Cox's Bay Skimmer bis.

Groucho Marx

Had the Cox's Bay Skimmer (5.5m x 2.25m) returned to me after giving it away a couple of years ago to an enthusiast on Waiheke Island (who now has an historic 24 foot Mulletboat to take all his time in restoration) and who sailed the skimmer back to Auckland with a broken above hounds fore mast, well reefed sails and the hull below floors filled with water; I have totally stripped it out of bourgeois junk (ha, just joking) but have dumped a pile of useless weight. Didn't intend to have yet another boat - but there you are. Going to fit a bow sprit to carry a masthead reacher, also remove the central daggerboard and fit two curved or L stabilizing asymmetric foils that can be alter angled and exiting at the turn in the bilges. So the leeward one will provide lift and the windward one set near vertical handles leeway.

First photograph is of the original skimmer with unstayed masts (the after one's base bent under load so went to conventional setup - second image), third shot of stripped out hull (lifting cockpit floor to deck level, will be concave), repairing forward 6m wingmast.

post-100779-0-13490600-1477860370_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-76198100-1477860424_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-44774300-1477860466_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-71525200-1477860485_thumb.jpg

When launched the Skimmer weighed 125 kgs and I've probably chopped out 20 kgs in the last few days. But the worst part relating to weight was the leaking water ballast tank; a venturi setup which I couldn't seal properly. Stupid mistake on my part. Had to pump out before each sail. The other mistake was the false floor which kept water in many corners and crannies - so that also added to boat's all up weight. And Mickey must have hit bottom with rudder because that was leaking around its case too, In a way the unwanted water ballast was a good thing because the Skimmer carries 21m2 sail area, ballast would have slowed the boat, made it more docile, less dangerous for him sailing solo.

Have been rethinking/procrastinating about the angled, movable foils and water boxes. Maybe I'll just put inverted T foil on the existing board, also on the rudder. But change mind daily. Who knows. Have finished the mast repairs and fitted masthead reacher halyard.

Here's another earlier photograph waiting for the wind. Crew was a French Golden Oldies multihull skipper's daughter named Lolo visiting New Zealand. She loved the boat. Her father owns the original Nick Keig's Three Legs of Mann, a famous Kelsall 37 foot design.

post-100779-0-78967000-1478077879_thumb.jpg

The brutish apparition nearing completion.

Changed mind about the Groucho/Dali mustache foils, not really enough room, also too complex, going to simple, inverted T foils on dagger and rudder instead. That is, unless you free advice experts talk me out of the decision.

post-100779-0-62752200-1479119939_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-43404200-1479119964_thumb.jpg

If you're meaning the two masts lying on top of the rock wall under the pohutukawa "they belong to" the Cox's Bay Skimmer.

However there is a Hunter on a mooring out in the bay with two near equal sized masts too.

Jim Young calls the Skimmer's masts "sketch" - combination of schooner/ketch. Because they are equal in height and therefore not a true schooner ... and not a ketch either. He designed a trimaran called The Bladon Racer (see image) 30-40 years ago with equal sized masts and rigs, hence his sketch name used to clarify ... but I don't think it does so. I've done some research and although the majority of schooners have slightly unequal height masts, there are the occasional ones with equal rigs, but they are rare. Like to hear what you US schooner experts think.

post-100779-0-01972500-1479417939_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you google Boatdesign.net and here you'll find: 11x11 metre trifoiler Groucho Marx (which looks a real mess at the moment), 6x6 metre trifoiler Flash Harry (deceased - but wing mast on Jacques' altered Farrier Shifty), Cox's Bay Skimmer (see early photograph), Sid 8.5 x 8 metre trifoiler and finally Frog 6.5 x7.3 metre trifoiler (unfinished double luff rig with experimental out facing double foils).

I never intended to have 4 boats, your Honour.

post-100779-0-63647700-1480803422_thumb.jpg

Gary:

It's different when you make them yourself.

I call the racks behind the barn the Avenue of Broken Dreams.

4 C Cats, 2 A cats, 8 ICs, 2 Vectors, 1 I14, 3 Delaware Duckers

and some random shit like a Herreshoff Fish Class and a 28' power trimaran.

And we are still building stuff!

I get therapy, but not for that.

SHC

Steve, by comparison you make my small fleet appear as if I'm well balanced and almost sane? Your 8 International Canoes, 4 C's, holy defecation.

Latest shots from yesterday, celebrating mast erection with Mexican corn beer and lemon; Jacques is such a connoisseur?.

post-100779-0-78674800-1480974150_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-09779700-1480974187_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Originally this boat was designed and built for an old friend (my generation are all old farts now) and meant to be a reasonable performer with water ballast to moderate tipsy-ness (we like to drink) and you sat on wide decks with feet in deep cockpit; the rig is a low 6 metres (although sail area is substantial) - anyway my old friend became ill and gave the Skimmer to me and later I gave it away to a Waiheke Island friend who, as mentioned in first post, returned it damaged.

So there have been changes (as mentioned) and I'm mounting hiking foot straps at the curve of the shallow cockpit (and/or maybe one trapeze). Cheers.

post-100779-0-31517900-1482896876_thumb.jpg

No. But maybe will set up in the now opened water ballast tank area for water containers to be strapped in - but probably won't. The ballast in the past, definitely calmed/slowed the boat down. You can see the open tank area in this early construction photograph, just around the main mast base position

post-100779-0-80586400-1482909720_thumb.jpg

True, but Steinlager 11 was a ketch and of heavy displacement, Skimmer is a sketch (schooner/ketch, equal sized mains/masts) and as light construction/displacement as I could build; some who have been aboard say, too bloody light.

Actually I've sailed on Steinlager 1, the 60 foot David Allan-Williams trimaran. Cheers.

post-100779-0-38765300-1483330977_thumb.jpg

post-100779-0-38765300-1483330977_thumb.jpg

Yes, there were ventilation problems with the original boat. My mistake was placing a watertight bulkhead below the mid hull cross brace, so aft of there it was sealed, (because I wanted the boat to have buoyancy - also forward of the foremast base - and aft if capsized, holed) and although there were four ventilation hatches in the cockpit sides, the after interior got damp from condensation and high summer heat. That was okay when the boat was looked after because you sponged out and ventilated the area - but when the boat was relatively untouched for a couple of years, the deck started to rot. Hence all my repairs and savage stripping out after the Skimmer was returned.

Eric Eason and I went out on the Cox's Bay Skimmer today but before the tide came in at Cox's, cleaned the bottom of Frog, my 6.5 metre double foiler - that at the moment just sits there and I have to stop fooling around with the Skimmer.. However Skimmer went very well but I'm going to have to beef up the too fragile 2.7 mm concave deck. There is some carbon reinforcing ... but needs a few more laminates. I've been told more than once I build stupidly light but never learn.

post-100779-0-23665800-1483679807_thumb.jpg

Archived