Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Not how I recall it. Didn't BS get flicked for attacking Bob over the death of his son? Bob spent a lot of time (rightfully) mocking BS's "designs" but sure didn't stalk him. 

He got flicked for accusing Bob of corruption and financial misdeeds, I think. Whatever it was, Brent was scum.

• Like 2
  • Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

He got flicked for accusing Bob of corruption and financial misdeeds, I think. Whatever it was, Brent was scum.

Having seen BS's behavior to Bob, "scum" is far too mild a word for Brent.

Up to 100 pages on this thread. Congrats all. We’ve gone from girls sailing in a hot place to catamarans full of babies. What does the future hold? Old people on Ranger Tugs and pontoon boats?

3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Up to 100 pages on this thread. Congrats all. We’ve gone from girls sailing in a hot place to catamarans full of babies. What does the future hold? Old people on Ranger Tugs and pontoon boats?

Sounds like we are moving onto saggy old man on spinning bikes sweating to go no where.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Now that you mention it, this guy can be quite interesting….

https://youtube.com/c/AdventuresofanoldSeadog

As I recall, that's the guy who tried to do a pacific passage without antifouling and was delayed several months due to a remarkable amount of marine growth on the hull.  I think I watched one of his videos where he held forth on the view that the mainsail was only worth using on passages longer than four hours due to the effort involved in hoisting and dousing.

99% of singlehanders give the rest of us a bad name, and he's not in the 1%.

14 minutes ago, 2airishuman said:

As I recall, that's the guy who tried to do a pacific passage without antifouling and was delayed several months due to a remarkable amount of marine growth on the hull.  I think I watched one of his videos where he held forth on the view that the mainsail was only worth using on passages longer than four hours due to the effort involved in hoisting and dousing.

Meh!!

Theres an old saying I just made up which goes something like this,  in sailing, we learn by our mistakes or we die.

Some day I’ll regale you with a story about the time my outboard 9.9 fell off in the middle of Lake Michigan.

In the meantime, let’s be mindful of the potential consequences of  building rockeries in glass houses..

Lol

On 8/29/2021 at 5:56 AM, loneshark64 said:

You aren't googling it right

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, savoir said:

100 pages.  Congratulations to you Dylan.  Whoda thunk it !

Time for another SA update to kill off a few long threads so we can start over.

I joke, I joke. Put down the noose.

16 hours ago, 2airishuman said:
16 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

Now that you mention it, this guy can be quite interesting….

https://youtube.com/c/AdventuresofanoldSeadog

Ah go easy on Barry.  He is no philosopher, he'd look crap in a bikini, and he's Captain Slow, but he has successfully and safely solo-sailed his boat from Portugal across the Atlantic, and across the pacific to Kiwiland.   He doesn't push his boat hard, and he doesn't push himself hard at sea, which is probably wise cos he's no youngster.

If that is giving singelanhders a bad name, I dunno what ya gotta do to be in the 1%.  Knit your own sails from seaweed?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Time for another SA update to kill off a few long threads so we can start over.

I joke, I joke. Put down the noose.

Maybe I could convince Reid Stowe to make a comeback.

Void ho !

10 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Egads!  'Honey's' face has been cut on more than our local butcher's countertop! 

honey.jpg

Watched a few seconds of that vid on mute and closed it. Bad juju all around!

5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Ah go easy on Barry.  He is no philosopher, he'd look crap in a bikini, and he's Captain Slow, but he has successfully and safely solo-sailed his boat from Portugal across the Atlantic, and across the pacific to Kiwiland.   He doesn't push his boat hard, and he doesn't push himself hard at sea, which is probably wise cos he's no youngster.

If that is giving singelanhders a bad name, I dunno what ya gotta do to be in the 1%.  Knit your own sails from seaweed?

Tough crowd here. 65-ish jolly old Englishman, former RNLI (volunteer?) singlehands boat from UK to NZ at his own pace, making videos along the way, and gets criticized.  Oh well.  The perils of social media crap, putting your life on display to the madding crowd.  But I suspect he’s got thick skin and doesn’t give a damn. :-)

(But I wonder - as mentioned above, is he actually the one who advocated not going to the trouble to raise a mainsail on certain shorter, like 4 hour, passages?  Curious approach -he seems a competent sailor from what [very] little I’ve watched of his vids.)

• Like 2

Not sure I ever want to see Shayne in a bikini but the channel his family have created is pretty interesting. He's pretty handy on the tools and their Catana 42 has had some interesting modifications made over the past few years.

Old IACC mast section turned into a rotating rig? Yep.

Foredeck from the old Swedish Challenge turned into a hard-top bimini, with sliding hatch in the roof panel? Yep.

Just now, Cristoforo said:

His RNLI connection is a little bit embellished.  He was a volunteer photographer. As are his videos. He gets credit for solo voyaging sure, but has only survived by the grace of God and a lot of luck. 

Please provide a few examples of his only surviving by (1) the grace of God; and (2) a lot of luck.  Just curious.

• Like 1

Sea Dog, and some others I have watched off and on, seem to be falling into the trap of not having a lot of content. The end result is videos transitioning from interesting to the mundane. Evans and Odd went from huge rebuilds to motoring back and forth to different anchorages to avoid wind, Sea Dog recording replacing his head Y valve, and Doodles rotating bikini models while he filters contaminated fuel. All are spending too much time talking at the camera. 

Uma continues to buck the trend, and I await Dylan's return from hibernation. It must be tough to keep up interesting content in the midst of a pandemic, but if you all run across some interesting well produced videos please continue to share. We are a month or two away from the 10 month PNW grey drizzle season and I will need some stimulation.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, steele said:

Sea Dog, and some others I have watched off and on, seem to be falling into the trap of not having a lot of content. The end result is videos transitioning from interesting to the mundane. Evans and Odd went from huge rebuilds to motoring back and forth to different anchorages to avoid wind, Sea Dog recording replacing his head Y valve, and Doodles rotating bikini models while he filters contaminated fuel. All are spending too much time talking at the camera. 

While Delos has gone from lots of refits to yet another crawl around Caribbean tourist hotspots, as if there was any shortage thereof.  The calls for donations are becoming more prominent and more assertive.  I think they have a long-term problem with the characters: Brian and Karin are worthy but dull.  Brady and the short-term crew provided the sparkle.

I agree that Uma has the best content right now.  The sailing itself is most light airs short hops, but the location is stunning and the cinematography is brilliant.  They haven't done the skillshare promos for a while, which helps.

5 hours ago, steele said:

if you all run across some interesting well produced videos please continue to share. We are a month or two away from the 10 month PNW grey drizzle season and I will need some stimulation.

Do you want fine sailing to stimulate your mind?  Or bikinis to stimulate somewhere lower down? :D 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Hes been a liveaboard marina rat for about a  year now.

So has just about every other foreign flagged cruiser that managed to get into NZ before the covid lockdowns happened.

I watch Barry, I think he's a bit of a bumbler, but he's good natured about it all. Easy enough to skip over the really excruciating bits (like when he's trying to make music).

FKT

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Hint to vloggers: Yoga never gets old

Girl: check

Warm place: check

Patreon account: check

Generic white BeneJeneaHunterlina: chec

Manbun: mercifully not

Award for Most Insightful Observation : "We are... underway" [waves hand at everything]

Runner up: "We're doing 3 knots with the main and genoa, which is pretty cool"

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Brian and Karin are worthy but dull.  Brady and the short-term crew provided the sparkle.

They were also in Mauritius, La Reunion, and South Africa etc. Talk about sparkle.  Those were great videos.

• Like 2
Just now, Corryvreckan said:

Award for Most Insightful Observation : "We are... underway" [waves hand at everything]

Baby: check

I think I saw a baby in the vid, in my rapid 15 sec fast forward through it.  Truthfully, the most I could take (the most I can take with just about of these vids) was just a few secs in between fast-forwards, and I’m sure I saw a baby.  If so, big fail... :-)

Sorta ruins the fantasy...I keep thinking of diapers...and diarrhea...in the tropics...

16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Barry has come a long way, not just halfway around the world but in terms of knowledge. In one of his earliest video's he talks about the front sail.

• Like 1

So, Spanish speaking Bloke with excellent teeth makes videos about building off grid cabin sans planning consent..... stopped by rozzers.

Then buys wooden decked unserveyed "ready to go" 30 footer with wooden decks in Guatemala using money from patrons and indulgent dad.... boat more rotten than a rotten thing

26 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

So, Spanish speaking Bloke with excellent teeth makes videos about building off grid cabin sans planning consent..... stopped by rozzers.

Then buys wooden decked unserveyed "ready to go" 30 footer with wooden decks in Guatemala using money from patrons and indulgent dad.... boat more rotten than a rotten thing

Hey but earlier he was in a different crappy boat with 2 hot chicks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

That boat does seem to be fractally f*cked.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, Corryvreckan said:

Goes to one of most popular anchorages in entire island chain during peak season and complains it's crowded: Check

This video (or the bits I watched whilst skipping through) reinforced my opinion that the Instagram/Patreon cruisers must generally have pretty narcissistic character types to spend so much time staging and filming that much of their daily lives. There is no way I'd have the patience keep that shit up enough to create that volume of 'content'.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Zonker said:

I think only a Brit would make that comment. Sorry for reinforcing a stereotype.

Geeze...I thought you Canadians were polite or something. 

32 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

You're fucking right we're polite. To a fucking fault.

Bozo.

You only have yourselves to blame for the stereotypes. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

In America, everyone with a yacht has perfect teeth.

It would be interesting to see a collage of the teeth on this board...probably not up to Youtuber over-whitened standards I'm guessing.

Here's a couple who maintain luminescent smiles. They are both AV professionals, so make some well-produced videos. Always a chill vibe, kind of like YT Sailboat Muzak. They don't seem to have a plan to go anywhere new though. I think it's because she gets seasick every time they venture out of the ICW.

Hell has frozen solid, and Satan is living in a igloo.

Yes, Mads Dahlke's Athena has actually gone sailing.  Sure, only for a few miles in sheltered water in a force 1, but they managed an exhilarating 4 knots.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, Mads Dahlke's Athena has actually gone sailing.  Sure, only for a few miles in sheltered water in a force 1, but they managed an exhilarating 4 knots.

:o Surely it must be time to take down the sails and replace all the stitching.  By hand.  With some exotic thread that requires special tools.  

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, toddster said:

:o Surely it must be time to take down the sails and replace all the stitching.  By hand.  With some exotic thread that requires special tools.  

Haha :D

But the sails look fairly ancient, so that might not be a bad idea for the winter.  But Mads would probably want to do it with complex electronics.

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

80% of the video still seems to be fettling.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I never realised that this warrior would fit well in the ugly dodger collection. At first I thought Mad's personnal tastes were to blame, but apparently it was there already when he got it. 

49 minutes ago, leuk said:

I never realised that this warrior would fit well in the ugly dodger collection. At first I thought Mad's personnal tastes were to blame, but apparently it was there already when he got it. 

My personal taste may be to blame, but I think the very angular dodger goes well with the sharp-cornered deck house. But I don't find Mads' boat particularly pretty...

58 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Binky has its engine running, Sail Life has sailed….the world’s gone mad…

Yes, but Sail life isn't going to be wrapped around a tree, which is the likely fate of Binky (according to the BinkyPeople)

4 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, but Sail life isn't going to be wrapped around a tree, which is the likely fate of Binky (according to the BinkyPeople)

At this rate Sail Life will try to stay in the Caribbean during Hurricane season and Binky will remain an un-driven garage queen. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

My personal taste may be to blame, but I think the very angular dodger goes well with the sharp-cornered deck house. But I don't find Mads' boat particularly pretty...

Well it's far from being the ugliest dodger of them all, granted. Some of those in that collection are downright dangerous for the retinas. So what about a Dodger that looks too much like a spaceship from the 80s collection?

4 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I think pretty is relative.  The Warrior38 had 4 sleeping cabins + 2 heads in a 38-foot boat, so by rights it should  have ended up like a pregnant whale.  But it mostly looks ok, which is quite an achievement. 

26 minutes ago, leuk said:

Well it's far from being the ugliest dodger of them all, granted. Some of those in that collection are downright dangerous for the retinas. So what about a Dodger that looks too much like a spaceship from the 80s collection?

:ph34r: Whereas I immediately got out the drawings to see if that design would simplify construction of my own nascent  Ugly Dodger.  Sadly, the deckhouse is too narrow.  But I could totally dig the Colonial Viper cockpit vibe.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, toddster said:

:ph34r: Whereas I immediately got out the drawings to see if that design would simplify construction of my own nascent  Ugly Dodger.  Sadly, the deckhouse is too narrow.  But I could totally dig the Colonial Viper cockpit vibe.  

Alternatively, 

635x423_100_300_000000x10x0.png

For those Newbies who still believe that modern production cats don't sink:

1.  So glad this ended without serious medical issues (not counting the trauma of the skipper and owner).

2.  Kudos to the Hellenic Coast Guard.  Seems like they were super fast to respond (always good to see).

3.  Check those thru-hulls kiddies!

Happy Labor Day to all you SA Ruffians!

Yacht SINKS, Crazy Experience in the Middle of Greek Sea (Life-raft, Helicopter,...) - YouTube

4 minutes ago, Ruminator said:

1.  So glad this ended without serious medical issues (not counting the trauma of the skipper and owner).

2.  Kudos to the Hellenic Coast Guard.  Seems like they were super fast to respond (always good to see).

Yacht SINKS, Crazy Experience in the Middle of Greek Sea (Life-raft, Helicopter,...) - YouTube

Any details on what caused they to go down?  I was looking for an open escape hatch!

37 minutes ago, Ruminator said:

I think I might have saved the cell phone batteries for communication instead of making YouTube videos.  But I have twisted priorities, I know.  

• Like 3

Hawaii then - and now.  Two “old time” cruisers show and tell about the free and easy good ol’ days” in Hawaii, vs. the nowadays there, with rules and regulations and people monitoring your comings and going.  (Beware: occasional old VHS footage, in case your eyes aren’t trained for very low resolution images :-) )

Yes, the world gets smaller.  

The days of Robin Lee Graham, where you could just wash up on the shore and work a few weeks to earn your next passage are gone.  

Visas, Permits, Cruising Fees.  And who can Blame them?

Now we read blogs of dirtbag cruisers who have to make their sailing decisions on what fees they can afford.  

Douglass Adams reminds us of tourist planets so popular that they weigh everyone coming and going, and extract any excess mass before they leave.

Old lighthouses where I used to roll under my parked truck to sleep are now Disneyfied attractions where you have to pay to take a trolly to see.

One of my Mom’s friends told me that she could always tell when the train pulled into Los Angeles, because she could smell the orange blossoms.  LMFAO.  That disappeared a hundred years ago.

When I was a kid, the dogs roamed far and wide and visited all the neighbors within a few miles. Now, they’re supposed to be tied up 24/7 and the neighbors call 911 if they see a dog.   

We can go farther North and South into harder country. But it’s all disappearing.  

You can designate a tract as a “wilderness area” but that only means that thousands if people will descend on it, screaming and shitting.

Daniel Boone wouldn’t even know what to do.  

• Like 5

IIRC, they paid Big Bucks for a used unit. Far more than the value of their boat. Then more Bucks for a new saildrive unit, as the first one never worked correctly.  IDK what issues developed since then.  I guess that's one example of how it can pay to be very public with your problems.    

1 minute ago, toddster said:

IIRC, they paid Big Bucks for a used unit. Far more than the value of their boat. Then more Bucks for a new saildrive unit, as the first one never worked correctly.  IDK what issues developed since then.  I guess that's one example of how it can pay to be very public with your problems.    

I thought they were given the first OceanVolt as a freebie from catamaran man, then given the new saildrive leg as a freebie from OceanVolt.

• Like 1

Actually it seems like there is an un-serviced niche in the market. Why not some handsome sailing gentlemen in very small swimsuits to capture the attention of women (and men) who appreciate that sort of thing?

We sailed with a young couple for a while that had no anchor windlass (on a 36' boat). The women on other boats would look forward to watching the male member of the crew pull up the anchor. Much sighing and fanning of fevered brows...

32 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I thought they were given the first OceanVolt as a freebie from catamaran man, then given the new saildrive leg as a freebie from OceanVolt.

IDK. I thought I recalled some discussion of costs.  But it's possible that I looked that up from some other source after seeing the vids.

38 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Actually it seems like there is an un-serviced niche in the market. Why not some handsome sailing gentlemen in very small swimsuits to capture the attention of women (and men) who appreciate that sort of thing?

We sailed with a young couple for a while that had no anchor windlass (on a 36' boat). The women on other boats would look forward to watching the male member of the crew pull up the anchor. Much sighing and fanning of fevered brows...

A while back, I saw a couple of episodes of one - can't recall any identifying information - that featured a young woman leading a tall muscle-bound stud around the Caribbean like a dumb ox on a tether.  I don't recall that he said much at all and she had poor narration skills.  Looked like she dressed him and arranged for him to "perform" a few near-naked tricks shots in each episode.  Doesn't seem to have caught on.  Or maybe YouTube just gave up on pushing it to me.