Have you ever made a wish and got what you wanted, only to find the reality did not match your expectation? Or that it somehow didn’t fulfill you in the way you thought it would?

Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true!

The origin of this saying is Aesop’s Fables, the world’s best known collection of morality tales (circa 260 BC).

Kudos if you recognized the source!

There’s a reason so many lottery winners end up as cautionary tales — as depressed, broke, or worse. It’s because they have a clear idea of what they want, but they don’t consider how their lives will change when they get it.

When we get what we want, we wind up less happy than when we started.

It’s ironic isn’t it?

We often fail to consider the implications of our wishes coming true..!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently spent $6,500 on a young registered Black Angus bull. I put him out with the herd, but he just ate grass and wouldn't even look at a cow. I was beginning to think I had paid more for th

One sunny day in late January 2021, an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue, where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said,

Posted Images

Ahh... wishes can be twisted in many ways to go all wrong.

Woodie could get himself a pair of cougars, and even if the genie got the correct species, they could make him miserable.  Easily.

Booth could get that Mercedes, and then hate having to babysit the thing.

Snaggs could learn how to spell, and that would ruin the space time continuum.  

Wofsey could get the brakes fixed on his Ford/Mazda whatever car, and it gets taco'd by a tree.

The list is endless here on SA...   And it can all end badly.

Best to wish for something nice for someone else.  In a good way.

• Like 2

Cultural differences.

European out of office message: "I'm away sailing for the summer. Email again in September."  

American out of office message: "I left the office for two hours to undergo kidney surgery, but you can reach me on my cell anytime."

• Like 5

When a group of tourists visited a crocodile farm, the owner of the place launched a bold proposal;

- Whoever dares to jump, swim to the coast and survive, I'll give you $ 1 million.

No one dared to move, suddenly, a man jumped into the water and desperately swam to the shore while being chased by all the crocodiles.

With enormous luck came, taking everyone's admiration at the scene, then the owner announced;

- We have a brave winner.

After collecting his reward, the couple returned to the hotel, upon arrival, the manager told him; he was very brave to jump, then the man said;

- I didn't jump, someone pushed me!

His wife smiled...

Moral: ′′ Behind every successful man, there's a woman who pushes him".

• Like 4
On 5/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, P_Wop said:

Cultural differences.

European out of office message: "I'm away sailing for the summer. Email again in September."  

American out of office message: "I left the office for two hours to undergo kidney surgery, but you can reach me on my cell anytime."

And out of the two, guess who is doing it right?

;)

• Like 3
May be an image of 1 person

A sweet grandmother telephoned St. Joseph's Hospital. She timidly asked, "Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?"
The operator said, "I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number of the patient?"
The grandmother in her weak, tremulous voice said, Norma Findlay, Room 302."
The operator replied, "Let me put you on hold while I check with the nurse's station for that room."
After a few minutes, the operator returned to the phone and said,
"I have good news. Her nurse just told me that Norma is doing well. Her
blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back normal and her
Physician, Dr. Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged tomorrow."
The grandmother said, "Thank you. That's wonderful. I was so worried. God bless you for the good News."
The operator replied, "You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?"
The grandmother said, "No, I'm Norma Findlay in Room 302. No one tells me shit."
  • Like 3