Life Vests?

Roam

I'm hoping to start dinghy sailing soon and was wondering what sort of life vests you would recommend. As a noob I admit to knowing nothing but I expect I would want something low profile that didn't restrict movement. Starting off I'll be mostly sailing on the Potomac river.

Thanks,

Hugh

If you are a poor swimmer than a CG approved flotation device.  If you are a strong swimmer. a buoyancy aid will do fine.  APS has a video discussing this on their website.

Eric

I'm a decent swimmer, I used to be a strong swimmer but I'm older and more well rounded then I used to be. ;)

I'd like to get vests not just for myself about also for friends and family.

I'll look into the Neil Pryde.

thanks,

Hugh

I am a strong swimmer. On a dinghy I wear a vest unless the wind is almost nothing. Once somebody gets hit by a boom and drowns next to you, it takes that off the life jacket not wearing thought table. Just wear the vest. Yes it's slightly hot and slightly uncomfortable. Wear the vest. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 10:00 AM, Claire1000 said:

I am a strong swimmer. On a dinghy I wear a vest unless the wind is almost nothing. Once somebody gets hit by a boom and drowns next to you, it takes that off the life jacket not wearing thought table. Just wear the vest. Yes it's slightly hot and slightly uncomfortable. Wear the vest. 

Or, if that doesn't do it for you, I wear a PFD when dinghy sailing because I want the extra buoyancy for when I capsize.  It makes it easier to do things in the water (uncleat lines, whatever), without the extra effort of having to also tread water while you're doing it.

ZHIK products are great. I have many of their items. Generally, all their stuff runs small. Be sure to order the next size. Happy Sailing!

I found a nifty fisherman's vest at Walmart for $25. The thing has huge arm holes for easy movement and lots of pockets for munchies, gloves, drain plug, cell phone in a waterproof case in triple zip lock bags , sailing instructions, sunscreen, feces to throw at landt....

even little water bottles might fit but I carry  water on a bungee in the cockpit. 

18 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I found a nifty fisherman's vest at Walmart for $25. The thing has huge arm holes for easy movement and lots of pockets for munchies, gloves, drain plug, cell phone in a waterproof case in triple zip lock bags , sailing instructions, sunscreen, feces to throw at landt....

even little water bottles might fit but I carry  water on a bungee in the cockpit. 

This forum needs a like button!

Thanks for all the advice. Should I concern myself with USCG approval of the vests? The ZHIKs look practical but aren't USCG approved.

Any reason not to use a horse shoe type of vest like the Eyson manually inflating life vest? I understand it wont help if you're knocked unconscious but replacing the C02 canister of an automatically inflating life vest doesn't seem practical especially if you capsize more than once a day.

thanks,

Hugh

• 3 weeks later...

I wear the zhik

My wife loves the co2 horseshoes, I wore them awhile, but got tierd of replacing cartriges, as they go off every time you flip or get out of the boat to launch or dock...

that hyde wingman looks nice, but if your boat has a boom I would not suggest it as you have to pull the rip chord to inflate it, if you are unconsious because the boom smacked you you are sol......  If that is the case go with the zhik

1 hour ago, knuckles said:

Extrasport Challenger.  The pinnacle of PFD design.

They are one of the best I ever had. Still have two.  I guess that is why they stopped making them

6 hours ago, knuckles said:

Extrasport Challenger.  The pinnacle of PFD design.

Challenger is too hot.

I've bought 5 other vests in the $100 range and dont like any of them better than  the challenger in any way other than ventilation.

On June 7, 2017 at 0:03 PM, Roam said:

Any reason not to use a horse shoe type of vest like the Eyson manually inflating life vest? I understand it wont help if you're knocked unconscious but replacing the C02 canister of an automatically inflating life vest doesn't seem practical especially if you capsize more than once a day.

YMMV, but most people find a non-inflatable bouyancy aid to be more practical and comfortable for dinghy use.

Note BAs have a lot of variance in float. Some you have to swim pretty hard to not go under, some are basically life jackets. Just get a CG approved one. I don't understand skimping on a safety device. If you want to terrify yourself go to wakeboarding forums (we also wakeboard) and read the horror stories from BAs. 

My auto inflate horse shoe would not work on the dinghy we sail (Johnson 18). We get very wet and a capsize is totally possible and no biggie. On like a flying scot or something I would wear an auto inflate as capsize is unlikely. 

I believe many of the dinghy-oriented buoyancy aids, Zhik and the like, are actually quite buoyant.  The makers just didn't want to spend the money to become CG certified, choosing to spend their money instead on EU certification.

Personally I would not go without CG approval.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the look of the wingman, but honestly there are even less restrictive inflatable vests on the market so why is the wingman better than those?

https://www.amazon.com/Eyson-Inflatable-Jacket-Automatic-Manual/dp/B01533PLVG/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=4C17CJH3S2WPA9DSRR51

they also have some that are just manual, just like the hyde.  Big price difference.  Honestly I think this one looks more comfortable.  So what am I missing?

Oh, and I would only wear a full manual one on my hobie Getaway that does not have a boom....

I sailed Tech dinghies in college, raced 470s later.  Always wore a pfd.  Bear in mind what sort of water you'll be sailing in.  I once capsized in April at a regatta, got separated from the boat ... in 45º water.  Took over 30 minutes to get picked up by the crash boat.  That's when you learn (1) always wear a pfd and (2) get a wetsuit when racing in cold water.  Hypothermia's no fun at all.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:45 PM, bplipschitz said:

Or, if that doesn't do it for you, I wear a PFD when dinghy sailing because I want the extra buoyancy for when I capsize.  It makes it easier to do things in the water (uncleat lines, whatever), without the extra effort of having to also tread water while you're doing it.

depends... USCG vests provide so much flotation that i think they are a hindrance - particularly with a wetsuit. Too much shit to get caught on (even the foam), too high in the water, too hard to push under the boat to get to the CB, etc. Bouyancy Aids like the old Gill and the current Zhik harness provide a good middle ground. 

I just ordered a Raider II and will pick it up at the Annapolis Show in October. Obviously, since I live in Vermont, it will not be used until next year. After reading this thread, I wonder whether the PDF I have for kayaking will be appropriate for dinghy sailing. I have a Lotus Design, from before Patagonia owned then, and it looks long and bulky compared to many I see in pix of dinghy sailing. I do think I do not want a PFD that inflates, either automatically or by wearer. The discussion of the possible risks in the thread convinced me. I am trying to include a picture of my PFD in case that helps you comment.                                                                                                           Thanks, John                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         product_78804.jpg.d33a28c0f1b257fc9c679100e4a9c56a.jpgBy the way, the choice of a Lotus Design product has nothing to do with my screen name, which is for the 1974 car in my barn.

Start with that one^ and see if you hate it and why. Then you know what you want to be different.  Each boat and person is different. If that vest hits the edge of your new boat seat back in an uncomfortable way, you know what shape to look for to fix it (and any other of 100 possible jacket/boat interferences). Maybe it's perfect. 

I once had to sort out a Europa that the owner had rebuilt the engine and I found he had  filed the end gap on the oil rings (the Renault engine)

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Automatic-Manual-Inflatable-Jacket/dp/B00NOZ48WE/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NOZ48WE&pd_rd_r=J5KBFG7XKW7GVSTE23W6&pd_rd_w=CxXri&pd_rd_wg=JaJ1D&psc=1&refRID=J5KBFG7XKW7GVSTE23W6

this is the one I ordered for my getaway, it is either automatic or manual.  On the Getaway I am happy with manual as there is no boom and i am on a sedate lake, however for my megabyte I use a zihk as I do have a boom that will bite you in the head!!!

trust me where I sail the zihk is fine, truthfully the guys at the lake do not care, they are just happy that I have on a pfd, and they would never even know that the zhik is not coast guard approved

On 8/26/2017 at 6:39 AM, grankin said:

I sailed Tech dinghies in college, raced 470s later.  Always wore a pfd.  Bear in mind what sort of water you'll be sailing in.  I once capsized in April at a regatta, got separated from the boat ... in 45º water.  Took over 30 minutes to get picked up by the crash boat.  That's when you learn (1) always wear a pfd and (2) get a wetsuit when racing in cold water.  Hypothermia's no fun at all.

This may be just the thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1421850289/floater-the-wetsuit-of-the-future

Archived