Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

53 minutes ago, Bryanjb said:

LaVag has come a long way in a short time.  Good for them figuring out how to do this and make a living.

I agree...goodonem

However I do think that they hoover up a lot of the oxygen

D

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

I agree...goodonem

However I do think that they hoover up a lot of the oxygen

D

So do Google and Facebook, so what.  I chose to use Google but not Facebook.

Personally, I like Leo, enjoy his videos and send him a couple bucks.  Obviously others like and support LaVag and buying what they bought should provide thrilling videos for their patrons to enjoy.

It's all good we get to vote with our wallets.  I'm happy there is content to choose from.

• Like 1

This kid's YT formula seems to be working for him, and he's interesting to watch. Sometimes he does a rough job on things, but he's got some innovative ideas too. I'm rooting for him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Motes and planks etc.

I am not casting stones, I am pointing out blatant hypocrisy.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:42 AM, dylan winter said:

Thoughts

Nice arse

I must have fast forwarded to the wrong part of the vid (for me, almost none of these vids make it more than 3-4 rapid Fast Forwards).  

I got an old man’s body and almost a butt crack if he’d bent over further.  And some food on a pan in the galley (who films shit like this?)

Fail x2.  Next! :-)

7C9A2B7C-5477-49AC-A7DD-96ED931D0DAC.jpeg

8EFF20B2-6E63-4ECC-8032-0816AAD93979.png

44 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I must have fast forwarded to the wrong part of the vid (for me, almost none of these vids make it more than 3-4 rapid Fast Forwards).  

I got an old man’s body and almost a butt crack if he’d bent over further.  And some food on a pan in the galley (who films shit like this?)

Fail x2.  Next! :-)

7C9A2B7C-5477-49AC-A7DD-96ED931D0DAC.jpeg

8EFF20B2-6E63-4ECC-8032-0816AAD93979.png

The nice arse is close to the beginning, at 0:30.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:14 PM, Student_Driver said:

Has anyone looked at LaVag Patreon to see the announcement regarding their next boat?  Apparently the Outremer 45 will no longer provide passage for the growing family. 

I hope to be wrong nad may be the boat isn't as powerful as it seems but I am not sure he's got the skills to skipper such a boat offshore. I wouldn't sail this kind of boat offshore without extensive racing multihull experience, it can go pear shaped pretty quickly on big racing multis if you don't know what you are doing!

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I hope to be wrong nad may be the boat isn't as powerful as it seems but I am not sure he's got the skills to skipper such a boat offshore. I wouldn't sail this kind of boat offshore without extensive racing multihull experience, it can go pear shaped pretty quickly on big racing multis if you don't know what you are doing!

I can see a multinational financing a deal with LaVag for exposure, but what could the benefits be for Rapido?

Wouldn't think even serious buyers that are LaVag viewers would be their demographic?

And lawrd, Ms LaVag is already firing another crotch goblin out of her baby cannon?  Not wasting any time.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

He knows what he's doing. He's put a hell of a lot of blue/green-water miles behind him over the past 6 years.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Panoramix said:

"ryles" is playing a tiny violin just for you!

13 hours ago, Ajax said:

@dylan winter Did you know that they make pink boiler suits?!?

This fkn guy

While discovering de-laminated bulkheads, rotten core material, outdated rigging, a fucked engine, rotten timber structure, boards and rudders... "Everyone said this boat is a piece of shit, don't buy it, and I refuse to listen to them"

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I hope to be wrong and may be the boat isn't as powerful as it seems but I am not sure he's got the skills to skipper such a boat offshore.

me too. But with the wife and wee kids aboard maybe he takes it easy for a long while getting to know the boat.

• Like 1

...or maybe they hire a skipper.  

I have only watched, maybe half of half a dozen of their posts, but... They don’t project competence. One can hope that it’s all just artificial drama, I suppose.  But, on the other hand... at one time I downloaded their “book” of cruising tips.  It was like, twelve pages of scary stupid.  

BTW: One of the YouTube wannabe celebrity circumnavigators, vilified way, way up-thread... of whom I may have, a couple of years ago, made some less than flattering comments, walked through my office door today and made a purchase.  Which proves that the world is smaller and stranger than we think.

So who knows? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

He knows what he's doing. He's put a hell of a lot of blue/green-water miles behind him over the past 6 years.

From what I've heard (from people who've sailed ORMAs when that was a thing), big powerful tris live in a different world. Sure this one isn't an ORMA but I suspect that it is already in a different world from what the average amateur gets to sail. IMO being able to sail a formula 18 (or better a formula 40 for old hands!) properly on the edge is a good skill to have when you get hit by this bad puff you weren't expecting or find this weird wave that trips you. Trouble with these really fast boats is that apparent wind can shift really quick so you need a really good instinctive feel for it (much beyond knowing about the phenomenon) to make the right choice the day you have a split second to decide between carrying on the same heading, bearing away and luffing to release unwanted power. On top of this in a sea state you need to properly manage boat speed and heading to avoid digging in a wave. These are skills that very few possess.

This is what happens on these boats when you don't pay attention :

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Thats about the last boat I would choose for voyaging with a toddler and an infant.  she will be trying to keep them from flying around the  cabin while he's single handing.   I predict doom and unmitigated failure

I don't know multihulls, but shouldn't there be same problem with their previous Outremer 45?

2 hours ago, toddster said:

...or maybe they hire a skipper.  

I have only watched, maybe half of half a dozen of their posts, but... They don’t project competence. One can hope that it’s all just artificial drama, I suppose.  But, on the other hand... at one time I downloaded their “book” of cruising tips.  It was like, twelve pages of scary stupid.  

They boast over 70k miles on their web page. People will watch drama, no to much boring passage that the highlight reel is the one fish that got away.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

From what I've heard (from people who've sailed ORMAs when that was a thing), big powerful tris live in a different world. Sure this one isn't an ORMA but I suspect that it is already in a different world from what the average amateur gets to sail. IMO being able to sail a formula 18 (or better a formula 40 for old hands!) properly on the edge is a good skill to have when you get hit by this bad puff you weren't expecting or find this weird wave that trips you. Trouble with these really fast boats is that apparent wind can shift really quick so you need a really good instinctive feel for it (much beyond knowing about the phenomenon) to make the right choice the day you have a split second to decide between carrying on the same heading, bearing away and luffing to release unwanted power. On top of this in a sea state you need to properly manage boat speed and heading to avoid digging in a wave. These are skills that very few possess.

When they took Greta across the Atlantic, they had a pro skipper on board. They may not be at the competence level required, but if they understand that and import the skills as required, then they should have a fighting chance of staying upright.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I believe he will sail the boat like 40% of its potential. At least this is what I would do. With good forecast he is also able to move the spaceship between rough areas, being even more conservative. I am sure he can also summon a lot of competent help, beside the professional media crew brought to document.

Truth is he didn’t go for comfort, unless this Rapido 60 is a special kind of trimaran he would have a hard time to make it go slow.

But at this point it is not just in their hands, it never was. Goodonthem to be able to ride the wave of YouTube sailing lifestyle celebrities and still be on top of it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Upp3 said:

They boast over 70k miles on their web page. People will watch drama, no to much boring passage that the highlight reel is the one fish that got away.

People are mainly watching the horny-looking wife with the goofy bangs.

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

People are mainly watching the horny-looking wife with the goofy bangs.

people have always only really watched the horny-looking wife....the bangs are inspired by perhaps her idol, the queen of the pinup girls bettie page

Bettie Page-2.jpg

I made it through most of the video and he seems to indicate using significantly reduced sail area to maintain a higher margin of safety. In that case the advantage of the big tri will be in light winds with full sails where it should be faster than the cat. In heavier weather downshifting to keep everything safe would imply performance not much different than the cat, the advantage being the increased waterline. They seem to think that the tri should be easier to single hand than the old boat. I have minimal experience with these types of craft, but that sounds optimistic.

Another issue is having two kids, a lot of work for just one parent to handle, especially since the older boy is very mobile. Adding help would be problematic on a two cabin boat with a family of 4, two of which are very young kids. How much extra would you have to pay a professional sailor with that scenario?

In the end it should work out well from a youtube perspective. What makes these channels successful, after you get past the beautiful young women in tiny bikinis, is something different and challenging. 

I suspect that having cameras on the outer hulls filming the goings on in the middle at all times will make filming and production a lot more efficient. And serial film production is really what this whole operation is all about. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chester said:

people have always only really watched the horny-looking wife....the bangs are inspired by perhaps her idol, the queen of the pinup girls bettie page

Bettie Page-2.jpg

By God, you're right!

Bettie Page Fitness (@BettiePageFit) | Twitter

On 6/8/2021 at 5:42 AM, CapnK said:

So the Vags, despite paying high profile, multi-media public lip service to being "woke" and "green" by toting scowling Greta across the Atlantic so that she could scold Americans from Europe (among other, subtler professions of their belief system), have now upped the consumerist ante so far that they will undoubtedly rule the niche forever.
All Hail the King and Queen of the Millennial Video Sailing Lifestyle, out there on ever larger, more-consuming giant plastic petroleum-based non-renewable boats constructed in third world countries, busily making New Consumers For Life while giving lip service to the anti-carbon, anti-coal, anti-everything they are, have, and use, all from their sparkly new three-hulled bully pulpit, complete with a custom "Earthy vibe" interior of bamboo and linen...

La Hypocrisy.

You're taking this shit way too seriously.  lol.   

20 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

And lawrd, Ms LaVag is already firing another crotch goblin out of her baby cannon?  Not wasting any time.

Finally, after 94+ pages, some amusement.

I confess that I haven't the patience to watch all of any really of the videos, I find the people in them to be shallow and boring beyond belief, and have yet to see one for whose content I would pay. I also confess that I may glance here once every 3-4 months. That's just me, I suppose.

But the "crotch goblin" comment? Pure gold. Glad I tuned in, if just for that. I could could drink with you, sir, I suspect, and have a nice time.

Thanks!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, steele said:

I made it through most of the video and he seems to indicate using significantly reduced sail area to maintain a higher margin of safety. In that case the advantage of the big tri will be in light winds with full sails where it should be faster than the cat. In heavier weather downshifting to keep everything safe would imply performance not much different than the cat, the advantage being the increased waterline. They seem to think that the tri should be easier to single hand than the old boat. I have minimal experience with these types of craft, but that sounds optimistic.

Another issue is having two kids, a lot of work for just one parent to handle, especially since the older boy is very mobile. Adding help would be problematic on a two cabin boat with a family of 4, two of which are very young kids. How much extra would you have to pay a professional sailor with that scenario?

In the end it should work out well from a youtube perspective. What makes these channels successful, after you get past the beautiful young women in tiny bikinis, is something different and challenging. 

I suspect the success of this whole strategy hinges on the effectiveness of obstetric care in Vietnam in the middle of the pandemic.

Hope they have enough sense to take care of things in Australia before Riley is sucked into the build…

16 hours ago, Panoramix said:

This is what happens on these boats when you don't pay attention :

No. That's what happens when you're pushing balls to the wall. Let's at least be somewhat realistic here.

I've watched most of their videos from the beginning. He has become a good sailor over the years. That's clear if you're actually following along and not just lobbing shots. He's smart, he puts a lot of planning time in, works hard on and with the boat, and is very capable in terms of seamanship. And more importantly, as already mentioned above - he's still humble enough to recruit help where and when it's needed.

I'm certainly not saying nothing will go wrong. But your analogies and "concerns" that spring from them are a bit ridiculous for what they are doing.

Just sayin'.

• Like 7
On 6/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Gold - buy this man a drink :lol:

• Like 1

He said during the video he wants to sail fast to safe anchorages and seems to grasp the horse he has picked to ride (boat and crew).  I'm w/ the Smackster, I think you always take a chance when you cut the lines and head out but Riley seems to be pretty level headed and who the fuck wouldn't want to have a Rapido in their quiver?????

• Like 2
4 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

who the fuck wouldn't want to have a Rapido in their quiver?????

Me. Totally not the type of boat I'd want regardless of whether it was free or cost money.

FKT

• Like 2
10 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I've watched most of their videos from the beginning. He has become a good sailor over the years. That's clear if you're actually following along and not just lobbing shots. He's smart, he puts a lot of planning time in, works hard on and with the boat, and is very capable in terms of seamanship. And more importantly, as already mentioned above - he's still humble enough to recruit help where and when it's needed.

I'm certainly not saying nothing will go wrong. But your analogies and "concerns" that spring from them are a bit ridiculous for what they are doing.

Just sayin'.

I agree. I haven’t watched too much of them but when I have I have been impressed with his explanations of his thinking and what he says he knows and doesn’t know. The channel is not my cup of tea, but I like the guy and credit due, he’s been on top all the way.

having said that, I just took a peak, and they have serious hair problems on lavag these days. Both have bangs now. Not good. Not good at all.

B681362A-5E12-409E-B940-C996945ED645.jpeg

TRIMARAN with a very young family?

Anasazi racing has that box ticked. after their carbon open 40 started 10 years ago this month

IMG_1290.jpg

they been dismasted, moved to a cat and now a trimaran. oh and a few more kids too.

I'm really glad that they not gone the patreon youtube route, tempting as it must have been for the money.

https://anasaziracing.blogspot.com/

now on

https://www.instagram.com/somirasao/?ref=badge

• Like 2

In South Africa sometimes builders can't get what you'd want them to get.

So they... improvise. Like the fabbed I beam. Like maybe you can't get an I beam with properties that suit the design, but if you're M&M you email the builder and say "hey what I beams can your local steel supplier get you".

But labour is CHEAP in S. Africa. So paying a guy to weld a big old I-beam up might make sense.

18 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I've watched most of their videos from the beginning. He has become a good sailor over the years.

I agree with Smack.  There is a lot of unfounded criticism of La Vagabonde here, because they are not yer standard Florida-boat-short-hops-around-the Caribbean video merchants.  They have put on a lot of sea miles, including I think 4 Atlantic crossings, and as Smack notes, they have grown a lot as sailors.  The new boat's launch is probably a year off, which is plenty of time for some multihull training.

So I think the evidence points to them making wise decisions about how to sail the trimaran.  Sure, it's a beast and it's a big beast, but I think Riley shows good judgement these days in knowing what he doesn't know.

There's a lot of hate for them on SA from people who made their boat money in other ways, and seem to have a sort of class prejudice against this pair.  I can't warm to either of Riley or Elayna, but I skim-watch their videos because I admire them for what they have achieved.  They are a pair of working-class kids with nothing who got a boat through Riley's hard work on the oil rigs, which he saved rather than burning on fast living.  Then they turned out to be able to not just make popular videos, but to monetise them so successfully that they are now making their second big step up in boats.

So I say goodonem.    And that's not what I say for the perves upthread making crude comments about Elayna. :( 

• Like 11
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

including I think 4 Atlantic crossings, and as Smack notes, they have grown a lot as sailors.  The new boat's launch is probably a year off, which is plenty of time for some multihull training.

Three of those crossings have been done with multihull. First one Riley fucked his neck, second one in North Atlantic in November. I don't think they are going to get better training while the build is ongoing than what they already had.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jvodan said:

Sailing newbie with the sailing youtube dream copes a dose of reality. " I thought sailing was peaceful but ..... sob sob"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwWL_hjx7I

So - average conditions crossing Bass Strait in a boat they didn't know how to sail and had engine problems. Lots of drama but basically nothing that was outside a reasonable expectation.

And no, you can't expect people to come rescue you whenever you feel a bit scared.

FKT

• Like 2

Sam Holmes is the anti-Rimas. Left out of Oriental NC last Saturday, waited an hour in Beaufort for the tide to change then headed straight out into the night on his solo crossing. Most people, I think, would have stopped in Beaufort overnight for a nice meal and last goodbyes with loved ones, and headed out in the morning. But Sam seems mission-driven in a Tom Sawyer kind of way. Hope his homebrew rigging doesn't get him into any trouble.

Looks like it's taking a day longer to reach Bermuda than he projected:

https://share.garmin.com/SamHolmes

image.png.52bf330729df00389600be8a5c17b5d4.png

12 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I grudgingly admit that I like the pin-up girl/1950's aesthetic.

31 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Sam Holmes is the anti-Rimas. Left out of Oriental NC last Saturday, waited an hour in Beaufort for the tide to change then headed straight out into the night on his solo crossing. Most people, I think, would have stopped in Beaufort overnight for a nice meal and last goodbyes with loved ones, and headed out in the morning. But Sam seems mission-driven in a Tom Sawyer kind of way. Hope his homebrew rigging doesn't get him into any trouble.

He doesn't make the most exciting videos, but I'm usually much more interested in what Sam is up to than Riley.  Gotta admit Riley has done far more sea miles than I ever have/will, but I'd much rather have a beer and swap stories with Sam.

Meanwhile, in other non-boob related videos, I was watching Roger Barnes recently - is that Vincent Riou messing around in little boats?  (on the right at 26:18).  If it is, I somehow find that very cool.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, chester said:

it's not the look i object to!

I had to watch with the sound off. Does she "dress up for Daddy" like this often?

17 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Three of those crossings have been done with multihull. First one Riley fucked his neck, second one in North Atlantic in November. I don't think they are going to get better training while the build is ongoing than what they already had.

Fair point, Upp3.  They are certainly not starting from zero.   I was just thinking of the comment upthread by @Panoramix that v fast tris need special skills, because apparent wind can shift so rapidly.  I don't have any experience myself such boats, but that made sense to me.  So I like the idea of some high-performance multi training before upgrading from a boat that mostly does 12 knots to one that can sustain 25 knots.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2021 at 3:06 AM, Pantouf said:

Spotted in Palma de Mallorca. Initially I though Forest Gump and his shrimping boat "Jenny" arrived in Palma, but it is the Rapido 50 (I blanked the name of the boat, for privacy reasons). It also looks a bit weird with that short, temporary mast.

I am hoping to see someone on board soon, so I can maybe ask to see the boat.

Rapido50Palma3.thumb.jpg.c7c00d9eb39d36eed912f33d5c2aca21.jpgRapido50Palma2.thumb.jpg.e61c398e8fac2e31b23ea43549e77372.jpgRapido50Palma1.thumb.jpg.6bb7c0c8f5573c665589fe24f2f459fd.jpg

On 6/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, Israel Hands said:

On 6/11/2021 at 8:32 AM, Corryvreckan said:

He doesn't make the most exciting videos, but I'm usually much more interested in what Sam is up to than Riley.  Gotta admit Riley has done far more sea miles than I ever have/will, but I'd much rather have a beer and swap stories with Sam.

Meanwhile, in other non-boob related videos, I was watching Roger Barnes recently - is that Vincent Riou messing around in little boats?  (on the right at 26:18).  If it is, I somehow find that very cool.

God protects Sam Holmes. Or Poseidon or Thor or somebody.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:53 AM, Israel Hands said:

Stopped to say goodbye to friends? I dont think Sam has any friends lol. Bit of a loner, i like him though. He posted a live video from Bermuda the other day so he's ok.

• Like 1

youtube algorithms working overtime for me now

look forward to seeing the SA armchair critics assessment of this lineup (he is a pilot, and seemingly a very patient man)

test 

Every female TV reporter I have met has been pushy, pushy pushy.  She seems typical of the genre and will likely be ringmaster of this little circus.  I don't envy him.

4 hours ago, shebeen said:

youtube algorithms working overtime for me now

look forward to seeing the SA armchair critics assessment of this lineup (he is a pilot, and seemingly a very patient man)

test 

This isn't "I quit my soul grinding office job in marketing and bought a sailboat to search for meaning and personal growth"

This is  "I quit my obscenely lucrative, enjoyable vocation of flying multi-million dollar aircraft and bought a large, gorgeous yacht to go fucking off around the world."

This is hardly chucking it all to go sailing.

They probably had a combined income around 300k so they have given that up, plus their ritzy apartment.  He probably has no concept of having her around 24/7.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, savoir said:

They probably had a combined income around 300k so they have given that up, plus their ritzy apartment.  He probably has no concept of having her around 24/7.

I give it 9 months before they loathe each other. Remember, no matter how beautiful she is some guy, some where is sick of her bullshit.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, savoir said:

Every desirable woman is somebody else’s pain in the ass. 

Back to the Wildlings kids-

So they've bought what appears to be a Sailcraft Cherokee 35 cat:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cherokee-35

It some of their videos, it shows massive, thick, wooden rudders. This boat seems *heavy.*  Will it sail worth a fart?  I kind of like the appearance and it's friggin' huge but I'm skeptical of its sailing performance. It makes me think of a Heavenly Twins on steroids.

The boat is equipped with a Mercedes diesel. This seems like a whole new level in Unobtanium parts that will make Volvo engine parts look cheap and plentiful.

Without discussing the merits of whether they should have bought the boat, is the design itself OK or is it just a huge dock-o-minium?

Norwegian storm-seeker Erik Aanderaa has joined the ranks of sailing vloggers who collect freebies off gear suppliers.  in this case, it's a whole new Raymarine electronics setup, with the stunning bonus of boatshow-style step-aboard mats with Raymarine branding.

I guess this is the payoff for all his bikini shots in the balmy tropical heat of the Norwegian Sea ;) 

17 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Back to the Wildlings kids-

So they've bought what appears to be a Sailcraft Cherokee 35 cat:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cherokee-35

It some of their videos, it shows massive, thick, wooden rudders. This boat seems *heavy.*  Will it sail worth a fart?  I kind of like the appearance and it's friggin' huge but I'm skeptical of its sailing performance. It makes me think of a Heavenly Twins on steroids.

The boat is equipped with a Mercedes diesel. This seems like a whole new level in Unobtanium parts that will make Volvo engine parts look cheap and plentiful.

Without discussing the merits of whether they should have bought the boat, is the design itself OK or is it just a huge dock-o-minium?

I have a bit of a soft spot for them.  They have a good attitude and that was a pretty impressive shade-tree engine rebuild. Though I see more pain coming, they have some grit and resourcefulness. Any girl who could make it from Western China, marry a furriner, move to the UK has the determination to get pretty far, even if wearing a pink boiler suit.  So does he. Any furriner that could live with his Chinese out-laws for a year to save money while teaching English.....

I don't think that boat was ever a performer, but it might be a decent platform for the Med, which when I sailed it seemed either dead flat or "holy crap".  They might be surprised at their increased running costs. 

@Elegua At first, I had the girl pegged as a real airhead. Then, I realized that I was witnessing a bit of a language barrier. She's pretty clever and works incredibly hard. She has a high tolerance for discomfort and a generally cheerful disposition and that goes a long way with me.

This is how poor people afford large or nice boats- They buy them in poor condition and refit them. I know, because I've done it.  I don't know if a Cherokee is "nice" but it is large.

I'm still a-gog at the skegs and rudders. Ridiculously overbuilt. It's too bad they don't have the funds to craft some custom rudders that are lighter, actually have some sort of foil shape to them that aren't barn doors.  I'm genuinely curious to see it in the water and under sail.

I have a feeling that I'll be waiting awhile.

24 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@Elegua At first, I had the girl pegged as a real airhead. Then, I realized that I was witnessing a bit of a language barrier. She's pretty clever and works incredibly hard. She has a high tolerance for discomfort and a generally cheerful disposition and that goes a long way with me.

This is how poor people afford large or nice boats- They buy them in poor condition and refit them. I know, because I've done it.  I don't know if a Cherokee is "nice" but it is large.

I'm still a-gog at the skegs and rudders. Ridiculously overbuilt. It's too bad they don't have the funds to craft some custom rudders that are lighter, actually have some sort of foil shape to them that aren't barn doors.  I'm genuinely curious to see it in the water and under sail.

I have a feeling that I'll be waiting awhile.

That's funny - my wife, (who is also ESL), had the same comments about her. :P  I have my finger's crossed for them on two fronts: 1) That the grind doesn't overwhelm them and turn them off to cruising and 2) The boat isn't too much for them once done.  

55 minutes ago, Elegua said:

That's funny - my wife, (who is also ESL), had the same comments about her. :P  I have my finger's crossed for them on two fronts: 1) That the grind doesn't overwhelm them and turn them off to cruising and 2) The boat isn't too much for them once done.  

I figured Wildlings would be off the water by now, since early on she seemed to be seasick all the time.

34 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I figured Wildlings would be off the water by now, since early on she seemed to be seasick all the time.

I wonder if they think that the motion of a multihull will be more stable and that the larger size may also be more stable?

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I figured she could tough it out. And she did....eventually. 

I thought they wanted to go transat? I'm sure it could, but I'm also sure that cat would be my first choice. 

8 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Norwegian storm-seeker Erik Aanderaa has joined the ranks of sailing vloggers who collect freebies off gear suppliers.  in this case, it's a whole new Raymarine electronics setup, with the stunning bonus of boatshow-style step-aboard mats with Raymarine branding.

I guess this is the payoff for all his bikini shots in the balmy tropical heat of the Norwegian Sea ;) 

The infamous cold spaghetti guy.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, savoir said:

The infamous cold spaghetti guy.

No bullshit, just sailing cold spaghetti.

And a whole video devoted to signal-boosting the company that supplies the freebies.

19 hours ago, Ajax said:

This isn't "I quit my soul grinding office job in marketing and bought a sailboat to search for meaning and personal growth"

This is  "I quit my obscenely lucrative, enjoyable vocation of flying multi-million dollar aircraft and bought a large, gorgeous yacht to go fucking off around the world."

This is hardly chucking it all to go sailing.

Are we going to talk about the fact that which that much capital available they chose a Jeanneau?? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NZK said:

Are we going to talk about the fact that which that much capital available they chose a Jeanneau?? 

Is there anything much to say other than a sigh? :( 

32 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Is there anything much to say other than a sigh? :( 

Yeah I think that choice says quite enough about the entire operation....

On 6/18/2021 at 5:55 AM, mathystuff said:

Didn't he change it to "No Bullshit, just product placement"?

I’m on team Erik. Those videos last year around the North Sea were tremendous. No wonder people want to sponsor him. Hell, the Vendee boats are floating billboards.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I’m on team Erik. Those videos last year around the North Sea were tremendous. No wonder people want to sponsor him. Hell, the Vendee boats are floating billboards.

I think I could be on his team if he stopped the No BS, BS. He's definitely a better sailor than most bloggers and he does have the safety-at-sea background. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Elegua said:

I think I could be on his team if he stopped the No BS, BS. He's definitely a better sailor than most bloggers and he does have the safety-at-sea background. 

If NoBS means no bimbos babies boobie thumbnails or labradoodles I’m all in.

Erik has grown up a lot since he started. His sailing skill has become excellent and his video skills have as well. He’s going to try Greenland later this year and that will be a good show.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

If NoBS means no bimbos babies boobie thumbnails or labradoodles I’m all in.

Oi!   I am with you on the first three exclusions ... but wotcha got against labradoodles?

• Like 2