. YMMV

Well, when you see him bawling his eyes out when his dog dies while he is half the planet away you might change your mind.

Good to hear he has a heart, but that doesn't alter the fact that he seems to me to be doing a he-man show while living on a luxury catamaran in the tropics.

Sure, he got it at a big discount and has done lots of work himself, but he's not Tarzan.

À chacun son goût.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Any love for Colin and ever-changing crew on Parlay Revival? I've "enjoyed" his last year of videos, especially since, unlike me, he did not bail from Panama when Coronavirus hit, but then suffered a broken boat and a lightning strike. I'm about as completely uncool as he is cool, but still enjoy his spirit and approach to problems.

Here's the start of the broken boat saga that is ongoing at Linton Bay, near Panamarina where my boat sits forlorn.

I watched that one but no more. Wrong vibe. He might be a nice guy but - shrug.

Not fond of catamarans too, I think they're boring slabs of f/g.

FKT

This one has been plopping into my inbox

clearly I have been looking at too many youtube films abbout fixing engines so the algorithm has decided that I want to see how Bryan is setting about fixing up a hurricane damaged boat

he has had nine power boats before this  ..... and has assumed that replacing a mast and rigging is a cheap thing to do

warning here....he is no Sampson or Mads

here is his trailer

And in the case of Colin's Lagoon, a lot of structural adhesive sort of holding the interior to the hull. In a "not very well" manner.

He was hoping to get advice from Lagoon which I thought was naive. A big manufacturer is going to say "sorry we cannot" for liability reasons.

51 minutes ago, Zonker said:

And in the case of Colin's Lagoon, a lot of structural adhesive sort of holding the interior to the hull. In a "not very well" manner.

He was hoping to get advice from Lagoon which I thought was naive. A big manufacturer is going to say "sorry we cannot" for liability reasons.

Yeah I looked at the vid where they set out on the Pacific crossing only to abort due to the rigging banana'ing the hull. What was under all the interior trim/mouldings was pretty horrific.

My advice would be to run away - fast.

While it took a long time I am so glad I built my own boat. I know exactly how it's put together.

FKT

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

I think it was undetected hurricane damage

Yeah I'm sure you're right else he'd not have set out. He came across as a pretty competent person and shit happens with boats, especially floating condos built to a price that get stressed beyond design limits.

I simply wouldn't touch one with the proverbial myself if I were planning on taking it out of the 10-15 knot wind and flat water areas of the world.

FKT

One more for this document of record

seemingly hyper know nothing late thirties couple with big dog  in kiwi land buy a 40 footer

find that living in a small space is tough on a relationship

rather well editied - although a marginal excess  of talking heads

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

No tits, but a cat. Interesting boat.  Has someone posted this before? I love the dinghy. 

Yeah - seen that one before. There's a couple of others out there too.

My friend Werner made his masts like that except IIRC he used 8 staves.

It is an interesting boat.

FKT

22 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah - seen that one before. There's a couple of others out there too.

My friend Werner made his masts like that except IIRC he used 8 staves.

It is an interesting boat.

FKT

I thought the design in general was pretty unique and I haven’t seen a sheeting system like that with hinged battens, not that I know much about junk rigs. 

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

One more for this document of record

seemingly hyper know nothing late thirties couple with big dog  in kiwi land buy a 40 footer

find that living in a small space is tough on a relationship

Got about 45 seconds into that one before I could not handle it any more.  Its not that they are young and excited about traveling by sailboat.  Its that they act like idiots in the video, and somehow they must think that is going to hook someone into watching them.

Do your selves a favor and DO NOT WATCH

I thought the design in general was pretty unique and I haven’t seen a sheeting system like that with hinged battens, not that I know much about junk rigs. 

The sheeting system is a copy, conscious or not, of Tom Colvin's, and he copied it from South China Sea junk rigs, he said. Not the hinged battens though, just the double sheeting.

I have the same sheeting arrangement on my boat and really like it. You get a lot of control over the sail and by taking up on the normally lazy sheet you can force a gybe and limit the swing of the sail so it doesn't get too much speed/energy. It does make gybing pretty straightforward even for people like us who really have NFI what we're doing.

FKT

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I don't mind the excess of talking heads.  Like any other mode of video, taking heads can be fine if done well.

The problem is that these two talk like hyperactive puppies, and are accompanied by ridiculously dramatic and intrusive background music.  I gave them 6 minutes, but it didn't get any better.

4 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Got about 45 seconds into that one before I could not handle it any more.  Its not that they are young and excited about traveling by sailboat.  Its that they act like idiots in the video, and somehow they must think that is going to hook someone into watching them.

Do your selves a favor and DO NOT WATCH

Pivo - "I literally don't know what I am doing"

Also Pivo - "I didn't think it would be like this"

Pivo - "We bought a boat way too big for beginners"

Also Pivo - "I cannot believe how expensive this part is"

8 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

Seems to be some sort of movement going on, unfortunately. Saw this on instagram recently: 

1719456950_WhatsAppImage2021-01-11at17_10_11.thumb.jpeg.310456ab2b581faf8c07ec426dc56e0c.jpeg

1036938642_WhatsAppImage2021-01-11at17_10_15.thumb.jpeg.c0f5b75f0c890f18e71e62f4719e64d5.jpeg

Join the stoke!!! 

Dunno wot to think, is this what the Pardeys were talking about? 

I'm a geezer and I approve of this movement. 

• Like 3

Reminds me of a... publication? somehow affiliated with or promoted by 48°North in recent months.  However, I can't immediately find a link.

Clever... made invisible to geezers.  

32 minutes ago, toddster said:

Reminds me of a... publication? somehow affiliated with or promoted by 48°North in recent months.  However, I can't immediately find a link.

Clever... made invisible to geezers.  

Do geezers actually know what links are?  Well, they do - to a true geezer, “the links” can only mean one thing: a golf course (where apparently you wear funny clothes and shoes, drive around in a little electric scooter thing with mini wheels, and chase around a little white fucking ball in the grass?!).  So, cheer up.  You’re not a geezer.

Yet. :-)

54 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Do geezers actually know what links are?  Well, they do - to a true geezer, “the links” can only mean one thing: a golf course (where apparently you wear funny clothes and shoes, drive around in a little electric scooter thing with mini wheels, and chase around a little white fucking ball in the grass?!).  So, cheer up.  You’re not a geezer.

Yet. :-)

actually sitting in front of a computer "clicking on the links" pretty much defines the contemporary geezer, no?

2 minutes ago, chester said:

actually sitting in front of a computer "clicking on the links" pretty much defines the contemporary geezer, no?

As opposed to the youts who are stoking it? Or is it toking? I can't remember. 

24 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

If something contains word "vagabond" I already know I wont like it.

For me, it's "Not all who wander are lost" and "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." 

In my mind, both translate to "Don't hate me because I have a trust fund."

• Like 2

The latest episode of Sailing Uma isn't really my cup of tea.  It's a car trip, with a brief cave walk, but 80% car.

However, it's notable for its very high production values.  With a wide variety of well-thought-out camera angles, great lighting, excellent editing, and relatively little face-to-camera. it looks more like the output a well-staffed, highly-skilled TV production company, rather than of a couple on a boat.

This is barely recognisable from where vlogging was at six or seven years ago, when the genre was dominated by something recognisable as a video form of blogging. It's easy to see why Uma is collecting lots of freebie product placement: a vendor can rely on excellent presentation of their product.

I wonder where they are going to take this.  If they wanted to become much more commercial, I think that path would be wide open for them.

30 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

The latest episode of Sailing Uma isn't really my cup of tea.  It's a car trip, with a brief cave walk, but 80% car.

However, it's notable for its very high production values.  With a wide variety of well-thought-out camera angles, great lighting, excellent editing, and relatively little face-to-camera. it looks more like the output a well-staffed, highly-skilled TV production company, rather than of a couple on a boat.

This is barely recognisable from where vlogging was at six or seven years ago, when the genre was dominated by something recognisable as a video form of blogging. It's easy to see why Uma is collecting lots of freebie product placement: a vendor can rely on excellent presentation of their product.

I wonder where they are going to take this.  If they wanted to become much more commercial, I think that path would be wide open for them.

I’m sorry to sound negative, but that thumbnail pic just looks so cliche and corny (along with the title...leaving it behind to what, go trek across Siberia with the prospect of return uncertain?  Nope, just going for a drive.)  I fear I’m just not a good consumer...but, nice car advertisement. :-)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’m sorry to sound negative, but that thumbnail pic just looks so cliche and corny (along with the title...leaving it behind to what, go trek across Siberia with the prospect of return uncertain?  Nope, just going for a drive.)  I fear I’m just not a good consumer...but, nice car advertisement. :-)

yes, it's a classic car advert.  But v v well-produced

The "stoked" remind me more of the visitors to Westworld than a "collective of vagabonds". And yet, a strange feeling that they are also exploited by someone else... Why could this be?

I'm going to get to the bottom of this!! :ph34r:

This really isn't related but it has occurred to me that the Youtube sailboat captains are everywhere in sailing media. On various private and public sailing/cruising groups, their posts start feigning interest in the subject but quickly include the thumb to their Youtube channel. Facebook, Instagram, probably Redditt, everywhere. 

My interest in this is the print media side of sailing. Cruising World, Sail, Classic Boat UK, Good Old Boat, and many more that survived the first onslaught of print material (albeit much thinner). 

You can get your cruising on a sailboat and your fixing up of same, all on Youtube. In-depth life stories (sort of like the Pardey's in CW decades ago) of the rock stars of both cruising and all the tools of the trade of boat work magazines like Good Old Boat. It's an archive of info especially for younger people that know how to navigate the web world. 

In fact, most of the print media has a presence as well on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc(I checked). 

Does anyone know if Youtube sailing world has further diminished sailing print media? Last nail in the coffin? Or is their Youtube-etc. collaboration helping the print side? Have your subscriptions further fallen off or picking up steam? 

The Uma crew went to Architecture school, which having done so myself, explains their good eyes for editing and overall quality of their vids. Aside from Leo's rebuild of Tally Ho, it's the only sailing related YouTube channel I subscribe to.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

However, it's notable for its very high production values.  With a wide variety of well-thought-out camera angles, great lighting, excellent editing

Wow, no kidding!  The drone shot starting at 2:14 that follows them as they drive off the ferry is pretty radical.  Good camera work, I'm interested.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, guysmiley said:

The Uma crew went to Architecture school, which having done so myself, explains their good eyes for editing and overall quality of their vids. Aside from Leo's rebuild of Tally Ho, it's the only sailing related YouTube channel I subscribe to.

That explains the boat and their design skills. Do you know where they went?

31 minutes ago, deep c said:

How many architecture schools north of Atlanta?

"I finished high school there and attended a few college courses before choosing a degree and applying to a small architecture school a few miles north of Atlanta"

On 1/26/2021 at 7:21 AM, TheDragon said:

Any love for Colin and ever-changing crew on Parlay Revival? I've "enjoyed" his last year of videos, especially since, unlike me, he did not bail from Panama when Coronavirus hit, but then suffered a broken boat and a lightning strike. I'm about as completely uncool as he is cool, but still enjoy his spirit and approach to problems.

Here's the start of the broken boat saga that is ongoing at Linton Bay, near Panamarina where my boat sits forlorn.

In more socia media mashups, Colin will be the engineer crew on the next season of Below Deck Sailing Yacht.  Think reality show, Real Housewives On The Seven Seas.  Only filmed on a Perini Navi.

below-deck-sailing-season-2-bodyshot-col

https://www.bravotv.com/people/colin-macrae

2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

In more socia media mashups, Colin will be the engineer crew on the next season of Below Deck Sailing Yacht.  Think reality show, Real Housewives On The Seven Seas.  Only filmed on a Perini Navi.

below-deck-sailing-season-2-bodyshot-col

https://www.bravotv.com/people/colin-macrae

I would have thought by now one of those yoghurt pot catamaran builders would have given Colin a brand new boat to go the fuck away and stop exposing how completely inadequate and just plain down right shoddy their build quality is.

• Like 1

this is the english couple who are doing up an insane boat

however, they have done up a lot of small speed-boats and earn a living doing up camper vans - they seem to do a good job

maybe they will make it

but they should have walked away

well waded away across the mud

It has been reasonably good looking vessel back in the day (although I would leave that rear part off).

Sadly I would say that it is too far gone.

1135_SARINDA_1.jpg

Good grief. That's demented. Just a general enquiry, how do the boats off in the greenery float? Only at spring tides?

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 7:15 PM, Priscilla said:

I would have thought by now one of those yoghurt pot catamaran builders would have given Colin a brand new boat to go the fuck away and stop exposing how completely inadequate and just plain down right shoddy their build quality is.

It gets so much worse.  Flash backwards 3yrs.  "...one thing about buying a hurricane damaged boat, you just have money pouring out constantly..."

Don't think I'm going to smack talk him being on an American reality show for 6 weeks just for the pay cheque.

4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Good grief. That's demented. Just a general enquiry, how do the boats off in the greenery float? Only at spring tides?

For years now I have long suspected Dylan is a 5th Column agent, secretly sailing in beautiful places and only posts here as a bulwark to more people discovering his secret.

1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

For years now I have long suspected Dylan is a 5th Column agent, secretly sailing in beautiful places and only posts here as a bulwark to more people discovering his secret.

rumbled

I was out yesterday on the clear warm waters of the Deben

the manatees swam langoursly arund the hull while the birds of paradise flew overhead

we went to a perfect,almost coral white , mile long beach. Had a barby where we ate locally caught fish with some good  looking and young fellow yachties who played their guitars. while the gentle swimming pigs sat down to listen to the lyrics

, a few ice cold stubbies all round

then I woke up  and remembered that I am a 65 year old ugky man sailing a small diesel bug riddled 50 year old boat with a heated sentry box inelegantly stuck on near the transom

Dylan

PS I have never sailed in warm water - bit frightened to now in case I realise that I have been wasting my sailing life schlepping around this small, crinkly, cool damp island

• Like 6
22 hours ago, dylan winter said:

this is the english couple who are doing up an insane boat

however, they have done up a lot of small speed-boats and earn a living doing up camper vans - they seem to do a good job

maybe they will make it

but they should have walked away

well waded away across the mud

That boat shaped object is in even worse condition than Yaba...

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

rumbled

the manatees swam langoursly arund the hull while the birds of paradise flew overhead

we went to a perfect,almost coral white , mile long beach. Had a barby where we ate locally caught fish with some good  looking and young fellow yachties who played their guitars. while the gentle swimming pigs sat down to listen to the lyrics

then I woke up  and remembered that I am a 65 year old ugky man sailing a small diesel bug riddled 50 year old boat with a heated sentry box inelegantly stuck on near the transom

Dylan

PS I have never sailed in warm water - bit frightened to now in case I realise that I have been wasting my sailing life schlepping around this small, crinkly, cool damp island

Actually, if you watch "The Dig" on Netflix you'll see that he mixes with film stars galore as well..........It was filmed on his manor.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:12 PM, dylan winter said:

rumbled

Dylan

Don't give up your dreams Dylan, Keep sleeping !

• Like 1
On 1/18/2021 at 11:37 PM, TwoLegged said:

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

Actually they are brilliant, really make cheap plonk very very drinkable :)

On 1/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, deep c said:

My google-fu says the only NAAB Accredited program North of Atlanta is Kennesaw State in Marietta.

(Boring long read: The NAAB is the accrediting body for Architecture schools and whether or not their programs are of sufficient quality to award Professional Degrees which are a requirement to become a Licensed Architect. Basically if you want to be an Architect (actually legally protected title like Doctor) your first big step is the professional degree. Then a lengthy internship period and licensing exams.)

At times watching some of these "refit" videos I get a sudden, strange feeling that somehow I am competent and I make good life choices. 

..... I don't know. Maybe it was Utah.

• Like 2

Along with many here, I am astonished at some of the train wreck boat 'refits' that are being documented on youtube these days. People with inexhaustible reserves of optimism tackling projects that only a match would seem a sensible solution for.

But the other day, I had a bit of an epiphany. While inexplicably wasting 25mins watching the latest episode of the Yaba saga, I suddenly remembered the history of the J-Class and America's Cup challenger Endeavour. Stuck on a mudflat near Cowes during the 70'ies/80'ies, she was being kept alive by some old guy who, if memory serves correctly, lived in a run down caravan nearby, while slowly replacing the hull plates, one by one. He managed to the keep that boat alive for Elisabeth Meyer to come along and finally restore her, which in turn led to the incredible renaissance of the whole J-class...

I bet many people in the day declared that guy to be an absolute fool for wasting his time and scarce resources on a hopeless project. We can now only be thankful that he persevered...

270633_950x633f.jpg

347881_600x.jpg

• Like 8
51 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Along with many here, I am astonished at some of the train wreck boat 'refits' that are being documented on youtube these days. People with inexhaustible reserves of optimism tackling projects that only a match would seem a sensible solution for.

But the other day, I had a bit of an epiphany. While inexplicably wasting 25mins watching the latest episode of the Yaba saga, I suddenly remembered the history of the J-Class and America's Cup challenger Endeavour. Stuck on a mudflat near Cowes during the 70'ies/80'ies, she was being kept alive by some old guy who, if memory serves correctly, lived in a run down caravan nearby, while slowly replacing the hull plates, one by one. He managed to the keep that boat alive for Elisabeth Meyer to come along and finally restore her, which in turn led to the incredible renaissance of the whole J-class...

I bet many people in the day declared that guy to be an absolute fool for wasting his time and scarce resources on a hopeless project. We can now only be thankful that he persevered...

270633_950x633f.jpg

347881_600x.jpg

I think that's the trick. You have to start out with Endeavour. Not random shitbox. 

• Like 9
54 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

270633_950x633f.jpg

347881_600x.jpg

Total refit cost? :-) :-) :-)

I think that's the trick. You have to start out with Endeavour. Not random shitbox. 

Fair enough, but in those days she was considered a dinosaur with no future whatsoever...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Fair enough, but in those days she was considered a dinosaur with no future whatsoever...

I'd argue that's exactly what she is if you are not Elisabeth ************.  

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Total refit cost? :-) :-) :-)

Yes, almost all of Elizabeth Meyer's money. Direct quote from her:

“But I did not have anything like the amount of money needed to do it properly. By then Endeavour was 98 per cent of my net worth. We could charter and get a million bucks a year out of her – we hired her for $60,000 a week or $12,000 a day. But that still meant that I was running the boat to care for her, and not using her as much as I wanted and it was hard work. At times I just wish I could have afforded her and used her as a yacht

I saw her in La Paz, Mexico in 1996. Turnbuckles were as tall as I am. Lovely looking boat.

I had a look at Endeavor from the dockside in Halifax one time on her way thru, amazing boat.  Just the labour to grease all the winches would kill most of us...

5 hours ago, Zonker said:

“But I did not have anything like the amount of money needed to do it properly. By then Endeavour was 98 per cent of my net worth. We could charter and get a million bucks a year out of her – we hired her for $60,000 a week or $12,000 a day. But that still meant that I was running the boat to care for her, and not using her as much as I wanted and it was hard work. At times I just wish I could have afforded her and used her as a yacht

I saw her in La Paz, Mexico in 1996. Turnbuckles were as tall as I am. Lovely looking boat.

I’d never heard of her - definitely a big east coast money kinda thing, but a delightful story teller.

https://www.classicboat.co.uk/articles/elizabeth-meyer-queen-of-the-j-class/

She travelled with that coolest of accessories, a few cases of Veuve Clicquot, which she handed out after racing, insisting for instance that Cambria’s crew, to whom we’d lost, had an equal share to ours.”

Elizabeth has always been a sailor. “My mother Mary (a Star Class sailor) sailed in the summer. And she would put us babies in the bilge of her dinghy and go sailing. She said that once she looked down and noticed that I was beginning to drown in the water in the bottom of the boat so she said: “Someone put the baby to windward of the centreboard trunk, she’s drowning.” “

• Like 3

When I owned a photolab we had a customer who crewed on one of the J's, I think it was Endeavour. He had some great photos, he was a good photographer.

My wife and I went down to the docks to check her out, I was blown away by the level of care and the sheer size of everything. Like Steam says, turnbuckles the size of your body. I took many pictures. 

One of these days I'll go through my collection of contact sheets and find them again. Only about a thousand colour contacts, should take no time at all. 

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’d never heard of her - definitely a big east coast money kinda thing, but a delightful story teller.

https://www.classicboat.co.uk/articles/elizabeth-meyer-queen-of-the-j-class/

She travelled with that coolest of accessories, a few cases of Veuve Clicquot, which she handed out after racing, insisting for instance that Cambria’s crew, to whom we’d lost, had an equal share to ours.”

Elizabeth has always been a sailor. “My mother Mary (a Star Class sailor) sailed in the summer. And she would put us babies in the bilge of her dinghy and go sailing. She said that once she looked down and noticed that I was beginning to drown in the water in the bottom of the boat so she said: “Someone put the baby to windward of the centreboard trunk, she’s drowning.” “

Well at least MY boat didn't have a tendency to leak.  I put the daughter down beside the centerboard trunk and settee in her folding umbrella stroller.  Couldn't get out, couldn't fall out, chocked fore and aft.  Worked a treat on my Herreshoff America catboat!

19 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

It seems to be the new trend in sailing* yootoobing. 

"Ship of Theseus gets a refit in a muddy place".

*edit:  Well, sailboat yootoobing.  There's very little actual sailing, of course.

2 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

*edit:  Well, sailboat yootoobing.  There's very little actual sailing, of course.

I'm looking forward with morbid curiosity to Mads of Sail Life having to stop 'DIY'ing and actually start cruising... 180 days to go!

18 hours ago, Zonker said:

Well, Elizabeth, we have that much in common.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

I'm looking forward with morbid curiosity to Mads of Sail Life having to stop 'DIY'ing and actually start cruising... 180 days to go!

I just wanna see what happens the first time Athena gets a scratch.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dogscout said:

I just wanna see what happens the first time Athena gets a scratch.

If my memory is correct he get's horribly seasick every time he's goes sailing.

2 hours ago, cmonkey said:

If my memory is correct he get's horribly seasick every time he's goes sailing.

I want to see proof of life for Eva.  I think shes taken a runner and he just has an avatar of her in the V berth now.   
Would make a good Joaquin Phoenix movie 

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

One of the OG's of Youtube sailboat cruising is Drake Paragon.  He's been living aboard for decades, and one my favourite parts of his channel was interviewing all the characters you would find around a liveaboard anchorage.

https://www.youtube.com/c/drakeParagon/playlists?view=50&shelf_id=3

I found his videos on the Hammerhead 54 very informative.

1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

I want to see proof of life for Eva.  I think shes taken a runner and he just has an avatar of her in the V berth now.   
Would make a good Joaquin Phoenix movie 

She may have been immaculately walled up behind a bulkhead

• Like 1