• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Not sure if bad form to quote ones self but that was me back on June 17th just before my trip to Florida. When I got back I did manage to take a trip to Albany to take a look at this boat and

Posted Images

6 hours ago, southerncross said:

Delighted she's been so well looked after: here's her history. Time for a name change back I reckon.

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Fun.htm

Seems the centre board was a pure unballasted dagger board initially, with only internal ballast. It now looks as if there's a bulb. Good engineering I hope!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I like the interior.

824485EB-422D-4CD1-9705-57C43289919C.jpeg

There's a good quip on the histoire des Halfs entry: << you can eat off the floor because is so clean ... in Pantera you can eat off the floor because of all the food stuck to it!>>

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

I like the interior.

824485EB-422D-4CD1-9705-57C43289919C.jpeg

Love the lightening holes.

They look cool and improve ventilation but I wonder how much actual weight they saved?

1 hour ago, ride2live said:

But it's gorgeous. And looks brand new.

Yup. Lovely. But where's the market at 28k? It's like a vintage car or a dolled up girl. Pretty to look at but do you really want/have one?

18 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Yup. Lovely. But where's the market at 28k? It's like a vintage car or a dolled up girl. Pretty to look at but do you really want/have one?

It would probably be worth it in the Solent, Belgium or France, where there's a lot of love for the quarter tonners and where six figure sums are spent on them, but it does have the problem of a slightly complicated history - a race winner in its past but nothing in its modern guise. A quick look shows an updated Joubert boat on the market here at GBP25,000.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

It would probably be worth it in the Solent, Belgium or France, where there's a lot of love for the quarter tonners and where six figure sums are spent on them, but it does have the problem of a slightly complicated history - a race winner in its past but nothing in its modern guise. A quick look shows an updated Joubert boat on the market here at GBP25,000.

Location, location, location I guess. Might be a bit of a fad though. Then people move on and it's not cool anymore. The market shits the bed. Not arguing with you but in NA?

52 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

It's like a vintage car or a dolled up girl. Pretty to look at but do you really want/have one?

Only an old, old man would ask such a question. :D

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Only an old, old man would ask such a question. :D

Lol. Nothing better teacher of experience. Done the gauntlet of "Very bad ideas"! I've sailed with them ;) . And don't try this at home kids - we are professionals! One Whidbey Is. Race Week, after the drink tent and dinner, went into the next bar and our skipper hopped one the Harley's parked outside (apparently a biker bar to boot) and we said Jeezus Xmas Rick! We are going to die! You do learn or Darwin will get ya.    

On 2/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, Importunate Tom said:

That's a very large mainsail for a non-racing boat. Looks pretty good sized at the second reef. I think I might have put a third.

00E0E_ilNrD80gP8J_1200x900.jpg

Tom, did u read the ad where they stated greater than 1/2 ton of lead in the keel of this 21’er?

That's a very large mainsail for a non-racing boat. Looks pretty good sized at the second reef. I think I might have put a third.

Tom, did u read the ad where they stated greater than 1/2 ton of lead in the keel of this 21’er?

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Love the lightening holes.

They look cool and improve ventilation but I wonder how much actual weight they saved?

Does it matter, it's art?

15 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Lots of people spend fortunes on vintage cars.

Imagine for a moment what it would cost to build that today, I think it deserves a rich collector.

18 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Does it matter, it's art?

Lots of people spend fortunes on vintage cars.

Imagine for a moment what it would cost to build that today, I think it deserves a rich collector.

Like I said, it may have market problems because it's not original in regards to the keel - admittedly the daggerboard with internal ballast was a bit of a design dead-end, so I can see why they changed it, but it still loses some of the connoisseurial element to it. Originality is important to collectors. This may be comparable to a Ford engine in a Ferrari.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I know that boat intimately. Do it.

No insurance? I know most marinas ask for insurance. Might be just liability only at Sewell's. I can't see Navis Insurance right it off. But they had their hands full with the claims at Sewell's as they cover the marina. I know. Both are WVYC members. I think this is easily fixable with a little sweat and Fraser's or Currie. 

3 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

No insurance? I know most marinas ask for insurance. Might be just liability only at Sewell's. I can't see Navis Insurance right it off. But they had their hands full with the claims at Sewell's as they cover the marina. I know. Both are WVYC members. I think this is easily fixable with a little sweat and Fraser's or Currie. 

A friend of mine owned that boat for years, he treated it royally. It has (had?) almost-new sails. His widow had it for sale for several years after his death, and just recently sold it. That boat deserves better.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

A friend of mine owned that boat for years, he treated it royally. It has (had?) almost-new sails. His widow had it for sale for several years after his death, and just recently sold it. That boat deserves better.

45 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like it Ish. Inside anyway. A deal to be had there if numbers gybe. There is shipwright on Bowen does that sort of thing. Fix them up and sell them. He has the old Redline 41 Wingaway for sale now. Did Namba the C&C 39 awhile ago.

4 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Looks like it Ish. Inside anyway. A deal to be had there if numbers gybe. There is shipwright on Bowen does that sort of thing. Fix them up and sell them. He has the old Redline 41 Wingaway for sale now. Did Namba the C&C 39 awhile ago.

All those parts are still available, and the damage isn't that bad. Hell, I'd give him $5K and buy him a beer, call it good.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Ishmael said:

So did the widow.

Several years? We all know what happens to boats in several years.

But when your husband has just died, it takes a year or so at least for the boat to reach the front burner. Then, after getting yourself together, you walk into the broker's office and explain that no one has touched this boat in a year but your husband used to say it was worth $X.

I've been the broker who had to then explain the various reasons it was no longer worth $X and might well be worth -$X.

Sell your boats, guys. The rest of that story doesn't get any better.

• Like 2

We have a happier story than that. Our catamaran (when sold by the widow) was an open bridgedeck type - no big cabin in the middle. So not exactly a huge market for 40' cat with only beds in the hulls.

Bought from the widow by a boat broker for what I think was a typical low ball offer in the circumstances.

Broker gets tired of it, puts in on the market for $109K.

Nothing happens for a year. Broker drops price to $99K.

Nothing. Price drops to $89K later that year. I take a 2 hr ferry over for a look.

Offered 55K to the other broker in the office (Owner/Broker was not in).

Other B.'s face falls and he says no way can he take that offer to O/B.

Do it, says I. 

Offer very begrudgingly accepted

I hope O/B took at least a loss. Nothing worse than cheating the widows and orphans...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Zonker said:

We have a happier story than that. Our catamaran (when sold by the widow) was an open bridgedeck type - no big cabin in the middle. So not exactly a huge market for 40' cat with only beds in the hulls.

Bought from the widow by a boat broker for what I think was a typical low ball offer in the circumstances.

Broker gets tired of it, puts in on the market for $109K.

Nothing happens for a year. Broker drops price to $99K.

Nothing. Price drops to $89K later that year. I take a 2 hr ferry over for a look.

Offered 55K to the other broker in the office (Owner/Broker was not in).

Other B.'s face falls and he says no way can he take that offer to O/B.

Do it, says I. 

Offer very begrudgingly accepted

I hope O/B took at least a loss. Nothing worse than cheating the widows and orphans...

Same thing happens with cars or trucks; although there's enough market that even a not-run-for-years car will usually fetch some kind of offer.

I've bought stuff a few times in the neighborhood of half the ask price. Only once on a boat deal, has  broker said "I'm no taking that offer to the seller" and my reply was "OK, wait a few more years and see if you get a slightly better one." Seller accepted the offer.

I've also sold a few boats for disappointingly low prices. Even donated one. The market reality is what it is, wishful thinking will waste a lot of your time if you let it.

If you love your wife, don't leave her with a lot of junk boats or guitars to try and sell. Get rid of your own shit, and leave her with a well-trained dog instead.

FB- Doug

• Like 2
On 3/21/2019 at 4:58 AM, Steam Flyer said:

If you love your wife, don't leave her with a lot of junk boats or guitars to try and sell. Get rid of your own shit, and leave her with a well-trained dog instead.

Where's the fun in that? I plan on leaving in excess of 30 tonnes of machine tools, a 12m boat and a IH TD9 Drott tracked loader. I'm making my son executor, that'll fix him.....

Selling instructions on the lines of 'It's all worth what it sells for, start at a dollar and work up, I had my fun from it all while I was alive.'

Fortunately nobody but me knows what I've paid for anything, and even there I lied.

FKT

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Where's the fun in that? I plan on leaving in excess of 30 tonnes of machine tools, a 12m boat and a IH TD9 Drott tracked loader. I'm making my son executor, that'll fix him.....

Selling instructions on the lines of 'It's all worth what it sells for, start at a dollar and work up, I had my fun from it all while I was alive.'

Fortunately nobody but me knows what I've paid for anything, and even there I lied.

FKT

I just told my wife to invite the mates around and dump what’s left over..

• Like 1

I’m with you guys on the dumping part. I have a tractor trailer load of extra stuff from my boatshop and buttloads of wood. It just keeps piling up!

Anyway, here’s a nice one from NZ

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/d/haverstraw-37-moerman-zeeland-steel-yawl/6838128963.html

8C19BD86-12C3-4859-B9B5-726CD8EF517F.jpeg

On 3/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, olaf hart said:

I just told my wife to invite the mates around and dump what’s left over..

Won't be my problem.

I told the kids that some of my nautical books are quite valuable and to not just sell them cheap without checking but beyond that it's their problem.

When we cleaned out my parents house we filled two 14 yard dumpsters - and that was only the crap that wasn't even fit to donate.

My grandmothers linens - she had died more than 30 years previously and they were old then. Trunks filled with clothing from the 50's. Lots of trash like that. People who came of age during the depression just couldn't bear to throw anything out.

12 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

It's a good thing I'm not closer and richer. Not sure where I'd put it but I'd buy it.

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/d/birmingham-skimmer-25/6846998945.html

I've seen some reports of amazing speeds in these boats, though I'm not sure if they were the fiberglass productions or the original wood construction ones.

That bird has a serious lower jaw, almost rivals Jay Leno.

6 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

I've seen some reports of amazing speeds in these boats, though I'm not sure if they were the fiberglass productions or the original wood construction ones.

The guy on FB has a Core Sound and has had other similar boats. Based on his remarks, I'd guess the glass ones aren't all that fast. Your butt is going to be pretty near water level though, which makes any boat seem faster.

• Like 1

Here's a clean-looking older boat for $7K in the ENC...maybe not a great buy at that price, but when you stop and think of the comparative runabout you'd get for that money, it offers a lot of potential entertainment-

Ericson 29 Sailboat -a single-hander's dream. - $7000 (New Bern, NC)

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/ericson-29-sailboat-single-handers-dream/6851169235.html

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Here's a clean-looking older boat for $7K in the ENC...maybe not a great buy at that price, but when you stop and think of the comparative runabout you'd get for that money, it offers a lot of potential entertainment-

Ericson 29 Sailboat -a single-hander's dream. - $7000 (New Bern, NC)

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/ericson-29-sailboat-single-handers-dream/6851169235.html

IDK about that fin keel but I love the look of that. Exactly the kinda thing I'm going to go for eventually

3 hours ago, woahboy said:

That’s a looker.

That's the first time in 45 years that I've ever heard those words applied to a Coronado. :D

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's the first time in 45 years that I've ever heard those words applied to a Coronado. :D

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  But I have to say, once in awhile I look at my Bene and wonder if Bob Perry would say it looks like a tennis shoe? :wacko:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Somehow the Coronado looks stately with that green hull :)

3 hours ago, woahboy said:

That’s a looker.

I loved my Coronado. She may not have been the fastest or best looking boat, but she was definitely was reliable and trucked through some weather that would have had others heading for harbour. 

And she really does look amazing with the dark green. 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Well, just look at the boat I bought. I am think she’s a looker to. :D

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

Someone is going to be getting a great deal.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, slap said:

Thank you!  Yeah, it was designed by Robert Finch.  I had assumed it was based on the Yankee 30.  I hadn't even known there was a Yankee 28.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/yankee-28

S&S Dolphin is 24’ not 28’.

But the video claims to be a Pacific Dolphin 28.  Based on the Sailboat data I’d say it’s a 28’.  So correct, not formerly Yankee 24.

85E7F3B2-BB4B-4B6E-8341-A7121E390BF2.jpeg

This looks like it would be worth checking out - by the right person.

I've long thought that the Banjers were the best looking of all the boats of that type.

I'd imagine it's the only one around here too - maybe the only one in North America.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/parksville-banjer-37-ketch-motorsailer/6857336202.html

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

This looks like it would be worth checking out - by the right person.

I've long thought that the Banjers were the best looking of all the boats of that type.

I'd imagine it's the only one around here too - maybe the only one in North America.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/parksville-banjer-37-ketch-motorsailer/6857336202.html

Hmmm. Winter approaches. Another boat over there might be good and I like fixing stuff......

On 4/3/2019 at 4:36 AM, Vaeredil said:

One of the most competitive  PHRF boats here in WLIS is a Ranger 33. The crew is excellent, of course, but I think having an old boat they are willing to abuse is also a factor. Mull designs have always done well here.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I’ve just looked up that boat’s home port of Whitehorse: do you think that boat really comes from up the Yukon?

Sure, why not? We see quite a few boats from Alaska here, fewer from the Yukon but that's understandable.

8 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I’ve just looked up that boat’s home port of Whitehorse: do you think that boat really comes from up the Yukon?

I highly doubt it is from Whitehorse proper.   The Yukon River is shallow and sporty in numerous of spots.    Enough that a number of paddle wheelers have run aground, got stoved in and sunk during the gold rush days.

- Stumbling

On 4/3/2019 at 3:34 AM, woahboy said:

Someone is going to be getting a great deal.

Tho the listing describes condition as "fair" and provides no interior photos. I'm guessing it is less than Bristol below decks. Didn't many Rangers suffer from plywood deck core and bulkhead rot issues?  Still potentially a great boat! 

Sure, why not? We see quite a few boats from Alaska here, fewer from the Yukon but that's understandable.

Alaska is a popular home port because it charges little to no registration fee or sales, use or property taxes. It's the Left Coast's flag of convenience.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:28 AM, Vaeredil said:

That boat is in DCYC. I just had a look onboard the other day, and it looks ok considering she has been sitting unused for a long time. She has been kept well covered up, which helps. The outboard looks pretty new.

Somebody buy her! We need the mooreage space!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Alaska is a popular home port because it charges little to no registration fee or sales, use or property taxes. It's the Left Coast's flag of convenience.

I think the Yukon Territories are Canadian? 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

They are. And Whitehorse is essentially landlocked. So the boat was probably owned by someone in Whitehorse but kept somewhere where there was ocean access. Somewhat like the multitude of Alberta-registered boats you find on the West Coast of Canada, most of them probably didn't come over the mountains.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Yes, but I was referring to Ish's comment "We see quite a few boats from Alaska" in the PNW. Taxes & reg fees are one reason why. A notorious cruising trawler I mentioned before, an $11 million toy for a Washington State oligarch, is registered in Ketchikan explicitly to avoid WA's sales tax. Spends much of its time in SoCal, but legally ported in Alaska.