Another stolen boat.

PinkSpinnaker

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why have the owners not posted themselves on Sailing Anarchy?

So desperate that they have not considered Sailing Anarchy...home of the angry sailboat owner to tell their story?

Hmmmm......

Then again the Driver might have decided that it was time to retire. He crosses the border launches the boat and then sells the truck.

OK...Roll Call for all Anarchists with CDL A licenses!!! Who is missing?

Also that looks like a Bob Perry Design....has he commented on why so many of his boats tend to be stolen? Superior Speed? Crooks enjoy the interior layout? Street Creed...as in ..."Yo Boo..I just boosted a Perry".....

Then again it might be a Taswell 49 - Bill Dixon Design....

Can we get a positive ID on this boat and comment by the Designer?

Oh.....some Trucker is in trouble.......

Many may not know this but when not designing award winning custom yachts Bob fights crime...

Oh.....some Trucker is in trouble.......

Many may not know this but when not designing award winning custom yachts Bob fights crime...

Who was that masked man?

I'd leave on a road trip to find it today but I am having Ron Holland and Laurie Davidson to my shack for a quiet little luncheon tomorrow and I can't miss that.

I know, I know,,,pics or it didn't happen.

You can be certain I will get pics.

Sometimes truckers get a bit weird and park their load in odd places and just take off for a break.

Does anyone know where the boat was last seen?

I lurked onto Lutris' website and apparently the boat is being delivered from Tampa Florida area to Seattle area. They reported that the driver had health issues took some time off, but that was weeks ago. Driver is apparently communicating with the owner to some extent.

Boat has been in transit approx. three weeks prior to June 10th....Like a month and a half so far.

Could have sailed it there by now.

I'd leave on a road trip to find it today but I am having Ron Holland and Laurie Davidson to my shack for a quiet little luncheon tomorrow and I can't miss that.

I know, I know,,,pics

NOT PICS - That is a great piece for Sailing Magazine. Record the conversation and have it typed up. Edit out the non-PC stuff. Cover Picture of the three of you with either sailboat models or plans on a table.

Ok....once the non-PC stuff is edited out we would have a small 2" by 2" box.....but still a good small piece with a picture!

Nice name dropping, Bobby. Not to mention the self deprecating mention of a shack.

All that's missing from the top three behaviors of a narcissist is the mention of blue collar friends like a trucker ... oh, wait ...

One just can't make this shit up!

You did! Those are not the top three behaviors of a narcissist.

However these are the top three common traits of Stalkers.

1. Stalkers will not take no for an answer

2. Stalkers display an obsessive personality

3. Stalkers are above average in intelligence and are usually smarter than a normal person with mental illness

This is really not a good Top Ten list to have cited about yourself.... 4-10 are just ugly, ugly and god awful ugly...

As for Bob all he does is the top three traits that good ol Nathanael Greene Herreshoff advised all of those who wanted to be successful in the Yacht biz

​1. Great Design

​2. Great Engineering

​3. Just the right amount of Barnum and Bailey

​This Circus has multiple rings. If you don't like what is going on in this one there are plenty of others...have you tried Political Anarchy?

Nice name dropping, Bobby. Not to mention the self deprecating mention of a shack.

All that's missing from the top three behaviors of a narcissist is the mention of blue collar friends like a trucker ... oh, wait ...

Someone pee in your Wheaties this morning Wayne?

Mooner is just a bitter guy. That's OK. It takes all kinds. He has little to show but his obsession with me. I find that quite weird.

Strings: Nope. That was a Nordic 40. My 5 seconds of glory!

If I had anyone half that cool visiting with me, I'd sure as heck mention it - and somewhere relevant too, - you honestly think 98% of Americans could identify any of the 3 ? And here you are busting his balls over it ?

Sad. Just plain old Sad.

Hope you guys have a laugh or two and enjoy the meal for all the great designers that couldn't make it ( you know - Gary, Carl, etc. )

Someone pee in your Wheaties this morning Wayne?

And he seemed so much less bitter prior to putting his boat on the beach.

I'm sorry Mooner lost his boat. But he's still a troubled person.

Am I name dropping? Am I doing a "Whoo Hoo look at me"?

Yep, that I am and I'm not sorry for it. I'm really happy about it. How many of you would like lunch with Laurie and Ron? I'm a big fan. Fuck the haters.

" Hey kid, how would you like to meet the Beatles?"

IMG_4650_zps5e80c7e5.jpg

Come on Bob tell the truth....

Bob Perry's other job is as an over the road trucker specializing in moving his boats. Here he is pictured with his Volvo VN Sleeper Cab.

All this talk of yacht design penates gathering for lunch reminds me of the feeling I get when I find old jazz records. "Oh my GOD, Oscar AND Stuff AND Barney all together one room!" (well duh, they were contemporaries....but still--kinda cool).

Bob's success with boats drove him to try his design skills with cars. He thought that he could bring something new to Law Enforcement.

Double Ender Police Cruiser - Needless to say what works on the water does not always do well with law enforcement

post-195-0-55492800-1467837952_thumb.jpg

If moonduster's boat went on the beach it must have been the designer's fault.

No other possible explanation.

No...but funny in a weird way....as Stalkers tend to redirect their anger at those whom they stalk. ..... Bob watch out!!!!!

HIDE THE BUNNY!!!!

post-195-0-41491700-1467838330_thumb.jpg

oh crap I'm now stalking Bob...with very bad taste comedy...... MUST GET FINGERS AWAY FROM KEYBOARD...SHUT DOWN COMPUTER ....GO SAILING.....

Kent: That;'s my buddy Mark Platt's rig. He stayed at the shack for a few days and parked it in the driveway. He was worried about the neighbors. My neighbors went crazy They all wanted rides! Mark is a sailor. He would not let me drive the truck but we went for a ride. I learned a respect for what it takes to drive a big truck and I am comfy having my pic taken at the wheel. I'm not ready to drive it yet. Mark is working on the missing boat mystery. I am very lucky to have a very diverse group of friends.

Fast: The alu peapod became increasingly complex to build due to the thin gauge alu I wanted to use. With complexity of build came expense and I simply lost interest. Maybe some day.

IMG_4658_zps1dc00c21.jpg

Speaking of double enders, what ever came of the aluminum peapod?

Fast,

The peapod is still lurking around on my computer.

I scaled it down to 1/3 the beam and 1/2 the length for a friend with a CNC machine to cut panels and make a plywood version for amas for a 14' Whitehall that worked out pretty nice. If I ever get my Titanium project going there may be an opportunity to try the 16'er in 3mm Ti from scrap. I think it could also be formed up out of something like Royaltex and welded with one of those poly welders that work like a hot melt glue gun. I need to look at the weight of what it would be in Ti, probably too heavy in 3mm. Jim was concerned at tearing the corners in 3mm Al. If anyone wants to try in in ply/epoxy then send me a PM.

hEqpmk5.png

glCek09.png

Yeah, there were quite a few variations on the peapod. After looking at some amazing metal forming videos especially where a Japanese master beats a panel into shape for one of the Rocket Trains, I changed the name to the Peened Pod. Jim has a very rare powered English Wheel tool that could probably just roll enough shape into a sheet of Ti or Al and get a compounded panel for each side in one piece. Then just tack it to a stem/keel like in the illustration that Bob shows here.

Fast: I live on a beach that is sand and rocks. About 85% rocks I'd say. I wanted a boat I could drag up the beach by myself. I designed a wheel that hung off the astern and pivoted up but it looked like a wheel hung off the stern that pivoted up, i.e. shite!

Hi Bob.

When you see Laurie Davidson, tell him that we are loving one of his designs. My 'new to sailing' crew wanted to try offshore racing so I bought a Cavalier 350SL (Davidson 35). I love this boat. :-)

She's comfy at sea, and we have pushed her as hard as you can push a 20yo boat, but we always feel safe and have a ball.

Love his work.

Sorry for being off topic but, when someone has achieved I think that we should take every chance to pat them on the back.

Back to normal programming ,,,,,,

Scozzer:

Hey, life is "off topic". No problem.

Hell, this is a missing boat thread?

I have a list of "Tell; L&R I said hello". I'm happy to send your wishes along but I need you real name. Remember that name that was good enough for your Granpa?

Send me a PM with your real name and I'll be sure to say hello to Laurie for you.

After I am done grovelling.

Looks like I'm late to my own party. It is my boat, yes, of Bob's design, and yes a Norseman 447. The trucker Leonard "Rocky" Clark, whom I got from Dudley Trucking in WA, picked her up on the 20th of May 2016, and gave us a transit time of 8-10 days. He has since admitted to transporting the boat to one of his properties in Durant, OK where the boat is reported to be sitting. Since then he has constantly said the boat is a few days away, but will not complete the transport, or provide proof of the boats condition, nor it's exact whereabouts so that it could be inspected. Finally after getting completely frustrated I took to Facebook and Instagram, and through a friend of a friend who lived in the area found the boat at a truck stop.

Once I confronted Rocky with this he started coming clean. he basically told too many lies, and couldn't see his way out of it anymore. I'd kinda feel bad, if the worm hadn't been keeping my boat from me for the last 6 weeks. He says his tanks are dry and he has no money, and the only way the boat is getting here is if I send him more. Here's the part where I admit I'm an asshat ... I sent him the entire contracted amount 6 weeks ago. Yes, I was a fool. Yes, to trusting, and yes generally an asshat, but how was I supposed to know, other than find my way back to SA and ask, but hell. So here is is extorting me for more money, and all I want is my boat, I want it more than I want to punish him, and I want it more than I want my money back ... That being said, I can't be the asshole that would send this guy even more money, right. So I'm not going to, instead I'm flying down to Oklahoma tomorrow and renting a car to follow behind him, and pay for his fuel all along the way.

So, what say you SA? Sorry Bob if I'm hijacking "my" thread back.

What does Dudley say? They've been around for a generation or two.....is he a subcontractor to them?

Gerald over at Dudley says he can't believe it. Rocky won't answer his calls either. Gerald put Rocky and I in touch but since the contract was between Rocky and I, Gerald says he's not responsible, and he at least seems like he is being helpful, although it's hard not to question how much he really knew this whole time.

What does Dudley say? They've been around for a generation or two.....is he a subcontractor to them?

Gerald over at Dudley says he can't believe it. Rocky won't answer his calls either. Gerald put Rocky and I in touch but since the contract was between Rocky and I, Gerald says he's not responsible, and he at least seems like he is being helpful, although it's hard not to question how much he really knew this whole time.

I think Dudley should go retrieve the boat for you. They carry some culpability here.

I think Dudley should go retrieve the boat for you. They carry some culpability here.

I couldn't agree more, but they apparently don't see it that way. Gerald thinks it's sad that it worked out this way, but not his fault, he says if he had known that Rocky was in bad shape, he wouldn't have given him this job ... not he wouldn't have given him any job, just not this one. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but you know that feeling you get when the little voice tells you you're getting lied to ... Gerald make that little voice of mine sing. Maybe I've been burned too many times during this, but it's hard to imagine you don't know what "your guys" are up to.

If he can't afford fuel how can he afford long haul insurance?

That's a good question. Obviously not one I know the answer too, but I know the policy still exists because I've spoken to his insurance company. I can only assume it was paid before he got himself into this mess.

The contract was only signed with Rocky, when I asked Gerald at Dudley about that, way back before the boat was picked up, he said that's just how it's done. So many people I know and trust recommended Gerald at Dudley, that I didn't even think to question it.

I feel sorry for you and your situation. I hope it works out. This guy Rocky then goes to a truck stop and waits for a loboy load without money. Owner Operator life is not fun.

I feel sorry for you and your situation. I hope it works out. This guy Rocky then goes to a truck stop and waits for a loboy load without money. Owner Operator life is not fun.

I'm sure it's not. As I said I feel bad for him. I think one thing slipped, maybe the truck needed work, then the lies had to start. As usual it was the dishonesty that put him in the bind. Ironically I was considering a pretty big f**king tip for him, when he was supposed to be here on the 31st of May. I felt like I had gotten a good value, and I wanted to reward his effort, but once it was all lies that flies out the window.

Like I've had a slip at the marina waiting since June 10th (I figured I had a week or so in the yard), I still have gotten to pay for that, despite it being empty, I've gotten to deal with the yard and the rigger every time they scheduled me in. I'm still gonna have to make it right with those guys. If he had been straight at the very least that could have been avoided. Or maybe I would have said, "listen I was going to tip you a few grand anyway, will that solve whatever problem got you into this?"

My mother was right, dishonesty will get you nowhere, except maybe in politics where it will apparently get you any office you aspire to.

Dudley? Hard to imagine. He's been the guy around here for ever. Very sorry to hear that.

Who are you talking to at Dudley?

Hey Bob. I've been talking to Gerald over at Dudley, we talk nearly everyday. He continually tells me how amazed he is that Rocky would do this. He's been mostly helpful with words, not so much with action.

Dudley? Hard to imagine. He's been the guy around here for ever. Very sorry to hear that.

Who are you talking to at Dudley?

he's mentioned gerard at dudley's like 10 times !! get with it old timer !

This from my trucker friend Mark:

Mark There is a whole lot more going on, it is definitely a "DO NOT USE" warning situation for the carrier and whomever else is involved. I am in contact with the vessel owners, and I will offer any assistance I can give. I will get with LUTRIS' owner tomorrow, again and try to get enough back story to make sure the situation is properly resolved. Also, I may try to see if I can speak with the carrier/freight broker, and it is very possible that we can arrange to get some money returned to the vessel owner, once the dust has settled and the vessel is where it should have been already.

There are pressures that can be brought to bear in the industry that have significant consequences, and we can make sure that others are not abused in this manner. Yacht hauling is not a business that will tolerate a bad reputation, the sailing community is too closely knit for bad service and an unresponsive carrier. In my experience carriers and freight brokers who want to maintain good business will go a long way to keep a bad report from hurting them.

Owner emailed me and is talking with Mark.

Another trucker just contacted me and said he saw the boat yesterday, he thinks, and will be in the same area today. Saw the boat in the Seattle area.

I asked him to take a pic and email it to me for verification.

Mark There is a whole lot more going on, it is definitely a "DO NOT USE" warning situation for the carrier and whomever else is involved. I am in contact with the vessel owners, and I will offer any assistance I can give. I will get with LUTRIS' owner tomorrow, again and try to get enough back story to make sure the situation is properly resolved. Also, I may try to see if I can speak with the carrier/freight broker, and it is very possible that we can arrange to get some money returned to the vessel owner, once the dust has settled and the vessel is where it should have been already.

There are pressures that can be brought to bear in the industry that have significant consequences, and we can make sure that others are not abused in this manner. Yacht hauling is not a business that will tolerate a bad reputation, the sailing community is too closely knit for bad service and an unresponsive carrier. In my experience carriers and freight brokers who want to maintain good business will go a long way to keep a bad report from hurting them.

1) Too late, this bad report has already hurt Dudley Boat Transportation: http://www.dudleyboats.com/

2) From trucker Mark's FB page - whoa!!!

Socialism is slavery, and the candidates we have are all three horrible, but two of them are devoted to big government and are socialists/communists and the other one is just a bit better. Sanders and Clinton are devoted to a philosophy that all your assets, all your labors, and all of your property are gifts and privileges given you by the government. The government giveth, the government taketh away, blessed be the name of the bureaucracy.

Trump is far, really far, from perfect, however he still believes in America, and he probably thinks we should at least be allowed to keep most of our earnings and property.

In this election it is imperative that we look for and elect very strong conservatives in the House and Senate, and in any gubernatorial races. We should be looking also for potential mid term candidates who are even stronger Constitutional Conservatives.

If we choose unwisely in this election we risk civil war. Please, do not jeopardize our freedoms with "never Trump" stupidity, you literally are risking everything out of stupidity and stubbornness. Please, please, please do not elect Sanders or Clinton, they will complete the destruction of our nation and ensure that the stage is set for the most bloody civil war in human history. This is no joke, no game, this is not the time to ask what government can do for you, but to ask can I accept the fact that I must stand up and vote for the only candidate who will not immediately plunge us into further danger with social policies that will complete the destruction of our economy and national sovereignty.

1) Too late, this bad report has already hurt Dudley Boat Transportation: http://www.dudleyboats.com/

Socialism is slavery, and the candidates we have are all three horrible, but two of them are devoted to big government and are socialists/communists and the other one is just a bit better. Sanders and Clinton are devoted to a philosophy that all your assets, all your labors, and all of your property are gifts and privileges given you by the government. The government giveth, the government taketh away, blessed be the name of the bureaucracy.

Trump is far, really far, from perfect, however he still believes in America, and he probably thinks we should at least be allowed to keep most of our earnings and property.

In this election it is imperative that we look for and elect very strong conservatives in the House and Senate, and in any gubernatorial races. We should be looking also for potential mid term candidates who are even stronger Constitutional Conservatives.

If we choose unwisely in this election we risk civil war. Please, do not jeopardize our freedoms with "never Trump" stupidity, you literally are risking everything out of stupidity and stubbornness. Please, please, please do not elect Sanders or Clinton, they will complete the destruction of our nation and ensure that the stage is set for the most bloody civil war in human history. This is no joke, no game, this is not the time to ask what government can do for you, but to ask can I accept the fact that I must stand up and vote for the only candidate who will not immediately plunge us into further danger with social policies that will complete the destruction of our economy and national sovereignty.

Did you really have to dig all that up? <_<

Did you really have to dig all that up? <_<

No digging required. I clicked the "Mark" link in Bob's post and it all jumped out. Way out there... crazy shit.

Owner emailed me and is talking with Mark.

Another trucker just contacted me and said he saw the boat yesterday, he thinks, and will be in the same area today. Saw the boat in the Seattle area.

I asked him to take a pic and email it to me for verification.

Must have been a different boat. We've confirmed her location as Oklahoma as recently as 4PM yesterday. I'm flying down there today, which may be very foolhearty, but at this point in time, I'm not willing to let the boat out of my sight again.

Your worried about a CDL A's religon and politics? WOW!

I know a little bit about the biz...you may have noticed that I can ID tractors. Please give me CDL A with a Bob Jones Degree, Trump stickers and doesn't like Halliburtan any, any .....I do mean any day of the freakin week..... lately I have been happy if they speak fluent English since we now have to respect Mexican CDL A's just as if they are our own..

Multiple felony no problem! Drive a truck!! As long as they don't have multiple DUI's nobody seems to care.

I got his contact info. Does this guy deliver boats?

If this is just something to needle Bob about it backfires in a bad way... Just goes to show that Bob's list of he knows a guy who can get stuff done is long.

FWIW I used Dudley to haul a Columbia 43 from SF Bay to West Van in 2003. They were flawless and very reasonable. They also saved me about the equivalent of their fee because they knew more about Canada Customs reg's than the idiots at Canada Customs. If I had followed those idiots instructions it would have cost me $thousand$

If this is just something to needle Bob about it backfires in a bad way... Just goes to show that Bob's list of he knows a guy who can get stuff done is long.

What has backfired is Bob Perry's typical M.O. of thread hijacking to make it all about him. He and his friend Mark have done absolutely NOTHING to help Dartanyon find his boat or get any of his money back (yet).

As to "the evil demon Haliburton", that bit of fiction written by trucker Mark is demented satire. Taken as a whole, the implication is that trucker Mark very much supported the actions by "the Bushes and Cheney and Halliburton". Read it for yourself.

Finally, I'm not going to argue politics here or in P.A., except to say that anyone who believes Trump is good for this country in any way, shape or form is round the bend, off the deep end, bat shit crazy.

Good luck Dartanyon.

FWIW I used Dudley to haul a Columbia 43 from SF Bay to West Van in 2003. They were flawless and very reasonable.

+1

I hired Dudley to haul my Ericson-32 from LA to PNW. They were great to work with, and when it turned out they couldn't have a truck there on the schedule I wanted, they subbed the job to Piazza and Sons. Rick, the Piazza driver, did a phenomenal job, loaded the boat meticulously, kept in touch, got there ahead of schedule, great job. Thoroughly happy with the service I got from both companies.

I will note that when Dudley subbed the job, my contract ended up being with Piazza, not Dudley. It was Piazza's truck, Piazza's insurance, etc. Took me a while to decide it was okay, because I really wanted to have Dudley on my side if anything went wrong. Happy that it turned out okay, but I can see how Dartanyon's mess could happen.

Mark The owner of LUTRIS is going to call me later today, I am hoping we can get him some of the money back.

I will call you later today, I probably won't be able to meet up this trip, but we will plan a time asap hehe

Thanks Mark for the help on this. See you soon hopefully. I owe you a big, 2" thick Porterhouse steak from Silvana Meats.

Proa is so full of shit I don't know where to start.

First of all, the thread was started by a Thistle sailor in Ohio who happened across this problem. It wasn't his problem. Just a boaty topic to start.

Second, the thread didn't have anywhere else to go but chat. Because there wasn't anything really to do other than that. The party involved was not part of the thread!

AFTER Bob and I and some other guys were shooting the breeze on here (what Proa calls a thread "hijack"--what a putz) the owner of the boat discovers the thread and posts.

Third--once that happens, Bob tries to help. That's right, tries to help..

Proa is so full of shit I don't know where to start.

First of all, the thread was started by a Thistle sailor in Ohio who happened across this problem. It wasn't his problem. Just a boaty topic to start.

Second, the thread didn't have anywhere else to go but chat. Because there wasn't anything really to do other than that. The party involved was not part of the thread!

AFTER Bob and I and some other guys were shooting the breeze on here (what Proa calls a thread "hijack"--what a putz) the owner of the boat discovers the thread and posts.

Third--once that happens, Bob tries to help. That's right, tries to help..

+1

Bob is why I ever bothered to register and a major reason I still come here. There will always be a handful of small minded bitchy folk with nothing to offer. CA has become my favorite forum as the noise level is much lower than the rest of SA.

"Some of his money back..." OK, I have no experience in professional sailboat hauling, just typical business experience with cartage companies. Failure to deliver in a reasonable time sounds like breach of contract. Having to fly to Oklahoma to locate and verify the cargo seems like a big hassle, expense, and a major loss of income. Being without my boat would be a big stress. I'm not a very nice person kind of stress. I'd be demanding insurance to make good on the boat and expect them to track it down for recovery, or if that fails asking somebody for my money back plus legal and slip expenses, and letting a new contract. My lawyer would be determining who gets asked. Crossing state lines is extra legal expense, since Harley likely isn't licensed in those places. The boat wasn't in danger at the onset of the contract, so a partial job is not better then no job. I have no idea how customary it is to prepay for a boat haul. FDX and UPS make me prepay, failure to deliver becomes an insurance claim. if I hired redneck gypsy neighbor's brother in law to tow my boat I could see partial down, remainder on delivery, and next of kin for baseball bat therapy if the boat disappears or is seized full of drugs. If I hired a pro, I would expect a seamless process with contingencies for a rogue driver. What gives?

What has backfired is Bob Perry's typical M.O. of thread hijacking to make it all about him. He and his friend Mark have done absolutely NOTHING to help Dartanyon find his boat or get any of his money back (yet).

As to "the evil demon Haliburton", that bit of fiction written by trucker Mark is demented satire. Taken as a whole, the implication is that trucker Mark very much supported the actions by "the Bushes and Cheney and Halliburton". Read it for yourself.

Finally, I'm not going to argue politics here or in P.A., except to say that anyone who believes Trump is good for this country in any way, shape or form is round the bend, off the deep end, bat shit crazy.

Good luck Dartanyon.

Proa, if I may, Mark has spent hours with me, a total stranger talking and messaging back and forth, he's given me lots of good advice, and I am very appreciative of it. I'm going to leave the politics out of it. Getting my money back would be icing on the cake, right now we just want our boat back, and I'm on a plane flying on to this truckers "home turf". I've said it before, he's a desperate man, in a bad situation, and people like that do very unpredictable things. So, I'm hoping to get the boat up here ... then worry about anything else.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Mark The owner of LUTRIS is going to call me later today, I am hoping we can get him some of the money back.

I will call you later today, I probably won't be able to meet up this trip, but we will plan a time asap hehe

Thanks Mark for the help on this. See you soon hopefully. I owe you a big, 2" thick Porterhouse steak from Silvana Meats.

Bob, thanks for connecting us, Mark has been an invaluable resource. I'll certainly owe him at least a steak. You too probably.

Good luck Dartanyon.

Have a week away from the keyboard Proa, we all need a break

"Some of his money back..." OK, I have no experience in professional sailboat hauling, just typical business experience with cartage companies. Failure to deliver in a reasonable time sounds like breach of contract. Having to fly to Oklahoma to locate and verify the cargo seems like a big hassle, expense, and a major loss of income. Being without my boat would be a big stress. I'm not a very nice person kind of stress. I'd be demanding insurance to make good on the boat and expect them to track it down for recovery, or if that fails asking somebody for my money back plus legal and slip expenses, and letting a new contract. My lawyer would be determining who gets asked. Crossing state lines is extra legal expense, since Harley likely isn't licensed in those places. The boat wasn't in danger at the onset of the contract, so a partial job is not better then no job. I have no idea how customary it is to prepay for a boat haul. FDX and UPS make me prepay, failure to deliver becomes an insurance claim. if I hired redneck gypsy neighbor's brother in law to tow my boat I could see partial down, remainder on delivery, and next of kin for baseball bat therapy if the boat disappears or is seized full of drugs. If I hired a pro, I would expect a seamless process with contingencies for a rogue driver. What gives?

Lark, I do expect all of those things, but in this reality ... none of those people give a shit. I'm sure it will take every bit of self restraint I have not to tear Rocky's head from his body when I see him. But the most important thing to me is the boat being in Seattle, so I'll do whatever it takes to make that happen, and then shake the rest of it out when I get back. I've spoken with his insurance, filed a claim, that I have now told them I need to do more research on, so at least it's on file, and there will be no way out of it.

Yes, prepaying, completely my fuck up. You can get in line right behind my wife on that one, but I've never moved a boat before, and I had ever indication that Dudley would have done right by me, from all accounts of the countless people I talked to here in the NW, they were the bee's knees. So I never balked when Rocky said he needed it all up front, I should have, but I didn't.

Dartanyon: Why isn't insurance taking the lead? They seem to have the loss unless they find the boat and sort out the rogue driver. Obviously you want YOUR boat and not cash, but I assume it would be cheaper for them to threaten if not charge the driver with theft, and hire somebody (likely cheaper then an the price you would be quoted) to get the boat delivered instead of actually paying you for the boat. Everybody's happy but the driver. Either way, good luck getting your boat back an please update us when you do.

Anyone: If hiring a whole semi instead of just shipping boxes or pallets, is it customary to pay part or all on delivery? Might be useful info someday.

Dartanyon: Why isn't insurance taking the lead? They seem to have the loss unless they find the boat and sort out the rogue driver. Obviously you want YOUR boat and not cash, but I assume it would be cheaper for them to threaten if not charge the driver with theft, and hire somebody (likely cheaper then an the price you would be quoted) to get the boat delivered instead of actually paying you for the boat. Everybody's happy but the driver. Either way, good luck getting your boat back an please update us when you do.

Anyone: If hiring a whole semi instead of just shipping boxes or pallets, is it customary to pay part or all on delivery? Might be useful info someday.

Lark, First, no, it's not customary to pay in advance, at least not in asking around after the fact. The norm seems to be half up front and half on delivery.

The insurance company wants me to prove that the boat has been stolen. The Seattle PD wants me to prove that the contract has been breached prior to calling the boat stolen. I can't "prove" the breach of contract without getting him to court ... that process, which I started, is what got Rocky to call me, and what has lead to our current arrangement. I am sure that I could have convinced the insurance company to have pursued it, and they probably would have been successful, but it would have taken longer almost certainly. With the claim filed, but not defined, I can go after them, and him, AFTER the boat is here. Just the logistics of getting another truck there and finding a 20 ton travel lift wasn't something that would have been easy. Although I did find a lift on the south end of Lake Texoma, I imagine it would have been hard to convince Rocky to drive the boat there, when he knew he'd be losing all the leverage he has.

Kind of see your predicament. Cops don't want to waste their time when the collar is out of their jurisdiction and it will either be a civil matter or extradition. You would likely need an hourly lawyer to make it 'real' to the Seattle police. And he likely will find reasons for it to take many many hours. Of course it will look more interesting to the cops after you beat the shit out of each other. So breaking his knees is probably not an option. The boat is safely on his trailer I assume, so you sure don't want to move it onto another. If its a leased trailer, that could be another timebomb when the trailer owner decides to repo it. (not to give you more to worry about, but an advantage of a quick solution. Its an expensive asset not earning money). Meanwhile fall is coming and you miss your boat. Sucks.

Makes me really glad to be a small boat guy with a backup. :rolleyes: But I appreciate the opportunity to learn at your expense. Thanks for the explanation.

Have a week away from the keyboard Proa, we all need a break

No, I have as much right to be here and say what I think as anyone else. I didn't post the link to trucker Mark's FB page, I merely clicked on it.

Don't have anything to say.

Laurie Davidson and Ron Holland have just left the shack. It was a truly amazing lunch and afternoon.

I have no words that work to express the fun I had.

Laurie brought his copy of my book so I could sign it.

We want updated.....So where is the boat? I read it is in the Seattle area somewhere? Sounds like that is not the case. Has it been spotted?

I feel bad for you Dartanyon. You are being very cool and collected considering the situation. Good on ya.

We want updated.....So where is the boat? I read it is in the Seattle area somewhere? Sounds like that is not the case. Has it been spotted?

I feel bad for you Dartanyon. You are being very cool and collected considering the situation. Good on ya.

Dartanyon answered these questions in his very first post. His boat is at a truck stop in Durant, Oklahoma. Maybe this one or this one outside of town? Would be nice if Dartanyon had a buddy with him to video his first encounter with Leonard "Rocky" Clark, the unscrupulous truck driver.

Hey all!

I got to the boat this morning at 2:30AM. Then tried to grab a few zzzs. Rocky showed up at 7AM. Apologized about 15 times, and then carried on like we were best friends. I'm fine with that really, as I've said that moving the boat is more important than anything else. The money, the responsibility, that can all be worked out once she's sitting in the yard in Seattle. I got the permits squared away, and filled the tanks, and we made 220 miles to the Kansas border. Apparently the permit for Kansas is all screwed up, has us on a toll road that's not wide enough, so we have to hold here while it gets worked out. Hoping to make 500-600 miles tomorrow.

It's progress! 10% closer to Seattle than she's been. 1980 miles to go. I have not been able to make posting from my phone work, it's clearly my fault, so updates are only going to come when I can get the laptop out. Or if you're really that interested, I've been posting on the Facebook page. Sailing Lutris

Archived