LIke the price of slips is not high enough already

Foreverslow

Now we are going to have rich tools grabbing slips for boats they do not use increasing demand.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-10/preppers-stuck-cities-elite-chartering-getaway-boats-case-manhattan-emergency

holy fuck !! thanks for bringing this to our attention....

I'm going to save this in the same file I have "dream catchers...the next line of defense", and "how to use a tampon if you have a gun shot wound", and "fluoride...the silent killer and mind control potion".

I mean who knew thousands of rich people are prepping boats for a fast get-a-way ??

Oh wait....it's only 2 people in New Jersey are doing this ??.....

Slow day in Virginia ?? or is it foreverslow in VA ?

I see no evidence of the fan existing or any shit gathering to head toward it but... after heading about three mikes into any unmolested forest I am confident I won't be seeing anyone but an occasional fellow former Boy Scoit hermit for years.

the strategy won't work because global warming will cause the sea level to rise and all the marinas will have to be relocated which the environmentalists will oppose so it will be the end of all marinas.

the strategy won't work because global warming will cause the sea level to rise and all the marinas will have to be relocated which the environmentalists will oppose so it will be the end of all marinas.

The bottom of my driveway could be waterfront in a few centuries.

Can you imagine the collisions and traffic jams on the water created by clueless, wealthy people trying operate large power yachts to escape a calamity in New York City?

I'm literally laughing as I type this.

I do cringe a little at the thought of how a prolonged crisis would affect the Chesapeake Bay. The mobo crowd would be like the "smokers" from Waterworld.

The bottom of my driveway could be waterfront in a few centuries.

That. But it might not be centuries...

Can you imagine the collisions and traffic jams on the water created by clueless, wealthy people trying operate large power yachts to escape a calamity in New York City?

I'm literally laughing as I type this.

I do cringe a little at the thought of how a prolonged crisis would affect the Chesapeake Bay. The mobo crowd would be like the "smokers" from Waterworld.

I'm not particularly fond of New York City,but to be fair, at times they can be surprisingly civilized and resourceful. Take a look at this : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eddie-rosenstein/tom-hanks-narrates-boatlift_b_956529.html

Pretty funny- I'm not a prepper but I've already figured out which boats I'd steal as soon as the shit hits the fan...

I work in DC and have a good idea what kind of Charlie Foxtrot it would be if there was ever a mass evacuation.

I too have eyeballed the options at the local marina. Get across and down the river just a few miles and my sisters house is an easy walk.

I'm 5 miles west of the bay of Green Bay..

I've dug holes to plant trees, its mostly sand, and have found shells, there is history...

Global warming=beach front property......

Escape? I've actually wasted time plotting out the new coastline if the Antarctic melts. Looks like pretty groovy new cruising grounds to me! Cool new inland sea where the Willamette Valley used to be. As far as I can see, it won't quite hook up to the Salish Sea though. Still no beachfront on my property, but I might be able to keep the boat two miles away instead of eight. The only problem is that I'll be 1000 years dead.

Escape? I've actually wasted time plotting out the new coastline if the Antarctic melts. Looks like pretty groovy new cruising grounds to me! Cool new inland sea where the Willamette Valley used to be. As far as I can see, it won't quite hook up to the Salish Sea though. Still no beachfront on my property, but I might be able to keep the boat two miles away instead of eight. The only problem is that I'll be 1000 years dead old.

Pessimist.

take it for what it is worth.

Just think of every piece of trash water front that has disappeared before your eyes.

Every time, it was some rich assholes who didn't know jack about boats and priced everyone out.

So why would they not do it again?

It doesn't matter if it is viable.

Can someone sell a concept to a tool with too much money?

If so, the demand on marinas in cities will increase.

As for zerohedge, well you didn't have trouble when they broke the USCG funding article last week did you?

Personally I could give a shit less.

My boat is 200 yards away from my home/office.

Disregard such trends at your own risk..

Pretty funny- I'm not a prepper but I've already figured out which boats I'd steal as soon as the shit hits the fan...

Mine is a 3 minute drive from my house and its good to go so I figure I can get there before you poachers!!! But Mrs PB pointed out that we are NOT leaving the children and grandchildren behind. The dog and I will miss her................. :lol:

I think this is a brilliant business model.

1) Buy a bunch of 20' ski boats, for bubkis

2)sell 'access' to them for $90,000/year.

3) laugh ridiculously hard at the suckers you sold boats 'access' to for more than the boat is worth.

You can pick these things up in bulk in the SE every fall for 50% their new price as people who bout them realized they haven't used them more than one weekend over the summer.

Heck you probably don't even need that many boats. A couple of show room ones to sell to people, and a flotilla of barely functioning hulls in the event something actually happens.

I'm a 3 minute drive to the boatyard, which 9 months of the year has a full selection of sail and power boats, all fueled and ready (more or less) for launch. I also have the keys and knowledge for both of the yardbosses and both cranes. The tricky part would be using Mrs Nettles as ground crew.

I've had my eye on a J-46 with a watermaker for years in the event of such an occasion.

I think this is a brilliant business model.

1) Buy a bunch of 20' ski boats, for bubkis

2)sell 'access' to them for $90,000/year.

3) laugh ridiculously hard at the suckers you sold boats 'access' to for more than the boat is worth.

You can pick these things up in bulk in the SE every fall for 50% their new price as people who bout them realized they haven't used them more than one weekend over the summer.

Heck you probably don't even need that many boats. A couple of show room ones to sell to people, and a flotilla of barely functioning hulls in the event something actually happens.

http://www.pacificboatclub.com/index.htm

I'm 5 miles west of the bay of Green Bay..

I've dug holes to plant trees, its mostly sand, and have found shells, there is history...

Global warming=beach front property......

I found a 350 million year old piece of fossilized coral while fishing for trout in a stream in Northwest Pennsylvania! That was an eyeopener.

Archived