This boat is not everyone's cup of tea, but it has one thing to qualify it for this thread. It is absolutely the cleanest $6,000 boat on the internet. Somebody put a lot of work into making it sparkling, which is a welcome change from some of the literal crap that gets posted.

(Besides which, this thread is now 137 pages behind its ugly cousin, the Mocking thread. There's some serious catching up to be done.)

https://www.usedvictoria.com/sail-boats/39132929

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.46.05 PM.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Paps,      When I spotted the hailing port on the stern of CUCHARA something sparked a memory of that boat. It was the bronze pulpits and stanchions that I recalled and once I went to the linked

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mcmurdo said:

This boat is not everyone's cup of tea, but it has one thing to qualify it for this thread. It is absolutely the cleanest $6,000 boat on the internet. Somebody put a lot of work into making it sparkling, which is a welcome change from some of the literal crap that gets posted.

(Besides which, this thread is now 137 pages behind its ugly cousin, the Mocking thread. There's some serious catching up to be done.)

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.46.05 PM.png

Serious fire extinguishers for a boat with an outboard!

2 hours ago, mcmurdo said:

That is an absolute bargain small cruiser.  Anything else for that money will need a lot of work, but this one looks very well-loved.

Clean sells.

I've mentioned this before, please forgive me. Recently I put my twin engine power boat on the market. It was spotless and everything worked. It sold for top dollar in two days.

• Like 1

I happened to see this boat "in person" the other day while motoring on Whittaker Creek in Oriental. I heard that Ericson and Columbia made a meter boat in the 60s, but they didn't measure in. So they added a cabin and sold them as Scorpion  and Sabre.

This Scorpion is named Stinger and has an electric motor. I kinda like it.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-1966-electric-ericson-32/7366758006.html

image.png.27a86e5e6b3653f9964ba06436aa419b.png

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I happened to see this boat "in person" the other day while motoring on Whittaker Creek in Oriental. I heard that Ericson and Columbia made a meter boat in the 60s, but they didn't measure in. So they added a cabin and sold them as Scorpion  and Sabre.

This Scorpion is named Stinger and has an electric motor. I kinda like it.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-1966-electric-ericson-32/7366758006.html

image.png.27a86e5e6b3653f9964ba06436aa419b.png

Compared to the stock Columbia 5.5 Sabre, the two small ports and the teak cabin edge trim help make the cabin trunk look less massive.

Sun 27 - hardly rare. Many built by at least 3 different builders.

Bob did the deck redesign, not the whole boat. Monk Jr. did the hull.

There's a detailed thread on those boats.

2 hours ago, toddster said:

Here's one that claims to be a Perry design in ferrocement:

00P0P_bNyNaC88zZSz_0wl0ln_600x450.jpg

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/carlsborg-sailboat/7376143434.html

On the interior photos, why on the ferro-cement queens do they always, always leave the sheets & bedding on the bunks. It makes my flesh crawl.

7 minutes ago, Bull City said:

On the interior photos, why on the ferro-cement queens do they always, always leave the sheets & bedding on the bunks. It makes my flesh crawl.

Umm, isn't bunks the normal place for bedding?

The two propane tanks on the bow is an interesting choice. I guess with ferro boats having all that weight in the wrong place is not a big deal, but corrosion and risk of damage to the hoses would be a worry.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, they are. And the galley sink is the normal place for dirty dishes, and the toilet is the normal place for turds and urine.

Seriously, if you look at better listings , they don't have bedding on the bunks. It's grubby looking. 

Case in point: a photo from a listing for a 1966 Aage Nielsen sloop (https://yotlot.com/a-1966-aage-nielsen-paul-e-luke-classic/). Not a soiled sheet or pillow case in sight.

image.thumb.png.589cba30c7d6a80c68f6f31fce076f47.png

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, toddster said:

Hmm.  I don't really have a designated place on board for bedding, other than rolled up at the foot of the bunk.  Too bulky to fit anywhere else.  

Depends whether you are cruising or selling

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I tend to assume that if the bunks have bedding on them that it's put there to hide the condition of the cushions.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, TwoLegged said:

Personal stuff may have value to you but to the buyer it is clutter. Stuff makes spaces look smaller and less clean too.

When buying a car do you want one that has been modified by the previous owner or one that looks showroom stock.

When I recently sold my small cruiser I removed almost everything that wasn't bolted down which I believe helped with the quick sale. After the buyer saw the potential I produced the gear hammocks and other items that really improve livability but aren't photogenic. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Personal stuff may have value to you but to the buyer it is clutter. Stuff makes spaces look smaller and less clean too.

When buying a car do you want one that has been modified by the previous owner or one that looks showroom stock.

When I recently sold my small cruiser I removed almost everything that wasn't bolted down which I believe helped with the quick sale. After the buyer saw the potential I produced the gear hammocks and other items that really improve livability but aren't photogenic. 

Absolutely correct.

The opposite end of the spectrum from your attitude was demonstrated in a 35 footer I looked at that still had a turd in the toilet. :D

• Like 1
23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Absolutely correct.

The opposite end of the spectrum from your attitude was demonstrated in a 35 footer I looked at that still had a turd in the toilet. :D

At least they didn't show it in the pictures for their ad.

3 hours ago, low bum said:

I've always thought they were cute little boats, never sailed one, but heard from people who have that they are bog slow due to short waterline (CCA overhangs on an 18 footer?!?) and hobbyhorse like mad due to their bottom rocker.

8 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:
3 hours ago, low bum said:

I've always thought they were cute little boats, never sailed one, but heard from people who have that they are bog slow due to short waterline (CCA overhangs on an 18 footer?!?) and hobbyhorse like mad due to their bottom rocker.

Yes

That, plus they have the interior space of trying to crawl under a chair. The cockpit room is nothing to write home about, either.

FB- Doug

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes

That, plus they have the interior space of trying to crawl under a chair. The cockpit room is nothing to write home about, either.

FB- Doug

I gather there isn't much of a market for a boat designed for lawn dwarves.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes

FB- Doug

Also very lightly built. Sailing my in-laws boat in Maine, the decks flexed enormously just walking on them. Also a wild ride downwind when a 25kt squall hit - no backstay!

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

5000 hour engine and 44 year old teak decks.

No thanks.

Isn't that the design that originally came with the trained monkey with special extra-length arms equipped with 4 joints so as to be able to reach the back of the gearbox and stuffing box area? And as it's long dead, one needs a small, fit crewperson with a great SOH and excellent mechanical ability? Or a sawzall and excellent f/g repair skills?

A different boat might be cheaper to find, if so.

The engine wouldn't worry me, that's just a one-off cash payment if needed. The decks however are a totally different matter.

FKT

On 10/9/2021 at 5:16 PM, Zonker said:

On 10/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, SloopJonB said:

5000 hour engine and 44 year old teak decks.

No thanks.

The 5000 hour Yanmar wouldn't worry me - those old ones a totally rebuildable, right down to replacing the cylinder liners. Teak decks are lovely underfoot and to the eye, but the only way to install one so it doesn't leak is to glue the planks to a fiberglass deck (no screws) and I suspect that is not the case here.

23 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Have read more carefully. Crealock (Pacific Seacraft) 37 ketch. $39K USD. I think that is seriously under-priced.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/tacoma-bluewater-cruising-ketch-37-ft/7392929286.html

Looks like somebody was going offshore and then didn't. Pretty nice condition, monitor vane, 

The Crealock 37 was first built by a company called  Cruising Consultants Inc.   In 1980 the moulds were acquired by Pacific Seacraft.  Since the boat is a 1976 it wasn't built by Pacific Seacraft which may explain the lower price.

54 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Have read more carefully. Crealock (Pacific Seacraft) 37 ketch. $39K USD. I think that is seriously under-priced.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/tacoma-bluewater-cruising-ketch-37-ft/7392929286.html

Looks like somebody was going offshore and then didn't. Pretty nice condition, monitor vane, 

If those photos are recent this may be a real bargain. Not at all unusual for the photos to have been taken when the boat was in its prime. 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, Zonker said:

Flagged for removal. 

Either a scam or somebody really wants it, made contact then flagged it.

I just found this while looking for the other one.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-crealock-37-yawl/7393749990.html

Curiously that Tacoma boat is $93,000 rather than $39,000 for the Seattle one that is indeed gone now. (As an aside, $93K seems more reasonable for a well equipped boat of this sort though I have to admit everything I know about estimating used boat values I got from reading this thread.)