Jump to content

Show your boat sailing thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Patterson Bay Alaska.    

Boat sailing  Dog flying 

Penobscot Bay must have some of the best sailing in the world. It's the usual calm overnight that flattens our bay. The dawn bay water starts flat, like a freshly raked sand zen garden at first l

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I'm surprised you had trouble at St. Mary's. I thought the bottom had good holding.

I’ve had trouble setting there both times this year. This time was especially bad but it was exacerbated by the wind. I eventually moved up towards Tippity Wichity island where it wasn’t as brisk. 

All of this has to be qualified by the fact that I’ve only got ten feet of chain and it’s just a FX-16. The whole setup weighs 20lb. It is after all a racing boat that I keep insisting on cruising :lol:

However, of the eight or ten anchorages I’ve used this year from the Sassafras to the St. Mary's, I only dragged at St. Mary’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm surprised you had trouble at St. Mary's. I thought the bottom had good holding.

 

3 hours ago, Alaris said:

I’ve had trouble setting there both times this year. This time was especially bad but it was exacerbated by the wind. I eventually moved up towards Tippity Wichity island where it wasn’t as brisk. 

All of this has to be qualified by the fact that I’ve only got ten feet of chain and it’s just a FX-16. The whole setup weighs 20lb. It is after all a racing boat that I keep insisting on cruising :lol:

However, of the eight or ten anchorages I’ve used this year from the Sassafras to the St. Mary's, I only dragged at St. Mary’s. 

maybe the seaweed is making a comeback there?  It seems to be coming back in patches.  This summer is the first time I've seen the dark seaweed with the dark green round leaves on it that are about the size of a quarter.  I haven't seen that since the 70s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bgytr said:

 

maybe the seaweed is making a comeback there?  It seems to be coming back in patches.  This summer is the first time I've seen the dark seaweed with the dark green round leaves on it that are about the size of a quarter.  I haven't seen that since the 70s.

Sure a PITA while cruising but it would be good news for the Bay's health to have sea grass come back. What you're describing sounds more like some kind of duck weed though... no idea what it's effect is

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sure a PITA while cruising but it would be good news for the Bay's health to have sea grass come back. What you're describing sounds more like some kind of duck weed though... no idea what it's effect is

FB- Doug

Whatever it is, it used to line the shore of the rivers.  It was a great natural filter for silt runoff, and would knock down the chop before it hit the shore, slowing erosion.  It also was a habitat for fish and crabs, the crabs would go into the seaweed for protection to peel their old shells. By the 80s the weed was completely gone cuz of farm and development runoff.  This past summer was the first time I had seen it back- would be a good sign if it makes a comeback.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Whatever it is, it used to line the shore of the rivers.  It was a great natural filter for silt runoff, and would knock down the chop before it hit the shore, slowing erosion.  It also was a habitat for fish and crabs, the crabs would go into the seaweed for protection to peel their old shells. By the 80s the weed was completely gone cuz of farm and development runoff.  This past summer was the first time I had seen it back- would be a good sign if it makes a comeback.

My wife is peripherally involved in this. Sub-aquatic vegetation is making a comeback in the Chesapeake and this is bringing back the positive effects that you mentioned. Not all sub-aquatic vegetation is year-round. Some is seasonal.

For the first time in the 10 years I've owned my home, we've harvested crabs off our dock at the house. They were gangbusters. I brought up several mating pair (and promptly released them.)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, WindnCs said:

Hey Y'all,  finally got a shot of us sailing our Crealock 37. We bought her last year off the Ohio River in Louisville. She's been in fresh water for maybe 30yrs. She's in great shape, and we got her for a steal! We trucked her over to the Chesapeake. While we had the masts down we completely rewired them and hung all new Hella brand LEDs, a new B and G anemometer and a VHF/AIS antenna. We also repainted the masts (one coat of primer, two coats of EZPoxy Petit) which came out beautiful, and a list of other sundry projects. She's a cutter rigged yawl with a tiller,.. or  as I was corrected on here once, a two head sail yawl with a tiller. I like the first way, what's the consensus on that?

No Cunningham on the mizzen yet, and only an upper luff down haul/tensioner/Cunningham on the main so the sail shape leaves a little to be desired, but ya... we're getting her there slowly for her second sea trial. She has a lot of mysteries about her as she was basically a boat condo for many years on Kentucky Lake, and then the owner we bought her from didn't know much about her either. Some bastardization on her for sure in regards to the standing rigging and the spars but the puzzle is working it's self out.

 

Peace ~ WindandCsAnarchy_Resize.thumb.png.91545b06e0e1940990d140e0ff95c4da.png

She seems to me to be quietly whispering "I want to go offsshore. A long way offshore. And for a long time."

Or, in other words, "I want to be alone."

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ajax said:

My boat doesn't whisper that, it screams it in my ear constantly. :(

Ajax, if you treated your boat as a “she” with whom you are in a long-term relationship instead of “it”, would you be more inclined to listen???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Ajax, if you treated your boat as a “she” with whom you are in a long-term relationship instead of “it”, would you be more inclined to listen???

We're not allowed to do that anymore.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ships-gender-neutral-she-scottish-maritime-museum-irvine-a8884346.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Really? Are we now taking advice from the people who brought us Brexit?

Just playful sarcasm on my part. Hey, it's not just people on your side of the water.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Really? Are we now taking advice from the people who brought us Brexit?

Scottish Maritime Museum... over 60% of us voted against Brexit, we're just powerless to prevent it... Not that I can claim any great wisdom from these shores: we even let Trump build a damn golf course on a designated site of special scientific interest :-(

Cheers,

             W.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 10:42 PM, Black Sox said:

Ajax, if you treated your boat as a “she” with whom you are in a long-term relationship instead of “it”, would you be more inclined to listen???

A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An evening run (early last year) in light winds to Motuihe Island

Motuihe Island lies between Motutapu and Waiheke islands in the Hauraki Gulf of New Zealand, near Auckland.

Took a video too...one of my early efforts, shaky camera at times, music volume a little low...no threat do Delos or Vaginamite

Marcus and Zane.jpeg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@JRC026 Just fascinating. Did you make the sail or did you hire it out to a loft?

Giday, Ajax.  A South African friend of mine here in Auckland made the sail.  He has made many (including for his own boat), and it's a semi side business for him (though he doesn't actually advertise...the old 'word of mouth' thing going on), and he has made a few for international clients too. He charged me "Mates rates", but still cost me north of NZD$4.5K once you add in fabric, thread,  aluminium battens, labour. ( I have no idea how much a professionally made bermudan mainsail would cost for my Contessa).

The sail panels were made with camber (i.e cut with a 'barrel shape') built in, which greatly increases the drive of the sail to windward -- windward ability has always been the bane of junk rigged boats, until recently. 

Early European junk rigged sails (Blondie Haslar's 'Jester' for example) were cut with no camber - flat as a pancake, and did not perform well to windward...mind you B Haslar sailed his all over the Atlantic , as did Mike Richey...so I've got nothing on those blokes, despite my superior cut sail.

Interestingly, some offshore Junk rigged sailors still prefer flat cut sails - Shirley in the Vertue 25' 'Speedwell of Hong Kong' for instance, as they feel the flat sail is easier to control, the trade off being less performance.  Each to their own.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

@JRC026 Just fascinating. Did you make the sail or did you hire it out to a loft?

This vid, my maiden sail with the new rig, probably shows off the camber better... when the wind filled in.

Sail maker said the fabric, called Odyssey III, would fill with air from a fart.  Other fabrics, though longer lasting, take a bit more wind to full the cambered sail.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JRC026 said:

Oh yes, don't let any of my videos fool you...plenty of days of more wind than you'd typically want.

 

Why did you opt for a lighter sail material that may not last as long in your venue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 4:37 AM, Ajax said:

Why did you opt for a lighter sail material that may not last as long in your venue?

Was all my budget could afford at the time.  Plus, its good enough for now, as I figure out what I want over the next couple years as I potter up and down the coast . No doubt my next sail will be made with a heavier material...but not too heavy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, Black Sox said:

She seems to me to be quietly whispering "I want to go offsshore. A long way offshore. And for a long time."

Or, in other words, "I want to be alone."

She is! When she got close to saltwater you could feel her squirming on the jacks..."Let me go, put me in the water!!" When we sail her she's chomping at the bit go around the world, you can feel it... and she just might get the chance!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 6:34 AM, Ajax said:

My wife is peripherally involved in this. Sub-aquatic vegetation is making a comeback in the Chesapeake and this is bringing back the positive effects that you mentioned. Not all sub-aquatic vegetation is year-round. Some is seasonal.

For the first time in the 10 years I've owned my home, we've harvested crabs off our dock at the house. They were gangbusters. I brought up several mating pair (and promptly released them.)

Interesting Ajax! Where I am on the Bay the crabbers are reporting light catches this year. I've seen very few in the marina as well. I'm happy to hear you've seen some good crabbing in your area.

Growing up on the Bay in the 60s, 70s, and 80s ( it took me a long time to almost grow up!) I remember being able to catch crabs all day long from my dock. I also commercial crabbed as a young man, and worked at a crab house called Uell and Freemans. I would go to work at 11:00 pm pick up this old Vista Cruiser station wagon and drive out to the country to pick up all the ladies that picked. I'd bring them crabs all night and haul off their scrap, then take them home at noon the next day. I can pick a crab like no one's biz! The Bay was so different back then, clear water, teaming with wildlife, and much quieter. Huge Virginia Spot (two to the pound as we used to say), Croaker, Trout, Flounder, sometimes Skipjacks, Bonito, and huge Jimmy Dicks so heavy with meat  you could get almost a half pint out of one, they're nothing like that anymore. It was a fishing paradise! One very interesting and maybe tell tale sign is there were no Pelicans! Never in my years growing up there was there a Pelican anywhere to be seen! I saw dozens this weekend where we laid on the hook. I love to see them, but sometimes I wonder if I'm in Fla?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent a bunch of time this summer in Cat Harbor watching the pelicans.  At one point my 10-year old daughter, who sees everything from a somewhat different perspective, said: "Daddy, I think the pelicans are ashamed of their long beaks."  Now I can't see them any other way.  

308551390.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 7:40 AM, JRC026 said:

This vid, my maiden sail with the new rig, probably shows off the camber better... when the wind filled in.

Sail maker said the fabric, called Odyssey III, would fill with air from a fart.  Other fabrics, though longer lasting, take a bit more wind to full the cambered sail.

 

Very cool! Excellent reefing capabilities! Reminds me of the sail Roger Taylor built for his Ming Ming. Reefable right down to one panel. His is not as intricate as yours, but same idea. Thanks for that JRC! Good sailing to ya!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WindnCs said:

Very cool! Excellent reefing capabilities! Reminds me of the sail Roger Taylor built for his Ming Ming. Reefable right down to one panel. His is not as intricate as yours, but same idea. Thanks for that JRC! Good sailing to ya!

I honestly wouldn't go back to a bermudan rig if you paid me.  Then again, my priorities are different to others, but yes, reefing is so damn easy.

Each to their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JRC026 said:

I honestly wouldn't go back to a bermudan rig if you paid me.  Then again, my priorities are different to others, but yes, reefing is so damn easy.

Each to their own.

Question-  Do you never have to step on the cabin top? Any concerns about stepping on those solar panels?

The reason I ask is because I may end up installing a couple of panels in a similar area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Question-  Do you never have to step on the cabin top? Any concerns about stepping on those solar panels?

The reason I ask is because I may end up installing a couple of panels in a similar area.

Ajax! There are some vey rugged and high quality solar panels that can be walked on available from Coastal Climate Control. I believe they're up in your area as well. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.php/solar/solbian.html   Those are the Solbian brand, I've had my hands... and feet on them, they're quite rugged nice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JRC026 said:

I honestly wouldn't go back to a bermudan rig if you paid me.  Then again, my priorities are different to others, but yes, reefing is so damn easy.

Each to their own.

I've thought about that kind of rig many times JRC. I've been into Roger Taylor for years, he is who turned me on to that rig/sail. Not sure how well, or extensive a refit for a Crealock would be, I'll probs stick with my rig as it is, but will always be inspired and slightly envious of yours! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WindnCs said:

Ajax! There are some vey rugged and high quality solar panels that can be walked on available from Coastal Climate Control. I believe they're up in your area as well. https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.php/solar/solbian.html   Those are the Solbian brand, I've had my hands... and feet on them, they're quite rugged nice!

Ah, I bought a single Solbian panel from them and it was an absolute disaster. Yes, they are local to me. I went right to their shop.

The panel was a used, demonstrator which they did not disclose until I was walking out of the store with it. The panel was rated at 130 watts. The panel *never* produced more than 55 watts in the entire time I owned it, and that was once and only for a few seconds. It usually only put out 35 watts. I tried talking with their tech about it but he basically told me "You're doing it wrong."

I bought a 160 watt Renogy panel for 1/3 of the price, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, so the problem sure as hell isn't me.

I still have the Solbian panel. I use it to just keep my little pop-up camper battery topped off because that's all it's good for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Ah, I bought a single Solbian panel from them and it was an absolute disaster. Yes, they are local to me. I went right to their shop.

The panel was a used, demonstrator which they did not disclose until I was walking out of the store with it. The panel was rated at 130 watts. The panel *never* produced more than 55 watts in the entire time I owned it, and that was once and only for a few seconds. It usually only put out 35 watts. I tried talking with their tech about it but he basically told me "You're doing it wrong."

I bought a 160 watt Renogy panel for 1/3 of the price, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, so the problem sure as hell isn't me.

I still have the Solbian panel. I use it to just keep my little pop-up camper battery topped off because that's all it's good for.

Dang that sucks!!! I've talked with them a few times, we were discussing bringing them in as a "vendor" for us at Crutchfield. They were a little tough to talk with for us as well, it ultimately didn't work out. 

Glad the other panel is working for ya, I'll look them up. Can it be walked on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WindnCs said:

Glad the other panel is working for ya, I'll look them up. Can it be walked on?

Well...Renogy doesn't really recommend it:  https://www.renogy.com/solar-panels/flexible-solar-panels/

I think the issue is "point loading."   Don't let your stripper girlfriend do her twirls while wearing stiletto heels. I'm betting that it's safe to "occasionally" step on them momentarily with bare feet or a flat sole shoe such as flip flops or something that spreads the load.  I think Renogy is just shy and doesn't want to deal with a bunch of warranty issues.

The area where I would install these panels is on the cabin top and an area where I rarely step, even when flaking the mainsail.

There are a bunch of no-name Chinese vendors on Amazon selling flexible panels similar to Solbian and Renogy. I'm not sure these panels would take much abuse...like everything else, they're probably regarded as disposable due to the low cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one of these Gioco Flexible Solar Panel GSC 170 Watts Dimensions 60.3" x 26.4" from Pacific Yacht Systems.  as light as solbian but not as expensive...although still eye-wateringly expensive.  but the panel weighs about 5lbs instead of 45 which i needed to mound on my pop-up truck camper...but FUCK it was expensive.  did i mention it cost alot?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, chester said:

I bought one of these Gioco Flexible Solar Panel GSC 170 Watts Dimensions 60.3" x 26.4" from Pacific Yacht Systems.  as light as solbian but not as expensive...although still eye-wateringly expensive.  but the panel weighs about 5lbs instead of 45 which i needed to mound on my pop-up truck camper...but FUCK it was expensive.  did i mention it cost alot?

I would be very curious to know if there is a quality difference that would justify such an extreme difference in cost.  I wonder how I could test this out? I always prefer to pay more for a quality product, but I want proof of the quality, otherwise you're just paying for a label like Nike.

Solbian does state that you can carefully walk on their panels.

Renogy is a Canadian company but I'm pretty certain that the panels are made in China. Of course, the quality could still be high if Renogy holds the manufacturing facility to a standard, and implements stringent quality assurance checks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I would be very curious to know if there is a quality difference that would justify such an extreme difference in cost.  I wonder how I could test this out? I always prefer to pay more for a quality product, but I want proof of the quality, otherwise you're just paying for a label like Nike.

Solbian does state that you can carefully walk on their panels.

Renogy is a Canadian company but I'm pretty certain that the panels are made in China. Of course, the quality could still be high if Renogy holds the manufacturing facility to a standard, and implements stringent quality assurance checks.

F**K!  i thought i had researched this.  the thing is that usually the flexible panels were NOT monchrystaline where as that was the claim to fame of the solbians and gioco.  i did NOT see a mention of the renogy mono panels in the light flexible format in the 160-180 power range...god dammit :angry:.  I'm too embarrassed to say how much more i paid, let's just say " a lot".

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chester said:

F**K!  i thought i had researched this.  the thing is that usually the flexible panels were NOT monchrystaline where as that was the claim to fame of the solbians and gioco.  i did NOT see a mention of the renogy mono panels in the light flexible format in the 160-180 power range...god dammit :angry:.  I'm too embarrassed to say how much more i paid, let's just say " a lot".

The mono vs poly didn't seem to be the big determining factor in cost, but it was a contributor. The Solbian I bought was an obsolete model that was polycrystaline and it was still way more expensive than the Renogy panel I replaced it with.

Anyway, don't feel bad. I paid $500 for a fancy shaft coupling that I probably didn't need when I replace my log hose. We all get suckered once in awhile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

The mono vs poly didn't seem to be the big determining factor in cost, but it was a contributor. The Solbian I bought was an obsolete model that was polycrystaline and it was still way more expensive than the Renogy panel I replaced it with.

Anyway, don't feel bad. I paid $500 for a fancy shaft coupling that I probably didn't need when I replace my log hose. We all get suckered once in awhile.

thanks man  :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The mono vs poly didn't seem to be the big determining factor in cost, but it was a contributor. The Solbian I bought was an obsolete model that was polycrystaline and it was still way more expensive than the Renogy panel I replaced it with.

Anyway, don't feel bad. I paid $500 for a fancy shaft coupling that I probably didn't need when I replace my log hose. We all get suckered once in awhile.

on the plus side, i now have found this https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/ which is the perfect physical size and power output for the boat...for $180 CDN!

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my last sailing days of the season, crossing Penobscot bay from Vinalhaven to Stonington. When I am sailing alone I usually keep a few wraps on the jib furler so that I can see lobster pots more clearly under it, still, despite the light air, 10 or less, we're doing 7.4 knots. It got up to about 12 knots true when I approached Billings at the west end of the Deer Isle  Thorofare, and I was doing 8.5 knots. A smallish trawler yacht poked its nose out of Billings and clearly thought about jumping in front of me, then realized that they likely couldn't keep up, so they snapped pics of the idiot on the sailboat instead. 

 

IMG_1560.thumb.jpg.2eb51286319582b255182227c63ab3c6.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ajax said:

Well...Renogy doesn't really recommend it:  https://www.renogy.com/solar-panels/flexible-solar-panels/

I think the issue is "point loading."   Don't let your stripper girlfriend do her twirls while wearing stiletto heels. I'm betting that it's safe to "occasionally" step on them momentarily with bare feet or a flat sole shoe such as flip flops or something that spreads the load.  I think Renogy is just shy and doesn't want to deal with a bunch of warranty issues.

The area where I would install these panels is on the cabin top and an area where I rarely step, even when flaking the mainsail.

There are a bunch of no-name Chinese vendors on Amazon selling flexible panels similar to Solbian and Renogy. I'm not sure these panels would take much abuse...like everything else, they're probably regarded as disposable due to the low cost.

Lol! I let my stripper girlfriend do whatever she wants!! ;) Thanks for the tip, I'm looking into the renogy panels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ajax said:

Question-  Do you never have to step on the cabin top? Any concerns about stepping on those solar panels?

The reason I ask is because I may end up installing a couple of panels in a similar area.

Hey AJax.
Rarely.. And when I do, they are 'non skid' panels to avoid me slip sliding away.  Bought them here in NZ.  Chinese made no doubt, but appear to be good quality.  https://goflexsolar.co.nz/ourproducts/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WindnCs said:

I've thought about that kind of rig many times JRC. I've been into Roger Taylor for years, he is who turned me on to that rig/sail. Not sure how well, or extensive a refit for a Crealock would be, I'll probs stick with my rig as it is, but will always be inspired and slightly envious of yours! :)

Yeah start small -  convert some spare little 16-18 sailboat for pottering about ...see if you like the rig and it's nuances.  It isn't for everyone, and I am not the type of guy says my rig is "best".  It's just best for me at this time.

Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, Ajax said:

Well...Renogy doesn't really recommend it:  https://www.renogy.com/solar-panels/flexible-solar-panels/

I think the issue is "point loading."   Don't let your stripper girlfriend do her twirls while wearing stiletto heels. I'm betting that it's safe to "occasionally" step on them momentarily with bare feet or a flat sole shoe such as flip flops or something that spreads the load.  I think Renogy is just shy and doesn't want to deal with a bunch of warranty issues.

The area where I would install these panels is on the cabin top and an area where I rarely step, even when flaking the mainsail.

There are a bunch of no-name Chinese vendors on Amazon selling flexible panels similar to Solbian and Renogy. I'm not sure these panels would take much abuse...like everything else, they're probably regarded as disposable due to the low cost.

Lol! I let my stripper girlfriend do whatever she wants!! ;) Thanks for the tip, I'm looking into the renogy panels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the guy I bought her from at the helm and his girl. I think he was just island hopping back then. He sailed her to Cuba 13 times, and all over the Caribbean for 15 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WindnCs said:

Bella sailing resize.jpg

Ah, that's lovely.

If I ever buy another boat (which I damn well better not), I'd like a cutter.  I realize that's not a cutter, I'm just looking at the forward section.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The end of the sailing season here has come early in 2020. I'm still in the water ready to sail but the weather seems to have skipped October, which is one of my favorite months out of 5 on the water.

The light is still beautiful -but, if it's cloudy, a November monochrome takes over. I can't wring out a drop of blue or green even with Adobe Lightroom. Only man-made objects appear in color on the B&W background. 

My dog scans a gray Penobscot Bay for the occasional creature that will break through the mercurial surface and scare the living daylights out of him. Nature is done with 2020. 

1543027875_TommyOctobergray.thumb.jpg.609a922c220bca5691eb7db3c6602042.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

We skipped fall here, too. Last week it was 20+, this week it's rain and 8. Celsius, of course. This is three years in a row that it suddenly turned into early winter. 

I thought we had a very nice First Nations Summer this year.

Almost November and the maples are only recently in full colour

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 7:33 AM, Ajax said:

Ah, that's lovely.

If I ever buy another boat (which I damn well better not), I'd like a cutter.  I realize that's not a cutter, I'm just looking at the forward section.

I used to call her a cutter rigged yawl, but I was corrected on here once and told it's a "yawl with a double headsail". I still call her a cutter rigged yawl. This is my first cutter, and I have to say I was pretty stoked that when to windward the staysail added over a knot easily  and really helped balance the helm!

Get one Ajax, no matter what your shoulder angel tells you, listen to the shoulder boat devil! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Black Sox said:

What is it about a decent mug of coffee and the sea? Why does that say Perfection?

One of my favorite things in the world, is the ritual of morning coffee at anchor.  The smell, the morning silence and the sunrise. It sets my blood pressure right for the entire day.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kolibri said:

Accidentally posted this in the "not sailing" thread so here's a bonus shot too.

 

 

pm_201025_0076.jpg

pm_201025_0112.jpg

We've probably asked this a bunch of times, but what kind of boat? I love the wood trim and the forward-looking cabin port.  Nice, open deck space, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Black Sox said:

What is it about a decent mug of coffee and the sea? Why does that say Perfection?

I don't know why, but you're right.

337532_102913439819427_1941072138_o.thumb.jpg.2ebe634dc9e773e6bfc1706ad3b9be62.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ajax said:

We've probably asked this a bunch of times, but what kind of boat? I love the wood trim and the forward-looking cabin port.  Nice, open deck space, too.

Thanks. Kolibri is a 1981 Morris Annie 29'. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is not my boat, but it sure was fun chasing her down on Saturday afternoon to check her out & get a few photos. I'm pretty sure she's a Nimble 30.

 

 

pm_201025_0040.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 2:27 AM, SloopJonB said:

That's about as good as it gets.

there is a deduction for the painter should we be talkin perfection .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That is pure MaineBoatPorn. Pefection.

Thanks, there is a huge advantage, so far as getting sailing pics, to owning a boat like her - the sailing paparazzi always hound the pretty girls. Please remember, if you are ever on our side at the right time of year, a sail is yours for the asking. 

 

50 minutes ago, Mid said:

there is a deduction for the painter should we be talkin perfection .

I'm sure you know that the dinghy was required by the race rules. The same invite as above applies to you, naturally. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm sure you know that the dinghy was required by the race rules.

tbh I did not . Guess that's you absolved . :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mid said:

tbh I did not . Guess that's you absolved . :)

Thanks. Out of ideological purity, the dink was wood, as well. When cruising, we fly the ensign.IMG_1419.thumb.jpg.4f0cb22c4f4257b70e26643cee9052c8.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites