Protest committee - how many?

TJSoCal

Is there any rule that establishes how many people are needed to form a protest committee?

I'm sure a committee of one would not be considered ideal, but would it be technically valid?

US Sailing Appeal 42

Rule 91 does not prohibit a protest committee consisting of one person.

US Sailing Appeal Question 94

Question 2

May a protest committee have only one member?
Answer 2
Yes. Although it is generally preferable to have more than one, no rule specifies the number of members of a protest committee.

Three heads are better than one. Improves involvement with rules, lessens the chance of allegations of bias. It's amazing how often, in the pressure of a protest hearing, you forget some aspect, and reminded of it by another member.

Is there any rule that establishes how many people are needed to form a protest committee?

I'm sure a committee of one would not be considered ideal, but would it be technically valid?

Most of the Protest Committees I've been on have been 3, sometimes 4 or 5... however I think that "Committee of One" would be a great name for a techno band.

FB- Doug

be sure at least one knows the rules regardless of headcount

Also, regardless of headcount make sure the committee follows the due process laid out in the PC guide regarding determining validity, entering evidence, etc. One reason 1 isn't necessarily great is it's harder to document everything that was said.

be sure at least one knows the rules regardless of headcount

Also, regardless of headcount make sure the committee follows the due process laid out in the PC guide regarding determining validity, entering evidence, etc. One reason 1 isn't necessarily great is it's harder to document everything that was said.

One thing I have always insisted on: the PC needs to -have- a current rule book in at least one hand, and to read the relevant rule aloud. Believe it or not, I've gotten push back on this a few times, and on several occasions a member would say something like "wait, is the rule really like that?"

FB- Doug

Add "protest committee member" to the bartender's job description, make the committee - by rule - the same number as the number of bartenders present at the club and require the bar to be closed during protest hearings.

Oh, and make sure there is a current rule book behind the bar, to keep Steam Flyer happy.

Simple.

Add "protest committee member" to the bartender's job description, make the committee - by rule - the same number as the number of bartenders present at the club and require the bar to be closed during protest hearings.

Oh, and make sure there is a current rule book behind the bar, to keep Steam Flyer happy.

Simple.

That ought to do a nice job of keeping protests to a bare minimum.

Archived