23 minutes ago, hoom said:

I hope they are really going to let the public round the outside as depicted there.

That's not the 'public' you're looking at - those are full functioning bots. Not only did LR's first boat turn out pretty well, but they have by far the most advanced  'entertainment'/'cross training' for the crew during the mandatory quarantine. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RING RING RING RING JS "um...cia... errr... pronto!" RC "Jimmy, it's me" JS "Who?" RC "Me mate, your old boss" JS "Fuck you Kiwis all sound the same to me mate, and I've

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everyt

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/ Since there are not so much news in these days, here'

Posted Images

5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It might be a wet drive from Cagliari to Genoa via truck....

I'm pretty certain theres another port on Sardinia other than Luna Rosas base... Theres also a ferry.

Nice for Italy

Grant Dalton, CEO of Emirates Team New Zealand, said: “Italy is a country of fans, among the most enthusiastic about the America's Cup, and we are therefore very pleased that Rai broadcasts the 36th edition of the Cup live. throughout the national territory. It will be an exceptional televised event, from mid-December to mid-March, when one of the teams will lift the America's Cup to the sky. "
Max Sirena, skipper and Team Director of Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, added: “Since its first America's Cup challenge in 2000, Rai has supported the Luna Rossa team and helped promote sailing and the America's Cup. towards an ever wider audience. We are therefore happy that Rai has renewed its link with the America's Cup in this edition, broadcasting all the regattas live and thus allowing all our fans and friends to follow us throughout the competitive calendar, during which we will be committed at most, to be present until the final race ".

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.rai.it/ufficiostampa/assets/template/us-articolo.html%3FssiPath%3D/articoli/2020/09/Americas-Cup-in-esclusiva-free-to-air--50ebd9ac-c4c1-4f25-bf18-af2f11ae15ee-ssi.html&usg=ALkJrhj-SWZiNrIMbGpfWPTiWD-2M5XkfA

^ Excellent news indeed,, a guarantee that the event will be covered as it deserves. Previous Cups had top commentators - Paul Cayard being an Italian favourite - just wonder if it’ll be sourced on-site or from the home studio, damn quarantine

Of interest to non-Italians may be the RaiPlay live and on demand streaming site, assuming it’s not embargoed

4 hours ago, Xlot said:

^ Excellent news indeed,, a guarantee that the event will be covered as it deserves. Previous Cups had top commentators - Paul Cayard being an Italian favourite - just wonder if it’ll be sourced on-site or from the home studio, damn quarantine

Of interest to non-Italians may be the RaiPlay live and on demand streaming site, assuming it’s not embargoed

Still often joke with my wife about Cayard's name for Jimmy in the 07 cup on Rai "Giacomo James Spit-heel".

On 9/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, The_Alchemist said:

They are most likely transferring it to another vessel for the long trip to NZ.  The "big lift" looks to be just a cargo ferry.

267835528_LRB1wrap1.thumb.jpg.f5208bc59ac17b9a8d7eb0b30365addd.jpg

Happy Buccaneer is still in Genua. 

This vessel here was located next to Happy Buccaneer in Genua and is now on route to the Suez canal. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:268539/mmsi:246456000/imo:9197947/vessel:SLOTERGRACHT

Could be that LR is on board. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, buckdouger said:

Following the link in the article I visited Luna Rossa's booth at the virtual boat show (https://www.milanoyachtingweek.com/events/luna-rossa/)

I clicked on the Cup history link. I suspect they have the wrong flag for NZL, right?

Capture.thumb.PNG.5f3963f705505d28ef75ee912d858163.PNG

• Like 1

Surely Kiwis must be used to be people getting their flag confused with the Australian one and don't get upset about it?

I'm used to yanks being confused about the relationship of UK, Great Britain, British Isles, England, Wales, Scotland , Ireland and NI. Doesn't get under my skin.

Or for that matter than 2/3 of Americans couldn't place the UK on a world map. (Especially since 20% couldn't place the USA on a world map either)

WOW!
Just in:

PRESS RELEASE

BRAD BUTTERWORTH JOINS COR 36 

The four times America’s Cup winner joins COR 36, Challenger of Record of the 36th America’s Cup presented by PRADA, in the capacity of External and Institutional Relations Officer.

New Zealander Brad Butterworth (OBE) - four times America’s Cup winner, America’s Cup Hall of Fame inductee and multiple World Champion - one of the most respected yachting figures worldwide, has now joined Challenger of Record 36 – the organizer of the America’s Cup World Series Auckland, the Christmas Race and the Prada Cup Challengers Selection Series – with the role of External and Institutional Relations Officer, to create a contact figure and facilitate a direct communication flow with the New Zealand hosts and local Authorities.
Brad’s America’s Cup experience is an additional asset on which COR 36 can count to deliver a successful event, and his knowledge of the country, of the people and of Auckland will greatly facilitate the decision process in many of the matters connected to the Event.
Brad Butterworth declared “I have known the America’s Cup Italian fraternity for close to three decades and have always appreciated their enthusiasm for the Cup and their genuine and transparent sportsmanship. It is therefore with the same enthusiasm that I have accepted COR’s proposal to support them in the final phases of the organization of the America’s Cup World Series Auckland, the Christmas Race and the PRADA Cup Challengers Selection Series. I am thrilled to be involved once again in the America’s Cup, the yachting event I cherish the most.”

butterworth_skipper_tact_2.jpg
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I clicked on the Cup history link. I suspect they have the wrong flag for NZL, right?

Right. 

4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Surely Kiwis must be used to be people getting their flag confused with the Australian one and don't get upset about it?

I'm used to yanks being confused about the relationship of UK, Great Britain, British Isles, England, Wales, Scotland , Ireland and NI. Doesn't get under my skin.

Or for that matter than 2/3 of Americans couldn't place the UK on a world map. (Especially since 20% couldn't place the USA on a world map either)

Yep. At least you're on the world map mate. Half the time we're left off, or worse, attached to Australia!

7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Right. 

Yep. At least you're on the world map mate. Half the time we're left off, or worse, attached to Australia!

Minor detail but those thieving Aussies plagiarised our flag their national flag up until 1954 was the Union Jack

The Kiwi national flag has been in use since 1902.

16 minutes ago, RMac said:

Wow you Australians have some serious tides

H, ha. That could explain those delinquent cartographer's error - they referenced Google Earth during the flood tide. Muppets!

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Minor detail but those thieving Aussies plagiarised our flag their national flag up until 1954 was the Union Jack

The Kiwi national flag has been in use since 1902.

Ummm, no. :lol:

Jimmy Spithill Interview: "The AC75 is quite a lot different from past boats"

by Red Bull Content Pool 17 Sep 07:25 NZST

Australian Jimmy Spithill has been the skipper and helmsman behind two America's Cup victories and believes that his new Italian team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli can reclaim sailing's biggest prize as he travels to Auckland for the PRADA Cup challenger series.

Spithill won his first title in 2010 thanks to BMW Oracle Racing's 2-0 victory over Swiss team Alinghi, then followed up in 2013 with Oracle Team USA by coming back from a -2 penalty score at the start to win 9-8 on the final race from Emirates Team New Zealand.

For his latest tilt at the famous trophy, the 41-year-old must first get his Italian boat past two American teams and the British boat led by Olympic legend Sir Ben Ainslie for the chance to challenge defending champions Emirates Team New Zealand from March 6-21, 2021.

Here is what the Sydney native had to say from Luna Rossa's Sardinian base ahead of the autumn trip to compete on New Zealand water:

How are things coming there in Sardinia?

We've been testing and developing multiple components, and we're getting close to finishing development of Boat 2. Meanwhile, we already have some team members in New Zealand and our base is starting to go up there.

Will you definitely be the person at the helm in Auckland?

We're going to nail down our crew once we get a bit closer to the racing. In sport, nothing is definite!

How difficult is it to move a team and assets almost 19,000km in the current conditions?

It is always a big logistic operation in the America's Cup and, given COVID, it's even bigger. We have to do it on a staggered basis because only so many people are allowed to land in New Zealand each day and it's not just the 100 people on the team. Take me - I have a wife and two kids, so it's four of us. Our plan is to be operating in Auckland in mid-October.

The AC75 that you'll be sailing - has there ever been a boat like this?

No. It's quite a lot different from the boats in the past two America's Cup cycles. Those were foiling catamarans, but this is something else completely - a monohull with hydraulic foil arms. Though in one way it does remind me of the AC72 we sailed in 2013, because that was so new and no one had done it before. This feels like just as big a step.

What about your teammates?

It's a great mix. We have sailors who have been involved in successful America's Cup programs and a range of disciplines in the sport, and some really good young Italian talent who have impressed me. The next generation are so much further educated and developed coming in. Thanks to technology, they've had access to watch and learn and get themselves up to speed and, ultimately, they put the team before themselves. That's the most critical thing.

Luna Rossa has to race against three teams in the PRADA Cup to clinch the Challenger spot in the America's Cup Match, so it's not a given that you'll be facing New Zealand...

No, not at all. The Challenger Selection Series is going to be extremely tough. Every team has what they need in terms of resources, so it will come down to the team that makes the best decisions and can win races.

You've been in the America's Cup as both Challenger and Defender. Which do you prefer?

If I could choose, I'd be the Defender because you've got a 50 per cent chance of winning. Although being the Defender is also extremely difficult, because you have a target on your back and you have to help organise and run the event. As much as you try to separate the racing from the other side, that part still takes some energy. Plus, as the Defender, you just don't get to race as much... but I'd still want to be the Defender.

You skippered Oracle Team USA against New Zealand in the past two America's Cup matches, and you're an Australian to boot. Will you be public enemy number one in Auckland?

You know, New Zealand is an amazing place, and Kiwis really appreciate competitive teams. They respect nothing more than a team that leaves it all on the battlefield, like their own Team New Zealand or the All Blacks, and that's what we aim to do on Luna Rossa too.

So, in other words, you've got a lot of respect for each other?

Yes, and I respectfully want to beat them!

08-27-40-yandy295162.jpg

22 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

by Red Bull Content Pool 17 Sep 07:25 NZST

Australian Jimmy Spithill has been the skipper and helmsman behind two America's Cup victories and believes that his new Italian team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli can reclaim sailing's biggest prize as he travels to Auckland for the PRADA Cup challenger series.

Spithill won his first title in 2010 thanks to BMW Oracle Racing's 2-0 victory over Swiss team Alinghi, then followed up in 2013 with Oracle Team USA by coming back from a -2 penalty score at the start to win 9-8 on the final race from Emirates Team New Zealand.

For his latest tilt at the famous trophy, the 41-year-old must first get his Italian boat past two American teams...

This article lost credibility here.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

And they don't have to put up with Trump talking about the Austrian Bush fires.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fish7yu said:

by Red Bull Content Pool

Lost it here for me...

Gotta say, poor Jimmy is looking old and tired in that photo :-( He should switch to something more therapeutic than bull hormones..

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Lost it here for me...

Gotta say, poor Jimmy is looking old and tired in that photo :-( He should switch to something more therapeutic than bull hormones..

Actually, I thought the exact opposite. He looks at optimum power-to-weight, fighting fit and ready to rumble to me. One of us, is likely wrong.

2 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

I think the usual confident smile is not there.  My penny's worth?

I guess he's a little apprehensive about getting the helmsman nod. 

One thing's for sure, he has NOTHING to lose this time around...and another reasonable chance at redemption. "Imagine if these guys lost from here", comes to mind. I hope he gets that nod.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, fish7yu said:

For his latest tilt at the famous trophy, the 41-year-old must first get his Italian boat past two American teams and the British boat led by Olympic legend Sir Ben Ainslie for the chance to challenge defending champions Emirates Team New Zealand from March 6-21, 2021.

Crikey that's what drinking too much Red Bull does to your brain.

14 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

WOW!
Just in:

PRESS RELEASE

BRAD BUTTERWORTH JOINS COR 36 

The four times America’s Cup winner joins COR 36, Challenger of Record of the 36th America’s Cup presented by PRADA, in the capacity of External and Institutional Relations Officer.

New Zealander Brad Butterworth (OBE) - four times America’s Cup winner, America’s Cup Hall of Fame inductee and multiple World Champion - one of the most respected yachting figures worldwide, has now joined Challenger of Record 36 – the organizer of the America’s Cup World Series Auckland, the Christmas Race and the Prada Cup Challengers Selection Series – with the role of External and Institutional Relations Officer, to create a contact figure and facilitate a direct communication flow with the New Zealand hosts and local Authorities.
Brad’s America’s Cup experience is an additional asset on which COR 36 can count to deliver a successful event, and his knowledge of the country, of the people and of Auckland will greatly facilitate the decision process in many of the matters connected to the Event.
Brad Butterworth declared “I have known the America’s Cup Italian fraternity for close to three decades and have always appreciated their enthusiasm for the Cup and their genuine and transparent sportsmanship. It is therefore with the same enthusiasm that I have accepted COR’s proposal to support them in the final phases of the organization of the America’s Cup World Series Auckland, the Christmas Race and the PRADA Cup Challengers Selection Series. I am thrilled to be involved once again in the America’s Cup, the yachting event I cherish the most.”

butterworth_skipper_tact_2.jpg

"the role of External and Institutional Relations Officer, to create a contact figure and facilitate a direct communication flow with the New Zealand hosts and local Authorities"

A sorta "onshore tactician", so to speak.  If only LR had hired him sooner they would have avoided their snafu over the national flag.

Interesting to note that Billy B is such a distant footnote to Cup history that his new and exalted position has so far rated zero comment here!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

This has grown on me over time. It was always my preference of the final five, but I think it’s withstood the test of time, so far. 

Because it actually follows proper flag design rules.

Its simple, visually striking/unique & cleverly incorporates multiple relevant meanings :wub:

23 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

"the role of External and Institutional Relations Officer, to create a contact figure and facilitate a direct communication flow with the New Zealand hosts and local Authorities"

A sorta "onshore tactician", so to speak.  If only LR had hired him sooner they would have avoided their snafu over the national flag.

Interesting to note that Billy B is such a distant footnote to Cup history that his new and exalted position has so far rated zero comment here!

Good to see Brad with his toe back in the murky AC pond. 

34 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Interesting to note that Billy B is such a distant footnote to Cup history that his new and exalted position has yet to rate any comment here!

I suppose everybody knows the history of the 5 traitors, and maybe also that Brad needed a minder during that Louis Vuitton bash in Auckland. I know that Dalts does not like him very much, but what do the resident Kiwi's here think of him?

And how well will he be getting on with the other new Luna Rossa sign up, Bruno Troublé?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Not sure if it makes you feel any better or worse, but the Royal Air Force moved both of you in the 1960s . Having moved Australia 500 miles they could show that land based aircraft could cover somewhere or other, and thus there was no need for the proposed RN aircraft carrier

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I suppose everybody knows the history of the 5 traitors, and maybe also that Brad needed a minder during that Louis Vuitton bash in Auckland. I know that Dalts does not like him very much, but what do the resident Kiwi's here think of him?

And how well will he be getting on with the other new Luna Rossa sign up, Bruno Troublé?

I would hope that Brad would not need a minder while in NZ. As much as I find him as a divisive character, he has every right to be in New Zealand. Time has moved on and we need to put the 2003 campaign behind us. I hope and it’s a forlorn hope at that....that he might try and put his snide comments aside. In many ways he’s out of the same mold as GD, the important difference being that GB was more loyal to his country.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Jeez I don’t why they dragged him out :wacko:. I can smell the moth balls from here :rolleyes:

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well I see he crews on that farmer fellas boat when he races it every year in the boi.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

I have mixed feelings about BB. Respect for his immense sailing brain. Disappointed he used it against NZ, but understand he was given an opportunity to set himself up financially, and he chose to go with that. Who wouldn't have gone for the readies in his situation? 

6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I have mixed feelings about BB. Respect for his immense sailing brain. Disappointed he used it against NZ, but understand he was given an opportunity to set himself up financially, and he chose to go with that. Who wouldn't have gone for the readies in his situation? 

?

See ya later Pete and Blair, I understand you need a place on waiheke close enough to the water for your sealeg rib to access.

a big logistic operation in the America's Cup and, given COVID, it's even bigger. We have to do it on a staggered basis because only so many people are allowed to land in New Zealand each day and it's not just the 100 people on the team. Takme - I have a wife and two kids, so it's four of us. 

Oh. Additional hurdle

6 hours ago, Xlot said:

Had missef that. Role?

Weta posted this in the ETNZ thread:

On 9/16/2020 at 10:39 AM, weta27 said:

On a more positive note:

America's Cup veteran Bruno Trouble predicts 'a show you have never dreamt of' at Auckland 2021

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122781129/americas-cup-veteran-bruno-trouble-predicts-a-show-you-have-never-dreamt-of-at-auckland-2021-

Love this - he labels the last Americas Cup as “a vulgar beach event smelling of sunscreen and french fries”!

Quite a smart move by Prada/Bertelli to hire the much respected old/ex Louis Vuitton guru.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I know that Dalts does not like him very much, but what do the resident Kiwi's here think of him?

Couldn't give a rat's arse what GD thinks of Brad, actually. Brad is a bloody excellent sailor and a good bloke, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Couldn't give a rat's arse what GD thinks of Brad, actually. Brad is a bloody excellent sailor and a good bloke, IMO. 

True, but his role here is shoreside. That article above is interesting....

Barf posted that BB sails with Farmer. It’s possible that the nearly-same time that Farmer posted his oped is related to this BB announcement. 

Wasn’t there a time after AC34 SF where BB ‘volunteered’ to take over at ETNZ, but ran into resistance by GD? 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

True, but his role here is shoreside. That article above is interesting....

Barf posted that BB sails with Farmer. It’s possible that the nearly-same time that Farmer posted his oped is related to this BB announcement. 

I'm not interested in the possible politics of it, Stinger. Just happy to see Brad back involved, albeit off the water.

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I'm not interested in the possible politics of it, Stinger. Just happy to see Brad back involved, albeit off the water.

He’s a very bright guy for sure, can be entertaining too for how blunt he sometimes is :) 

Bruno T? Not sure what he brings... The champagne and cocktail crowd, maybe? 

Just now, Stingray~ said:

He’s a very bright guy for sure, can be entertaining too for how blunt he sometimes is :) 

Colour, History and Trouble. ;-)

Next thing...Pete Montgomery. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Oh God, that’s right. PJM will drown out both of them! :D 

All we need now is TE and DC to turn up so the circle of irrelevant, old bastards will be complete, eh? Fucked if I know who'd be listening to them though. ;-)

7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

All we need now is TE and DC to turn up so the circle of irrelevant, old bastards will be complete, eh? Fucked if I know who'd be listening to them though. ;-)

Yep - The AC has several fearlessly opinionated characters! 

In this cycle, Patricio may top them all in the rare moments he speaks, that guy is a trip! 

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I hope nobody sprays coconut air freshener around Trouble. It might remind him or the horrors of suntan lotion. ;)

And yet, who could not be stirred (in a good way) by the smell of surfboard wax, Clew? Next to freshly brewed coffee, it's heaven scent (pun intended). ;-)

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Guerilla theatre: carry hidden odiferous bags of French fries whilst reeking of Hawaiian Tropic anytime you can get near Trouble.

"Sacre bleu. Qu'est devenu le Pacifique Sud?" raged Monsieur Trouble.

• Like 1

Thinking about Trouble’s hiring at LR, and wondering why the heck LR would bother, I suppose he now qualifies as an AC team member, able to get a visitor visa to NZ?

It’s a possible ‘can of worms’ angle, since AM or any team could ‘sign’ people of all kinds to enable them to just party down there :) 

29 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Wait a minute, are you inferring that Dalts is not?

You can't be serious!

And anyway, I couldn't give a rat's arse what Brad says about Dalts or anyone else for that matter. He is history, while Dalts is working his arse off for ETNZ, every day, for years.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Weta posted this in the ETNZ thread:

Quite a smart move by Prada/Bertelli to hire the much respected old/ex Louis Vuitton guru.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

My thought exactly

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

45 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Wait a minute, are you inferring that Dalts is not?

I don't think he is, both can be bloody good sailors and blokes, but not get along... 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

That photo must predate the Auckland waterfront rebuild?

Bit hard to say, since that photo was taken somewhere in Europe, Stinger. But you knew that, right? ;-)

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, of course ;) 

Nice boat, my wild guess is she was lying northwest of Genoa somewhere. Gorgeous. 

No courtesy flag, so maybe France?

23 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

No courtesy flag, so maybe France?

:D 
I had reservations at a superb restaurant in Paris one evening, in the 5th arrondissement like we had planned off a personal recommendation, for me and my then lady friend. The waitress asked what I’d like for starters, then looked at Koren asked ‘And for your mother?’ 

31 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

:D 
I had reservations at a superb restaurant in Paris one evening, in the 5th arrondissement like we had planned off a personal recommendation, for me and my then lady friend. The waitress asked what I’d like for starters, then looked at Koren asked ‘And for your mother?’ 

A being so gallant, you probably confided to Koren, as the waitress left, "That bitch must live in a bat cave, honey". ;-)

47 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

A being so gallant, you probably confided to Koren, as the waitress left, "That bitch must live in a bat cave, honey". ;-)

To be honest, she is almost ten years older than me, but yes, we had a good time. Laughed about it, made sweet love, did two more trips afterwards but both to Ireland and then Italy instead :) 

Italians are so much more ‘sociable’ than the French, very different cultures.

Another favorite part of Europe for me is the Rhineland, from Mainz then north down the river. That food, music, historic scenery and culture resonates for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

That photo must predate the Auckland waterfront rebuild?

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Bit hard to say, since that photo was taken somewhere in Europe, Stinger. But you knew that, right? ;-)

C'mon SBD, thats the medieval Fuel Farm storage facility that has just been redveloped for the new tream bases! ;)

• Like 2