Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 1/22/2019 at 7:17 PM, Raz'r said:

was part of it due to the ubiquitous "chopper gun" manner of boatbuilding? Takes a whole lot more solid core of chopper layup compared to a fiber-aligned - core panel.

Possibly. I didn't mention it in the Colgate thread but one of the things they're quite proud of up at Precision Boatworks is that the company does not own a chopper gun, never has, never will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Paps,      When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

 

Paps,

     When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked ad I found that my memory must not be as bad as some claim.

     I knew the owners of CUCHARA long ago in Coral Bay. I was out in Hurricane Hole in my motor dinghy diving lobster holes I think when I noticed a guy ashore on a leeward reef/beach that was right downwind of the deep creeks and holes that are so well protected and prized as storm anchorages. The hard rocky shore he was on is hard to access but not unusual to see locals picking whelk on such remote unvisited beaches. As I got closer I noticed a dinghy pulled up and a Honda small genset on the shore and the guy had an orange extension cord snaking across the stones to and old wreck of an ancient steam powered yacht that had gotten blown out of one of the safe holes many years earlier. About the only thing left of that wreck was the keel and the boiler and steam engine and I could see the guy wielding a SawsAll and he was cutting away bronze pipe, valves and manifolds and loading them into the dinghy!  The dinghy was marked TT CUCHARA and I left the guy to his labors even though I was tempted to try and negotiate the tiny channel through the coral that he had used to get to the shore. I figured my curiosity would be rewarded with helping him lug the overloaded dinghy down off the shore and into the water and he hadn't noticed my approach over the sound of his genset and SawsAll.

    Later that afternoon I saw him heading back home to the mothership well up into Coral Harbor from my mooring in Johnson's Bay. He had made quite a haul and his old lady had a halyard ready to help him haul his bronze bounty aboard. I saw him heading back to the wreck the next morning so decided to snorkle the coral heads off of his little hidden scrap yard in the hopes of some lobster. I anchored well off and checked the heads and nooks and crannies and only saw small undersized bugs and then swam up the cleft through which he was using to land his dinghy. He was still cutting away and going for the heavier bronze items and was pretty spooked when I walked up and he finally noticed me. I found out later that his salvage on a National Park Beach would be frowned upon by any Park Ranger or even the VI Department of Parks and Natural Resources who both often butted heads with each other over that bit of beach which was right on the boundary of the National Park and in perpetual dispute. He stopped and we chatted and he told me he had found a small family backyard foundry near the marina in Venezuela where he had sat out hurricane season the year before. He had broken a club jib gooseneck fitting that had been cast in cheap SS and he was trying to get it welded and was taking it from shop to shop among the cottage industry shops that spring up around a yachty marina in the third world. One guy told him that he could use the original fitting and make a sand casting mold and pour one from scrap bronze cheaper and would be more durable that the dubious SS that was original. That led to more various fittings being replaced in that manner and when he found this stash of bronze available for the sweat of cutting and hauling off he could not resist. His goal was to replace all the SS with the bronze and from the looks of the photos in the brokerage ad he seems to have succeeded. He and his wife were amazing artists and funded their travels and lifestyle on the boat by making jewelry and other goods they could sell the tourists along the way.  Just look at what they did with the interior and you can see they are masters of FOT, (Found Object Technology).

image.png.e63af768790f1a14d0636c0a65ba4634.png

    They loved natural fibers and bamboo and this wall sconce using Calabash gourds was a big seller of theirs. There was a tiny community just past Coral Bay called Calabash Boom and I'm sure that they did much of their lampshade harvesting from there. If only that wasn't a WetSnail that they had lavished their talents on...

image.png.765a7e9a169c13f056276ce8b1f7dbd4.png

I think it would be the first time I really mean it if I said "Cool story bro.  Tell it again".  

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

Possibly. I didn't mention it in the Colgate thread but one of the things they're quite proud of up at Precision Boatworks is that the company does not own a chopper gun, never has, never will.

I like Precisions, they are well built boats IMHO. They also had good sense to hire Jim Taylor to design for them.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, Rasputin22 said:

 

Paps,

     When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked ad I found that my memory must not be as bad as some claim.

     I knew the owners of CUCHARA long ago in Coral Bay. I was out in Hurricane Hole in my motor dinghy diving lobster holes I think when I noticed a guy ashore on a leeward reef/beach that was right downwind of the deep creeks and holes that are so well protected and prized as storm anchorages. The hard rocky shore he was on is hard to access but not unusual to see locals picking whelk on such remote unvisited beaches. As I got closer I noticed a dinghy pulled up and a Honda small genset on the shore and the guy had an orange extension cord snaking across the stones to and old wreck of an ancient steam powered yacht that had gotten blown out of one of the safe holes many years earlier. About the only thing left of that wreck was the keel and the boiler and steam engine and I could see the guy wielding a SawsAll and he was cutting away bronze pipe, valves and manifolds and loading them into the dinghy!  The dinghy was marked TT CUCHARA and I left the guy to his labors even though I was tempted to try and negotiate the tiny channel through the coral that he had used to get to the shore. I figured my curiosity would be rewarded with helping him lug the overloaded dinghy down off the shore and into the water and he hadn't noticed my approach over the sound of his genset and SawsAll.

    Later that afternoon I saw him heading back home to the mothership well up into Coral Harbor from my mooring in Johnson's Bay. He had made quite a haul and his old lady had a halyard ready to help him haul his bronze bounty aboard. I saw him heading back to the wreck the next morning so decided to snorkle the coral heads off of his little hidden scrap yard in the hopes of some lobster. I anchored well off and checked the heads and nooks and crannies and only saw small undersized bugs and then swam up the cleft through which he was using to land his dinghy. He was still cutting away and going for the heavier bronze items and was pretty spooked when I walked up and he finally noticed me. I found out later that his salvage on a National Park Beach would be frowned upon by any Park Ranger or even the VI Department of Parks and Natural Resources who both often butted heads with each other over that bit of beach which was right on the boundary of the National Park and in perpetual dispute. He stopped and we chatted and he told me he had found a small family backyard foundry near the marina in Venezuela where he had sat out hurricane season the year before. He had broken a club jib gooseneck fitting that had been cast in cheap SS and he was trying to get it welded and was taking it from shop to shop among the cottage industry shops that spring up around a yachty marina in the third world. One guy told him that he could use the original fitting and make a sand casting mold and pour one from scrap bronze cheaper and would be more durable that the dubious SS that was original. That led to more various fittings being replaced in that manner and when he found this stash of bronze available for the sweat of cutting and hauling off he could not resist. His goal was to replace all the SS with the bronze and from the looks of the photos in the brokerage ad he seems to have succeeded. He and his wife were amazing artists and funded their travels and lifestyle on the boat by making jewelry and other goods they could sell the tourists along the way.  Just look at what they did with the interior and you can see they are masters of FOT, (Found Object Technology).

image.png.e63af768790f1a14d0636c0a65ba4634.png

    They loved natural fibers and bamboo and this wall sconce using Calabash gourds was a big seller of theirs. There was a tiny community just past Coral Bay called Calabash Boom and I'm sure that they did much of their lampshade harvesting from there. If only that wasn't a WetSnail that they had lavished their talents on...

image.png.765a7e9a169c13f056276ce8b1f7dbd4.png

Hi Raster, what a great story, thanks. She is magnificent and a great example of a non traditional boat fitout. I am not really familiar with the W43's are they really that sluggish?

A couple more links.
https:/https://books.google.com.au/books?id=FliuH2FT8-0C&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=CUCHARA+yacht&source=bl&ots=0TRQk8O-aG&sig=ACfU3U2ZvL04AHTYsbwrgcFpzgWRQ0rYOg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8kbny74ngAhWFF3IKHW-CAPQQ6AEwDnoECBQQAQ#v=onepage&q=CUCHARA yacht&f=false/www.cruisingworld.com/how/sanctuary-within

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/westsail-43-3096603/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Paps!

     The 43's were not so bad as their predecessors.  There was a guy who did top shelf daycharters out of Caneel Bay in one but there was usually pretty good wind there. The other boat that he shared the daysail concession was a Hinckley B-40 and they of course were always trying to outdo the other boat. Pretty even match unless the B-40 could crank up the centerboard on a reach which the skipper rarely did on a daily basis. The executive chef at Caneel was good buddies with the Westsail skipper and he had a sweet scaled down version of a Herreshoff Ketch, like a mini-Ticonderoga but only about 38'. The design name was NEREIA and in the evening on Thursdays I think it was, all three boats (and often others) would do a rowdy cocktail cruise for the charter company and hotel staff along with any other scalawags that happened to get shanghaied by the press gang. 

Image result for herreshoff nereia ketch

 

    The course was around the three small keys that sat right out in front of Caneel which made for a challenge due to weird sometimes contradictory currents. Add to the general state of inebriation and what eventually evolved into a very heated continuous water balloon battle. In addition there were often shore batteries at the points and beaches of the resort using long range funnelators to pummel the fleet.

Image result for funnelator women

     These battles rivaled the historical warfare of the Caribbean and alliances between boats were short lived and and it was every man (and wench) for themselves. It was not uncommon for embatants to abandon one boat for another in the tight channels between the keys and swim to the other boat if rum and hors d'oeuvre were depleted. Of course the fare aboard the Chef's boat were usually the best which for some reason he usually had the hottest women on his boat.

      It was only a matter of time until the Chef failed to negotiate the shoals on on of the small keys and that was the end of the lovely Ketch. In his defense I think the crew of the Westsail were using what we called 'Antigua Tactics' which involved nude women doing their best to distract the competition and there may have been some collusion within his own crew. It was shocking to see how quickly the wooden hull was destroyed that night and by the time a salvage effort arrived at first light it was too late.

      It's all fun until someone (or someone's boat gets hurt)!

Image result for herreshoff nereia ketch

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Fortunately not Chester.

    That is actually Tioga which is a few feet longer at 57' than the boat that sunk at Caneel. Not nearly as nice a build but still a sad loss nonetheless.

I bet the Chef had a better jib trimmer!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems well below real value if you don't mind a bit of a trip. Only 5 of the 38's were ever made officially but there do seem to be some AKA's  .

They seem to carry their proportions much better than the more popular 33's which I find a bit pudgy, then again this ones definitely got a booty. . Designed by Peter Cole a very respected Oz designer and built at Ho Hsing Co. Taiwan.

Not sure about the colour, I think they look better in white. The Nantucket Island label has caused much confusion.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nantucket-38-now-as-is-where-is-to-my-loss-your-gain/213382

nantucket-island-38-202857_2e.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know a good way to share this from FB, but...

Euphoria4Sale.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's a "Hunter Hunter 3" and everything but please don't mock. This boat has been a fixture on the racing scene here for decades. The owner has died. I hope it finds another who loves it as much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paps49 said:

I can't quite figure out the bike wheel in the COTB but someone might know.

 

It's the steering wheel removed from the pedestal, in storage to clear up the cockpit, one of those folding wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Thanks Paps!

     The 43's were not so bad as their predecessors.  There was a guy who did top shelf daycharters out of Caneel Bay in one but there was usually pretty good wind there. The other boat that he shared the daysail concession was a Hinckley B-40 and they of course were always trying to outdo the other boat. Pretty even match unless the B-40 could crank up the centerboard on a reach which the skipper rarely did on a daily basis. The executive chef at Caneel was good buddies with the Westsail skipper and he had a sweet scaled down version of a Herreshoff Ketch, like a mini-Ticonderoga but only about 38'. The design name was NEREIA and in the evening on Thursdays I think it was, all three boats (and often others) would do a rowdy cocktail cruise for the charter company and hotel staff along with any other scalawags that happened to get shanghaied by the press gang. 

Image result for herreshoff nereia ketch

 

    The course was around the three small keys that sat right out in front of Caneel which made for a challenge due to weird sometimes contradictory currents. Add to the general state of inebriation and what eventually evolved into a very heated continuous water balloon battle. In addition there were often shore batteries at the points and beaches of the resort using long range funnelators to pummel the fleet.

Image result for funnelator women

     These battles rivaled the historical warfare of the Caribbean and alliances between boats were short lived and and it was every man (and wench) for themselves. It was not uncommon for embatants to abandon one boat for another in the tight channels between the keys and swim to the other boat if rum and hors d'oeuvre were depleted. Of course the fare aboard the Chef's boat were usually the best which for some reason he usually had the hottest women on his boat.

      It was only a matter of time until the Chef failed to negotiate the shoals on on of the small keys and that was the end of the lovely Ketch. In his defense I think the crew of the Westsail were using what we called 'Antigua Tactics' which involved nude women doing their best to distract the competition and there may have been some collusion within his own crew. It was shocking to see how quickly the wooden hull was destroyed that night and by the time a salvage effort arrived at first light it was too late.

      It's all fun until someone (or someone's boat gets hurt)!

Image result for herreshoff nereia ketch

Ahh, taken out by the Tattersall/Byerley stratagem:

 

dgKB5w5.png

Tatt's made them, Byerley deployed them.

- Stumbling

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, paps49 said:

This seems well below real value if you don't mind a bit of a trip. Only 5 of the 38's were ever made officially but there do seem to be some AKA's  .

They seem to carry their proportions much better than the more popular 33's which I find a bit pudgy, then again this ones definitely got a booty. . Designed by Peter Cole a very respected Oz designer and built at Ho Hsing Co. Taiwan.

Not sure about the colour, I think they look better in white. The Nantucket Island label has caused much confusion.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nantucket-38-now-as-is-where-is-to-my-loss-your-gain/213382

nantucket-island-38-202857_2e.jpg

Come on Paps, would you trust a concrete keel with iron bolts? Surely that must be misinterpreted and really mean iron boiler punchings and scrap encapsulated in poured concrete inside a molded FG hull. Still not much better but at least it won't just fall off.

Keel / Ballast
Concrete with iron bolts etc!
Vessel Location
Ginowan Marina Okinawa
Region
Asia
Hull Material
Fibreglass/GRP
Decks Material
Teak deck
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

I don't know a good way to share this from FB, but...

Euphoria4Sale.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's a "Hunter Hunter 3" and everything but please don't mock. This boat has been a fixture on the racing scene here for decades. The owner has died. I hope it finds another who loves it as much.

My father had a Hunter 30 while he lived in Punta Gorda. His was shoal draft and a total washout as a racing boat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Come on Paps, would you trust a concrete keel with iron bolts? Surely that must be misinterpreted and really mean iron boiler punchings and scrap encapsulated in poured concrete inside a molded FG hull. Still not much better but at least it won't just fall off.

Keel / Ballast
Concrete with iron bolts etc!
Vessel Location
Ginowan Marina Okinawa
Region
Asia
Hull Material
Fibreglass/GRP
Decks Material
Teak deck

Yes Raster I did notice that.

From the NI 38 website....


"The Nantucket Island hull is laid up on its side in two molds, one for each side. After curing the two halves of the hull are joined together at the centerline. This is a very complicated and expensive way to build a sailboat hull, which is why it is seldom employed by other manufacturers. It, however, produces an extremely strong hull. Once the hull is upright, lead shot is weighed out and installed in the keel cavity. This is closed off and sealed which creates the bilge. In the event of grounding, the encapsulated keel area cannot leak into the bilge even if massively damaged from an object below the waterline."

I recently made inquires for a friend about a boat I  had built in the 70's. The broker insisted it was an encapsulated keel and got quite stroppy when I cast doubt on this. Eventually he got quite angry and demanded to know why I would claim it was not the case.  I replied "because I bolted the fucking thing onto the boat"! His meek response was " well you did a nice job it looks like it's all one piece"

Some people don't know what they don't know.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rcbrds said:

Kettenburg PC.  It must have some problems.

 

5 hours ago, rcbrds said:

Kettenburg PC.  It must have some problems.

The fact that they don't actually say there is a PC attached to the keel would be a good indicator of problems.:huh:

"3,000lb Lead Boat Keel $1000 to a good home - $1000"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, See Level said:

 

The fact that they don't actually say there is a PC attached to the keel would be a good indicator of problems.:huh:

"3,000lb Lead Boat Keel $1000 to a good home - $1000"

Pretty much, take my keel to the scrapyard and oh would you mind getting rid of the pesky boat on your way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

My father had a Hunter 30 while he lived in Punta Gorda. His was shoal draft and a total washout as a racing boat. 

That one was very likely to show up, less likely to win. The owner had a smile for everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 12:10 AM, paps49 said:

Pretty much, take my keel to the scrapyard and oh would you mind getting rid of the pesky boat on your way.

Know the boat and it's a sad story. Hull was splined and epoxied way back when but has been sitting unused in its slip for ages. Suffice to say no one, even among the very passionate fleet at SDYC, wants it. Jack up the mast and have Koehlers build a new boat under it and you'd probably come out ahead. Damn shame.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

What happened here? Missing a boom.....but why so cheap? No interior pic's is suspicious. 

 

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/manteo-38ft-1983-ted-sloop-sail-boat/6789255070.html00R0R_7mnaiPuZaxZ_600x450.jpg

A 70HP Perkins? Not a good choice, I wonder what else the Dreaded Previous Owner did.

A shame, those are great boats. One of the better centerboard types, IIRC they draw a bit less than 4' with it pulled up.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

A 70HP Perkins? Not a good choice, I wonder what else the Dreaded Previous Owner did.

But it's new! With 450 hours.

I know that's nothing in the lifespan of a Perkins but that's a lot of time for a "new" sailboat engine.

3 hours ago, toddster said:

No sail inventory, but “two inflatable lifeboats.” Handled!

I was trying not to mock that and the "new" engine. I see I was not alone. Perhaps this one landed in the wrong thread?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like someone is getting a bargain. One of my all time favourites - absolutely gorgeous boats - pics don't really do them justice.

Maxx Baqustae will concur - he's owned one forever.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/CC-38-Mk-II_32896816

image.png.022fe0bab09ede667160e7f37ccf9927.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yours is bigger & better anyway - those are very small & tight 38 footers. Headroom disappears quickly going forward.

I'd be happy to just look at it sitting at the dock.

Finding that dock is the problem.

And don't "Best Before" yourself - it has a way of coming true.

I'm currently on my third "last" boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Yours is bigger & better anyway - those are very small & tight 38 footers. Headroom disappears quickly going forward.

I'd be happy to just look at it sitting at the dock.

Finding that dock is the problem.

And don't "Best Before" yourself - it has a way of coming true.

I'm currently on my third "last" boat.

The current boat was refit with wholesale pricing. I don't get that any more. I would consider fixing up a smaller daysailer, but I'm not about to launch into a $20,000 refit (before labour costs) on a $15,000 boat . Besides that, we like the boat a lot, and I just put the new mainsail back on today after having the slugs reworked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 5:05 AM, Norse Horse said:

This one caught my eye, a stout cruiser design from Europe, built over here. I can't recall seeing one out here before.

Kelt 7.6 Sailboat - boats - by owner

1

 

Thats a really nice little boat.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like someone is getting a bargain. One of my all time favourites - absolutely gorgeous boats - pics don't really do them justice.

Maxx Baqustae will concur - he's owned one forever.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/CC-38-Mk-II_32896816

image.png.022fe0bab09ede667160e7f37ccf9927.png

I've got to stop following this thread, it's not fair.......


It's also a bit sad because when good boats go for this sort of money it devalues much of the rest of the market to the point of no return and becomes more of a problem to get rid of them.

I wan't to save all of them......for 90 seconds. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, Elegua said:

What happened here? Missing a boom.....but why so cheap? No interior pic's is suspicious. 

 

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/manteo-38ft-1983-ted-sloop-sail-boat/6789255070.html00R0R_7mnaiPuZaxZ_600x450.jpg

That's a Wauquiez 38. Have a friend with one and they've done two trips across the pond and back in it. Really well built boats. Need some wind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, monsoon said:

That's a Wauquiez 38. Have a friend with one and they've done two trips across the pond and back in it. Really well built boats. Need some wind.

The photo doesn't do it any favours, it kinda looks like everything just floated to the top......

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, monsoon said:

That's a Wauquiez 38. Have a friend with one and they've done two trips across the pond and back in it. Really well built boats. Need some wind.

Wasn't there a thread here somewhere about a Wauquiez that needed a total keel sump rebuild?  

 

Edit: Found it:  It was a Centurion - 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 4:14 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like someone is getting a bargain. One of my all time favourites - absolutely gorgeous boats - pics don't really do them justice.

Maxx Baqustae will concur - he's owned one forever.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/CC-38-Mk-II_32896816

image.png.022fe0bab09ede667160e7f37ccf9927.png

Looks like I was right - someone got a great deal - the ads for this disappeared after less than a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like I was right - someone got a great deal - the ads for this disappeared after less than a day.

Thank phuque it's gone. If I wasn't amidst looking for a home in Gibsons to retire out of the big city I'd be all over that for resale. Put it out back on the market again in the height of the selling season (April/May) and double my money or better easily. They must of a reason to sell it so cheaply but 38's are strong as houses. They can be prone of the balsa core but a lot of it is built in from manufacturing. Mine has 3 Maui races (and back) and still ticking along fine thanks. Huge volume in those boats. The pilot berths have been long deligated to storage too. 55 gals. of freshwater. Huge dining table that seats for dinner comfortably (but the old saw: The perfect boat drinks 6, feeds 4 and sleeps 2!). Huge galley and storage. I think the headroom is 6'2" or more. I don't think about that much as I'm 5'8" but you could shoot hoops in the salon IMHO. And sorry SJB, I have to disagree as but never been an issue going forward or sleeping in the vee berth. Huge quarter berth that sleeps two - if need be. But hat's delegated to storage too. Two hanging locker, a wet and a dry just aft of the forepeak (the dry locker is where I store my single malt tubes below that for safe keeping). The head is adequate but a huge linens locker to also store my reds (yes, I'm a souse and winemaker!) and my whites, after a year or more aging and bottling, I bag them into wine cows and kept by water tanks to keep them cool. That's why I have had the boat for such a long time.

I don't get why S.A.L.T.S. let it go so cheap. The gelcoat is bulletproof and could be cut polished but I've never had to do that. Just a good waxing with a cleaner wax. I re & re'd  the interior teak a number of years ago using a light 3M pad to get the sun damage and high traffic areas off and coated it with Sea Fin teak oil. It still looks like new. Looking at the pics of Tigger and the  S.A.L.T.S website they do a 3rd party estimation/survey(?) so who made that call? The surveyor that has a white cane and a seeing eye dog? 

Well, I have said my bit but I agree that is not good for the market, for a private sellers or brokers, selling against it. Against the 1980 Santana 35 (former WVYC boat) at 36K? Comon'! The only think is the engine on Tigger is a little light at 24Hp but I don't think that's correct either. Mine has a Volvo 27HP and cruise at 6 and half knots all day long and a little more if I push it. There are 3 or 4 38's in WVYC. One has 50hp and might get up to 7.5 or so but you are becoming a water dozer at that point digging a bigger hole. 

Amateurs at that price - what were they thinking!            

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 12:30 AM, paps49 said:

 

Thats a really nice little boat.

I've got to stop following this thread, it's not fair.......


It's also a bit sad because when good boats go for this sort of money it devalues much of the rest of the market to the point of no return and becomes more of a problem to get rid of them.

I wan't to save all of them......for 90 seconds. :)

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 2:44 PM, Zonker said:

Probably just "turn it over and stop paying moorage fees".

They lease the whole marina, so it wouldn't be that. Does seems like a weirdly low price, particularly evidenced by how quickly it sold. Normally they're pretty on point with pricing. Then again, the boat market seems to be hopping right now. In the past month I've had 3 boats sell before I could make an offer (not that this was one of them).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, andykane said:

They lease the whole marina, so it wouldn't be that. Does seems like a weirdly low price, particularly evidenced by how quickly it sold. Normally they're pretty on point with pricing. Then again, the boat market seems to be hopping right now. In the past month I've had 3 boats sell before I could make an offer (not that this was one of them).

Exactly. Unless the seller is completely out of reality in their price or the boat has serious issues they are being snapped up quickly on the market. I know most of the brokers in the area are starving for (decent) used/brokerage listings. Doesn't help the Canuck buck is around .75 CND against the U.S. dollar. We had the same problem the last time that happened (low CND dollar) and American buyers are snapping them up. The problem is they never come back into our market as the as the general market is just so much bigger.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Exactly. Unless the seller is completely out of reality in their price or the boat has serious issues they are being snapped up quickly on the market. I know most of the brokers in the area are starving for (decent) used/brokerage listings. Doesn't help the Canuck buck is around .75 CND against the U.S. dollar. We had the same problem the last time that happened (low CND dollar) and American buyers are snapping them up. The problem is they never come back into our market as the as the general market is just so much bigger.    

We bought our boat back from the Yankees.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to this young person. A Rimas wannabe.

Quote

I am 24 and dream of sailing the world tell i die but im not made of money as am hopeing mabye by chance i could find me a ship for free and be where i long to be so badly where i feel i belong sailing the world

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/WANTED-_32908644

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:42 AM, stumblingthunder said:

Ahh, taken out by the Tattersall/Byerley stratagem:

 

dgKB5w5.png

Tatt's made them, Byerley deployed them.

- Stumbling

Dehler?  Deserves a bump

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Good luck to this young person. A Rimas wannabe.

Quote

I am 24 and dream of sailing the world tell i die but im not made of money as am hopeing mabye by chance i could find me a ship for free and be where i long to be so badly where i feel i belong sailing the world

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/WANTED-_32908644

Would it be wrong to share this with Jean M on Facebook?

I want to help buy that young man a Delorme, so there is a Rimas parallel. There are other possible outcomes, most rusting in a field someplace and featured in the Zombie Fleet thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of bang for the buck...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They seem to have C&C's on special this month.

I can see myself having a fleet of C&C's.

Unfortunately, my wife does not share my vision. Her vision is an Imelda Marcos of shoes in her size.

It's so unfair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

You don't know her taste in shoes. 

yeah, some of them can cost as much as (or even more than) a boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are now collectors items - I'm sure that's a whole bunch more than she paid.

I don't think Mrs. Ish has quite that level of infamy - even being married to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those are now collectors items - I'm sure that's a whole bunch more than she paid.

I don't think Mrs. Ish has quite that level of infamy - even being married to him.

Not even close to Imelda. If I had Ferdinand's dosh it might have been different. As it is, my wife has Italian feet but we have a Bulgarian budget.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is mocking or not. Needs it gone by Friday. Our sailing co-op passed on it. It's about $1000 in materials to fix (glass/paint both sides) if you do a full DIY effort + haulout costs. Not sure if more hidden damage of course. I'd buy a roll of Gorilla tape and some plastic signboard if I was moving it anywhere in the Lower Mainland. If moving it further it would warrant a quick and dirty glass patch.  Anybody from the LMYC which lost all it's boats in December up for a small challenge?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/west-vancouver-free-catalina-27/6818174411.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Not sure if this is mocking or not. Needs it gone by Friday. Our sailing co-op passed on it. It's about $1000 in materials to fix (glass/paint both sides) if you do a full DIY effort + haulout costs. Not sure if more hidden damage of course. I'd buy a roll of Gorilla tape and some plastic signboard if I was moving it anywhere in the Lower Mainland. If moving it further it would warrant a quick and dirty glass patch.  Anybody from the LMYC which lost all it's boats in December up for a small challenge?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/west-vancouver-free-catalina-27/6818174411.html

 

Quote

Summer Wine has damage to the starboard side of the bow due to last weekends winds

Yeah, there is some damage on the starboard side. There's also this.

00C0C_fHKFJ60gGeu_1200x900.jpg

So you could stay warm and dry while buffing it right out from the interior.

Sorry, I keep mistaking this for the mocking thread. You have to admit they were crying out for it. It does look like a good deal. And a good deal of grinding on the port side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'd buy a roll of Gorilla tape and some plastic signboard if I was moving it anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

 

Just used my first  roll of Gorilla Tape today -- to fasten heavy vinyl over the starboard aft windows of my Toyota van, which a lovely microburst shattered yesterday via a handful of gravel moving at shotgun speeds.

Is impressive tape! Gonna take some heat to get it off, methinks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Just used my first  roll of Gorilla Tape today -- to fasten heavy vinyl over the starboard aft windows of my Toyota van, which a lovely microburst shattered yesterday via a handful of gravel moving at shotgun speeds.

Is impressive tape! Gonna take some heat to get it off, methinks.

It tends to get gummy over time, and under strain will creep. I much prefer the 3M Performance Tape, the blue stuff. Comes off clean inside a month.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTW2alY8I2OvUSnyN-q

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ish, that 3M stuff is masking tape isn't it?

The Gorilla tape I've used is like duct tape

You're thinking of the blue masking tape. Just like the label says, this is Performance Plus Duct Tape. The 8979 doesn't go gooey like Gorilla Tape so it comes off quite cleanly, as long as it hasn't baked in the sun for several months. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Performance-Plus-Duct-Tape-8979N/?N=5002385+3293242024&rt=rud

Also available in red.

Quote

3M™ Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979N is a highly specialized duct tape ideally suited for demanding applications in the nuclear power plant, ship building, and steel fabrication industries. It is commonly used for sealing, holding, identification and protection. This tape resists wear, abrasion, moisture, and UV exposure for up to 12 months.

S-17542BLU.jpg?$MediumRHD$&iccEmbed=1&ic

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

3M™ Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979N is a highly specialized duct tape ideally suited for demanding applications in the nuclear power plant, ship building, and steel fabrication industries. It is commonly used for sealing, holding, identification and protection. This tape resists wear, abrasion, moisture, and UV exposure for up to 12 months.

Okay, I have questions about this. "Homer! We're losing cooling water in reactor #3. Grab some of that fancy duct tape and give the plumbing a couple more wraps, would you?" That's like seeing a can of Fix-a-Flat in a 787 cockpit.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Okay, I have questions about this. "Homer! We're losing cooling water in reactor #3. Grab some of that fancy duct tape and give the plumbing a couple more wraps, would you?" That's like seeing a can of Fix-a-Flat in a 787 cockpit.

You wouldn't ask Homer for that.

Strictly a Red Green sort of thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for starters, IIRC, back when I had to qualify for the HAZWOPER card at the Lazy-H every couple of years, duct tape wraps were the prescribed method for securing your gloves and boots to your moon suit.  Also any object removed from a radiation zone had to be bagged & duct-taped unless a goon could certify that it was uncontaminated.  Wow, I can't actually recall the acronym for the goon with the geiger counter, off hand.  How blissful to have forgotten some of that crap.  Except that they got paid enough that a couple of them I knew bought a brand new 45-foot motor yacht.  

Link to post
Share on other sites