8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nearly $40K to us when all is said & done.

Kind of a lot for a 31 year old 30', even a very nice one.

He'll probably get what he's asking for it or at least close. They didn't make that many of these boats, and there are almost always people looking to buy one. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

Not sure if bad form to quote ones self but that was me back on June 17th just before my trip to Florida. When I got back I did manage to take a trip to Albany to take a look at this boat and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:
2 hours ago, chester said:

boy, what a gloomy gus.  :P

As I pointed out to a project lead, experience can be mistaken for negativity by those who don't have it.

"Cynicism... or as many of us prefer to think of it, Realism"

;)

FB- Doug

• Like 2

Near NC on CL or Facebook there is a Pearson 303 for sale. I don't know what the price started at, but I saw it at $12k, and watched it drop to $6k presently. (!) Appears to be turnkey and checks a lot of boxes for me. That said, googlefoo reviews are not kind. 

One called it "excessively ordinary." 

Still ... a lotta boat for 6k.

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nearly $40K to us when all is said & done.

Kind of a lot for a 31 year old 30', even a very nice one.

The last one at WVYC went for in the highish 20's CND. Good nik too. 40 is long reach IMHO. And there is this: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1990-olson-911-7655840/

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Near NC on CL or Facebook there is a Pearson 303 for sale. I don't know what the price started at, but I saw it at $12k, and watched it drop to $6k presently. (!) Appears to be turnkey and checks a lot of boxes for me. That said, googlefoo reviews are not kind. 

One called it "excessively ordinary." 

Still ... a lotta boat for 6k.

This one?

https://sailingtexas.com/201901/spearson303120.html

Should have jumped on it, charming younger couple and very knowledgeable sailors. That boat was at Blackbeard.

There are several here including one of my best friend's which was at our dock for a year after H. Florence. They are station wagons, but they're well built and they do really sail.

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

This one?

https://sailingtexas.com/201901/spearson303120.html

Should have jumped on it, charming younger couple and very knowledgeable sailors. That boat was at Blackbeard.

There are several here including one of my best friend's which was at our dock for a year after H. Florence. They are station wagons, but they're well built and they do really sail.

FB- Doug

Yeah. That "excessively ordinary" was a factor. I'd prefer something with more  ... elan. Plus the gods forbid I get too comfortable. It's sooo easy as a liveaboard not to sail. I fell into that with last boat. That moment you buy a plant, even if it's a pot plant, the die is cast.  

There's a Cat 30 in VA at $7500 currently. Was $12. Looks good ... a ton of upgrades ... and a 1977 raw water cooled one banger. You know that's not enough hp for that big elephant if you need it in a jam. Plus raw water. Heh ... close inspection reveals a brand shiny new exhaust elbow! Still, I just can't. Or at least I haven't yet. Another fine sailing boat has a brand new very desirable engine  ... for the price of the engine. BUT it draws more than I prefer.

I love first world problems.

• Like 1

44.5 is crazy money for any 82 IOR racer cruiser.  I like Albins, and this is a neat one, but they are relatively small for their size, and this one, while in nice shape, looks to me to be a good $20k overpriced.  Just saying...

• Like 1
On 12/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, steele said:

This popped up recenly. To bad about the wheel, and I do not know if the price is good, but a great boat if you are looking for a 30 footer

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/olympia-olson-911-se/7242195894.html

image.png.6c4fbd625e73271d0608f54f1a19ef41.png

I seem to remember it for sale around a year ago?  No too many Olson 911's with wheels.  The 911s is a great boat, but this one, as Sloop points out will need some effort to make race-able...fixed 2 blade prop needs to go, bottom paint looks like it was applied with a 1" nap roller, wheel needs conversion back to a tiller, needs some sails, etc, etc.  

1 hour ago, Crash said:

44.5 is crazy money for any 82 IOR racer cruiser.  I like Albins, and this is a neat one, but they are relatively small for their size, and this one, while in nice shape, looks to me to be a good $20k overpriced.  Just saying...

Surveyors report from 2019 valued it at $25k.  Figure I'll keep an eye on it for a while.

43 minutes ago, AgentLocke said:

Surveyors report from 2019 valued it at $25k.  Figure I'll keep an eye on it for a while.

One of my "favorite" tactics for buying used cars is to give an early offer at what I think is a fair price, and when I'm turned down, say "I understand, but should you change your mind later, let me know, my offer still stands..."   You'd be surprised at how many call backs I've gotten. ;)

Plus I think it's kinda mockworthy. I follow this CL board like the rest of you check the obits and this seller has offered various boats for awhile. He always has two. Maybe always the same two. On one series of ads he was offering women a liveaboard boat (to include sailing lessons and who knows what else) for $1 and affordable payments. That ad was my fav because it ended with "if you don't even have a dollar in yer pocket, don't call." 

I'd bet $3K cash would get that vessel. 

Somebody save me from this:  Classic Santa Cruz 27 Ultra Light PHRF Flyer With Dual Axle Trailer... (craigslist.org)

One of my "dream" boats, but I need to concentrate on getting my current "cruising" boat ready for a long trip.  I called the guy a couple of months back when it first appeared, but I know if I make the 8 hour round trip I will probably buy it and it would sit in the back yard.  I keep thinking, "but yeah, I could trailer it to the Keys, New England, heck, the Pacific!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Somebody save me from this:  Classic Santa Cruz 27 Ultra Light PHRF Flyer With Dual Axle Trailer... (craigslist.org)

One of my "dream" boats, but I need to concentrate on getting my current "cruising" boat ready for a long trip.  I called the guy a couple of months back when it first appeared, but I know if I make the 8 hour round trip I will probably buy it and it would sit in the back yard.  I keep thinking, "but yeah, I could trailer it to the Keys, New England, heck, the Pacific!

If that boat was anywhere west of the Mississippi I'd go get it tomorrow, seriously. It would be a perfect day sailor for dillon.

Tell you what, you go get it and ill pick it up in early February. I'm visiting friends in Ft ************ and could rent a truck/van one way to haul it. 

• Like 1

Not sure of the 2x4 poor mans solution on the trailer (I'd get someone to weld on some braces), but other than that, the trailer is almost worth the asking price.  And the boat looks to be in pretty nice shape as well.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, bmiller said:

If that boat was anywhere west of the Mississippi I'd go get it tomorrow, seriously.

No trailer but:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/d/santa-cruz-santa-cruz-27/7245385317.html

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like it's had a spray can rebuild.

Without any wasted time and money with tape. "Mask" being a dirty word here and Minnesota. Still, put this in a heavy skiff, add a bimini, babe, and beers and  ... who hoo, you are livin the dream without a $10K outboard motor. 

On 12/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, SloopJonB said:

This looks like a sweet deal. Known as one of C&C's best - the 43's came out of the custom shop IIRC.

I seem to recall we had a friend right here who restored one and was only asking $300K or so for it.

image.png.a899d4853a78a5e5a7dc8738f1845789.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/boa/d/west-vancouver-north-1981-cc-43-custom/7242942291.html

I walk past this one every couple days on the way to my 29 and lust for it.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Without any wasted time and money with tape. "Mask" being a dirty word here and Minnesota. Still, put this in a heavy skiff, add a bimini, babe, and beers and  ... who hoo, you are livin the dream without a $10K outboard motor. 

hell ya!

On 12/14/2020 at 9:25 AM, bridhb said:

Wow, I've been looking all over for this deal! Wish it wasn't in FL. Cant get further away from me and still be in the USA.

but something is really bothering me - Why does it not show on my search all craigslist search?

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=008732268318596706411:nhtd4cwl5xu&q=santa cruz 27&oq=santa cruz 27&gs_l=partner-generic.3...2072.4863.0.5237.13.13.0.0.0.0.76.219.13.13.0.csems%2Cnrl%3D13...0.2776j830756j13...1.34.partner-generic..2.11.210.y3foOxu8IxM 

2 hours ago, Baldur said:

Wow, I've been looking all over for this deal! Wish it wasn't in FL. Cant get further away from me and still be in the USA.

but something is really bothering me - Why does it not show on my search all craigslist search?

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=008732268318596706411:nhtd4cwl5xu&q=santa cruz 27&oq=santa cruz 27&gs_l=partner-generic.3...2072.4863.0.5237.13.13.0.0.0.0.76.219.13.13.0.csems%2Cnrl%3D13...0.2776j830756j13...1.34.partner-generic..2.11.210.y3foOxu8IxM 

I don't know.  I use "searchtempest" and enter "sail" under boats and how far away I am willing to consider, and you see some interesting things.  Got a $300 complete and functional laser that way.  I sure hope the SC went to a good home if it was sold.  It would have been a fun ride I think.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, Blue Crab said:

Exactamundo. A guy could get laid in that thing!

You might be right.

it looks a lot like The African Queen and Bogie & Hepburn's characters did the big nasty on her so...

19 hours ago, bridhb said:

I don't know.  I use "searchtempest" and enter "sail" under boats and how far away I am willing to consider, and you see some interesting things.  Got a $300 complete and functional laser that way.  I sure hope the SC went to a good home if it was sold.  It would have been a fun ride I think.

What about sailboatlistings?  Listings on there are sometimes a decade old. Plus, I just looked up a boat that I know is for sale elsewhere ... nada. What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

What about sailboatlistings?  Listings on there are sometimes a decade old. Plus, I just looked up a boat that I know is for sale elsewhere ... nada. What am I missing?

Searchtempest chews through craigslist.  I don't see the santa cruz in there anymore so I guess it is sold.  Yeah, sailboat listings doesn't seem to clean out their inventory very reliably.  I find multiple listings for the same boat sometimes also.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Baldur said:

Nope. The ad is still up and easily found if you go to craigslist and drill down to boats for sail and search for santa cruz. 

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/apollo-beach-classic-santa-cruz-27/7245764920.html

Damn!  I was really hoping it was sold so I could quit worrying about it.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, bridhb said:
5 hours ago, Baldur said:

Nope. The ad is still up and easily found if you go to craigslist and drill down to boats for sail and search for santa cruz. 

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/d/apollo-beach-classic-santa-cruz-27/7245764920.html

Damn!  I was really hoping it was sold so I could quit worrying about it.

You need to keep a "regrets" list. Kind of the opposite of a bucket list.

I've got a long list of boats I wish I'd bought

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

You need to keep a "regrets" list. Kind of the opposite of a bucket list.

I've got a long list of boats I wish I'd bought

FB- Doug

I have a much longer list of boats I'm glad I didn't buy.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I have a much longer list of boats I'm glad I didn't buy.

Shucks, I have a list of boats I would not except as a gift! Some are by type/class, such as any Buccaneer not designed by Rod MacAlpine-Downey. Some are specific, like that Etchells that sits at a neighbors dock, completely neglected and fucked beyond redemption.

FB- Doug

52 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Shucks, I have a list of boats I would not except as a gift!

There's a non-zero number I've declined to accept as a gift even when free transport was offered to sweeten the deal.

I'm now down to a mere 4 dinghies too. Hoping to make it 3 before too long.

FKT

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Heh. I close on new boat monday. I'm a glass half full guy.

Congrats!  It's a great feeling.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looks very well sorted, this Tayana 37.  Who knows what else could be lurking in it, but it looks like a very good deal of indeed basically everything has been refit, as the ad says.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-1976-tayana-ct-37-sailboat/7256369019.html

They forgot to check off the “purple laminate countertops” delete. Not bad looking for it’s age overall. 

6 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

They forgot to check off the “purple laminate countertops” delete. Not bad looking for it’s age overall. 

Nothing an unfortunate galley fire couldn't fix.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:52 AM, climenuts said:

I walk past this one every couple days on the way to my 29 and lust for it.

The mighty Dopus! The owner worked for C&C and I think he finished it off himself I believe. Nothing really wrong with that but it affect the value compared to a factory out the door one. Maybe why it's not sold yet and there's not much in the way of good used inventory in our area. When people figured out that we weren't going to die the market got real busy. Late for the season but busy. Like May/June when boat shopping starts at the boat show through the Sidney floating show in very early May. 

1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

The mighty Dopus! The owner worked for C&C and I think he finished it off himself I believe. Nothing really wrong with that but it affect the value compared to a factory out the door one. Maybe why it's not sold yet and there's not much in the way of good used inventory in our area. When people figured out that we weren't going to die the market got real busy. Late for the season but busy. Like May/June when boat shopping starts at the boat show through the Sidney floating show in very early May. 

Pics look a lot nicer than a factory finish C&C - much more like their custom shop build.

48 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Any idea what this boat is?

He has a heck of a stash of stuff also.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-32-sailboat/7259479628.html

00404_aQtzSBr6nHiz_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

hole E crap that's alot of stuff!  nicely organized too, he could start an antique chandlery.

offset companion way so take it of your list BM, we can't lose you certain nautical death

On 12/11/2020 at 9:06 AM, Blue Crab said:

Yeah. That "excessively ordinary" was a factor. I'd prefer something with more  ... elan. Plus the gods forbid I get too comfortable. It's sooo easy as a liveaboard not to sail. I fell into that with last boat. That moment you buy a plant, even if it's a pot plant, the die is cast.  

I love first world problems.

We had a couple of hanging planters onboard to grow little bits of lettuce and herbs. They were under the dodger and it worked well. We were going from Mangareva to Tahiti in FP when we got knocked flat by an unfriendly wave, not easy to do with one of Ted Hood's wonderful beasts. When it happened I was on the foredeck tying down the inflatable a bit better in the 50 knots or so we had. I crawled back to the cockpit to see my wife bailing out the muddy water in the cockpit with one of the planters. Doing a terrific job considering that there were four decent-sized drain holes in the planter.

21 minutes ago, chester said:

hole E crap that's alot of stuff!  nicely organized too, he could start an antique chandlery.

offset companion way so take it of your list BM, we can't lose you certain nautical death

Its offset only a bit, you might survive.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Any idea what this boat is?

He has a heck of a stash of stuff also.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-32-sailboat/7259479628.html

00404_aQtzSBr6nHiz_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

Considering how organized the poster is it's surprising that some basic details are left out - like what boat it is, what year was it built, hull / deck materials (probably fiberglass), etc.

48 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I just noticed the bizarre placement of the wheel. There is something just a little off about this boat.

that wheel shouts "massive refit by someone who hasn't a clue about sailing"

14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

that wheel shouts "massive refit by someone who hasn't a clue about sailing"

Or plans to steer pretty much all the time using the autopilot remote.

But yeah I can't see that wheel position working at all for me.

I'm not discussing the antique marine chandlery aspects though. Motes & logs.

FKT

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I just noticed the bizarre placement of the wheel. There is something just a little off about this boat.

00404_aQtzSBr6nHiz_0t20t2_1200x900.jpg

Trying to emulate an Amel? Gots the hard dodger also.

1 hour ago, feist said:

RAN1 for sale again. Besides the riveted deck it looks pretty sweet at $70k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/custom-beason-40-3748352/

Weirs twin cockpit layout, separated by a climb-way-up bridgedeck with the traveller on top, and no grab rails.

All a bit reminiscent of the S&S Swans, which have the high bridgedeck but only one cockpit. , Seems to be a bit of marmite thing, but I am not a fan.

1209787886_RAN1cockpit.jpg.d8c15a00e0ab411ed4b55698bb007623.jpg    1854004711_RAN1cockpit2.jpg.4ed03b62d39b1cf8fafd45e766e9e517.jpg

On 1/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, Blue Crab said:

Heh. I close on new boat monday. I'm a glass half full guy.

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you get?  Lucky bastard

7 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you get?  Lucky bastard

O'Day 28. Not too big, not too small ... just right. I spent the last year looking and trying to decide if I'm too old to continue. 

Thanks for the good vibes, Cap.

• Like 4
On 1/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, Ishmael said:

Looks like a hideously uncomfortable position to steer from.

Fuji 32, worm gear steering, on my 34 wheel was at back of cockpit so  sit beside it. Owned a 34 for about 10 yrs. in the 80's. Comfortable boat, we did the Thorny Path to the Caribbean in it.  Bit of a pig to weather so it took awhile but we were comfortable.

9 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/bpo/d/cheyenne-sailboat/7262400830.html

You are a long way and a long time from home, my friend. Lying Cheyenne, WY1939 Blasdell 26, Maine built, free to good home.

Bottom paint looks ‘pretty’ but it doesn’t look like anti-fouling...

Possibly intended as a trailer sailer? There are no marinas or moorings on the lakes around here. A few down on Cherry Creek Res and Lake Granby; but the vast majority of boats are either dragged from home or dry-sailed. We've never anti-fouled our SJ21, even the summer we left it on a self-installed mooring. Bottom was perfectly clean when we pulled it out.