B&G RemoteVision needed

Rupeski

Hi All,

I am on the lookout for a B&G Remote Vision remote control and wireless port to retrofit to a B&G H3000 set up. The system is fitted to a 2010 A31 and the product has been discontinued and B&G don't have any left. If anyone has one they want to sell, please be in touch.

It looks like this: http://www.bandg.com/en-GB/products/RemoteVision/

Thanks a lot,

Gotcha. Do be aware that the GyroTrac is more than 20 years old and by today's standards isn't even a good compass and is hardly perfect. That said, it's the only compass option for the ACP auto pilot and I expect that's your application.

• 9 months later...

Just to bring this one full circle. I searched for ages to try and find a B&G Remote Vision, with no success. However, I did manage to build a solution fairly cheaply, which some of you may be interested in to avoid the many hours of research I had to do to get there. This solution centres around creating a remote control unit for the B&G ACP1 or ACP2. It does not matter what other instrumentation or pilot display system is attached to this pilot as the system interacts directly with the pilot.

This pilot was built to operate with a wired handheld unit and you can see this in the opertaing manual here: https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/b-g/network-pilot-acp/manual-english/page-58.html . Obviously a wired handled is cumbersome on a yacht when fed outside into the cockpit, but you can use the ports available to connect the handheld to attach a Wireless remote control system whose relays can throw the switches that the wired handheld would normally do. The unit I used to do this is designed to open garage doors. It can be found here: https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/remote-control-systems-c9/viper-remote-control-systems-c17

I contacted them directly and they built me an 8 channel version of the Viper system. It is waterproof and you can easily pair additional remote units. They will even build you a custom made sticker for on/off, -1 +1, -10 +10 if you ask to replace the numbers 1 to 8 on the standard transmitter. I then used the following wiring combination to create the right switches which mirrors the job that the handheld would have done.

AP OFF: black-white
AP ON: black-brown

+10: black-yellow
-10: black-blue

+1: black-violet
-1: black-green

You need to link the pre-determined relay switch to relevant coloured switch port on the ACP unit and then follow the process to get the RF receiver to 'learn' the command from the remote transmitter but RF supply instructions to do this.

The system works really well and I can now alter the pilot whilst on the foredeck sailing singlehanded without issue. Project cost approx £150

On 2017-5-22 at 7:59 PM, Rupeski said:

Just to bring this one full circle. I searched for ages to try and find a B&G Remote Vision, with no success. However, I did manage to build a solution fairly cheaply, which some of you may be interested in to avoid the many hours of research I had to do to get there. This solution centres around creating a remote control unit for the B&G ACP1 or ACP2. It does not matter what other instrumentation or pilot display system is attached to this pilot as the system interacts directly with the pilot.

This pilot was built to operate with a wired handheld unit and you can see this in the opertaing manual here: https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/b-g/network-pilot-acp/manual-english/page-58.html . Obviously a wired handled is cumbersome on a yacht when fed outside into the cockpit, but you can use the ports available to connect the handheld to attach a Wireless remote control system whose relays can throw the switches that the wired handheld would normally do. The unit I used to do this is designed to open garage doors. It can be found here: https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/remote-control-systems-c9/viper-remote-control-systems-c17

I contacted them directly and they built me an 8 channel version of the Viper system. It is waterproof and you can easily pair additional remote units. They will even build you a custom made sticker for on/off, -1 +1, -10 +10 if you ask to replace the numbers 1 to 8 on the standard transmitter. I then used the following wiring combination to create the right switches which mirrors the job that the handheld would have done.

You need to link the pre-determined relay switch to relevant coloured switch port on the ACP unit and then follow the process to get the RF receiver to 'learn' the command from the remote transmitter but RF supply instructions to do this.

The system works really well and I can now alter the pilot whilst on the foredeck sailing singlehanded without issue. Project cost approx £150

Rup that is a very cool workaround. I did something similiar with a  fold out transom platform so I could remotely close it up from the dingy before taking off and opening it on return. Leaving it open when boat was unattended I figured was a bit too inviting to the unscrupulous. You can do similiar things like taking anchor switches back to the wheel without the pain of wiring though the length of the boat etc.

Your workaround made me think of Raymarine's old wired AP remotes. They were pretty sophisticated in that they tapped straight into the data backbone to communicate with the course computer. Your workaround wouldn't work with this setup.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎-‎05‎-‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Rupeski said:

Hi Rupeski

I have a extra B&G remote vision for sale. complete system with remote Port and Hand held unit. 100% working..

Let me know if this is of your interest..

Regards

Martin, DK

Hi Martin, 

Many thanks for your message, a few months ago I would have been delighted to get it! However, I have now found a really good solution in the above so the Remote Vision is now surplus to requirement. If you put it on eBay, I am sure you will get a good price. I would have paid a lot if I had seen one before I designed the above solution, so I am sure you will make someone's day. 

Thanks a lot anyway, Rupert 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have had a few requests for further information from people building their own systems like this and it is good to see that working solutions are being implemented. By way of installation help, here are a couple of photos:

Inside the ACP 1:

IMG_20170924_160824271.jpg

Inside the Viper unit:

IMG_20170924_161149503.jpg

Archived