Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, olaf hart said:

The real thing

 

 

Makes it seem trivial, only serious weather they were off the boat in a hotel. Made it through the only questionable ice in company of three other boats and guided by Canadian coast guard icebreaker. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this, but from what they experienced, I think I could do it in my boat! Just dreaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you know the Arctic is closed to pleasure boats in Canada right now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

...prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:

  • Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters.
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast.
  • Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Just so you know the Arctic is closed to pleasure boats in Canada right now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

...prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:

  • Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters.
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast.
  • Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

Victoria has cancelled all cruise ships for 2021. That's going to be ugly in the downtown area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Victoria has cancelled all cruise ships for 2021. That's going to be ugly in the downtown area.

Canada wide, no cruise ships anywhere.  I won't miss them, they are a plague of locusts.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 8:06 AM, Cristoforo said:

Here is a more recent one. Couple of cupcakes leave Mass in a Catalina 30 mid winter bound for Florida. Almost made it to Point Judith. 

 

That is one of the worst videos I have ever seen.

It's pretty much exclusively selfie cam.

All the video show's is that they are idiots.

Also, hows the prop condition? Fuck me. Is it the shittier people are the more likely they are to start youtube-ing nowadays?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Makes it seem trivial, only serious weather they were off the boat in a hotel. Made it through the only questionable ice in company of three other boats and guided by Canadian coast guard icebreaker. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this, but from what they experienced, I think I could do it in my boat! Just dreaming.

Yeah, makes me feel like I’m watching some rich dude’s family summer vacation movie.  Oh wait... :-).  It somehow lacks the gravitas that you’d think a NW Passage sailing story should...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Hey they keep the cheesy gift shop stores in Gastown/Chinatown in business.

Umm, yeah, but those cheesy gift shop stores are all too often owned by the cruise lines...i.e.  Juneau, AK for example.  Just another way to separate the 'wool' from the sheep...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Veeger said:

Umm, yeah, but those cheesy gift shop stores are all too often owned by the cruise lines...i.e.  Juneau, AK for example.  Just another way to separate the 'wool' from the sheep...

 

All the local stuff here is local owned. The paper had a story of a woman who owned something like seven different shops along the main shopping road. That's a lot of bodies not working, regardless of the dreck they were selling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ishmael said:

All the local stuff here is local owned. The paper had a story of a woman who owned something like seven different shops along the main shopping road. That's a lot of bodies not working, regardless of the dreck they were selling. 

There is always collateral damage... sadly.  Regardless of ownership, the workers are the ones who get the short end of the deal.  The shop owners, the tugboat companies, the ship supply companies, everyone takes a hit.  Goobermint will find a way to make up the lost revenue on the backs of those remaining---it is the only entity that doesn't feel the pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sculpin said:

Canada wide, no cruise ships anywhere.  I won't miss them, they are a plague of locusts.

Maybe you won't, but hundreds of shops and restaurant owners and workers will miss them dearly.

It's  dramatic for many businesses all around the world, from shops, restaurants, entertainment (those monsters are full of singers, actors, etc...) to shipyards, port authorities, bus companies, travel agencies...

There's a whole industry related to cruise ships. Here in Vigo, everyone of them imply dozens of  bus tours to the Santiago Cathedral, to the wine producing valleys nearby (more shops and restaurants), etc.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Collateral damage. We have a crystal factory in the downtown, on the cruise ship traffic route. Really beautiful, artisanal stuff made by craftsmen who emigrated from Waterford, Ireland. They have been around twenty years or so. They just closed their doors because they could see no way forward without the cruise ship tourists. I will miss going by the open shop door on hot summer afternoons and watching the guys blow and shape red-hot glass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, makes me feel like I’m watching some rich dude’s family summer vacation movie.  Oh wait... :-).  It somehow lacks the gravitas that you’d think a NW Passage sailing story should...

Tough crowd here! 

I really liked it, thanks Olaf for posting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Secret Experiment said:

Tough crowd here! 

I really liked it, thanks Olaf for posting it.

they are

but some of them write rather well about video

it is like an old style  film soc

that aside...... and the film under discussion.....

blending video and stills is never easy

D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Tough crowd here! 

Well, fair enough.  We never said we’re easy to please.  :-) There’s this kind of approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayA7fYZUYwU

And then this kind of approach (which I find more appealing):

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/captain-returns-home-to-port-townsend-after-sailing-northwest-passage/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of covid we find we are watching far too many YouTube vids.

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

Between the spare fuel jugs, fenders, dinghy, stainless bits with solar panels, and goodness knows what else, it is hard to see what kind of boat it is.

Wonder if they can see the sails, or even care.

Starting to sound like a rant so I will stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Yeah. Collateral damage. We have a crystal factory in the downtown, on the cruise ship traffic route. Really beautiful, artisanal stuff made by craftsmen who emigrated from Waterford, Ireland. They have been around twenty years or so. They just closed their doors because they could see no way forward without the cruise ship tourists. I will miss going by the open shop door on hot summer afternoons and watching the guys blow and shape red-hot glass.

Well, I expect that is more due to the general lack of tourists than the cruise ships in particular.  The vast majority of cruise ship passengers get off the cruise ship and onto a bus.

Ironic that you would post that, we had a little partnership with NS crystal, displaying their crystal in some ads and on the shelf.  One of their team dropped in today to pick up the loaner materials, she commented that since the announcement they were closing business went nuts - where the hell were these people before they announced they were closing shop... 

If there is a small local business that you like, go buy something.  Otherwise when Covid-19 is just a bad memory, that business won't be there.  And tip 'til it hurts.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: NS Crystal and cruise ship tourists - their farewell email to customers stated that some of the loss was due to the ships not coming. Another piece was that doing what they did - blowing glass - was a lot more difficult with Covid restrictions in the workplace. Lot of teamwork I guess. I have bought three or four pieces a year from them over the past decade and a half. I'll miss them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well, fair enough.  We never said we’re easy to please.  :-) There’s this kind of approach:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayA7fYZUYwU

And then this kind of approach (which I find more appealing):

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/captain-returns-home-to-port-townsend-after-sailing-northwest-passage/

Yes, well I think I'd like the Beskell one too!  I'll chase it up, thank you.

While we're talking about Arctic adventures, here's an (old) post I like from Trevor Roberts who has sailed extensively south and north, and has overwintered in the ice several times. 

http://iron-bark.blogspot.com/2015/

Lots of details of the realities of freezing in - I wouldn't have immediately twigged that letting your mooring lines freeze into the ice could be a bad idea for when said ice breaks into large chunks each of which drift off separately into the distance.  And who'd have thought that the ice was going to come inside the vessel?  You can tell I'm from a warm climate I guess.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sculpin said:

Well, I expect that is more due to the general lack of tourists than the cruise ships in particular.  The vast majority of cruise ship passengers get off the cruise ship and onto a bus.

Ironic that you would post that, we had a little partnership with NS crystal, displaying their crystal in some ads and on the shelf.  One of their team dropped in today to pick up the loaner materials, she commented that since the announcement they were closing business went nuts - where the hell were these people before they announced they were closing shop... 

If there is a small local business that you like, go buy something.  Otherwise when Covid-19 is just a bad memory, that business won't be there.  And tip 'til it hurts.

There’s something to that.  A couple of years ago I decided to close up shop for a month and go cruising. Sent an email out to all my customers to that effect. And got flooded with so much work that I couldn’t go. :o

I’ve wondered if announcing my retirement would produce the same effect, or if everyone would just jump ship and find a new service provider?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

You are not alone.

Oftentimes I'll try out a vlog because I'm interested in the boat itself. Its performance, as well as the kinds of mods and repairs the owners find themselves doing to it as they go along.  I might even suffer through some religious or new-age nonsense, ugly kids, yoga poses or swimming pigs if I think I'm going to learn something worthwhile about the boat itself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Yes, well I think I'd like the Beskell one too!  I'll chase it up, thank you.

While we're talking about Arctic adventures, here's an (old) post I like from Trevor Roberts who has sailed extensively south and north, and has overwintered in the ice several times. 

http://iron-bark.blogspot.com/2015/

Lots of details of the realities of freezing in - I wouldn't have immediately twigged that letting your mooring lines freeze into the ice could be a bad idea for when said ice breaks into large chunks each of which drift off separately into the distance.  And who'd have thought that the ice was going to come inside the vessel?  You can tell I'm from a warm climate I guess.

 

I think this tells me all I need to know

" The joy the first sunlight brings is difficult to explain to anyone who has not spent a polar night isolated on a small vessel. "

There are some joys I can live without.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

I think this tells me all I need to know

" The joy the first sunlight brings is difficult to explain to anyone who has not spent a polar night isolated on a small vessel. "

There are some joys I can live without.

I did 2 winter voyages into the Antarctic ice pack. The good thing was, you were always up and working before dawn.

Flat grey light, -15C to -35C, day after day. Water sampling with a massive wind chill. Even a slight breeze cuts through any small crack in the layers of clothing. Bloody cold feet even in Sorells and 3 pairs of socks. Absolute magic moments after a blizzard when everything out of the wind had been covered in hoar frost and snow powder; wire ropes nor 50mm diameter and the covering as fragile as spun sugar.

Not going on deck for 2-3 days at a time because of the wind chill.

Been there, worth doing once, I went twice. That's enough. I still have my old ventile freezer suit in storage, must get rid of it. The Sorell boot liners make great slippers though.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I did 2 winter voyages into the Antarctic ice pack. The good thing was, you were always up and working before dawn.

Flat grey light, -15C to -35C, day after day. Water sampling with a massive wind chill. Even a slight breeze cuts through any small crack in the layers of clothing. Bloody cold feet even in Sorells and 3 pairs of socks. Absolute magic moments after a blizzard when everything out of the wind had been covered in hoar frost and snow powder; wire ropes nor 50mm diameter and the covering as fragile as spun sugar.

Not going on deck for 2-3 days at a time because of the wind chill.

Been there, worth doing once, I went twice. That's enough. I still have my old ventile freezer suit in storage, must get rid of it. The Sorell boot liners make great slippers though.

FKT

I come from the land that gave the world snowmobiles and Sorel's (at least before Columbia bought the brand). I've never wintered above the article circle so I don't really know what winter is. But I've wintered above 50 degrees latitude where the ice stops being slippery and the diesel freezes. It can be a really spectacular experience but it helped I was living in a "robber baron's" - or at least timber baron's house complete with its own china and silver service, and more importantly it's own hydro dam so no one gave a dam how high you turned the thermostat or how much hot water you used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've slept outside at -15C for a few nights. It was chilly.  And in Northern Ontario I walked around at -40C for a short while. It was very chilly.

I cannot imagine working outside at -25. 

OK, once I spent a long day in winter in Philadephia inspecting the "United States", a huge empty ocean liner. It was about -10 or -15C outside. Totally dark and dead ship and had been for years. So the ship was at ambient temperature. Like working inside a walk in freezer all day. Camera battery and flashlight batteries kept dying and we took turns warming the batteries in chest pockets to bring them back to life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I've slept outside at -15C for a few nights. It was chilly.  And in Northern Ontario I walked around at -40C for a short while. It was very chilly.

I cannot imagine working outside at -25.

All about the wind chill really. Sunny and no wind, no problem as long as you're sensible. 20 knots of wind and overcast, different matter.

We'd often go out in street clothes if it was only going to be a 15 minute job. You'd get cold, sure, but you'd be back inside where it was warm quickly enough that it didn't matter.

One thing we learned early was to design nearly everything going on a weather deck so the screws etc could be removed with either power tools or gloved fingers. No pissy tiny little things. Sub assemblies that could be brought inside for parts replacement. Nothing that could be frozen in. Lots of non-freezing lube. One of the reasons I prefer camlocks to screwed fittings to this day.

Deb Schapiro and Rob Bjelke wrote a good book on freezing in for the winter down on the Palmer Peninsula and the issues they had. Can't remember the title ATM and I'm away from my library. I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ages ago, I'd be driving to campus in my little Datsun at -20 to -25 every day, scraping ice off the inside of the windshield with one hand and steering with the other.  And then I'd pass this guy who worked in our building - had some sort of degenerative muscle disease - jogging to campus in tights and a toque.  Well Fuck.  Not allowed to feel sorry for myself again all damned day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in Saskatchewan, winters were brutal. Steering wheels would break and tires had a perpetual flat side. I remember working outside on my car at night at -25 without wind. We had to go warm up every 30 minutes no matter how we were dressed.

Last week in Saskatoon it was -50 C with wind chill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1982 I moved from sunny warm South Africa to Madison, Wisconsin. The first year was not too extreme, low temperature of -6F (-20C), but the next year we had -26F (-32C) during the day. I tried going outside for a minute in every piece of gear I had and my face simply froze.

This week here we have around 0F (-20C) each night for two weeks, at least it makes for nice ice if the snow would hold off. But we are much better prepared now, and a couple of years ago even had a Yellowstone winter trip that involved long walks at those temperatures.

What truly amazes me is that tiny birds manage to survive these overnight conditions, from treecreepers and wrens to nuthatches and chickadees. We even had a Louisiana waterthrush at our suet feeder for the last two days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

 

Deb Schapiro and Rob Bjelke wrote a good book on freezing in for the winter down on the Palmer Peninsula and the issues they had. Can't remember the title ATM and I'm away from my library. I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

FKT

That’s “Time on Ice” - a fine book.  Some French dudes were the first (late ‘70s?), but I’ve not gotten into their book yet (called “Kim: Mer, Soleil, Glace).  (The boat was called “Kim”.)

Trevor Robertson has a humorous anecdote about energy use when he solo wintered over in Antarctica. Trevor’s recipe for making pancakes reveals. “First melt some ice for water. To start the kerosene stove even the preheat alcohol has to be preheated next to the lantern before it will burn. Chisel off a chunk of frozen olive oil. Then melt the batter in a double boiler of water. Fry the pancake. Then melt the frozen jam in the double boiler. Then eat quick before it freezes up again.”

DB4F5621-E5D7-4C79-9CFE-3DE6A2A5023A.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I saw their boat 'Northern Light' in Hobart back in 2003 or thereabouts. A Moitessier 'Joshua' design.

For sale awhile ago £130k, hell of a yacht.

1977-Joshua40-49hp-£130k.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

World of rot

 

 

I’ve become impressed with the yard.  I think they know what they are doing. old world craftsmanship. And the cost is a fraction of a  first world economy boatyard.  We may have to eat our words at the end of the day.  Maybe they spend $100k rebuilding this piece of shit.  That’s the bill to re varnish your galley every five  years on an East Bay at Hinckley. 
 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've become a fan of this kid in just the past few days. He's bouncing around from solo sailing to converting a hoarder's fantasy into a shop to 3D printing boat parts. If he can live his dreams and deal with his health issues, maybe he will be the next Webb Chiles. Or maybe he will move onto other stuff. Anyway, he powers along good-naturedly, getting repairs done at an impressive rate. Maybe not like the pros would do it, but I like his confidence.  May have to drive over in the next weekend or two and look for his boat in front of the dilapidated gas station...

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I’ve become impressed with the yard.  I think they know what they are doing. old world craftsmanship. And the cost is a fraction of a  first world economy boatyard.  We may have to eat our words at the end of the day.  Maybe they spend $100k rebuilding this piece of shit.  That’s the bill to re varnish your galley every five  years on an East Bay at Hinckley. 
 

I agree, they do seem to know what they are doing. The boat is likely to be on the water long before the lovely sampson toff mega project.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That yard certainly knows skill of good enough, they are progressing fast. I just wonder if they have enough of money.  Even with cheap labour 100k is 100k.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, bajakiter said:

Because of covid we find we are watching far too many YouTube vids.

Maybe it is just us but could the vloggers at least tell us the year and make of their boat at the beginning of each vid. It would take 3 seconds, if that.

Between the spare fuel jugs, fenders, dinghy, stainless bits with solar panels, and goodness knows what else, it is hard to see what kind of boat it is.

Wonder if they can see the sails, or even care.

Starting to sound like a rant so I will stop.

Here is one without crap piled on deck: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pertsa said:

That yard certainly knows skill of good enough, they are progressing fast. I just wonder if they have enough of money.  Even with cheap labour 100k is 100k.

I don’t know it it’s 100k, but it’s all relative.. He seems well educated and maybe he’s a trust fund baby. Good for him. Some of these types rely on their rich wives and are good at tax avoidance. like the twat on Evenstar. Not all of them are broke like the Old SeaDog and Gomer. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I don’t know it it’s 100k, but it’s all relative.. He seems well educated and maybe he’s a trust fund baby. Good for him. Some of these types rely on their rich wives and are good at tax avoidance. like the twat on Evenstar. Not all of them are broke like the Old SeaDog and Gomer. 

Rich people make poor decisions too, the difference is they can afford their mistakes and recover from them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 12:46 AM, Cristoforo said:

I’ve become impressed with the yard.  I think they know what they are doing. old world craftsmanship. And the cost is a fraction of a  first world economy boatyard.  We may have to eat our words at the end of the day.  Maybe they spend $100k rebuilding this piece of shit.  That’s the bill to re varnish your galley every five  years on an East Bay at Hinckley. 
 

That's about the only positive aspect of the story : people getting paid for their work and specific competences. A bonus is that the bozos paying them might avoid drowning, thanks to that. IF that barge hits the water again one day, that is. If you watch the whole thing, they find yet again another rot galore near the stern. I wonder how much time it'll take for them to accept that the whole thing is beyond salvation. It's denial, now. It's getting more and more difficult for them to stop and move along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leuk said:

That's about the only positive aspect of the story : people getting paid for their work and specific competences. A bonus is that the bozos paying them might avoid drowning, thanks to that. IF that barge hits the water again one day, that is. If you watch the whole thing, they find yet again another rot galore near the stern. I wonder how much time it'll take for them to accept that the whole thing is beyond salvation. It's denial, now. It's getting more and more difficult for them to stop and move along.

I think it will get back on the water..... it will have to now that they are so deep in the project - plus it is taking up a whole slip in the yard.  They are making fast progress..... they have also changed the graphics on the channel to reflect their current immobile non sailing status;

I must say that as a keen observer of the insane economics of making sailing films in the post DVD era I found it much more interesting when you knew how much they were earning .....which could then be measured against an uninformed guess about their overheads...... in the case of Yaba it is really, really hard to guess.

 

this is the YABA patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/sailingyaba

133 patrons.....

D

 

PS came across an all but abandonned  boat on the estuary here with a tattered genoa - turns out it is a Catalina 22

I am only posting gobbets on youtube now..... it seems to work

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I am only posting gobbets on youtube now..... it seems to work

Good choice.  For those of us who grew up on print and are used to skimming pages to get to the heart of a matter, videos don’t always serve us well.  I’m not going to wade through 25+ minutes of an unknown (to me) Vlogger to see if they have something interesting or entertaining to say.  I suppose that numbers of views give some indication of what may be worth watching but even that isn’t always the case.  There are far too many Vloggers who spend much of their time speaking to camera, particularly self-professed experts and explainers who fail to be concise.

I won’t say what I think of your videos Dylan as I’ll be accused of the British sin of sucking up.  But keep up the good work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Beanie 101 said:

I won’t say what I think of your videos Dylan as I’ll be accused of the British sin of sucking up.  But keep up the good work.

You could do it in British code, and tell Dylan that his videos are not really all that bad, all things considered.

The Muricans won't know that this translates into transpondian language as "OMG! Awesome!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dylan winter said:

 

this is the YABA patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/sailingyaba

133 patrons.....

D

 

 

Made me wonder how many Leo Sampson has - 4696! I am one of them. Here's what he says if they reach their funding goals, currently at 82%. First two sentences true so far!

If we make it to these giddying heights , TALLY HO will receive the very finest timber and materials that money can buy. Every smallest fitting will be of the finest custom cast bronze, and her paint will gleam with the light of a thousand suns. The volunteers will drink Champagne with their lunch, and the salon seats will be of the lushest red leather. When she is launched, Jon Bonham will be bought back from the dead and Led Zeppelin will play a concert as she is lowered into the water. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, Pertsa said:

World of rot

 

 

If they keep that keel full-length they will have a superb underwater battering ram to sink any other boat they hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDragon said:

If they keep that keel full-length they will have a superb underwater battering ram to sink any other boat they hit.

That only works if Yaba is still floating.

If they don't remove all the rot, then the full-length keel will be a seabed plough

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

You could do it in British code, and tell Dylan that his videos are not really all that bad, all things considered.

The Muricans won't know that this translates into transpondian language as "OMG! Awesome!"

This was apparently an early point of contention in Mum and Dad's marriage.  When thoroughly enjoying a dinner Mum had cooked, Dad would enthuse "That's not bad!" and Mum would be... not happy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

You could do it in British code, and tell Dylan that his videos are not really all that bad, all things considered.

The Muricans won't know that this translates into transpondian language as "OMG! Awesome!"

English literal translation of Japanese: “We’ll take it into close consideration.”

Actual meaning: “Forget about not - not a chance.”  (Famous exchange in US-Japan automobile import negotiations, which the ‘Muricans failed to grasp...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheDragon said:

When she is launched, Jon Bonham will be bought back from the dead and Led Zeppelin will play a concert as she is lowered into the water. 

 

Well with a promise like that how can I not join in on the patreon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, airacer said:

Here is one without crap piled on deck: 

 

a proper fucking yacht .....they sure as fuck didn;t sell everything they owned to buy a POS $5000 boat off of ebay and then spend every day fixing shit with duct tape  and gorilla glue ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

a proper fucking yacht .....they sure as fuck didn;t sell everything they owned to buy a POS $5000 boat off of ebay and then spend every day fixing shit with duct tape  and gorilla glue ;-)

Obviously, it's not a real boat unless it cost at least US$250,000.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As if anyone here needed confirmation that the Patreon donators to your average sailing channel are more interested in a vicarious reality show vs actual cruising...Bobby shifts Sailing Doodles to the Darkside.  I see a channel name change upcoming.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

As if anyone here needed confirmation that the Patreon donators to your average sailing channel are more interested in a vicarious reality show vs actual cruising...Bobby shifts Sailing Doodles to the Darkside.  I see a channel name change upcoming.

 

A promise of motorboatin' and not a bimbo in sight.  That's not going to play well for Bobby

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

As if anyone here needed confirmation that the Patreon donators to your average sailing channel are more interested in a vicarious reality show vs actual cruising...Bobby shifts Sailing Doodles to the Darkside.  I see a channel name change upcoming.

The Patreons are buying a dream of life in the sun, with bikini-clad women and without working for The Man.

Cost of fuel aside, that can be supplied as well by a power boat.  The whole blown-by-the-wind thing isn't a dealbreaker

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The whole blown-by-the-wind thing isn't a dealbreaker 

If he's being blown by the girls I quess he's not so concerned about being blown by the wind...:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RobbieP said:

If he's being blown by the girls I quess he's not so concerned about being blown by the wind...:)

That guy is so fugly he'll not be blown by anything other than industrial machinery

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corryvreckan said:
4 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That guy is so fugly he'll not be blown by anything other than industrial machinery

And people have gotten seriously hurt trying that.

Cry me a river

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That Malcolm Douglas film is very macho. All topless he-men tackling nature with bare hands stuff.

I guess it will appeal to those who like that sort of thing

1972 was a different country, they do things differently there...?

Cheers,

               W.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, I googled-up some prices on those things - they seem to be selling in the US for $1600 - $2400.  Well within dirtbag project range!

Good thing they all sold two weeks ago!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, toddster said:

Out of curiosity, I googled-up some prices on those things - they seem to be selling in the US for $1600 - $2400.  Well within dirtbag project range!

Good thing they all sold two weeks ago!

Conversion in UK 7 years ago

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I like this one
 

 

This one is impressive. It has a patch of deck space aft, which helps. The other one had no outdoor space, none. A bit weird to be out on the ocean, yet your senses don't experience it locked inside a capsule. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toddster said:

Out of curiosity, I googled-up some prices on those things - they seem to be selling in the US for $1600 - $2400.  Well within dirtbag project range!

Good thing they all sold two weeks ago!

dirt bag projects...man i'm a charter member of that group.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^Meh.  It’s missing little bar stools that pop out the front.  

I once saw a bunch of jolly Bavarians pull up in a euro-tour bus that had such a bar built-in where the luggage compartment ought to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Conversion project dream that I had 20 years ago: Take a 20' container and make a hurricane-proof bar and put it on my dock. I grew out of that bad idea.

 

You are nuts.  Natty light at 1.50 a can off your dock, you'd make a killing.!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I got delusional about navy surplus deals, it was “motorized causeway sections” that were going for next to nothing. (Plus costs of crane and trucking.) I had this idea to bolt down a couple of containers, (one for a burger bar, one for a surf shack) some astroturf and picnic tables and make a mobile concession that could turn up at whatever river beach was hot on a given day. Or just anchor 100 yards outside any local jurisdictional and make it a sail/paddle in affair. IIRC, the whole thing disassembles into small sections that can be handled by a forklift.

Fortunately, I didn’t have the cash on hand and would have had to sell the idea to a bank or investors ( :lol: ). And that was before weed was legalized.

81184e52-08bb-4b14-b.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, toddster said:

Out of curiosity, I googled-up some prices on those things - they seem to be selling in the US for $1600 - $2400.  Well within dirtbag project range!

Good thing they all sold two weeks ago!

and so it starts.......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GMiller said:

You are nuts.  Natty light at 1.50 a can off your dock, you'd make a killing.!

Haha - remember the Redneck Riviera that used to gather around the corner - a pop-up tiki bar would've been a hit!

 

7 hours ago, toddster said:

some astroturf and picnic tables

we think alike. I envisioned a plastic palm tree and 2 little bistro tables with chairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites