Tattoo 26- WTF???

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

...    ...    ...

By the way, I've had a MacGregor 26X for eight years now and I like it.

Great!

There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

If you have a boat that you really like, that makes it even better.

FB- Doug

10 hours ago, Mulligan said:

I had a Porsche 914.  The windshield washer was powered by the pressure from the spare tire.  Windshield was clean, but the tire was flat!

That's how my Volkswagen Beetles worked.   Further proof that the 914 was a Volkswagen.  :D

On 9/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, J28 said:

Don't understand the hate for the Mac 26. Her lines are reminiscent of some modern luxury superyachts, inboard tracks for both jib and genny, bridgedeck mounted traveler, small offshore size, self-draining cockpit and provision for sufficient OB power for those light wind days. Maybe you need a brody knob when you have that high a HP/weight ratio.

You can't see power to carry sail, i.e. stability,  with the naked eye.

2 hours ago, spankoka said:

A Mac 26 is entered in the R2AK. What will people say if she actually even finishes?

Looks like an S or a D, they seem to sail okay.  I can see being able to flush 1200 pounds of ballast being handy when running the paddle wheel.

Heck of a lot more comfortable than an inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board :D

20190602_174444.jpg

7 minutes ago, TBW said:

Looks like an S or a D, they seem to sail okay.  I can see being able to flush 1200 pounds of ballast being handy when running the paddle wheel.

Heck of a lot more comfortable than an inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board :D

20190602_174444.jpg

4th mode Frank Mighetto style...

The thing of it is, European lake sailors have been working with light air well for a long time.  I'm not convinced that pulling out oars as soon as the breeze dies is the way to go to Alaska. 

8 hours ago, spankoka said:

The thing of it is, European lake sailors have been working with light air well for a long time.  I'm not convinced that pulling out oars as soon as the breeze dies is the way to go to Alaska. 

I think Europeans use extensive use of oars/paddles/human power on their Raid style races. 

R2AK, is a bit funny because there is no size filter, but other races of its type I think it's pretty much assumed that you row when the wind dies.

Image below off the interweb of Sail Caledonia Raid in Scotland.

20190603_080257.jpg

On 6/1/2019 at 9:03 AM, Steam Flyer said:
On 5/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, J.R. said:

...    ...    ...

By the way, I've had a MacGregor 26X for eight years now and I like it.

Great!

There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

If you have a boat that you really like, that makes it even better.

FB- Doug

Also deserves a hat tip for daring to mention it here.

well, sailing 26S on Georgian Bay for last 10 years (## of  years of sailing before on different sailboats) and it proved itself as decent recreational vessel, 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog, last 5y mostly me and the dog.  Sailing it till end of Oct and up to 35kn doing 1.5 hull speed surfing down 2m waves :) . Well balanced and with right trim can go for hrs up-wind just under poor-sailor-autopilot (piece of rope and bungee cord). Highly recommend to those who don't have low esteem issues ;) 

But I'm looking now for something different that won't require too much gymnastics to get to the bunk and would let me stretch vertically without bruising my head, plus my bitch had a stroke and I need a tender to get her to shore.

dog&boat.jpg

Cruising with dogs is a challenge all it's own

post-30927-0-77635100-1365523885_thumb.jpg

post-30927-0-21411600-1366548504_thumb.jpg

Chesapeake Bay Retriever, 80 lbs of water-loving furry energy.... fortunately this guy never got in the habit of sleeping with us

post-30927-0-45287500-1461328773_thumb.jpg

This guy, a rescue mutt from the pound, was a good swimmer but did not consider in or under water to be his natural element; he cruised with us on the above 19-footer early in his career but then was given a cushy berth on a 36' trawler. I built the above dinghy partly as an exercise in design & build a specialized unique boat, and also for the utility of taking His Highness ashore.

A beachable boat with an open transom is about the greatest thing you can have, if you want to cruise with a dog.

FB- Doug

Archived