Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

To each his own. I'd rather spend an evening sipping the best of Molly Dooker than to be roughing it in a tent on some patch of hardscrabble.

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.  The first Sarah would whine for wine if you brought her aboard, and never acclimate to life on board.  The second Sarah would grasp the fundamentals quickly, and soon be at home at sea.

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I’d take the real maryanne or ginger over either one of those hags. Both of them have boating experience.
d2ffe449d6c96a0d6fda080a5d13f661.jpg

 

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s a bit of the classic Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate.

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I reckon this is some piece of North American popular culture that I know nothing about.  Can anyone point me towards the relevant Dummies Guide?

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

Thanks, Jud.  It sounds like McDonald's for the soul :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

“Gilligan’s Island,” a very bad TV show from the ‘70 (?).   Luckily, you can probably watch all the episodes on YT.  A vast cultural wasteland...er, treasure trove.

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

There was no YouTube. There were three networks, PBS and maybe a UHF channel. And Gilligans Island was on all the freaking time. My parents were not around so I was basically raised by Gilligans Island, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Those four women were the basis of my expectations for my future dating life. So much for that

"TBF, I did go looking for my ideal woman at the bottom of a bottle." -- Larry Hagman, probably

24Wdr-1513100404-1860-blog-jeannie_jimbe

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I don’t come to this august forum to engage in baseless speculation.  Rather, for hard, reasoned debate and focused inquiry.  This is out of line.  

Whaaat? This is the 'Patreon bottom Feeder' thread, you're in the wrong place, lad. Try 'Desirable and Undesirable characteristics of yachts'......

</sarc>

FKT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Mid 60s; the endless re-runs might have confused you.

(GI, F Troop and Rocky & Bullwinkle were standard after-school fare as a kid. I suppose they shaped my outlook on life.....)

Don't forget Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, and the Beverly Hillbillies. And for drama, how about Sea Hunt? That show had a bubble sound track like the sitcoms had a laugh track.

Elly May by the "ceement pond" was hard to beat. But Mary Anne still reins supreme!

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma's latest title is a nod to Erik Aandeera's slogan "no bullshit, just sailing".

 

Nice nod! Both channels are now painted cold blue now. I think there's something inherently pleasing to the eyes, in those tones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

maybe the worst look-at-me/panhandling video ever in Vagabond history...IMHO

 

What.

 

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

 

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

TMI.

Got 3 children and (currently) 1 grandchild. Been there done that.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leuk said:

What.

 

At this point I'm just grateful the camera did not frame actual vagina stretches in full 100mm macro glory, with textures and all. Oh but just you wait. Third time's a charm.

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

100 tokens: see actual 'crowning'

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

(Looking for vomit emoji. Why is there no vomit emoji on this site?)

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

'cos if they were available to use on all the pictures of Frankenboats in the IOR landfills thread, there would be a global shortage of vomit emoji.

Anyway, I am bemused to see male posters shocked at pics of childbirth.  Youse are part of the cause of this.

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attending the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

Ditto on both counts - been there at the birth of my 3, wouldn't want to put it on YouBoob.

Nothing to do with shocked. I did my first degree in biology, we dissected everything in the animal kingdom up to & including mammals of varying types, plus I worked part time in a vet hospital assisting with surgery. Blood and body bits don't bother me at all.

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

NFW.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

She says that more details of the birth are available to patreons.  So pay up and see all the details

I hope they get to see her eat the placenta, at the very least. Maybe dressed as a carpaccio starter before the daily lobsters. That would actually be a proper statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

But watching a birth for *entertainment*? And even moreso - PAYING to watch?

I think that word "entertainment" misunderstands what the channel is doing.

This is a form of reality TV, which doesn't sell entertainment: it sells a sense of belonging.  The viewers are repeatedly told that they are part of a group, and that their donations make this all possible.  Sailing Uma calls their group of donors "the Uma Nation" and SV Delos calls theirs "the Delos tribe".  I can't recall what terminology La Vagabonde uses, but it's the same technique of selling belonging.

This is very similar to the manipulative sense of belonging created by commercial sports teams, which are big-money businesses selling the product of belonging to a bunch of overpaid ball-kickers.   The "fans" pay for obscenely-priced merchandise and hugely expensive mach tickets as tokens of their loyalty.

Similarly, many established religions operate a pay-to-share model.  Whether you put money in the collection plate or in an envelope (as in the church I attended in my youth) or call with your credit card to the televangelist's hotline, it's the same basic transaction: cash to belong.

I don't buy any of these belongingness products, but it seems to me that belong-to-the-sail-the-dream-family may be the least toxic of the examples above.    The religious belongingess product may carry with it some helpful ethical guidance, although it may also be ethical poison such as the popular heresy of prosperity theology.  But the commercial sports team belongingness product is pure poison: bread and circuses.

Paying to watch the birth of a baby is by a long way the least of these vices.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am not shocked by pictures of childbirth (I attended the births of both my kids - it was amazing, esp. my wife) but I am shocked that those two vloggers would want to share such a personal and intimate family moment with the entire world. Just poor taste or a lack of judgement IMHO.

^^This. Most of us have lived those private moments years ago. The idea of making such a momentous private moment public - is just tackier than a gender reveal party.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

 (apologies if it's been posted earlier)

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

 (apologies if it's been posted earlier)

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, TheDragon said:

Anyone else following Itchy Boots?

Yup. Been watching her for some time now.  Really enjoyed her time in the 'stans in Central Asia. Not an area I know much about. She does have a satcom device because sometimes she is indeed really out in the wilderness.
 

Totally want to get an adventure bike and ride to Patagonia now.

Or maybe get an adventure bike and go for a latte.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Good news, Colin has a result from Lagoon for 450 owners..

So somebody at Lagoon wised up, realised they can't stonewall this one, and decided to invest in their reputation.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 3:41 AM, SCANAS said:

Lagoon said they would do that a month ago. 

I think someone mentioned somewhere that their videos are a few weeks behind in time.

I wonder though how strict Lagoon will be with any past repair or damage that isnt related to the structural soundness of the boat/bulkheads..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 2:30 PM, BrickTopHarry said:

I'm partial to Sam Holmes' channel, and through it learned of the existence of this fellow, a remarkable 82 year old Swede who designs and builds his own tiny sturdy sailboats and sails them all around the Atlantic:

 (apologies if it's been posted earlier)

I was young, but I remember Sven bringing Bris I to the dinghy dock at the Newport Yacht Club when I was a kid. My dad had followed his stories in Cruising World and went over to chat with him. I was dumbfounded that he had crossed the Atlantic in such a small boat. I still enjoy following his projects at yrvind.com. I like Sam Holmes' channel too.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Don’t know if there’s still a Yachting Museum in Newport, Rhode Island (US), but outside it used sit Sven’s (or Yrvind, however he refers to himself) self-built aluminum Bris - he (nearly?) sailed it around the Horn, I believe, decades ago.  He’s a legend.

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe since the merger of the museum with IYRS some years back? Now you've got me curious to find out what happened to it. BTW, it was Bris I that was there (cold-molded). He had attempted to round Cape Horn in it, but after being pitchpoled (and with an unhappy crew if I recall) he headed to Tristan da Cunha. Bris II was the aluminum one he later sailed successfully around the Horn in, but I think he cut that one up or scrapped it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, herzogone said:

 

I don't think it's there anymore, maybe since the merger of the museum with IYRS some years ? Now you've got me curious to find out what happened to it.

The Museum is long history and the building used by Sail Newport these days. There’s a dump yard for misfit toys at the Fort entrance on the left and would be sad, but not surprised, to find it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

New video is classic Sam Holmes - off the beaten path in the Azores

 

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

I think you would probably find that a number of the global lone sailors may be a bit the same. Likely a "spectrum" personality of some kind. But who needs to put a label on it? As my mother used to say, "Isn't it good that we're all different?"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think you would probably find that a number of the global lone sailors may be a bit the same. Likely a "spectrum" personality of some kind. But who needs to put a label on it? As my mother used to say, "Isn't it good that we're all different?"

Sure, it takes all sorts to make a world etc.  Sam seems harmless and is doing what he wants to do without needing a big budget ... so as Dylan would say, goodonim.  I wish him well, and I can't really say that for some of the youtube drama-queens.

I just don't get why people wanna watch him.  Boring guy sails extreme stuff could be cool ("three knockdowns in the last hour, but no icebergs" works well with deadpan delivery) ... but boring guy sails the usual places wit deadpan voice not so much.  For me, anyway.  YMMV :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rained like hell today. I watched expedition evans actually attempt to sail the boat. Wow. They have some things to learn. That girl is a pretty damn happy young person though. Big dose of cute and happy. I’ll give them that. Almost melted my 2021 sucks angry Grinch heart. Not quite though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We watch Sam because we find him likeable. His 28 footer doesn't have two wheels. It is not a floating condo.

He doesn't have a man bun. He actually goes sailing. He hasn't asked us to fund buying him a new 40 foot  bluewater cruiser.

There are more reasons but these are enough for us.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SailBender said:

It's only a matter of time before Le Vagabond patreons get access to GoPro's installed in the bottom of each head looking up. 

 

LV will be off the water for something like a year.  Mrs LV has a new baby and they are with it somewhere in Australia.  They have not yet started work on the new boat which is to be built in Vietnam.  It will be interesting to see how they keep their hordes of devoted fans amused during the interim.  Chances are that quite a few will drift away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bajakiter said:

We watch Sam because we find him likeable. His 28 footer doesn't have two wheels. It is not a floating condo.

He doesn't have a man bun. He actually goes sailing. He hasn't asked us to fund buying him a new 40 foot  bluewater cruiser.

There are more reasons but these are enough for us.

He has the guts to not delete the look of fear on his face when a wave slaps his hull while hove too at 3:35 into the first installment of his Atlantic crossing. That face again at 6:00.  Few have the the courage to include that honestly.  AND he joined that small cadre of solo sailors who jump overboard for a swim and a wash during a calm mid ocean no harness.  Though he does trail a long line and his ladder is always available.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t watched much Sam.  The bit I watched had me tripping out on his 3D printed screens but horrified over some of his other naïveté.  

But it sounds to me that people are offended that he doesn’t exercise what I call “AM Radio Voice.”  That creepy fake enthusiasm that is required for A/V media appearances.  When I hear it, It makes me want to puke.  I’ve had to learn how to do it.  It makes me want to puke.  When I teach college classes, I try to find a happy medium between “nerd” and “AM Radio.”  IDK if it works.  Some students have told me they had fun.  A few dropped out.  

And there are plenty of bikini babes out there reading their scripts in monotone.  Nobody is complaining about that.  I guess nobody is using their ears for those vids.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, savoir said:

LV will be off the water for something like a year.  Mrs LV has a new baby and they are with it somewhere in Australia.  They have not yet started work on the new boat which is to be built in Vietnam.  It will be interesting to see how they keep their hordes of devoted fans amused during the interim.  Chances are that quite a few will drift away.

Sailing Ruby Rose is in the same boat, minus the baby. They too sold their boat and are waiting for the new one. And they too added one hull. Jump from French coast to Australia has been interesting enough to keep me checking them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Holmes seems like a nice guy I guess. Reminds me of an acquaintance of mine. Not sure what makes his channel so interesting for people though? His channel seems a bit like those early channels and 00’s blogs where people were posting just for friends and family instead of writing letters home like in the old days. Maybe that’s the appeal

for me though it’s either diy advice and inspiration (like atomvoyages) or actually good cinematography and editing, (like sea change), or some pirated reruns of jacques Cousteau 

no time for anything else fraid 

well no

there is this - which I find strangely fascinating 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ROWBOATLOAD said:

He has the guts to not delete the look of fear on his face when a wave slaps his hull while hove too at 3:35 into the first installment of his Atlantic crossing. That face again at 6:00.  Few have the the courage to include that honestly.  AND he joined that small cadre of solo sailors who jump overboard for a swim and a wash during a calm mid ocean no harness.  Though he does trail a long line and his ladder is always available.

^That. I thought "Shit I wouldn't do that, or not for more than 30 seconds, just to say I did it" when he was swimming and diving under the boat mid-ocean.  Plus as others mentioned there is no man bun, and the oscillating between brilliance and slapdash keep it interesting.  He may be a bit closer to Rain Man than the rest of us, but he isn't trying to impress the audience, which is refreshing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

^That. I thought "Shit I wouldn't do that, or not for more than 30 seconds, just to say I did it" when he was swimming and diving under the boat mid-ocean.  Plus as others mentioned there is no man bun, and the oscillating between brilliance and slapdash keep it interesting.  He may be a bit closer to Rain Man than the rest of us, but he isn't trying to impress the audience, which is refreshing.

I got bored of his videos but I like the guy. Whether he’s on the spectrum or not I think the main thing I learned about sailing from Sam is not to over react or under react to anything that happens on the boat, on sea or at the dock. He’s a cool customer.

My guess is the teacher told him to smile for the 1st grade school picture and forgot to tell him to stop. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

I often enjoy your posts and thought of you as I watched this.  Stay bold!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

I often enjoy your posts and thought of you as I watched this.  Stay bold!

 

Ah, thanks Proa!  That's v kind of you.

But really, I am nowhere near the league of Jocelyn Bell Burnell

Link to post
Share on other sites

Though my dutch is not that good, I absolutely enjoy the videos of Jacqueline and her Grinde 'Loveworkx', here is a 20 min video on her 200 miles around the Netherlands:

Grindes are some of the best boats, in my view. And this one is a very, very beautiful one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matagi said:

Grindes are some of the best boats, in my view. And this one is a very, very beautiful one!

Hmm.  The Grinde is quite a pretty boat, but it loos to me very much like an early IOR diamond hull where the stern has been resolved into a canoe shape rather than into a reverse transom.  There is a lot less volume aft than in Bob Perry's double-enders.

That's probably gives slightly better hydrodynamics than the usual IOR diamond hull, but it still looks to me like the type of hull which will have many of the usual IOR vices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In their latest episode, LVB mentioned that they needed visas to go to Vietnam.  Nothing unusual here.  They don't seem to be having any issues getting them.

But, they did mention they need a visa to leave Australia.  That seems particularly weird.  Does anyone know the rationale behind that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Hmm.  The Grinde is quite a pretty boat, but it loos to me very much like an early IOR diamond hull where the stern has been resolved into a canoe shape rather than into a reverse transom.  There is a lot less volume aft than in Bob Perry's double-enders.

That's probably gives slightly better hydrodynamics than the usual IOR diamond hull, but it still looks to me like the type of hull which will have many of the usual IOR vices.

He might disagree.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Hmm.  The Grinde is quite a pretty boat, but it loos to me very much like an early IOR diamond hull where the stern has been resolved into a canoe shape rather than into a reverse transom.  There is a lot less volume aft than in Bob Perry's double-enders.

That's probably gives slightly better hydrodynamics than the usual IOR diamond hull, but it still looks to me like the type of hull which will have many of the usual IOR vices.

One could say it is a rounded off IOR pintail - or with the amount of topside beam and flare that is a rounded off J/29 with a skeg hung on the outboard rudder. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grinde

I believe some did race IOR at around the half ton level and were pretty competitive against other early 70's production half tonners.  Although her 24 foot predecessor (Spaekhugger) had a similar stern and was first built in around 1968 - long before IOR was around.

What sets the Grinde apart from most boats is the very full and rounded (and very non-IOR) spoon bow.  Not a scow bow, but closer than anything else of that era.  It's a shape that looks like it shouldn't work and in videos I've seen it does throw a fair amount of bow spray, but also has a very damped motion upwind.  Kind of reminds me of the the bow on LD's NZL-60 that destroyed Prada back in AC 2000.  NZL-60 threw a lot of spray upwind as well but didn't seem to hurt her upwind speed.

Anyways, I really like the Grinde at least as a fast and roomy cruiser of that size.  I suppose there are a few Grindes in North America but I suspect they are very rare.  A bit of a shame really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lurker19 said:

In their latest episode, LVB mentioned that they needed visas to go to Vietnam.  Nothing unusual here.  They don't seem to be having any issues getting them.

But, they did mention they need a visa to leave Australia.  That seems particularly weird.  Does anyone know the rationale behind that?

Not a rationale, as such -- but here is the lowdown anyhow.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/leaving-Australia

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 3:02 PM, TwoLegged said:

In this video, as in others, Sam Holmes again expresses no emotion at all: no joy, no pleasure, no anger, no frustration, no excitement, no surprise, no boredom, no nothing.  It's as if someone turned him into a robot.

Is he on some sort of psychotropic medication?   Or did he get some sort of lobotomy?

I generally like your posts and you seem to demand fairness, equity etc. from other posters here. But what the heck with your dumping on Sam Holmes? Of all of the things to get excited about you decide to pick on this guy?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guvacine said:

I generally like your posts and you seem to demand fairness, equity etc. from other posters here. But what the heck with your dumping on Sam Holmes? Of all of the things to get excited about you decide to pick on this guy?

That's my honest reaction to watching a few of his videos.  You may have a different reaction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 2:11 AM, TwoLegged said:

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michaelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

(Stolen from Graham Greene)

They didn't even produce that. That was purely German.

But, it did let them focus on their cheeses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rattus32 said:

They didn't even produce that. That was purely German.

But, it did let them focus on their cheeses.

And then on becoming the secret cash stash place for the world's kleptocrats.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The YouTube sailing channels have become quite prolific over the last couple years and there's more popping up everyday. The one's I've stumbled across have been quite entertaining, others inspirational, and some informative (even if not intentional, but just from watching their stupidity play out). All in all I think to myself 'Good for them!' They're out there doing what most dream of, they're sharing their mistakes for others to learn from and maybe they'll inspire someone to get off their ass along the way.

But...there's always a cost, a catch, a price to be paid when one assumes something from a 20 minute video of what it's like to cross an ocean, or giving birth, being a parent..whatever. The same could be said about watching any reality show, sports game, or news cast. The big picture has been reduced to a singular part that only contains one color that can't be differentiated from anything else. You have no idea what you're watching or looking at. You're being told what you're looking at is real... and it's NOT. 

I like to be entertained like most people and I pass my time on social media, watch movies, TV, etc. And after I'm tired of that I go about my life and experience the full spectrum of human emotion from joy to grief that may come my way. I don't seek it out it just happens, like weather. I suppose we watch these "reality" shows to escape our own reality. Maybe that's the worst thing we could all be doing right now.

I hope to run into some of you on some distant shore someday...or maybe not so distant shore and we can share a moment together...a real moment.

 

Cheers! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Elegua said:

The anti-Vag/Delos. Crossing the Atlantic in a small boat the Gallic way.

Simple, but well done. 

Great find, Elegua.  I like their rough-and-ready vibe, and the lack of all the aren't-we-cool shtick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea warrior said:

The heck with all the naysayers 

 

 

He smiled,which is an improvement.  But then, after saying he had been there a few days,he mangled the pronunciation of Kinsale, as "Kinsell". It's "Kin Sale".

How hard is it to ask the locals how to pronounce the name?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

He smiled,which is an improvement.  But then, after saying he had been there a few days,he mangled the pronunciation of Kinsale, as "Kinsell". It's "Kin Sale".

How hard is it to ask the locals how to pronounce the name?

“Kinsell” like “mainsail” or “forecastle”. It’s just nautical talk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

“Kinsell” like “mainsail” or “forecastle”. It’s just nautical talk. 

Haha.  But it's a particular bugbear of mine that American visitors to Ireland seem to be the least likely to learn how to pronounce placenames.  Most Irish placenames in English are English-language transliterations of the Irish-language names, but pronounced similar to the Irish name.

For example, Donegal is pronounced  DUN-ig-AWL (like the Irish Dhún na nGall), but every summer we are awash with Americans talking about Donny GAL.

Similar with Dalkey, which is pronounced DAW-kee, but called slaughtered as Dall KEY by the Americans, with a short "a" like the first syllable of "California".

I long ago developed a firm policy on this.  If tourists asking for directions or other travel advice actually ask how to pronounce, then I take the time to help them learn and make them feel welcome.  But if they get it badly wrong and don't check, then I go full wiley peasant and feed them a pile of verbose theatrics to make their heads explode.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

He smiled,which is an improvement.  But then, after saying he had been there a few days,he mangled the pronunciation of Kinsale, as "Kinsell". It's "Kin Sale".

How hard is it to ask the locals how to pronounce the name?

How hard is it to politely enlighten them?

I live in Buena Vista, Colorado. Proper Spanish pronunciation is BWAY-na veesta. But the local pronunciation is BEW-na Vista.  I always, politely,  correct visitors and offer a brief explanation.

https://buenavistacolorado.org/history/

I lose my patience when people try to correct how I pronounce it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites