Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve mentioned to a few folks about the challenges I face foiling in Savannah to include the tidal currents which can be very strong.  This past weekend I was working a section of the Wilmington River

Actually not commenting on the above video but I don't want it to get buried by my Fulcrum update for the holidays, so i'm responding to it to keep it in frame. Martin is conveying what I'd love to co

Clean: not so sure the UFO is slower than. Waszp.  Dave has cuffed more than one or two around, but that could also be pilot differentiation. But to repeat and reiterate, we weren’t trying t

Posted Images

11 hours ago, fastyacht said:

A

Aaron Porter is a very good technical writer and editor. Nicely written article and no fluff. Thanks to Dave for taking the time to be interviewed and featured in Professional Boatbuilder magazine.

I have, from reliable sources, that many fans were bitterly disappointed -- no Bill Gates style glamour shot

• Like 2

Dave,

Just read the Professional Boatbuilder article and want to pass on a Bravo Zulu (sorry Navy terminology dies hard) on eliminating plastic waste.  

Hope the federal government will tackle this issue - most of our recycled plastic goes to landfill.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Joseph Lapp said:

Dave,

Just read the Professional Boatbuilder article and want to pass on a Bravo Zulu (sorry Navy terminology dies hard) on eliminating plastic waste.  

Hope the federal government will tackle this issue - most of our recycled plastic goes to landfill.

Thanks! All told, the costs drive us to cut down waste in the first place. So real liberty over our process helps us cut back the waste. If dumpster-based garbage disposal became three times more expensive tomorrow, this trend would accelerate.

DRC

• Like 6
On 1/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dave Clark said:

Thanks! All told, the costs drive us to cut down waste in the first place. 
DRC

Dave:   When you have some free reading time, pick up a copy of Ray Anderson's "Confessions of a Radical Industrialist."   He was the founder and CEO of Interface Carpets and decided in the late 90's that they had to change their petroleum intensive, single use industry into a business that was truly sustainable, one that made the world a better place every day that it was in operation.   Most folks thought that his goal was impossible and he would tank the business.  Instead, he showed how focusing on minimizing waste, maximizing yield, and thinking about the full product life cycle created a business that was far more robust and valuable than his competitors.   Its a really good read.  When I taught manufacturing management at UVM, I had my students read it.

• Like 2

I’ve mentioned to a few folks about the challenges I face foiling in Savannah to include the tidal currents which can be very strong.  This past weekend I was working a section of the Wilmington River where the Herb River joins it.  With the outgoing tide, the currents from each river converges almost 180 degrees out, creating a vicious shear which can be seen on the surface of the water in the form of foam or even the way the wind reacts with the surface.

On one of my first flights of the day, I saw that I was heading for “the line.”  I even started laughing to myself because, even though I didn’t know exactly what was going to happen, I knew something was going to happen.  Hilarity ensued.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s the completely unedited sequence...

• Like 10

The Miami Winter UFO Get-Together has moved to February 26-28. Come sail! We have a few additional sailors in the roster. Expecting it'll be a grand time.

In the meantime, we had a cold snap, and man it was cold! (5C-10C, that's 40-50F). Even the water was cold! Brrr. And the wind blew from the West which is rare, and not-so-good. 5kt baseline wind, with 15+kt gusts sneaking between the buildings and landing as "cat's paws" with unpredictable direction shifts. 

So I'd power up the sail to get - in 5kt - to the windy spot, only to be greeted by 15kt of turbulent, shifty wind. It was strange, but it was a hoot.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Kelly Federal said:

Please, Martin, tell me I can leave my drysuit behind for the Miami get-together.

:-) yes! Been out in the water all day today, disappointing because it was a drifter – far from the 10-14kt promised in the forecast. But the temperature was gawjus: 20C/70F. Water still coldish. I had a long 3mm wetsuit and I was overheating. 

A bunch of M32s were out practicing, they had also expected 10-14kt... one of them managed to capsize in... dunno, 6kt? 

2 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

:-) yes! Been out in the water all day today, disappointing because it was a drifter – far from the 10-14kt promised in the forecast. But the temperature was gawjus: 20C/70F. Water still coldish. I had a long 3mm wetsuit and I was overheating. 

A bunch of M32s were out practicing, they had also expected 10-14kt... one of them managed to capsize in... dunno, 6kt? 

You guys make me jealous. My big win for this week was integrating a mobile standing desk/toolcart so I can coach people on the shop floor more comprehensively. Meanwhile my river is intermittently frozen.

DRC

• Like 3

I know I probably should’ve trimmed this down more, but I just couldn’t do it — I just had SO MUCH FUN I couldn’t bring myself to cut anymore.  When I saw the breeze fill in around late morning I tagged out of homeschooling duties with my wife and went straight to the water.  Heading out in the middle of a workday, I had the whole river to myself.  Don’t know if I got the rig tuning right, if the fickle wind/current conditions typical of Savannah went my way for about an hour, or if I was just lucky, but everything came together this past Friday and I got some of the longest flights I’ve ever had.  By the time I splashed down on the last flight, I was spent and had a perma-grin on my face.

Every time I come off the water I think that it just can’t get any better, but it does.  So I keep coming back.

Two more weeks of sailing on my own before the road trip to Miami!!!  Can’t wait to me other UFO-ers.

• Like 5
On 2/2/2021 at 10:26 PM, Kelly Federal said:

I’ve mentioned to a few folks about the challenges I face foiling in Savannah to include the tidal currents which can be very strong.  This past weekend I was working a section of the Wilmington River where the Herb River joins it.  With the outgoing tide, the currents from each river converges almost 180 degrees out, creating a vicious shear which can be seen on the surface of the water in the form of foam or even the way the wind reacts with the surface.

On one of my first flights of the day, I saw that I was heading for “the line.”  I even started laughing to myself because, even though I didn’t know exactly what was going to happen, I knew something was going to happen.  Hilarity ensued.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s the completely unedited sequence...

Federal, that WAS hilarious. I loved the "all right... arrrrgh!!" You just hit a wall! Did you figure out what happened?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Truth be told, I was a bit hung over and headachy (rum and watching AC last night). Too slow to handle 20kt gusting 26 so made a couple runs, and nursed my sorry head back home. The runs look good on video, so here they are :-)

Who's coming to Miami this Friday to sail with me?

• Like 5

Hello,

I just placed an order for a UFO for delivery in late June. I'll be leaning heavily on the expertise here as I have never foiled. I am a laser sailor looking for a new thrill. Here are a few questions to start. Thanks in advance for your support.

1. I am on the North Shore of Boston, any of you in my neighborhood?

2. I am figuring out my best options for storing and launching. I have access to a dock but it is on the inside of a railroad bridge about 50 yards away. This would be a great place to store it because I could leave it fully rigged. The bridge master won't let me sail under the bridge, but I can paddle under with the sail lowered. Has anyone tried paddling their UFO with a SUP paddle? Is it possible to raise and lower the sail while on the water?

Thanks!

At one location, I have launched and paddled over to other areas for raising the sail.  I have also done it on the water, but both raising and lowering the sail on the water is a PITA.   

Is there a shallow area just past the bridge where you can "park" and do the raising and lowering?

1 minute ago, P Flados said:

At one location, I have launched and paddled over to other areas for raising the sail.  I have also done it on the water, but both raising and lowering the sail on the water is a PITA.   

Has anyone moved the cleat (or was it subsequently moved) for the halyard? To me, that's the hardest part of raising / lowering the sail on the water; i.e. getting far enough to get a decent angle on the jam cleat. I was thinking of just putting a cleat lower on the mast or on the deck.

3 hours ago, barthrh said:

Has anyone moved the cleat (or was it subsequently moved) for the halyard? To me, that's the hardest part of raising / lowering the sail on the water; i.e. getting far enough to get a decent angle on the jam cleat. I was thinking of just putting a cleat lower on the mast or on the deck.

You could replace the cleat with the fitting the Weta has. It'll hook well on a knot on the halyard. But the cleat/hook point has to stay pretty high on the mast.

I've hosted and dropped the sail on the water. It is a PITA because you need to be working from a spot well aft of the stern. I did it swimming/floating off the stern. Not only because of the cleat – once your battens have good tension, you really need to bend the mast with your pulling of the halyard to have the sail slide up the track well.

MIAMI OR BUST!

Last sail before breaking the boat down.  VERY gusty conditions.  Had a couple high-speed ventilation events on the first flight, but a quick adjustment on the rudder trim fixed it and had another glorious day.  Next foiling session is in Miami!!!

E32988FC-5B04-4CDF-939E-C17E1CF32B92.jpeg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, barthrh said:

I believe the challenge you will have with bringing the cleat to the bottom of the mast is that it will be difficult to maintain luff tension on the main.   The UFO seems pretty sensitive to how far the top of the main is from the top of the mast, and you want to be able to set it and be sure it stays there.   The longer the distance between the sail and the cleat, the more stretch you will have in the halyard.   You will also double the compression force on the mast, so you will have a lot more bend it in than the sail produces on its own.  I'm not sure if that will cause a problem or not, but it will certainly change the shape of the sail.

However, I agree, raising and lowering the sail on the water, particularly if you don't have a support boat and there is any wind on, is near impossible.   Moving the cleat might make it a little easier, but it will still likely be quite difficult.

Thanks for all the input above!  By regulation, you can't have a raised sail as you pass under the bridge. I get that raising the sail while afloat would be a PITA.  Moving on to plan B, I have another location close to home where I can dolly the boat to a rocky beach. It will just require taking the mast down between the storage and launching site to get under some trees.  Is it feasible to lift off the top section and leave the lower pieces in place? Top and middle?

Thnx

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Thanks for all the input above!  By regulation, you can't have a raised sail as you pass under the bridge. I get that raising the sail while afloat would be a PITA.  Moving on to plan B, I have another location close to home where I can dolly the boat to a rocky beach. It will just require taking the mast down between the storage and launching site to get under some trees.  Is it feasible to lift off the top section and leave the lower pieces in place? Top and middle?

Thnx

It's relatively easy to take the rig down - fully assembled, boom and all, with mainsheet in place etc, lay it on the deck and dolly around for a short distance. Further disassembly starts getting a bit trickier. Can still be done quickly by a motivated sailor :-) but I'd try to avoid it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ledge said:

Hello,

I just placed an order for a UFO for delivery in late June. I'll be leaning heavily on the expertise here as I have never foiled. I am a laser sailor looking for a new thrill. Here are a few questions to start. Thanks in advance for your support.

1. I am on the North Shore of Boston, any of you in my neighborhood?

2. I am figuring out my best options for storing and launching. I have access to a dock but it is on the inside of a railroad bridge about 50 yards away. This would be a great place to store it because I could leave it fully rigged. The bridge master won't let me sail under the bridge, but I can paddle under with the sail lowered. Has anyone tried paddling their UFO with a SUP paddle? Is it possible to raise and lower the sail while on the water?

Thanks!

@Ledge, welcome to the team!  My background is very similar: sailing Lasers and wanting a boat that is more modern.  I launch my boat at a beach that requires me to sail or paddle (not foil) underneath a bridge.  The UFO will fit safely under a 19 foot bridge clearance.  The boat is easy to paddle but there's not much space to store a paddle on the boat.  I think the community knowledge on paddling is to paddle like a surfboard by putting your chest out on one of the bows and arm paddling.  I have found that I can steer the boat with one of my feet on the tiller.  I hope that helps and keep asking questions and watching videos to climb the learning curve.  We're all here to help each other! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DerekF said:

@Ledge, welcome to the team!  My background is very similar: sailing Lasers and wanting a boat that is more modern.  I launch my boat at a beach that requires me to sail or paddle (not foil) underneath a bridge.  The UFO will fit safely under a 19 foot bridge clearance.  The boat is easy to paddle but there's not much space to store a paddle on the boat.  I think the community knowledge on paddling is to paddle like a surfboard by putting your chest out on one of the bows and arm paddling.  I have found that I can steer the boat with one of my feet on the tiller.  I hope that helps and keep asking questions and watching videos to climb the learning curve.  We're all here to help each other! 

Thanks Derek!  Will do.  Figuring out the logistics first. Based on what Martin 'hoff said, I think I can keep my mast assembled and just take it down for transport. Should be less rigging time than the laser. 

• Like 1

Its nearly impossible to raise the sail on the boat. Unfortunately, I wish I knew that when purchasing. I bought the boat to tow behind our monohull and foil all weekend while on our mooring. Couldn't do that. My next bet was to trailer the boat because I am 1.5 miles from the water but no place locally to keep the boat rigged on a beach. So I had to completely rig the boat when I arrived at the beach. Foils, rig, everything. It takes some time to get the boat from complete disassemble on a trailer to fully rigged and ready to launch. So being a busy dad I never literally had hours to go sail by myself and remain married. It didn't make sense to drive to the water take 40 minutes to get in the water sail for an hour and take 40 minutes to derig and go home. Yeah, "they" say it can be launched in 20 minutes. That's never the case. Don't get me wrong its a SUPER fun boat to foil just not practical enough for us trailer sailors. The boat is really meant for people who can keep it at their local club or waterfront backyard fully rigged and ready to go at a moments notice. Therefore I sold the boat and just ordered a wing and foilboard. NOW THAT'S the definition of an easily transportable foiling package and be in the water in 10 minutes which works for me. WINGFOILING! Still Dave and the team created a great little foiler. One day when Im rich and have a waterfront home Ill purchase another.

7 hours ago, Todd P said:

Its nearly impossible to raise the sail on the boat. 

I've done it a good number of times, but I'm also known for acrobatics. The soft shackle on the outhaul is massively difficult from that angle. A snap-shackle would help a lot. Ledge, another solid option is the rig it, tip it over on its side and tow it under from the mast tip. Did this several times in Annapolis to get under the spa-creek bridge. Rig up at the pubic access ramp down the creek, launch and motor down the creek alongside and capsize into the rib as you pass under the bridge. 

So amped to vicariously be following the Miami event from the shop in the frozen north. I reek of styrene, itch from head to toe and have developed profound mask-acne (suuuper hot). I miss sand, salt and sunburns.

DRC

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Dave Clark said:
11 hours ago, Todd P said:

Its nearly impossible to raise the sail on the boat. 

I've done it a good number of times, but I'm also known for acrobatics. The soft shackle on the outhaul is massively difficult from that angle.

I've also done it a few times. I've towed the UFO behind a nice proper yacht for about a week, sailing it here and there.

The UFO was tied – so, not drifting. For the hoist, I'd basically be swimming in the water port-aft of the UFO, as if was trapezing on a cat. Same to uncleat the halyard – swimming/"trapezing", but port-bow.

For the outhaul soft shackle, I've solved it with a very cheap trick. With a trucker's hitch and figure-eights' I made a low-brow soft shackle that is very "long" but has several stopper knots (but none of them at the very end of the tail). The knot that is the closest to the trucker's hitch is the one that I end up using. As it has a very long tail, it's easy to get the tail through the loop, and start pulling through, get one stopper knot through, then the other... 

Because it's "long", and it doesn't have a knot at the very end, you don't need to be too far aft (or fiddle for too long) to get it "tied". Simplifies things significantly, even on land.

This very long tail wants to tangle everywhere, the mainsheet block in particular. So tie it off at the metal bridge.

We have a perfect weather window for our little Miami get together. Light-ish on Friday, perfect 12-14kt Sat-Sunday. Barry is already in town, Kelly and Shelley arriving tomorrow morning/midday. @Dave Clark - we'll miss having you and Kirk!

image.png.fa788dc3d2cac0585386ecd2da5c31f0.png

• Like 1
12 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

I've also done it a few times. I've towed the UFO behind a nice proper yacht for about a week, sailing it here and there.

The UFO was tied – so, not drifting. For the hoist, I'd basically be swimming in the water port-aft of the UFO, as if was trapezing on a cat. Same to uncleat the halyard – swimming/"trapezing", but port-bow.

For the outhaul soft shackle, I've solved it with a very cheap trick. With a trucker's hitch and figure-eights' I made a low-brow soft shackle that is very "long" but has several stopper knots (but none of them at the very end of the tail). The knot that is the closest to the trucker's hitch is the one that I end up using. As it has a very long tail, it's easy to get the tail through the loop, and start pulling through, get one stopper knot through, then the other... 

Because it's "long", and it doesn't have a knot at the very end, you don't need to be too far aft (or fiddle for too long) to get it "tied". Simplifies things significantly, even on land.

This very long tail wants to tangle everywhere, the mainsheet block in particular. So tie it off at the metal bridge.

We have a perfect weather window for our little Miami get together. Light-ish on Friday, perfect 12-14kt Sat-Sunday. Barry is already in town, Kelly and Shelley arriving tomorrow morning/midday. @Dave Clark - we'll miss having you and Kirk!

image.png.fa788dc3d2cac0585386ecd2da5c31f0.png

I will be there with you guys in spirit!  Have a great weekend and take some pictures. I'm looking forward to lighter travel restrictions and more fun later in 2021 or 2022.

I got out yesterday for the first time in six weeks in 12-15 knots of breeze and had a blast.  The six week hiatus was due to my wife and I having a new baby in late Jan.  @Dave Clark how is the stock on UFO / Fulcrum branded baby onsies?  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DerekF said:

@Dave Clark how is the stock on UFO / Fulcrum branded baby onsies?  

While sizes Medium and Large are all tapped out from our UFO t-shirt supply, I think we have a couple child's small ones still in the bottom of the barrel. The fact that I didn't think to put one on the dog until this instant is tearing me apart.

DRC

• Like 2

Quick report

We just wrapped up. Things didn't go to exactly to plan, but it was a grand time. Barry, Kelly and Shelly are on their way home. I'm home unpacking, getting sand off things... 

A couple of hours ago, when we here mostly done with de-rigging the out of town UFOs I sat down for a moment realized – here we are, old friends, new friends and I, achy and tired from having sailed 3 days, tearing down our boats yet wishing we could have done one more flight, one more tack, one more hour in the sweet breeze. This is the best time – by far! – I've had in this strange long year.

We recruited a few locals for support. On a J-28 and a new UFO owner (his new craft is in shipment) on a small powerboat. So we had great support on the water.

- Friday - Folks arrived between 10 and 11am, we all worked together and rigged quickly. Lunch took longer than rigging :-) After lunch breeze was a tad too light. A few bunny hops but not solid flight. My son was tooling around on a Weta which just shines in the light breeze. Some shenanigans in rescuing the J-28 owner who had sailed away on a UFO and couldn't return, and I couldn't start his fancy electric dinghy motor to go rescue him.

- Saturday - solid breeze, we had 4 UFOs on the water, + Weta + Nacra 15 FCS + the support boats.Kelly and I and the N15 went to the beach side, getting under the bridge into a messy chop. Once near the beach we had a wind funnel over flattish water. Much fun. Kelly and I ran some speed reaches for fun. I swapped out to the Nacra, a Miami acat sailor took the UFO and had his first flights – I had a blast with my son on the Nacra. After a bit, returned to the North area, where Shelly and the support J-28 were playing. Lunch break on the J28 followed by 2 more hours of fun. Alessandro hopped on Shelley's UFO and got flying short stretches pretty well.

Saturday dinner at Whiskey Joe's – outside great view, great chatter and we didnt mind at all the 1hr delay in bringing the food, so good was the chat.

- Sunday - same wind conditions as Sat, but we all stayed in the North side of the bridge, with the J-28 as support. With a bit of magic hat help, Shelley unlocked the foiling magic and moved from not-foiling to foiling and crashing in fun ways. This is always the most tiring part of it, but those flights are exhilarating. Later Alessandro borrowed her boat and also got into flying gradually longer hops. Then we called it a day, and sailed back to shore, where my family was waiting with sandwiches and refreshments. 

Lots more things happened. Among them, I discovered my UFO #4 had developed, after many groundings, a sizable crack on the underside of the rudder gantry. Like a big smile. I drained probably 10 gallons of water every day.

We never actually raced any races. Know what? Didn't matter at all.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, martin 'hoff said:

Quick report

We just wrapped up. Things didn't go to exactly to plan, but it was a grand time. Barry, Kelly and Shelly are on their way home. I'm home unpacking, getting sand off things... 

A couple of hours ago, when we here mostly done with de-rigging the out of town UFOs I sat down for a moment realized – here we are, old friends, new friends and I, achy and tired from having sailed 3 days, tearing down our boats yet wishing we could have done one more flight, one more tack, one more hour in the sweet breeze. This is the best time – by far! – I've had in this strange long year.

We recruited a few locals for support. On a J-28 and a new UFO owner (his new craft is in shipment) on a small powerboat. So we had great support on the water.

It’s a J/34c. Harumph.

Good to meet everyone and getting the chance to try out the UFO.

-Hugh

• Like 2
On 3/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, martin 'hoff said:

I know that @Kelly Federal also has amazing footage...

Sorry for the delay...a bit tedious sorting through all the footage and editing on a phone.  The soundtrack wasn’t my choice — my retro wife insisted on it.

After Miami, got back to Savannah and applied some of the lessons learned down there...

• Like 3

Folks, going to be getting UFO in another month or so. Sailing on Lake Champlain, when it warms up a bit. Can somebody point me a description how to mount GoPro to the boat. See some awesome videos, but in the beginning I just want to learn from my mistakes. Thank you

Dave

On 4/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, DaveVt said:

Folks, going to be getting UFO in another month or so. Sailing on Lake Champlain, when it warms up a bit. Can somebody point me a description how to mount GoPro to the boat. See some awesome videos, but in the beginning I just want to learn from my mistakes. Thank you

Dave

Hi, Dave.

The sprit is the obvious location, although there are plenty of creative places you can mount.  Your type of camera and FOV will determine how far out on the sprit you need to go, or whether you may even need to add an extension and go beyond the sprit.  I didn't really do much research before I bought the GoPro Max 360, but it was a lucky decision because it has been a terrific companion on my UFO journey.  The FOV is so wide, that you don't have to mount it on the end of the sprit (as I used to do), allowing you to manually turn it on/of without getting in the water -- useful if you're trying to preserve battery life or cut down on dead footage.

The sides of the sprit are wide enough to accommodate a standard GoPro quick mount with the 3M backing.  They're good...but I've broken two of them now in some nose dive events which you inevitably will do.  The adhesive and the mount remained solidly on the sprit, but the lateral pressures broke one of the rails on each of the mounts rendering them useless.  (Note: you MUST attach a safety lanyard to your camera.)

I'm on sprit #2 thanks to a run-in with a manatee; and since I was hesitant to stick another GoPro mount on a shiny new sprit (which would eventually break leaving a carcass of a mount on the sprit), I built a dual-sided, removable GoPro mount which clips anywhere on the sprit you want it.  Since it's hand-built there's no satisfying "clip" when the camera is fully seated in the mount, but it has never budged during any of my sessions since I've started using it (see 17-knot footage above).  You can see in the photo how I've beefed up the side rails.

I've also built a rudder-stop/GoPro mount for a rear point of view, but I haven't tried it in flight yet.  Mostly I'm afraid the main sheet will snag on the camera and rip it off (see note about safety lanyard), and I'm still just testing the efficacy of the rudder hold-down function.  (So far, it's terrific -- no jumpies whatsoever.)  Since it's within reach, I suppose you could slide the camera into the quick mount for a run then retrieve it before tacking/gybing onto your next run.

If you're interested in either of these or have more questions, send me a message.  Hope this helps,

Kelly

770515527_2021-02-0510_51_48.jpg

1978716075_2021-01-2916_18_50.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, DaveVt said:

Dave

Dave VT, I just saw this post.  Welcome to the UFO family!  It will be great to have some company again on the lake.   We had two here for a little while, but the other one was sold so its just been me for the past 18 months.   I'm hoping to get my UFO out of the basement and rigged up by the end of the month.   The water will be cold until the end of May, but I'm game for cold water sailing with a dry suit as long as the air temps are warm and the wind is in the 10-15 knot range.  Where on Champlain do you plan to sail?  Doug

Just gotta share the love for this boat...

Went out this evening in a super light breeze -- probably 6kts gusting to 8-9.  Sadly, spent most of the time chasing the puffs.  But thanks to a new shroud tensioner line and a couple extra micro blocks, was able to crank on the tension and get some flight time.  At one point, caught a puff which led to another...ended up chasing down a powerboat with a family aboard.  The son saw me gaining on them and soon the whole family was surprised to see this flying sailboat overtake them.  Lots of smiles on both sides...

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

UFO #116 for sale.  Park City, UT.  $7000 or best offer.  Some of the repairs/upgrades done but not all.  Comes with the Dynamic dolly handle that makes moving it around much easier.  Boat is in great shape, no issues.  Currently stored indoors.  Might be able to get it to SoCal, or the Portland area, for close to free.

Message me.  Or respond to the ad in the dinghy section.

• 2 weeks later...

UFO for sale in San Diego California.

Purchased new in March 2020. I had a great year of foiling. Selling because I just semietired and have the extra time to take on a moth.

$5500 or best offer 

Minor repairs were performed. Boat otherwise in great condition.

Comes with covers.

Youtube of me foiling:  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some quick notes on mounting gopro cameras... (from an email)

Buy
- a 1 meter long CF tube, 22mm OD (outer diameter) from eBay - something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/132442732707

- go to a hardware store and find PVC plumbing pipe that _just_ fits your CF tube inside - it'll cost couple $$ for a 2 meter length

- aluminium gopro bike mount (every other mount rusts away) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789LSSL1/

- bungee loops w/ball (on Amazon)

- electric tape

Prep
- Cut a 20cm piece with a saw, sand ends clean, mount with gflex on the side of the wand sprit (sand both sprit and PVC to get a coarse surface for better bonding). Put CF tube through PVC, wrap bungees to "press" the CF tube - I typically have one bungee aft of the PVC, one bungee fore of it.

- Cut a 35cm piece w/saw, sand ends clean, use hairdryer to bend about 30 degrees; mount with gflex on the flat part of the rudderhead with the angled bit protruding aft. Sand all parts before bonding, etc. Careful! Don't let any gflex get into the rudder vertical slot.

Use!
Make sure you tie the camera securely - mounts slip, PVC breaks, gflex fails. 

Use e-tape to prevent tube rotation. A wrap to 'jam' it into the PVC-CF join, or over. 

You can see both setups on my videos, if you look closely :-)

FOILING GYBES!?!?

I know there are videos out there that show how to pull of a gybe on foils -- a couple of them on a UFO.  I've watched them all dozens of times and have thrown myself into trying to do it on a UFO.  As you can see in the video below, I'm not anywhere close to getting it right.  If there's anyone out there who can offer up some coaching, I'm all ears.  In fact, I'd love to have a phone call to chat through the process, because, again, I'm not close to doing it after soaking up any info I can get from videos.

In better news, I hit a personal best of 19 knots last week...

• Like 1

@Kelly Federal is rocking it! I think @Champlain Sailor can gybe it. @David Clark definitely can. 

I can't, but I think you first want to play with the "steer for balance" downwind technique, where you bring body weight inboard quite a bit and steer an S course, alternating leeward and windward heel. Once you have the feel for that, you do it on your knees, go deeper and complete the gybe. I don't know how you get yourself back to settled w feet under the straps on the new side.

My UFO has spent a few weeks in the shed and only got wet again last weekend (but no good videos unfortunately). Has a few new parts, working to adjust all the bits :)

• Like 2

Martin has described it exactly right.   You want to be sailing on a broad reach in control.   I think 12 knots of wind is ideal, you have enough power that you are easily on the foils, but not so much that it is difficult to control.   Once you are on a broad reach (approx 135 true) and flat, bear away a bit to maybe 150 degrees true.   this will reduced the need to hike and allow you to come into the boat on your knees.   Focus on steering smoothly and keeping the boat fairly flat.  

When practicing make a few small tiller adjustments from this position to see how the boat feels, head up you'll heal to leeward, bear away you'll heel to windward.   The key is to get the feel of managing heal angle and steering position while kneeling.   

Once you feel stable and are foiling smoothly like this, move to the center of the boat, and let it heal to leeward a bit.   Then steer smoothly into the gybe, and hold the tiller over until you are almost at a beam reach.  As you cross the centerline, if you can, use your sheet hand to push the sail across the boat (this is usually where things go sideways for me), and put your bum on the new windward rail.   

If you time it right, the sail will fill on the new gybe just as you are sitting on the rail, ideally with your feet in the straps ready to hike if necessary, but I've found the few times that I've made it work that I have needed to hike, I simply bear away back to a broad reach while on the rail.  

I must have tried this 100 times and I've succeeded probably 3 of them, so I'm hardly a master.   Once our water is up above 60 degrees, I'll be back out trying more myself.   The boat is outside and ready to go.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Any UFO sailors in Toronto? I'm going to be moving there next month and dragging my boat with me. There's a handful of sailing clubs there and I'd love to join one that another UFO sailor is a part of. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, aeiro said:

Any UFO sailors in Toronto? I'm going to be moving there next month and dragging my boat with me. There's a handful of sailing clubs there and I'd love to join one that another UFO sailor is a part of. 

hit up grand formmage or just encounter him and the other UFO foilers in that gang out on the harbor. They're getting it really dialled in. 

DRC

On 6/6/2021 at 9:54 AM, Dave Clark said:

hit up grand formmage or just encounter him and the other UFO foilers in that gang out on the harbor. They're getting it really dialled in. 

DRC

Dave,

I still need to get the upgrade kit for #116.  It's been over a year that I've been waiting.  

I'll consider the smaller sail too but first you guys need to ship the upgrade kit.  I emailed Kirk about it again the other day but no reply.  PM me for the shipping address.  

We're trying to do foiling fridays with our junior program on my UFO and it would be nice to know that all of the upgrades are done.

Are there any good tricks to re-calibrate the wand sprit bell-crank system to factory?

My new wand sprit has been detuned by a playful prankster. Those in the know will know :-) -- and laugh at me -- ... I'd rather stop doing trial-and-error attempts.

I know the ''target" which is the push-down rod almost touching the flap in the "at rest" condition of the system. But it takes me multiple disassemblies, twists/turns/reassemblies.

Another reason I love this boat:

Saw some weather moving in -- typical low country summer weather with afternoon squalls -- but radar and satellite imagery showed a window around my neck of the river.  Within 20 minutes I had the boat rigged and rolling down the ramp toward the water.  Got a solid 90 minutes of foiling...exploring those areas that still challenge me.  Then back to the dock, hasty take-down/wash-down, throwing a rolled-up sail into the back of my car before the first rain drops hit the ground.  I used to shy away from puffy/gusty conditions.  No doubt: it's harder to foil.  But this boat is so forgiving that even in those conditions I had a blast.  Thank you Fulcrum Speedworks!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Kelly Federal said:

Another reason I love this boat:

Saw some weather moving in -- typical low country summer weather with afternoon squalls -- but radar and satellite imagery showed a window around my neck of the river.  Within 20 minutes I had the boat rigged and rolling down the ramp toward the water.  Got a solid 90 minutes of foiling...exploring those areas that still challenge me.  Then back to the dock, hasty take-down/wash-down, throwing a rolled-up sail into the back of my car before the first rain drops hit the ground.  I used to shy away from puffy/gusty conditions.  No doubt: it's harder to foil.  But this boat is so forgiving that even in those conditions I had a blast.  Thank you Fulcrum Speedworks!

@Kelly Federalrocks. His channel has even more videos than what he's posting here (hint: subscribe!). I'm a bit tied up these days with work and family, so living the life vicariously through his vids.

• Like 1