Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

On 2/5/2021 at 6:48 AM, Ajax said:

 

I pray that I have more situational awareness than this when I set off for Maine next summer.

My takeaways:

  • - Too slow to prepare the ship. Weather obviously deteriorating in the distance.
  • - Too many unproductive people in the cockpit. Send the NUBs (Non-Usable Bodies) down below.
  • - Untethered (not really surprising, it's a charter boat after all. Hence the reason to send extra bodies down below where it's safe.)
  • - Failure to note the forecast? Or was this really a pop-up storm?
  • - If this was a short, pop-up storm, why not heave-to and lay below decks until it passed? The time indexes were all the same day. 

I think this was a case of "But shelter is right over there! We must reach it!"

 

If you have  sea room then head off. Stop the sail flogging and use the downwind speed to reduce apparent. That also tames the flogging sheets, they prevent safe work fwd.  If no sea room put the bow through the wind and back the sail, heave to reduce the motion. Then sometimes you can throttle the sail spiral wrapping a rope halyard top down. 

 70 knots looks to be the absolute peak gust recorded not the wind speed.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

Anyone else notice the condition of the prop when they haul out? Wonder why they couldn't power their way off...

FKT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

Nope. Nope.  IDK why but I skimmed through that and watched the bits that weren't talking heads.  And a couple of their others.  So you don't have to. It doesn't get any better.

Almost all talking heads.  Tedious Emo Talking Heads.  

Built a custom pushpit/solar arch that actually looks pretty good.  So maybe some skills there.  But it looks WAY too big for a 30-foot boat.  1000 wats solar! Really?

Discover that it's cold in winter, decide to abort trip.

Wind blows in anchorage - homemade electric thingy breaks, anchor doesn't drop,  big solar wing (?) pushes boat into rocks.

Their friends also have problems with grounding inside marinas.

They're doing it all for us.  

Thanks, but no thanks.  

 

Oh, oh... there's a blog too. Mercifully covered up by thumbnails in the video, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

"I was working in the commercial film production world and Jake was studying filmmaking. "

Guys, I have some really bad news...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toddster said:

Nope. Nope.  IDK why but I skimmed through that and watched the bits that weren't talking heads.  And a couple of their others.  So you don't have to. It doesn't get any better.

Almost all talking heads.  Tedious Emo Talking Heads.  

Built a custom pushpit/solar arch that actually looks pretty good.  So maybe some skills there.  But it looks WAY too big for a 30-foot boat.  1000 wats solar! Really?

Discover that it's cold in winter, decide to abort trip.

Wind blows in anchorage - homemade electric thingy breaks, anchor doesn't drop,  big solar wing (?) pushes boat into rocks.

Their friends also have problems with grounding inside marinas.

They're doing it all for us.  

Thanks, but no thanks.  

 

Oh, oh... there's a blog too. Mercifully covered up by thumbnails in the video, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

"I was working in the commercial film production world and Jake was studying filmmaking. "

Guys, I have some really bad news...

Yeah - I skimmed it hoping to get details of what went wrong, if their engine had run out of electrical thingies or whatever. Too many talking heads saying nothing much except about their feelings. Fuck your feelings, I want the tech data.

The boat looked fine on haulout anyway, can't see what their problem is.

Maybe someone could suggest that cleaning the prop and painting it with something like Propspeed might be of some benefit if you want to actually get any thrust from it...

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only info I could glean was from voice-over during the haul-out footage in the last minute.  Said the throttle handle broke off in his hand.  

The solar wing/sail (six panels plus sailboards on the ass of a 30-footer!) just looks like a bad idea to me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

This is why the future of sailing will decline.  These three idiot cupcakes dont have the common sense of a earthworm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone needs to asplain to them that centrifuged oyster spit does NOT create thrust...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go.  More sailing than most youtube sailing videos.  Better production values.  Cool wooden boats.  And moar tits.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

Is it possible they were aiming for some sort of homage to (and/or parody of) one of those "found footage" style of film?  Like maybe the Blair Witch project, but in a boat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

Is it possible they were aiming for some sort of homage to (and/or parody of) one of those "found footage" style of film?  Like maybe the Blair Witch project, but in a boat?

I think it was deliberately and masterfully crafted to induce depression and existential angst.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mathystuff said:

I think it was deliberately and masterfully crafted to induce depression and existential angst.

Like a poetry reading of Immanuel Kant.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Black Sails had more hot lesbian pirate sex than I've ever seen.

But the CGI ships sucked so hard.

I drove past the set in S.Africa

 

Black sails was fun to watch but not as much as Boobs and Dragons.  But I digress

 

Those 3 idiots washing up on shore was the best thing to happen to them since they got participation trophys in tee-ball.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay this is 30 seconds of nonsense. But I keep wondering where this took place? And whether it was a one-time bit of insanity that ended up on the beach...or some crazy break at the entrance of an inlet?

Starts at 0:55:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, deep c said:

Looks like going into the Ala Wai in Honolulu

Yep, Diamond Head in the distance, and the surfers in the background would be out riding Ala Moana Bowls. I'd like to see the next few minutes, if that wasn't the last wave of a set. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CapnK said:

Yep, Diamond Head in the distance, and the surfers in the background would be out riding Ala Moana Bowls. I'd like to see the next few minutes, if that wasn't the last wave of a set. :)

I've seen so much carnage there over the years when the break is closing out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy's LA to Hawaii video has popped up on the right-hand side of my YT forever, and I've avoided it. But after watching this one, there's something likeable about this guy - he's so enthusiastic that you want to root for him. Kind of going along on a wing and a prayer it seems.

 

Now he's holed up for the winter in Oriental NC, refitting his Cape Dory 28 with plans to cross the Atlantic. So he up and buys an old abandoned auto shop for $20K to live in and do the work. Not sure whether he's a genius or a nut, and he's certainly not a DIY perfectionist, but he seems to be having a great time!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Okay this is 30 seconds of nonsense. But I keep wondering where this took place? And whether it was a one-time bit of insanity that ended up on the beach...or some crazy break at the entrance of an inlet?

Starts at 0:55:

 

From another angle... Fark me!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Innocent times (2012) before people starting flooding YT with stupid reality TV type crap.

French couple cruises from Dakar to Casamance, perhaps even visiting Gambia.  

I’m sorry - this is not manufactured YT cruising bullshit.  And I’m sorry - you’ll have to look up where those places are :-)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

From another angle... Fark me!

 

I’ve been through there once, on someone else’s boat, coming from Maui - drama free. :-)

I recall hearing that at least one boat annually cuts the corner of the buoys on the approach channel and ends up in grief when conditions aren’t right......

59D5D797-7272-43D4-AEE3-7687B3ECFC54.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

...

Not sure whether he's a genius or a nut, and he's certainly not a DIY perfectionist, but he seems to be having a great time!

 

If* that were my epitaph, I'd reckon I did OK in life.

Sam never struck me as either a genius or a nut.  I think his health issues might have inspired him to "go small and go now," so he keeps the fettling to whatever will get him out there.

He's like a lot of the sailing YT channels I check in with.  They're not great cinema, but more like postcards from old acquaintances...  "Look, a postcard from Joe - seems he's still sailing that old Colander 25 round the Baltic.  Spent last summer in the Alands.  Goodonim".

 

*Notice I say "if."  My actual epitaph is more likely to say "cranky introverted singlehanding basterd spent most of his time out on that boat.  Who the hell was he again?"

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be the most cringeworthy yootoober intro scene of all time surely?  

I still cant decide if he is taking himself seriously or he is taking the absolute piss, I really hope the latter but cant help thinking the former, see what you think.

Now I may be doing him a disservice as I've only skim read bits of his posts, but he seems to say he survived some major weather singlehanding his westerly which destroyed his sail.  From this vid, it just looks like a nice sailing wind, with nowt much in the way of seas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, steveyates said:

This has to be the most cringeworthy yootoober intro scene of all time surely?  

I still cant decide if he is taking himself seriously or he is taking the absolute piss, I really hope the latter but cant help thinking the former, see what you think.

Now I may be doing him a disservice as I've only skim read bits of his posts, but he seems to say he survived some major weather singlehanding his westerly which destroyed his sail.  From this vid, it just looks like a nice sailing wind, with nowt much in the way of seas. 

Egad!

 

... it's like Wayne's World...  in middle age...   on a boat...  with (inexplicably) emojis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually this Sam Holmes character is a lot like Garth from Wayne's World. 

Gotta say that he has an interesting range of videos. In just two weeks he's posted his trip from NYC south around Hatteras (does he seem a little naive and lucky regarding weather?).  Then, in what looks like an episode of American Pickers, he purchases an old car garage in Oriental where he intends to sleep and refit his boat. Now he's just assembled a 3D printer and prints some decent-looking portlight shutters... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, steveyates said:

This has to be the most cringeworthy yootoober intro scene of all time surely?  

I still cant decide if he is taking himself seriously or he is taking the absolute piss, I really hope the latter but cant help thinking the former, see what you think.

Now I may be doing him a disservice as I've only skim read bits of his posts, but he seems to say he survived some major weather singlehanding his westerly which destroyed his sail.  From this vid, it just looks like a nice sailing wind, with nowt much in the way of seas. 

The diametrical opposite of KTL in every measure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, he's a knob.

Yes. Probably been a long time since someone tried to pull Dylan. 
 

They do seem to share a distaste for fettling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This just popped up in my Youtube feed. I do not know if this has been posted here before.

Quite a list, but a lot of the top ones are missing, see comments at the bottom of the video...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, olaf hart said:

The real thing

 

 

Makes it seem trivial, only serious weather they were off the boat in a hotel. Made it through the only questionable ice in company of three other boats and guided by Canadian coast guard icebreaker. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this, but from what they experienced, I think I could do it in my boat! Just dreaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you know the Arctic is closed to pleasure boats in Canada right now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

...prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:

  • Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters.
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast.
  • Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Just so you know the Arctic is closed to pleasure boats in Canada right now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

...prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:

  • Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters.
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast.
  • Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

Victoria has cancelled all cruise ships for 2021. That's going to be ugly in the downtown area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Victoria has cancelled all cruise ships for 2021. That's going to be ugly in the downtown area.

Canada wide, no cruise ships anywhere.  I won't miss them, they are a plague of locusts.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 8:06 AM, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

That is one of the worst videos I have ever seen.

It's pretty much exclusively selfie cam.

All the video show's is that they are idiots.

Also, hows the prop condition? Fuck me. Is it the shittier people are the more likely they are to start youtube-ing nowadays?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Makes it seem trivial, only serious weather they were off the boat in a hotel. Made it through the only questionable ice in company of three other boats and guided by Canadian coast guard icebreaker. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this, but from what they experienced, I think I could do it in my boat! Just dreaming.

Yeah, makes me feel like I’m watching some rich dude’s family summer vacation movie.  Oh wait... :-).  It somehow lacks the gravitas that you’d think a NW Passage sailing story should...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Hey they keep the cheesy gift shop stores in Gastown/Chinatown in business.

Umm, yeah, but those cheesy gift shop stores are all too often owned by the cruise lines...i.e.  Juneau, AK for example.  Just another way to separate the 'wool' from the sheep...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Veeger said:

Umm, yeah, but those cheesy gift shop stores are all too often owned by the cruise lines...i.e.  Juneau, AK for example.  Just another way to separate the 'wool' from the sheep...

 

All the local stuff here is local owned. The paper had a story of a woman who owned something like seven different shops along the main shopping road. That's a lot of bodies not working, regardless of the dreck they were selling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ishmael said:

All the local stuff here is local owned. The paper had a story of a woman who owned something like seven different shops along the main shopping road. That's a lot of bodies not working, regardless of the dreck they were selling. 

There is always collateral damage... sadly.  Regardless of ownership, the workers are the ones who get the short end of the deal.  The shop owners, the tugboat companies, the ship supply companies, everyone takes a hit.  Goobermint will find a way to make up the lost revenue on the backs of those remaining---it is the only entity that doesn't feel the pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sculpin said:

Canada wide, no cruise ships anywhere.  I won't miss them, they are a plague of locusts.

Maybe you won't, but hundreds of shops and restaurant owners and workers will miss them dearly.

It's  dramatic for many businesses all around the world, from shops, restaurants, entertainment (those monsters are full of singers, actors, etc...) to shipyards, port authorities, bus companies, travel agencies...

There's a whole industry related to cruise ships. Here in Vigo, everyone of them imply dozens of  bus tours to the Santiago Cathedral, to the wine producing valleys nearby (more shops and restaurants), etc.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Collateral damage. We have a crystal factory in the downtown, on the cruise ship traffic route. Really beautiful, artisanal stuff made by craftsmen who emigrated from Waterford, Ireland. They have been around twenty years or so. They just closed their doors because they could see no way forward without the cruise ship tourists. I will miss going by the open shop door on hot summer afternoons and watching the guys blow and shape red-hot glass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, makes me feel like I’m watching some rich dude’s family summer vacation movie.  Oh wait... :-).  It somehow lacks the gravitas that you’d think a NW Passage sailing story should...

Tough crowd here! 

I really liked it, thanks Olaf for posting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Secret Experiment said:

Tough crowd here! 

I really liked it, thanks Olaf for posting it.

they are

but some of them write rather well about video

it is like an old style  film soc

that aside...... and the film under discussion.....

blending video and stills is never easy

D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Tough crowd here! 

Well, fair enough.  We never said we’re easy to please.  :-) There’s this kind of approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayA7fYZUYwU

And then this kind of approach (which I find more appealing):

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/captain-returns-home-to-port-townsend-after-sailing-northwest-passage/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of covid we find we are watching far too many YouTube vids.

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

Between the spare fuel jugs, fenders, dinghy, stainless bits with solar panels, and goodness knows what else, it is hard to see what kind of boat it is.

Wonder if they can see the sails, or even care.

Starting to sound like a rant so I will stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Yeah. Collateral damage. We have a crystal factory in the downtown, on the cruise ship traffic route. Really beautiful, artisanal stuff made by craftsmen who emigrated from Waterford, Ireland. They have been around twenty years or so. They just closed their doors because they could see no way forward without the cruise ship tourists. I will miss going by the open shop door on hot summer afternoons and watching the guys blow and shape red-hot glass.

Well, I expect that is more due to the general lack of tourists than the cruise ships in particular.  The vast majority of cruise ship passengers get off the cruise ship and onto a bus.

Ironic that you would post that, we had a little partnership with NS crystal, displaying their crystal in some ads and on the shelf.  One of their team dropped in today to pick up the loaner materials, she commented that since the announcement they were closing business went nuts - where the hell were these people before they announced they were closing shop... 

If there is a small local business that you like, go buy something.  Otherwise when Covid-19 is just a bad memory, that business won't be there.  And tip 'til it hurts.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: NS Crystal and cruise ship tourists - their farewell email to customers stated that some of the loss was due to the ships not coming. Another piece was that doing what they did - blowing glass - was a lot more difficult with Covid restrictions in the workplace. Lot of teamwork I guess. I have bought three or four pieces a year from them over the past decade and a half. I'll miss them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well, fair enough.  We never said we’re easy to please.  :-) There’s this kind of approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayA7fYZUYwU

And then this kind of approach (which I find more appealing):

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/captain-returns-home-to-port-townsend-after-sailing-northwest-passage/

Yes, well I think I'd like the Beskell one too!  I'll chase it up, thank you.

While we're talking about Arctic adventures, here's an (old) post I like from Trevor Roberts who has sailed extensively south and north, and has overwintered in the ice several times. 

http://iron-bark.blogspot.com/2015/

Lots of details of the realities of freezing in - I wouldn't have immediately twigged that letting your mooring lines freeze into the ice could be a bad idea for when said ice breaks into large chunks each of which drift off separately into the distance.  And who'd have thought that the ice was going to come inside the vessel?  You can tell I'm from a warm climate I guess.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sculpin said:

Well, I expect that is more due to the general lack of tourists than the cruise ships in particular.  The vast majority of cruise ship passengers get off the cruise ship and onto a bus.

Ironic that you would post that, we had a little partnership with NS crystal, displaying their crystal in some ads and on the shelf.  One of their team dropped in today to pick up the loaner materials, she commented that since the announcement they were closing business went nuts - where the hell were these people before they announced they were closing shop... 

If there is a small local business that you like, go buy something.  Otherwise when Covid-19 is just a bad memory, that business won't be there.  And tip 'til it hurts.

There’s something to that.  A couple of years ago I decided to close up shop for a month and go cruising. Sent an email out to all my customers to that effect. And got flooded with so much work that I couldn’t go. :o

I’ve wondered if announcing my retirement would produce the same effect, or if everyone would just jump ship and find a new service provider?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

You are not alone.

Oftentimes I'll try out a vlog because I'm interested in the boat itself. Its performance, as well as the kinds of mods and repairs the owners find themselves doing to it as they go along.  I might even suffer through some religious or new-age nonsense, ugly kids, yoga poses or swimming pigs if I think I'm going to learn something worthwhile about the boat itself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Yes, well I think I'd like the Beskell one too!  I'll chase it up, thank you.

While we're talking about Arctic adventures, here's an (old) post I like from Trevor Roberts who has sailed extensively south and north, and has overwintered in the ice several times. 

http://iron-bark.blogspot.com/2015/

Lots of details of the realities of freezing in - I wouldn't have immediately twigged that letting your mooring lines freeze into the ice could be a bad idea for when said ice breaks into large chunks each of which drift off separately into the distance.  And who'd have thought that the ice was going to come inside the vessel?  You can tell I'm from a warm climate I guess.

 

I think this tells me all I need to know

" The joy the first sunlight brings is difficult to explain to anyone who has not spent a polar night isolated on a small vessel. "

There are some joys I can live without.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

I think this tells me all I need to know

" The joy the first sunlight brings is difficult to explain to anyone who has not spent a polar night isolated on a small vessel. "

There are some joys I can live without.

I did 2 winter voyages into the Antarctic ice pack. The good thing was, you were always up and working before dawn.

Flat grey light, -15C to -35C, day after day. Water sampling with a massive wind chill. Even a slight breeze cuts through any small crack in the layers of clothing. Bloody cold feet even in Sorells and 3 pairs of socks. Absolute magic moments after a blizzard when everything out of the wind had been covered in hoar frost and snow powder; wire ropes nor 50mm diameter and the covering as fragile as spun sugar.

Not going on deck for 2-3 days at a time because of the wind chill.

Been there, worth doing once, I went twice. That's enough. I still have my old ventile freezer suit in storage, must get rid of it. The Sorell boot liners make great slippers though.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I did 2 winter voyages into the Antarctic ice pack. The good thing was, you were always up and working before dawn.

Flat grey light, -15C to -35C, day after day. Water sampling with a massive wind chill. Even a slight breeze cuts through any small crack in the layers of clothing. Bloody cold feet even in Sorells and 3 pairs of socks. Absolute magic moments after a blizzard when everything out of the wind had been covered in hoar frost and snow powder; wire ropes nor 50mm diameter and the covering as fragile as spun sugar.

Not going on deck for 2-3 days at a time because of the wind chill.

Been there, worth doing once, I went twice. That's enough. I still have my old ventile freezer suit in storage, must get rid of it. The Sorell boot liners make great slippers though.

FKT

I come from the land that gave the world snowmobiles and Sorel's (at least before Columbia bought the brand). I've never wintered above the article circle so I don't really know what winter is. But I've wintered above 50 degrees latitude where the ice stops being slippery and the diesel freezes. It can be a really spectacular experience but it helped I was living in a "robber baron's" - or at least timber baron's house complete with its own china and silver service, and more importantly it's own hydro dam so no one gave a dam how high you turned the thermostat or how much hot water you used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've slept outside at -15C for a few nights. It was chilly.  And in Northern Ontario I walked around at -40C for a short while. It was very chilly.

I cannot imagine working outside at -25. 

OK, once I spent a long day in winter in Philadephia inspecting the "United States", a huge empty ocean liner. It was about -10 or -15C outside. Totally dark and dead ship and had been for years. So the ship was at ambient temperature. Like working inside a walk in freezer all day. Camera battery and flashlight batteries kept dying and we took turns warming the batteries in chest pockets to bring them back to life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I've slept outside at -15C for a few nights. It was chilly.  And in Northern Ontario I walked around at -40C for a short while. It was very chilly.

I cannot imagine working outside at -25.

All about the wind chill really. Sunny and no wind, no problem as long as you're sensible. 20 knots of wind and overcast, different matter.

We'd often go out in street clothes if it was only going to be a 15 minute job. You'd get cold, sure, but you'd be back inside where it was warm quickly enough that it didn't matter.

One thing we learned early was to design nearly everything going on a weather deck so the screws etc could be removed with either power tools or gloved fingers. No pissy tiny little things. Sub assemblies that could be brought inside for parts replacement. Nothing that could be frozen in. Lots of non-freezing lube. One of the reasons I prefer camlocks to screwed fittings to this day.

Deb Schapiro and Rob Bjelke wrote a good book on freezing in for the winter down on the Palmer Peninsula and the issues they had. Can't remember the title ATM and I'm away from my library. I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ages ago, I'd be driving to campus in my little Datsun at -20 to -25 every day, scraping ice off the inside of the windshield with one hand and steering with the other.  And then I'd pass this guy who worked in our building - had some sort of degenerative muscle disease - jogging to campus in tights and a toque.  Well Fuck.  Not allowed to feel sorry for myself again all damned day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in Saskatchewan, winters were brutal. Steering wheels would break and tires had a perpetual flat side. I remember working outside on my car at night at -25 without wind. We had to go warm up every 30 minutes no matter how we were dressed.

Last week in Saskatoon it was -50 C with wind chill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1982 I moved from sunny warm South Africa to Madison, Wisconsin. The first year was not too extreme, low temperature of -6F (-20C), but the next year we had -26F (-32C) during the day. I tried going outside for a minute in every piece of gear I had and my face simply froze.

This week here we have around 0F (-20C) each night for two weeks, at least it makes for nice ice if the snow would hold off. But we are much better prepared now, and a couple of years ago even had a Yellowstone winter trip that involved long walks at those temperatures.

What truly amazes me is that tiny birds manage to survive these overnight conditions, from treecreepers and wrens to nuthatches and chickadees. We even had a Louisiana waterthrush at our suet feeder for the last two days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

 

Deb Schapiro and Rob Bjelke wrote a good book on freezing in for the winter down on the Palmer Peninsula and the issues they had. Can't remember the title ATM and I'm away from my library. I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

FKT

That’s “Time on Ice” - a fine book.  Some French dudes were the first (late ‘70s?), but I’ve not gotten into their book yet (called “Kim: Mer, Soleil, Glace).  (The boat was called “Kim”.)

Trevor Robertson has a humorous anecdote about energy use when he solo wintered over in Antarctica. Trevor’s recipe for making pancakes reveals. “First melt some ice for water. To start the kerosene stove even the preheat alcohol has to be preheated next to the lantern before it will burn. Chisel off a chunk of frozen olive oil. Then melt the batter in a double boiler of water. Fry the pancake. Then melt the frozen jam in the double boiler. Then eat quick before it freezes up again.”

DB4F5621-E5D7-4C79-9CFE-3DE6A2A5023A.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

For sale awhile ago £130k, hell of a yacht.

1977-Joshua40-49hp-£130k.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've become a fan of this kid in just the past few days. He's bouncing around from solo sailing to converting a hoarder's fantasy into a shop to 3D printing boat parts. If he can live his dreams and deal with his health issues, maybe he will be the next Webb Chiles. Or maybe he will move onto other stuff. Anyway, he powers along good-naturedly, getting repairs done at an impressive rate. Maybe not like the pros would do it, but I like his confidence.  May have to drive over in the next weekend or two and look for his boat in front of the dilapidated gas station...

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I’ve become impressed with the yard.  I think they know what they are doing. old world craftsmanship. And the cost is a fraction of a  first world economy boatyard.  We may have to eat our words at the end of the day.  Maybe they spend $100k rebuilding this piece of shit.  That’s the bill to re varnish your galley every five  years on an East Bay at Hinckley. 
 

I agree, they do seem to know what they are doing. The boat is likely to be on the water long before the lovely sampson toff mega project.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That yard certainly knows skill of good enough, they are progressing fast. I just wonder if they have enough of money.  Even with cheap labour 100k is 100k.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, bajakiter said:

Because of covid we find we are watching far too many YouTube vids.

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

Between the spare fuel jugs, fenders, dinghy, stainless bits with solar panels, and goodness knows what else, it is hard to see what kind of boat it is.

Wonder if they can see the sails, or even care.

Starting to sound like a rant so I will stop.

Here is one without crap piled on deck: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I don’t know it it’s 100k, but it’s all relative.. He seems well educated and maybe he’s a trust fund baby. Good for him. Some of these types rely on their rich wives and are good at tax avoidance. like the twat on Evenstar. Not all of them are broke like the Old SeaDog and Gomer. 

Rich people make poor decisions too, the difference is they can afford their mistakes and recover from them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 12:46 AM, Cristoforo said:

I’ve become impressed with the yard.  I think they know what they are doing. old world craftsmanship. And the cost is a fraction of a  first world economy boatyard.  We may have to eat our words at the end of the day.  Maybe they spend $100k rebuilding this piece of shit.  That’s the bill to re varnish your galley every five  years on an East Bay at Hinckley. 
 

That's about the only positive aspect of the story : people getting paid for their work and specific competences. A bonus is that the bozos paying them might avoid drowning, thanks to that. IF that barge hits the water again one day, that is. If you watch the whole thing, they find yet again another rot galore near the stern. I wonder how much time it'll take for them to accept that the whole thing is beyond salvation. It's denial, now. It's getting more and more difficult for them to stop and move along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leuk said:

That's about the only positive aspect of the story : people getting paid for their work and specific competences. A bonus is that the bozos paying them might avoid drowning, thanks to that. IF that barge hits the water again one day, that is. If you watch the whole thing, they find yet again another rot galore near the stern. I wonder how much time it'll take for them to accept that the whole thing is beyond salvation. It's denial, now. It's getting more and more difficult for them to stop and move along.

I think it will get back on the water..... it will have to now that they are so deep in the project - plus it is taking up a whole slip in the yard.  They are making fast progress..... they have also changed the graphics on the channel to reflect their current immobile non sailing status;

I must say that as a keen observer of the insane economics of making sailing films in the post DVD era I found it much more interesting when you knew how much they were earning .....which could then be measured against an uninformed guess about their overheads...... in the case of Yaba it is really, really hard to guess.

 

this is the YABA patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/sailingyaba

133 patrons.....

D

 

PS came across an all but abandonned  boat on the estuary here with a tattered genoa - turns out it is a Catalina 22

I am only posting gobbets on youtube now..... it seems to work

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I am only posting gobbets on youtube now..... it seems to work

Good choice.  For those of us who grew up on print and are used to skimming pages to get to the heart of a matter, videos don’t always serve us well.  I’m not going to wade through 25+ minutes of an unknown (to me) Vlogger to see if they have something interesting or entertaining to say.  I suppose that numbers of views give some indication of what may be worth watching but even that isn’t always the case.  There are far too many Vloggers who spend much of their time speaking to camera, particularly self-professed experts and explainers who fail to be concise.

I won’t say what I think of your videos Dylan as I’ll be accused of the British sin of sucking up.  But keep up the good work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Beanie 101 said:

I won’t say what I think of your videos Dylan as I’ll be accused of the British sin of sucking up.  But keep up the good work.

You could do it in British code, and tell Dylan that his videos are not really all that bad, all things considered.

The Muricans won't know that this translates into transpondian language as "OMG! Awesome!"

Link to post
Share on other sites