LR lego world well underway. Mux quality but you get the idea. Tent on the far side has glass doors in and almost complete. Suspended floor like we saw earlier. 

Still no sign of our northern hemisphere friends in person however. 

2074380581_LR-Copy.jpg.afe082df598d5936a25979347bbbba7c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RING RING RING RING JS "um...cia... errr... pronto!" RC "Jimmy, it's me" JS "Who?" RC "Me mate, your old boss" JS "Fuck you Kiwis all sound the same to me mate, and I've

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everyt

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/ Since there are not so much news in these days, here'

Posted Images

7 hours ago, buckdouger said:

That looked like a particularly slow transition through that gybe at the beginning of that footage. Otherwise, she looks quick enough.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, Sailbydate said:

Bugger. Let my guard down there, he b gb. You guys are the best...really. Seriously. Honest. ;-)

That’s more like the SBD I remember, the one with integrity and honesty  (And a good sense of humour!)

• Like 1

New interview to Bruni and Bertelli for the Italian television. You can find it on LR Facebook and Instagram pages. 

Bruni

- every day of sailing is really precious. They keep learning a lot, the boat performances improve day by day. They feel well prepared, but it's never enough. 

Guazzini (skipper / journalist on board on one of the chase boats)

- in a few weeks the team will go to Auckland. Top speed is more than 45 knots. 

Bertelli

- You can feel how fast the boat is going from the outside, not onboard. The boat is very stable, so you don't feel the speed when you are on it.  Average speed of the chase boat following LR is over 40 knots. First time onboard LR he thought what Leonardo Da Vinci would think about this kind of boat.  

• Like 5
On 8/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, he b gb said:

That’s more like the SBD I remember, the one with integrity and honesty  (And a good sense of humour!)

Other than his disdain for Aussie's,  SBD has been a knight in shining armor within these forums. Great sense of humor and personality plus shining through his PopEye Avatar.! He's a true Anarchist but unlike some of the keyboard warriors that trash his forum..! :D:P

Also, I'm thinking something, I'd like to know your opinion on that. In the double helm configuration I think we're focusing only on the Spithill / Bruni double role. What if there are others double roles in that configuration? Maybe there will be also two mainsail trimmers, one for each side, changing role, so when one is trimming the mainsail the other one is grinding, adding power or doing something else. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

New interview to Bruni and Bertelli for the Italian television. You can find it on LR Facebook and Instagram pages. 

Bruni

- every day of sailing is really precious. They keep learning a lot, the boat performances improve day by day. They feel well prepared, but it's never enough. 

Guazzini (skipper / journalist on board on one of the chase boats)

- in a few weeks the team will go to Auckland. Top speed is more than 45 knots. 

Bertelli

- You can feel how fast the boat is going from the outside, not onboard. The boat is very stable, so you don't feel the speed when you are on it.  Average speed of the chase boat following LR is over 40 knots. First time onboard LR he thought what Leonardo Da Vinci would think about this kind of boat.  

https://m.facebook.com/LunaRossaPradaPirelli/videos/2496809933877232/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Finstagram.com%2F&_rdr

• Like 2
8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Other than his disdain for Aussie's,  SBD has been a knight in shining armor within these forums. Great sense of humor and personality plus shining through his PopEye Avatar.! He's a true Anarchist but unlike some of the keyboard warriors that trash his forum..! :D:P

Jeezus, Terra. Cut it out. I'm blushing.

What are you doing, Saturday night? ;-)

• Like 3

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/

Since there are not so much news in these days, here's an old interview of Vasco Vascotto and Checco Bruni with the Italian Guys, Vittorio D'Albertas and Pietro Pinucci. @Xlot had already posted the translation when the interview was published,  so it's not hot news, but it's interesting anyway. There was some serious audio issue, so sometime it was a problem to understand what they were saying. The interview is dated 3 June. If you find other old (or new) interviews in Italian that you want to be translated on this forum feel free to ask, I'll do my best. Enjoy ! 

- (Bruni) First training after the lockdown went very well. They are sailing consistently, the conditions are perfect in Cagliari.

- (Vascotto) They keep improving day bay day. They know that they are on the right direction on many things.

- Asked about the Ineos keel, Bruni call it a "bad copy", joking. He agree with V. D'albertas that it's similar to the Moth's keel.

- Asked about if he wanted a bigger mobile/adjustable portion of the foils, Vascotto answer that there are different types of foils and different philosophies about it. Some foils are better for going fast, some for take off and manoeuvring. He says that it's like learning to ride a bicycle, some decide to start with the small wheels at the sides, some try to ride the bike without them and go as fast as possible. It is possible that the different foil design will be more similar on B2s, but it is also possible that this won't be the case, and who decided to go fast straight away will be faster.

- In light wind conditions (6-7 knots) it will be difficult for the AC75 to stay on the foils for the entire race, because they are a lot heavier than the AC50. The big difference with the Bermuda Cup is that you can't change the foils the day before the race. You have to do a certificate 5 days before every competition phase (Round Robin, Semi final, finals, America's Cup), so you can change something on the boat only between these stages. So you have two choises, go for an all-around boat setup or gamble on a specific wind range set up (which is very risky).

- Prestart will be with the boats already foiling entering the gate

- The simulator is really good, not as good as the real thing but a lot of solutions were tested on the simulator and they usually worked. Bruni says that you can't win the Cup using only the simulator, nor using it too much, but you can't win without it neither.

- Vascotto is very happy about the decision of LR core group (edit: as far as I know, Max Sirena, Gilberto Nobili, Spithill, Horacio Carabelli are part of the core group) to stay in Sardinia for the summer, because the sailing conditions are perfect. Since it's impossible to forecast the entry rules in NZ, they decided to stay in Sardinia until the last moment. He says that AM was forced to go to Auckland (since in Pensacola it is now the hurricane season) and that Ineos did the wrong thing going back to UK, because the Solent it's not such a sailing paradise like Sardinia, where he already had a base.

- About the two helmsmen configuration, Bruni says that they are the only team capable of it, and it could be a great solution to have two "double crew", one at each side of the boat since aerodynamics is everything. They didn't decide yet to use it or not. This configuration (now is Vascotto speaking) it's not easy, another team can't copy it in a short period of time, since it require a lot of training. He says also that this configuration allows to use all the talents of the crew.

- Both Vascotto and Bruni says that the AC75 is an incredible boat and that the regattas will be amazing to watch.

- Vascotto doesn't like the boundaries, but he aknlowledge that they are useful in keeping the boats near, and that without them it would be difficult also for the televisions taking wide shots of the two boats. He jokes that in case of a separation they had to go on the Moon to take the shot, since the boat are so fast.

- First regattas will be focused on doing manoeuvers right without errors, specially on the start. The boundaries set a limit for the strategy.

- Pre start will be similar to the Bermuda edition, but upwind, so it will be more exciting since if you fall off the foils it won't be so easy to get up again (and the opponent fly away).

- Bruni says that the boat is hard to helm, not only because they require a lot of precision but also for the position and the splashes. He says that the AC75 is similar to a gigantic moth.

- Vascotto says that they are really happy about the boat design. From what he heared in various interviews he thinks that other teams will copy LR design, but he hopes that since they were the first they will be some step forward anyway.

- Again asked about the Ineos keel function, Vascotto answer that only Ineos designer can answer. What he saw was that the UK boat lost a lot of speed every time it touched the sea, so maybe that's the keel main function. He adds that it's important to be humble, because every team has the very best designers and sailors. There are some things on the other boats that they don't understand, and they don't know their purpose.

- Every team has 4/5 different size for the headsails. The main difference is the size, they work all at the same wind angles, so they have quite the same features.

- Sails are the only exceptions to the 5 day certificate rule, so you can mode the boat by using different main/head sails.

- The Rule requires the sales to weight a certain amount of kg, so if you are using a main/head sails configuration that weight less you have to add the remaining weight, and you can put it on the center line of the boat. Vascotto tells that what really change the weight of the sails is the Code 0, if you don't use it you have to add 90kg of weight, it's the only ballast yu can use to change the weight distribution on the boat, you can decide to put more weight in front / on the back of the foils.

- The limit for the AC75 is not the wind, but the waves. With 4/5 meters of wave you can't sail, that's why ACE chose 4 different location for the regattas. Some are more distant from the coast, that is worse for the viewers but better for sailing, since they are more protected spot.

- The Protocol doesn't set a wave limit. It's a decision of the Race Director to eventually cut off the race. He can choose to move the race to another spot.

- Vascotto is sure we will see dry-lap ragattas from the start.

• Like 22
8 hours ago, rh3000 said:

@Zaal thanks so much for taking the time, and making the effort to translate and provide those notes! :-)fro

Count me in with others here please @Zaal  Some excellent insights.

Also from  your recent post "First time onboard LR he (Bertarelli) thought what Leonardo Da Vinci would think about this kind of boat." 

• Like 1

Thanks zaal! I listened to part of the interview but missed some interesting points :)

Just one small remark. Regarding waves limit that 4-5m number by checco is a fake number he said. They get some trouble in much less waves (i suspect more like 2, 2.5 metres)

Michele

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 17mika said:

Thanks zaal! I listened to part of the interview but missed some interesting points :)

Just one small remark. Regarding waves limit that 4-5m number by checco is a fake number he said. They get some trouble in much less waves (i suspect more like 2, 2.5 metres)

Michele

Enough swell to disrupt the flow over the foil surface, I'd imagine. Not a great deal at all.

2 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

... and out to Orewa for a storm surf!

Fuck orewa, some of the best surf I've had in NZ was takapuna reef in front of the boat launch at low tide and howling offshore..epic

• Like 2
2 hours ago, barfy said:

Fuck orewa, some of the best surf I've had in NZ was takapuna reef in front of the boat launch at low tide and howling offshore..epic

I've heard of the mythical Takapuna reef but am in Akl so sporadically I've never had the opportunity. First port of call would usually be Daniels or Te Arai

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I've heard of the mythical Takapuna reef but am in Akl so sporadically I've never had the opportunity. First port of call would usually be Daniels or Te Arai

Forestry, or the Mangawhai River Bar work too.

8 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Diamond shaped point, right and left. Easy to spot on the cam. I live up near shippies now...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Nothing special, other than Pietro Sibello is the mainsail trimmer (I did not know that).

Happy he is getting a good role, after all the struggles he had (end of 2008 Olympics and 2012 missed participation)... I just met him once, and he seemed to me like a great guy.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

over the stile, into Te Pahii (tepahii.nz) over the hill, down the long drop, from Elliots is 3rds (third beach from the road?)

Ha, thanks for the info, never bothered to go that far before. If Elliot is maxed out with a big NE swell it might be a better option.

Today we have closed our training period in the waters of Cagliari. For almost three years we have worked hard to be ready for the 36th America's Cup challenge.We want to thank the Sardinia Region, the Municipality of Cagliari, the authorities and all the bodies that worked hard on this project and supported us with confidence during our journey.Our base of operations will move to Auckland, New Zealand, in view of the upcoming America Cup appointments.

′′ Goodbye Cagliari ′′

The Italians are on the way!
  • Like 4

Geeez. Can't wait until these guys get down here to Auckland and we encourage Weta, mikeNZ and RG train their cameras on them.

Then we'll get see what they're made of. I suspect they're right on the pace too.

• Like 2

i found a 5km model the other day

that should be good enough ( lacking anything else )

for the odd reading

19 minutes ago, barfy said:

Bit too early to send anyone of to the golfcourse to die?

it does golf yes  ( or anything requiring ranging )

its use for whats important here however

is

the speed function

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968023498.html

here is a 2.5 km model ( with all chopped after the ? .. thanks rob )

3 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

is

the speed function

But it doesn't correlate wind direction...so about as useful as tits on a lobster for getting an idea of who gets to the top mark first.

Well..if you serve some up I'll be keen to enjoy it with beer :D.

I reckon with the huge cant angles available with this class, we will see the winning team pull some astounding angles or vmg out of the bag. The original designers,etnz,although arguably biased, have said this boat will eat up the track. And it will be angles we have never seen before that will do the eating. I'm not sure we have had any good observations on this other than smack daddy and his yellow line tacks..and then not even

not going to be able to get good vmg data till race day

louis v at earliest and possibly not till the ac will the best come out

the ac after this one should attract a lot of interest

known tech

proven concepts

enough sailors and designers on the market to guarantee a possible success 

truly an inspired idea

working well

going to be worth watching .. for sure

4 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

not going to be able to get good vmg data till race day

louis v at earliest and possibly not till the ac will the best come out

the ac after this one should attract a lot of interest

known tech

proven concepts

truly an inspired idea

working well

going to be worth watching .. for sure

massive assumption there that they'll use the same boats again.  Long time since that's happened even when teams (oracle) have defended successfully.  At the rate the world is going the next AC will have 1.5m social distancing rules built into boat specification and clear rules on the size of the Prada logo for your face masks.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

massive assumption there that they'll use the same boats again. 

they dont have to use the same boats again

just the same tech ( foiling mono's )

i cannot see them going away from foiling  ( they might but i see the odds favouring it )

which means there isn't a lot of options left

8 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

they dont have to use the same boats again

just the same tech ( foiling mono's )

i cannot see them going away from foiling  ( they might but i see the odds favouring it )

which means there isn't a lot of options left

Whatever they reach for design wise for AC 37 let’s hope it will attract more contenders as this cycle will be like dancing with your sisters.

3 hours ago, phill_nz said:

Not with you on this one: name one unaffiliated design lead say Bertarelli might enroll for his comeback in AC36. He did say this was the main problem

3 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Adam May?

Be my guest, feel free to entrust 150M and four year’s endeavor to him

[ok, I would have said the same about Martin Fischer, and apparently would have been wrong]

I could see a planing non foiling mono if LR win. They always seemed to want the old style of sailing with people humping sails onto the bow.  Perhaps they will fall in love with this design but for the last couple cups their goal has seemed to be a big TP52 type boat. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Be my guest, feel free to entrust 150M and four year’s endeavor to him

[ok, I would have said the same about Martin Fischer, and apparently would have been wrong]

I think it is hard to guess who would excel at a role like this without being in the room. I would not have guessed Bernasconi would have been elevated when he was. 

It's also not hugely helpful looking at past AC results, there is only one winner, luck is a big factor, and you can't guess who will come up with the winning ideas next time around.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

I would not have guessed Bernasconi would have been elevated when he was. 

I think very highly of Bernasconi but it’s possible that his elevation was a result of Holroyd moving to greener pastures. 

• Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, RMac said:

I could see a planing non foiling mono if LR win. They always seemed to want the old style of sailing with people humping sails onto the bow.  Perhaps they will fall in love with this design but for the last couple cups their goal has seemed to be a big TP52 type boat. 

The problem with that approach is in the event of a legal shitfight with the Challenger/s and things all going doggy, you will need the fastest thing on the water. That must always be in the back of your mind. 

• Like 1
On 8/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, phill_nz said:

i found a 5km model the other day

that should be good enough ( lacking anything else )

for the odd reading

is

the speed function

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968023498.html

here is a 2.5 km model ( with all chopped after the ? .. thanks rob )

Is the Enter button stuck on your laptop per chance?

• Like 1