whats the story behind this photo?

PinkSpinnaker

I was looking at the sale ad for her and was wondering the same thing. asset forfeiture sale is my guess. not sure she ended up that way though. I know she and one other AC boat came to chicago from I believe san diego.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is one of the two "Formula One" boats that DC Sports used to run corporate team building training on. Tony Castro (?) design, built for a short lived pro sailing tour.

We had a boat here for the last 10 years called Formula one. Now in Tauranga it's about 50', is that what you are talking about?

Might be same hull. There was a short lived pro race circuit with these boats. A quick google search only came up with one old ad for an impounded hull here in San Diego. 52' length, low freeboard, weighted daggerboard keel, twin rudder. Designed to ride around on a road trailer between events. Frac rig, no interior or headroom.

Castro design if memory serves. 6-8 built???

Might be same hull. There was a short lived pro race circuit with these boats. A quick google search only came up with one old ad for an impounded hull here in San Diego. 52' length, low freeboard, weighted daggerboard keel, twin rudder. Designed to ride around on a road trailer between events. Frac rig, no interior or headroom.

No, here is the yacht world ad: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994/Goetz-Custom-Sail-%2334-3033514/Chicago/IL/United-States#.WGR3RBsrLIU

Note in the photos what boat is next to it. I wonder if the enterprise went belly up and they owed some people money and had the US Marshals seize it.

That sounds like her. Retro fitted with tp52 rig and proper keel, she sailed in auck for years. Sold for next to nothing.

OK, quick review here. This hull is not one of the Tony Castro-designed Formula 1 drop-keel boats from the late 1980s, constructed for the World Yachting Grand Prix international circuit started by former Aussie America's Cup skipper Noel Robiins. Dennis Conner owned one and raced it in the series which only lasted two years. He later bought a second F1, repainted it in S&S livery and trailed both boats around the US for corporate fund-raising regattas.

RImike has the correct answer: Linked to his post -- America's Cup yacht Stars & Stripes (sail number 34) is probably most famous for not winning a Cup. It wasn't because she didn't perform under pressure, but because she never got the chance. While the 24 meter yacht, designed by David Peddic (sic) and built in 1994 by Goetz Boat Works, won the right to defend the Cup, Dennis Conner chose Young America (US 36) over Stars & Stripes. The new choice was no match for Team New Zealand's Black Magic, which beat out Team Dennis Conner four times in a row.

I'd like to know what happened. Obviously the effort in Chicago using the Cup boats Stars & Stripes and Abracadabra for tourist sailing failed to make a go of it. Here in Auckland there are two IACC yachts moored in the Viaduct Basin. Painted in Team New Zealand colours but I'm uncertain of their hull numbers. One may be a former Japanese contender. Year after year they take punters sailing summer and winter for two hours at a time. https://www.everythingnewzealand.com/sailing-sail-nz-americas-cup-yacht-auckland-1039/

Archived