On 2/6/2021 at 4:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

Whaddya mean Maxx?

It can't be a day over 40.

I'm sure you are being cheeky mate but the Cooper/Peterson Ganbare 35 were done in '74. Donny Mk11 was done in 1978. And this is Baggins that I raced on: https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/doug-peterson-ganbare/ 

That boat pictured above is a MK II as well. And I'm pretty certain that is John Jarman's "Prophecy" that I raced when it was pretty much new in 1976. There was a Mk 3 and might have built two in the early 80's but a big recession and cratered boat business for a couple of years.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Paps,      When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Lace curtains?? and sitting 4 around that table is going to be interesting.  

Gotta hide your anchor in style, of course

The Triton is one of the most beautiful boats of all time.  Many times have I been tempted to buy one, just for the row-away factor.  But then reality sets in and I remember that the design fails to serve the way I use my boat.  Still....

Unfortunately, this owner has fallen into the trap of thinking that his great efforts to remodel a 60 year old boat deserve to be reflected in the price.  About the only upgrade that could push this boat north of 10K is the repower.  Even then, I don't think this boat is worth more than 12K on it's best day.

This is an odd one.  If I'm following correctly, it's a Tartan 27 that has been reworked to more closely conform to S&S's original concept for the boat.  In any case, this is a boat that has had a lot of work poured into it, and the results are quite dramatic.  Less "unique" than the Triton above, so probably more in line with what people would be willing to pay for.  But still, it seems a bit pricey to me for what it is.  I like most of the upgrades, but I'm wondering what lead them to rebuild the Atomic 4 rather than repower?  It doesn't seem like cost was much of a consideration here.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/d/haddam-traditional-fiberglass-yawl/7272115897.html

Here is the website with more pictures and info:

http://www.gryffinaero.com/aethereus.html

Wow!  Besides the repower choice (running out of money towards the end?), I also surprised by the choice to not install a teak and holly sole.  Carpet?  really?  Everything else however looks very, very well done.

Unfortunately, like any custom boat, its likely not worth even the $27,5k he's asking given the cost of most other used boats in that size range these days.

Someone, will get a pretty nice boat...

5 hours ago, Crash said:

Unfortunately, like any custom boat, its likely not worth even the $27,5k he's asking given the cost of most other used boats in that size range these days.

I think there two ways of looking at ÆTHEREUS:

1. Tarted-up Tartan 27, way overpriced
  2. A fine-pedigree, 20-yo semi-custom boat built to a v high standard.  If that's how you view it, $27k is a bargain

A friend sent me this link, asking "What should I bid?" I answered "How much can you afford to lose?"

98533532_934.jpg

50' ketch sailboat registration number ON807789RT.23.21 for auction under Warehouse Lien Act. Sealed bid auctioned due to covid. Auction closes MARCH 10, 2021. Vessel owes $5000 in unpaid moorage. Vessel is located at 3540 Tans Canada Hwy. Must be removed within 72hrs of sale. Isuzu diesel engine. Hydraulics. Sails. 2 large staterooms. Open concept. Woodstove. lots of space. Ferrocement construction.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/50-Ketch-AUCTION_37123515

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

A friend sent me this link, asking "What should I bid?" I answered "How much can you afford to lose?"

98533532_934.jpg

50' ketch sailboat registration number ON807789RT.23.21 for auction under Warehouse Lien Act. Sealed bid auctioned due to covid. Auction closes MARCH 10, 2021. Vessel owes $5000 in unpaid moorage. Vessel is located at 3540 Tans Canada Hwy. Must be removed within 72hrs of sale. Isuzu diesel engine. Hydraulics. Sails. 2 large staterooms. Open concept. Woodstove. lots of space. Ferrocement construction.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/50-Ketch-AUCTION_37123515

A Lefarge 50 huh? A Sampson disaster I guess. Well, you can bury it in your backyard and make it into a bomb shelter.

1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

A Lefarge 50 huh? A Sampson disaster I guess. Well, you can bury it in your backyard and make it into a bomb shelter.

Drag it inland, turn it upside down, cut a door in the side.

If you painted it in garish stripes, I bet you could make the cover of architectural magazines

FB- Doug

3 minutes ago, chester said:

i actually think it's not a bad looking boat. 

For ferro, from a distance, with the right light...

I'm almost tempted to go look at it, it's only 30 minutes away.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a Samson.

Looks extremely fair for a stone boat.

That multi stage poop deck is a real bonus.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I don't think it's a Samson.

Looks extremely fair for a stone boat.

That multi stage poop deck is a real bonus.

Yeah - perfect location for a muzzle-loading cannon or 2.

FKT

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Drag it inland, turn it upside down, cut a door in the side.

If you painted it in garish stripes, I bet you could make the cover of architectural magazines

FB- Doug

Or a hot dog stand.

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, Ishmael said:

For ferro, from a distance, with the right light...

I'm almost tempted to go look at it, it's only 30 minutes away.

Ahh the truth comes out... 

You've been bitten, and are thinking about how awesome it would be to buy a 50' boat for $5k in the dead of winter in Canada.  

Do it!  Post a detailed thread of your experiences!  

It's green!  How bad could it be?  

2 hours ago, socalrider said:

Ahh the truth comes out... 

You've been bitten, and are thinking about how awesome it would be to buy a 50' boat for $5k in the dead of winter in Canada.  

Do it!  Post a detailed thread of your experiences!  

It's green!  How bad could it be?  

There's got to be a mudflat somewhere that you can park it on...

FKT

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Those are reserved for steel boats.

Twin keels get you one of the primo spots.

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Now that you mention it, it would only have to move a few hundred feet.

Screenshot_2021-02-27_Goldstream_Boathouse.thumb.png.4f923e1c2e050005f490fceeb54b62d4.png

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that area the Island equivalent of the Fraser - where boats go to die?

It is definitely a lower-priced option. However, the terminal cases seem to congregate closer to Brentwood Bay.

653740788_Screenshot_2021-02-27BrentwoodBay.thumb.png.9e0b1a75e62f9a25500073cf00344afa.png

The boats on the left side of the pic are real scumbuckets, the lost souls living on engineless 25-foot powerboats and ferro sailboats with no mast. The closer to the marina you get, the better the boats look. This image is from 2016, and many more of these boats moved in over the last couple of years as other municipalities found ways to move them out. That water at the bottom leads to Tod Inlet and Butchart Gardens so you have to run the gauntlet of 0-knot shitboxes to get to the anchorage.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It is definitely a lower-priced option. However, the terminal cases seem to congregate closer to Brentwood Bay.

653740788_Screenshot_2021-02-27BrentwoodBay.thumb.png.9e0b1a75e62f9a25500073cf00344afa.png

The boats on the left side of the pic are real scumbuckets, the lost souls living on engineless 25-foot powerboats and ferro sailboats with no mast. The closer to the marina you get, the better the boats look. This image is from 2016, and many more of these boats moved in over the last couple of years as other municipalities found ways to move them out. That water at the bottom leads to Tod Inlet and Butchart Gardens so you have to run the gauntlet of 0-knot shitboxes to get to the anchorage.

Are some of them outcasts from Victoria?  I heard they clean up the Gorge*

*not sure if that's the right name 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

How do they get there? It's been 10 or so years since I was there, did I miss them or is this a new situation?

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Are some of them outcasts from Victoria?  I heard they clean up the Gorge*

*not sure if that's the right name 

The Gorge is correct. Gorge Waterway if you want to get all technical. Yes, there are quite a few from there, and from other places with too much wind and wave action. Apparently the crime rate around the Gorge dropped considerably after their departure.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

How do they get there? It's been 10 or so years since I was there, did I miss them or is this a new situation?

They get towed by friends, or borrow a boat and tow it themselves. Or spend hours/days towing it behind a rubber duck with a 2 hp motor.

It's not new, it's been building for years. The homeless on land and these folks on the water just keep coming from parts east.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, TwoLegged said:

I think there two ways of looking at ÆTHEREUS:

1. Tarted-up Tartan 27, way overpriced
  2. A fine-pedigree, 20-yo semi-custom boat built to a v high standard.  If that's how you view it, $27k is a bargain

For the man who wants a 28' yawl, there aren't too many choices.

The Tartan will sail rings around an H-28. A Nimble 30, if you can find one, might be a better choice.

54 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Is there a floating graveyard somewhere up there?  I haven't added to the Zombie thread lately.

Starts at Shelter Island and gets worse the farther east you go.

Mission seems to be the final resting place even though the river is navigable a bit farther.

image.png.355442e73c810c60f69d13fad539b5b8.pngimage.png.756164be531a526e4a8de1819fbc225f.png

49 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Shows once again that environmental damage from commercial boats and abandoned wharfs dwarfs anything some poor person can do. 

Yes, but it's much easier to kick people than kick commercial interests :( 

21 hours ago, Ishmael said:

FWIW... pretty good cajun cooking at Blue's Bayou, over on the right hand side near the marina.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:35 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

Shows once again that environmental damage from commercial boats and abandoned wharfs dwarfs anything some poor person can do. 

Dunno - that scene looks remarkably like the collection on the Columbia down by Goble.  One quixotic guy with a compulsion to "rescue" derelict boats but no real ability to do anything to help them.

Oh look... someone's been cleaning it up. Nothing left here but the hull of the old ferry/restaurant. You can bet that's a shitload of billable hours coming back to taxpayers somehowgoble.thumb.jpg.383f7c84c9c7de7dde6574b8fb219acd.jpg.

If one lived on an island this thing could make a great African Queen.

Pull out all those thwarts. build seats along the hull and put in a lunker diesel or an Easthope or something similar.

Pocketa pocketa pocketa.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/okotoks-sailing-whaleboat-project-15hp/7285222366.html

image.png.2171bb0fc7bd6c75b2b8bbcc5d9f1812.png

On 2/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

I'm sure you are being cheeky mate but the Cooper/Peterson Ganbare 35 were done in '74. Donny Mk11 was done in 1978. And this is Baggins that I raced on: https://thunderbirdmarine.com/yacht-sales/doug-peterson-ganbare/ 

That boat pictured above is a MK II as well. And I'm pretty certain that is John Jarman's "Prophecy" that I raced when it was pretty much new in 1976. There was a Mk 3 and might have built two in the early 80's but a big recession and cratered boat business for a couple of years.   

Fuck me sideways - Baggins is alive?  Last I heard she was seriously rotting in a cove somewhere off Seattle.  Looks pretty good too.

I remember grinding in the big headsail, then grinding in some more, then some more, then I had to stop, because the deck was going up to meet the clew, not the other way around.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

This looks like one hell of a deal. Sceptre 36 for $25k. https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Sceptre-36_37169676

98778852_614.jpg

Makes you wonder why they couldn't get 25K for it in this pretty hot market.  I guess folks want floating condos rather than boats that can really sail.  It looks like the interior woodwork is pretty much a retirement project, and if the engine, sails and rigging are toast and it has blisters...

I think I can smell those cushions from here.

Some impressive rust formations on that engine, and it's listed as having a bow thruster (???), but still seems like a nice buy for the price.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, andykane said:

Some impressive rust formations on that engine, and it's listed as having a bow thruster (???), but still seems like a nice buy for the price.

Sold already.

43 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Sold already.

Wow.  Quite the price drop.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago while on Bowen.  Found it online for $43k.

Serious question - is there a standard % a broker will tack onto what the owner wants? 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:10 AM, Rain Man said:

Makes you wonder why they couldn't get 25K for it in this pretty hot market.  I guess folks want floating condos rather than boats that can really sail.  It looks like the interior woodwork is pretty much a retirement project, and if the engine, sails and rigging are toast and it has blisters...

I would put money on it that she sank. Maybe not completely but low enough.

Something was up there - I saw that boat listed for $25k a while back then it disappeared then came back.

A 2QM would be a repower in a 1980 boat wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, andykane said:

QM is pretty recent, isn't it? This looks more 1980 vintage to me.

2QM20 and 3QM30 are engines of that era, a similar engine was in a small tractor/dozer. A lot bigger in mass than the GM series with similar hp, easier to hand start due to flywheel mass. Solid engine but that one looks very much like it has had a swim at least to the crank

sceptre-36-67.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, andykane said:

QM is pretty recent, isn't it? This looks more 1980 vintage to me.

sceptre-36-67.jpg

QM were standard for the 34, I think. That one looks quite crusty.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Looks like it is missing some key parts, like a timing chain and flywheel.

FB- Doug

Definitely looks like a sinker.

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Looks like it is missing some key parts, like a timing chain and flywheel.

FB- Doug

Don't think so. I'm familiar with the 3QM30 and the flywheel was at the rear not the front and concealed by the gearbox. That missing chain is - I think - for a hand start.

I've seen worse engines rebuilt but it's never a good sign when the owner can't be bothered keeping the thing clean and sprayed with some form of water repellant. Then I consider some of the posters here and their attitude to engines and maintenance and possibly this one has an owner of similar mind.

FKT

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 1:07 AM, Rain Man said:

Fuck me sideways - Baggins is alive?  Last I heard she was seriously rotting in a cove somewhere off Seattle.  Looks pretty good too.

I remember grinding in the big headsail, then grinding in some more, then some more, then I had to stop, because the deck was going up to meet the clew, not the other way around.

We got a 1st in Div and 2nd O.A. in Straits in that boat when Peter had it. Missed the O.A.45 seconds only. The winner was a Ganbare and not a Donny build. For whatever reason, likely the diff from BC Sailing PHRF and PHRF NW, bumped the Ganbare (a RVicYC boat) against the Donny build into a different Div but basically should rate the same. I was pretty pissed about that! Baggins looks like has been redone. Not great build in the first place. And 45K! Seriously!!! Wow.   

On 3/4/2021 at 1:10 AM, Rain Man said:

This Sceptre is a later built than the original ones. The Calgan ones had blisters but Hein ( the builder) made sure that wouldn't happen again. Teak is pretty tough and a clean up and treating it with Sea Fin teak oil it will make that come back. I know - I did that on my own boat 5 years ago. I came back like almost new. It needs to be done again but it pretty easy to do. I use Sea Fin on the exterior too. It can come to bright if you want without the full varnish job. It lasts a season but no hard sanding at all. I love the stuff.

That last one looks like its been cut in half and had 10' put in the middle... kinda like a crappy stretch limo, heh

It's a Columbia 5.5 Meter with a cabin stuck on it.

Chopping the top and making it what it was supposed to be would make it beautiful.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like a deal for someone - those are very good boats.

Of course the required paint job will cost a bit.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Spencer-1330_37261901

Spencer 1330

hell, I could move aboard, ignore the "required paint job" AND the exquisite vintage upholstery and spend 5 years blissful and blissfully unaware that values were tanking and heads were shaking everywhere i went!  

• Like 1

Looking for a new boat after mine got stuck in Mexico and I sold it - wow, there really isn't much out there right now (BC area)

Hopefully things get a bit better when covid is over 

2 hours ago, alctel said:

Looking for a new boat after mine got stuck in Mexico and I sold it - wow, there really isn't much out there right now (BC area)

Hopefully things get a bit better when covid is over 

Size? Budget? Phobias?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Size? Budget? Phobias?

under 40', budget prob 50k CAD? ish? Would like to live on it too

Last boat rated 165, would like something a bit faster, I always seem to go upwind a fuckload so something that isn't shitty upwind would be good

Most of the stuff out seems to be either half-sunk or over 100k, not much of the middle ground. Not in a rush either 

• 3 weeks later...

That original version has a glass over ply over wood beams deck.

They always seem to be rotten these days.

Unfortunate since IMO it is by far the best looking of the 4 or more decks they had over the years.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/lynnfield-catalina-sailboat/7311144696.html

00z0z_6teo6FRkldaz_0eC0jm_600x450.jpg

I never knew that Catalina made an aero-rig boat. I watched craigslist for several years before eventually buying my boat last year, and never saw anything this weird/cool come up in that time. Of course, it's priced at a Post-COVID PremiumTM but what an awkwardly interesting little boat.

• Like 1

1994 Catalina 22.  $9,500.  Located in San Mateo, California.  

OK, this might belong in mocking CL, but only if $9.5K is too much for a 27 year-old -22.  IDK what they're worth.  

Not sure why the seller put teak on the cockpit floor, but it's a nice looking boat.  It looks very clean and well maintained, and it has the added advantage that they're still being produced.  

If I weren't so intimidated by the idea of owning a boat that lives in saltwater, full-time, and the price turned out to be reasonable, I might go give it a closer look. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/d/san-mateo-catalina-22-sailboat/7312657387.html

00B0B_b2lEoJfWeh1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00e0e_3DkQfueF5zfz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

00v0v_edBRSMfEvkWz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

00L0L_bheafi9626Iz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00A0A_dd3VclqCQ3nz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Cough cough 

HOW much??!

OTOH if it's the only one around and you can afford it and you want one too much to wait for something better and or cheaper, then yeah that's the price.

FB- Doug

That's a nice C22.  Looks well-kept, and is certainly well-equipped.  And it's the dinette model, which I prefer.  Top it off with the wing keel version, and if I were in the market for a C22, this one would be at the top of the list.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that price is just nuts.  A boat like that here in CT, with a trailer, would be lucky to go for $6000.  More likely between $4000 and $5000.  Granted, the market now is a bit wacky, but still, $9500 for a 27 year old C22 is beyond the pale.  Even stranger, he just might get that price.  It's about twice as much as it should be, but in absolute dollars, it's not a lot of money.

9 hours ago, Hukilau said:

That's a nice C22.  Looks well-kept, and is certainly well-equipped.  And it's the dinette model, which I prefer.  Top it off with the wing keel version, and if I were in the market for a C22, this one would be at the top of the list.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that price is just nuts.  A boat like that here in CT, with a trailer, would be lucky to go for $6000.  More likely between $4000 and $5000.  Granted, the market now is a bit wacky, but still, $9500 for a 27 year old C22 is beyond the pale.  Even stranger, he just might get that price.  It's about twice as much as it should be, but in absolute dollars, it's not a lot of money.

I was gifted a C22 - wasn't quite as nice, but it was close.  It got me back into sailing after 20 years, and turned out to be the most expensive gift I've ever received.  

I gifted it to a friend with a young family when we bought our First 405, and he gifted it to charity after that.  

I might have been able to get $2-3k for it if I had tried, but I felt that would be bad karma.  

These are crazy times for anything that floats though.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I think this is advertised for 15K: 

50908961_FlaboatCL.jpg.62124ddf0605b60c162f3ae5556988c3.jpg

Wow. Does that include the barge and all the stuff?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I think this is advertised for 15K: 

50908961_FlaboatCL.jpg.62124ddf0605b60c162f3ae5556988c3.jpg

I once bought a Columbia 43 that looked like that. Ever scrap of storage was filled to bursting with "stuff". We tossed several dumpsters of crap before we trucked it and I still had enough good stuff to sell that it offset about 1/2 the purchase price. We gave away several cases of wine & liquor that couldn't cross the border. A rotten plywood deck box I discovered under layers of crap on deck was filled with brass oil lamps, gimbals etc. including a twin to the one my wife gave me as a wedding present.

2a As Purchased.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:15 PM, Hukilau said:

Probably an offer of $8k would be fair.  There is a big difference between a boat that is clean, used, maintained and ready to sail over the same thing that will save you $3-4k.  What do you want to do? Have a project that you will struggle to get yer bride out on this summer or have a tidy little ‘yacht’ in which you can have pride of ownership and a pleasurable weekend’s use next week?

By way of comparison—and with some trepidation—- I’ll just put it right out here that I bought a new Hobie tandem pedal kayak and trailer last week.  All told, nearly $7k out de door.  It’s a whole lot less boat than this Cat 22.  A nifty, neat 15’ classic, sailing Melonseed (think oversized, inadequate dinghy) but nice to look at and use goes for over $13,500.  Www.melonseed.com 

Yeah, ya CAN spend less in dollars upfront, but what’s your time, marriage and fun/immediacy factor worth?  OTOH, if dollars are few, choices are fewer and elbows grease and DIY are a great way to get into the boat program.