• 1 month later...
  • Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fiberglass repairs are actually easy. You just need someone with a bit more experience to show you and get your hands sticky the first time. Or Russell Brown's book because he is very good at explaini

No, it's you dude.  Bad attitude.  Dumb questions are fine but belligerent ignorance is unacceptable.  Stop pissing in the pool.

Look guys and gals, Gunboat aren't involved in the "soma project" so really can't comment - there's a thread for that if you feel like it - what I can do is stick to the thread and update you all on t

Posted Images

Been some activity on the Gunboat site, cool story and vid of 6803 and some nice drone footage of 6801. Have seen some "stories" of 6804 on Instagram now it's out of the paint shed. The colour combo looks amazing.  

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
Announcing the arrival of the Highland Fling program to the Gunboat fleet! Gunboat 6801 recently changed hands and emerged from our factory this week reflecting a range of performance modifications for inshore racing, most noticeably, dual exterior helm stations! The inside helm remains for all the same conveniences on deliveries and can be disconnected for aft/exterior steering. She has shed about a ton of weight with the removal of cruising gear and appliances they don’t intend to use, and with super smooth teflon antifouling she's ready to be the first of the VPLP Gunboats with an active racing campaign!
Above all, beyond our fascination with the technical details, it is a great honor to be the first catamaran selected by the owner to be part of this lineage of performance sailing - Introducing HIGHLAND FLING 17!
Helm stations designed by Chedal Anglay design and built by Fibre Mechanics Ltd. Featuring two additional 12-inch B&G Nemesis screens and a new suit of North Sails. Brokerage and refit services by Gunboat.
Photos and more - https://bit.ly/33A18S9

This is from Facebook

So what happened to the superiority (and exposure) of the forward helm station? 

What is that "super smooth teflon antifouling" they are talking about?

16 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

This is from Facebook

The cheapest performance upgrade on a Gunboat is outside helms. That’s why almost every GB that seriously races has the. Extreme H20 and Elvis spearheaded the idea. Extreme said they saw a 2-3% performance improvement on the polar performance % when the driver was outside. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, soma said:

The cheapest performance upgrade on a Gunboat is outside helms. That’s why almost every GB that seriously races has the. Extreme H20 and Elvis spearheaded the idea. Extreme said they saw a 2-3% performance improvement on the polar performance % when the driver was outside. 

Interesting using wheels rather than the tiller arrangement, was that found to be a bit too unwieldy? Incidentally it looks a bit like they have played with the rudders? Did they fiddle with the boards too, I think there was an option for J foils. 

Cheers. 

9 hours ago, EarthBM said:

This is from Facebook

Ha, I had my popcorn out waiting for these comments :P

A reminder that the inside helm / forward cockpit mix is a concept designed to facilitate short handed cruising. Gunboats (most actually) have raced like that but it is obvious that being aft and open to the breeze it better for ultimate performance racing, hence all the tiller upgrades over the years. 

This owner is used to monohull class racing, holding on to a carbon wheel at the back of the bus, so think of this as a bit more complex solution to the tiller problem! 

Honestly it felt great, very light, with a curved back support I felt very locked in and with 2 big screens on the rig it works well. The inside helm stays (disconnected when racing), the forward cockpit is still there so comms management will be important for this crew. 

Changing tack slightly, on our 80 concept we've designed it with inside or outside helms, since on a boat that size you probably end up with an extra crew and a little more automation so aft helms start to make more sense (With a fwd pit still). That being said there has been a Gunboat 90 sailing around quite happily with inside helm/fwd pit arrangement for years.

I don't think (new)Gunboat is against aft helms, the goal is always to comfortably manage a very high performance cruiser(racer) catamaran with the available hands on deck. And then at a certain point it really becomes about personal preference. Can't please everyone  ;)

image.thumb.png.4e5d0903f38eb589ee1c6f1f54b175e3.png

• Like 4
8 hours ago, drakeborer said:

Hmmm, would love see how the new Highland Fling stacks up against the turboed HH 66 Nemo

That would be interesting with the 1T weight loss, outside helms, and full experienced crews...

• Like 1
On 5/12/2021 at 2:56 AM, Greenflash said:

Ha, I had my popcorn out waiting for these comments :P

A reminder that the inside helm / forward cockpit mix is a concept designed to facilitate short handed cruising. Gunboats (most actually) have raced like that but it is obvious that being aft and open to the breeze it better for ultimate performance racing, hence all the tiller upgrades over the years. 

This owner is used to monohull class racing, holding on to a carbon wheel at the back of the bus, so think of this as a bit more complex solution to the tiller problem! 

Honestly it felt great, very light, with a curved back support I felt very locked in and with 2 big screens on the rig it works well. The inside helm stays (disconnected when racing), the forward cockpit is still there so comms management will be important for this crew. 

Changing tack slightly, on our 80 concept we've designed it with inside or outside helms, since on a boat that size you probably end up with an extra crew and a little more automation so aft helms start to make more sense (With a fwd pit still). That being said there has been a Gunboat 90 sailing around quite happily with inside helm/fwd pit arrangement for years.

I don't think (new)Gunboat is against aft helms, the goal is always to comfortably manage a very high performance cruiser(racer) catamaran with the available hands on deck. And then at a certain point it really becomes about personal preference. Can't please everyone  ;)

image.thumb.png.4e5d0903f38eb589ee1c6f1f54b175e3.png

Will never understand the love of the wheel.  Too many connections and failure points and besides one ends up with a loss of feel.  Give me a tiller directly connected to the rudder post(s) any day.  Is the steering here hydraulic or...?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
18 hours ago, Wess said:

Will never understand the love of the wheel.  Too many connections and failure points and besides one ends up with a loss of feel.  Give me a tiller directly connected to the rudder post(s) any day.  Is the steering here hydraulic or...?

Size, speed and forces they generate might have something to do with it. At least when talking about 68 foot 20 ton boat.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, Wess said:

The owner is 78yo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine_Laidlaw,_Baron_Laidlaw

On 5/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, Wess said:

Steering is all mechanically connected, carbon tube, gearbox and/or cable.  Real feedback.

Tiller setup is super cool, the seat is so comfy it mostly gets used as a chill out spot. Tiller makes the big boat feel like a friggin beach cat, so "connected". 

• Like 3
On 5/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, Greenflash said:

Steering is all mechanically connected, carbon tube, gearbox and/or cable.  Real feedback.

Tiller setup is super cool, the seat is so comfy it mostly gets used as a chill out spot. Tiller makes the big boat feel like a friggin beach cat, so "connected". 

Nice!  Turns out I am more a tri guy than a cat but seems like a cool boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, now where can we find some video clips...:)

Pretty sure it's the same course, not 100% though.

On day 1 Allegra were up to 27 knots in the flat water.

Fling have removed a lot of 'cruising' weight from the boat, it's very much regatta focussed in it's new ownership.

I think having the 68s and Allegra etc finally line-up alongside the big super-maxis and superyachts, rather than being sidelined to their independent regattas, could drive more owners over the mutlis. A lot of the owners that have driven the maxi and performance superyacht fleets for the past 15 or so years are now old enough to be struggling with mobility on the monohulls when racing. Seeing the multis blast pass them whilst staying far more level might get a few of them thinking about a change of scenery.

• Like 4
On 6/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, soma said:

That Gunboat 68 sure is photogenic in that video. 

Agreed, I personally find it's the nicest looking of the all the big cats I've seen by a long shot.

The 68 does look amazing, there's no denying it.

My only question is why 6801 changed hands so soon but maybe that happens more often than I know.

Maybe the former owners of 6801 are the ones who ordered the new 80? Speculating is fun!

It must be galling paying big money racing a mono and getting beaten by a relatively more cheap option. it would be interesting tho to see how much weight was taken out of 6801. I really like the concept they have though you can take weight out to race then put it back in. 

As for why 6801 changed hands, I vaguely remember seeing/reading something about the owner getting a really good deal, so maybe they were made an offer they couldn't refuse, but that is a huge guess on my part. Lets face it the owners of these things in business are about making money, so everything is up for sale at the right price. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, vokstar said:

It must be galling paying big money racing a mono and getting beaten by a relatively more cheap option. it would be interesting tho to see how much weight was taken out of 6801. I really like the concept they have though you can take weight out to race then put it back in. 

As for why 6801 changed hands, I vaguely remember seeing/reading something about the owner getting a really good deal, so maybe they were made an offer they couldn't refuse, but that is a huge guess on my part. Lets face it the owners of these things in business are about making money, so everything is up for sale at the right price. 

The original buyers got a smoking deal. About 1/2 off today’s new boat cost. They sold their GB debt to Grand Large so GL could debt bid for the bankruptcy purchase.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, soma said:

The original buyers got a smoking deal. About 1/2 off today’s new boat cost. They sold their GB debt to Grand Large so GL could debt bid for the bankruptcy purchase.

Ahhh.. so someone overstretched initially even then and had to be bailed out? Not pointing fingers at anyone either that seems to happen here. Just glad to see 6801 doing well.. though do dread the; if they, they shoulda, if I hadda, I woulda... thing... 

1 hour ago, vokstar said:

Ahhh.. so someone overstretched initially even then and had to be bailed out? Not pointing fingers at anyone either that seems to happen here. Just glad to see 6801 doing well.. though do dread the; if they, they shoulda, if I hadda, I woulda... thing... 

If you are referring to Peter Johnstone, yes he overstretched...if you are referring to those involved in 6801...I don't think you are reading Soma's post correctly (or at least not the same way I did)

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

If you are referring to Peter Johnstone, yes he overstretched...if you are referring to those involved in 6801...I don't think you are reading Soma's post correctly (or at least not the same way I did)

The buyers of 6801 and 02 were originally buyers of GBs when Gunboat was in NC (pre-bankruptcy, PJ era). They were left with no boat, just an iou. There was +/-$25M in total debt held by various creditors (200+ creditors). Some of the creditors “sold” their debt to GLY. I think GLY “bought” about $10m in debt. I put that in quotes because the debt was sold for discounts on a future GB purchase, not cash. When GLY went to the bankruptcy auction they used their $10m in debt and $900k(?) in cash. The judge awarded them the remains of GB. HH bid a clean $1m(?) but didn’t have debt to bid with. In the end, creditors who took their chances in bankruptcy court got about $0.10 on the $1. Some of those that sold their debt to GLY never redeemed their “gift cards” and got nothing in return for their debt. That bankruptcy court outcome was as good as it was because $10m in debt was taken off the table by the debt purchase by GLY. I think the guys that redeemed their gift cards got great value, and those that didn’t cash in their GB credit probably don’t stay up at night worrying about lost opportunities. 

At least that’s what I remember. Some numbers may be off but I was in the middle of the whole GB/HH/GLY relationships so my info is first hand. 

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, soma said:

The buyers of 6801 and 02 were originally buyers of GBs when Gunboat was in NC (pre-bankruptcy, PJ era). They were left with no boat, just an iou. There was +/-$25M in total debt held by various creditors (200+ creditors). Some of the creditors “sold” their debt to GLY. I think GLY “bought” about $10m in debt. I put that in quotes because the debt was sold for discounts on a future GB purchase, not cash. When GLY went to the bankruptcy auction they used their $10m in debt and $900k(?) in cash. The judge awarded them the remains of GB. HH bid a clean $1m(?) but didn’t have debt to bid with. In the end, creditors who took their chances in bankruptcy court got about $0.10 on the $1. Some of those that sold their debt to GLY never redeemed their “gift cards” and got nothing in return for their debt. That bankruptcy court outcome was as good as it was because $10m in debt was taken off the table by the debt purchase by GLY. I think the guys that redeemed their gift cards got great value, and those that didn’t cash in their GB credit probably don’t stay up at night worrying about lost opportunities. 

At least that’s what I remember. Some numbers may be off but I was in the middle of the whole GB/HH/GLY relationships so my info is first hand. 

What an absolutely painful period for a lot of people...

22 minutes ago, drakeborer said:

What an absolutely painful period for a lot of people...

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t mean to imply $0.10 on the dollar was good...just that $0.10 exceeded most people’s expectations for what was going to come of the auction. If it was my $1 that I got $0.10 for I’d not be feeling very happy. I didn’t mean to minimize anyone’s loss. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, soma said:

Ahhh yeah totally forgot about the bankruptcy, Cheers for the answer.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 2:56 AM, Greenflash said:

A reminder that the inside helm / forward cockpit mix is a concept designed to facilitate short handed cruising.

Chris White doesn't get the credit he should for having developed this concept on his Atlantic series.....It really is great for short handed cruising! It's incredibly safe, and only occasionally incredibly wet - which is when you step back into the pilot house. Anchoring and mooring is really simplified too. One aspect that GB sacrificed was the ability to lounge up forward - it's a really valuable extra outside seating area on our Atlantic 57. Comfortable in the tropical afternoons on anchor when it's too hot aft even with a drop screen. And you are outdoors for "feel", though I would never claim my cable, sheave, and quadrant two-wheel system has much feel to speak of. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, CapDave said:

Chris White doesn't get the credit he should for having developed this concept on his Atlantic series.....It really is great for short handed cruising! It's incredibly safe, and only occasionally incredibly wet - which is when you step back into the pilot house. Anchoring and mooring is really simplified too. One aspect that GB sacrificed was the ability to lounge up forward - it's a really valuable extra outside seating area on our Atlantic 57. Comfortable in the tropical afternoons on anchor when it's too hot aft even with a drop screen. And you are outdoors for "feel", though I would never claim my cable, sheave, and quadrant two-wheel system has much feel to speak of. 

Yes did a few deliveries of CW Atlantics an the forward cockpit was great.

10 hours ago, CapDave said:

One aspect that GB sacrificed was the ability to lounge up forward - it's a really valuable extra outside seating area on our Atlantic 57. Comfortable in the tropical afternoons on anchor when it's too hot aft even with a drop screen. And you are outdoors for "feel", though I would never claim my cable, sheave, and quadrant two-wheel system has much feel to speak of. 

100% agree. It's our go to spot.

I find the steering fine if the quadrants and sheaves are setup correctly. Next boat has pre-stretched dyneema for cable.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:39 PM, soma said:

That Gunboat 68 sure is photogenic in that video. 

Looks like breeze on. 

image.jpeg.4efc115fed03a03d7c0a67d8f15c14f0.jpeg

I agree that it's the sexiest looking boat out there at the moment.

That's on the ragged edge right there for a cruising boat. 

Which way was out again, down, up, let out, crikey that hull flying is better suited for tris :D

On 6/18/2021 at 12:30 AM, CapDave said:

but leopard took it to a whole other level, imho

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, unplugged34 said:

I spotted what I believe to be 6802 (Dash) in Northport Bay, sans mast, last night.  Anyone know the story?

Northport is in the Great Lakes?

Sorry,  LIS,  Northport Bay, Northport, NY.  Big Cat.  Great Lines. Blueish Hulls,  "Dash" on the stern. Flying a Jamaican Flag on the back.  No Mast.  Didn't think to grab a snap.

They dropped a hook outside Northport harbor in the eve.  I don't know what happened next. 

22 hours ago, Trovão said:

but leopard took it to a whole other level, imho

Chris has Leopard in his possession. Other than anything that could rust/corrode that boat was in impressive shape.