Another stolen boat.

PinkSpinnaker

Looking at Rocky from another viewpoint, he is probably a broke guy with only his truck to get by on. Apparently from the suspended license he has health issues on top of that, probably owes a lot in medical bills he cannot pay, they don't go through the process to place a stent for free. Most likely he is just plain desparate and doing anything he can to keep going.

Like the old saying, desparate people will do desparate things. It appears that he must be a fairly good driver, considering he went 3/4 of the way without brakes on the trailer with the 25-30,000 lb. boat on it. When stuck in OK where Dart finally reached him he was probably trying to find a way to get money to continue on, hoping he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and get moving before anyone noticed. Dealing with our freight broker I hear all kinds of stories so I think this is plausable, especially hearing his getting calls for help from drivers out of fuel and money.

As I have experienced with our loads these guys have a mind of their own and are not very predictable other than being unpredictable. Most times it works-out OK but with a little strife along the way. Darts story is pretty extreme compared to my experiences. I do not excuse Rocky but can feel for him a little, being in such dire straits his pride made him do and say things that, if in a better situation, he may not have done.

I'm happy for Dart that the boat made it home safe and sound, that one day he can look back on this adventure and have a laugh about how crazy it was.

I'm not feeling too terribly sorry for Rocky. He knew his license was expired, I'm sure he didn't have insurance (which he knew), his rig couldn't even pass a casual visual safety check, and he spent the entire fee before even getting to OK knowing he needed fuel and food money to get to PNW. Desparate or not, he was completely irresponsible, and lied repeatedly about the situation. He may be a competent wheel man, but otherwise he's a major fucking disaster waiting to happen.

Looking at Rocky from another viewpoint, he is probably a broke guy with only his truck to get by on. Apparently from the suspended license he has health issues on top of that, probably owes a lot in medical bills he cannot pay, they don't go through the process to place a stent for free. Most likely he is just plain desparate and doing anything he can to keep going.

Like the old saying, desparate people will do desparate things. It appears that he must be a fairly good driver, considering he went 3/4 of the way without brakes on the trailer with the 25-30,000 lb. boat on it. When stuck in OK where Dart finally reached him he was probably trying to find a way to get money to continue on, hoping he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and get moving before anyone noticed. Dealing with our freight broker I hear all kinds of stories so I think this is plausable, especially hearing his getting calls for help from drivers out of fuel and money.

As I have experienced with our loads these guys have a mind of their own and are not very predictable other than being unpredictable. Most times it works-out OK but with a little strife along the way. Darts story is pretty extreme compared to my experiences. I do not excuse Rocky but can feel for him a little, being in such dire straits his pride made him do and say things that, if in a better situation, he may not have done.

I'm happy for Dart that the boat made it home safe and sound, that one day he can look back on this adventure and have a laugh about how crazy it was.

I'm not feeling too terribly sorry for Rocky. He knew his license was expired, I'm sure he didn't have insurance (which he knew), his rig couldn't even pass a casual visual safety check, and he spent the entire fee before even getting to OK knowing he needed fuel and food money to get to PNW. Desparate or not, he was completely irresponsible, and lied repeatedly about the situation. He may be a competent wheel man, but otherwise he's a major fucking disaster waiting to happen.
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind, being in his situation logic and responsibility are not at the forefront of the decision making process. It was wrong, no doubt, and another in a long line of bad decisions that have been made by Rocky. But, he is in a bad spot and scrambling to keep alive not worrying about any potential consequences, even with his own life, say if he wrecked with that load pushing his rig any which way it wanted.

Wess - No you are not going to be laughed out of here. Yes Rocky should have walked away from the disaster. Then sold his equipment if he still owned it. I have to laugh just a bit.....Rocky is described as someone who has lied throughout the process. Why do any of you believe issues that cannot be verified? The same for the Broker - Dudley. Treating issues as facts that are from a known liar is just a bit strange to me.

I would agree on the hard costs as a settlement

I would also pay another $200 for the opinion of an Attorney if Dart is not one. I would print out this thread as well as any other public posts. Put everything together for an Attorney who deals with DOT issues. What is the continued liability for Dart? DOT has specific reporting guidelines for everyone involved in the process. If Rocky continues to drive as a CDL A with or without the current rig is Dart liable for failure to report? Just how attached to Rocky has Dart become.

What is my opinion worth? Read my posts and predictions. As I said I know a little about trucks......Just my 2 cents.

Further - For those who are reading this and are interested in buying a boat from Canada or the Great Lakes - May I once again suggest RCR Yachts and bring up this entire thread...show it to them. Most of their services are FREE if they are your Broker. They have deliveries from Beneteau, Sabre and others that need return loads. RCR Yachts, Bob Perry, ETC are bigger names than yours and get better results. This does not insure that you will not go through the same disaster that Dart went through. It does mean that the odds are much less. Further the lowest bid to move your boat is likely not the best.

- If I fell on hard times and then rob a bank am I not a bank robber?

So who pays the return trip fuel tab?

Once the Owner Operator knows when he should complete the current trip he will contact his representative...usually a Broker who will try to find him a return load to closer where he wants to end the trip.

Don't do this at home ----- The real issue is at what point does the boat owners say FACK THIS!!! A tire blows, a fuel pump goes, he gets taken out of service for a DOT reason. There are so many possible costs on this trip. That truck looks real old to me and I kind of know tractors. Does it need a wrecker for the Tractor....That means he needs another truck to tow the loboy....that also means a CDL A driver who will drive that rather unbalanced load. Cash helps big time in that situation.

I am just watching this show....But everyone of us should get a wake up call to just how little we know about the issues of buying a boat.

Damn! Looks like you tore a page out of my life story! :D

Congratulations Dart on getting her home, karma and your attitude got you there mate. .

If I was Dudley, and I have been there in similar situations, I don't give a toss about my legal standpoint, if I was the reason you met Rocky and got screwed, I'd be all over you offering to get it fixed.

That approach has cost me a lot financially in the past, but looking at the big picture, we have grown the business every year without fail, still have those customers and more.

I do business with people, not the name on the shirt. In other words, you should live or die on your reputation. Fuck the legalities.

11,700 views on this thread, and in my opinion Dudley needs to make some recompense to Dart or he'll never recover from this story for years.

Judging by Dart's more than rationale account, you're probably trying to slide out of this as it is just another disaster on another work day that hopefully goes away soon. You come across as cynical and out for protecting your hard earned cash at the expense of someone that trusted your recommendation.

For probably the first time in years, be a fucking man, measure the fuck up and recompense Dart.

Only then will this story end on a happy ending, you get your reputation back, and 1000's of opinions of you will change overnight.

Balls in your court mate.....

Just wait til the movie comes out.

Speed 3: Project Payday

Starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, with Dennis Hopper as Rockly

Aging thriller stars Jack Traven and Annie Porter purchase a sailboat and arrange thru a shady broker (Kevin Spacey) to have it transported to the PNW. They join the driver (Hopper) on the trip, encountering many surprises and obstacles. On the long slope up the Cascades, the rig runs out of gas, Rockly having spent all the payment money on Jack Links Jerky and lotto tickets. Furthermore, the truck has no brakes, and the tires are on the verge of blowing out. What follows is a harrowing descent down mountain grades, backwards, without power, and with a large sailboat teetering on its loboy trailer.

Nominated for the UShip "Most drama -- boat or aircraft transport" award.

This matter needs to be presented to an Attorney who deals with truck transportation in the United States. There is more than just a bad reccomendation involved. Without reporting "Rocky" to Federal and State DOT's I question both Dart's and Dudley's continued liability for future events.

I am very disappointed in Washington State DOT for not having that truck pulled over in the trip. I am stunned that Rocky was not cited for driving without a license as well as numerous infractions for what he was towing when he pulled into the weigh station. The tractor, trailer and sailboat should have been seized. Understand that no DOT card means no Commercial Drivers License. No DOT Card invalidates any CDL. No CDL means driving without a license,

This entire matter is insane! DART DO NOT GO TO DUDLEY, GO TO AN ATTORNEY... I strongly recommend that you avoid Dudley, avoid anymore posts on social media and go to an Attorney. Print out all your social media posts. Give copies of everything you have. Write out a statement of your dealings with Dudley.

Dart has no way of knowing what Rocky will do next. As far as he knows Rocky could have all his equipment up for sale and retired from the trucking business. I don't have any of the licenses required to be a commercial trucker, I am not sure why Dart would be any responsible for reporting me to the authorities than he would be for Rocky about the concern either one of us may illegally drive at some point in the future.

Talking to an attorney, however, is not a bad idea both to protect himself legally from the small possibility of future liability and to see if he has any recourse to recoup his expenses beyond the original contract amount.

I think Rocky would be the one most responsible for the extra expenses but Rocky can't afford fuel for his truck so I don't see any money coming back from Rocky. Dudley looks to be insulated because their name isn't on anything. Depending on Dart's insurance perhaps there is a claim to be made there. But whenever I deal with insurance, I keep in mind that they stay in business by making up their losses and then some.

Dart may decide either with or without an attorney's help that putting this episode behind him and calling it a lesson learned could be the best course of action.

I have a feeling that Dart is not the man to pursue Dudley in a difficult process of uncertain outcome. He might rather be sailing.

But if I were him, I would give some thought to telling the driving authorities about Rocky, for if something were to go hideously wrong in this tail end of his driving career, one might be haunted by the thought that one could have done something.

Dear Dudley:

You sent my boat across the country with an uninsured unlicensed driver driving a POS truck and trailer with mostly not-working brakes. I am out of pocket X,000 dollars, not to mention my time.
What do you plan to do?

btw- thinking this might make a great start to a blog about yacht shipping ;)

Dear Dudley: You sent my boat across the country...

If I was Dudley, my answer would be "please show me on your contract with Rocky we are a party to the transaction?"

I think Dudley does have some moral obligation here. But, legally, them suggesting Dart use Rocky is no different than if you or I suggested Dart use Rocky. The inescapable truth is that Dart entered into an agreement with Rocky, not with Dudley.

Not so sure. I think this is different from a bar conversation. An actual trucking firm sending you to a specific trucker is going to have a duty of care beyond a random person.

Besides for all that, if I were Dudley I would cut a $10,000 check in a second to prevent the coming www.icalleddudleyandtheysentmewithanillegaltrucker.com soon to be online :lol:

Was there not some deal going down where Rocky paid a finder's fee to Dudley? Maybe someone who has read this whole thread in the last five minutes can remember this.

Not so sure. I think this is different from a bar conversation.

Maybe.

I don't know the laws, but I went a similar "referral" with my boat move over the winter.

Got the bid from Dudley, accepted it, and when it came time to schedule Dudley didn't have a truck in the area, so they hooked me up with Piazza and Sons. I did my due-diligence (got references, checked out Piazza's record on NHTSB website, got a copy of their insurance certificate, etc). And then chose to hire Piazza to do the job.

At no time did I think Dudley was still involved. If I'd had a problem, I probably would have called Gerald for advice. I made a decision to enter into a contract with Piazza, and (as far as I know) Dudley was not a legal or financial participant in my business with Piazza.

I think it boils down to some context: did Dudley say "Rocky will work as our sub in this deal"? Or did Dudley say "we can't do it, but here's the name of a guy who can, he'll do it at the same price we quoted, feel free to contact him if you want to use him"?

I think I heard mention somewhere in this thread that Dudley was going to make something on the back end of the deal. That once the boat was delivered Rocky was expected to kick back something akin to a finder's fee.

That would certainly change the situation if that was the case.

Upon hearing of another similar Dudley pass the job through to independent trucker deal, I wonder if they aren't using this as part of their business model. By not taking money upfront they stay out of the deal and avoid the liability but expect to get paid at the end. There would never be a written contract but the independent drivers would know if they didn't pay Dudley no more work would come their way from them.

I have no idea if this is the case or not but it is suspicious there is another similar case albeit with a happier story.

AND

whether or not Dudley was going to make any money on the transport when a professional company makes a recommendation in their field and it turns out to be such a total and illegal wreck, the company making the recommendation should take a very deserved hit to their reputation especially if they make no effort to make it good.

DUDLEY - Gerald always billed Rocky as "his guy", and I was never told or given any indication that I was dealing with a sub, UNTIL I already was in Florida to load the boat. When Rocky sent me a contract. Gerald continues to stay in these dealings, even talking to both Rocky and I today. He gets paid by Rocky on the back end. So no, maybe not a broker, but CERTAINLY more involved, then "here's a list have a nice day". I was never given a choice of driver, or sub, or waiting or anything. I said, "I need transport for this, it'll be ready on this day at this place." Gerald said "great, I'll have someone there", and that was it. He quoted me the price, and Rocky used the price even saying "what did Gerald quote you for the job." In my world, that would make him an agent, but I know nothing of this world. I WILL SAY THIS, I'm not willing at this moment to bring up any responsibility with Dudley until the boat gets to Seattle. It would be too easy to call Rocky and say "stop moving. "

DUDLEY - Gerald always billed Rocky as "his guy", and I was never told or given any indication that I was dealing with a sub, UNTIL I already was in Florida to load the boat. When Rocky sent me a contract. Gerald continues to stay in these dealings, even talking to both Rocky and I today. He gets paid by Rocky on the back end. So no, maybe not a broker, but CERTAINLY more involved, then "here's a list have a nice day". I was never given a choice of driver, or sub, or waiting or anything. I said, "I need transport for this, it'll be ready on this day at this place." Gerald said "great, I'll have someone there", and that was it. He quoted me the price, and Rocky used the price even saying "what did Gerald quote you for the job." In my world, that would make him an agent, but I know nothing of this world. I WILL SAY THIS, I'm not willing at this moment to bring up any responsibility with Dudley until the boat gets to Seattle. It would be too easy to call Rocky and say "stop moving. "

Thanks, that was the bit that I half-remembered.

Rocky is obviously a lousy business man, should never have been an owner operator. It does seem worth mentioning that the guy can drive, while brakes are really secondary in descending grades, doing so without any seems remarkable.

Perhaps Gerald can pick him up, dust him off and get his license back, buy (or probably better sell his rig) and hire him to haul under more controlled circumstances. I don't see anyone else doing anything for Rocky. That along with making things right with Dart and all could be right with the world again. I have never met Gerald or had any dealing with Dudley but after a lifetime of good and bad business experiences the light at the end of the tunnel would be the path I have laid out. My $.02

Not so sure. I think this is different from a bar conversation. An actual trucking firm sending you to a specific trucker is going to have a duty of care beyond a random person.

Besides for all that, if I were Dudley I would cut a $10,000 check in a second to prevent the coming www.icalleddudleyandtheysentmewithanillegaltrucker.com soon to be online :lol:

Already happened with 10,000 plus views here along with the fully google searchable SA forum. Gerald's mistake if there is any innocence here is Gerald failed to show up with facts to defend himself. So far the undisputed facts are all one way.

i wonder if the higher up's ( if there are any ) at dudley's knows about this. because if gerald worked for me , he would be in short supply of a job if i , as his superior weren't notified of the situation. we sell and ship a ton of stuff daily , and 99% of the time when the situation of a salesman even gets a little out of hand and could effect my business reputation , i am notified. this is now a HUGE PR problem for dudley's .

Holy drama lama.

It's over. Done and dusted.

Lesson learned for the rest of us re Dudley and trucking.

Dart just got a new boat home. Last place I would be hangin is SA.

Just sayin.

The problem I see that I think is worth bringing up not so much for Dart but the rest of posters and readers of this thread is this:

1. Transportation is a very odd duck when it comes to United States laws and regulations when you cross State lines. Don't assume anything

2. Dart might have unknowingly then fully knowing about Rocky's lack of DOT card violated an amazing number of laws....maybe!!

3. Dudley might be liable for more than what many of you are trying to post.....or...liable for nothing.....AND....have Dart over a barrell as he is the one who broke so many laws.

4. Dudley or any small firm is not going to write a check without a legal settlement that ends their civil liability with Dart and that needs an Attorney.

Go to an Attorney who deals in Truck Transportation in Washington State.... This is well past the point of free advice on a Sailboat website. While at certain points along this trip it seemed clear that Dudley was in the wrong on at least a PR level I honestly have no idea at this point. If Dudley is at fault an Attorney should be the one to contact that firm. Otherwise there could be additional Washington State laws violated.

Once again, just because you are a successful MD, Engineer or Inheritor does not make you an expert in boats.

The problem I see that I think is worth bringing up not so much for Dart but the rest of posters and readers of this thread is this:

1. Transportation is a very odd duck when it comes to United States laws and regulations when you cross State lines. Don't assume anything

2. Dart might have unknowingly then fully knowing about Rocky's lack of DOT card violated an amazing number of laws....maybe!!

3. Dudley might be liable for more than what many of you are trying to post.....or...liable for nothing.....AND....have Dart over a barrell as he is the one who broke so many laws.

4. Dudley or any small firm is not going to write a check without a legal settlement that ends their civil liability with Dart and that needs an Attorney.

Go to an Attorney who deals in Truck Transportation in Washington State.... This is well past the point of free advice on a Sailboat website. While at certain points along this trip it seemed clear that Dudley was in the wrong on at least a PR level I honestly have no idea at this point. If Dudley is at fault an Attorney should be the one to contact that firm. Otherwise there could be additional Washington State laws violated.

Once again, just because you are a successful MD, Engineer or Inheritor does not make you an expert in boats.

Illustration #1

steve-jobs-yacht.jpg?quality=75&strip=co

I know in my world of air transportation of cargo there is NFW I would get away with setting up a plane and customer, getting paid one way or another, and then get to play dumb when the plane is out of annual and the pilot has no medical.

Dudley has maybe latched on to a way they THINK they can make money with no risk, but IMHO had Rocky killed someone with his brakeless truck he would have plenty of company in court!

Illustration #1

steve-jobs-yacht.jpg?quality=75&strip=co

Did Bob Perry let his Dog design a boat again? .....Ha just joking...I know it was the Cat....Pagoda litterbox style...We have another boat buyer who might have wanted an outside consultant.....perhaps the low fee made him think it was not worth it?

Well by that logic, if I was a passenger on a boat, and I knew the captain did not have a valid license, its my fault the captain decided to continue his voyage. It would be my fault if I stayed on that boat and got injured....

Rocky broke the law on his own... the fact that he got as far as he got crossing so many state lines with out getting caught just shows the ineptness of the trucking laws and state inspections/weigh stations.

Well by that logic, if I was a passenger on a boat, and I knew the captain did not have a valid license, its my fault the captain decided to continue his voyage. It would be my fault if I stayed on that boat and got injured....

Rocky broke the law on his own... the fact that he got as far as he got crossing so many state lines with out getting caught just shows the ineptness of the trucking laws and state inspections/weigh stations.

We all hope that is correct. I would believe the scenario would be more along the lines of I contracted a tug and barge to carry my 44 foot sailboat from Chicago to Texas and at a state border docked and found out that the Captain did not have a license. I then elected to continue the voyage instead of contracting with a different carrier. I was not a passenger but was following the tug and tow in a chartered powerboat.

Which doesn't matter because DOT would just look at me strange and state that law and regulation on inland waterways compared to interstates is rather different. I have U.S. DOT FMCSA Parts 40, 303,325, 350-399 on my desk and would say that I am clueless even with all of the nice links that are provided. I am very curious though. So best bet on a public forum is to contact an Attorney who specializes in this type of matter not one who is in a completely different field. This becomes even a better idea when the individual involved is trying to collect a settlement. IMHO

Hey y'all.

Between trying to catch up on work, and trying to ready the boat to splash time has been limited. I apologize.

FWIW not much has changed. Rocky is at a truck stop up near Everett, he has apparently squared away his license.

Gerald has not given him any more work, as I understand it, because Rocky texts me everyday, and tells me he's still there. I'm not sure why he thinks I care, I'd like him to sit at least 2 months just like the boat did.

I've gotten some legal council, and have a good plan, if I need to use it. I've gotten all my ducks squared up, and as soon as I'm out of this meeting this morning, I'm going to see if Gerald wants to meet and discuss. I'll let you you know how it goes.

I have a feeling that Dart is not the man to pursue Dudley in a difficult process of uncertain outcome. He might rather be sailing.

But if I were him, I would give some thought to telling the driving authorities about Rocky, for if something were to go hideously wrong in this tail end of his driving career, one might be haunted by the thought that one could have done something.

I'm hoping that sitting down rationally with Gerald (aka Dudley Trucking) will result in something amenable to both of us, if not I'll send in the lawyers. I informed the WSP where Rocky was hold up and that his license was on medical hold. I filed a report with the DOT.

Not so sure. I think this is different from a bar conversation.

Maybe.

I don't know the laws, but I went a similar "referral" with my boat move over the winter.

Got the bid from Dudley, accepted it, and when it came time to schedule Dudley didn't have a truck in the area, so they hooked me up with Piazza and Sons. I did my due-diligence (got references, checked out Piazza's record on NHTSB website, got a copy of their insurance certificate, etc). And then chose to hire Piazza to do the job.

At no time did I think Dudley was still involved. If I'd had a problem, I probably would have called Gerald for advice. I made a decision to enter into a contract with Piazza, and (as far as I know) Dudley was not a legal or financial participant in my business with Piazza.

I think it boils down to some context: did Dudley say "Rocky will work as our sub in this deal"? Or did Dudley say "we can't do it, but here's the name of a guy who can, he'll do it at the same price we quoted, feel free to contact him if you want to use him"?

Rocky being a sub was never discussed. Nor was Dudley not doing, or having time for the job. I got from Gerald "I'll have a guy there". I understand that he is not legally on the hook. Even if he's running a referral service. In WA their might be some "brokering" laws he's in violation of, but that's still being researched. I don't want to crush Dudley, I just want them to share the moral responsibility (and financial) for making the choice of Rocky.

I think I heard mention somewhere in this thread that Dudley was going to make something on the back end of the deal. That once the boat was delivered Rocky was expected to kick back something akin to a finder's fee.

That would certainly change the situation if that was the case.

Upon hearing of another similar Dudley pass the job through to independent trucker deal, I wonder if they aren't using this as part of their business model. By not taking money upfront they stay out of the deal and avoid the liability but expect to get paid at the end. There would never be a written contract but the independent drivers would know if they didn't pay Dudley no more work would come their way from them.

I have no idea if this is the case or not but it is suspicious there is another similar case albeit with a happier story.

AND

whether or not Dudley was going to make any money on the transport when a professional company makes a recommendation in their field and it turns out to be such a total and illegal wreck, the company making the recommendation should take a very deserved hit to their reputation especially if they make no effort to make it good.

Hmmmm .... No comment .... yet.

Cheers y'all. Boat is coming along nicely. Washing, painting, waxing, rigging ... plus catching up on my full time work ... I'm a tired man.

Bob, so the dog draws houses? grabbing hat and coat.................

Good luck dart - I have had some success in initial situations by using the advice I got from an attorney many years ago - in a divorce there is no 50/50, a good one is 30/30 and both parties are unhappy. You open by stating your legal counsel recommends such and such, if we can agree on something then we both save a lot of time and one or both of us will save a lot of money.

if that's the same arc that was pictured on the trailer, it looks way better mounted on the boat.

I was thinking the same thing. Have to look at a few more angles but it looks more like a big arch rather than a small tuna tower in that shot.

Good to see the boat safely in its home slip.

Maybe Mr. Perry will set me straight here? But, I do not understand why any sailor would carry that much weight, that much windage, that high? Bad physics and ugly in my eyes.

10155224_10201881488978912_1838717333060

What he said ^^^^^

I understand that the Arch works but when not cruising to far off shores I think my solar panels, raft, grill and whatever else is on that thing would be off the boat. A new design where this is easily done might be desireable. Radar should be either on its own pole aft or the mast. GPS....not sure.

I do like the boom extender to keep the RIB on the aft deck or stern rail cradle. Launch the rib with the boom. But as the new owner asked..."where do you put the solar panels?"

Would those new solar sails that are available on the J88 work?

What he said ^^^^^

I understand that the Arch works but when not cruising to far off shores I think my solar panels, raft, grill and whatever else is on that thing would be off the boat. A new design where this is easily done might be desireable. Radar should be either on its own pole aft or the mast. GPS....not sure.

I do like the boom extender to keep the RIB on the aft deck or stern rail cradle. Launch the rib with the boom. But as the new owner asked..."where do you put the solar panels?"

Would those new solar sails that are available on the J88 work?

Unless you are on some survival program why do you need to buy and carry around solar panels?

Boo:

It's "Bob" to you please.

I am totally with you/ Weight is always the enemy. All that added windage aft is like a mizzen you can't trim or furl.

But, I surrender! Too many cruisers today want all that shit all the time. It's their choice and that's fine with me. But if they call and ask why their boat is down in the stern I will give them the straight answer. Nicely though.

Boo:

It's "Bob" to you please.

I am totally with you/ Weight is always the enemy. All that added windage aft is like a mizzen you can't trim or furl.

But, I surrender! Too many cruisers today want all that shit all the time. It's their choice and that's fine with me. But if they call and ask why their boat is down in the stern I will give them the straight answer. Nicely though.

Agree 100%. Plus it's fucking unsightly...like driving a nice car around with mattress, furniture, and crap permanently strapped to the roof.

Possible caption this....

2013-08-22%2BArch%2B006.jpg

How about " I'm in the Islands on an Amel while you are in your basement on the internet."

And a compact car!

Ya know... this arch has nice features - maybe those lift points can handle a dinghy?

Sorry, phone post fucked the formatting.

Hey can I make you a beverage? These panels fire up a mean blender, it's in my aft cabin.

And a compact car!

Ya know... this arch has nice features - maybe those lift points can handle a dinghy?

Sorry, phone post fucked the formatting.
Somebody watched Bridges of Madison County too many times.

Offer to pay for a one trip rider on his policy and pay the insurer DIRECTLY

There are actually a bunch of things one can do.

When I trucked my boat up from CA, I checked references. I also checked the trucking company's safety record on the federal "motor carrier safety administration" site - their "SAFER" (safety and fitness records) database shows accidents, safety infractions, inspection citations, etc.

And, through my own insurance, got a "binder" on the trip that covered the boat (not just gaps in the truckers' insurance... it covered *me*.) Cost about 40 bucks, and covered "from water to water", which seemed good, because the trucker's certificate of insurance only covered the boat "from lift to lift" - meaning from the time it touches the trailer until the time it is lifted off.

None of that would have helped with a guy who ran out of money in Oklahoma, though. Except maybe some red flags on the federal database listing.

$.02

What a saga!! Thanks for sharing, and big props to Dartanyon for keeping his cool! Probably throwing more good money after bad to chase the trucker. Learned that lesson well when I paid 2 grand for a 5 grand judgement on a deadbeat tenant. Judgement is good for life, but the only asset she had was her car which she needs to work, so not able to lien.

What a saga!! Thanks for sharing, and big props to Dartanyon for keeping his cool! Probably throwing more good money after bad to chase the trucker. Learned that lesson well when I paid 2 grand for a 5 grand judgement on a deadbeat tenant. Judgement is good for life, but the only asset she had was her car which she needs to work, so not able to lien.

If you mean to imply that once you have a judgment it will stay in existence forever, you probably need to check with the court which granted it. Most judgments have an expiration date, but can usually be renewed.

Looks like this. And no, this one is NOT my design!

barge_zpslfvqtquq.jpg

Looks similar to the Double Ugly that Rasputin delivered. Those things keep on keepin on. That's a perfect haul for that guy. He should see if he can siphon any leftover diesel out of Double Ugly.

I was thinking more like, "Here, take this out somewhere and lose it."

That'd be a great insurance scam....hire Rocky, knowing that the boat will end up on the side of the road in Oklahoma, never to be seen again...

lasal,

That cat has a much finer entry than the Double Ugly. Not as much top hamper either. I doubt the original Double Ugly from my seastory would hold together sitting on a trailer like that.

I had a friend who was trailing a Formula 40 catamaran from the Prosail 40 event in San Francisco back east on I-10 to make the championship event in Miami. They had the hulls bolted to a pair of 4x4's sitting in the saddles where the cross tubes normally were. There were some 2x8's and carpet lashed crosswise across the rails of a powerboat trailer and the whole rig was pretty shaky. Somewhere out in the Nevada desert they were bombing along at 85 MPH and the rhythm of the seams in the concrete set up a harmonic with the springs (or lack thereof) in the trailer and the hulls slid off the trailer and they felt a 'disturbance in the force' and looked in the rear view mirrors and were shocked to see the boats hull no longer there. As they reflexively hit the brakes they saw the F-40 pass them in the right hand lane. It took a long time to slow and finally come to a stop. The bottoms had been ground down to perfect waterline shapes about 12' long and about 9" wide. They were able to winch it back on the trailer and it rode a lot better on its newly flattened bottoms. Big rush to repair the bottoms and rig the boat in the few days before the event. They were still at it late the night before the first days racing and were so wacked out I noticed that they were rigging the rudders switched out port and starboard. I mentioned that oversite and offered to help out with the last of the rigging and was rewarded with a place on the crew for the series. Boat probably would have been faster if they had glassed the road rash holes over flat rather than try and restore the original sections. The designer was a NA for the Navy whose experience was designing destroyers. The F-40 cat must have been wanting to be a destroyer too! 'Destroyed' was more like it...

I've been passed by quite a few multi hulls, but not on the interstate! Another good story Rasper. Thanks. I'm glad the OP has his boat in the water, your story might have put him over the edge!

• 6 months later...

Archived