Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

9 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The attraction is the prospect of training him.  It rarely works, but the idea of a wild animal who follows your lead is very enticing to some.  It usually ends in mutual heartache, but for the few who actually enjoy the wild ride, it can be a good option.

There's a great Irish film about it from 2000: About Adam.  

Or this, from the Cowboy Junkies

Beautiful song.  Absolutely terrible relationship advice.

• Like 2
  • Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Or David Lynch. Twin Hulls: Water, Walk With Me. You expect to see, blurred out of their perfectly staged salon, Dennis Hopper huffing nitrous and crawling up to Nikki whimpering "Mommy mommy mommy." 

Posted Images

Yeah, somehow ‘Murican’s always miss the fact that the Swiss weren’t neutral because they were pacifists.  They were neutral because they were mercenaries.  

• Like 3
On 7/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I did watch one of the Parlay Revival ones but that was out of pity for the poor bloke. His shots of bulkhead failures in many other boats must be doing immense damage to Lagoon.

I am traveling to go look at a boat today and watching stupid videos on the way. I have to say the first 3 to 5 minutes of this most recent parlay video are pretty compelling. This is where social media and things like YouTube can be a positive, bringing people together so they don’t get taken advantage of by a company like Lagoon/Beneteau.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

This is where social media and things like YouTube can be a positive, bringing people together so they don’t get taken advantage of by a company like Lagoon/Beneteau.

It's fascinating to watch how badly Lagoon/Beneteau has handled this.  Their stonewalling response might have been viable before the internet age, when the boat-owners had no way of networking and sharing photos and videos (or even of making videos).  Now they can network globally, and talk remotely in real time.

Anyone working in communications knows that the game has changed radically, and that suppression and stonewalling is no longer an an option.  Very different strategies are required.

This should also be evident to senior management, from their own experience: it's 23 years since egroups and onelist allowed anyone to create a mailing list group for free.  And if they somehow missed that, their children will have been using the new media and demonstrating it power to their luddite parents.

Management that hasn't adapted to this new age is dysfunctional.  Beneteau has been a publicly-listed company since 1984, and if I was a shareholder I'd be looking for changes at the top, to replace the ostriches.

14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

It's fascinating to watch how badly Lagoon/Beneteau has handled this. 

The implication from the video is they dangled the opportunity for this guy to become a brand ambassador for lagoon. He didn’t bite. #respect

• Like 2
On 7/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Although I don’t think I’ve actually ever fully watched any YT sailing vid —ok, maybe one or two how-to type sailing project type vids— I’ve come to like Sam Holmes a lot.  Super simple, down to earth, a mix of boat rebuild and crossing oceans, all interlaced with a down-home-American-kid-gee-whiz-I’m-so-happy vibe.  I think he realizes how lucky he is to be doing what he’s doing.  He’s a very happy guy, just recording everything he does.  No slick production, no product placement, no stupid bullshit.  A dude with a great attitude preparing small boats and crossing oceans, with little fanfare.  He’s just doing his thing, and happy to share it.  He’s been mentioned in this thread a few times - truly the un-Sailing Doodles :-).  

And he did a bunch of that sailing with an Ostomy bag. 

Fuck you blokes want builders warranty on your half-sunk hurricane-damaged-wrecks?! Did rainmaker get warranty!! Even though they said bulkhead issues are not confined to written off examples at what point is it no longer Lagoon’s problem 5yrs from new, 10? Didn’t he say lagoon issued a repair notice & will inspect boats. His bulkhead was wet when he first inspected it. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Fuck you blokes want builders warranty on your half-sunk hurricane-damaged-wrecks?! Did rainmaker get warranty!! Even though they said bulkhead issues are not confined to written off examples at what point is it no longer Lagoon’s problem 5yrs from new, 10? Didn’t he say lagoon issued a repair notice & will inspect boats. His bulkhead was wet when he first inspected it. 

I dunno about US law, but in the UK and Ireland vendors are obliged to ensure that their products are "fit for the purpose for which they are sold".  Similar provisions have been enacted across the European Union by EU Directives, so boats made in France will be included.

Beneteau may try to argue that a 4-year-old boat can reasonably be expected to suffer ever structural deterioration even if it has not been abused or in a hurricane.  But whatever might happen in a court of law (where Beneteau would be very well lawyered-up), that stance would cause huge reputational damage.

19 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Fuck you blokes want builders warranty on your half-sunk hurricane-damaged-wrecks?! Did rainmaker get warranty!! Even though they said bulkhead issues are not confined to written off examples at what point is it no longer Lagoon’s problem 5yrs from new, 10?

If it's a design flaw with significant safety implications, Lagoon own it forever.

Try your line of argument WRT a motor vehicle and see how well it flies.

FKT

• Like 1

Well there is no manufacturers warranty on written off cars or boats so you can cross that off. 

Lagoon’s pretty generous with the proposal Colin mentioned. Repair schedule for dealers + inspection + possible free repairs. 

You can’t expect Lagoon to warrant used boats that may have bounced off every beach & dock. How did they all pass they sale survey & should the owner of a yacht not be checking bulkheads regularly. I know it’s behind trim but it’s kinda an important part of a boat. 

25 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Well there is no manufacturers warranty on written off cars or boats so you can cross that off. 

Some misunderstanding here.

In European law, a manufacturers warranty is an addition to statutory rights.  A warranty does not limit or replace statutory rights.

So the issue remain whether boat as it left the factory was fit for purpose.

37 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

How did they all pass they sale survey & should the owner of a yacht not be checking bulkheads regularly. I know it’s behind trim but it’s kinda an important part of a boat. 

Maybe the builder shouldn't hide the bulkheads behind glued on trimmings. Maybe they should use screws so the owners can check them. Maybe even instructions in owners manual on how and how often to check.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Whoa.  

His last 2 postings are from his just-completed leg from Bermuda to the Azores. To me it's as interesting as any transatlantic passage posted by other YTers, or more so. Puts you right there, without any drama. 

• Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, loneshark64 said:

I don’t doubt it. Utilitarianism, Liberty, the happiness principle, pursuit of pleasure, free women from the home…. Bobby might actually BE John Stuart Mill.

I haven’t actually watched it though. I went on a Carnival cruise ship years ago and that was enough sailing with skanks for me.

Trying to score on a Carnival Cruise Line always seemed like a low proposition.

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Lagoon’s pretty generous with the proposal Colin mentioned. Repair schedule for dealers + inspection + possible free repairs. 

You can’t expect Lagoon to warrant used boats that may have bounced off every beach & dock. How did they all pass they sale survey & should the owner of a yacht not be checking bulkheads regularly. I know it’s behind trim but it’s kinda an important part of a boat. 

Were it just Colin's hurricane boat I'd agree with you.

But it isn't, is it? There are lots of them with fucked bulkheads and some of those on very gently treated boats.

Your argument is, frankly, rubbish. It's equivalent to car manufacturers trying to get out of a major structural weakness on the basis that people had parking dings in their cars. And we know how that line of argument goes down.

I'm appalled by how those bulkheads are constructed & fitted. That is not a professional job IMO.

FKT

• Like 5
3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Trying to score on a Carnival Cruise Line always seemed like a low proposition.

I was on it with my wife, kids, parents and my mother in law. There was no scoring. 

44 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Were it just Colin's hurricane boat I'd agree with you.

But it isn't, is it? There are lots of them with fucked bulkheads and some of those on very gently treated boats.

Your argument is, frankly, rubbish. It's equivalent to car manufacturers trying to get out of a major structural weakness on the basis that people had parking dings in their cars. And we know how that line of argument goes down.

I'm appalled by how those bulkheads are constructed & fitted. That is not a professional job IMO.

FKT

Exactly. It 8s an interesting situation. Colin wasn’t going after the company, he was happy to have their help, because he assumed it was just hurricane damage and he wanted the designer’s guidance on how best to fix. 

But when all these other people with unstressed Lagoon boats they bought new saw his video and looked and found the same thing, Colin got pissed. And he is right to do so. I think he has handled this professionally. 

Beneteau can claim all kinds of legal/warranty “outs” but hopefully some smart lawyer will file a class action, and Beneteau will settle, and the buyers will get some money to compensate them for having to do this fix.

• Like 2

I agree. Several of the owners of relatively new boats have posted pictures of their non hurricane damaged boat bulkheads with very similar issues. 

Surveyors do not disassemble cabinetry to inspect. 

Looking at the failure points they were inevitable. 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I agree. Several of the owners of relatively new boats have posted pictures of their non hurricane damaged boat bulkheads with very similar issues. 

I'd like to see Lagoon/Beneteau put in their product description something on the lines of 'This vessel cannot withstand even a single grounding or haulout (other than fully and properly supported as per manufacturer specification) without significant risk of major structural damage. Please factor this into your purchase decision as no warranty claims for damage will be entertained'.

That at least would be an honest description of their product.

Fuck me, we put a 60' steel power cat onto an uncharted coral bommie up in the Wessel Islands 30+ years ago - on a falling tide. With a big tide range. Had to shut all machinery down due to the excessive angle as we dried out. Yet we got off with nothing except a few paint scratches.

FKT

If the construction methods of Lagoon(s) are this shoddy, I suspect we will come to see similar stories with recent Beneteau / Jeanneau boats as they age.

The cats have higher stress loading on their bulkheads, so they go first, but the lousy construction and water ingress issues will catch up with the monos as well..

Early on, I made a few comments about Colin’s boat in Cruising Forum, it was interesting to see all the Lagoon owners who jumped to their defence, there must be some pretty bruised wallets out there ..

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Agree 100%, the original work looks terrible & new & warranty boats should be covered.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, robtoujours said:

PS: Bono hate in Ireland is because he claims to be saving the world while bragging about paying no taxes on his ginormous fortune. Classic Narcissist - a big giveaway is the contemptuous smirk he evinces in portraits etc

Somebody once said (and that might well have been Bono) that the difference between an Irishman and a yank is that if a Yank sees a guy doing well the yanks says, someday I’m going to be like that dude but if an Irishman sees a guy doing well he says, someday I’m going to get that cunt.

Unfortunately, the Irish are a nation of begrudgers.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2
3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

If the construction methods of Lagoon(s) are this shoddy, I suspect we will come to see similar stories with recent Beneteau / Jeanneau boats as they age.

We already have - there's another YT channel detailing a rebuild of a Bendytoy. Major grid delam following a grounding.

And you might ask Mike Johns about some examples he knows, that were hushed up by application of money & NDA's...

FKT

La Vagabonde has had their baby.  This second child, a boy, is being called Darwin.  No mention of whether he is named after the Aussie city or the hairy evolutionist.

Is that even legal?  They might as well have called him "Please bully me".

22 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Perhaps, but from the pictures it seems to me these cats are far worse than a production mono.

The whining about production coastal monohull keels is totally overblown. There are tens of thousands of them out there and they basically do what they are supposed to do. Yes, if you rent the boat out for charters and let a bunch of shitfaced ASA101 morons run it aground every weekend the boat is going to get fucked up. But those boats cost like half a proper ocean-crossing boat, and if Sunsail used all island packets those would fare better but probably have their share of issues too.

20 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

We already have - there's another YT channel detailing a rebuild of a Bendytoy. Major grid delam following a grounding.

And you might ask Mike Johns about some examples he knows, that were hushed up by application of money & NDA's...

FKT

& yet Beneteau’s pack the entry list of the Sydney to Hobart every year.  

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

& yet Beneteau’s pack the entry list of the Sydney to Hobart every year.  

And your point is.....?

FKT

5 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

And your point is.....?

FKT

The age of disposable racing boats is upon us. Really never left, they just used to cost a lot more.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Nothing wrong with a maintained Bene. 

Didn't say there was and that's a deflection from the issue.

Said issue being the examples of grid failures resulting from a grounding. And the poor design of the supporting keel grid that makes a grounding into a major structural problem.

You can argue that yachts aren't designed to survive a grounding without incurring major structural damage if you wish, but I don't think you'll find a lot of support for that POV. Or you can argue that a grid delamination isn't important but I doubt that'd be well received either.

That leaves you to argue that the incidence is so rare and obviously due to operator error so as to leave the manufacturer blameless. And the logical progression from that is, anyone who buys a used Bene without a full history, inspection of the keel support grid and written guarantee that the boat has never been grounded is an idiot and only has themselves to blame if they find major structural problems later on.

Feel free to show me where my reasoning is incorrect. But it's a nice sunny day so I'm going off for a walk and lunch in the sun. Even in benighted Sydney I can still get takeaway...

FKT

I wouldn't worry about Darwin. Have you looked at kids' names these days? I know everyone around here is like 84 years old and their actual name is Phillip Seagrave III but I was just looking at the junior expert results from a mountain bike race near here and it's all Jackson, Elijah, Mason etc. Also, gratuitous bullying is a bit out of fashion these days. 

If I am half as competent as Sam Holmes when I eventually set sail I will be happy! 

• Like 1

Troy and Pascale have completed their circumnavigation of Australia. I've followed since their first video and learned a lot. Seems despite their major refit of their small boat in Tasmania they are not in a position to head to wider geographies.

• Like 2

Anyone else following Itchy Boots? A Dutch woman who makes her living via excellent videos documenting her motorcycle travels around the world. During Covid she is on Season 5 travelling around my home country of South Africa and now Namibia. It's great to see my country through her eyes, especially having travelled by car and bike to many of the places she goes, like today's video concerning Welwitchia plants. She is as brave as a solo sailor on an ocean, tackling deserted roads and mere tracks in wilderness areas. She never mentions if she has any kind of satellite communications, but an accident or breakdown would be near fatal at times. 800k subscribers!

44 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Anyone else following Itchy Boots? A Dutch woman who makes her living via excellent videos documenting her motorcycle travels around the world. During Covid she is on Season 5 travelling around my home country of South Africa and now Namibia. It's great to see my country through her eyes, especially having travelled by car and bike to many of the places she goes, like today's video concerning Welwitchia plants. She is as brave as a solo sailor on an ocean, tackling deserted roads and mere tracks in wilderness areas. She never mentions if she has any kind of satellite communications, but an accident or breakdown would be near fatal at times. 800k subscribers!

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as the song goes. Sam is out there doing it as we can dream about, as are Free Range. They are some of the best on Youtube!  But I can't support what the Dutch chick is doing. Way too much stuff can go wrong in her situation (and I don't care for motorbikes).

7 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Troy and Pascale have completed their circumnavigation of Australia. I've followed since their first video and learned a lot. Seems despite their major refit of their small boat in Tasmania they are not in a position to head to wider geographies.

Yeah but given covid and closed borders - why *would* you? We kicked this around quite a bit while they were down here in Tas.

Australia has a huge coast line, lots of it very sparsely populated. Lots of places to go that they skipped past the first time around.

I know where they are ATM and it's a long way from big cities.

FKT

• Like 2

Having only watched them for about a year, I'll have to watch their videos from the beginning now. 

Definitely the most appealing and down to earth couple on YT for my tastes. 

Surprised to hear in their most recent video that they had to put off any more voyaging for a period as they were totally broke. They have 117k subscribers as of writing and about a dozen videos with over 150k views in total (including one famous one which is 15M). Just goes to show that even with a decent Patreon etc. backend YT is no road to riches.

31 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

Having only watched them for about a year, I'll have to watch their videos from the beginning now. 

Definitely the most appealing and down to earth couple on YT for my tastes. 

Surprised to hear in their most recent video that they had to put off any more voyaging for a period as they were totally broke. They have 117k subscribers as of writing and about a dozen videos with over 150k views in total (including one famous one which is 15M). Just goes to show that even with a decent Patreon etc. backend YT is no road to riches.

Agreed that they are one of the best sailing vlogs. I think earlier on they discussed leaving Oz for international waters and concluded they would need a bigger boat. That apparently isn't in the cards at the moment. I believe they intend to continue voyaging (free range sailing) in Australian waters. I found some of their early videos in the Kimberlys most appealing; more of that with their improved boat and augmented filming skills would keep me watching. I don't do Patreon, but I have slipped them a few PayPal bucks from time to time. Troy and Pascale along with Dylan Winter are the only YouTubers I have ever supported monetarily.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, TwoLegged said:

La Vagabonde has had their baby.  This second child, a boy, is being called Darwin.  No mention of whether he is named after the Aussie city or the hairy evolutionist.

Is that even legal?  They might as well have called him "Please bully me".

Could have been worse. Could have been Brisbane.

Little Dardar shall just have to find a stropping chum called Huxley to defend him. And Stachelena must name the new tri Beagle.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TheDragon said:

I like the Swiss woman traveler, Sarah Marquis. She would simply plan, prepare, and head off —on foot— to walk across the Outback, Siberia, sleeping in caves, camping with nomads, etc., and come back afterwards to talk about it.  Pretty hardcore - no selfie stick and YT channel. Or does she, hmm...everyone seems to have one.  Anyway, she knows how to hunt, forage for food, collect water, how to survive.  Respect.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nature-Siberia-Australia-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B011I5QSBK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Marquis

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Not sure if I am late to the party on this bikini / dismasting entry (dismasting is on camera) 

I only watched through 0:38 to see the bikini. Is she the old fellow's daughter, or grand-daughter? :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Not sure if I am late to the party on this bikini / dismasting entry (dismasting is on camera) 

It doesn't seem clear whether the chainplate fractured, or alternatively pulled entirely out of its mountings.  Either way, the poor divils have had a very expensive lesson in the perils of not thoroughly checking this crucial component, which is known weak point on most older production boats.

That said, their prompt action in retrieving the rig may mean that much of it can be reused, which should help keep the costs of repair down to the level of great pain rather than write-off-the-boat.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I like the Swiss woman traveler, Sarah Marquis. She would simply plan, prepare, and head off —on foot— to walk across the Outback, Siberia, sleeping in caves, camping with nomads, etc., and come back afterwards to talk about it.  Pretty hardcore - no selfie stick and YT channel. Or does she, hmm...everyone seems to have one.  Anyway, she knows how to hunt, forage for food, collect water, how to survive.  Respect.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nature-Siberia-Australia-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B011I5QSBK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Marquis

Just to be clear, there’s Sarah Marquis:

And then —fuck the red wine— there’s the *real* Sarah Marquis, the one you want on your rope team/crew:

To each his own. I'd rather spend an evening sipping the best of Molly Dooker than to be roughing it in a tent on some patch of hardscrabble.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

To each his own. I'd rather spend an evening sipping the best of Molly Dooker than to be roughing it in a tent on some patch of hardscrabble.

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

38 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

Thanks, Jud.  It sounds like McDonald's for the soul :( 

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

"TBF, I did go looking for my ideal woman at the bottom of a bottle." -- Larry Hagman, probably

24Wdr-1513100404-1860-blog-jeannie_jimbe

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

Whaaat? This is the 'Patreon bottom Feeder' thread, you're in the wrong place, lad. Try 'Desirable and Undesirable characteristics of yachts'......

</sarc>

FKT

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Mid 60s; the endless re-runs might have confused you.

(GI, F Troop and Rocky & Bullwinkle were standard after-school fare as a kid. I suppose they shaped my outlook on life.....)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Mid 60s; the endless re-runs might have confused you.

(GI, F Troop and Rocky & Bullwinkle were standard after-school fare as a kid. I suppose they shaped my outlook on life.....)

Don't forget Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, and the Beverly Hillbillies. And for drama, how about Sea Hunt? That show had a bubble sound track like the sitcoms had a laugh track.

Elly May by the "ceement pond" was hard to beat. But Mary Anne still reins supreme!

39 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma's latest title is a nod to Erik Aandeera's slogan "no bullshit, just sailing".

Nice nod! Both channels are now painted cold blue now. I think there's something inherently pleasing to the eyes, in those tones.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

maybe the worst look-at-me/panhandling video ever in Vagabond history...IMHO

What.

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

5 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

TMI.

Got 3 children and (currently) 1 grandchild. Been there done that.

FKT

• Like 1
6 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Combining childbirth and whoring?

It takes two to whore when there's a child involved.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

100 tokens: see actual 'crowning'

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attending the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

Ditto on both counts - been there at the birth of my 3, wouldn't want to put it on YouBoob.

Nothing to do with shocked. I did my first degree in biology, we dissected everything in the animal kingdom up to & including mammals of varying types, plus I worked part time in a vet hospital assisting with surgery. Blood and body bits don't bother me at all.

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

NFW.

FKT

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I hope they get to see her eat the placenta, at the very least. Maybe dressed as a carpaccio starter before the daily lobsters. That would actually be a proper statement.

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

I think that word "entertainment" misunderstands what the channel is doing.

This is a form of reality TV, which doesn't sell entertainment: it sells a sense of belonging.  The viewers are repeatedly told that they are part of a group, and that their donations make this all possible.  Sailing Uma calls their group of donors "the Uma Nation" and SV Delos calls theirs "the Delos tribe".  I can't recall what terminology La Vagabonde uses, but it's the same technique of selling belonging.

This is very similar to the manipulative sense of belonging created by commercial sports teams, which are big-money businesses selling the product of belonging to a bunch of overpaid ball-kickers.   The "fans" pay for obscenely-priced merchandise and hugely expensive mach tickets as tokens of their loyalty.

Similarly, many established religions operate a pay-to-share model.  Whether you put money in the collection plate or in an envelope (as in the church I attended in my youth) or call with your credit card to the televangelist's hotline, it's the same basic transaction: cash to belong.

I don't buy any of these belongingness products, but it seems to me that belong-to-the-sail-the-dream-family may be the least toxic of the examples above.    The religious belongingess product may carry with it some helpful ethical guidance, although it may also be ethical poison such as the popular heresy of prosperity theology.  But the commercial sports team belongingness product is pure poison: bread and circuses.

Paying to watch the birth of a baby is by a long way the least of these vices.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

^^This. Most of us have lived those private moments years ago. The idea of making such a momentous private moment public - is just tackier than a gender reveal party.

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

(apologies if it's been posted earlier)

25 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, TheDragon said:

Anyone else following Itchy Boots?

Yup. Been watching her for some time now.  Really enjoyed her time in the 'stans in Central Asia. Not an area I know much about. She does have a satcom device because sometimes she is indeed really out in the wilderness.

Totally want to get an adventure bike and ride to Patagonia now.

Or maybe get an adventure bike and go for a latte.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Good news, Colin has a result from Lagoon for 450 owners..

So somebody at Lagoon wised up, realised they can't stonewall this one, and decided to invest in their reputation.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Good news, Colin has a result from Lagoon for 450 owners..

Lagoon said they would do that a month ago. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:41 AM, SCANAS said:

Lagoon said they would do that a month ago. 

I think someone mentioned somewhere that their videos are a few weeks behind in time.

I wonder though how strict Lagoon will be with any past repair or damage that isnt related to the structural soundness of the boat/bulkheads..

On 7/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

I was young, but I remember Sven bringing Bris I to the dinghy dock at the Newport Yacht Club when I was a kid. My dad had followed his stories in Cruising World and went over to chat with him. I was dumbfounded that he had crossed the Atlantic in such a small boat. I still enjoy following his projects at yrvind.com. I like Sam Holmes' channel too.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe since the merger of the museum with IYRS some years back? Now you've got me curious to find out what happened to it. BTW, it was Bris I that was there (cold-molded). He had attempted to round Cape Horn in it, but after being pitchpoled (and with an unhappy crew if I recall) he headed to Tristan da Cunha. Bris II was the aluminum one he later sailed successfully around the Horn in, but I think he cut that one up or scrapped it?