Show your boat sailing thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boat sailing  Dog flying 

Bearing away after hoisting the sails for the first time after 3 years retrofit.  Monterey.   

Ghosting along near Castine.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

You poor bastard. It's nearly July!

Well... the boat was waaay in the back corner of the yard after being abandoned for 5 years.   So I was the last to be launched.  Well worth the wait !

• Like 2
22 hours ago, nebe said:

Well... the boat was waaay in the back corner of the yard after being abandoned for 5 years.   So I was the last to be launched.  Well worth the wait !

Who's the beautiful smile in the photos?

22 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Whew, good for you, bro. Congratulations!

Thanks! She’s a good one.  And the best part is she can’t get enough of sailing. A perfect companion. 

Now if she would just varnish that toe rail ... hmmm 

27 minutes ago, nebe said:

Thanks! She’s a good one.  And the best part is she can’t get enough of sailing. A perfect companion. 

Now if she would just varnish that toe rail ... hmmm 

Now, now. Beware creeping expectations.  ;)

• Like 2
On 6/22/2019 at 1:42 AM, Training Wheels said:

FCB0CB70-1FA1-4452-AEFA-86BE7618F02D.jpeg

On 6/23/2019 at 11:49 PM, 10thTonner said:

Is that Nosferatu on the port beam? 

I see he's more in multihulls, these days. Word has it that he was a pretty decent pitman.

nosferatu.thumb.jpg.452ab026a902794519bf3bf3bc245a2f.jpg

"Trim that leech better, sucker, we're bleeding speed!" 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Tough grasping the lines with those finger nails!  lol

I was just wondering why anyone with those fingers would pick a coat with a hundred little buttons.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Tough grasping the lines with those finger nails!  lol

But very easy getting those sails down.  .......once

6 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

A couple of days ago, getting tugged down the Donegal coastline by our squaresail. We don’t often get to use it, but when we do it’s a wonder. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHtR2sxMjs

Donegal? I'm not buying it - the sky is the wrong colour and there's a strange bright light in the sky.

Seriously, looks like fun. Happy faces, scenery. Good times.

14 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

A couple of days ago, getting tugged down the Donegal coastline by our squaresail. We don’t often get to use it, but when we do it’s a wonder. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHtR2sxMjs

Sorry Ed. Too much rope and wood. :P Seriously, what a beautiful clip!

OK. This is not my boat, it's my buddy's Tartan, and the video is not very good, but the soundtrack is excellent. Fortunately it's less than 3 minutes long.

24 minutes ago, Bull City said:

OK. This is not my boat, it's my buddy's Tartan, and the video is not very good, but the soundtrack is excellent. Fortunately it's less than 3 minutes long.

Is that a T37?

6 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

New motor in and sorted.  Took her up to Port Townsend for the Wauquiez Rendezvous.  Had a beer can race on Saturday.  Took first.  Amazing what a clean bottom can do.  And a good start... 

DSCF6587.jpg

Photo by Lee Youngblood

Beautiful photo. Looks like you had a perfect day.

18 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
On 6/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, IStream said:

Too sunny to be him.

SPF 90 and some RayBans. You'd be surprised how many beer can racers are undead.

Huh. That explains a few things.

8 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

New motor in and sorted.  Took her up to Port Townsend for the Wauquiez Rendezvous.  Had a beer can race on Saturday.  Took first.  Amazing what a clean bottom can do.  And a good start... 

DSCF6587.jpg

Photo by Lee Youngblood

God that's a pretty boat.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, IStream said:

Huh. That explains a few things.

They are averse to crossings tho, and a SuperSoaker filled with holy water will gain you several boat lengths at the pin. Do not, and I must stress this, agree to crew an overnight race on their boat. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

They are averse to crossings tho, and a SuperSoaker filled with holy water will gain you several boat lengths at the pin. Do not, and I must stress this, agree to crew an overnight race on their boat. 

Words to live by, thanks.

• Like 1

We got out for a nice weekend of sailing, spending 2 nights on a mooring in the beautiful Oysterhaven. We aren't quite set up well enough to go much further at the moment, but it's nice to be able to get moving a bit

ijooPeG.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zora said:

We got out for a nice weekend of sailing, spending 2 nights on a mooring in the beautiful Oysterhaven. We aren't quite set up well enough to go much further at the moment, but it's nice to be able to get moving a bit

ijooPeG.jpg

Looking good.

1 hour ago, Zora said:

eye candy at the helm and a big dirty new scratch along the side, which resulted from yours truly making a proper mess of the tides in a new berth. 

Z9YiEWv.jpg

Look at this way. The eye candy at the helm will draw attention away from the the scratched hull. Sorry ‘bout mate.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:23 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Harbor sail. A Hinckley Pilot in a yawl. 

603958569_Dinghysail2_.thumb.jpg.0a7758ba7a8497e0efd07746e0cd2876.jpg

Surprised kayakers. 

367692468_Dinghysail3.thumb.jpg.2fbaa0ba77bb65048f9fc2f349e4a210.jpg

Rowers. 

2020237437_Dinghysail4.thumb.jpg.e74247d111f4d9ba705079ca57e41861.jpg

Under the stern of a smelly fishing boat. 

1748639468_Dinghysail6.thumb.jpg.060377f949ab7841bc9c2730f7dd995f.jpg

Full, 9'6" boat. 

853561588_Dinghysail7.thumb.jpg.1e42e75b74159d3f82ead10be0cdfc44.jpg

@Kris Cringle It’s the poop deck pup. Great photos.

• Like 2
On 7/13/2019 at 7:23 AM, Kris Cringle said:

Harbor sail. A Hinckley Pilot in a yawl. 

603958569_Dinghysail2_.thumb.jpg.0a7758ba7a8497e0efd07746e0cd2876.jpg

Surprised kayakers. 

367692468_Dinghysail3.thumb.jpg.2fbaa0ba77bb65048f9fc2f349e4a210.jpg

Rowers. 

2020237437_Dinghysail4.thumb.jpg.e74247d111f4d9ba705079ca57e41861.jpg

Under the stern of a smelly fishing boat. 

1748639468_Dinghysail6.thumb.jpg.060377f949ab7841bc9c2730f7dd995f.jpg

Full, 9'6" boat. 

853561588_Dinghysail7.thumb.jpg.1e42e75b74159d3f82ead10be0cdfc44.jpg

Are you guys going to sail in the Downeast Challenge this year?

16 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Sounds like fun but no. How about you? 

Yup.  It was a lot of fun last year and we are gearing up to do it again.  There were a couple classic boats doing the event last year.  The event is about the fun more than the competition really.  Hopefully we have as good conditions this year we did last.

• Like 1

We're just back from a weekend of the greatest fun at the mighty Mullaghmore Regatta! Big shout out to them all - sailing as it ought to be. Convivial, competitive, collaborative and diverse. A great bunch of people, and many thanks to Heather Collins to the photos, including some of the nicest of us under way

419279167_mullaghmoreregatta.thumb.JPG.c4d1cd0e90ae0f7815fc643c33ebda27.JPG

8788537_mullaghmoreregatta2.thumb.JPG.e415bb093e4db651a82487062845f199.JPG

941274715_mullaghmoreregatta3.thumb.JPG.5d216c39792df2bf8c2065b8e5a1d9b1.JPG

Lots of other lovely photos by Heather here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNJLG5vn3pQkNjAK8

• Like 8
40 minutes ago, JMOD said:

just back from panerai classic week, and 8mR worldcup in Cowes.  fantastic conditions! I was sailing on K20fullsizeoutput_3ea4.thumb.jpeg.b29d57d7c0d5399ce3a16791875c62ef.jpegIMG_3589.thumb.JPG.7c5212f7680efbaa7a487aa4410e847b.JPGfullsizeoutput_3f88.thumb.jpeg.b4b8f90ea5ca48c89073c0232e4b6058.jpegIMG_3721.JPG.04ced06e688d05e66814f410f2161cad.JPG

Have just looked up the results. Looks like there are stories behind the second and the last race! What happened?

we had done a week of panerai classic sailing, which we won on all accounts. then on the first day of the worldcup we had a port starboard collision with Carron (K2, not SUI3 which is Carron II). collision mad for big damage (deck beam broken., forward hatch, shrouds, etc). We then went ahead locating the necessary repairs to try and get back in racing. by race 4 we were back with new shrouds, epoxied deck beam and a hatch that "worked without splinters, but needed to pump with the handpump constantly as the boat was leaking a lot. total damage still needs to be assessed, but that is up to the experts and insurance now.

We had massive help from local shops and competing teams who lend us their rib, parts and lend a hand where needed, etc. Truly amazing support from the 8mR class community, Carron unfortunately lost her forestay and by the force of the collision mast compressed at deck level, leaving them unable to race further and a broken mast. Luckily no one was hurt on both boats.

But getting the boat back on the racecourse and getting our heads together with a focus on racing for the topscores was a huge effort, making it my personal sweetest 3rd place victory.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IStream said:

My God, Ed and JMOD. The beauty of those wooden classics doing what they were meant to do. 

It almost makes it worth the trouble.

Thanks for the sentiment. I’m afraid ours was built to cruise, but she puts up with the occasional leisurely amble in company. And she does make people smile and that’s good. 

Oh, and of course it’s worth the trouble. Life is trouble; love is trouble, and beautiful boats make beautiful places even nicer. One of the reasons we’re enjoying Ireland so much is that you really don’t get much of the strange dockside toothsucking from people saying things like “oh, you wouldn’t catch me doing any varnishing” as if they were too smart for it, and even the fishermen enjoy that you’ve spent some time making the place look better by having a nice boat. I spend less time varnishing than the toothsuckers spend watching “reality” TV.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Thanks for the sentiment. I’m afraid ours was built to cruise, but she puts up with the occasional leisurely amble in company. And she does make people smile and that’s good. 

Oh, and of course it’s worth the trouble. Life is trouble; love is trouble, and beautiful boats make beautiful places even nicer. One of the reasons we’re enjoying Ireland so much is that you really don’t get much of the strange dockside toothsucking from people saying things like “oh, you wouldn’t catch me doing any varnishing” as if they were too smart for it, and even the fishermen enjoy that you’ve spent some time making the place look better by having a nice boat. I spend less time varnishing than the toothsuckers spend watching “reality” TV.

When I run into an owner sailing a museum quality piece, I usually say "I'm sure glad you're doing it, because at my current stage in life, I just can't."

If I could make my current salary (or anything close to it) over at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, I'd quit right now and head over there! As it is, I can barely support a plastic boat.

29 minutes ago, Ajax said:

When I run into an owner sailing a museum quality piece, I usually say "I'm sure glad you're doing it, because at my current stage in life, I just can't."

If I could make my current salary (or anything close to it) over at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, I'd quit right now and head over there! As it is, I can barely support a plastic boat.

There’s only a certain amount of truth in that statement, although it does depend  on free labour. No time AND no money is a bad combination. 

Much of the money we spend is on stuff that is common with all boats - machinery of all sorts, parking, insuring. 

• Like 1

Funny thing.....sometimes my modest boat seems (to me) the "best of the best".

Obviously I am wrong. But I wonder if those sailing boats 10x the cost have 10x the fun.

Winter here. Still pleasant, though.

CA0E5C4D-92F3-4D98-8B1B-8DBE54D9B269.jpeg

C33F7E34-9B5B-45A6-9738-04C77080743B.jpeg

• Like 6

One of the greatest attributes of sailing is how "scalable" it is.  If you have the resource (time, money, skill, whatever) then sailing around the world, or doing "classic regattas" on a classic boat are just wonderful.  If you have less resources, then sailing a smaller "4ktsb" around your local harbor works almost as well.  Or an old dingy around the island in the middle of a lake.  All of those can be wonderful experiences.  There are not many other sports that give you the same level of enjoyment, at so many different levels of resource/participation...

• Like 4
10 hours ago, plenamar said:

Obviously I am wrong. But I wonder if those sailing boats 10x the cost have 10x the fun.

The "best" boat, is the one you already own.

• Like 3

always go for the boat you feel comfortable to take out. personally, i would go for a daysailor as i have no time for longer trips with 3 small kids. so i want a boat that i can handle alone on an evening after work. and if people want to join, they are welcome. but this means i can sail as often as possible

• Like 1
13 hours ago, plenamar said:

Nice photo. What kind of boat? Is that Buenos Aires in the background?

13 hours ago, plenamar said:

You're not wrong.  Nice boat. 

I was driving my beat up 9 foot inflatable dinghy with an ancient 10hp outboard.  My lady friend (we're both >60) was hanging on the front tube, and we were blasting around the bay jumping waves and having a hoot.  As we surfed down the wake of a big cigarette boat, the guy driving gave me a big 'thumbs up'.  It's about enjoying what you've got. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bull City said:

Nice photo. What kind of boat? Is that Buenos Aires in the background?

By his moniker, I'd guess it is a Plenamar, an argentinian brand. And yes, it seems to be Buenos Aires.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

The main was a little low when the pics were taken. My sincerest apologies.

We'll make an exception this time but don't let it happen again.

• Like 1

For those that remember the "Crash tries to sink the perfect compromise boat" thread, here she is, finally out sailing....

Normally I can get the photo's to rotate...I did with  the family shot.  But I couldn't get the first one to rotate.  First the rotate tool didn't work, then it disappeared???

large.Falcon_Sailing.jpg.737d6d868d7a0750a782065ca04ce193.jpg

large.529066953_FalconSailingII.jpg.b5286ed20f272a81aa1f703533d1bb59.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG-20190825-WA0011_3.thumb.jpg.65a82c2d93c06dd751fb6eb54e41f934.jpgIMG-20190825-WA0015_2.thumb.jpg.68a6ea1c7ddcfee6db466ad636e4a2a9.jpgIMG-20190825-WA0001_2.thumb.jpg.73971fb710115719d9db4dd7cf95dd0e.jpgIMG-20190825-WA0009_3.thumb.jpg.928238125a9cf6d22ee25086b2285939.jpg

Britton Chance/Michel Bigoin improbable child is sailing again, after ten years on the ground. We have done quite a lot of work on it already, and there's still loads to do. But we wanted to sail her asap and see what she needed. So far, she's a joy.

One of the pics is an intruder. It's the hull after 1 month and a half submerged without antifouling (in the Med). Thought I'd do the experiment and see if spending time and money in that department was worth it, since the boat is out of the water 9 months per year.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

You're a good man, Jud.

So many have helped or inspired me over the years - I should pass it along!

I can only say, thanks, Ish - and that this “funny kitten video” really is worth watching!!  :-)  I’m not into this sort of thing at all, but it’s awesome.  (Making the rounds on Facebook last day or so.)

Kitten Wrestlemania, for those who haven’t been lucky enough to see this yet.  Sort of beats boring old sailing pics.  Turn up the volume LOUD!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2kIURKT9Aqu6cjmWCwx8jZ3k41ajjnGLpouPiqlWerXwlcJVeHNU-_X2s&v=T69xNoh7lOw

• Like 1