Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I bought her. No real issues, other than a easily repairable crack from sitting on the trailer for so long, and it all needs re-assembling or bits replacing - she's not been in the water for a long

Thread drift is one of Cruising Anarchy tradition's, dating back at least to the year 537 AD when a discussion about St Brenan's planned trip to America meandered through a heated debate about the fis

Not sure if bad form to quote ones self but that was me back on June 17th just before my trip to Florida. When I got back I did manage to take a trip to Albany to take a look at this boat and

Posted Images

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I sometimes wish we had more options than UP and DOWN, kinda like the facebook emojis.  I vote we add the middle finger as an option.  PA would probably find it useful.  :D  

 

Yes.  It would be most helpful to have an STFU option.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

classic....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Beautiful boat.  I wonder why it hasn't sold.

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

If he really wanted to sell it, he'd do things like, you know, put a phone number in the ad since some customers don't like email. Or maybe even hire a pro to sell it, since professionals know that putting a phone number in an ad is a pretty good idea. Not to mention advertising something like this on yachtworld.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

Whenever I have seen such things, it's usually what I call a "family-driven sale".  Someone else in the family wants the item sold, so the it is placed on the market at a silly price with plenty of obstacles to making contact with the seller or agent.

I saw this several times when buying land, and in each local intelligence confirmed that the sale was being forced by a spouse (or ex-spouse, as part of a divorce settlement) so the vendor was doing their best to obstruct the sale.  It is theoretically possible to circumvent the obstruction by contacting the person who actually wants to sell, but with rural land in the west of Ireland that's a very bad idea — it puts you in the middle of a family feud, and you can get labelled as a land-grabber for several generations, which is not at all a good place to be.  With a movable item such as a boat or a car, you can avoid the grief by taking it out of area ... but with land, you can end up with an aggrieved family as neighbours and their neighbours dotted around for miles.   I know of several cases where the resentment has been stoked for three or four generations.

But maybe Americans have shorter memories than the notoriously-long Irish collective memory 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paps49 said:

Maybe the huge head sail/coffee grinder setup made them nervous? Beautiful boat though, doesn't say what it's made of.....

Probably was not advertised properly:

"Keep your kids out of your hair and off of the phones with this boat.   Put them on the coffee grinder and have them sheet home the 170 after initiating a tacking duel.   They will be out like a light at the end of the day."

Parents would be jumping to get that boat!

- Stumbling

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

 you can get labelled as a land-grabber for several generations, which is not at all a good place to be.  With a movable item such as a boat or a car, you can avoid the grief by taking it out of area ... but with land, you can end up with an aggrieved family as neighbours and their neighbours dotted around for miles.   I know of several cases where the resentment has been stoked for three or four generations.

Tells you all you need to know about Irish society. :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Tells you all you need to know about Irish society. :rolleyes:

Yes, but our multi-generationally-curated land-grudges are nursed over pints, rather than expressed with guns as your southern neighbours do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TwoLegged said:

Yes, but our multi-generationally-curated land-grudges are nursed over pints, rather than expressed with guns as your southern neighbours do.

I seem to recall a few thousand bomb and gun murders in Ireland over the past few decades.

I'm sure they weren't all based on religion and politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I seem to recall a few thousand bomb and gun murders in Ireland over the past few decades.

I'm sure they weren't all based on religion and politics.

That's in Norniron. They were slow to learn how the keeps grudges simmering rather than boiling.

But here's something.  I crunched the numbers on it a month or two back.

The Troubles in Norniroin lasted from 1969 to 1998.  Basically 30 years.  And only in five of those years (1972—76) did the per-capita Troubles-killings rate in Norniron exceed the average homicide rate across the whole of the USA.   At no point in the whole 30-year period did the  per-capita Troubles-killings rate rate in Norniron exceed the homicide rate for New York City.

Of course, The Troubles was a terrible, horrible time.  Many lives ended, many more permanently scarred.

But the comparative stats are shocking.  Our darkest hour was less violent than the USA's normal.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I AM NOT IN DIRECT POSSESSION OF THIS ITEM. AS PER THESE TERMS, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MEET WITH YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE. YOUR ITEM MUST BE PAID FOR IN FULL FIRST, I WILL THEN TRANSFER OWNERSHIP DOCUMENTATION, GIVE YOU THE ITEM LOCATION AND HELP COORDINATE ITEM PICK-UP.

Trust me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12k for a contessa 26 that looks to be in very good condition, somewhere in Quebec. I'm only posting this because I can't afford it right now, this would be the absolute dream boat for myself. 

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voilier/ouest-de-lile-qc/voilier-contessa-26-1984/1371595411?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Go ahead, you can afford it...

Just gotta break out the ol' credit card cash advance........

wait, never mind, that's the very thing I'm spending time away from sailing to get rid of and never get again :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 3:18 PM, Ishmael said:

This looks like a reasonable deal, obviously needs some interior love, but it's worth it just for the diesel. $3500 CAD

78803211_934.jpg

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/SOS-Sun-27-3500-FIRM-price_32568585

Several thousand dollars worth of assorted fenders included.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/d/1976-van-der-stadt-sailboat/6729099351.html

A neat design from the 60's that was supposed to be very weatherly. I love the interior design and the fact that's it's plywood. Another boat I would just immediately jump on if I was about a year less broke. 

 

there's an add on another website that seems to be older and asks for 1k$ more. I assume this one has been sitting for a year or so. Here's the old ad (with better pics): https://www.ladyben.com/sail-classic-wooden-boat/67388-van-de-stadt/view-details

 

Maybe I should start a Patreon.....

00D0D_ibiDf345eaH_1200x900.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a Van Der Stadt Buccaneer 23, and here's a fantastic video of one working downwind in some pretty awesome conditions. 

I wish I could win the lottery. 15k and I'd be debt free, own the boat I posted, and have enough money for multiple years worth of food. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

It's a Van Der Stadt Buccaneer 23, and here's a fantastic video of one working downwind in some pretty awesome conditions. 

I wish I could win the lottery. 15k and I'd be debt free, own the boat I posted, and have enough money for multiple years worth of food. 

You need a Shark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KC375 said:

  That Contessa is just south west of Montreal. A mere 10 miles from Ontario but a 2,400 mile round trip from Dryden.

 

There's literally nothing in Dryden to be had. I'm resigned to travelling for my next boat

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Cough cough {build quality} cough.

 

You should take something for that.

I don't know much about the SJ28 but yeah, the ones I do know about were not well-built boats. This one in the ad seems wildly overpriced, unless that dinghy and outboard are brand new. And the sails, come to think of it.

Lots of fun to be had with an old cheap boat.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

There are a hell of a lot of 40 & 45 year old San Juan boats sailing around here considering how bad their build quality is supposed to be.

Same for Hunters. And MacGregor/Ventures. Shitty, but apparently good enough

Dunno what the percentage of Lancers built that are still sailing but IMHO they are the worst-built boats I have ever seen. I could carve a better boat out of a banana

FB- Doug

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Same for Hunters. And MacGregor/Ventures. Shitty, but apparently good enough

Dunno what the percentage of Lancers built that are still sailing but IMHO they are the worst-built boats I have ever seen. I could carve a better boat out of a banana

FB- Doug

 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There are a hell of a lot of 40 & 45 year old San Juan boats sailing around here considering how bad their build quality is supposed to be.

Yeah, I think that for just PNW cruising you could probably take out a bathtub, and with enough skill get it pretty much anywhere you wanted to go. Offshore there's more concern about weak points but I mean, look at R2AK: almost anything goes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, Ishmael said:

Posted about a month ago and still there. Hmmmm.

It’s not too common around the Chesapeake and mid coast perhaps.

It looks beautiful and of course, a survey would be in order as with any potential purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hadn't really looked at that. I wonder what happened to the original.

But Longy if you mean the tiller was left behind the pushpit I think thats a flag staff but IDK. I also DK where the steering mechanism is.

Alright you guys win I'll move it to the other thread......

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, I find this one an interesting extension of how far Craigslist adverts will go. A Swan 46 Mk 1 for $164.5k (which is a bit of a bargain compared to the couple other ones on YW.)

00t0t_ktwI3NpS6D3_600x450.jpg

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:26 PM, eastbay said:

Hadn't really looked at that. I wonder what happened to the original.

But Longy if you mean the tiller was left behind the pushpit I think thats a flag staff but IDK. I also DK where the steering mechanism is.

Alright you guys win I'll move it to the other thread......

  Yes, I originally thought flag was tiller. There is a pedestal/wheel under the yellow blob in the cockpit. Still can't fathom the stern rail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

ok, I find this one an interesting extension of how far Craigslist adverts will go. A Swan 46 Mk 1 for $164.5k (which is a bit of a bargain compared to the couple other ones on YW.)

00t0t_ktwI3NpS6D3_600x450.jpg

 

 

 

But there's no ad to not mock. And that's a kinda ugly dodger.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Craigslist, can be great.  I got my G32 from it from a wonderful guy.  I got a canoe for $100.  I have purchased several outboards on it for nominal sums, and even a new trailer for $100.  You have to know what you are looking at, bring cash be polite, and remove it promptly.  Time is of the essence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I blame the jet lag.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/swan-46/6754042448.html

not sure how one of these swans could have a good looking dodger...

It does look nice. New teak decks are good. On someone else's boat.

 

12 hours ago, guerdon said:

Craigslist, can be great.  I got my G32 from it from a wonderful guy.  I got a canoe for $100.  I have purchased several outboards on it for nominal sums, and even a new trailer for $100.  You have to know what you are looking at, bring cash be polite, and remove it promptly.  Time is of the essence.

Along with buying and selling various tools, fruit, and trees, my current flats boat, current pontoon boat, predecessor 'toon boat, current skiff, predecessor skiff, and grandson's boat are all craigslist finds, along with the outboard that powers those skiffs and one other, which was an outstanding find.

Sold my Sun Cat and one of those skiffs on craigslist, and a Com-Pac 16.

So it's great within limits. I don't think I'd try to sell an expensive Swan on there. I guess my line would be: if the buyer is going to want a survey, a broker might be a good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I blame the jet lag.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/swan-46/6754042448.html

not sure how one of these swans could have a good looking dodger...

That new teak deck is a decent portion of the purchase price. Kind of like the centerboard in old wooden boats with bronze centerboards.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 5:15 AM, dogballs Tom said:

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

If he really wanted to sell it, he'd do things like, you know, put a phone number in the ad since some customers don't like email. Or maybe even hire a pro to sell it, since professionals know that putting a phone number in an ad is a pretty good idea. Not to mention advertising something like this on yachtworld.

No.  Putting your phone number on Craigslist is pretty much the worst fucking idea EVER. Stick In PA dude.  You belong there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 9:16 PM, Grrr... said:
On 11/4/2018 at 5:15 AM, dogballs Tom said:

My guess would be because it's sacred to the owner, who doesn't really wish to sell it.

If he really wanted to sell it, he'd do things like, you know, put a phone number in the ad since some customers don't like email. Or maybe even hire a pro to sell it, since professionals know that putting a phone number in an ad is a pretty good idea. Not to mention advertising something like this on yachtworld.

No.  Putting your phone number on Craigslist is pretty much the worst fucking idea EVER.

I've done it routinely for years using their clever little system to sorta hide it.

The results have been texts and calls and sales and nothing bad, so far. What bad things can I expect?

I made it my business to spread my real cellphone number as far and wide as I could on the internet when I worked at a brokerage. Same number I had for years prior to that job. Same number today, nine years after quitting that job. Like my name and location, it's not a secret at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one's on a mooring off Shelter Island, so I pass it a couple of weeks on a sail or paddle.  Always thought it was a pretty handsome unique boat.  Priced really low it seems, but listed in "Fair" condition.  Looked better than that from 20 feet but who knows what lurks within.  Cool boat anyway...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/31-herreshoff-sailboat/6763845352.html

image.png.cac6c56114033dc401025a5830e3c9a5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socalrider said:

This one's on a mooring off Shelter Island, so I pass it a couple of weeks on a sail or paddle.  Always thought it was a pretty handsome unique boat.  Priced really low it seems, but listed in "Fair" condition.  Looked better than that from 20 feet but who knows what lurks within.  Cool boat anyway...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/31-herreshoff-sailboat/6763845352.html

image.png.cac6c56114033dc401025a5830e3c9a5.png

Is that a kayak drogue hanging off the back?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, socalrider said:

This one's on a mooring off Shelter Island, so I pass it a couple of weeks on a sail or paddle.  Always thought it was a pretty handsome unique boat.  Priced really low it seems, but listed in "Fair" condition.  Looked better than that from 20 feet but who knows what lurks within.  Cool boat anyway...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/31-herreshoff-sailboat/6763845352.html

image.png.cac6c56114033dc401025a5830e3c9a5.png

$6K?   If that was on the east coast, I'd sell one of my Harleys today.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

Discount for offset companionway...

- Stumbling

I like just about everything about that boat - the lines, rig, size - it'd be a good single/short handed Bay Boat.  I like the unstayed rig - but, have to admit ignorance w/r/t its longevity/strength. 

There's a smaller, similar open boat I like - https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/sail/ec-22/  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for the article - I wonder if it makes me nuts that reading it made me like the boat even more??? 

 

Overall, I'd say the article left a positive impression. What boat of that age hasn't had some things crop up but it sounds as though they all can be attended to? At under $6K, that San Diego boat sounds well worth the investment. Just figure another $6K to bring things up to snuff and you've got a nice $12k BOAT. Interesting to hear the Sparhawk was temporarily made in the same yard. I've always admired them but very rarely are they for sale. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for the article - I wonder if it makes me nuts that reading it made me like the boat even more??? 

Me too.  The opening to that article was misleading.  Wood version would have been interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I like just about everything about that boat - the lines, rig, size - it'd be a good single/short handed Bay Boat.  I like the unstayed rig - but, have to admit ignorance w/r/t its longevity/strength. 

There's a smaller, similar open boat I like - https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/sail/ec-22/  

 

I've heard that they're great if you're not in a hurry and don't wish to go high upwind. Which is great for me. If I'm in a hurry to get upwind, I'll take a powerboat.

As for free standers, they typically have one or maybe two failure points instead of many dozens.

From my list of things I know, but should not: if a free standing carbon mast has been through a hurricane and a neighbor reported it whipping around like a blade of grass, it might not be OK. Even if a good surveyor looks at it, it might just fall into the water one day while reaching along calmly in ten knots. And no, the broker who sold it to you doesn't know where to get another one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, southerncross said:

Me too.  The opening to that article was misleading.  Wood version would have been interesting.

IMHO - that boat is what many of us need today - simple, easy to handle, large enough for weekending, with classic looks.  I'd love to build a yachty Skipjack w/an engine and an updated underbody - but what would I do with that much boat besides spend cubic $$ to store and maintain it?  Unless I hit the lottery - I'm going to be trading hours for $$ for a long while yet, and my nautical goals are going to continue to be realized in little dribbles, not the big trans-oceanic splash I daydream about.  

Accepting that?  The boat in that ad makes a lot of sense. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

IMHO - that boat is what many of us need today - simple, easy to handle, large enough for weekending, with classic looks.  I'd love to build a yachty Skipjack w/an engine and an updated underbody - but what would I do with that much boat besides spend cubic $$ to store and maintain it?  Unless I hit the lottery - I'm going to be trading hours for $$ for a long while yet, and my nautical goals are going to continue to be realized in little dribbles, not the big trans-oceanic splash I daydream about.  

Accepting that?  The boat in that ad makes a lot of sense. 

I agree completely. Ease of use is paramount, as is the pleasure of smiling every time you look at or think about your boat. Much more important than it being able to do something you’ll never actually do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are any of the locals familiar with this boat? I think it's one of the Korean 34's that were sold here back then. It's been for sale in Gibsons for a couple of years now and appears to be a nice boat. It started out at a higher but still decent price and has been reduced twice to it's current level.

I'm curious if there is something fundamentally wrong with it like a wet deck.

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/d/ft-peterson-sailboat/6744753518.html

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Are any of the locals familiar with this boat? I think it's one of the Korean 34's that were sold here back then. It's been for sale in Gibsons for a couple of years now and appears to be a nice boat. It started out at a higher but still decent price and has been reduced twice to it's current level.

I'm curious if there is something fundamentally wrong with it like a wet deck.

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/d/ft-peterson-sailboat/6744753518.html

 

 

That pedestal sure looks to be in the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, Vaeredil said:

https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/boa/d/1976-van-der-stadt-sailboat/6729099351.html

A neat design from the 60's that was supposed to be very weatherly. I love the interior design and the fact that's it's plywood. Another boat I would just immediately jump on if I was about a year less broke. 

 

there's an add on another website that seems to be older and asks for 1k$ more. I assume this one has been sitting for a year or so. Here's the old ad (with better pics): https://www.ladyben.com/sail-classic-wooden-boat/67388-van-de-stadt/view-details

 

Maybe I should start a Patreon.....

00D0D_ibiDf345eaH_1200x900.jpg

Nice looking bull rail on that dock. Sorry wrong thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites