Butch Trucks DTS

dacapo

Just watched the Dan Rather Big Interview last night with Greg....who, remarkably, got sober and clean twenty years ago and is in great shape. Seminal American band-Watkins Glen, Allmans, Band, Dead,,,,possibly music Nirvana, but there were too many damn people to really enjoy it!

I have seen Butch's nephew, Derek Trucks play with Clapton a couple of times. He is a damn fine guitarist.

The Allman Brothers band was definitely one of the best of their era.

That album cover looks surreal...... Until you see the watermelon, and peach trucks in real life.

That sucks.

He wrote this terrific letter to the NYT review of books some years ago, he was a very thoughtful guy. So sorry it came to that.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E0D91131F93BA35756C0A9639C8B63

I did a lot of work with suicide when I was in mental health. Although I am against suicide in principle, I accept the idea that people have a fundamental right to end their ow life. He must have been in a tremendous amount emotional pain to do it front of a family member. It is traumatic enough to find the body afterward but to actually witness the act...

Suicide is definitely someone's prerogative but gawddamn . . .

At least be considerate about it.

and don't leave a mess.

take all your useless shit to the dump first

notify the postal service, cancel the newspaper, turn off the coffee maker,

What am I forgetting ?

What's up, CL ??? Long time . . .

Christ, this makes me so freaking sad...

Just saw him a month or so ago with the Freight Train Band at a little venue in MA- He was playing great- just as intense as with the Allman Brothers Band. He even sang lead on a song ("Highway 61 Revisited" maybe?) and intro-ed it by saying something to the effect of "I'm not a great singer but neither was Dylan; Besides this is my band, I'm 69 years old, and I don't give a shit!" Delivered with a big smile and a laugh and of course with that great southern accent of his. The place went wild.

Anyway he seemed to be having a ball working the crowd and of course playing.

So sad to hear that this is how his story closed. Play on man....

Suicide is definitely someone's prerogative but gawddamn . . .

At least be considerate about it.

and don't leave a mess.

take all your useless shit to the dump first

notify the postal service, cancel the newspaper, turn off the coffee maker,

What am I forgetting ?

What's up, CL ??? Long time . . .

Man, I have been to SOOO MANY suicides over the years. Many attempts (both legitimate attempts and drama attempts) as well. I'm still somewhat puzzled about that state of mind. Some very carefully planned including arrangements for someone other than family to "find" the body, and others seemed/looked very impulsive but still very committed to the outcome. All ages, all backgrounds, all methods......it's kinda scary because it's hard to tell when it's gonna happen. At first my reaction was always very critical......as time went by and I went to more of them, it became just very sad and puzzling. One thing I'm sure of......it's not a rational or reasonable decision that most people somehow make "callously" without regard for others. Something goes terribly wrong in the decision making.......

On a somewhat warped note......some are really so odd they are sorta "funny".....I have laughed at a few.

I did a lot of work with suicide when I was in the Army. It is definitely a terrible thing. You have to consider the mindset of a potential suicide, the thoughts of desperation that their situation is so unsolvable, in their mind. Of course they are not thinking rationally, or they would have found an alternate solution. In the depths of a crisis or sever depression, rationality goes out the window.

In my mind early intervention is the key. In the classes I would do, I taught soldiers how to recognize the signs and symptoms of suicide. Verbal clues, unusual behaviors, etc. The key is to ask the person what is happening and to ask directly if they are contemplating suicide. You would be surprised how often the person is grateful that you asked, they see that someone cares about them. When people start talking about hurting themselves,etc., it is a plea for help. They can't ask directly for whatever reason so they use indirect methods.

Every person that commits suicide has their own reasons, rational in the case of a terminal illness for example, or often irrational, my boyfriend brroke uo with me.. The point is, that a person thinking about suicide is in some situation, that to them is critical and unsolvable. You have to approach it from their view,even if to you the reason sounds silly. Most suicidal people, if approached with empathy and concern will accept your help. Many suicidal people are not completely interested in dying, they just don't know what else to do.

The most dangerous situation is the person than has made up their mind, they perceive their solution as the only one to their situation and they don't talk about it. They go somewhere quietly and they kill themselves. This is especially true of men, men complete more suicides and use more lethal means, women attempt more often and use less lethal means.

BLUF: People contemplating suicide are often irrational and in a crisis. You have to understand from their view. Often people signal their intentions. Always take the signs and symptoms of suicide seriously, don't mock the person or ignore them. Be aware of the signs and offer help and if necessary seek professional intervention. It may sound melodramatic but by being aware and empathetic you can literally help save a life.

Archived