• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

Paps,      When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked

Posted Images

On 6/11/2019 at 6:32 AM, southerncross said:

KNARR SLOOP US124 , PIPER built by Borreson, Knarr #52, built in 1966, and won the 1966 World Championships in Copenhagen 1966. PIPER had a bottom job and service at the Spaulding Boatworks Sausalito 2017. Fresh paint and varnish, inside and out, and is in very good overall condition. Wooden mast in very good shape, newer rigging. Main and jib sails in very good shape, and full canvas boat cover. Was recently donated by owner of over 30 years to an educational sailing non-profit. Not a project boat. Looking for a wooden boat/ Knarr aficionado to take it the next 30 years. Would be hard to find a cleaner boat in this price range. $4,900.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/6909295320.html

977FA260-B098-4405-B3FC-AB50653E6646.jpeg

01D3D393-E382-4097-B9EF-58FCE6266413.jpeg

1CD7A4F2-EFC1-45FC-AF2A-DB770F99449A.jpeg

That is a pretty nice deal, if you are able to keep up the maintenance on a wooden boat. They sail these every Wednesday evening on the city front, not as big a fleet as the folkboats, but they are beautiful. 

40 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/cambridge-bounty-ii/6905567631.html

She draws a little deep for lots of spots in the Bay - but, what gorgeous lines. 

Beautiful boat!   Unfortunately, the "SA Offsetters" would be accusing Phillip Rhodes of designing a killer with the companionway...

- Stumbling

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

Beautiful boat!   Unfortunately, the "SA Offsetters" would be accusing Phillip Rhodes of designing a killer with the companionway...

- Stumbling

Beat me too it. But it is a beauty.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nobody ever drew a sweeter sheer than Rhodes.

Or ever will.

True.  No one seems to want a swooping sheer line anymore. And for my money, Alberg could match ol' Phil for drawing a heart-stoppingly beautiful boat.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/cambridge-bounty-ii/6905567631.html

She draws a little deep for lots of spots in the Bay - but, what gorgeous lines. 

Gorgeous.  Looks like there might be a minimum girth requirement for the helmsman to comfortably tack with that mizzen in the way.  That was probably less of an issue when it was drawn.  

image.thumb.png.a2fbd624839f9a90ba43898e98c0b4c9.png

8 hours ago, socalrider said:

Gorgeous.  Looks like there might be a minimum girth requirement for the helmsman to comfortably tack with that mizzen in the way.  That was probably less of an issue when it was drawn.  

image.thumb.png.a2fbd624839f9a90ba43898e98c0b4c9.png

Looks like it was designed for the helmsman to sit on either side of the mizzen.  But your point about the expansion of the average American ass is spot on.

That mizzen could be discarded with zero effect on the boats performance.

Those dinky CCA yawl mizzens were a rule beating trick - might gain a tiny bit with a mizzen staysail on a broad reach but overall not worth the trouble.

My Columbia 43 came with one and I sold it.

13 hours ago, Hukilau said:

True.  No one seems to want a swooping sheer line anymore. And for my money, Alberg could match ol' Phil for drawing a heart-stoppingly beautiful boat.

My boat was designed my McCurdy & Rhodes. I wonder who came up with this sheer? I like it's lines.

seafarer26.PNG

6 minutes ago, woahboy said:

My boat was designed my McCurdy & Rhodes. I wonder who came up with this sheer?

seafarer26.PNG

I'm a big fan of the Seafarers.  As pretty as the 26 is, she has a flatter sheer than what I've always thought of as the classic, swoopy sheer.  There's a Seafarer 31 berthed at the yacht club next to my marina.  Just a beautiful, beautiful boat.  A Bill Tripp design.  Totally impractical for the way I sail, but I do love to look at her, whether she's at the dock or sailing:

SEAFARER 31 MKI drawing

@Hukilau. I do agree that the 31 is a bit more "Classic" looking than mine. Maybe mine is more of a Phil Rhodes design. 

8 minutes ago, chester said:

some guy with a straight edge?

@chester You could be right. Oh well. I like her. 

Just now, chester said:

absolutely!  i was just riffin' ;)

I know...... No offense taken. 

3 hours ago, woahboy said:

@Hukilau. I do agree that the 31 is a bit more "Classic" looking than mine. Maybe mine is more of a Phil Rhodes design. 

M&R was not Phil Rhodes - McCurdy worked for Phil and Bodie was (I believe) Phil's son. That firm started in the mid 60's and Phil died around '70

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

M&R was not Phil Rhodes - McCurdy worked for Phil and Bodie was (I believe) Phil's son. That firm started in the mid 60's and Phil died around '70

Ahh, okay. Thanks for sorting that out for me. All in all, I still like the lines of my 4kSB

4 hours ago, woahboy said:

My boat was designed my McCurdy & Rhodes. I wonder who came up with this sheer? I like it's lines.

seafarer26.PNG

Probably James McCurdy. https://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/24/obituaries/james-mccurdy-72-designer-and-racer-of-ocean-sailboats.html

Lots of fiberglass boats have straight sheers, which sounds like a contradiction in terms. I think it's an ease-of-construction thing, meaning also a low cost thing.

6 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

Lots of fiberglass boats have straight sheers, which sounds like a contradiction in terms. I think it's an ease-of-construction thing, meaning also a low cost thing.

She is sturdy. No balsa core to get wet. 

14 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

Probably James McCurdy. https://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/24/obituaries/james-mccurdy-72-designer-and-racer-of-ocean-sailboats.html

I think it's more an interior space thing and a wide beam thing - wide boats generally don't look right with low swept sheers - they can look like bananas when they heel a little.

12 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

Mass eh? Amazed they manages to work Massachusetts into a lyric. Up with with the Wichita Lineman.

So can you go take a look and put  deposit in it for me or not?

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

So can you go take a look and put  deposit in it for me or not?

:) There ain’t much more Earth possible twixt it and me right now.

But here’s some driving music for ya: I see your Adam, and raise you this one. Best listened to on mute. (Jump to 2.30 but don’t expect much - it morphs into some sort of a trailer trash ceilidh to hillbilly fiddle whilst butchering the original :))

• Like 1
21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think it's more an interior space thing and a wide beam thing - wide boats generally don't look right with low swept sheers - they can look like bananas when they heel a little.

Funny - some of my first experiences are with a half tonner. A modified Santana 26 lengthened from the transom back to make it a 28' half tonner under IOR. The owner built a 3/4 ton Mull design for the '78 world's in Victoria. I'm was just a helper, not a shipwright, but highly involved with the project for two years.

But I raced on a Chaser 29 "Hortense" in the '80s with some success winning V.A.R.C. boat of the year (highest points for any boat for the season) twice; with two different owners! Good boat but not exactly a cruising boat.    

7 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:
9 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

How is that not mockworthy?

Well, the basic boat is a class called the Puddle Duck, so it's kind of self-mocking already. I think it looks very cool

I wonder if the run signals work

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
11 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:
13 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

How is that not mockworthy?

Well, the basic boat is a class called the Puddle Duck, so it's kind of self-mocking already. I think it looks very cool

I wonder if the run signals work

FB- Doug

What Doug said.

I believe I remember the headlights working, not sure about the turn signals.

Also, I think this one was part of a heroic herd of PDR's that rescued a capsized, dismasted boat on the TX200 and used spare PDR rig parts to build a jury rig which allowed the rescued boat to finish.

• Like 1

Am laid up with sciatica! Yuk. Have been assuaging my soul by perving over boats, but have only added one to my large psychic fleet - this real poppet of a creek crawler

261753_-_photo_1_1554299467_big.jpg

261753_-_photo_3_1557307887_big.jpg

261753_-_photo_2_1557307886_big.jpg

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Daysailer-for-sale/halmatic-whaler-lifting-keel/261753

A lovely hull with an odd but beautiful rig, and a most peculiar conversion.

As the ad doesn't say: WSSSSS; Well Suited for a Solitary Sailor of Short Stature

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

As the ad doesn't say: WSSSSS; Well Suited for a Solitary Sailor of Short Stature

Very cool vessel - but what is the point of that rig?  Gaff + boomless, looks like it's sheeted to the tip of the canoe stern - how do you get the clew out downwind?  

I think it’s sheeted to a little horse over the tiller, and you have indeed picked the rig’s weak point. Having said that there’s lots of precedent for loose footed mains, including the famous Irens Romilly. I think there may be a whisker pole lashed to the starboard shroud for use in holding it out downwind. 

4 hours ago, socalrider said:

Very cool vessel - but what is the point of that rig?  Gaff + boomless, looks like it's sheeted to the tip of the canoe stern - how do you get the clew out downwind?  

Pushing the clew out is one of the few uses for the paddle on my Adventure Island. The others are whapping the sail to unstick telltales, emergency rudder, and going backward, though I understand the newer Mirage Drives have some kind of reverse gear. The paddle is totally obsolete for forward propulsion.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:29 AM, Mr. Ed said:

I think it’s sheeted to a little horse over the tiller, and you have indeed picked the rig’s weak point. Having said that there’s lots of precedent for loose footed mains, including the famous Irens Romilly. I think there may be a whisker pole lashed to the starboard shroud for use in holding it out downwind. 

Hrrmmm. Hinge that whisker pole to the lower portion of the mast to provide both downward and outward tension on the clew, and you have just created a revolutionary sail control device! 

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Already taken down.  Where was it being kept?

It was down a few hours after being posted. The ad indicated Coal Harbour.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, Mr. Ed said:

Am laid up with sciatica! Yuk. Have been assuaging my soul by perving over boats, but have only added one to my large psychic fleet - this real poppet of a creek crawler

261753_-_photo_1_1554299467_big.jpg

261753_-_photo_3_1557307887_big.jpg

261753_-_photo_2_1557307886_big.jpg

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Daysailer-for-sale/halmatic-whaler-lifting-keel/261753

Does "this real poppet of a creek crawler" mean that it is of shallow draft?

And what are all those holes in the cliffs?  Car park?  Cannon openings? End of days bunker? (oh wait... that came and went, didn't it?)

I like the bow, but the cabin looks like a pop-up Catalina 22.

edit:   I have it!  Holes are for the sweeps.  This way they can turn the island around for better sun angles.

31 minutes ago, Windward said:

Does "this real poppet of a creek crawler" mean that it is of shallow draft?

And what are all those holes in the cliffs?  Car park?  Cannon openings? End of days bunker? (oh wait... that came and went, didn't it?)

I like the bow, but the cabin looks like a pop-up Catalina 22.

edit:   I have it!  Holes are for the sweeps.  This way they can turn the island around for better sun angles.

Needles Old Battery sea level fort gun ports at the foot of the Needles Alum Bay uk

and the inside view

• Like 2

That is super cool.   The second video.   Accessible only from the sea I would guess.  

Creepy to be in those tunnels

nice closing shot with a sailboat. A+

Don't know if this has turned up before, but someone on Cruiser's forum wanted to know if this Farr design, Gerontius, would be an appropriate boat for a new sailor- they were concerned about it having a wood hull. 

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/honolulu-42-sailboat-moving-must-sell/6932592898.html

image.png.4c7e3dc58513034ed09af9db7f9089b9.pngimage.png.d3a210ac93c31b059e334c4ceba2b2ee.png

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nice entry level boat.

50 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

And it's well set up for singlehanding.

Sure. But after a year or two, you outgrow it and start longing for a boat with more cupholders and without Peter Blake's name carved into the dinette. Potential buyer is in Hawaii? If so, there are probably several ferros in Ala Wai more suitable as a first boat, and they do hold their resale value better.

Mocking the intended use by a newb is fun but the ad itself deserves attention.

Need sold NOW. Give-away price! It’s a steal at this price! (The two main winches alone are $8k EACH new (Lewmar 60/3R’s))

MUST SELL!!!
MOVING TO EUROPE!!!

I am literally giving away tens and tens of thousands of dollars in equity. You could buy the boat, sail or ship it to NZ, and sell it there for many many times the price.

I will not be dropping the price any further. This is your last chance to own this beautiful piece of sailing history!

*** Fair Market Value is listed at $45,000 & Replacement Value is $850,000! ***

How to tell if your boat really has a giveaway price tag: it doesn't remain on the market for weeks.

Equity? In an old race boat made of wood?

Markets aren't all that fair to old boats, wooden boats, or especially race boats, so Fair Market Value is almost as funny a concept as equity.

19 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

Don't know if this has turned up before, but someone on Cruiser's forum wanted to know if this Farr design, Gerontius, would be an appropriate boat for a new sailor- they were concerned about it having a wood hull. 

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/honolulu-42-sailboat-moving-must-sell/6932592898.html

image.png.4c7e3dc58513034ed09af9db7f9089b9.pngimage.png.d3a210ac93c31b059e334c4ceba2b2ee.png

Having worked the pit-notice how it has it's own little office space- on that boat for a Lipton Cup regatta, I can tell you that's a whole lot of boat for a new sailor or a sailor without a whole lot of friends.  The wood part speaks for itself.  Another whole lot of people in Hawaii have pumped/bailed a whole lot of ocean out of that boat over a whole lot of years.  

As I mentioned on another thread recently, this boat has been heavily modified with a low budget "git er dun" mindset. Much taller rig with in line shrouds, wheel steering, that pit area inset, teak decks removed, who knows what else down below?? Get a serious survey.

3 hours ago, longy said:

As I mentioned on another thread recently, this boat has been heavily modified with a low budget "git er dun" mindset. Much taller rig with in line shrouds, wheel steering, that pit area inset, teak decks removed, who knows what else down below?? Get a serious survey.

What could possibly go right? 

This seems interesting to me-

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/d/elgin-19-customflex-mallard-sailboat/6948207712.html

Customflex built a lot of racing dinghies Back In The Day but I never saw anything like this mini-cruiser. Hull looks shapely, unlike a lot of mini-cruisers. It also looks unlikely to respond well to being loaded down, though.

00b0b_b1lXzvvWv56_600x450.jpg

00r0r_9txCM7PkpYN_600x450.jpg

That's a LOT of cabin for a little boat, other than that I like it.

FB- Doug

On 8/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, Steam Flyer said:

That's a LOT of cabin for a little boat, other than that I like it.

If it's going to be a cabin worthy of the name on a boat that small, it has to kind of stand out.

I think I'd like the cabin in inclement weather. But I'd probably prefer to just be ashore until it's nice out. Nice for those Watertribers who continue in most any weather.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:27 PM, Repastinate Tom said:

If it's going to be a cabin worthy of the name on a boat that small, it has to kind of stand out.

I think I'd like the cabin in inclement weather. But I'd probably prefer to just be ashore until it's nice out. Nice for those Watertribers who continue in most any weather.

Actually, for Watertribers who stop in most inclement weather!

- Stumbling

I'm skeptical of the used boat market. Most of the time, I hear stories of great boats being given away. I only rarely hear of boats being sold for asking and asking near what they cost.

I don't mind the idea of buying a boat. I just want to be able to move on when the time comes. A boat wont let you do that. I'm leaning towards a participation involvement at the moment.