Another stolen boat.

PinkSpinnaker

Re-posting my earlier remarks with one sentence deleted... a thoughtless comment about which I know nothing. My apologies and regrets.

What a pain! "the brake thing that has been disconnected since long before Rocky picked up our boat" - curious? No trailer brakes?
What if you had stayed on 84 to Portland? What if you had transferred the boat to another trailer/driver in Durant? (Probably what I would have done just because I wouldn't want to deal with Rocky anymore.) "What ifs" are all water under the bridge, of course.

All said, fixing the trailer sounds like the cheapest and most expedient solution at this point. You're almost there.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked for a big resort development firm doing beach resorts in the Caribbean. We had tugs and barges to get sand, gravel and cement to our onsite concrete batch plants. We somehow got involved with a shady operator of a RORO (roll on-roll off) ship that would bring major stuff for our project from the states. We had taken one of our 50 Grove cranes over to the next island where the RoRo could dock and were using it to transfer to our barges for lightering straight to the beach where our current project was underway. There was a huge stern door like a tailgate on a station wagon that greatly facilitated this sort of transfer and it was a pretty effective cheap way to move the massive amount of goods needed for a 275 room/250 condo project. A hurricane made a near miss to the South and the RoRo ship had gotten into some sort of 'arrest' or seizure over some violations with the local DPNR (Natural Resources) for pumping sewage or bilge water within the harbor and the crew had been let go and the ship was sitting idle so our company worked out some sort of deal to use it as a warehouse and we even set up a fiberglass shop in the massive main deck hold to manufacture the big dormer roofs that were part of our architectural scheme. With the ship tied up in the courts and essentially 'dead in the water' with no onboard systems operating, when the storm came up there was no power to the systems to even actuate the hydraulics to close the big storm at the stern as the ground swells from the hurricane began to break over the sill. Our glass shop and some interior lights were being fed by shore power and there were no engineers on board to fire up any of the onboard systems so as to batten down the hatches and pump bilges or shift ballast and it wasn't long before the stern ramp of the ship looked like the Wedge on a big day!

In an act of desperation, someone decided to take our Grove and hitch to the stern ramp and try and raise it but didn't know how or where to bleed the big hydraulic cylinders that supported them. Water was pouring down the access trunks to these cylinders and the ship was beginning to list badly and it wasn't long before the Grove operator pitchpoled the Grove onto its boom right out on the ramp door it was attempting to close. The operator jumped/swam away from the crane now sitting on its nose and everyone fled for solid ground. The ship settled/sank into its berth with maybe a 5 deg stern down trim and 15 degrees list during the course of the storm. Fortunately it didn't roll over and the crane didn't slide off the ramp but things were a real mess the next morning. The owner of the property had used some of his machines to right the Grove and tow it up and out of the ship vis the fwd side door and had put some mechanics to work trying to pickle the engine and hydraulics when the little brother of our companies Boss Man showed up the next day just raising hell about what they had done to our crane. He was rambling about liens, seizures, law suits, arrests, blah, blah, blah when the boss man of the facility where the ship was berthed just told him that they were just trying to mitigate any salt water damage on our crane and to settle down and get real. Little Brother asked who was operating our crane on the ramp during the storm and the shore facility boss told him that one of his operators was at the helm at the time and they were once again just trying to do what little they could under the situation to mitigate damage to the ship which they certainly didn't want sunk on their doorstep. That led to another tirade by our guy and he was saying that we were going to barge our 100 ton crane over and lift our 50 ton Grove off of the property and sue them to boot.

The old grizzled guy just looked at the baby brother and said something to the effect that he could have the crane back and they would be happy to help or that they could sue but that he couldn't do both. After more hollow threats and accusations from Baby Bro the old guy just motioned one of his guys over and whispered something in his ear and the radios started buzzing and it wasn't ten minutes before a BIG MF 250 ton track crane rumbled over and picked up our waterlogged 50 ton Grove and boomed it out over the half sunk RoRo and they deposited it on the deck just forward of the house and then invited our guy to bring what ever crane he wanted and try and take the Grove back.

It was a couple of years before we ever got the rusted up Grove back and I bet the ship itself is still sitting there as a derelict. Sometimes in situations like this only cool heads will prevail.

Larry Harvey always had the current BN follow his boats when they got trucked across country. For many races the entry photo for Crazy Horse was on a trailer with sugauro cactus around it.

Maybe if I tell the folks at Corinthian Yacht Club that there is a race with free bottomless beer in Hermiston, I can get them down there.

No luck on finding the part I need. Gerald, the guys at PJs, and myself have been calling all over the country. Anyone know where I can find a 29 1/16" long air brake s-cam? Machine shop is up next, they have the part out there (I'm still in Seattle), it's about 7 hours round trip for me, so they are checking local machinists first, but if nothing looks good early in the morning I'll just be planning to go out there and back. If they do find someone, I'll go out with intent to either stay (because what else can I do) or hopefully be heading back this way in the afternoon.

If Rocky really does have money squirreled away, he's certainly putting on a good show ... The Patrolman (Office Renakker) says he hasn't left, even though they gave him the number for a cab company to take him to a local hotel. A weigh station seems like a shitty spot to sit if you had the means to get out. So there is that. I'm glad he's uncomfortable, he certainly deserves that much, although I feel bad for the dog, she's sweet.

In talking with the lawyers, a mechanics lien, at least in WA doesn't allow you to take possession, only puts you first in line if it's sold. This comes from free legal advice, so I get what I pay for here, but that doesn't seem like a fruitful option. If he doesn't own the trailer, maybe I can get the owners to give it to me ... ;-)

Here's Rocky.

2016-07-08%2009.57.12.jpg

What a mess-- I would be ballistic, but Dart (I like that name for some reason) seems to have himself in check: get the boat home and then figure out the legal/financial steps. Suggested new name for the boat: Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Sailing Anarchy Annex North - Seattle Chapter

If Dart picks up one more tab he is a lock for SA crew of the year.

If y'all want to make this the clubhouse, I'm fine with that, but then you're pitching in on the trailer. Or at least buying me rum.

Re-posting my earlier remarks with one sentence deleted... a thoughtless comment about which I know nothing. My apologies and regrets.

What a pain! "the brake thing that has been disconnected since long before Rocky picked up our boat" - curious? No trailer brakes?

What if you had stayed on 84 to Portland? What if you had transferred the boat to another trailer/driver in Durant? (Probably what I would have done just because I wouldn't want to deal with Rocky anymore.) "What ifs" are all water under the bridge, of course.

All said, fixing the trailer sounds like the cheapest and most expedient solution at this point. You're almost there.

Proa, I don't even remember what the sentence you deleted was, so let's assume I chalked it up to you being sarcastic as I am.

a billionaire with a warped sense of humor could pay to fix the trailer and then pay Rocky to haul the boat back to Florida.

Parma, I really hope that you're not a billionaire, and I don't like you one bit. Unless you are a billionaire, that's not sadistic, and wants to send one of those giant helicopters over to bring my boat back, then I like you just fine.

GOOD NEWS - Machinist there is building / fixing this s-cam thing tomorrow AM.

Fingers crossed for you, Dart.

Yeah, me too Dart!!

Thanks y'all.

Been talking to the repair guys, and the machinist, should have it all back together by early afternoon, which puts us into Delta tomorrow night, right on schedule, just two days, of and 8 weeks late ...

Go Dart! Without a doubt, this has been the most compelling thread in years! I went through a similar, yet much less complicated shipping situation a few years ago. I feel your pain. You must post a picture when she gets splashed!

I am reminded of the story Jack London wrote about the building of his ketch Snark. The most improbable shit went wrong, and everything cost several times what was given as an estimate.

I am reminded of the story Jack London wrote about the building of his ketch Snark. The most improbable shit went wrong, and everything cost several times what was given as an estimate.

Great story. They all come down with Dengue Fever or something and have to bail out, leaving havoc in their wake.

Dart: watch out for spiders.

What a saga...Good onya Dart for just getting your boat home and not wasting time and energy being mad. Good karma for sure.

Next thread should be SA naming contest for the boat...

Okay, so I think we need to establish a pay pal account for Dart...anyone know how to do that? I got $10 to start..at least he can use it to buy some appropriate alcohol to splash on the boat for her de-naming ceremony..

Okay, so I think we need to establish a pay pal account for Dart...anyone know how to do that? I got $10 to start..at least he can use it to buy some appropriate alcohol to splash on the boat for her de-naming ceremony..

I'm in. I'll match your 10 bruce

Yeah, me too Dart!!

Thanks y'all.

Been talking to the repair guys, and the machinist, should have it all back together by early afternoon, which puts us into Delta tomorrow night, right on schedule, just two days, of and 8 weeks late ...

I hope this works out for you. Bureaucrats and broke bozo truckers and trucking companies. Damn what a mix. I keep checking in hoping to see a post with you having your boat home.

Good luck!!

22 Minutes Ago:

13606786_1760561940894577_23338102079543

Uhmm........if those are the brakes that have been removed, I see the problem the weigh/inspection station had. There is absolutely NO brake lining on those shoes. This trailer has been seriously unsafe for some time. An accident waiting to happen!

Get the boat home safely, put her in the water and have a good strong drink.

Wow. After reading through all this, I feel a bit better about my own fiasco's du jour. Still... From where the boat is sitting... Two more mountain passes in BFE on the 82/90 route with that rig? I'd go through The Gorge.

And there are plenty of good crane operators in the Tri Cities. They're used to lifting ludicrous loads of all sorts out at the Hanford Site. Maybe not a lot of boats though.

Not there yet? When you can move again, maybe a good idea to get back on 84 West to Portland? There are more boat handling, even launching, facilities along the way than on 82/90 in those mountains, through Snoqualmie Pass.

Wow. After reading through all this, I feel a bit better about my own fiasco's du jour. Still... From where the boat is sitting... Two more mountain passes in BFE on the 82/90 route with that rig? I'd go through The Gorge.

And there are plenty of good crane operators in the Tri Cities. They're used to lifting ludicrous loads of all sorts out at the Hanford Site. Maybe not a lot of boats though.

Have you ever been inside a boat on a travel lift and tried opening and closing doors and such. Boats on a lift bend and twist all kinds of ways you would never expect. The wrong operator trying to so the wrong kind of lift with the wrong tools can create all kinds of mess. Just watch the videos of the crane operators trying to take boats off ships and others thinking I can just do this with a crane. Lil Rocky here may have faults. But, he does seem to know how to drive and gas jockey a truck. He has also had a couple of more days to think or remember a few more things for Dart to fix.

The once pondered thought of a funding a blow job from one of the lot lizards is looking like a bargain.Just Sayin....

Well just to throw in an Anarchic thought... You have reached navigable water! Splash that puppy at the Port of Umatilla and sail it home. Sounds simple, right? (Can't access sarcasm emoticon on iPad, sorry.)

Oh, and come to think of it, they do lift a lot of "boats" up there. On my way to work, I used to ride my bike past the dock where they lift submarine reactor compartments off barges and load them onto a ludicrous transport rig to haul them out in the desert and bury. Only they don't actually bury them, so that Russian satellites can verify they're there. Part of some arms reduction treaty. You can see it on Google Earth.

You guys could get some rum and have that half inflated dinghy up high and dry on its display arch in no time.....

10155224_10201881488978912_1838717333060

Looks like there may be a sexy ladies dance pole back there too,,,,,

22 Minutes Ago:

13606786_1760561940894577_23338102079543

Uhmm........if those are the brakes that have been removed, I see the problem the weigh/inspection station had. There is absolutely NO brake lining on those shoes. This trailer has been seriously unsafe for some time. An accident waiting to happen!

Get the boat home safely, put her in the water and have a good strong drink.

Jeez.... When I see oxy/acetylene hoses near mechanical bits....I worry!

Keep on keepin on Dart, you will get there.

Cheers,

Jim B)

I'll throw in a weekend at my shack. I'm a fairly competent cook.

Rocky wants to know if you'll cook him some meth.

Bob's already got the circuit board overloaded by his hydro setup. So, no.

It seems the lights are on and the guy with the tools left? Next time you bring a boat project home to do a little work or when you are having a bad day. You could always imagine explaining all this to the book and wine club woman in your life...

13654161_1760654774218627_87867223293499

The piece of scrap aluminum they have been hauling along looks to be still there...

It seems the lights are on and the guy with the tools left? Next time you bring a boat project home to do a little work or when you are having a bad day. You could always imagine explaining all this to the book and wine club woman in your life...

13654161_1760654774218627_87867223293499

The piece of scrap aluminum they have been hauling along looks to be still there...

Progress?!

Sounds like a top piece of bureaucracy-beating improvisation.

"You can't proceed because there's no brakes on the back wheels"

"How many wheels do we have to have on the trailer"

"X-2"

"I can sort that"

Excellent.

Arrived around 9:30 this morning. Owner is very happy lucky he made it. It arrived without wheels on the back axle of the trailer due to no brakes there.

Fixed.

Watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles last night and it paled in comparison to this story. The only thing missing was Dart having to bail Rocky out of jail at some point.

Congrats Dart, someday you'll look back on this adventure and laugh...maybe.

So that "rig" and owner operator is a long way from home..... How does the operation sans Dart's credit cards move from here?

post-25831-0-81161400-1468602623_thumb.j

Someone should do the boat, Perry, Dart and the eyes of people locally a favor and take care of all the aluminum crap aft of the stern lines Mr. Perry drew.

Someone should do the boat, Perry, Dart and the eyes of people locally a favor and take care of all the aluminum crap aft of the stern lines Mr. Perry drew.

My favorite thing about this is how the SA crew follows and supports this guy's incredibly stressful saga of rescuing his boat while simtaneously giving him the business over the size of his stern arch. :D

My favorite thing about this is how the SA crew follows and supports this guy's incredibly stressful saga of rescuing his boat while simtaneously giving him the business over the size of his stern arch. :D

The previous owners assembled more than an one awful "arch" back there. That mess looks more like the combination of a bankrupt scrap yard and a the trailer park Rocky used to sleep around in.

Victory!!!! I would imagine the moment she hits the water will be a big exhale for Dart. Congratulations and kudos on your patience and persistence .

So that "rig" and owner operator is a long way from home..... How does the operation sans Dart's credit cards move from here?

Dart should make sure Rocky has enough fuel to get at least 1 hour down the road, block Rocky's number, and figure that is not in any way shape of form his problem any longer.

Too funny but yes that does define SA right there.

CONGRATS DART!!!

Rename yourself "Cool Hand Luke" with appropriate avatar.

Someone should raise a few shekels to send Mr. Perry's colorist along with the buff and tickle crew over there to right the previous cosmetic wrongs/architectural abortions to patch the glass, then spray a little paint before the correct parts of the yacht are returned to the water.

Thanks y'all!

These last 25 miles have been the worst. Rocky kept trying to give me reasons to kill him there on the spot, and always when I was holding some sort of large tool.

Where did I leave off? Oh, yeah ... It was an early July morning, the fog had .... (sorry, couldn't resist) I got back up to the port of entry around noon, collected Rocky and the dog from the hotel and went back out to the truck. Pat from PJs (in Pendleton, I can't say enough good things about this guy, or their entire operation) was tearing apart the third axel. It was actually the WSP (Washington State Patrol) that insisted the axel was bare of wheels, they knew Rocky would just put it back down. It took the entire day, as you can see from the picture that was pulled over (someday I'll figure out how to post here form my phone). In the end I now know a ton about trailers. I also managed to preform some of the work, and Pat offered me a one day job as an apprentice, meaning I qualify as a sub-contractor, and have an additional legal claim against the trailer. They (we) rewired (lights didn't work), replaced an s-cam, fitted brake shoes to the right side of axels 1&2. There we NO shoes, on either, but it wouldn't have matter if there were because NONE of the brakes we adjusted to even engage with the pedal fully to the floor. We replaced 2 airbags on the 2nd axel. There was some other stuff, but I don't recall exactly.

Around 3:30 Officer Rennaker came out and said, "So, have you squared away a replacement driver". Haha, I thought to myself, and he just stared at me ... "What do you mean", I asked. "Rocky's license has a medical suspension on it. He can't drive out of here, he didn't tell you?"

jaw

drop

I'll kill him

None of these people here will blame me. It's almost self defense in the face of pure, raw, stupidity ...

I find Rocky ... hemms and haws ... "well, it was suspended when they put in the stint ... a year and a half ago!"

me: "Rocky one of the bullshit lies you told me was that you couldn't leave because you needed to go update you license."

Rocky: "Really? Well I couldn't find my birth certificate, it's not a big deal, I can drive."

me: "You're a complete asshole, you lied to me about doing something you knew you needed to do, and then didn't even do it, even though you were sitting on your ass at home?"

Rocky: "I'm sorry, I'm gonna find someone else to drive us up to the next exit and then I can get back in".

me: "I don't want to know, I don't want to be a party to you committing a felony, thanks".

Truck gets fixed up, the guys from PJs and I celebrate, Rocky pouts in the corner because everyone thinks he's the kind of guy that's eventually going to end up killing people. I ask Rocky if he fixed the other problem ... no. So I tell Pat, who calls a friend, who calls a friend, not because they want to help Rocky. Because he feels really bad for me. – Which, as an aside, should be mentioned that all along this journey I have met tons of people in the trucking industry, who DO care, who think Rocky is giving them a bad name. We are given the name of a guy that will remain nameless who will come drive the truck to the next exit and then Rocky can have his seat back.

We drive from 2130 to 0030, when we get to the east edge of the Cascades, 68 miles from home. We have to stop because there is a lane restriction overnight for anything over 10' wide. I sleep in the car, 3 hours, up at 0430, go bang on the truck, "Rocky it's light, let's ride". We cruise on down the pass, with little effort and get off at the TA to wait for the Seattle traffic restrictions to lift (no oversize during rush hours).

At this point, I'm getting loopy, little sleep, still dehydrated from being in the hot sun all day work on the truck, and the "crazy" coming to an end, all I can do is want to drive. 0845, we finish rolling down the hill, and Jeff is waiting for us at Delta. She was lifted off the trailer at 10:23AM.

I was free of Rocky.

Rocky is going up north to the truck stop, up at MP202. I don't think he'll get far. He's out of money, and only has about 40 gallons left in the tanks.

I figure 10 days to splash.

2016-07-15%2010.23.48.jpg

Okay, that fat aluminium arch, yes. There is a LOT going on on the back of that boat. The arch, the wind pole, the Monitor.

I don't like the way it looks either. I don't even want to put the dodger back on. The damn boat is so pretty, when it's free of all that crap.

BUT, but, but ... where do I put the solar panels? no solar? Help me SA.

You guys have been great, by the way, and I appreciate the collection plate going around, lets just say instead that I get to say or do one stupid thing on SA, that you'll give me a pass for ????

More to come I'm sure. I'm going to have to have a difficult conversation with Gerald at Dudley ... At the very least he needs to know that Rocky currently has no license, no bonding, and no way to buy insurance. (and yes Gerald, I know you're reading this.)

I've learned one thing from this thread - unless they make it right with you Dart, I'm never doing business with Dudley Trucking. Freakin' ridiculous that Gerald put you onto this knucklehead.

Dart, the money you lost obviously isn't as important as your time and frustration (loss $ of course hurts but not life-changing). You write extremely well and I would love to read about the good part, the days leading up to your launch and the joy that first sail will provide. You have a story that literally is probably worth the price you paid to tell for many years to come and you have been embraced by the members of this website and how cool is it to have a personal invite from Bob P to visit? Definitely a speed bump, but maybe a good thing when looking back in the future.

Thanks for sharing along the hair-pulling journey and please start a new thread for the good stuff to come.

PS I hope Rocky's dog does not suffer from this.

I've learned one thing from this thread - unless they make it right with you Dart, I'm never doing business with Dudley Trucking. Freakin' ridiculous that Gerald put you onto this knucklehead.

How likely is it that Gerald was aware that Rocky was operating without a valid license and with a faulty rig?

How likely is it that Gerald was aware that Rocky was operating without a valid license and with a faulty rig?

It all started when we bought our Camano 31 in June and became a two boat, two payment family. I called Gerald Parker at Dudley Yacht Transport in Washington – knowing they are perhaps the premier big boat movers in the country – to get the boat sitting on the Mississippi transported to the Bay. Gerald, of course, wanted to avoid deadheading and was not sure when they could do it, so I started looking around. I finally settled on a hauler who sounded good, felt right, and seemed anxious to do the job – and sent him a $1500 deposit.

On the day I put the deposit in the mail Gerald – from Dudley – calls and says he has a driver headed back from New York who can pick us up two days later. I say I’m really sorry but I just mailed a deposit to another outfit. There’s a pause and Gerald – who is a very nice guy – quietly says he wishes I had not done that.

“You never give a deposit to anyone in our industry. There are too many crooks and frauds and fly-by-nights. The people who you want to hire do not need your deposit to get the job done and they are protected by having possession of your boat. We do not take a deposit.”

“Oh shit.” Followed by a little chit-chat, during which I realize the mailman with my deposit letter – is driving back down the other side of our street. I tell Gerald and sprint out the door, waving my arms and leaping in front of the mail truck. The mailman – one of my former students – recovers from his heart attack quickly, sympathizes with my plight and hands me the envelope. I rip it in several pieces as I go back to the house. Shaking badly, I can’t find Gerald’s phone number, but within a few minutes he calls me back – relieved that I have retrieved my deposit check. In the course our conversation, I mention a few details about why I had thought the other hauler would be OK – including a glowing magazine article about him -- and some reasons for having had some concerns. It wasn’t long before Gerald says it sounds like Elmer. (Name changed to protect the innocent.)

“ Smith?” I say. “Elmer Smith?”

“Yeah. Elmer’s a great hauler. I’ve known him for years. Been in our yard many times. He’ll do a great job for you. I don’t want to pull a job out from under Elmer.”

So, I go to my computer, print another copy of the contract, write another check – so much for the dramatic tearing up of the envelope – and mail it. Oh, that this were the end of the story. It takes about two more weeks to get the boat actually picked up. We do the 6 hour round trip three times before we finally make arrangements for the pick-up to occur without us. Most of that time, the boat takes up limited parking in a busy marina that had wanted the boat set for two days at the most. I have to say they were very nice about it. In the end, Elmer calls and tells us one of his drivers will actually do the haul.

Big Jim – not real name – calls the day before the pick-up and introduces himself and tells us what to expect – including a daily phone call from him. Very professional. Very impressive. Boy did I feel good about him. For three days, both my wife and I enjoy his calls. He keeps us posted and gives us background details about his long career hauling boats – enough details for me to look him up on the Internet to get the information to send him a nice thank-you note at the end of the job. I cannot find him. But I do find a sound-alike name. Given what I find, I spend several hours saying the names out loud and assuring myself that, even with my poor hearing, I could not have misheard Big Tim as Big Jim. Finally, I pop for the ten or twenty bucks and do a reverse search on his cell number. “Oh shit,” again. Big Tim is hauling my boat. Big Tim whom I find all over the Internet, including a magazine article documenting an exceptionally difficult haul that he pulled off years ago that others would not undertake. Unfortunately, most of the rest – and there is a boat load of it – is not nearly as flattering. Deposits taken boats not hauled. Boats picked up, delivered weeks and sometimes months later. One boat still missing in action over a year later, A flybridge on a large, high-end yacht cut off with a reciprocating saw, electrical and hydraulics sheared with lopping shears. Court actions. One whole freaking website devoted to Big Tim -- by a victim -- and his crimes against boat owners. And he has our baby. Needless to say, intense nausea grips my stomach and refuses to let go for over a week.

I call Elmer. He finally deduces from my babbling what I have discovered. He laughs and assures me I have nothing to worry about. OK. So I maintain contact with Big Tim although now I am calling him more than he is calling me. Mechanical hang up in Wyoming. Fourth of July weekend travel barriers. Wide load issues near Truckee requiring a return to Reno. One reason after another for a three day trip dragging on and on. Finally several days of “I’ll be in the boatyard tomorrow.” But day after day the boatyard reports not getting their day-ahead notice.

Maybe Clean could do a straight from the horse's mouth interview with the lot of them?

Maybe, but it would only end up in the same pile as the Gunboat and ETNZ stuff...............

Fark, when I read the bit about the suspended licence, I lost it. I cannot see how the hell Dart didn't tear him apart right there and then. Serious restraint Dart - Well done. (Maybe the presence of Law officers?)

But lets be honest, no court in any land would convict for the manslaughter/murder of that fuckwit after having read this account.

On a side note - the lack of licence would also mean that the insurance policy would be utterly invalid for the whole trip.

I would suggest that there is good grounds to recoup the cost of this part - as it clearly shows that the insurance company has done no due diligence into the veracity of the operator - and the endless repairs to a completely unroadworthy trailer/rig would further back that up.

And don't get me started on the whole Dudley whitewashing himself of this clusterfuck - he's as culpable as Rocky.

I can't help but wonder whether a Professional Indemnity claim against the Insurance Company and Rocky/Dudley wouldn't have legs - as well as a complaint against the Insurance Ombudsman (or US equivalence). No one in any of that crowd was doing anything other than taking fees and in return granting no meaningful advice, service, goods or cover.

Deep breaths Dart - your back on home turf, surrounded by trustworthy and local souls. Plenty of time to formulate how to get even...........

Definitely a tale to store in the database of life and use to avoid the many pitfalls you have endured - Kudos.

Who knows - but when this is on the home page of your website:

If you are looking for a dedicated, experienced and professional carrier, contact the finest-Dudley Boat Transportation.

And Dart did in fact contact "the finest" who put him onto this basketcase who was virtually NONE of the above, it's an issue as far as I'm concerned.

If his license was suspended a year and a half ago chances are his insurance has already been cancelled or if not any claim on it could have been denied for providing false info to his insurance company.

Congratulations!!

I promised not to post anymore until the boat made it home. Now that the boat is home and I am....boy do I have stuff to post come Monday.

Can't say it enough.... Dudley needs a settlement ASAP. As in now.

So Rocky is not a truck driver! His DOT card has been revoked and his CDL A is suspended. He can't even drive a Penske straight truck for any type of pay. This is the same truck that anyone with a license can rent to help move themselves. I wondered what was up with him having money problems. A CDL-A doing no touch freight can easily bring in $1000 a week after taxes working for someone else driving their truck!!!!

When you see the guys who deliver say car parts to the chain parts stores from a tractor trailer. They make aprox $1500++ a week before taxes. With the labor market so damn tight for CDL A's either you are going to pay a lot of money for an owner operator to deliver a boat or we are going to get Rocky not really a Driver.

If you are feeling sorry for Rocky that is understandable. However he is a con man. He has no legal way of providing the service that he contracted for. He has no possible way of insuring the transportation of the boat. He has no possible way of insuring his tractor or loboy trailer.

Since the boat crossed so many State lines we would have to research a lot however.... (Note this doesn't all go straight to Federal due to Interstate Commerce etc, etc)

The owners liability would be what if this happened would be a good place to start.

So... you just put in the situation.

If the boat fell over on a family car killing the entire family what would have been Dart's liability

If as Dart stated earlier...(Very incorrectly) ... that if the boat went in a canyon he would have an insurance claim.... would he? No... not only would he lose the boat but likely have to pay to clean up the mess.

You wouldn't be human if you haven't had at least one experience trying to help a lost soul, only for it to all fall apart. Some people cannot be helped, but it's human nature to try. Apart from $$$$$ & time this ended pretty well, all scenarios considered.

No license opens a huge can of worms for any kind of accident, no lawyer but I believe the liability would go to Dudley first since Dart would have no reason to suspect Rocky was naked. There would have been nothing good happening in any case. Really happy the boat made it, and still not sure how you kept your sanity.

Dinner at Bob's will help a lot.

No license opens a huge can of worms for any kind of accident, no lawyer but I believe the liability would go to Dudley first since Dart would have no reason to suspect Rocky was naked. There would have been nothing good happening in any case. Really happy the boat made it, and still not sure how you kept your sanity.

Dinner at Bob's will help a lot.

^

This.

Dart, if you pass up this opportunity by all accounts you're missing out.

Seriously? sorry SERIOUSLY??????

The only thing that will help will be an Attorney holding a pen with places to sign. Then later a check is in Dart's hand.

My understanding is that Rocky was not a subcontractor to Dudley, merely a recommendation from Dudley. If that's true then I would think it would be difficult to prove any legal culpability on Dudley's part.

My understanding is that Rocky was not a subcontractor to Dudley, merely a recommendation from Dudley. If that's true then I would think it would be difficult to prove any legal culpability on Dudley's part.

Gerald AKA Dudley the boat transport expert really needs to man up and show up here soon with the forthright defense or the heartfelt mea culpa.

• Was this just a bad referral?
  • Did Gerald take a cut of Dart's money?
  • Rocky with all his flaws along with the health issues may have been using some responsible judgement avoiding the western half of the trip and the inclines. The issues were much more than gas money and Rocky knew it. What Rocky did have was gas jockey and truck helming skills.
  • The answer left out was this rig needed thousands in repairs and someone with a valid ticket to drive it.

bottom_banner.png

4810 Pt. Fosdick Dr. NW, Suite 225, Gig Harbor, Wash. 98335

USA Toll Free: 1-800-426-8120 Local-Canada: 1-(253) 396-9662 E-mail: dudleyboat@gmail.com

Looking at Rocky from another viewpoint, he is probably a broke guy with only his truck to get by on. Apparently from the suspended license he has health issues on top of that, probably owes a lot in medical bills he cannot pay, they don't go through the process to place a stent for free. Most likely he is just plain desparate and doing anything he can to keep going.

Like the old saying, desparate people will do desparate things. It appears that he must be a fairly good driver, considering he went 3/4 of the way without brakes on the trailer with the 25-30,000 lb. boat on it. When stuck in OK where Dart finally reached him he was probably trying to find a way to get money to continue on, hoping he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and get moving before anyone noticed. Dealing with our freight broker I hear all kinds of stories so I think this is plausable, especially hearing his getting calls for help from drivers out of fuel and money.

As I have experienced with our loads these guys have a mind of their own and are not very predictable other than being unpredictable. Most times it works-out OK but with a little strife along the way. Darts story is pretty extreme compared to my experiences. I do not excuse Rocky but can feel for him a little, being in such dire straits his pride made him do and say things that, if in a better situation, he may not have done.

I'm happy for Dart that the boat made it home safe and sound, that one day he can look back on this adventure and have a laugh about how crazy it was.

Looking at Rocky from another viewpoint, he is probably a broke guy with only his truck to get by on. Apparently from the suspended license he has health issues on top of that, probably owes a lot in medical bills he cannot pay, they don't go through the process to place a stent for free. Most likely he is just plain desperate and doing anything he can to keep going.

Like the old saying, desparate people will do desparate things. It appears that he must be a fairly good driver, considering he went 3/4 of the way without brakes on the trailer with the 25-30,000 lb. boat on it. When stuck in OK where Dart finally reached him he was probably trying to find a way to get money to continue on, hoping he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and get moving before anyone noticed. Dealing with our freight broker I hear all kinds of stories so I think this is plausable, especially hearing his getting calls for help from drivers out of fuel and money.

As I have experienced with our loads these guys have a mind of their own and are not very predictable other than being unpredictable. Most times it works-out OK but with a little strife along the way. Darts story is pretty extreme compared to my experiences. I do not excuse Rocky but can feel for him a little, being in such dire straits his pride made him do and say things that, if in a better situation, he may not have done.

I'm happy for Dart that the boat made it home safe and sound, that one day he can look back on this adventure and have a laugh about how crazy it was.

This is probably the most accurate account of Rocky. I don't think he's a con man, he's been moving boats for 40 years, and I can't find a lick of bad press about him. He got caught out somehow, burned through the money and couldn't move. He was certainly a good driver, being that the trailer had no brakes. I can't fault any of those skills.

I'm not sure Gerald is going to show up here, I wouldn't. I don't think there is anything he could say to appease folks. I've said this in previous posts, I do NOT think he is legally culpable. I also do NOT think he knew the extent of Rocky's condition. I do think he knew Rocky was in a rough patch, but looking at Rocky makes me think he's been through a few, and probably never let Gerald down. That being said, wether or not Gerald is legally a broker, doesn't really change the fact that he is acting as one. I've got it on good authority that he's reading all this, he must see that even without being legally at fault, there should be a compromise to be reached. Honestly, I'm not looking for blood. I don't want to be compensated for my time, or distress ... I'm working on something that I think is fair to bring to him, and maybe even involve Rocky, but I'm not going to take the risk on him, Gerald will have to. Essentially the hard costs of everything that happened after the intended delivery date. Including me having to baby sit Rocky because he had proven himself not trust worthy.

Dinner with Bob, yeah, that's awfully neat, maybe even worth the price of admission with this whole nonsense.

I'm headed down to Delta to start turning her into a sailboat again, or at the very least wash the road grime off.

Looking at Rocky from another viewpoint, he is probably a broke guy with only his truck to get by on. Apparently from the suspended license he has health issues on top of that, probably owes a lot in medical bills he cannot pay, they don't go through the process to place a stent for free. Most likely he is just plain desperate and doing anything he can to keep going.

This is probably the most accurate account of Rocky. I don't think he's a con man, he's been moving boats for 40 years, and I can't find a lick of bad press about him. He got caught out somehow, burned through the money and couldn't move. He was certainly a good driver, being that the trailer had no brakes. I can't fault any of those skills.

I'm not sure Gerald is going to show up here, I wouldn't. I don't think there is anything he could say to appease folks. I've said this in previous posts, I do NOT think he is legally culpable. I also do NOT think he knew the extent of Rocky's condition. I do think he knew Rocky was in a rough patch, but looking at Rocky makes me think he's been through a few, and probably never let Gerald down. That being said, wether or not Gerald is legally a broker, doesn't really change the fact that he is acting as one. I've got it on good authority that he's reading all this, he must see that even without being legally at fault, there should be a compromise to be reached. Honestly, I'm not looking for blood. I don't want to be compensated for my time, or distress ... I'm working on something that I think is fair to bring to him, and maybe even involve Rocky, but I'm not going to take the risk on him, Gerald will have to. Essentially the hard costs of everything that happened after the intended delivery date. Including me having to baby sit Rocky because he had proven himself not trust worthy.

Dinner with Bob, yeah, that's awfully neat, maybe even worth the price of admission with this whole nonsense.

I'm headed down to Delta to start turning her into a sailboat again, or at the very least wash the road grime off.

Again congrats on getting the boat home and equally on your compassion and understanding.

No clue on the Dudley thing. We were looking at a boat in Asia that would have involved ships then truck to east coast and then a west coast boat that would have involved them. Both fell through and I guess I'm kinda glad. Sounds like logistics are a PITA. I learned enough to know that legally culpable or not I should stay away from Dudley.

If you are ever out on the east coast in Naps look me up. Dinner on me. Got extended family that drive and I know it ain't an easy life. Figured I would get laughed out of here for mentioning it but I did wonder if Rocky made his own lot worse trying to make good on on this (in his own not well thought out way). Would he have been better off to have walked away while he was home? Wonder how he even gets home now?

You are a rare story of grace under fire. My hat is off to you sir! Bravo Zulu!

Hope it works out for all of you.

Archived