• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boat sailing  Dog flying 

Ghosting along near Castine.

Bearing away after hoisting the sails for the first time after 3 years retrofit.  Monterey.   

Posted Images

Funny story that is entirely true and literally about 24 hours old.

Our stock answer #1: The smallest we could find that has a decent shower that you can stand and move around in, 2 stateroom, and a workable galley and saloon. See attached pic.  Yes that was taken as we were sailing so it qualifies for the thread.

Our stock answer #2:  Too F-ing big.  That rotating wing mast has her sailing in the slip even before we get all the lines made (or freed).   The loads are huge and the chute enormous considering we are just two folks nearing 60... and we decided we would forgo the furler or turtle and just deck/bag launch the chute like we did on our F27.

True Story:  We went out yesterday hoping for 5-7 as I mentioned. Its the first shakedown sail and was not forecast to be much... and it was light at the slip when we left.  Of course it then cranked up to a solid 12 gusting to 18 with occasional puff over 20.  So being older and wiser we both said lets just stick to the main and jib - the rudder rake is also off (next on our to do list) the the loads on the helm overpowering to the point the auto could not cope.  We got our giggles doing easy 8 knots to windward with the boat and lee bow laughing at the puffs like they didn't exist. And then it got light.  And stayed light for a bit. So we unfurled the screacher and had some fun with that.  And since it was still light air we figured we would quickly throw up the chute.  And did.  Damn sail-maker had not marked the tack vs clew so I had to swap those after hoisting but all went well. But I realized we were covering ground quickly and I was running out of runway to douse.  And in our joy and haste we had not thought that through.  Chute on starboard tack (ie port side of boat).  Halyard on mast clutch starboard side, tack line in clutch on cabintop port side, and because of helm load the auto cant do this so I gotta manage myself with wife driving.  Which is about when she said: "there are some big ass puffs coming down the river we need to get that down NOW!"  She is not prone to panic so I looked aft and thought oh shit neither me or those plates on the saloon table are likely to be standing 30 seconds from now.  So as she turns down to collapse the chute behind the main, I blow the tack line as I jump-exit the cockpit, and quickly blow and grab the spin-sheet on my way to the net.  From there I gather the clew and tack (foot under control) and carry it with me to the mast where I blow the halyard, now running back to the net and gather the whole mess.  Somehow it all gets down but there is chute everywhere and its slippery on the net.  Like go swimming slippery.  Wife turns up to a reach to try to hide us in Sillery Bay and so chute is on high side to try to give me a better chance to bag it without swimming.  But we are hauling ass and bare headed making the helm even worse.  Land Ho!!  And she is doing all she can to muscle the helm and hold a course, so I need to get back to the cockpit to trim the main through the gybe to get us headed back into the river and deeper water.  Anway, we pulled it all off but we both look at each other and say "Damn this thing is F-ing BIG."  Makes our old F27 feel like a toy.  But then I see the plates still sitting happily there, unfurled the jib again and decide to play with the mast rotation for the final beat home and all is well that ends well.

Will have to put the pics in later or next post as I can't figure out how to downsize to get them to fit here.

So Ajax to answer your question while its only about 10 feet bigger than the F27 its a world apart and just big enough is too freaking big.

file-78.jpeg

• Like 4

OK and here is the spin shot @Ajax. If you look closely there are so many little stupid things on the boat that make us laugh but we have kept for the humor (for now).  OK and one of the stupid things is the boat has what we and friends have taken to calling a "Rodney Horn" on it.  Yesterday, by accident, we found the rodney horn button and scared the living shit out of ourselves.

file-72.gif

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It'll shrink a fair bit once you are used to it.

True dat. When we first got our 50'er, I was intimidated as hell but with practice, familiarity, and some tweaks to facilitate shorthanded sailing, it feels more like 40'.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It'll shrink a fair bit once you are used to it.

29 minutes ago, IStream said:

True dat. When we first got our 50'er, I was intimidated as hell but with practice, familiarity, and some tweaks to facilitate shorthanded sailing, it feels more like 40'.

Yea, we have owned and sailed bigger.  Much bigger actually and they were even multis.  But nothing like this combination of speed, size, and lightness.  I mean the extent to which the thing starts sailing in the slip in the slightest breeze is humbling.  But like you guys said we will get used to her and also need to reset our thinking and SOPs.

51 minutes ago, Wess said:

I mean the extent to which the thing starts sailing in the slip in the slightest breeze is humbling.

So how hard would it be to singlehand it in and out of the slip?

24 minutes ago, Toggie said:

nice video Toggie. What lake are you on? I grew up on Lake St. Claire?

55 minutes ago, slap said:

So how hard would it be to singlehand it in and out of the slip?

Ask me at the end of the summer after I have some experience LOL.  I am sure its doable; I just need to devise a system and approach.  Our situation is a bit tricky because its exposed to the usual N or S cross breeze and there is a shoal maybe 100 feet out which means an immediate turn is needed coming in or out.  I have seen and dealt with worse docking situations; just need to learn the behavior of this boat and find ways to address it.

20 minutes ago, Wess said:

Ask me at the end of the summer after I have some experience LOL.  I am sure its doable; I just need to devise a system and approach.  Our situation is a bit tricky because its exposed to the usual N or S cross breeze and there is a shoal maybe 100 feet out which means an immediate turn is needed coming in or out.  I have seen and dealt with worse docking situations; just need to learn the behavior of this boat and find ways to address it.

Are you able to keep in unfolded in your slip?   I've found that one of my greatest.... frustrations/disappointments/learnings.... with my current moorage arrangement is that there are too many conditions where getting into or out of my slip are challenging at best singlehanded or even with help.  It's my first conventional slip with a boat 5' away from me in the same 'space'.  Light weight plus windage means that when the wind is blowing me off my finger dock, I have very little margin to get in or out before I'm 'into' my neighbor.  So far, no contact.  All my previous moorage arrangements were side ties with a lot of room to futz around and plenty of margin.

We won't even talk about having to pay for a 57' slip for a 38' boat just to get the width I need.....

51 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Are you able to keep in unfolded in your slip?   I've found that one of my greatest.... frustrations/disappointments/learnings.... with my current moorage arrangement is that there are too many conditions where getting into or out of my slip are challenging at best singlehanded or even with help.  It's my first conventional slip with a boat 5' away from me in the same 'space'.  Light weight plus windage means that when the wind is blowing me off my finger dock, I have very little margin to get in or out before I'm 'into' my neighbor.  So far, no contact.  All my previous moorage arrangements were side ties with a lot of room to futz around and plenty of margin.

We won't even talk about having to pay for a 57' slip for a 38' boat just to get the width I need.....

Yes that is exactly the challenge Veeger. We are unfolded in a conventional slip. Very little room for entry and egress once unsecured and maneuvers also needed with an added cross breeze. To just physically hold the boat in the cross breeze - line in hand - is not something easily done. There are ways and techniques obviously but like you said even double handed it’s a challenge in anything more than a light breeze.

@Ajax- Realized I never actually answered your question; sorry.  Its a Corsair C36.  Lovely boat.  Now.  You can't imagine what it was like when we purchased it back in November 2018.  Had to move it ~100nm south by water for stage 1 of the refit and literally had to deal with fire, flooding, repowering (in the water), broken steering linkage (naturally in middle of Cape Canaveral Harbor with two cruise ships wondering WTF was up with us and the Broward County water sheriff having a good laugh... they were actually great but no idea why they were there as it ain't Broward county, go figure) all on a really tight timeline to make it home for Thanksgiving.  And mold and mildew everywhere inside (the white walls were literally black with the stuff) and running rigging so rotten it would disintegrate in your hands as you tugged on it.  And yes it folds.  She came up to us after the refit on her new trailer arriving Valentines Day night (we closed on her on my wife's birthday so I have been playing that up with some success LOL).  Nothing goes to weather like a big truck and trailer on I95N LOL.  A friend just sent me this video (sistership) and I think I am going to spend all day just watching and re-watching it.  I think there are now 3 of these boats (two Corsair C36s and one 37) on the Bay. And no.  NO.  No, I ain't racing it in the Bay or river, LOL.  This is for the wife and I to double hand cruise.  Well maybe an A2B for me and the racing friends but we shall see.  I first want to chillax and learn her while covering the Bay, then the east coast, then the islands, then trailer west and do Baha and Northwest Passage with the wife.  Then maybe race.  Maybe.  Wess

Imagine the speed and ease that you could reach your destinations. On a boat that fast, the Chesapeake is almost a joke.

You mentioned your age. You guys could run with small sails with little effort and still make much faster time than a monohull, yet shake out all the cloth on very light days and still make good time. It would take winds of 0.00000 knots to force you to motor.

What kind of engine did it come with? Inboard or outboard?

40 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Northwest Passage?  Perhaps you're thinking of the Inside Passage?  Northwest passage is COLD....   Carry on!

Yea, inside; sorry typing too fast. Basically an R2AK with the engine and no schedule.

26 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Imagine the speed and ease that you could reach your destinations. On a boat that fast, the Chesapeake is almost a joke.

You mentioned your age. You guys could run with small sails with little effort and still make much faster time than a monohull, yet shake out all the cloth on very light days and still make good time. It would take winds of 0.00000 knots to force you to motor.

What kind of engine did it come with? Inboard or outboard?

Its an outboard boat which we like Ajax.  We repowered with a new Yamaha 25HP EFI long shaft.  Tweaking props now.  The outboard vs inboard brings benefits (simple system, light weight and easy to swap out) and some detriments (limited charging addressed with solar and no hot water addressed with on demand propane). 

Sailing her once clear of the slip, land and other boats is easy.  The toughest is just getting in and out of the slip with all sails down/furled. That rotating semi-wing mast wants to go even if locked and stalled.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Wess said:

@Ajax- Realized I never actually answered your question; sorry.  Its a Corsair C36.  Lovely boat.  Now.  You can't imagine what it was like when we purchased it back in November 2018.  Had to move it ~100nm south by water for stage 1 of the refit and literally had to deal with fire, flooding, repowering (in the water), broken steering linkage (naturally in middle of Cape Canaveral Harbor with two cruise ships wondering WTF was up with us and the Broward County water sheriff having a good laugh... they were actually great but no idea why they were there as it ain't Broward county, go figure) all on a really tight timeline to make it home for Thanksgiving.  And mold and mildew everywhere inside (the white walls were literally black with the stuff) and running rigging so rotten it would disintegrate in your hands as you tugged on it.  And yes it folds.  She came up to us after the refit on her new trailer arriving Valentines Day night (we closed on her on my wife's birthday so I have been playing that up with some success LOL).  Nothing goes to weather like a big truck and trailer on I95N LOL.  A friend just sent me this video (sistership) and I think I am going to spend all day just watching and re-watching it.  I think there are now 3 of these boats (two Corsair C36s and one 37) on the Bay. And no.  NO.  No, I ain't racing it in the Bay or river, LOL.  This is for the wife and I to double hand cruise.  Well maybe an A2B for me and the racing friends but we shall see.  I first want to chillax and learn her while covering the Bay, then the east coast, then the islands, then trailer west and do Baha and Northwest Passage with the wife.  Then maybe race.  Maybe.  Wess

Nice boat but a seriously boring video! I fell asleep while watching it (and I was brushing my teeth at the same time). 

• 2 weeks later...

Got out for a blast today. severely lacking in the sail management department but she's in progress... it's great to be able to get out while i do the fit out to test things as i go. Plus, it keeps the motivation high. crew had a good time, that's all that matters

xZCRiom.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Zora said:

Got out for a blast today. severely lacking in the sail management department but she's in progress... it's great to be able to get out while i do the fit out to test things as i go. Plus, it keeps the motivation high. crew had a good time, that's all that matters

xZCRiom.jpg

Great shot!

On 3/18/2019 at 12:23 PM, Veeger said:

Interesting.  Every time I contemplate a multi (which is fairly frequently - I think your MC38 is just about the ideal boat for us; I just wish they were cheaper & more easily found on the west coast)  I think I'd move to a mooring; seems like it would solve a lot of these issues (although creating some new ones of course).  

14 hours ago, Zora said:

xZCRiom.jpg

Is that a non-travelling traveller???

If so, presumably you call it a settled traveller...

(IRL joke only)

10 hours ago, socalrider said:

Interesting.  Every time I contemplate a multi (which is fairly frequently - I think your MC38 is just about the ideal boat for us; I just wish they were cheaper & more easily found on the west coast)  I think I'd move to a mooring; seems like it would solve a lot of these issues (although creating some new ones of course).  

Don't get me wrong.  These are nuances of owning a boat in general and a multihull specifically.  Moorings just are not a viable option here in the PNW for most folks. Too few, mostly private and since we keep our boat in the water year round, we'd need a place that was sheltered from all directions and as nice as the Salish Sea is, there aren't the nooks and crannies like in Maine....   I pay for a large slip because it's in a great marina and has great access to good sailing, not to mention it's 14 minutes from my house....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been testing out how well the boat helms without too much help in different conditions. Here, she has a partially reefed headsail on a close reach in about 10 to 15 knots. Tide is pretty slack. very minor corrections needed so overall happy with how she performs! 

fEjzYxc.jpg

If in doubt, put herself on the helm .. she seems pretty happy there anyway

v7Wfq4J.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ajax said:

@Zora I haven't watched any of your videos yet. Are all of these people just sailing friends or race crew or students or...?

The pretty dark haired girl in the hat is my better half and all my other crew are just friends. None of them have done any sailing before so I've been teaching what little I know. The dog is my friends dog that is happy to be out sailing so we bring him along for the ride :) I'm trying to build my experience bringing out people that aren't too experienced because I want to do some charter skippering at some point. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zora said:

The pretty dark haired girl in the hat is my better half and all my other crew are just friends. None of them have done any sailing before so I've been teaching what little I know. The dog is my friends dog that is happy to be out sailing so we bring him along for the ride :) I'm trying to build my experience bringing out people that aren't too experienced because I want to do some charter skippering at some point. 

My family is from Italy...recently enough that we know where our home village is, and visit there sometimes. I personally, haven't been there yet. My wife 2.0 and I spent our honeymoon in Florence.

As much as I want to go back to Italy, I feel that maybe we should broaden our view a bit and visit the UK and France. I've been to England, Ireland, Scotland, France and Belgium a few times as a submarine crewman and it was wonderful, so I'd like to take Wife 2.0 to that general region. Hopefully your charter business is up and running by then. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We (The missus and I) got out for the first time with just the two of us last weekend. First time for me as a skipper with no experienced hands on board. We managed well, the wind was 15 to 20 knots on the Saturday and we picked up a mooring in Oysterhaven, which is a very quiet and pretty anchorage nearby. Sunday morning we sailed a few miles offshore and then turned back for lunch at another stunning anchorage nearby. Bit more motoring Sunday as the wind died off during the day. Got back to the berth without any trouble as well. An all round excellent experience and the missus loved it, which is only good too! Very little wildlife this weekend bar a couple of Dolphins, but i saw some Minke whales on a different recent expedition...

WS4REhc.jpg

udUoAge.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Zora said:

We (The missus and I) got out for the first time with just the two of us last weekend.

Did you run off and get hitched without telling us about it? I've seen your better half at the helm. She does very good. Time to start showing SWMBO the ropes, so to speak. 

On 5/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, woahboy said:

Did you run off and get hitched without telling us about it? I've seen your better half at the helm. She does very good. Time to start showing SWMBO the ropes, so to speak. 

nah she's not the official mrs... thats not really on our agenda. maybe later :)

• Like 1
On 12/12/2016 at 6:14 PM, Clipper said:

Circa 1975 old wooden cat

post-2394-0-31871500-1481519627_thumb.jpg

This thread has been going so long Ive got a new boat now.

I posted in the “show us your boat not sailing” thread too, but basically, just love showing off the boat. 

We had a second child 2 years ago, and my wife said we werent going cruising on the cat anymore, so “go and buy a bigger boat”. What was I to do?

ABFC8EF5-5F8E-4651-839F-81B4770EACC2.jpeg

4A61A533-F035-42D7-BADD-84EAA5440733.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clipper said:

my wife said we werent going cruising on the cat anymore, so “go and buy a bigger boat”. What was I to do?

Obey - like any intelligent man.

Wives are referred to as SWMBO for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

A mate dropped me a text to ask if he could use the boat for some photos for his partner's portfolio, to which of course I said yes.

I was solo, so I intended to ring some of the crew to give me a hand. Then my guests turned up ....with friends! :wub:

And after that I somehow forgot to ring everybody. 

Sorry chaps :) 

64359415_688690711574818_8207280261788860416_n.thumb.jpg.acc8eaebcb47a77e199e41a700c56144.jpg

64590466_445665462918533_3178380445918167040_n.thumb.jpg.97d72bce06f3c2dac425af151f567f27.jpg

64564271_2891226557570849_5620041019794915328_n.thumb.jpg.63ade16c685aa2d221d42d8a8f77e76f.jpg

64928927_2400770449989288_1455904466355093504_n.thumb.jpg.a4297355f573300d3444083a412e7763.jpg

My helming was oddly atrocious. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

A mate dropped me a text to ask if he could use the boat for some photos for his partner's portfolio, to which of course I said yes.

I was solo, so I intended to ring some of the crew to give me a hand. Then my guests turned up ....with friends! :wub:

And after that I somehow forgot to ring everybody. 

64359415_688690711574818_8207280261788860416_n.thumb.jpg.acc8eaebcb47a77e199e41a700c56144.jpg

My helming was oddly atrocious. 

The one in the middle with her tongue out is...Distracting.

6 hours ago, IStream said:

I'm just glad they weren't sailors, the wake looked like one of those heart monitors.

64448657_2722751177759812_4046580764517597184_n.thumb.jpg.a0b92a1780e4f04466d31c9e10661931.jpg

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

There's gotta be more than that to share Shaggy... 

It is only because I have your best interests in mind Guy that has refrained me from posting more good sir.

But I feel somehow compelled to share. Oh, the quandary! 

A pic after the shop edit from one of the photogs ready for publishing.  Man, I wish I had this knack for photo editing.

64597107_473059826776688_3289844760033886208_n.thumb.png.cfc1e501f37e048f0ef2dbbc979956b3.png

Due to today's social climate, I believe that it is inappropriate to comment. I'll just say that it looks like a fun time was had by all.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, SemiSalt said:

C.P. snow's first book, circa 1935, was a mystery involving a pleasure yacht described as a wherry. I've wondered what it was supposed  to be like.

The Black Sailed Wherry is Albion which is the last working Wherry. When the pleasure industry first took off Working Wherrys  were converted for passengers in the summer (before harvest time). However later they built Wherry Yachts, which are similar but Different. This is White Moth a Wherry Yacht  saved from destruction by a friend

WMoth[1].png

Some were very ornate inside Hathor was built for the Colman Family  (as in Colmans mustard) and had in laid Egyption style marquetry inside

More on Wherrys.. https://www.wherryyachtcharter.org/wmoth.php

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, The Q said:

The Black Sailed Wherry is Albion which is the last working Wherry. When the pleasure industry first took off Working Wherrys  were converted for passengers in the summer (before harvest time). However later they built Wherry Yachts, which are similar but Different. This is White Moth a Wherry Yacht  saved from destruction by a friend

WMoth[1].png

Some were very ornate inside Hathor was built for the Colman Family  (as in Colmans mustard) and had in laid Egyption style marquetry inside

More on Wherrys.. https://www.wherryyachtcharter.org/wmoth.php

Very cool. Thank you. 

The solution to C.P. Snow's mystery depended on the exact configuration of the cockpit, but it's been a long time since I read the book, so I don't remember just how.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:49 PM, shaggybaxter said:

Apology accepted. Remember that a requirement of true contrition is a firm resolve to sin no more, i.e. to never inflict such shite upon us again. Thank you very much.

19 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Apology accepted. Remember that a requirement of true contrition is a firm resolve to sin no more, i.e. to never inflict such shite upon us again. Thank you very much.

You are absolutely correct my good man. 

I shall no longer be lured by the temptations of the flesh.

I am stronger than this. I am in control. 

Thanks Bull.

• Like 1

There has never in the entire history of sailing been a girl who looked like that on a sailboat.

Except for staged pictures like that.

Sigh...it's official, I'm "old."  I feel guilty for looking at a woman that young.  My daughters are probably a little older than her.

why do so many fashion models have to look miserable? I really don't get it. Forgive me, but that presents a vision of allure as seen by "an asexual sociopath - "this is what attractive women look like, makeup and tits. That'll do it."

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

why do so many fashion models have to look miserable?

Perhaps they're not faking being miserable. I think a career where you are objectified would be pretty miserable. I why I am to be an unattractive fat old guy.  

In the world of multihull's, I love trimarans. They look like spaceships, they're wicked fast and you often drive them from outside the cockpit like the dude in the photo.

I don't have the money or dockage available to own one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Howzat?

One of my favorites. But I am partial to boats, designers, and builders that are in Michigan. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, IStream said:

I'm just glad they weren't sailors, the wake looked like one of those heart monitors.

64448657_2722751177759812_4046580764517597184_n.thumb.jpg.a0b92a1780e4f04466d31c9e10661931.jpg

Hmmm, I'm glad to see that the crewmate on the left is still using the international sign language used in the 70s and 80s.

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:
  On 6/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, IStream said:

Hmmm, I'm glad to see that the crewmate on the left is still using the international sign language used in the 70s and 80s.

She probably hasn't realized he isn't a real donkey, if you know what I mean.

3 hours ago, Training Wheels said:

D6B67951-4548-41A4-8AAA-5AEA0D6CB405.thumb.jpeg.6e01ac8b744df202c7525f9d4ae3066f.jpeg

What is that boat? It looks good! Please don't post more photos of horrible looking people. They are like photos of mushroom clouds or car accidents.Boats sailing is better for my delicate mind.

20 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

For christ's sake, will someone please post a photo of a boat sailing?

If you insist. In real time. Off Aughris Head. You may have to lay your head on your desk  

99928F0F-B577-402C-BDA2-21100101347F.jpeg.502516fa9bb8e443bdc4c11f46087138.jpeg

• Like 1