Another stolen boat.

PinkSpinnaker

Wow, Good Job. I bet you are learning way too much about trucking, loboy flatbed loads, width, height and what to eat at truck stops... I will say that I was impressed by Pilot Truck stops shower setup. Far better than most marinas I had been to. Definitely post about your experience when you can because so many posts about buying great boats involve a truck.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Good Job. I bet you are learning way too much about trucking, loboy flatbed loads, width, height and what to eat at truck stops... I will say that I was impressed by Pilot Truck stops shower setup. Far better than most marinas I had been to. Definitely post about your experience when you can because so many posts about buying great boats involve a truck.

Thanks Kent! I am learning way too much about long haul trucking. I can tell you that the bathrooms in this little truck stop in Perry, OK look just like the ones at Harbor Island Marina in Seattle. I'll keep posting updates here, and someday I'll get around to a really redux on this whole situation, maybe someone will be able to avoid all the mistakes I've made.

2016-07-08%2014.21.49.jpg

Bob, you did nice work on this one, she's even beautiful sitting on a shitty trailer, in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

I know a small amount about trucking and zero about a loboy with a sailboat on it. However I thought that a flatbed load needed a tie down each ten feet. So are you missing one? Also because you are paying for gas I suspect that you are also paying for any fines so definitely do a walk around and look for bulbs out etc.

Maybe email Bob's CDL A friend. That boat just does not look like it is well supported or tied down correctly.....once again zero knowledge on the type of load and trailer.

Nice looking boat.

Hey all!

I got to the boat this morning at 2:30AM. Then tried to grab a few zzzs. Rocky showed up at 7AM. Apologized about 15 times, and then carried on like we were best friends. I'm fine with that really, as I've said that moving the boat is more important than anything else. The money, the responsibility, that can all be worked out once she's sitting in the yard in Seattle. I got the permits squared away, and filled the tanks, and we made 220 miles to the Kansas border. Apparently the permit for Kansas is all screwed up, has us on a toll road that's not wide enough, so we have to hold here while it gets worked out. Hoping to make 500-600 miles tomorrow.

It's progress! 10% closer to Seattle than she's been. 1980 miles to go. I have not been able to make posting from my phone work, it's clearly my fault, so updates are only going to come when I can get the laptop out. Or if you're really that interested, I've been posting on the Facebook page. Sailing Lutris

https://www.facebook.com/sailinglutris/

http://sailinglutris.com/

We'll be watching. The video is cool. How about a picture of Leonard "Rocky" Clark?

Good luck.

P.S. Saw this bit of good advice on your FB page:

If you are ever going to have a boat moved, no matter how awesome the driver seems, spend the $100 and put a spot tracker on board.

Thanks Kent! I am learning way too much about long haul trucking. I can tell you that the bathrooms in this little truck stop in Perry, OK look just like the ones at Harbor Island Marina in Seattle. I'll keep posting updates here, and someday I'll get around to a really redux on this whole situation, maybe someone will be able to avoid all the mistakes I've made.

Bob, you did nice work on this one, she's even beautiful sitting on a shitty trailer, in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

My all time favorite design of Bob's.

A rigging company I worked for at the time did alot of install work on one that was going on an extended South Pacific cruise so I really got to see all over the boat.

Have lusted after one ever since.

Hey all!

I got to the boat this morning at 2:30AM. Then tried to grab a few zzzs. Rocky showed up at 7AM. Apologized about 15 times, and then carried on like we were best friends. I'm fine with that really, as I've said that moving the boat is more important than anything else. The money, the responsibility, that can all be worked out once she's sitting in the yard in Seattle. I got the permits squared away, and filled the tanks, and we made 220 miles to the Kansas border. Apparently the permit for Kansas is all screwed up, has us on a toll road that's not wide enough, so we have to hold here while it gets worked out. Hoping to make 500-600 miles tomorrow.

It's progress! 10% closer to Seattle than she's been. 1980 miles to go. I have not been able to make posting from my phone work, it's clearly my fault, so updates are only going to come when I can get the laptop out. Or if you're really that interested, I've been posting on the Facebook page. Sailing Lutris

What a story. Best of luck.

Am I correct in understanding you working with these folks (http://www.dudleyboats.com/) and if so wow you just saved me a bunch of money and headache.

Hey all!

What a story. Best of luck.

Am I correct in understanding you working with these folks (http://www.dudleyboats.com/) and if so wow you just saved me a bunch of money and headache.

Dudley definitely didn't do the right thing here.

What should Dudley do?

As I understand them, the facts are

-- Dudley couldn't do the job and connected the owner with Rocky

-- Owner has a contract with Rocky, not with Dudley

-- The move is on Rocky's insurance, not Dudley's

Dudley has (apparently) reached out to Rocky in an attempt to get things un-stuck, but... IIUC, this isn't a Dudley fuck-up.

What should Dudley do?

Dudley has (apparently) reached out to Rocky in an attempt to get things un-stuck, but... IIUC, this isn't a Dudley fuck-up.

IMHO...also in my own dealings

When Dudley or any other Broker or Trucking firm deals directly with the public the level of clarity should be much higher. This includes an email that describes how a normal transport of your boat works with Dudley that includes a breakdown of who is responsible for what. We are sorry that we cannot accommodate your transport needs during the time period that you request. We can recommend the following Carriers. Attached is a standard yacht transportation agreement. We recommend that you use this as a guideline for your transport needs.

The other scenario is that they acted as Broker and in that case it gets interesting. The secondary reason for doing this is to try to get the customer to alter their schedule so that Dudley could have the business. If the Carrier cannot do the same as Dudley's offer then perhaps the customer will approach Dudley.

I would think that if Dudley did not act as Broker and simply gave a list of Carriers then you are correct and Dudley has zero responsibility. However we live in an era of rapidly changing customer service. So... Dudley may lose some business or have customers who insist of better terms and guarantees.

BIG PROBLEM - BOAT OWNER DID NOT USE SAILING ANARCHY'S FORUMS.....In addition he bought a boat for aprox $165K. You can hire Bob Perry for something like $700 for a year. There are other advisors for less. I just wrote an Attorney bill for $1k.....it was for a few hours....

So who pays the return trip fuel tab?

Once the Owner Operator knows when he should complete the current trip he will contact his representative...usually a Broker who will try to find him a return load to closer where he wants to end the trip.

Don't do this at home ----- The real issue is at what point does the boat owners say FACK THIS!!! A tire blows, a fuel pump goes, he gets taken out of service for a DOT reason. There are so many possible costs on this trip. That truck looks real old to me and I kind of know tractors. Does it need a wrecker for the Tractor....That means he needs another truck to tow the loboy....that also means a CDL A driver who will drive that rather unbalanced load. Cash helps big time in that situation.

I am just watching this show....But everyone of us should get a wake up call to just how little we know about the issues of buying a boat.

What should Dudley do?

It was a play on "Dudley Do-Right", but I do think that since this happened under Dudley's umbrella they could have been a little more than just verbally helpful. Hiring a driver *through* Dudley should place some onus on them to help make it right. Otherwise, why go through Dudley at all?

Having all this dragged onto the internet, with the boat owner saying how useless Dudley has been and that he thought the whole truth was not part of their communication with him, can't be good for business.

650 miles made good today. So that was nice. We're just south of Ft Collins, CO.

There are lots of good points being made. I don't know that I have all the answers.

DUDLEY - Gerald always billed Rocky as "his guy", and I was never told or given any indication that I was dealing with a sub, UNTIL I already was in Florida to load the boat. When Rocky sent me a contract. Gerald continues to stay in these dealings, even talking to both Rocky and I today. He gets paid by Rocky on the back end. So no, maybe not a broker, but CERTAINLY more involved, then "here's a list have a nice day". I was never given a choice of driver, or sub, or waiting or anything. I said, "I need transport for this, it'll be ready on this day at this place." Gerald said "great, I'll have someone there", and that was it. He quoted me the price, and Rocky used the price even saying "what did Gerald quote you for the job." In my world, that would make him an agent, but I know nothing of this world. I WILL SAY THIS, I'm not willing at this moment to bring up any responsibility with Dudley until the boat gets to Seattle. It would be too easy to call Rocky and say "stop moving. "

One mention, Gerald at Dudley has not been "useless". He however has certainly been playing a fine game of "cover his ass". When I told him that I was flying here to make sure the boat moved to Seattle, he said "I'd do the exact same thing" ... REALLY, then why aren't you doing it for me? He's said that Rocky is already in the hole with him. Owes him "big".

NOT GETTING on SA - True. My fault. I was an Ass Hat. I forgot about the collective's infinite wisdom, even if some of you can be ... abrasive.

TRUCK CONDITION - Yes, it's beat, it has some brake issues, and some axel issues, and air bag [lift] issues. Not really my problem. If it were to get fined, or break down, I go back to where I was 4 days ago, filing a claim against the insurance. I AM NOT RICH, I will not pay for a breakdown, I assume fines can be paid later, and won't be my problem. Now ... if it we're truly unsafe, and risking killing the driver of the truck [aka Rocky] I don't think he'd be driving it. He did some shitty things, but I don't think he's stupid. I've been following along behind now for 770 miles, we're a third of the way home, and yes I know the most difficult driving bits are ahead of us. Rocky never speeds, always obeys traffic laws, and generally drives slower than everything else on the road. The boat doesn't move at all on that trailer. And again, worst case, it goes flying into a ravine, I'm right where I was four days ago.

DIFFERENT N447 - Yeah, neat, there are a ton on the west coast, and I bought the only one on the East Coast, whilst living in Seattle. What can I say, I liked this one best. I think the specs have been pulled off of sailboat listings, but, she's well equipped, and in the condition I wanted. You choosing our boat is like us getting to pick your next wife (or husband, or permanent partner) ... ;-)

I will not post anymore until you are safely in Seattle due to Dudley's involvement being much more than I believed. Every mile is a victory.

You're headed for some pretty high mountain passes soon, you might want to follow rather than lead.😉

Really hoping it all works out in the end.

You might also want to look into some of the apps for low clearance overpasses, there's quite a few on your route to Seattle and some aren't marked that well.

On looking at the boat trailer photo again it doesn't look to be to much of an issue.

Go Dartanyon! Thanks for keeping us posted. Slow and steady. Are you going up through Montana? Or west through Utah? What an ordeal.

http://www.smarttruckroute.com/

Thanks Proa. It's been a ... learning experience.

We've got permits up through Wyoming, to 80, then Utah 84, Idaho, Oregon. We need to permit Washington on Monday. I'm not sure if it will end up being 82 to 90, or 84 to 5. Pretty much ALL of the mountains left ... Rockys, Bitterroots, Blues, and Cascades, not to mention the wind swept waste land of Salt Lake. I've driven RT 80 across country a couple of times, and that section in the salt flats scared the crap out of me, nearly blew my pathfinder off the road on quite a few occasions ... actually now that I think about it, I don't remember if that is before of after the 84 interchange, maybe we're going around that.

Go Dartanyon! Thanks for keeping us posted. Slow and steady. Are you going up through Montana? Or west through Utah? What an ordeal.

We've got permits up through Wyoming, to 80, then Utah 84, Idaho, Oregon. We need to permit Washington on Monday. I'm not sure if it will end up being 82 to 90, or 84 to 5. Pretty much ALL of the mountains left ... Rockys, Bitterroots, Blues, and Cascades, not to mention the wind swept waste land of Salt Lake. I've driven RT 80 across country a couple of times, and that section in the salt flats scared the crap out of me, nearly blew my pathfinder off the road on quite a few occasions ... actually now that I think about it, I don't remember if that is before of after the 84 interchange, maybe we're going around that.

Looks like 80 to 84 north through Ogden so you'll miss the Salt Flats west of the lake. Then through Twin Falls and Boise Idaho... 84 to 5 through Portland is ~90 miles longer but maybe a better route for the load? Wish we could help but sounds like you've got it well in hand.

650 miles made good today. So that was nice. We're just south of Ft Collins, CO.

There are lots of good points being made. I don't know that I have all the answers.

DUDLEY - Gerald always billed Rocky as "his guy", and I was never told or given any indication that I was dealing with a sub, UNTIL I already was in Florida to load the boat. When Rocky sent me a contract. Gerald continues to stay in these dealings, even talking to both Rocky and I today. He gets paid by Rocky on the back end. So no, maybe not a broker, but CERTAINLY more involved, then "here's a list have a nice day". I was never given a choice of driver, or sub, or waiting or anything. I said, "I need transport for this, it'll be ready on this day at this place." Gerald said "great, I'll have someone there", and that was it. He quoted me the price, and Rocky used the price even saying "what did Gerald quote you for the job." In my world, that would make him an agent, but I know nothing of this world. I WILL SAY THIS, I'm not willing at this moment to bring up any responsibility with Dudley until the boat gets to Seattle. It would be too easy to call Rocky and say "stop moving. "

One mention, Gerald at Dudley has not been "useless". He however has certainly been playing a fine game of "cover his ass". When I told him that I was flying here to make sure the boat moved to Seattle, he said "I'd do the exact same thing" ... REALLY, then why aren't you doing it for me? He's said that Rocky is already in the hole with him. Owes him "big".

NOT GETTING on SA - True. My fault. I was an Ass Hat. I forgot about the collective's infinite wisdom, even if some of you can be ... abrasive.

TRUCK CONDITION - Yes, it's beat, it has some brake issues, and some axel issues, and air bag [lift] issues. Not really my problem. If it were to get fined, or break down, I go back to where I was 4 days ago, filing a claim against the insurance. I AM NOT RICH, I will not pay for a breakdown, I assume fines can be paid later, and won't be my problem. Now ... if it we're truly unsafe, and risking killing the driver of the truck [aka Rocky] I don't think he'd be driving it. He did some shitty things, but I don't think he's stupid. I've been following along behind now for 770 miles, we're a third of the way home, and yes I know the most difficult driving bits are ahead of us. Rocky never speeds, always obeys traffic laws, and generally drives slower than everything else on the road. The boat doesn't move at all on that trailer. And again, worst case, it goes flying into a ravine, I'm right where I was four days ago.

DIFFERENT N447 - Yeah, neat, there are a ton on the west coast, and I bought the only one on the East Coast, whilst living in Seattle. What can I say, I liked this one best. I think the specs have been pulled off of sailboat listings, but, she's well equipped, and in the condition I wanted. You choosing our boat is like us getting to pick your next wife (or husband, or permanent partner) ... ;-)

Really appreciate your posting. Good luck. Sorry to hear about Dudley. Your should really talk to a lawyer when you finally get the boat back.

On 84, be wary of the Pendleton grade. A 6% grade with hairpins can be interesting if he has dodgy brakes. Agree with Proa. 84 to 5 is probably an easier run once you reach the Columbia, but a bit longer.

On 84, be wary of the Pendleton grade. A 6% grade with hairpins can be interesting if he has dodgy brakes. Agree with Proa. 84 to 5 is probably an easier run once you reach the Columbia, but a bit longer.

Agree. On 84 you avoid the Cascades. You can cross the Columbia on 205 east of Portland. Suprisingly, there are some overpasses with lower clearance in the right lane on 5 south of Centralia.

I work with a freight broker and truckers are a rather independent bunch, with all kinds of stories on occasion.

One time we ship a large order from FL to NJ. Pick-up on a Friday and the load is off for delivery on Monday-Tuesday. Two weeks later the customer calls and as they are preparing to ship they find our product has not arrived. Check with the broker and he is perplexed. Starts calling and finds-out the driver drove home (enroute) for the weekend and went out on his Harley to the local biker bar. He gets in a wreck and is in the hospital, so the truck is sitting in his yard, no thought to call the broker and fill him in. Another truck goes by and gets the trailer to the customer.

My guy tells all kinds of stories when we talk, the best is the driver that calls him around 2am and asks if he is busy. No, I'm out here mowing the grass, why? Do you know where a laundromat is in this small town I am at?

Or, along Dartanyon's issue, they are out of fuel and money and want him to send some or give a card number so they can fuel up. And any moves around a holiday weekend, all bets are off.

Hope this all works-out OK in the end and they work to make it good.

He has since admitted to transporting the boat to one of his properties in Durant, OK where the boat is reported to be sitting.

This was clearly another in a string of lies. If you're from Seattle, you clearly know that Durant is no longer in Oklahoma.

(How'd this thread go so long before someone picked up on that?)

He has since admitted to transporting the boat to one of his properties in Durant, OK where the boat is reported to be sitting.

This was clearly another in a string of lies. If you're from Seattle, you clearly know that Durant is no longer in Oklahoma.

What? https://goo.gl/maps/zFXqeNu6buK2

I'll let others here handle this one.

What? https://goo.gl/maps/zFXqeNu6buK2

I'll let others here handle this one.

I'm not even a Basketball fan but I get it.

Seems a boat has gone missing in transit, not sure the whole store but I will add some screen shots.

Thistle and Dart are both way over due and running up a substantial titty tab here.

"We bought a new boat, a boat Hong hasn’t even laid eyes on [she’s seen a few sister ships though]. How neat is that?"

Hong's Tits would be a start here on paying down the tab.

Murphy's Law kinda day today.

Only 210 miles made good. Inspector at Wyoming decided we couldn't come through unless we moved the mast 4' feet forward towards the front of the boat. He didn't care that it was long, only that they didn't start in the same place. Rocky is 150lbs soaking wet, the mast weighs, what 1200lbs. So it took about 2 hours to rig enough leverage and pulling machines to slide it forward. We walk back to the office and the guy goes, "did you move it?", we say "yes", he says "ok". Did he go out and check, no. Could we have just toiled around there for 30 minutes and driven off, yup probably.

60 miles into WY, Boat is side by side with another truck, and Rocky has to run over a blown tire from a truck ahead somewhere, which makes one of his tires blow. 3 hours waiting at the TA Truck stop, to get the spare on. 45 miles down the road again, and another tire shreds. The one right next to the previous. No tires around here on Sunday that fit. So stuck waiting until tomorrow AM to move again. And yes, I get to buy a tire.

I did get into the boat today. There was time to find a Walmart and get a ladder. All safe and sound inside, I even took a nap, which we all know is what boats were really made for.

BOB- She is landing at Delta. Since we used to keep our Baba at Harbor Island, they became my guys, and their yard is great. Probably Wednesday morning at this point in time.

SCANAS (et al) Money is for Rum (and truck tires) I've got lawyers in the family.

Boo-Yaa - My wife's for yours. Or I'll let you see mine for free. They're getting smaller as I am dropping quite a few pounds, but you'll still be impressed. Besides I thought all the rage with sailors was to get one of those Patreon sites and charge people to see tit videos? No?

Dart:

Is the boat due tonight?

Is the boat here?

We need a drink.

Hong's partner has not posted anything for 24 hours on Facebook or elsewhere. I am thinking the independent trucker got hungry or simply tired of listening to him and ate him?

Only 210 miles made good. Inspector at Wyoming decided we couldn't come through unless we moved the mast 4' feet forward towards the front of the boat. He didn't care that it was long, only that they didn't start in the same place. Rocky is 150lbs soaking wet, the mast weighs, what 1200lbs. So it took about 2 hours to rig enough leverage and pulling machines to slide it forward. We walk back to the office and the guy goes, "did you move it?", we say "yes", he says "ok". Did he go out and check, no. Could we have just toiled around there for 30 minutes and driven off, yup probably.

60 miles into WY, Boat is side by side with another truck, and Rocky has to run over a blown tire from a truck ahead somewhere, which makes one of his tires blow. 3 hours waiting at the TA Truck stop, to get the spare on. 45 miles down the road again, and another tire shreds. The one right next to the previous. No tires around here on Sunday that fit. So stuck waiting until tomorrow AM to move again. And yes, I get to buy a tire.

I did get into the boat today. There was time to find a Walmart and get a ladder. All safe and sound inside, I even took a nap, which we all know is what boats were really made for.

BOB- She is landing at Delta. Since we used to keep our Baba at Harbor Island, they became my guys, and their yard is great. Probably Wednesday morning at this point in time.

SCANAS (et al) Money is for Rum (and truck tires) I've got lawyers in the family.

Boo-Yaa - My wife's for yours. Or I'll let you see mine for free. They're getting smaller as I am dropping quite a few pounds, but you'll still be impressed. Besides I thought all the rage with sailors was to get one of those Patreon sites and charge people to see tit videos? No?

Hang in there, Dartanyon. This too shall pass. Sounds frustrating and exhausting.

Bob - Tonight, no, I wish. We're still 1110 miles out, and waiting for the tire shop to open in the AM, Best guess Wednesday AM.

Canal Bottom - I did, I did, I did! Sorry, long day filled with BS. I'll do better tomorrow.

vjm - Thanks mate. It's both of those things. I'm learning a lot ... a lot about trucking, and a lot about people. A lot about patience. It's good.

Wednesday? That gives Rocky plenty of time to get the other 16 tires redone, maybe an engine rebuild, and the brakes all tickled and buffed like new on sailor boys credit card(s). FYI there is a mid west maritime lawyer that used to lurk around here at times. Goes by the name of Masseur Block.

Boo-Yaa I was thinking of getting his truck painted for him too. Any recommends on color? Flames or no flames? Sailor Boy? Damn, I wish I were still a boy. Or new for that matter. I'm usually a crotchy condescending asshole ... I'm just in the acceptance stage of grief over this. I don't have the energy to get pissed off anymore.

Step 1: Get boat to yard and off trailer.

After that, and some sleep, you will be in a much better space to freak out and yell at people.

And I vote hot pink with gold flames, so everyone sees him coming.

Boo-Yaa I was thinking of getting his truck painted for him too. Any recommends on color? Flames or no flames?

No Flames just the logo and backgrounds below

sailing-anarchy-logo.png

flag-day.jpg

TENSIO_7E1jpg_sml.jpg

Sailor Boy? Damn, I wish I were still a boy. Or new for that matter. I'm usually a crotchy condescending asshole ... I'm just in the acceptance stage of grief over this. I don't have the energy to get pissed off anymore.

Hang in there, Dartanyon. This too shall pass. Sounds frustrating and exhausting.

Huh. Where you at in WY tonight? Normally, the peeps at our Ports of Entry are pretty relaxed and not obnoxious at all, tho Sunday crews might be where all the unpopular kids get posted. Big Issue with bringing a boat into Wyoming these days is Zebra/Quagga mussel inspections. ALL boats must stop at the Ports for assessment -- steam cleaning if deemed necessary. They are sticklers for that.

I like your attitude. It's a good attitude. Sense of humor, perspective, a little understanding ... and it beats blowing up veins in rage. :) Truck drivers are pretty skilled at sitting on their ass and piloting long, heavy vehicles for ten hours at a stretch. They are not always good at everything else.

Have a week away from the keyboard Proa, we all need a break

No, I have as much right to be here and say what I think as anyone else. I didn't post the link to trucker Mark's FB page, I merely clicked on it.

You have the right to be sure. It's the judgement you're lacking.

Step 1: Get boat to yard and off trailer.

After that, and some sleep, you will be in a much better space [ snip].

This. And then call Dudley at tell them to fix the problem.

Dart, you are one level-headed mofo and I appreciate you sharing this epic journey with us. Best of luck as it continues and congrats on your new boat. Your 'get in line behind my wife line ' way back there was classic.

This looks like a better option than a SPOT. Ive had one and the spot needs a clear view of the sky. it works inconsitantly, if at all, from inside the boat.

https://thetrackr.com/

Have you tried this thing? Sounds like it might have a limited range and depend on being within 100 feet of someone running their app? Like maybe it depends on Bluetooth or Wi-Fi instead of the cellular network?

The fine print:

TrackR's Crowd GPS Network even updates you of your item’s latest location on a map! Watch the video below to learn more!

Crowd GPS

Lost something? TrackR's item tracking network will help you find it. When a TrackR user is within range of your lost item, you receive a GPS update.

Track it down. From anywhere

If an item goes missing, the TrackR app records its last known location on a map. When another user of the TrackR app comes within a 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is.

I have not used it and just looked at the fine print. It does use bluetooth. Anyone who is running the app will pick up the bluetooth signal and the app reports it to the sever so you can locate the item.

It won't be too useful until there is a certain critical mass or ppl using it

Evening y'all.

Got the tire squared away, burned half the morning doing it, but didn't spend too much money, a used take off from a shop that didn't know what they had. My good fortune. We put another 450 miles under the keel. Who new the N447 could average 52 miles an hour, what's that in knots? For a brief moment in time today, I bet I had the tallest sailboat on the planet ... top of my mast was 8250 feet above sea level ... Okay enough of that. I'm tired.

Laying Twin Falls Idaho, Seattle tomorrow? Hopefully, but I know better than to plan.

Sorry, you can't make Seattle by tomorrow, its 10 hrs at best not including being shutoff for Rush hour or the big mountain pass in front of you.

Outer Portland or Yakima depending on route.

burrocrates are the worst. Slow and just think how many it would take to get that boat over the mountains.....

donkey-cart-carrying-crate-overloaded_13

Best of luck and hope the remainder of the trip is smooth. I towed a J80 to San Fransisco and a Mini Transat to Long Island (from Texas) a few years ago (not at the same time) and while both were almost trouble free it's hard to imagine what you are going through. I do get heavy equipment hauled but the drivers know what they are doing so usually is pretty painless, not to mention rarely 100 miles.

I apologize for the lateness of the update ...

We had run 410 miles by 2:30 and gotten to the Washington - Oregon border.Even came down Deadman's Pass, which is nuts. Upon crossing the Columbia at I 82, we stopped at the weight station, to show our permits. The Washington State Patrolman walks around the truck, just as they've done in nearly every other state, but this fella decides that the brake thing that has been disconnected since long before Rocky picked up our boat, is a problem. Red flags the trailer, it can't move off their pavement until it's fixed, however the truck is free to go ... well, shit.

I call Gerald to get his take. He can send another truck and trailer for $1,000 or so, if I can find a crane that can lift it off. So I start calling cranes, best case scenario, $3200 for the crane. So now I'm at $4,200. A mobile repair guy is fixing another truck in the lot, says he can fix the brake thingy up for $2000-2500.

So, in your infinite wisdom SA crew, do I pay an extra couple of grand to prove to Rocky that I'm in the right. Also at the same time probably sealing the nail in the man's coffin. No trailer, he can't make money. What say you?

Gerald was super helpful again, and I can't fault any of his wisdom, or advice. I wish he'd offer to help pick up the tab on any of this, but I'm sure he's not legally responsible to. Perhaps morally ... I know I'd feel some responsibility in his shoes, but that's how my momma raised me.

Now to the answer ... I'm paying to get the brakes fixed. I know, I know. I'm being an ass hat again. I'm never going to get paid back, despite the assurances from Rocky, he even gave me terms, $500 a month for 6 month, oh and his "promise", which is worth absolutely nothing. I thought about it long and hard, I did, and you can judge me all you want, but I can't be the guy takes the man's last shred of hope. It's just not who I am. I am going to insist that a loan agreement is signed and that his trailer is the collateral. So at the very least there is a legal obligation to pay me. I suppose I just need to believe that the good in him will win out over the bad. That's probably more about me than it is about him.

I drove home to Seattle, 225 miles, I need to turn in the rental car tomorrow, to avoid paying them any more money. We would have easily made it in today. Waited out the traffic restrictions in Issaquah, and parked it at Delta before sunset. All within his 11 hour driving limit. I'm going to drive back out tomorrow, the guys at PJ's tell me they should have the parts by 8:30 and few hours to put that back together. Then another shot at Seattle. Either that or drive it off a bridge over the columbia, let the truck sink out from under the boat, and motor downriver.

My god, this is the stuff of nightmares. I don't think you had a good option, so choosing the option that you feel better about is definitely the right way to go. Make sure you record that loan against the truck title somehow so he can't sell the collateral out from under you.

What a compendium of horrors. Thank you for sharing it, for everyone to learn from.

Hang in there and bring your girl home. You have certainly earned the right to collapse and sleep for days when she is finally off that trailer.

I am no fan of Rocky but you probably made the right choice.

Lifting and transferring a boat that size is not easy. Getting it loaded properly without a travel-lift is difficult. Way too easy to damage the hull without realizing it.

You are building up a large karma reserve.

Good luck on the last lap.

I would have kept possession of the trailer until he pays the $2500 back to you after boat unloaded.

If he couldnt find the $2500 now, the trailer would eventually be seized by the state - I'm sure he'd find the money in that circumstance.

I can't imagine. My boat got stuck at a state line for 4 days over permit issues (PA was a massive CF of a state to get permits during "construction season" 15 years ago) but the broker called me twice a day and eventually got it to Maryland. You are living a slow motion nightmare.

Perhaps you need to have a formal lien on his tractor. It's worth more and easier to convert to cash if it eventually comes to that. I fear you won't get paid as the Rocky's of the world live under a self generated black cloud. Isn't the immortal words of Rosanne Rosanadana, "it's always something."

Hoping you build great memories on this boat. You have earned them.

My god, this is the stuff of nightmares. I don't think you had a good option, so choosing the option that you feel better about is definitely the right way to go. Make sure you record that loan against the truck title somehow so he can't sell the collateral out from under you.

What a compendium of horrors. Thank you for sharing it, for everyone to learn from.

Hang in there and bring your girl home. You have certainly earned the right to collapse and sleep for days when she is finally off that trailer.

+1.

Good luck Dartanyon.

Though Rocky is no good guy, this whole mess gives some perspective of the hassle a commercial driver faces every trip. Wouldn't want that job either. Two tires. Mast position hassle. Permit changes. Red flagged. Now we feel the delays and expenses. If you add depreciation/ wear and tear on equipment, insurance, etc I suspect his margin is dangerously thin. At least nobody siphoned his (your) diesel while he slept this trip. Good luck to you on the final dash.

Dartanyon, thanks for sharing your ongoing saga. You are a better person than I would have been about the whole mess.

Hopefully someday after the sting subsides you will have a story to pass on for generations!

And you have an offer from the designer to make you dinner and I'm sure a few beverages to go along. How often does that happen?

Hang in there bro, your journey is nearly at an end. We are all pulling for you.

P.S. Once all is well settled, please follow up with how you sort out all the contract issues and who owes/owed who. The lessons you learn should be passed on.

Just an opinion, but from a legal/insurance standpoint you probably did the right thing sticking with Rocky. This way all the expenses of the trip are against his "failure to deliver", rather than muddying up the issue with costs to others (crane, another trailer, another trucker, etc).

One last bit ... thanks for all the support. Seriously, it means something to me.

Get a lawyer, you are in your home state. Take a mechanic's lien on the entire rig even Rocky's balls if necessary. Impound everything until that lien is paid. Chain it to the yard and do not take the boat off the trailer until this is settled. Get a WA lawyer. Settle you lien before you pay a nickel more. Get a lawyer and lock up the assets before you pay and while the asset(s) are in your possession. One more day may be worth thousands for you.

Canal Bottom. What use does Dartanyon have for a very used rig? Rocky sounds like a struggling owner operator, barely still in operation. Whether this is from personal expenses, poor management, or bad luck we have no idea. We know he lied to Dartanyon, but also that he used his 'days off' over the holiday to run other loads instead of going boating and stopping for drinks with umbrellas. It sounds like he's overextended financially and driving as much as the law will allow. How will taking away his ability to earn help Dartanyon? It might help me because I'm a sadistic jerk who would be happy to see the guy go bankrupt after parking my boat in a truck stop, but it won't recoup any costs. The bigger question is what is what is Dudley's role in this. Finders fee? Booking agent? Nice guy that suggested a competitor when they couldn't do the work? Something I hope Dartanyon will share when the dust settles.

OK, let's say I contract to have a boat hauled for $6k. And there were two other companies that quoted $7k. And the 6k one sucked an extra $4k out of me because the guy was over extended. So I should eat the $3k higher than the high bid? Why? Because he is struggling?

I get the sense of goodness, but it isn't personal, it's business. If selling his rig makes me whole, and puts him out of business, them's the breaks. He can get a job driving. He can claim bankruptcy. Hell even the Donald did that what, 4 times?

Of course I'm not in the position for real. But in business, this is how it goes. I've seen it multiple times with my own employers.

what a fucking shit storm...

Its a shame that dartanyon paid upfront for the entire haul.

He could have made the repairs to for the truck, and then claimed that as monies owed for the haul. but thats water under the bridge...or in this case asphalt under the tires...

I owned a landscape company and it was not uncommon to put mechanics liens on the properties when the clients failed to pay. No point in digging up plants and repossessing them....

pretty sure the trailer has a title, as does the tractor. Not sure if he could put a mechanics lien on the either. since he did not do the work. although he paid for the work for the owner of the property.

used lowboys are in the 20-30K price range... So while it would really suck to hold onto the trailer until he gets paid. hard for rocky to make money with out a trailer. although he could still drive his tractor and haul others peoples trailers to make money. Plus if dartanyon holds onto the trailer, then he has to store it and pay storage fees until he's paid off which only add to the bill that rocky would owe.......Kind of a huge pita

i'm generally a nice kind guy, and would do all I could do to not put liens on property. Since it takes time and money... but there comes a time when you have to stop being "nice" and hold peoples feet to the fire so they can "man up" and pay their debts.

How many other people has rocky fucked over? Maybe its time for rocky to get fucked over and find out what it feels like to be over the barrel. And prevent him from fucking anyone else. Of course rocky is probably already over barrel and is living paycheck to paycheck and falling further behind. Rocky's business model sucks, and its time for rocky to pick another career...

Fastyacht. Like I said. If it was my boat sitting in a truckstop, or if I was walking away from my business to escort it to its new destination (a leave of absence my business cannot afford, or I'd be cruising somewhere instead of posting during lunch) I would absolutely be all for destroying the man. I've never been called Gunga Din, especially if somebody had my boat. Dartanyon seems to be obscenely practical. I suppose if there are no other leans he could make out by seizing and selling the trailer. From personal experience, I have never received a penny when a client files bankruptcy on me. As I suggested a page ago, I would be concerned the marginal operator already has leans attached to his equipment (my comment on keeping the rig moving before the repo man found the trailer). If this supposition is correct, then the second / third leanholder will just be standing in line anyway and it won't be worth the legal fees, plus the need to release the lean if payments are ever received. Rocky owes him legally and morally. Rocky is a Turnip. There is no blood to be collected. Perhaps Dartanyon could sell the debt like the big guys do, salvage a few bucks and let a bottom feeder do what they do best. I have a lawyer specializing in bad debt collections. He recoups some of the expense, keeps his cut, and it takes years. He may retire first.

One last bit ... thanks for all the support. Seriously, it means something to me.

Get a lawyer, you are in your home state. Take a mechanic's lien on the entire rig even Rocky's balls if necessary. Impound everything until that lien is paid. Chain it to the yard and do not take the boat off the trailer until this is settled. Get a WA lawyer. Settle you lien before you pay a nickel more. Get a lawyer and lock up the assets before you pay and while the asset(s) are in your possession. One more day may be worth thousands for you.

Be careful on the lien and impound idea. You could end up owning something you don't want, never mind having to deal with storage fees for same. Don't ask me how I know.

Good luck Dartanyon.

Like others above am interested to now about Dudley's role - but only after you get your boat home and floated and have many glasses of scotch.

I apologize for the lateness of the update ...

We had run 410 miles by 2:30 and gotten to the Washington - Oregon border.Even came down Deadman's Pass, which is nuts. Upon crossing the Columbia at I 82, we stopped at the weight station, to show our permits. The Washington State Patrolman walks around the truck, just as they've done in nearly every other state, but this fella decides that the brake thing that has been disconnected since long before Rocky picked up our boat, is a problem. Red flags the trailer, it can't move off their pavement until it's fixed, however the truck is free to go ... well, shit.

I call Gerald to get his take. He can send another truck and trailer for $1,000 or so, if I can find a crane that can lift it off. So I start calling cranes, best case scenario, $3200 for the crane. So now I'm at $4,200. A mobile repair guy is fixing another truck in the lot, says he can fix the brake thingy up for $2000-2500.

So, in your infinite wisdom SA crew, do I pay an extra couple of grand to prove to Rocky that I'm in the right. Also at the same time probably sealing the nail in the man's coffin. No trailer, he can't make money. What say you?

Gerald was super helpful again, and I can't fault any of his wisdom, or advice. I wish he'd offer to help pick up the tab on any of this, but I'm sure he's not legally responsible to. Perhaps morally ... I know I'd feel some responsibility in his shoes, but that's how my momma raised me.

Now to the answer ... I'm paying to get the brakes fixed. I know, I know. I'm being an ass hat again. I'm never going to get paid back, despite the assurances from Rocky, he even gave me terms, $500 a month for 6 month, oh and his "promise", which is worth absolutely nothing. I thought about it long and hard, I did, and you can judge me all you want, but I can't be the guy takes the man's last shred of hope. It's just not who I am. I am going to insist that a loan agreement is signed and that his trailer is the collateral. So at the very least there is a legal obligation to pay me. I suppose I just need to believe that the good in him will win out over the bad. That's probably more about me than it is about him.

I drove home to Seattle, 225 miles, I need to turn in the rental car tomorrow, to avoid paying them any more money. We would have easily made it in today. Waited out the traffic restrictions in Issaquah, and parked it at Delta before sunset. All within his 11 hour driving limit. I'm going to drive back out tomorrow, the guys at PJ's tell me they should have the parts by 8:30 and few hours to put that back together. Then another shot at Seattle. Either that or drive it off a bridge over the columbia, let the truck sink out from under the boat, and motor downriver.

Smart move, you made a business decision instead of an emotional one. Get the boat home.

The guys at PJs repair in Pendleton are still trying to track down parts, apparently Six Robblees doesn't stock it, and Valley Freightliner is too busy to call them back. If anyone has any "ins" at VFI, please let me know. The WSP (Washington State Patrol) has told Rocky that he can't move the tractor now either, they're afraid he'll abandon the cargo, and they'll have to pay to move it.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet he's got liens on the trailer, only because the story is, that it's owned by Freymiller. I've tried to get someone there to confirm, but the gal who would know hasn't called me back yet (I've left several messages). I don't want a trailer, but I'm guessing there is space at Delta (their on like 47 acres or something), that Jeff would left me occupy cheaply. As has been mentioned, the trailer, especially with new brakes, probably has some value. Forcing him to sign a promissory note, and loan agreement gives me legal leverage too, but really ... Lark said it best, you can't get blood from a turnip. I'll do what seems reasonable to give me legal assurances, but in the end even winning in court is probably nothing, only holding the trailer, or the tractor, and not letting it leave has some guarantee, assuming it doesn't get to the point where I am breaking the law.

The crane thing is still an option, I would have been more gun ho about it, except we're so far from where someone might have experience lifting a sailboat of this size, spreader bars, proper straps, and understanding of boats. It feels like there is an awful lot of risk with that.

I've looked into the mechanics lien suggested by Canal and others, but in the state of Washington you must be the party doing the work. Which I'm not.

I doubt I posses any more patience than any of you. I did all my cursing, drinking, yelling 6 weeks ago, so now all I focus on is what get's me what I want with the least amount of hassle.

Canal Bottom. What use does Dartanyon have for a very used rig? Rocky sounds like a struggling owner operator, barely still in operation. Whether this is from personal expenses, poor management, or bad luck we have no idea. We know he lied to Dartanyon, but also that he used his 'days off' over the holiday to run other loads instead of going boating and stopping for drinks with umbrellas. It sounds like he's overextended financially and driving as much as the law will allow. How will taking away his ability to earn help Dartanyon? It might help me because I'm a sadistic jerk who would be happy to see the guy go bankrupt after parking my boat in a truck stop, but it won't recoup any costs. The bigger question is what is what is Dudley's role in this. Finders fee? Booking agent? Nice guy that suggested a competitor when they couldn't do the work? Something I hope Dartanyon will share when the dust settles.

WA law allows the holder of a Mechanic's Lien to take possession and sell the asset before any other lien or claim holder. The person who does X dollars in repairs or additions to a asset owns it until they are paid in WA and most jurisdictions. If and when the item is ever sold by the operator the lien holder would get paid first.

-Option D: Call the Seattle Yacht Club and tell them very clearly you are from Sailing Anarchy you and all your SA friends demand their help right now.

-Potential Y: That trailer is stolen, Rocky gets arrested with D'Tan somehow forced to bail him out and settle the trailer ownership. Rocky is definitely going to want/need that blowjob on release to get refocused. Rocky and the Perry Land Yacht becomes the new Reid Ho of Sailing Anarchy.

Recovery X: Do you still have that Walmart ladder? Can you rent space to the truck stop bunnies in the interim? With a couple of minutes heads up you may get some SA buddies visiting and keeping you company.

Where is the picture of this Rocky fella?

-Option D: Call the Seattle Yacht Club and tell them very clearly you are from Sailing Anarchy and you your SA friends demand their help right now.

Offer beads and whiskey as reimbursement

Ah! So the Brake Job would entitle Dart to a mech lien?

Only if it were structured so Dart actually did the work. You need a proper WA lawyer here. The owner of the trailer would need to contract to Dart to fix the trailer and clear it for WA road use and such. Dart becomes the general contractor so to speak. If Dart just pays Rocky's tab for him no artist, supplier, mechanics lien would stick. Just a fool paying the tab of another hoping to be paid someday... Also an industrious nearby boat yard/unemployed sailing industry player could show up and get the work done and file the lien holding the trailer for quick sale. You need a WA lawyer here.

Ah! So the Brake Job would entitle Dart to a mech lien?

Only if it were structured so Dart actually did the work. You need a proper WA lawyer here. The owner of the trailer would need to contract to Dart to fix the trailer and clear it for WA road use and such. Dart becomes the general contractor so to speak. If Dart just pays Rocky's tab for him no artist, supplier, mechanics lien would stick. Just a fool paying the tab of another hoping to be paid someday... Also an industrious nearby boat yard/unemployed sailing industry player could show up and get the work done and file the lien holding the trailer for quick sale. You need a WA lawyer here.

I would try to get less involved rather than more involved at this point. Chances are that there is a list of people trying to get money from the turnip beyond Dart. It is easy to write off other people's money but I would worry about making a relatively simple couple of thousand dollar problem become a complex tens of thousands of dollars legal problem.

What a mess-- I would be ballistic, but Dart (I like that name for some reason) seems to have himself in check: get the boat home and then figure out the legal/financial steps. Suggested new name for the boat: Rocky Horror Picture Show.

-Option D: Call the Seattle Yacht Club and tell them very clearly you are from Sailing Anarchy and you and all your SA friends demand their help right now.

Offer beads and whiskey as reimbursement

F dat.. They owe Scot and all his friends big time for the shout out and free Pub. At a minimum they should send the club van out with fresh squaws to work the boat. Clean could do a live that people actually watch for a change. No more "status quo". The Perry Land Yacht would be the hot new boat. Violla SA has its first clubhouse a true timeless classic on wheels yet.

Cuming to a sailing venue near your soon! Memberships may now be limited!

What a mess-- I would be ballistic, but Dart (I like that name for some reason) seems to have himself in check: get the boat home and then figure out the legal/financial steps. Suggested new name for the boat: Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Sailing Anarchy Annex North - Seattle Chapter

If Dart picks up one more tab he is a lock for SA crew of the year.

Archived