• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

Not sure if bad form to quote ones self but that was me back on June 17th just before my trip to Florida. When I got back I did manage to take a trip to Albany to take a look at this boat and

Posted Images

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, anthonysc said:

Not sure about stately.  
The Seilester is a 25' Coronado, someone change the interior layout before I got her.
She was owned by Rose (Gibsons, BC)
Then by me (Gibsons,BC
then Tim (Vancouver, BC
and then @Vaeredil and now ????

I still miss her.... a little small, a little slow, but oh so much fun sailing around Howe Sound

seilaster 2.jpg

seilaster.jpg

seilasterat rest.jpg

DSCF0020A.jpg

Holy shit! Those are some amazing pictures, thank you for posting. I did own her for about a year, was teaching myself to sail and eventually headed up the coast. Did a lot of hopping around but I was just in Discovery Channel motoring north past Campbell River when the motor failed. I stayed in the marina there for a month and then sold her. Unfortunately it's been a few years and I don't remember the name of the lady I sold it to. I never actually met her in person, a friend of hers came to look at the boat (and see if they could figure out the engine problem), but she ended up sending me money electronically and I left for Ontario before she arrived. Her plan was to sail it to the east side of Quadra Island and anchor in Drew Harbor near Herriot Bay, and work on it until the spring (it was mid November by that time), and I'm not sure what after that. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who lives on the Island, but I would *LOVE* to know what happened to her eventually. She was a little slow and a little small, like you say, but a damn good boat at that. 

I'm very curious, you said that the interior layout had been changed before you got it. I'm not sure how well you remember to little Yanmar on there but there was originally an oil pressure sender light that came off a little fitting in the top of the block. At some point before I owned her, someone had changed that to a T-fitting so there was the light plus a gauge as well. Just curious if that was you or someone before/after? (or if you remember at all!).

From the look of these pictures, very little changed from when they were taken to when I owned her. Thank you again for posting these, it's really amazing to have some good pictures of her.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's one of those full race 1/2 Tonners - stupid slingshot cockpit that ruins the interior and a hydraulic drive powered by Volvo.

2 minutes ago, andykane said:

If you want to bid on an old C&C, this should be a much better buy. As of a couple years ago the boat was racing so shouldn't be too zombified.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/victoria-notice-of-vessel-auction/7005056954.html

This posting just went up - someone trying to beat a low/no bid?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/C-and-C-33---5500_34847859

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's one of those full race 1/2 Tonners - stupid slingshot cockpit that ruins the interior and a hydraulic drive powered by Volvo.

For an old full race half toner, the pics make it look reasonably well cared for by a recent PO

Yeah, there's a couple or three of them around here. I heard one was rotting on the hook at Newcastle island off Nanaimo but I've seen a couple that were well kept.

They have the rep of being pretty good for early |OR boats - stern isn't distorted to extremes. They were built at the height of the IOR hardware wars so the decks are completely covered with gear. One I remember (Magnum?) even had the shrouds set up on some sort of athwartships slide so the lee shrouds could be pulled inboard a couple of inches - just to get that sheeting angle JUST right. :rolleyes: They are very racy good looking.

Probably a fun daysailer - except for that Volvo MD powered hydraulic drive.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

This posting just went up - someone trying to beat a low/no bid?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/C-and-C-33---5500_34847859

The aforementioned auction was on October 26, now this boat shows up, listed as being bought in 2018. Very strange, unless it was a no-bid auction. If the boat is in decent shape, that would be a good price.

The ads indicated there was only 1 hour to view the boats before the bidding started.

Maybe something serious but a bit hidden showed up after they "won" the auction.

A sound C&C 33 seems an unlikely boat to abandon to be auctioned off.

Or to advertise for $5K.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:26 PM, Vaeredil said:

Holy shit! Those are some amazing pictures, thank you for posting. I did own her for about a year, was teaching myself to sail and eventually headed up the coast. Did a lot of hopping around but I was just in Discovery Channel motoring north past Campbell River when the motor failed. I stayed in the marina there for a month and then sold her. Unfortunately it's been a few years and I don't remember the name of the lady I sold it to. I never actually met her in person, a friend of hers came to look at the boat (and see if they could figure out the engine problem), but she ended up sending me money electronically and I left for Ontario before she arrived. Her plan was to sail it to the east side of Quadra Island and anchor in Drew Harbor near Herriot Bay, and work on it until the spring (it was mid November by that time), and I'm not sure what after that. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who lives on the Island, but I would *LOVE* to know what happened to her eventually. She was a little slow and a little small, like you say, but a damn good boat at that. 

I'm very curious, you said that the interior layout had been changed before you got it. I'm not sure how well you remember to little Yanmar on there but there was originally an oil pressure sender light that came off a little fitting in the top of the block. At some point before I owned her, someone had changed that to a T-fitting so there was the light plus a gauge as well. Just curious if that was you or someone before/after? (or if you remember at all!).

From the look of these pictures, very little changed from when they were taken to when I owned her. Thank you again for posting these, it's really amazing to have some good pictures of her.

It had a gauge when I got her.  I made no modifications of any sort.  
Had some engine problems once otherwise it ran fine.  Had it serviced (spring checkup), turned out the mechanic had inserted the impeller wrong and it overheated and shut down automatically.  Towed into the marina ( was maybe 100 yds from marina) and had if fixed.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Other than the "I'll sell your share for you" bit, what is so unique about it?

Partnerships aren't unique, but I've never seen a partnership offer of any kind on Sailboatlistings or Craig's List before.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, Monkey Butler said:

I want this.

Only problem is I'm in Central Mass. and driving to Florida tomorrow or I would go take a look. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/boa/d/albany-sailboat/6917525180.html

Not sure if bad form to quote ones self but that was me back on June 17th just before my trip to Florida.
66076408_10105266798151638_6659529508946706432_o.thumb.jpg.4188b01df547db464a1a9d562e711960.jpg

When I got back I did manage to take a trip to Albany to take a look at this boat and considered making an offer.

IMG_20190706_123331.thumb.jpg.849694baef2d32c814fe38028d5e6b88.jpg

But something else came up an it just never happened.

Over the next weeks and months I ran into this boat on Facebook and various forums and universally people seemed to think it was a great deal and if only they could make it there they would surely buy it.

Some more time went by and and just for the hell of it I searched the Albany Craigslist but didn't see the boat listed anymore so I assumed it had sold but I still had the sellers contact info.

Well long story short, a little over 5 months after it all began I dragged home this sweet Black Friday deal. 

On the Mass. Pike

1200_1.thumb.jpg.b061355bd37d3915c38d32e7a6eab4bb.jpg

In the Back Yard.

1200_3.thumb.jpg.b01787e4afae53a9ae6df0f2b5a6b7f6.jpg

Next to Stink the Dink.

1200_4.thumb.jpg.ccc58cc9ba75dbbe763cf7c871b7d35c.jpg

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Nice! Good to see you with a boat (or is it another boat?).

This is "the" boat for now. I sold my Cheoy Lee 35 project after my neighbor announced he would be building a retaining wall effectively land locking my boatyard. He still hasn't built it so maybe it was a bluff or maybe it has something to do with losing his job, crashing his Harley, truck engine blowing or karma but at least i know I'm going sailing next spring.

Thanks for noticing.

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

This is "the" boat for now. I sold my Cheoy Lee 35 project after my neighbor announced he would be building a retaining wall effectively land locking my boatyard. He still hasn't built it so maybe it was a bluff or maybe it has something to do with losing his job, crashing his Harley, truck engine blowing or karma but at least i know I'm going sailing next spring.

Thanks for noticing.

I remember the Cheoy Lee, and was sad that you had to sell it. It seemed like such a nice boat. Sometimes smaller is better. Sometimes Every day or two, I get tempted by a larger boat, with lots of "systems," or by a wooden beauty, but so far, knowing my limitations, I have resisted.

Now your neighbor sounds interesting. He could be a character in a T.R. Pearson novel.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bull City said:

I remember the Cheoy Lee, and was sad that you had to sell it. It seemed like such a nice boat. Sometimes smaller is better. Sometimes Every day or two, I get tempted by a larger boat, with lots of "systems," or by a wooden beauty, but so far, knowing my limitations, I have resisted.

Now your neighbor sounds interesting. He could be a character in a T.R. Pearson novel.

Right now Bull the Capri seems is a better boat for the times. Last year I had a few projects I was going to get out of the way and then tackle the Cheoy Lee. Almost on queue I got a blood clot in my leg and my wife broke her humerus (not funny BTW). Then my neighbor announced his plans. If I can't finish out a bigger boat right here then this make infinity more scene.

3 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I was thinking the upper half was a filter of some sort.

It is a good looking boat, to my eye.

main.jpg

A friend had one of these. Comfortable and sail pretty well. I'd rate it as deserving the HR reputation.

His did not have the industrial coffee maker (if that's what it really is) on the bulkhead though.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

I was thinking the upper half was a filter of some sort.

It is a good looking boat, to my eye.

main.jpg

Seems to have done away with the cabin-top handrails.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Yes, I'd say that's the most clear sign that this 'total refit' was not completed before something made the owner stop. The designer galley sink contrasts with the lack of a complete set of cushions and either a spartan- or unfinished-looking head arrangement.

Nice looking boat though, with a lot of money invested in 2017. Would be interesting to know why the owner changed direction.

My morning ritual involves making a pot of coffee then trolling the interwebs looking at boats. Sometimes finding fodder for mocking, sometimes a jewel.

This was listed in San Diego boats. One of you old surfer dudes would look good cruising down the PCH in this.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/san-diego-pontiac-catalina/7030514863.html

00S0S_fJJRIUgVQlB_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, bmiller said:

My morning ritual involves making a pot of coffee then trolling the interwebs looking at boats. Sometimes finding fodder for mocking, sometimes a jewel.

This was listed in San Diego boats. One of you old surfer dudes would look good cruising down the PCH in this.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/san-diego-pontiac-catalina/7030514863.html

Man that thing screams potential - that could be a VERY cool tow vehicle! 

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

What we used to call a ghetto sled.  Make that big V8 whine!  (Looks like a tough neighborhood.)

11 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Man that thing screams potential - that could be a VERY cool tow vehicle! 

Tow vehicle you say? From wiki.

800px-M2-F1_with_towing_car.jpg

The M2-F1 and its 1963 Catalina convertible tow vehicle

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, chester said:

ya think you could drop the body on a sierra 4x4 chassis? 

*I* couldn't - I did one frame off resto on a car - a 65 SS Impala - and have NO desire to ever put that much work into a rusty POS ever again!   Someone w/the tools?  Shoot - it's metal, anything can be stretched/bent/welded, if you have enough time and $$. 

On 12/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, Bull City said:

And the lifelines. Sails may be somewhere as well.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Curiosity got the best of me, I asked the seller. It's a custom built filter/tank contraption. Pump water in the top, it filters into the bottom tank.

What do they use for filter media, poppies? 

19 hours ago, bmiller said:

Curiosity got the best of me, I asked the seller. It's a custom built filter/tank contraption. Pump water in the top, it filters into the bottom tank.

I was going to suggest a big coffee maker & urn.

What's with the cabin sole?

There was one of these at our club for a while. The fellow had sailed it from Sweden to Greenland with the idea of doing the North West Passage. Sometime during the attempt they had a catastrophic engine failure and had the boat shipped to Montreal.  They stayed at our club for a few years before sailing it back to Sweden

The pic does not do it justice. It's quite a nice looking boat, in person 

Almost considered this mock-worthy given the context of the article, but if the reason for rescue was depletion of provisions then I can't hold that against the vessel. I'd say for $3k it looks like a good deal.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/oxnard-newly-constructed-30-sailboat/7028397616.html

From this article:

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2019/11/15/#coast-guard-rescues-man-homemade-sailboat-off-socal

I thought the Coast Guard only tows in true emergency situations?

That does look like a neat boat; maybe it's only 3K because it has no engine.  That would explain the need for a tow and why the voyage from Japan took so long.

A friend on Kentucky Lake was looking at this Soverel 33.  At one point there was a trailer but not mentioned in the listing.  No affiliation.

https://westky.craigslist.org/boa/d/grand-rivers-1987-soverel-33/7037256392.html

More images here that should give a better idea of overall condition.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/soverel-33-3615270/

On 12/9/2019 at 2:38 AM, AmericanVagrant said:

Almost considered this mock-worthy given the context of the article, but if the reason for rescue was depletion of provisions then I can't hold that against the vessel. I'd say for $3k it looks like a good deal.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/oxnard-newly-constructed-30-sailboat/7028397616.html

From this article:

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2019/11/15/#coast-guard-rescues-man-homemade-sailboat-off-socal

Unless they ran out of grub b/c the boat is so damned slow!

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Well, you would need a watermaker and an acre of sprouts, but apart from that?

That North Pacific crossing has form for starvation and other catastrophes. Stories of the Manila galleons alone would fill a thick book with horror and death. It's a long route with no stops and doubtful winds: cheat a bit too low, or if the Pacific high is out of its usual location, and you are entry #435 in the scurvy sweepstakes.:o

800px-Andres_Urdaneta_Tornaviaje.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Me too, but I can't seem to get a contact number from the ad. "Problem"

Anybody else have this issue or is it just me?

did you try clicking on show contact info

if so you get

which is a phone number for a business in Massachuesetts

20 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Me too, but I can't seem to get a contact number from the ad. "Problem"

Anybody else have this issue or is it just me?

Just you

calls only no texting 508.,.,888.,.,5000

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

did you try clicking on show contact info

if so you get

which is a phone number for a business in Massachuesetts

This has the smell of a wife assuager.   Putting an ad in Craigslist with either an unobtainum price or an incorrect phone number.   "But honey, I have it in Craigslist! (As no calls come in!)

- Stumbling

• Like 1
On 1/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, Santana20AE said:

I like it.  

I love it.  I wish I were rich enough to be able to pay someone to keep it up for me.

• Like 1

Not Craigslist, not a sales advert, but I couldn’t figure out where else this solution to weed choked reservoirs belonged.    Tip of the hat until we learn to control our invasives, and fertilizer.   

635DA582-24A2-4177-AF53-521750F6B72A.jpeg

D4575B18-F1FA-44CE-A72D-C42C1D2353B2.jpeg

On 1/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, Ishmael said:

Russian from the toes to the waist, Turkish on up. Not a bad combo, but piss-poor photography.

It's LA, so fair chance the young women are Iranian (or Persian, as some prefer.) Huge ex-pat/exile community there. Brought to you by our enterprising salesfriend Craig Casey:

01313_7mmrdwTq2gJ_600x450.jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, Lark said:

Not Craigslist, not a sales advert, but I couldn’t figure out where else this solution to weed choked reservoirs belonged.    Tip of the hat until we learn to control our invasives, and fertilizer.   

635DA582-24A2-4177-AF53-521750F6B72A.jpeg

D4575B18-F1FA-44CE-A72D-C42C1D2353B2.jpeg

Here is what the Crawfish guys in Louisiana are using these days. Check out that drive system!

DSC_1654+edit.JPG

• Like 1
On 1/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, Lark said:

Wow.   Never dreamed such things existed.   Thanks.

Now I'm embarrassed; I'm using that same umbrella on my patio.  How was I supposed to know it was marine-grade?

• 2 months later...

Looks well loved and it's the lowest asking price on YW - that's only about $20K USD. Seems cheap for such a solid boat with a newer engine.

Holy shit, I'm not sure if I'm misguided or not but If it were not for corona, this looks very very interesting to me. 

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/85222

Trifle, Derek Kelsall 42' trimaran from 1966, asking 13k USD. 

Anyone have more info??

21DF3A22-0956-466B-BABF-88F64B509395.jpg

621EE1AC-712D-49F7-AD5F-9DBF98239A3B.jpg

DFB9E78A-8C51-462E-B70D-FFECC9271474.jpg

Hi All,

TomH- thanks indeed for drawing attention to this one. I can fill in a few more details. Probably the oldest foam sandwich yacht (50 yo) and, I would guess Trifle to be good for a few more decades. Maj. General Raph Farrant, the commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes, UK's top YC was a great first client after Toria. Toria was a designed, built, skippered and won in the 66 Round Britain as well as first foam sandwich of note and setting the style which every successful racing tri has followed since. Every time Raph visited during build in Cornwall, he brought a packet of Smarties for my 18 mo daughter Toria. She called him "Smarty Farrant!! Tri Toria caught fire while Toy Bullimore was in OSTAR 76. She had been in previous OSTAR called Gancia Girl.

I took ever chance to crew in the S. coast races. On one occasion in the Round the Island, it was amusing to hear Raph telling the skipper of a submarine in no uncertain terms that he needed to get out of the way of us as a sailboat. These were the heyday of multihull racing with the Crystal Trophy and a regular for me with either Trifle or with Nick Keig in Legs of Mann.

She should be well worth getting back into sailing trim. The aft cabin is an addition. I am not sure if she still has the same cross beams - she was de-mountable but the only time was once when I did some maintenance some years later in Kent. The main beam was quite heavy. HUlls are same as Toria, with the addition of the slight crease you can see in the profile. She is polyester, uni glass and 75 kg density Plasticell (cross linked pvc). This remains our spec for all cruising boats without ever seeing any need to change.

Happy boating,

Derek.

I suspect this has been mentioned, as it's been up for a month or more: 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/alameda-40-racer-cruiser-for-sale/7088187703.html

And: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84901

This is Sixpence / Audacious owned by Dennis Choate. It's not my thing but I can't help but feel an attraction. I'm glad I can't go see it.

• Like 2