Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

That's what comes of letting dogs on yer bed. Ruint!

Also, I love dogs and I love boats. But IMO the two don't belong together. Unless it involves duck hunting.

• Like 2
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

That and they were fucking hideous. As a child sailing on the East Costs in the late 70s and early 80 the eye bleach was constantly required as a result.

Fortunately or sailing then moved to The Netherlands where we were largely spared from the nasty Westerly yachts with their ugly bow crease and silly keels.

As I wrote above, I have in my old age come to appreciate the merits of that design.

Anyway, surely its better to have your view cluttered with Weetabix boats than to live below sea level, wear wooden clogs, and to have to drink coffee instead of tea? ;) 

32 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That's what comes of letting dogs on yer bed. Ruint!

Also, I love dogs and I love boats. But IMO the two don't belong together. Unless it involves duck hunting.

there is much merit in your logic.  But all the dogs who I have ever lived with have firmly vetoed such ideas

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

there is much merit in your logic.  But all the dogs who I have ever lived with have firmly vetoed such ideas

Mine is sleeping at this moment as I type, in the old chair in our kitchen, attached to my hip. 

520118951_Tommysplace_.thumb.jpg.ea19a6cd26d136b0e92b10f6e24af6da.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Mine is sleeping at this moment as I type, in the old chair in our kitchen, attached to my hip. 

520118951_Tommysplace_.thumb.jpg.ea19a6cd26d136b0e92b10f6e24af6da.jpg

Kris, I LOVE your dog (s?).  Everyone of your fantastic pics, it seems, has those pups either intently focused or...you know...sleeping.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, chester said:

Kris, I LOVE your dog (s?).  Everyone of your fantastic pics, it seems, has those pups either intently focused or...you know...sleeping.

#terrierLife

• Like 1

The best description I ever heard of the Terrier personality is that they're the Marines of the dog world: wake up, dig a hole, kill something.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

$1 to $1.50 per 1,000 views seems to be about the going rate ... unless YouTube decides to just stop paying you, like it it did to Dylan Winter.

That's why the channels are now living off Patreon donations, and flogging merchandise.  La Vagabonde is launching a swimwear range.

Hey, Kanye West is a "musician" but he never actually made money doing it.

His fashion has made him worth something like $6.5 billion.

A mate of my sisters has transitioned from the youtube videos and instagram work-outs to her own Bikini line, marketed through... those channels, to, exactly her clientele. She's making even better money now, turns out, women spend a lot of money on clothes.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Dogscout said:

These channels reproduce like rabbits.  

Holy shit, in my 30 second skip through... did I just see them buy a boat with major osmosis and just paint over it.... JFC. What is it about the least qualified people doing this stuff and being the ones to publicise it??????!!!!!

Also,  have said it before and I'll say it again, it is so fucking un-genuine and people see straight through it, that if you came into this with the intention of making money through it (their first video ever made has a "buy us a beer" link) then people will see straight through it and therefor won't give money.

Edit, also they have a comment where they state "boat tour coming soon".

1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

Holy shit, in my 30 second skip through... did I just see them buy a boat with major osmosis and just paint over it.... JFC. What is it about the least qualified people doing this stuff and being the ones to publicise it??????!!!!!

Also,  have said it before and I'll say it again, it is so fucking un-genuine and people see straight through it, that if you came into this with the intention of making money through it (their first video ever made has a "buy us a beer" link) then people will see straight through it and therefor won't give money.

Edit, also they have a comment where they state "boat tour coming soon".

I have heard it said that no boat has ever sunk because of osmosis - not sure if that is true but a lot have been sent to the scrapper because of it.

These two (Brits I am afraid) have been making films  for six months or so

this is the schtick

Description We are a couple from Scotland who have decided to sell everything, buy a boat and go where the wind takes us. The Red Seas Project aims to share the beauty of the world around us and the stories of the inspiring people we meet along the way in the hope that it encourages you to find new ways to make this world a better place. You can read more about us, our journey and how you can support our project on our website www.red-seas.com. Subscribe to follow the adventure through YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and join us as we sail our floating home across the seas. If you are inspired by any of the things we have shared, please consider sending us a donation or joining our Patreon to help keep us afloat.

they saw a big cat at the top of their price  range, thought they would buy it,started working on it, moved on, then got a survey, then tried to use the survey to screw the price down. The owner refused their offer so they moved off the boat having already done work on it.

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

they saw a big cat at the top of their price  range, thought they would buy it,started working on it, moved on, then got a survey, then tried to use the survey to screw the price down. The owner refused their offer so they moved off the boat having already done work on it.

Not great business skills.

I skimmed through a few chunks of it, and the think that struck me most was how yer man Iain looks like he Hamish out of Braveheart after a quick visit to the barber

381860670_Braveheart--Hamish.png.e8e97d1c6af166b455b65770804cee49.png          956005463_Iain--RedSeas.thumb.png.d930aa1e1fa1978cc8c9bf0baba5d225.png

8 hours ago, chester said:

I think that Kris's dogs made a brilliant choice of boatman, and trained him well.  It's hard to get good staff these days, but their man runs a very fine craft and respects the right of the 4-legged owners to take the best places on the boat and in the big kennel which they let him share on land.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I think that Kris's dogs made a brilliant choice of boatman, and trained him well.  It's hard to get good staff these days, but their man runs a very fine craft and respects the right of the 4-legged owners to take the best places on the boat and in the big kennel which they let him share on land.

We adopted a rat terrier when the kids were young. Now kids are grown and wife thinks terrier is the child. He in fact is a very good boy but he will always be a landlubber!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I have heard it said that no boat has ever sunk because of osmosis - not sure if that is true but a lot have been sent to the scrapper because of it.

this is the schtick

Description We are a couple from Scotland who have decided to sell everything, buy a boat and go where the wind takes us. The Red Seas Project aims to share the beauty of the world around us and the stories of the inspiring people we meet along the way in the hope that it encourages you to find new ways to make this world a better place. You can read more about us, our journey and how you can support our project on our website www.red-seas.com. Subscribe to follow the adventure through YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and join us as we sail our floating home across the seas. If you are inspired by any of the things we have shared, please consider sending us a donation or joining our Patreon to help keep us afloat.

Two words: suncreen and sunglasses

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Two words: suncreen and sunglasses

Ah go easy on them, Israel.

They are Scottish, so they have no personal or cultural experience of sun.  They need someone to teach them about that new yellow thing in the sky

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

We adopted a rat terrier when the kids were young. Now kids are grown and wife thinks terrier is the child. He in fact is a very good boy but he will always be a landlubber!

I don't have kids, but my dog treats me as the kid.

39 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

They are Scottish, so they have no personal or cultural experience of sun.

OK, so I googled "Scottish memes" and this appeared. I swear!

Funny scottish Memes

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Not great business skills.

I skimmed through a few chunks of it, and the think that struck me most was how yer man Iain looks like he Hamish out of Braveheart after a quick visit to the barber

381860670_Braveheart--Hamish.png.e8e97d1c6af166b455b65770804cee49.png          956005463_Iain--RedSeas.thumb.png.d930aa1e1fa1978cc8c9bf0baba5d225.png

That so many really clueless people are buying boats is making me increasingly concerned for my own safety. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, robtoujours said:

That so many really clueless people are buying boats is making me increasingly concerned for my own safety. 

It's another good reason to sail far away from other boats

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

OK, so I googled "Scottish memes" and this appeared. I swear!

Funny scottish Memes

Nobody here in the UK is at all surprised by this. Happens all the time.

18 minutes ago, pierre said:

I would install one of these then

ed2f4a64-3d68-5c4f-bad1-a75084e06802

• Like 2
8 hours ago, robtoujours said:

Fortunately very few make it to Australia, and even fewer venture further south than Sydney.

As for that couple moving aboard a boat they don't own, working on it and then trying to get the price down - did they really think that would work out for them?

Agree with Dylan on the osmosis issue. Maybe it might destroy the boat eventually but I kind of doubt it. In the meantime you have a boat with dimples.

FKT

4 hours ago, Pertsa said:

I would install one of these then

ed2f4a64-3d68-5c4f-bad1-a75084e06802

Or, you can keep the fires burning.  lol

12 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Or, you can keep the fires burning.  lol

Shit on a piece of cardboard and drop it down the hole. A Yule Log's got nothing on this.

11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Shit on a piece of cardboard and drop it down the hole. A Yule Log's got nothing on this.

I hear the voice of experience 

7 hours ago, pierre said:

Well, they are called chimney pots. Do you really think Bert in Mary Poppins nips down from the rooftops every time he needs the loo?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fortunately very few make it to Australia, and even fewer venture further south than Sydney.

As for that couple moving aboard a boat they don't own, working on it and then trying to get the price down - did they really think that would work out for them?

Agree with Dylan on the osmosis issue. Maybe it might destroy the boat eventually but I kind of doubt it. In the meantime you have a boat with dimples.

FKT

It's more the issue of someone publicly being like "hey osmosis on the boat (which on this one is LARGE bubbles) damn the hull is soft here, oh well, just paint over it, no big deal".

It's another idiot who see's that and goes, "oh boat with no-longer structural hull, that doesn't matter".

It's just the anti-vax shit all over again, idiot posts video on the internet which isn't factual, idiot see's the video and agrees with it, tells everyone about it, and it spreads like cancer.

10 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

It's more the issue of someone publicly being like "hey osmosis on the boat (which on this one is LARGE bubbles) damn the hull is soft here, oh well, just paint over it, no big deal".

It's another idiot who see's that and goes, "oh boat with no-longer structural hull, that doesn't matter".

It's just the anti-vax shit all over again, idiot posts video on the internet which isn't factual, idiot see's the video and agrees with it, tells everyone about it, and it spreads like cancer.

Yeah, agree, but the flip side is some anal retentive person who goes "Oh noes the hull has small osmosis blisters, run away run away!!!" just because it's not a perfectly smooth hull.

As usual you need to ignore the extremes.

Man I know bought a boat with osmosis, got the price down a bit because of it, got quotes, decided to go the DIY approach, apparently successfully. So - shrug. I probably would have just sailed the thing myself but I'm no purist.

FKT

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah, agree, but the flip side is some anal retentive person who goes "Oh noes the hull has small osmosis blisters, run away run away!!!" just because it's not a perfectly smooth hull.

As usual you need to ignore the extremes.

Man I know bought a boat with osmosis, got the price down a bit because of it, got quotes, decided to go the DIY approach, apparently successfully. So - shrug. I probably would have just sailed the thing myself but I'm no purist.

FKT

Oh absolutely, but then very early signs of osmosis means a fairly minimal amount of work, could be a light sand back, a tiny bit of fill, epoxy barrier coating and anti-fouling, a days extra work on your usually yearly haul-out.

You let those blisters turn the hull into a golf-ball with tennis ball sized blisters... That becomes an absolutely monster job, hence why SO many boats from the 60's, 70's and 80's are landfill.

But these people are saying "just leave it" to me is somewhat mortifying, all problems are easier solved now and harder solved later.

2 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Oh absolutely, but then very early signs of osmosis means a fairly minimal amount of work, could be a light sand back, a tiny bit of fill, epoxy barrier coating and anti-fouling, a days extra work on your usually yearly haul-out.

You let those blisters turn the hull into a golf-ball with tennis ball sized blisters... That becomes an absolutely monster job, hence why SO many boats from the 60's, 70's and 80's are landfill.

But these people are saying "just leave it" to me is somewhat mortifying, all problems are easier solved now and harder solved later.

Yeah I hear you, I've got a steel boat. I noticed a couple of paint chips the other day, for sure they're getting attended to when I haul out in a month or so. Not as many as last year so that's good. The project list is already substantial though at least the antifoul is still looking good.

FKT

23 hours ago, dylan winter said:

this is the schtick

There is a whole new level of stupid here.  

As they sit and ponder the survey report he makes the bold statement.  I dont like having flares on-board.

So I'll give them my unofficial rating of 4.  She looks good enough in a bikini that I may watch further episodes, but that douchenozzle with the hipster beard and 1 beer away from a man bun brings it down below 5. 

Lets see how long this all lasts.

22 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fortunately very few make it to Australia, and even fewer venture further south to Sydney

FKT

They venture to local anchorages though! 

the quality of repairs and “modifications “ we will be seeing in yards over the next few years.. forget “bodge” how about something like “yodge” - it’s a bodge with a yt video showing how they fucked up

1 hour ago, robtoujours said:

the quality of repairs and “modifications “ we will be seeing in yards over the next few years.. forget “bodge” how about something like “yodge” - it’s a bodge with a yt video showing how they fucked up

Ah, the only real difference between at least some of them and at least some of us is, either no cameras and YouTube was available or we didn't want our mugs recorded for posterity. The amount & quality of the screwups would be a constant though. I've got a pile of parts machined to fix one of mine next time I haul out.

FKT

• Like 1
On 3/18/2021 at 12:43 AM, dylan winter said:

this is the schtick

Two gingers on a sailboat? Whatever they end up with better have lots of shade available.

4 hours ago, robtoujours said:

Vlodge.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

Two gingers on a sailboat? 

Doomed!  Doomed, I say.  :D

I wonder if in sailing there is a “shoot the moon” concept like in hearts. If one has all of the bad luck aspects at one time such as: offset companionway, bananas, gingers, losing your hat, leaving on a Friday...does that then become good luck?

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

Two gingers on a sailboat? Whatever they end up with better have lots of shade available.

Boat name suggestion: S/V Melanomads.

ETA: I am a shit human being.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 7:37 AM, dylan winter said:

Just for the record

rich as Croesus doctors - female with a lot of surgery - buy a brand new Cat and sail in Bahamas

This couple are from my town, actually nice people not the twats they seem on the video’s. Is there a YouTube school of twatness that they attend before releasing a video or just following what works to draw people in? They had a Pescott cat prior to this condomaran. They will do good for the needy on the way back to Australia.

5 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Boat name suggestion: S/V Melanomads.

ETA: I am a shit human being.

My first wife was a bat shit crazy redhead.

My eldest son is full on ginger.

Seen my share of sunburn over the years. One day the kid is playing at a friend's at the apartments behind the house. They decide to go for a swim. He looked like a boiled lobster, developed 2nd degree blisters all over his back. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

This couple are from my town, actually nice people not the twats they seem on the video’s. Is there a YouTube school of twatness that they attend before releasing a video or just following what works to draw people in? They had a Pescott cat prior to this condomaran. They will do good for the needy on the way back to Australia.

It must be weird seeing people you think you know on you tube and seeing a different side to them.

As a seasoned  observer of this genre and its multifarious manifestations I am not predicting the early arrival of patreon link. 

So why are these two going to so much effort to make the films... a lot of gear, batteries to manage, microphones and countless hours spent editing

I realise the irony me writing the above

D

46 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

It must be weird seeing people you think you know on you tube and seeing a different side to them.

As a seasoned  observer of this genre and its multifarious manifestations I am not predicting the early arrival of patreon link. 

So why are these two going to so much effort to make the films... a lot of gear, batteries to manage, microphones and countless hours spent editing

I realise the irony me writing the above

D

You've enlightened me to the Youtube financials. Now I can't watch without checking the hits and rounding out doing the math. 

I'm amazed that some very talented people (in travel type genre) are at times not making enough $$$ to pay for their dinner. Truly capable with camera, history, local knowledge, editing, all the work, for say $17 US. Ironically (or perhaps not), I haven't been watching any that are making the big money.

All my Youtube stars are working very hard for very little. 

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

They’re either very good actors and are having us on, taking the piss.  Or they’re very narcissistic.  I think the latter.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

They’re either very good actors and are having us on, taking the piss.  Or they’re very narcissistic.  I think the latter.

My take too, Jud. It's very unlikely that they are acting that well.

So my money is on the narcissism.

8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

LThey’re either very good actors and are having us on, taking the piss.  Or they’re very narcissistic.  I think the latter.

1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

My take too, Jud. It's very unlikely that they are acting that well.

So my money is on the narcissism.

I'm willing to remain blissfully un-informed on the matter. 

I made the mistake of clicking on the last narcissist-tube channel that came up for discussion.  I learned my lesson.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

The economics is insane

I do not understand the world of video. 

It's just an extreme version of the general economics of the corporate-captured web: vast profits for the platform owners, and penury for everyone else.

Much like the economics of the USA in the days of the robber barons, who were dethroned by some radical political action in the Progressive Era.  

2 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I'm willing to remain blissfully un-informed on the matter. 

I made the mistake of clicking on the last narcissist-tube channel that came up for discussion.  I learned my lesson.

Indeed.  Even a quick 15 sec at a time FF quick skip through it for a flavour of it is time you’ll never get back in life.  Like me posting this :-) :-)

Thanks, Dylan, for your Youtube shorts lately.

Sailing; it's sounds, sights and as background for your narration, are relaxing and soothing.

Looking forward to watching your latest longer bit, tonight.

Ultimately, though, if you’re drawn to asking why (why those folks make the videos they do, why they seem like the ultimate twats sailing channel), you have to go down the Feynman road of why.  Just keep asking until you get to the root force of everything.  I guess that’s sort of what this thread that Dylan started lo these many years ago is trying to do  :-)

Worth a watch (especially over YT sailing bs):

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Thanks, Dylan, for your Youtube shorts lately.

Sailing; it's sounds, sights and as background for your narration, are relaxing and soothing.

Looking forward to watching your latest longer bit, tonight.

They are an experiment with the algorithm and oldblokes.

An author on the BBC said that the web places a high value on newness. So you do a bit of work and for a while it is close enough to the top of the pile for people..... or their algorithms..... to stumble across it. They idly pick it up and may follow it to your other, much better material.   But  other people are producing stuff everyday.  it  falls like leaves onto the forest floor. Some of it is better than you created, lots of it is worse. But it all gets buried just the same. So, she said, you have to keep throwing  out leaves that will spend their few days or hours on the surface before being covered and added to the general litter of the forest floor in the hope that it will prompt them to seek the source.

She now puts out something every day.

The above was a four day jaunt. I chopped it up into 22 gobbets and scheduled you tube to post a new one every day. They were simple enough to make.

Ten days into the 22 and it is sort of working.

it was filmed on proper camera but edited in the phone....and think that I could easily make them each evening on the boat. The proper films benefit from a bit of thought and time

My son and daughter bought me a 4k drone for Christmas. I managed to crash it into my own bike. Steep learning curve.  however I have a plan for using it more like a very tall tripod rather than zooming around all over the shop. The old cameraman adage is that it is better to film something moving through the frame rather than moving the frame  around a stationary subject.

Life is great and yesterday was a bloody brilliant day on the deben....although I am looking forward to them letting me sleep on the boat

D

50 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

It's just an extreme version of the general economics of the corporate-captured web: vast profits for the platform owners, and penury for everyone else.

Much like the economics of the USA in the days of the robber barons, who were dethroned by some radical political action in the Progressive Era.  

There was once a phrase applied to the web.... content is king.....

That is now regarded as very outmoded

the controllers of the pipes are the masters of all they survey

Just as the owners of the printing presses controlled society.

Fascinating stuff.

D

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

They are performing arts amateurs in the truest sense.  Common, in my experience, among physicians.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

There was once a phrase applied to the web.... content is king.....

That is now regarded as very outmoded

the controllers of the pipes are the masters of all they survey

Just as the owners of the printing presses controlled society.

Fascinating stuff.

Fascinating indeed.  Ten years ago, it seemed that this applied largely to virtual content on the web.

Now that same model extends to most spheres of human activity.  Amazon owns a huge chunk of the retail of physical goods, and much of the data warehousing.  Uber and a few others are grabbing all the profits out of taxi services, globally.  AirBnB is not just grabbing the holiday rental market, but physically transforming cities.

Amazon and iTunes and Spotify have taken all the profit out of the music biz.

Ebay (with a few local competitors such as DoneDeal.ie) has eaten the classified ads market which used to sustain local newspapers.

The next step beyond all this economic power is political power in the real world.  Facebook has shown how it makes money out of helping dark money rig elections.  Twitter has shown how it can effectively silence a sitting head of government of a major nation.

The physical power is coming soon too.  Electric cars are increasingly coming with permanent connections to the internet, which brings the possibility of remote disabling or vehicles.  And the internet of things could create this sort of control over your home.

• Like 1

Seen my share of sunburn over the years. One day the kid is playing at a friend's at the apartments behind the house. They decide to go for a swim. He looked like a boiled lobster, developed 2nd degree blisters all over his back. 

fPUUf.jpg

I was one of those very blonde little kids -- the kind of blonde you mistake at first for albinism, until you see the blue eyes. Summer was an endless ritual of burn/peel/repeat. And now I live at 7500' and dream of sailing Baja. :( At least sunblock is better today than in the '70s. But all those early burns can't have been a good thing.

(I'm strictly a long pants and shirt person in adulthood. Still don't suntan very well.)

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

fPUUf.jpg

A long-running anecdote in our household, which my partner teases me with:

We were visiting the hobo pool at Saratoga hot springs -- a rather rustic little spa along the North Platte river. The plunge pool was lobster pot hot that day, so most visitors meandered down to outflow where it mixes with the icy river water and soaked there instead. It was shady enuf under the trees, I risked unshirting. A little boy, with the charming tactlessness of youth, said "Daddy, daddy -- that guy's so white!"

I waved and laughed: "I'm not white -- I'm Irish!" (Commitments reference) The dad (true Wyomingite) gruffly said, "He probably works for a living.":lol:

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

"He probably works for a living.":lol:

That's up there with with Alan Clark's account of Michael Jopling sneering at Michael Heseltine as "the sort of man who bought his own furniture"

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

(I'm strictly a long pants and shirt person in adulthood. Still don't suntan very well.)

My standard issue summer clothing almost always includes some type of super light hood.

Like I tell people, "You don't get a face like this from wearing sunscreen"

In the 60's/70's, I used to always have that leathery brown swim-team (speedo line) tan that we now refer to as pre-cancerous.  Latitude is everything.  At 45°N, I never (ok, rarely) burn- just a light dab of sunscreen and I'm good for the day.  But Florida or SoCal is a whole different ball game.  

First time walking down the beach in Florida, I was amazed at all the lobster-red people out radiating themselves.  "Don't those people realize how badly they're getting burned??"  Then I got back to my rental car and looked in the mirror.  "Oh..."

Plus, you know, our beaches:

• Like 3
8 hours ago, dylan winter said:

The economics is insane

I do not understand the world of video.

Nothing (or very little) to do with economics and nearly everything to do with ego.

What's so hard to figure?

Troy & Pascale, plus others I don't personally know, not so much either money or ego. They started making vids for their friends back home to show places most people never get to and it sort of grew from there as more people watched and asked them to start a patreon account etc. No idea what sort of money they make but I know they make some. Plus a bit more from linked merchandise. Another friend down here did some of the printing on the last lot of T shirts etc.

I find the current lot buying an old boat to 'do up, sail the world and bring joy into hearts while getting paid' pathetic, really.

FKT

Dunno... I could never quite figure it out a couple of decades ago when they told us that nobody needs to make anything any more because we’ll all make a living flipping each other’s burgers.  Now it seems like we don’t even need to flip burgers any more because we’ll all be each other’s celebrities.  

Nope... still can’t quite figure it out.

One way to look at the whole vlog thing is that it is a way to share and document what you are already doing and hopefully make some money while you are at it.  The old economy way of doing this would be in magazines - like the Pardeys, and Fatty Goodlander contributed to cruising magazines, and the entire Lats & Atts thing was based on it.  Telling a story and hopefully getting compensated for it.  I've written a few (insignificant) things for magazines, my attitude is that I'm doing this anyway so if I write about it and someone will pay me - bonus!!!

The big difference being that to get something published one has to get the editors to agree it is worthy, whereas YouTube has no jury... other than the general public.  If one finds the secret sauce when making their video - they are set.  People love doing unusual things and telling stories.  If suddenly there was an insane rule that Dylan couldn't use a camera - do we think that he would stop sailing?  I don't think so.  It would just impede his ability to tell a story, show birds flying, drift up a river, etc...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, sculpin said:

If suddenly there was an insane rule that Dylan couldn't use a camera - do we think that he would stop sailing?  I don't think so.  It would just impede his ability to tell a story, show birds flying, drift up a river, etc...

If such a rule applied, Dylan would still be at the head of the pack in a revived world of prose.  That man hath way with words.

• Like 1

Dylan: it was filmed on proper camera but edited in the phone....and think that I could easily make them each evening on the boat. The proper films benefit from a bit of thought and time.

Amazing that you can do some editing on the phone. Must amaze you looking back at early days in videowork. 

Please give me some tips: I plan to try more phone video. I know the results are second rate to a proper production equipment, but I'm doing it anyway. You've inspired me to attempt some 'sailing shorts'. 

I'll get an adaptor to fit my DSLR tripod(quite compact and low but stable when compressed). I'm envisioning light air, the most interesting state. Handholding results are poor even with the built in stabilization. 

Sound: This is tough with a phone. What do you recommend, I see some mic gizmos are available. The slightest wind is annoying in sound. 

I have an iphone 11 and would edit right on that. That's my gear. Amazing photo work has come from pinhole film cameras. 

8 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Dylan: it was filmed on proper camera but edited in the phone....and think that I could easily make them each evening on the boat. The proper films benefit from a bit of thought and time.

Amazing that you can do some editing on the phone. Must amaze you looking back at early days in videowork. 

Please give me some tips: I plan to try more phone video. I know the results are second rate to a proper production equipment, but I'm doing it anyway. You've inspired me to attempt some 'sailing shorts'. 

I'll get an adaptor to fit my DSLR tripod(quite compact and low but stable when compressed). I'm envisioning light air, the most interesting state. Handholding results are poor even with the built in stabilization. 

Sound: This is tough with a phone. What do you recommend, I see some mic gizmos are available. The slightest wind is annoying in sound. 

I have an iphone 11 and would edit right on that. That's my gear. Amazing photo work has come from pinhole film cameras. 

Making these goblets has been an interesting experiment

Stick it on a tripod for sure

Gives it some weight but hold the tripod in closed position, grasp it at the centre of balance with the phone on it.  hold the phone with elbow bent.

Use you arm, your legs and body to keep the horizon steady and level.

The only place harder than a boat for filming on is a horse ... horses are a real challenge.

On a boat I record a separate sound track out of the wind and down in the cockpit or behind a spray hood, or even behind another human Two minutes is more than enough.. You then have boat and sea noises without the wind. You can slide that bit of film under the shots you want and then lower the audio on the best images until the wind noise is bearable but leaning on the clean atmos

A powered stabiliser .... even cheap one is good but not essential. A stout tripod with some weight is really good.

Finally you can download a separate yet still free app that will stabilise the footage far better than the camera can

think for a second about what you want to say before firing up. If you have one shot that inspires you to get the camera out then think for a second before firing up

Mast head, hand on tiller, then to the super tanker  bow 5o feet from you. But you need to think about framing the images before whipping to them

sunny day, wake, fluttering penant, kettle boiling down below, snoozing crewman, fade to black but let the audio run for 5 secs after black, then fade that out.

I often like to keep a bit of the boat in the shot, a shroud, a bow roller, a filling sail, a sheet under tension.  You need something g moving in the shot or the camera visibly moving past a bouy or a yacht. You also have to sail stupidly close to things because your zoom is all but useless

A tiller you can hold between your legs is v handy For steering while filming.  I frighten the heck out of other sailors by getting too close.... Old racing man so proximity to boys, rocks and boats does not frighten me....that much

• Like 5

Alex is a polar explorer

Written five books about being cold

He is converting a life boat.  To take to a cold place

Skip ahead to the last 45 seconds

He says something rather interesting

I reckon this one will give you something to talk about. I feel like it's been perfectly crafted to wind you lot up.

I really didn't want to watch the whole thing, but couldn't stop myself.

Backstory: a Florida-based adventure charter operation was relocating to Puerto Rico and decided to deliver their two charter boats (Morgan 41s) and the owner's personal boat (a 1965 Chris Craft 35) in convoy, with the owner's 20-something son skippering the latter with a bunch of his friends as crew. This video is by one of the crew, who has never sailed before, but seems to be pretty good at catching fish and drinking rum.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, kass said:

I reckon this one will give you something to talk about. I feel like it's been perfectly crafted to wind you lot up.

I really didn't want to watch the whole thing, but couldn't stop myself.

Backstory: a Florida-based adventure charter operation was relocating to Puerto Rico and decided to deliver their two charter boats (Morgan 41s) and the owner's personal boat (a 1965 Chris Craft 35) in convoy, with the owner's 20-something son skippering the latter with a bunch of his friends as crew. This video is by one of the crew, who has never sailed before, but seems to be pretty good at catching fish and drinking rum.

she managed to be annoying, intriguing and titillating all at the same time!.  she actually took to whole thing pretty darn good.  the chris craft is  nice looking boat, not in best state of nick though.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

An I phone 11 and a gimbal like a zhyun smooth 4 (about 200 bucks) and you could make some pretty good films. I use a Samsung and gimbal, and edit on the phone using the kinemaster app. The films are rubbish but that's more on me than the gear. Kinemaster can have a couple of video tracks and a couple of audio tracks so you can add commentary and music etc. And then just export straight to you tube. Easy as.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Alex is a polar explorer. Skip ahead to the last 45 seconds. He says something rather interesting

I’ll bet he says, in the last 45 secs, “I should get a lass in a proper swimsuit for my thumbnails —then I’ll be absolutely raking it in like those other blokes!”

• Like 1

To add to what Dylan said, there is a sort of Scottish inflatable boat version of Dylan called Donny Wilcox who makes some nice videos of the lakes and coast of Scotland. Most recently he even manages to knock a DIY sailing rig together for his folding RIB. Relaxing viewing.

In this video he lists his video making gear. Simples: A Sony Handycam for its image stabilised wide-angle to 30x zoom, an old Gopro on a gimbal mount and a camera phone. Very effective.

Image stabilisation and a good range of focal length seem to be the most important things for a boat. I'd add a wide angle zoom lens for a DSLR or mirrorless system and a good sound recorder and mike, especially if you're planning on doing talking heads. Paying particular attention to waterproofing and storage of electronic items in sealed containers with low humidity.