strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

5 minutes ago, weta27 said:

The Swiss video posted above by Priscilla (#7086) tells us it is a Sony P50 4k camera inside the casing, with Fujinon UA 46x zoom lens.

Recommend watching that video if you want a nice summary, or more detail on the manufacturers website:

https://shotover.com/products/m1

Just watched it, thank you and thank you @Priscilla for the video ;) I worked closely with the russian arm, camera operator and driver must work together in an incredible way, and here must be the same. Bit surprised there's no focus puller. Amazing shots by the tv crew by the way. Sony is the right choice for broadcast, Red and Arri are for different works like advs, movies, not live stuff. 

Thanks Zaal, it makes me wish I was young again and picking a career - this stuff is so cool!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Thanks Zaal, it makes me wish I was young again and picking a career - this stuff is so cool!!

Thank you my friend, I think your job is super cool and you always gift us with wonderful pics :) 

America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs

40 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs

So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, uflux said:

So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists :rolleyes:

Just Italian journalists being as ridiculous as the NZ journalists.

Of course the local journos are going to play up to the local crowd by saying ETNZ are fucking awesome regardless of whether they are or not.

Storm in a teacup.

I clearly remember all the NZ media hype about NZL82, as well.

And we all know how well that turned out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I clearly remember all the NZ media hype about NZL82, as well.

And we all know how well that turned out.

Indeed! But at least we don't have anything weird like the Hula this time round with team members wearing Hawaiian shirts etc at the unveiling

10 minutes ago, strider470 said:

We have our Stuff in Italy too :D

I mean obviously they are right in this case cos we are going to smoke you guys. But they don't know for sure like we do, they are only guessing! :lol:

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I mean obviously they are right in this case cos we are going to smoke you guys. But they don't know for sure like we do, they are only guessing! :lol:

Smoking is not healthy,  you are not a good example for new generations. Nobody should smoke an Italian, or a Cuban etc :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Nobody should smoke an Italian

... but "We have our 'Stuff' in Italy too ;)"

Now I know why you Italians are usually so happy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Smoking is not healthy,  you are not a good example for new generations. Nobody should smoke an Italian, or a Cuban etc :)

I got hot with a Greek chick in the 90s and it seemed good for my health.

Got lots of exercise at least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Indeed! But at least we don't have anything weird like the Hula this time round with team members wearing Hawaiian shirts etc at the unveiling

But you have batwing mains and code zeroes!

Nice interview to Max Sirena. 

Q: is it true that you swept the yard in Punta Ala one of the first days? (he's asking about Max first days in Luna Rossa, back in the 90s. Punta Ala was the yacht club of the first LR challenge, and the base was there)

A: No, that was before, in Livorno, I did it several days.  I painted containers, I went to buy food to put in sandwiches, I bought the bolts from the ironmongery, I washed the chase boats. I wanted to enter in the AC world at all costs and I was ready to do anything, obviously in the context of personal dignity. In Punta Ala I slept inside America Cube. They were different times, and it was the dream of my life, I couldn't miss that chance. 

Ladies and gentleman, Max Sirena. I hope he'll write a book one day.  And, by the way, Max did all of this but he was already a pro sailor, that had won some important races. Still, he worked so hard to get the job. Now, with 2 AC already won, he leads the team, and has the chance to win with LR. Great person, I really admire him. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Ladies and gentleman, Max Sirena. I hope he'll write a book one day.  And, by the way, Max did all of this but he was already a pro sailor, that had won some important races. Still, he worked so hard to get the job. Now, with 2 AC already won, he leads the team, and has the chance to win with LR. Great person, I really admire him. 

Yes. His interviews have been a revelation. 

If by any chance Mr Bertelli throws in the towel after this Cup (losing yes, giving up this time no) then Ratcliffe should put Max on the top of his list to run team INEOS next time. Ben can look after the sailing.

4 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Yes. His interviews have been a revelation. 

If by any chance Mr Bertelli throws in the towel after this Cup (losing yes, giving up this time no) then Ratcliffe should put Max on the top of his list to run team INEOS next time. Ben can look after the sailing.

Should INEOS decide to throw in the towel, Max should put Ratcliffe on top of the list to fund Luna Rossa, Bertelli can look after the style ;) 

• Like 3

So basically he says the stays thing is about the "boom", meaning LR boom is a structural part strong enough to carry the rig up to quite a lot of wind.
This also explains all the backstays fuzz. They basically (over)build the boom in order to get rid of the runners, and now they are likely stuck with all the tradeoffs that this design comes with without the runnerless drag advantage. 
Well, at least LR will have some robustness in troubled water.
Thx @Mozzy Sails for the video. (hope I posted the right one...)

4 minutes ago, Thewas said:

So basically he says the stays thing is about the "boom", meaning LR boom is a structural part strong enough to carry the rig up to quite a lot of wind.
This also explains all the backstays fuzz. They basically (over)build the boom in order to get rid of the runners, and now they are likely stuck with all the tradeoffs that this design comes with without the runnerless drag advantage. 
Well, at least LR will have some robustness in troubled water.
Thx @Mozzy Sails for the video. (hope I posted the right one...)

The single actuator in ETNZ foils was borderline as well but has been accepted.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

The single actuator in ETNZ foils was borderline as well but has been accepted.

I'd say more than borderline. But I still can't believe LR designers messed up that bad in a OneDesign rig area. They should have know better, IMO. 
You can have a chance of getting away with some borderline stuff in many part of the boat, but when it comes to the supplied OD rig you better know very well how to get it measured.

Just now, Thewas said:

I'd say more than borderline. But I still can't believe LR designers messed up that bad in a OneDesign rig area. They should have know better, IMO. 
You can have a chance of getting away with some borderline stuff in many part of the boat, but when it comes to the supplied OD rig you better know very well how to get it measured.

If they did it, I think the rule was in someway subject to interpretation. They have smart people specifically working on those subjects I suppose. It didn't go well, amen, but I bet should ETNZ have done the same, maybe the result would have been different.

8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If they did it, I think the rule was in someway subject to interpretation. They have smart people specifically working on those subjects I suppose. It didn't go well, amen, but I bet should ETNZ have done the same, maybe the result would have been different.

It's still the America's Cup: if you want to push some rule, you better be the Defender. ;)

2 minutes ago, Thewas said:

It's still the America's Cup: if you want to push some rule, you better be the Defender. ;)

Exactly. Li mortacci loro :D (don't try google translator on this, it's wrong)

• Like 1