Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

La Vagabonde has had their baby.  This second child, a boy, is being called Darwin.  No mention of whether he is named after the Aussie city or the hairy evolutionist.

Is that even legal?  They might as well have called him "Please bully me".

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

22 hours ago, olaf hart said:

If the construction methods of Lagoon(s) are this shoddy, I suspect we will come to see similar stories with recent Beneteau / Jeanneau boats as they age.

Perhaps, but from the pictures it seems to me these cats are far worse than a production mono.

The whining about production coastal monohull keels is totally overblown. There are tens of thousands of them out there and they basically do what they are supposed to do. Yes, if you rent the boat out for charters and let a bunch of shitfaced ASA101 morons run it aground every weekend the boat is going to get fucked up. But those boats cost like half a proper ocean-crossing boat, and if Sunsail used all island packets those would fare better but probably have their share of issues too.

20 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

We already have - there's another YT channel detailing a rebuild of a Bendytoy. Major grid delam following a grounding.

And you might ask Mike Johns about some examples he knows, that were hushed up by application of money & NDA's...

FKT

& yet Beneteau’s pack the entry list of the Sydney to Hobart every year.  

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

& yet Beneteau’s pack the entry list of the Sydney to Hobart every year.  

And your point is.....?

FKT

5 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

And your point is.....?

FKT

The age of disposable racing boats is upon us. Really never left, they just used to cost a lot more.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Nothing wrong with a maintained Bene. 

Didn't say there was and that's a deflection from the issue.

Said issue being the examples of grid failures resulting from a grounding. And the poor design of the supporting keel grid that makes a grounding into a major structural problem.

You can argue that yachts aren't designed to survive a grounding without incurring major structural damage if you wish, but I don't think you'll find a lot of support for that POV. Or you can argue that a grid delamination isn't important but I doubt that'd be well received either.

That leaves you to argue that the incidence is so rare and obviously due to operator error so as to leave the manufacturer blameless. And the logical progression from that is, anyone who buys a used Bene without a full history, inspection of the keel support grid and written guarantee that the boat has never been grounded is an idiot and only has themselves to blame if they find major structural problems later on.

Feel free to show me where my reasoning is incorrect. But it's a nice sunny day so I'm going off for a walk and lunch in the sun. Even in benighted Sydney I can still get takeaway...

FKT

I wouldn't worry about Darwin. Have you looked at kids' names these days? I know everyone around here is like 84 years old and their actual name is Phillip Seagrave III but I was just looking at the junior expert results from a mountain bike race near here and it's all Jackson, Elijah, Mason etc. Also, gratuitous bullying is a bit out of fashion these days. 

If I am half as competent as Sam Holmes when I eventually set sail I will be happy! 

• Like 1

Troy and Pascale have completed their circumnavigation of Australia. I've followed since their first video and learned a lot. Seems despite their major refit of their small boat in Tasmania they are not in a position to head to wider geographies.

• Like 2

Anyone else following Itchy Boots? A Dutch woman who makes her living via excellent videos documenting her motorcycle travels around the world. During Covid she is on Season 5 travelling around my home country of South Africa and now Namibia. It's great to see my country through her eyes, especially having travelled by car and bike to many of the places she goes, like today's video concerning Welwitchia plants. She is as brave as a solo sailor on an ocean, tackling deserted roads and mere tracks in wilderness areas. She never mentions if she has any kind of satellite communications, but an accident or breakdown would be near fatal at times. 800k subscribers!

44 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Anyone else following Itchy Boots? A Dutch woman who makes her living via excellent videos documenting her motorcycle travels around the world. During Covid she is on Season 5 travelling around my home country of South Africa and now Namibia. It's great to see my country through her eyes, especially having travelled by car and bike to many of the places she goes, like today's video concerning Welwitchia plants. She is as brave as a solo sailor on an ocean, tackling deserted roads and mere tracks in wilderness areas. She never mentions if she has any kind of satellite communications, but an accident or breakdown would be near fatal at times. 800k subscribers!

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as the song goes. Sam is out there doing it as we can dream about, as are Free Range. They are some of the best on Youtube!  But I can't support what the Dutch chick is doing. Way too much stuff can go wrong in her situation (and I don't care for motorbikes).

7 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Troy and Pascale have completed their circumnavigation of Australia. I've followed since their first video and learned a lot. Seems despite their major refit of their small boat in Tasmania they are not in a position to head to wider geographies.

Yeah but given covid and closed borders - why *would* you? We kicked this around quite a bit while they were down here in Tas.

Australia has a huge coast line, lots of it very sparsely populated. Lots of places to go that they skipped past the first time around.

I know where they are ATM and it's a long way from big cities.

FKT

• Like 2

Having only watched them for about a year, I'll have to watch their videos from the beginning now. 

Definitely the most appealing and down to earth couple on YT for my tastes. 

Surprised to hear in their most recent video that they had to put off any more voyaging for a period as they were totally broke. They have 117k subscribers as of writing and about a dozen videos with over 150k views in total (including one famous one which is 15M). Just goes to show that even with a decent Patreon etc. backend YT is no road to riches.

31 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

Having only watched them for about a year, I'll have to watch their videos from the beginning now. 

Definitely the most appealing and down to earth couple on YT for my tastes. 

Surprised to hear in their most recent video that they had to put off any more voyaging for a period as they were totally broke. They have 117k subscribers as of writing and about a dozen videos with over 150k views in total (including one famous one which is 15M). Just goes to show that even with a decent Patreon etc. backend YT is no road to riches.

Agreed that they are one of the best sailing vlogs. I think earlier on they discussed leaving Oz for international waters and concluded they would need a bigger boat. That apparently isn't in the cards at the moment. I believe they intend to continue voyaging (free range sailing) in Australian waters. I found some of their early videos in the Kimberlys most appealing; more of that with their improved boat and augmented filming skills would keep me watching. I don't do Patreon, but I have slipped them a few PayPal bucks from time to time. Troy and Pascale along with Dylan Winter are the only YouTubers I have ever supported monetarily.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, TwoLegged said:

La Vagabonde has had their baby.  This second child, a boy, is being called Darwin.  No mention of whether he is named after the Aussie city or the hairy evolutionist.

Is that even legal?  They might as well have called him "Please bully me".

Could have been worse. Could have been Brisbane.

Little Dardar shall just have to find a stropping chum called Huxley to defend him. And Stachelena must name the new tri Beagle.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TheDragon said:

I like the Swiss woman traveler, Sarah Marquis. She would simply plan, prepare, and head off —on foot— to walk across the Outback, Siberia, sleeping in caves, camping with nomads, etc., and come back afterwards to talk about it.  Pretty hardcore - no selfie stick and YT channel. Or does she, hmm...everyone seems to have one.  Anyway, she knows how to hunt, forage for food, collect water, how to survive.  Respect.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nature-Siberia-Australia-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B011I5QSBK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Marquis

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Not sure if I am late to the party on this bikini / dismasting entry (dismasting is on camera) 

I only watched through 0:38 to see the bikini. Is she the old fellow's daughter, or grand-daughter? :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Not sure if I am late to the party on this bikini / dismasting entry (dismasting is on camera) 

It doesn't seem clear whether the chainplate fractured, or alternatively pulled entirely out of its mountings.  Either way, the poor divils have had a very expensive lesson in the perils of not thoroughly checking this crucial component, which is known weak point on most older production boats.

That said, their prompt action in retrieving the rig may mean that much of it can be reused, which should help keep the costs of repair down to the level of great pain rather than write-off-the-boat.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I like the Swiss woman traveler, Sarah Marquis. She would simply plan, prepare, and head off —on foot— to walk across the Outback, Siberia, sleeping in caves, camping with nomads, etc., and come back afterwards to talk about it.  Pretty hardcore - no selfie stick and YT channel. Or does she, hmm...everyone seems to have one.  Anyway, she knows how to hunt, forage for food, collect water, how to survive.  Respect.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nature-Siberia-Australia-Wilderness-ebook/dp/B011I5QSBK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Marquis

Just to be clear, there’s Sarah Marquis:

And then —fuck the red wine— there’s the *real* Sarah Marquis, the one you want on your rope team/crew:

To each his own. I'd rather spend an evening sipping the best of Molly Dooker than to be roughing it in a tent on some patch of hardscrabble.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

To each his own. I'd rather spend an evening sipping the best of Molly Dooker than to be roughing it in a tent on some patch of hardscrabble.

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

38 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

Thanks, Jud.  It sounds like McDonald's for the soul :( 

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

"TBF, I did go looking for my ideal woman at the bottom of a bottle." -- Larry Hagman, probably

24Wdr-1513100404-1860-blog-jeannie_jimbe

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

Whaaat? This is the 'Patreon bottom Feeder' thread, you're in the wrong place, lad. Try 'Desirable and Undesirable characteristics of yachts'......

</sarc>

FKT

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Mid 60s; the endless re-runs might have confused you.

(GI, F Troop and Rocky & Bullwinkle were standard after-school fare as a kid. I suppose they shaped my outlook on life.....)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Mid 60s; the endless re-runs might have confused you.

(GI, F Troop and Rocky & Bullwinkle were standard after-school fare as a kid. I suppose they shaped my outlook on life.....)

Don't forget Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, and the Beverly Hillbillies. And for drama, how about Sea Hunt? That show had a bubble sound track like the sitcoms had a laugh track.

Elly May by the "ceement pond" was hard to beat. But Mary Anne still reins supreme!

39 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma's latest title is a nod to Erik Aandeera's slogan "no bullshit, just sailing".

Nice nod! Both channels are now painted cold blue now. I think there's something inherently pleasing to the eyes, in those tones.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

maybe the worst look-at-me/panhandling video ever in Vagabond history...IMHO

What.

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

5 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

TMI.

Got 3 children and (currently) 1 grandchild. Been there done that.

FKT

• Like 1
6 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Combining childbirth and whoring?

It takes two to whore when there's a child involved.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

100 tokens: see actual 'crowning'

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attending the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

Ditto on both counts - been there at the birth of my 3, wouldn't want to put it on YouBoob.

Nothing to do with shocked. I did my first degree in biology, we dissected everything in the animal kingdom up to & including mammals of varying types, plus I worked part time in a vet hospital assisting with surgery. Blood and body bits don't bother me at all.

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

NFW.

FKT

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I hope they get to see her eat the placenta, at the very least. Maybe dressed as a carpaccio starter before the daily lobsters. That would actually be a proper statement.

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

I think that word "entertainment" misunderstands what the channel is doing.

This is a form of reality TV, which doesn't sell entertainment: it sells a sense of belonging.  The viewers are repeatedly told that they are part of a group, and that their donations make this all possible.  Sailing Uma calls their group of donors "the Uma Nation" and SV Delos calls theirs "the Delos tribe".  I can't recall what terminology La Vagabonde uses, but it's the same technique of selling belonging.

This is very similar to the manipulative sense of belonging created by commercial sports teams, which are big-money businesses selling the product of belonging to a bunch of overpaid ball-kickers.   The "fans" pay for obscenely-priced merchandise and hugely expensive mach tickets as tokens of their loyalty.

Similarly, many established religions operate a pay-to-share model.  Whether you put money in the collection plate or in an envelope (as in the church I attended in my youth) or call with your credit card to the televangelist's hotline, it's the same basic transaction: cash to belong.

I don't buy any of these belongingness products, but it seems to me that belong-to-the-sail-the-dream-family may be the least toxic of the examples above.    The religious belongingess product may carry with it some helpful ethical guidance, although it may also be ethical poison such as the popular heresy of prosperity theology.  But the commercial sports team belongingness product is pure poison: bread and circuses.

Paying to watch the birth of a baby is by a long way the least of these vices.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

^^This. Most of us have lived those private moments years ago. The idea of making such a momentous private moment public - is just tackier than a gender reveal party.

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

(apologies if it's been posted earlier)

25 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, TheDragon said:

Anyone else following Itchy Boots?

Yup. Been watching her for some time now.  Really enjoyed her time in the 'stans in Central Asia. Not an area I know much about. She does have a satcom device because sometimes she is indeed really out in the wilderness.

Totally want to get an adventure bike and ride to Patagonia now.

Or maybe get an adventure bike and go for a latte.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Good news, Colin has a result from Lagoon for 450 owners..

So somebody at Lagoon wised up, realised they can't stonewall this one, and decided to invest in their reputation.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Good news, Colin has a result from Lagoon for 450 owners..

Lagoon said they would do that a month ago. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:41 AM, SCANAS said:

Lagoon said they would do that a month ago. 

I think someone mentioned somewhere that their videos are a few weeks behind in time.

I wonder though how strict Lagoon will be with any past repair or damage that isnt related to the structural soundness of the boat/bulkheads..

On 7/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

I was young, but I remember Sven bringing Bris I to the dinghy dock at the Newport Yacht Club when I was a kid. My dad had followed his stories in Cruising World and went over to chat with him. I was dumbfounded that he had crossed the Atlantic in such a small boat. I still enjoy following his projects at yrvind.com. I like Sam Holmes' channel too.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe since the merger of the museum with IYRS some years back? Now you've got me curious to find out what happened to it. BTW, it was Bris I that was there (cold-molded). He had attempted to round Cape Horn in it, but after being pitchpoled (and with an unhappy crew if I recall) he headed to Tristan da Cunha. Bris II was the aluminum one he later sailed successfully around the Horn in, but I think he cut that one up or scrapped it?

34 minutes ago, herzogone said:

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe since the merger of the museum with IYRS some years ? Now you've got me curious to find out what happened to it.

The Museum is long history and the building used by Sail Newport these days. There’s a dump yard for misfit toys at the Fort entrance on the left and would be sad, but not surprised, to find it there.

7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

New video is classic Sam Holmes - off the beaten path in the Azores

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

30 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

I think you would probably find that a number of the global lone sailors may be a bit the same. Likely a "spectrum" personality of some kind. But who needs to put a label on it? As my mother used to say, "Isn't it good that we're all different?"

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think you would probably find that a number of the global lone sailors may be a bit the same. Likely a "spectrum" personality of some kind. But who needs to put a label on it? As my mother used to say, "Isn't it good that we're all different?"

Sure, it takes all sorts to make a world etc.  Sam seems harmless and is doing what he wants to do without needing a big budget ... so as Dylan would say, goodonim.  I wish him well, and I can't really say that for some of the youtube drama-queens.

I just don't get why people wanna watch him.  Boring guy sails extreme stuff could be cool ("three knockdowns in the last hour, but no icebergs" works well with deadpan delivery) ... but boring guy sails the usual places wit deadpan voice not so much.  For me, anyway.  YMMV :) 

Rained like hell today. I watched expedition evans actually attempt to sail the boat. Wow. They have some things to learn. That girl is a pretty damn happy young person though. Big dose of cute and happy. I’ll give them that. Almost melted my 2021 sucks angry Grinch heart. Not quite though.

• Like 1

We watch Sam because we find him likeable. His 28 footer doesn't have two wheels. It is not a floating condo.

He doesn't have a man bun. He actually goes sailing. He hasn't asked us to fund buying him a new 40 foot  bluewater cruiser.

There are more reasons but these are enough for us.

• Like 9
7 hours ago, SailBender said:

It's only a matter of time before Le Vagabond patreons get access to GoPro's installed in the bottom of each head looking up. 

LV will be off the water for something like a year.  Mrs LV has a new baby and they are with it somewhere in Australia.  They have not yet started work on the new boat which is to be built in Vietnam.  It will be interesting to see how they keep their hordes of devoted fans amused during the interim.  Chances are that quite a few will drift away.

1 hour ago, bajakiter said:

We watch Sam because we find him likeable. His 28 footer doesn't have two wheels. It is not a floating condo.

He doesn't have a man bun. He actually goes sailing. He hasn't asked us to fund buying him a new 40 foot  bluewater cruiser.

There are more reasons but these are enough for us.

He has the guts to not delete the look of fear on his face when a wave slaps his hull while hove too at 3:35 into the first installment of his Atlantic crossing. That face again at 6:00.  Few have the the courage to include that honestly.  AND he joined that small cadre of solo sailors who jump overboard for a swim and a wash during a calm mid ocean no harness.  Though he does trail a long line and his ladder is always available.

• Like 3

I haven’t watched much Sam.  The bit I watched had me tripping out on his 3D printed screens but horrified over some of his other naïveté.  

But it sounds to me that people are offended that he doesn’t exercise what I call “AM Radio Voice.”  That creepy fake enthusiasm that is required for A/V media appearances.  When I hear it, It makes me want to puke.  I’ve had to learn how to do it.  It makes me want to puke.  When I teach college classes, I try to find a happy medium between “nerd” and “AM Radio.”  IDK if it works.  Some students have told me they had fun.  A few dropped out.  

And there are plenty of bikini babes out there reading their scripts in monotone.  Nobody is complaining about that.  I guess nobody is using their ears for those vids.  

• Like 4
5 hours ago, savoir said:

LV will be off the water for something like a year.  Mrs LV has a new baby and they are with it somewhere in Australia.  They have not yet started work on the new boat which is to be built in Vietnam.  It will be interesting to see how they keep their hordes of devoted fans amused during the interim.  Chances are that quite a few will drift away.

Sailing Ruby Rose is in the same boat, minus the baby. They too sold their boat and are waiting for the new one. And they too added one hull. Jump from French coast to Australia has been interesting enough to keep me checking them out.

Sam Holmes seems like a nice guy I guess. Reminds me of an acquaintance of mine. Not sure what makes his channel so interesting for people though? His channel seems a bit like those early channels and 00’s blogs where people were posting just for friends and family instead of writing letters home like in the old days. Maybe that’s the appeal

for me though it’s either diy advice and inspiration (like atomvoyages) or actually good cinematography and editing, (like sea change), or some pirated reruns of jacques Cousteau 

no time for anything else fraid 

well no

there is this - which I find strangely fascinating 

6 hours ago, ROWBOATLOAD said:

He has the guts to not delete the look of fear on his face when a wave slaps his hull while hove too at 3:35 into the first installment of his Atlantic crossing. That face again at 6:00.  Few have the the courage to include that honestly.  AND he joined that small cadre of solo sailors who jump overboard for a swim and a wash during a calm mid ocean no harness.  Though he does trail a long line and his ladder is always available.

^That. I thought "Shit I wouldn't do that, or not for more than 30 seconds, just to say I did it" when he was swimming and diving under the boat mid-ocean.  Plus as others mentioned there is no man bun, and the oscillating between brilliance and slapdash keep it interesting.  He may be a bit closer to Rain Man than the rest of us, but he isn't trying to impress the audience, which is refreshing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

^That. I thought "Shit I wouldn't do that, or not for more than 30 seconds, just to say I did it" when he was swimming and diving under the boat mid-ocean.  Plus as others mentioned there is no man bun, and the oscillating between brilliance and slapdash keep it interesting.  He may be a bit closer to Rain Man than the rest of us, but he isn't trying to impress the audience, which is refreshing.

I got bored of his videos but I like the guy. Whether he’s on the spectrum or not I think the main thing I learned about sailing from Sam is not to over react or under react to anything that happens on the boat, on sea or at the dock. He’s a cool customer.

My guess is the teacher told him to smile for the 1st grade school picture and forgot to tell him to stop. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I often enjoy your posts and thought of you as I watched this.  Stay bold!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

I often enjoy your posts and thought of you as I watched this.  Stay bold!

Ah, thanks Proa!  That's v kind of you.

But really, I am nowhere near the league of Jocelyn Bell Burnell

Though my dutch is not that good, I absolutely enjoy the videos of Jacqueline and her Grinde 'Loveworkx', here is a 20 min video on her 200 miles around the Netherlands:

Grindes are some of the best boats, in my view. And this one is a very, very beautiful one!

13 hours ago, Matagi said:

Grindes are some of the best boats, in my view. And this one is a very, very beautiful one!

Hmm.  The Grinde is quite a pretty boat, but it loos to me very much like an early IOR diamond hull where the stern has been resolved into a canoe shape rather than into a reverse transom.  There is a lot less volume aft than in Bob Perry's double-enders.

That's probably gives slightly better hydrodynamics than the usual IOR diamond hull, but it still looks to me like the type of hull which will have many of the usual IOR vices.

Grinde 27 is what the Holly the hippie is solo sailing somewhere in the Pacific. (I don't follow her vlog but she has my respect). Maybe Grinde are the go-to boats for the solo sailing women?

In their latest episode, LVB mentioned that they needed visas to go to Vietnam.  Nothing unusual here.  They don't seem to be having any issues getting them.

But, they did mention they need a visa to leave Australia.  That seems particularly weird.  Does anyone know the rationale behind that?

14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Hmm.  The Grinde is quite a pretty boat, but it loos to me very much like an early IOR diamond hull where the stern has been resolved into a canoe shape rather than into a reverse transom.  There is a lot less volume aft than in Bob Perry's double-enders.

That's probably gives slightly better hydrodynamics than the usual IOR diamond hull, but it still looks to me like the type of hull which will have many of the usual IOR vices.

He might disagree.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

One could say it is a rounded off IOR pintail - or with the amount of topside beam and flare that is a rounded off J/29 with a skeg hung on the outboard rudder. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grinde

I believe some did race IOR at around the half ton level and were pretty competitive against other early 70's production half tonners.  Although her 24 foot predecessor (Spaekhugger) had a similar stern and was first built in around 1968 - long before IOR was around.

What sets the Grinde apart from most boats is the very full and rounded (and very non-IOR) spoon bow.  Not a scow bow, but closer than anything else of that era.  It's a shape that looks like it shouldn't work and in videos I've seen it does throw a fair amount of bow spray, but also has a very damped motion upwind.  Kind of reminds me of the the bow on LD's NZL-60 that destroyed Prada back in AC 2000.  NZL-60 threw a lot of spray upwind as well but didn't seem to hurt her upwind speed.

Anyways, I really like the Grinde at least as a fast and roomy cruiser of that size.  I suppose there are a few Grindes in North America but I suspect they are very rare.  A bit of a shame really.

5 hours ago, Lurker19 said:

In their latest episode, LVB mentioned that they needed visas to go to Vietnam.  Nothing unusual here.  They don't seem to be having any issues getting them.

But, they did mention they need a visa to leave Australia.  That seems particularly weird.  Does anyone know the rationale behind that?

Not a rationale, as such -- but here is the lowdown anyhow.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/leaving-Australia

On 7/29/2021 at 3:02 PM, TwoLegged said:

I generally like your posts and you seem to demand fairness, equity etc. from other posters here. But what the heck with your dumping on Sam Holmes? Of all of the things to get excited about you decide to pick on this guy?

• Like 2