Sydney to Hobart 2017

dachopper

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the picture sequence of Black Jack is correct BJ has shaken out the first reef in the main. Otherwise they just put one in.

Stacking is fine, just ask Matt Allen.

Just now, RKoch said:

Might just be a tracker glitch. The official tracker page indicates a large number of 'estimated positions', including C and WO. 

Yes I think you might be right. 

WO appears to be able to run 5 to 6 degrees lower than Comanche as she needs to keep the 20 to 25 degree angle of heel to reduce the wetted surface area.

So that works out that Comanche needs to consistently be about 1.1 to 1.2 knot faster in boat speed.

2 minutes ago, Handley Richard said:

CYCA tracker has both WOXI and the Indian on deduced reckoning.  Same with Info, Beau, Wizard and WOX.  seems all leaders (except BJ) have gone stealth!

Yep didn't see that. Makes sense everything happened so quickly it was like Comanche stopped in the water. 

Shit way to go out! Do you still race to find out where you'd be or start cracking out the chocolate & put the music on?

"The Victorian yacht Jazz Player is the second retirement from the Rolex Sydney Hobart. Under race rules she cannot proceed in the race past Green Cape without an operating HF radio. She is still heading for Hobart though" 

7 minutes ago, random said:

Human Powered winches are fine.  Fucking stink boats should be banned for the S2H.

1,000,001, Jesus titty H Christ :lol:

5 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Stupid requirement when Jazz Player could probably report that their HF is down by calling on their sat phone. Thankfully ORCV has done away with the HF requirement for the M2H

Esp when as Above WOXI & Ran got through. 

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Comanche will want to round the corner in front to enjoy a reach all the way to the river entrance. This is where she can extend to buy herself sometime for the Derwent driftalon home

FIFY, I am afraid...

1 hour ago, HMM263 said:

I think the 1st gen factor is neither here nor there considering she's going to smash her own previous best by a factor of hours.

This may well be her fastest outing, but in previous outings there was daylight between her and mini maxis. Today they are right up her clacker, suggesting in the race conditions to date at least, she is suffering first generation RP blues.

Harburg took that risk thinking quite correctly that the probability of a repeat or better of last years conditions, either this year or over the next few editions was very low, if non existant. The time taken for  Kialoa's record and then WOXI's to fall supports that. 

Unfortunately he was dead wrong.

Clark probably came to the same conclusion in deciding to sell the Indian before this race. He and his child bride are probably in the foetal position sobbing pools of regret as I speak.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

This may well be her fastest outing, but in previous outings there was daylight between her and mini maxis. Today they are right up her clacker, suggesting in the race conditions to date at least, she is suffering first generation RP blues.

Harburg took that risk thinking quite correctly that the probability of a repeat or better of last years conditions, either this year or over the next few editions was very low, if non existant. The time taken for  Kialoa's record and then WOXI's to fall supports that. 

Clark probably came to the same conclusion in deciding to sell the Indian before this race. He and his child bride are probably in the foetal position sobbing pools of regret as I speak.

Not sure Clark would be too worried it was still his boat, his brainchild. With the world 24 hour speed record and the Trans race record just to name a few the Indian has proven herself time and time again. She needs to wins this one to round it all off with the record

47 minutes ago, bayboy said:

River still like glass, going to be a ripping finish, what a crap time to lend a video camera out grrrr.

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The Derwent has enough breeze if she gets there before late night

I would hope so, but are you sure?  

49 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Under race rules she cannot proceed in the race past Green Cape without an operating HF radio

Thats pretty fucked. Do they insist upon a DSC HF or is a voice only old shitter still OK. If so then not allowing a sat phone as back up that they can call SAR direct and arguably more reliable than HF voice, is fuckin insane.

51 minutes ago, AWASP said:

1,000,001, Jesus titty H Christ :lol:

Can the few that are quoting the fuckwit, please stop feeding the troll? 

Thanks 

3 miles the difference. Oats only minutes behind this is going to be huge. Comanche needs to round the corner in front and use her reaching speed to gain some more miles before the river. We need a telecast for this one

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That’s a big insinuation! 

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thats pretty fucked. Do they insist upon a DSC HF or is a voice only old shitter still OK. If so then not allowing a sat phone as back up that they can call SAR direct and arguably more reliable than HF voice, is fuckin insane.

Fitted after certain date has to be DSC from memory. They might have changed it to everyone has DSC. 

I wonder if Jazz would know about WOXI & Ran getting away with it. Might have changed their mind!

11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Not sure Clark would be too worried it was still his boat, his brainchild.

You sure with a big empty spot in his trophy room that he had specialy built, and marked "S2H Race Record, Never to be Broken"?

I suppose he could put nudie pics of the missus there to compensate in the envy department when his mates drop by.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You sure with a big empty spot in his trophy room that he had specialy built, and marked "S2H Race Record, Never to be Broken"?

I suppose he could nudie pics of the missus there to compensate in the envy department when his mates drop by.

Ha Ha..! Couldn't have cared too much if he wanted to sell it. Time to move on he's thinking, getting older different priorities. can she hang on jack?

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Time to move on he's thinking, getting older different priorities. can she hang on jack?

What like design and build the world's largest mausoleum to take the big sleep in? 

Can she hang on? I don't think he bucks that hard now surely?

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I suppose he could put nudie pics of the missus there to compensate in the envy department when his mates drop by.

Maybe next to his supply of blue pills. Was Clark on Comanche for the 24hr record. Syd was older than Clark & he still sailed on the boat & even had a drive of the 100' with his legionnaires hat on! 

1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Maybe next to his supply of blue pills. Was Clark on Comanche for the 24hr record. Syd was older than Clark & he still sailed on the boat & even had a drive of the 100' with his legionnaires hat on! 

I don't think Clark did much sailing on comanche..

Just now, Sugarscoop said:

They should round the corner side by side. 

Two miles isn't side by side. Be interesting to see what Comanche can do in 30 miles across storm bay.

Bruce still steaming! (Chutzpah)! 

Hopefully they can make the most of it current forecast/model showes wind all the way behind them even up the river. 

Fingers crossed! 

Also - after 10 years how can they not sort out this damn tracker! It was shit from day one and it’s still shit today. 

Everything back up for me now, just wouldn't reload for a few minutes...  Hope Sailor girl gets onto a boat and can stream the last bit up the funnel...

Further they go into Storm Bay the lighter it will get and the more on the nose as they get to the river.  Tactics are going to be something to watch in the next few hours!

Trying to picture the gybing duel that's been going on between these two over the last 2 hours...in 35-45 true..The pictures and video from above are going to be ridiculous. 

"Shit Jimmy we're only going 28 we need to step it up a bit"

7 minutes ago, ASP said:

Two miles isn't side by side. Be interesting to see what Comanche can do in 30 miles across storm bay.

Yep that's it has been Wild Oats conditions for a while now once the Indian rounds the corner a broad reach in plenty of pressure should see her extend. Not the time you want the tracker down..!

3 minutes ago, ALGEDI said:

live helicopter footage just on channel 7 of Comanche around Tasman Island. Reefed main & twisted jib blast reaching with water flying heading up storm bay. 

Sorry I'm not watching Andrew O'Keefe just for that! 

29 minutes ago, mad said:

That’s a big insinuation! 

Mad I don't believe there is anything unpleasant there, but yes if you mean deduced and expressed. 

I tried to secure quotes from the two parties to provide the irrefutable support always demanded on opinion pieces shouted across this busy bar, however to no avail. 

One wouldn't answer his HF, which I suspect because it is in with the stack getting giddy and for the other it would have taken me 6 hours to walk from the front gate to his front door, by then the 100' chase would be over.

Cheers.

Archived