Russian mega yacht trapped in Baltic Sea

ChristianSch

The Sherlocks shipped the masts from Portsmouth UK to Kiel Germany and now this behemoth doesn't fit under any bridge exiting the Baltic Sea. Alternative routes are too shallow.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3832041/amp/Russian-billionaire-s-megayacht-featuring-masts-tall-Big-Ben-never-able-sail-Baltic-Sea-BIG-shipping-routes.html

More confirmation that money can't buy taste. Holy shit that is one ugly fucking thing.

No, it's a rather beautiful schooner. That's just the boat-shaped box in which they delivered it.

golf clap!

Do you have new information?

On the last check, the boat should be able to pass near Copenhagen. While the bridge over the eastern part is too low, there should be enough water over the tunnel between Saltholm and Sjaeland.

Paul

It would really be nice if the front would fall off. Then the back and then the middle. All, of course, outside of the environment.

It would really be nice if the front would fall off. Then the back and then the middle. All, of course, outside of the environment.

See now that is not smart.

I think it looks great. His prior one did as well and he should give that one to me since he no longer has need for it.

Looks like the top fell off already.

Does the old saying about pets and their owners apply to boats? Because that thing looks like a big douche nozzle.

I hear they contemplated using that name but decided to just shorten it to A. ;)

How deep is the water under the bridge? They could just scuttle the boat, and it would fit right under!

Then leave it on the bottom.

I kind of admire the audacious vision that it took to create that beastie. Also, what better way to say "fuck you" to the plebs?

It didn't take any sort of vision - just lots of laundered money and no taste.

Ah so.....

Bridge height dictated the design! BTW My understanding is that the boat is sail assisted not a sailboat. The sails improve the unrefueled range and endurance at sea. When filled the sails will also act as a steadying sail. Less rockin da boat.

Yes I know who the owner is. But if he wants to pay for this experiment more power to him. From rockets, electric cars and wind powered ships it is those with the money that are making it happen.

Does the old saying about pets and their owners apply to boats? Because that thing looks like a big douche nozzle.

I hear they contemplated using that name but decided to just shorten it to A. ;)

Golf clap!

Looks like TheTimes ran with it but I don't have subscrippy:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-room-for-error-as-largest-yacht-edges-into-high-sea-hdltw6htg

No room for error as largest yacht edges into high sea

The greatest concern for one Russian billionaire is not international sanctions or the conflict in eastern Ukraine. It’s how to get his superyacht home.

Andrei Melnichenko did not skimp on his £365 million Super Yacht A,which is due to be completed at Kiel in northern Germany by early next year with eight decks, a helipad and a submarine garage.

At 142.81 metres long it claims to be the largest “sail-assisted motor yacht” in the world, designed to withstand a category two hurricane under full sail.

The designer Philippe Starck called it “the summit of high technology and poetry”.

Yet…

The designer Philippe Starck called it the summit of high technology and poetry.

Hmm poetry????

I think we need a haiku....

MAMMOUTH FLOATING THING

ONE BIG A HOLE IN WATER

MONEY BUT NO CLASS

I would have called it the pit of low taste and idiocy.

But then I really dig the "submarine garage" thing. It has a certain James-Bond-villain trash quality that I like. Maybe the owner has more humour than we all have thought. I imagine him walking around the bridge wearing a "Blofeld" style uniform, holding a Persian cat, barking commands at his minions with a fake German accent.

Let's hope he makes Mr. Starck pay for that liiitle bridge clearance calculation error the Blofeld way...

Wouldn't it be easier if they just pulled the plug in the bottom of the Baltic and let enough water out to get under the bridge?

no, would be easier to pull the plug on the boat and sinker her. would save a lot of ppl from looking at this fugly thing

Just needs to wait for the Cat 2 hurricane to arrive where he needs it, sheet in hard, put the gunwales under and it should sail elegantly under the bridge ... no?

Who is laughing now?

Exclusive: Sailing Yacht A's delivery route revealed

12 October 2016 by Chris Jefferies

A spokesperson for Andrey Melnichenko, the owner of Sailing Yacht A, has laughed off media reports that the iconic 142 metre yacht is 'trapped' in the Baltic Sea, calling them "ridiculous and ill informed". Sailing Yacht A is due to be delivered in early 2017 and Boat International can now reveal the exact route that the sail-assisted motor yacht will take.

Measuring 142.81 metres LOA, with an air draught of 100 metres and a 'light' draught of 7.5 metres, her delivery voyage will be a technical challenge, but one which the project team has thoroughly thought through.

Sailing Yacht A will take her place as one of the world's largest superyachts when delivered

A spokesperson for the owner told Boat International: “Sailing Yacht A will travel through the Drogden strait where the maximum draught is 8.3 metres. Although she is designed to have a draught of 8 metres fully loaded, she sails in light loading conditions at 7.5 metres.”

Online speculation has suggested that Sailing Yacht A would struggle to pass under the Øresund Bridge, but project director Dirk Kloosterman said there was never any intention of taking this route, calling the idea “ridiculous, ill informed and actually quite laughable”.

"Sailing Yacht A was specifically designed to have a light load draught of 7.5 meters for the very purpose of passing through the Drogden channel, as people will see for themselves in a few months time," he added.

It has also been suggested that passing through the Drogden strait will cause problems with air traffic control at nearby Copenhagen Airport, however this is wide of the mark as well.

All yachts with an air draught in excess of 40 metres must notify the airport 24 hours in advance of passing through the strait to reserve a slot, and once again half an hour beforehand, and of course Sailing Yacht A will be no exception.

Exclusive: Sailing Yacht A's delivery route revealed

12 October 2016 by Chris Jefferies

A spokesperson for Andrey Melnichenko, the owner of Sailing Yacht A, has laughed off media reports that the iconic 142 metre yacht is 'trapped' in the Baltic Sea, calling them "ridiculous and ill informed". Sailing Yacht A is due to be delivered in early 2017 and Boat International can now reveal the exact route that the sail-assisted motor yacht will take.

Measuring 142.81 metres LOA, with an air draught of 100 metres and a 'light' draught of 7.5 metres, her delivery voyage will be a technical challenge, but one which the project team has thoroughly thought through.

Sailing Yacht A will take her place as one of the world's largest superyachts when delivered

A spokesperson for the owner told Boat International: “Sailing Yacht A will travel through the Drogden strait where the maximum draught is 8.3 metres. Although she is designed to have a draught of 8 metres fully loaded, she sails in light loading conditions at 7.5 metres.”

Online speculation has suggested that Sailing Yacht A would struggle to pass under the Øresund Bridge, but project director Dirk Kloosterman said there was never any intention of taking this route, calling the idea “ridiculous, ill informed and actually quite laughable”.

"Sailing Yacht A was specifically designed to have a light load draught of 7.5 meters for the very purpose of passing through the Drogden channel, as people will see for themselves in a few months time," he added.

It has also been suggested that passing through the Drogden strait will cause problems with air traffic control at nearby Copenhagen Airport, however this is wide of the mark as well.

All yachts with an air draught in excess of 40 metres must notify the airport 24 hours in advance of passing through the strait to reserve a slot, and once again half an hour beforehand, and of course Sailing Yacht A will be no exception.

You can't fix UGLY!

I am sure that she is perfectly fine to the eyes of Philip Starck.So if you clone his eyeballs and switch yours and the clones, the problem is sorted!

Damn, they do have a way out of the Baltic it seems. I was hoping the rest of the world's oceans were going to be spared this hideous sight.

Do they still need to drop the masts?

Damn, they do have a way out of the Baltic it seems. I was hoping the rest of the world's oceans were going to be spared this hideous sight.

Do they still need to drop the masts?

No, they'll pass through the strait over the car/train tunnel, close to copenhagen airport..

Need to reserve a slottime due air-draught...

Ed beat me to it...

Ducks and Optis appearance at 3 minutes is the best part of that video.

Gotta wonder if the shitty weather there somehow responsible for the design brief that included the instruction: "Whatever else, this simply HAS to be the biggest eyesore imaginable." ?

The man said it himself!

731d1d7e920bf6a2eb64f95f5252251e.jpg

I think that Phillipe is sort of like the tailor in the 'Emperors New Clothes'! He must be rolling on the ground laughing (all the way to the bank!)

That's what I said - I think he's just fucking with all those tasteless, obscenely rich assholes who hire him with the words "make mine bigger".

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to believe the folks that perfected ballet come up with something like this.

Phillipe Stark reminds me of artists who have perfected a schpiel to explain their "art" and their rich, tasteless patrons then fall all over each other to put these hideous monstrosities in their homes. To bad this Russian doesn't build the world's biggest indoor swimming pool and display his boat there. That way he can really impress his entourage, and the rest of us don't have to see it.

More confirmation that money can't buy taste. Holy shit that is one ugly fucking thing.

No, it's a rather beautiful schooner. That's just the boat-shaped box in which they delivered it.

Well played sir. An effortless six through the covers - timing, grace and power.

• 2 months later...

According to a Norwegian newspaper they could not sail under the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, but instead crossed close to the Danish shore where the traffic is in a tunnel. Rumors say that flight patterns had to be modified for a couple of minutes at Kastrup airport due to the hight of the masts(!)

Boat is in Kristiansand now. Stilll looks ugly in front of snow and an industrial harbour. Hopefully for the owner it will look nicer next to a Caribbean island

BUB

(Picture grabbed from fvn.no)

According to a Norwegian newspaper they could not sail under the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, but instead crossed close to the Danish shore where the traffic is in a tunnel. Rumors say that flight patterns had to be modified for a couple of minutes at Kastrup airport due to the hight of the masts(!)

Boat is in Kristiansand now. Stilll looks ugly in front of snow and an industrial harbour. Hopefully for the owner it will look nicer next to a Caribbean island

(Picture grabbed from fvn.no)

That monstrosity will be an eyesore no matter the background.

• 2 weeks later...

Futuristic yacht arrested in €15.3m claim

Capture-2.jpg?resize=690%2C450

One of the world’s largest yachts has been arrested in Gibraltar over a €15.3m admiralty claim filed by the German shipyard that built it.
The sleek, futuristic Sailing Yacht A attracted wide media attention when it sailed into port on Wednesday morning for what should have been a short refuelling stop.

http://chronicle.gi/2017/02/futuristic-yacht-arrested-in-e15-3m-claim/

like the article said - the dispute is over something like 3% of the total cost of the boat

supposedly they were in discussion over the disputed money anyway...

there may be more to it than that.., but it's a bit early to conclude that the owner isn't paying his bills

i can well imagine that on a 450M euro project.., issues like this can occur - i think usually they would be settled before turning over the keys though

i'm kind of surprised the yard made that move - i have a feeling they won't be building the next A

again.., we really don't know the whole story

i want to see what it looks like sailing

You're "surprised" they put a lien on her for $16M?

It may be pocket change to the bloated plutocrat that owns it but I suspect the yard has a better grip on their scale of values! This is of course an absolutely bog-standard Russian business technique. Agree a price, pay the deposit and mid-way payment and bunk off with the goods before paying the balance.

I'd like to see it on fire. Or sunk. It's an abomination.

Bring back the Flying Hawaiian, that was the Cutty Sark compared to this offence against the ocean.

Perhaps Trump will buy it? It's probably nearly big and ugly enough to carry his ego and all the hot air and flatulence he spouts should drive it along nicely. Then seeing it burn/sunk would be even better! Oh! what a show that would be.

The bill was probably for baby furseal head seat covers and tiger skin carpeting.

I've got nothing against super yachts or their owners but I do despise people who act like assholes.

You're "surprised" they put a lien on her for $16M?

It may be pocket change to the bloated plutocrat that owns it but I suspect the yard has a better grip on their scale of values! This is of course an absolutely bog-standard Russian business technique. Agree a price, pay the deposit and mid-way payment and bunk off with the goods before paying the balance.

I'd like to see it on fire. Or sunk. It's an abomination.

Bring back the Flying Hawaiian, that was the Cutty Sark compared to this offence against the ocean.

Perhaps Trump will buy it? It's probably nearly big and ugly enough to carry his ego and all the hot air and flatulence he spouts should drive it along nicely. Then seeing it burn/sunk would be even better! Oh! what a show that would be.

if the yard thought he still owed money, why did they turn over the keys?

taking delivery of something like this is a pretty involved process with a bunch of lawyers and so on...

all i'm saying is that we don't know the full story

When I see it in pictures, why does it always look like it was Photoshop'd, is it the weird paint job?

That's because no one can believe someone would really build such a fugly boat.

Imagine being a new can of paint and leaving the factory excitedly imagining all the wonderful things in the world that you might be used to beautify.

And you end up smeared onto that.

What a horrible prospect.

Makes me wonder why they bothered with paint. After all, you can't polish a turd.

Imagine being a new can of paint and leaving the factory excitedly imagining all the wonderful things in the world that you might be used to beautify.

And you end up smeared onto that.

What a horrible prospect.

Makes me wonder why they bothered with paint. After all, you can't polish a turd.

At this very moment there are around 15 deckies trying to prove you wrong...

Archived